Unexplained swelling!
My husband, 24, has been suffering from a swollen right foot for 2 years now. Last year his right hand began to swell but it would return to normal at random times. Now, unfortunately, it seems to be permanently swollen and at the start of April this year, his left hand has swollen up the same. They are double their normal size, including his right foot, but his left foot is normal.
We've been to numerous doctors all with the same thing to say, "Well that's weird. I don't know!" He has had x-rays to rule out fractures, he was tested for cancer (this was done by administering a blood test to count his white blood-cell count. Is this how all cancer is tested?) but it came back negative. He was checked for carpal tunnel, tendinitis, blood clots, but everything has come back negative.
We have tried sole-supports in his shoes, hose-socks, ace bandages, icing and elevating, low-dose aspirin every day, custom fitted wrist brace, but nothing has helped!
Our budget, unfortunately, can only handle so much considering we are completely without insurance and we can't afford to continue to go to doctors who tell us they don't know and they can't help us.
Does anyone out there know or have come across anything similar to this that they may be able to help give us an idea of our next step or what it could possibly be? Because we are out of ideas and are desperate to know the cause!
does he do alot of walking?  if so he could have to much fluid in his foot and hand...tell him to stay off of it for a few days and to have them elevated and see if that helps...p.s.put ice on it to...brittany
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Huge swelling of a limb or two unrelated limbs can be due to filariasis or due to lymphangitis. Please discuss with your doctor and rule these out.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Have you had his thyroid checked? It is a problem usually seen in woman but can also be a problem with men... its major symptom is abnormal swelling and many doctors cant (or don't) check it.
You need to see a Endocrinologist to have it checked for sure.