Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplained mouth pain.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unexplained mouth pain.

Up until a week ago, while I have a somewhat sensitive mouth, I have not had severe pain. When I went to the dentist, I found out I had a couple of cavities. When I had them filled, on the left side it only numbed in the front for some reason. The dentist didn't know why.

Since then, I have had severe pain in my nerves where I had the cavities filled. It has gotten so that I can't have anything even a little cold. The pain radiates into my head, giving me a severe headache.

Did the dentist do something wrong? All of the explainations I can find for toothaches like this would mean that I had pain before. I can't find a reason for why I would have paing only after I went to the dentist. I have had cavities filled before and have never had this problem.
If you had cavities they can affect the roots causing some pain exposure to air i just had the same thing for a week before i ihad it filled it was sore and cold food forget it.  my dentist told me to use sensodyn toothpaste and it really helped you use it for awhile then try regular toothpaste again this worked for me good luck.
there are a few possibilities here. could be the cavity was very deep and possibly the nerve is involved now (anytime you do something to a tooth the risk of a root canal is there) or if it is a chewing surface the filling could be high. does it feel like you touch that tooth first when you bite? or it could be that you just have to wait it out. id call your dentist to check it out. gelkam is a better solution than sensodyne. its a flouride gel you use in addition to toothpaste. as far as the numbness situation was it a lower tooth? with upper teeth its easy to numb because the nerves run to each individual tooth, in the lower you have one for the right side and one for the lower and you can possible numb part of the tooth. he probably needed to infiltrate around the individual tooth itself. so call your dds and let them see you or tell you what to do next.