Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unknown Burning Pain in Colon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unknown Burning Pain in Colon

For the last 2 years or more, I have been dealing with at times, extreme  burning pain in my colon area. I went to a doctor to see if it was hemorrhoids. I did have a fissure which was taken care of last year and there is no more occasional blood.

However this was not the main cause of the pain whcih is still present and at times unbearable. What I have is a almost constant burning sometimes itchy, sensation and tightness, which makes it impossible to sit down for any length of time. I have a healthy diet consisting of lots of fresh vegetables and no red meat to keep myself regular and avoid pain when using the bathroom.

I'm in my 20's, not overweight, in otherwise in good health, allthough my energy levels are not good because of the constant pain. I also did a 3 month colon and intestinal cleanse from Dr. Natura which was fine, but did not help alleviate the problem. . What could be wrong?  Please help, I'm in hell right now.
i also have been experiencing this constant colon burning for months now, and the specialists cannot diagnose it.  have you found out what it is yet?  The pain, as you say is unbearable.

Thanks for the post.
There are several possibilities to your problems. In case your symptoms are relieved to some extent by passing stool, then, most probably you are suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. “Irritable bowel syndrome is a disorder characterized most commonly by cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. IBS causes a great deal of discomfort and distress, but it does not permanently harm the intestines and does not lead to a serious disease, such as cancer. Most people can control their symptoms with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications. For some people, however, IBS can be disabling. They may be unable to work, attend social events, or even travel short distances.”  Please refer to : http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/

Since you also complain of itchiness, I feel it could be due to worms and parasites in your colon area, which can be diagnosed by stool test. There is a possibility of  fungal infection, which is common in diabetics. So if you are not a known diabetic, it would make sense to get your blood sugar level tested.

There are other causes too. “A common cause is excessive cleaning of the anal area. Moisture around the anus, from excessive sweating or from moist, sticky stools, is another possible cause. In some people, a loose and/or irritating stool may be caused by a high intake of liquids.

In addition, drinking certain beverages, including some alcoholic beverages - especially beer - milk, citrus fruit juices and drinks containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea and cola, may be aggravating for some people. Similarly, some foods that may be a problem include chocolate, fruits, tomatoes, nuts and popcorn. Other rare causes of pruritus ani may include pinworms, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, hemorrhoids, anal fissures, anal infections and allergies.” Please refer to: http://www.med.nyu.edu/crs/info/anorectal9.html

However it is difficult to diagnose without examining. You may also need to take some blood tests to rule out diabetes, X-rays and stool tests to reach a diagnosis. So please consult your doctor. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else.

thank you for your response.
i too have been having the same problems!  you're post was very helpful.  My only question is, what doctor should i go see? a primary care, or a gastreologist?

thanks!

Michelle
Thanks for writing to the forum!
I am glad the post was helpful and am sorry for the delay in replying. Please consult a gastroenterologist for this. However if you need a referral, you may need to go through your PCP. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
A related discussion, burning bum was started.