Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplained odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unexplained odor

I had a knee replacement in August.  Since then I have developed a weird odor that only I can smell.  It is not a "dirty" odor just a sickenly rather sweet smell.  I am not taking any new medication.  I have type 2 diabetes which is under control. Could it be the material in the replacement causing the odor?

This discussion is related to Bad Body Smell !!!.
Tags: sick odor

Hello babs63

That smell you are smelling are called keytons.  Only certain people can smell this smell.  I am one of them.  And from the way you describe it, you are one too.  Keytones are caused by diabetes.  If I were you I would go get checked out ASAP.
Organic compounds that result when body fat is broken down for energy.

Glucose is usually used by cells for energy. But, when there's no insulin to help it transport out of the blood and into the cells, the body has an "energy crisis" and starts to break down body fat into ketones as an alternative fuel source. This is called ketosis.

High blood glucose levels (over 250 mg/dl) are one sign that the body may have high levels of ketones circulating in the blood. This can progress to a serious complication called diabetic ketoacidosis. Testing the urine is one way to check for ketones. You can pick up urine test strips at your local drug store.  Just follow the instruction to do the test.  If I remember right if the test strip turnes pick you have ketones in your urine, plus the strip tells you if there is blood, glucose, and a couple other things.  But If I were you I would go get checked out just incase.  I hope this helps.

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A sickeningly sweet smell is usually due to diabetic ketoacidosis and if felt in urine and sweat. I understand that diabetes is under control—was a gylcosylated hemoglobin done to check the over all control?
The second possibility is menopause. Get FSH, LH, estrogen and progesterone levels checked. If found in menopausal age group, then hormone replacement therapy will help take care of the odor. Take care!
Thank you both for your help.  I spoke to my medical doctor about this and she thinks it is the meds I am taking.  After my knee surgery in August, I was in the hospital and then in a rehab facility for a total of one month. They were very diligent in checking my blood including blood tests. However, I have never used the urine strips but I will now..Have another appt with my doctor in November and will discuss the situation further.
BTW, I had an "energy crisis" seven years ago when I wa first diagnosed with diabetes so I know the feeling.  I could barely get out of bed.  I feel good today.
Thanks again for your responses. You have given me something to consider..