Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unknown and recurring tendon/ligament burning/tearing pain followed by ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unknown and recurring tendon/ligament burning/tearing pain followed by numbness

For the past several years I've had long periods (upwards of 6 months at a time) of  excruciating burning/tearing pain in various tendons or ligaments when stretched.  

The first occurrence was in my right knee.  If I bent my knee near its maximum extent (such as when kneeling, crouching or climbing into bed), I experienced an incredibly painful tearing/burning sensation in the area of my patellar tendon.  I would immediately react and straighten my knee and the pain would completely dissipate within several minutes.  Afterward the area would feel about 50% numb, as if injected with a mild local anesthetic that was slowly wearing off, for several hours.  I mentioned this to my doctor and he just dismissed it as "you probably just strained your knee", but I hadn't.  Normal walking, running, jumping, etc caused no pain, weakness or instability and there was no swelling, bruising or other external indication of injury.  It was only while fully bent that the pain occurred. This episode lasted for at least 6 months.  Then, as quickly and mysteriously as it appeared, it was gone.

Some months later, I went to step up on a curb and I experienced the same tearing pain in my right Achilles tendon when I bent my foot upward near its max extent.  Just as with the knee, the pain subsided within a few minutes and a numbness was left behind.  This lasted several months as well, then suddenly disappeared.  

Next, the same happened in my right knee again, although this time it was in my Lateral Collateral ligament area.  This lasted for several months as well.  During this particular episode the numbness that followed the pain never completely subsided, though.  When the episode was over, I was left with a persisting slight numbness and slight pain sensitivity to external pressure (sensitive to the touch).  

About a month ago my fourth episode began and continues today.  This time it's along the outside of my right big toe and occurs when I extend my foot downward and point my toes, such as when putting on a pair of pants.  Like the last episode, the numbness is not subsiding after a pain attack.  

Overall the pain is short-lived when I forget myself and accidentally induce it.  It's more of a nuisance than anything, but at the same time it's troubling to think that there could be an underlying reason which may be serious.  

So I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this and has a name to put on it so I can either put my mind at rest or get treatment without having to battle the usual "oh, you probably strained it, take some ibuprofen and see what happens" from my doc.

Thanks!!
This is exactly like what I have experienced ... my has been the arch of the foot (several times), elbow, and now just below the shoulders on the outside of the arm.  Unfortunately, I too have been unable to get a diagnois of any kind.  Doctors seem to think it is somehow in my head but I too am concerned that I could be doing some kind of real damage.  I have read other postings on running sites that indicate the same symptoms and everyone points to PF but that is not what this is.  I hope that someone will respond with some answers but in the meantime it is good to know that someone else is experiencing the same things.
I too have experienced the same pailful tearing feeling on the side of my left knee. I have not an injury to my knee since I was 13 which I am not 36. I am very active and have been regularly working out using the Eliptical, Treadmill and the Arc Trainer plus doing the weight machines and lunges and squats and have never had a problem now all of a sudden I cannot fully bend my knee or it feels like it is burning and tearing.
I too have been experiencing this but after a few months decided to see a neurologist thinking I injured a nerve.  I have within 3 weeks had a MRI of the brain to rule out MS.  I will be seeing my doctor sometime this week to check for results.  Will keep you all updated
I too have had some similar symptoms.  I am male 37.  Some time last year I noticed a tearing feeling on the outside of my foot.  I now have been feeling a similar tearing feeling on the top of my hand coming down from between my index and middle finger and then it goes numb for a period.  What gender are the rest of you?  Some things like MS tend to be more common in one sex vs another.
Exactly the same symptoms here - I have Diabetes so the first thought was that my blood sugar was out of control so that I might be getting what is known as Diabetic Neuropathy, but after testing my A1c (glucose counts) it was found that was not the case.

Since then, every time I mention it to my doctor I get the same response, take some Motrin, it will go away, etc.  But now I am dealing with four different spots on my body at the same time, and none of them are losing the numbness or super-sensitivity to touch.  One on my right hand between my pinkie and ring finger, one on my left thumb at the joint, one on the outside of my right knee (same issue with bending, but nothing else), and one on my right foor inside on the big toe.

Of course if I don't move just right everything is fine, but when I do something that is just right it feels like something has ripped through my skin, muscles, bone, etc.  It really is painful sometimes.

I was searching in the hopes that someone else not only had the same issues, but had a diagnosis as I am getting tired of spending $20 for my doctor to say take some motrin.
Same Same. Only in my feet, Down the top of my big toe and my heel. It started 4 years ago down the side of my left foot to my little toe. Huge burning /tearing sensation when I extended my foot out. AS in to kick a ball or to kneel on the floor. This came and went for a while but slowly got worse...moved feet and now it is a constant numbness in my right foot to my big toe and heel - which pulls on the tendon when I extend my foot upwards - opposite to the toe pain. The constant numbness is annoying. I'm a 36 Y/O Male Fit Fat person who enjoys a tipple. I've been tested for gout...negative, and research on gout doesn't match my symptoms. I had accupuncture which seemed to work the first time, as pain went away for 6 days, so I had it again. It didn't work as well the second time. Maybe I'll try a third. I don't really know what to do next. I'll keep in touch.
I'm a 51yr old female, who has been suffering for well over a year now, with tearing burning pain on the top of my right foot. Research tells me I'm probably suffering from, Extensor Tendinitis- inflammation & pain on the top of one's foot. Yet, I've not found an explanation for all of my pain. Working on my feet in retail, the pain began shooting up into my calf, then up in the muscles surrounding my knee, and now moving up into the inside of my thigh. When the pain is at its worse, it generates from top of my foot all the way up into my thigh. It swells on a daily basis and feels as though there is a 20lb weight wrapped around my leg. At night it is very difficult to fall asleep because the pain is more pronounced trying to relax. My doctor has yet to come up with a cause/treatment. Now, I'm experiencing this same burning & tearing in the outside of my left foot, real close to  the ankle bone. This is always in pain since I bend my foot to move and walk. The pain has begun moving into my calf. I found this forum quite by chance. I'll keep my fingers crossed that somebody will be properly diagnosed and will post their prognosis.
I have had the same problems. First time I noticed it was when I knelt down on carpet to fix something. As soon as I was fully on my knees, I immediately felt that burning/tearing sensation that would not go away until I straightened out the knee and relieved the pressure on it. It seemed as though there were a nerve that was being pinched every time I knelt down. Soon the right side of my calf started to go slightly numb and now it is constant. The newest development has been this burning pain along the top of my right toe. It only lasts a few seconds, but it has been happening on a daily basis for the last few months. I have seen my doctor, and he suggested that it might be a problem with one of my nerves being pinched in my lower back. I have had back problems for a few year now, and it may be that there is a pinched nerve causing the problem. I had a MRI two days ago, and I will get the results in the next 10 days. I'll post the findings so maybe this will help someone else.
I too have burning, pulling, tearing sensation followed by numbness, and it appears to be spreading.  Starting in my right foot, recently moving to my left foot, and now my thumbs and area on top of hand between 4th & 5th finger.   I have a clear nodule on the thumb and notice a reduction of muscle tone, despite active hands.   My doctor doesn't seem to hear me and suggested a shot of cortizone into one foot.   I see something more systemic progressing and am not quite sure what to do.   Both feet are getting large numb spots now on the bottom.  It's rather confounding.
CWE

I too have burning, pulling, tearing sensation followed by numbness.  Mine is on the outside of my left leg just below the knee.  As far as I can tell, my patellar tendon.  The only time it bothers me is when I press against it as when I crawl onto the bed on my knees then roll to that side of my knee.  No pain at all until that area is pressed against the bed.  Then a painful ripping or tearing pain just as all describe.  When I run, no problem, nor any other time.  What is diturbing to me is that this problem might spread!  I'm thinking that I just pulled something, but it is too similar to what you all have.

I am curious about something here: do any of you have plantars row or plantar facitas, which in my case started with nodules along the tendon going from the big toe along the arch and continuing (?) as achilles heel.  Originally about 10 years ago I had a doc look at it and he said it was common.  So I stopped worrying about it, but as the years passed, i noticed that the roundish nodule became 2 then 3 and they sort of flatened.  I am not sure but i think this has spread to my achiles.  It seems that as long as i keep exercising, the morning stifness in the heel does not happen.  My point is maybe ther is a connection to the 2 problems?
I'm a 42 y.o. female who was diagnosed with plantar fascitis a few months ago.  I get a stabbing pain in the bottom of my right heel that radiates to my big toe.  After some time, I developed a burning pain in my left Achilles Tendon and a numbness, tingling, and stiffness (both on the left foot).  I mentioned this to my podiatrist and he says that we'll have to "look at other things".  I know that these symptoms relate to diabetes, but a recent blood test shows no signs of it.  I was also told that these symptoms occur in someone who's had diabetes for years.

I don't have nodules in my feet, but I have experienced many blocked glands/ducts in my life.  I don't know if there's a correlation to this either.  I've had mastitis, cholesystitis, blepharitis (blocked tear duct), and a Bartholin cyst.  Also, I've never been able to sweat easily when working out.  I always got very hot and red in the face without any real perspiration.  So, I don't know if this is somehow related to my feet pain.  If there's anyone who's had alot of blocked ducts, I'd like to hear from you.

Anyway, I wish Magnator and everyone else in this forum the best of luck in getting some answers to these troublesome pains.

Regards.......  
I can't beleive that not one of you have mentioned hyper mobility syndrome!

I have hypermobile joints, they move further beyind their range than they should.   Also in my hands and feet I have movement in 'joints' that should be fixed.

I experience pain in my joints and often damage ligaments.
Because I experience pain with my hypermobility it is called hypermobile syndrome.

Everyone is different but I have joint pain in my hands, fingers, feet, knees, elbows, shoulders, hips and neck.
I get ligament problems in my feet, achillies and knees and I thihnk sometimes my hip pain is more tendon that joint pain.

I had physio thereapy to teach me how to walk in a way that did not make certain joints worse and to strengthen some muscles to reduce the strain.
I had inserts made for my shoes which where great although I didn't continue my prescription for them as I also have ADHD and I'm rubbish at doing important things like that.
The therapy helped a lot but I still have pain.
The tendon that runs from my heel to my foot just 'went' yesterday and I didn't even do anything to it!
It will take weeks maybe months to heal now.

I hope that info my be of use to someone
I am a 42 yr old female.  And I also have swelling, tearing/ripping feeling in my ankles.  It started about a year ago in my right foot and my Dr thought I had torn a lig. so he put me in a air cast for 2 months.  It helped a little.  Now I have the same pain in both ankles.  Would realy love to know what this is.
hey everyone...
just wanted to say.... i have the same  complaint as magnator it sounds like...
so went to the local gp and was told one of two things.....
1, diabetes ( getting checked as we speak)
2, damaged nerves from my spine around the lumber... ( mri scan needed through nuero)
hope this helps any one...
Hi everyone.  I have the same exact symptoms.  Went to the doctor but doctor had no idea.  Mine started with my heels and where ever it affected it gets numb.  right now I have it on my rightside of the knee.  It starts out like something is tearing inside and burning when bend and pressed upon.  It's very surperficial, no actual joint pain.  if anybody out there knows what's going on please let me know.  I am just glad that other people are experiencing the same.  That way I don't feel like I am crazy.  
I have had same symptoms in my right ankle, which took 3 years to heal.  Now it has happened to my right little finger joint, it looks fine but there's a burning pain when I touch it.  I wonder what it means.
I have all these symptoms, however it is in my lower right front calf and when I walk somtimes it literallyfeels like I am tearing something then it burnes and then goes numb.  Havent went to the doctor yet because it doesnt happen all the time. when I tried to find out something it took me to something call DVT.  Which is a form of thrombosis which cause blood clots and it said to take some drug called levornex or something like that.  I dont think this is it either but I know this isnt in my head either, my husband says it is a lack of water but whatever, that isnt it either.  Also I am a 38 year old female.  
I have been having this pain in my foot for about a month. On the outside of top of my right foot between the fourth and little toe. If I bend my foot wrong, I experience a sudden painful tearing-burning pain followed by numbness that lasts for a few minutes.

I was diagnosed in high school with chronic tendonitis w/ bursitis in both heels....that pain is not constant and is minimal discomfort 3 or 4. This new pain is at least an 8. I am concerned after reading other posts that this will spread to other joints and that a doctor will not be much help. I am a 38 yr old female and athletic.
A possible source of our set of symptoms.  Burning, tearing, pulling...then numbness in non-symetrical fashion suggests to me Herpes Zoster, stage 3.   Stage 1 - chicken pox,  Stage 2 - Shingles,  Stage 3 - an assymetrical neuropathy w/ it's unique set of symptoms such as what we describe.

If I were a research scientist, I'd likely be running some clinical studies., But, alas. The question is, then, Has everone had chicken pox or shingles who is complaining of the symptoms?    CWE
I to have the same problem.  Can anybody tell me if there is a Doctor in the house or doing the rounds or are we all in for a bit of self diagnosis.  Somebody must be able to provide an if, then, else as my Doctor is about 100 and I don't suppose he will have a clue where to start.
Please let me know the results of your MRI. When kneeling to do some painting I experienced the tearing sensation below my knee.  It felt like I had cut myself or my skin was actually being torn.  This only occured while kneeling and the area felt somewhat numb to the touch the rest of the time.  Then a month later I felt the same tearing senstion on the back of my heel. This again only happened when my foot was extended or flexed a certain way.  And now a year later the same feeling on the opposite heel. I have had lower back problems most of my adult life, but have not had any real problems in the past year when these symptoms first appeared. Is it possible to have a pinched nerve on in my lower back and not experience back pain? I have noticed several people with these symptoms and many of them saying they were going to have an MRI, but have not seen anyone post the results. Please let me know. Thanks!
Just found this thread via Google - fascinating!

I am 40, male, 188 pounds, run regularly (20 to 30 miles a week)

First pain was the kneeling knee variety.   Exactly as described above but now gone.

Currently enjoying symptoms in left heel and outside/top of left little toe -both when fully extended.  Doesn't hurt when I run, only when I stretch.

Physio hasn't a clue.  Haven't seen a doc.  
It's good to find a discussion about this, but disappointing to read that many of you still don't know what it is!
In my case, the ripping, tingling pain is in my left hand around the knuckle of my index finger down to where the thumb begins. I feel it when I extend my arm straight out and any time I turn my wrist clockwise. It's especially bad when hooking a bra. Yikes! And the numbness never goes away. It's exactly like PSU Wayne described it: 50 percent numb.  Exactly like your chin feels an hour or so after the dentist injects novocaine into your lower gum.  
I've only had this for about a week and a half and feel discouraged by what you're hearing from your doctors . Seems like a mystery ailment. :(  that can't be diagnosed. But I'll bring it up with her at my upcoming appointment anyway.
Wow, so glad to know I'm not alone!. With regard to the chicken pox thing, I had chicken pox at age 4. Around 3 years ago the tearing, burning, numbness thing started on the left side of my left knee and is still numb. In Feb 09 I got a very mild case of Shingles, left a scar on my forhead form the blisters. 3 months after that the tearing, burning, numbness thing started in both heels and last night an incredibly painfull episode started up in my right knee. I think you might be on to something.
Wow, so many things in common including NO answers.  A couple years ago I jumped up to swat a wasp down from my living room ceiling.  As soon as I left the floor, it felt like someone took a baseball bat to the back of my left knee. I swear I heard it snap.  I fell to the floor like a rock.  I couldn't straighten it nor bend it.  It was stuck.  After ER and several weeks on crutches it got better.  It's still my "trick knee", coming out from under me with sharp but very brief pain.  
Then last year I went to pick up my daughter having a temper tantrum on the floor and it felt like someone hit my hand with a hammer.  I looked at my right hand and my middle finger was touching my thumb, the ligament visably over the nuckle!  I put it back in place myself and soon as I closed my fist it went again.  After a brace and weeks of therapy, it's now my "trick finger" with periocic cramping.  
I battled chronic fatigue, then elbow pain.  Found out I had limes, got treatment, assumed I had fibromyalgia, take lyrica.  I suffer from sharp pin point stabbing pain.  I honestly look down to see if I'm getting stung.  I walk for excercise and often get a "trick twinge" while doing nothing but walking that will disable me for days.  My legs and hips often feel disjointed.  Tonight I shifted my weight from one foot to another while cooking dinner and my arch snapped and it's been difficult to walk on it all night.  I can feel the "snap" every time.  
It's not my imagination and I'm tired of doctors looking at me saying "hmmmm, I see, how long has this blah, blah, here's another pill, oh it doesn't work, here's another, doesn't work, up the dosage, blah blah".  What the hell?  I'm 38 and feel like I'm 78.
Reply
Message

Message exceeded the 10240 character limit Send  
My 47 yrs old wife had similar feelings in her right leg what PSUWayne has described in his Aug 15, 2007 09:32AM post.
One ortho surgeon told her that it could be related to menopause.
Her knee joint pains for the last 2 years were diagnosed by Drs as arthritis.
Her bone density scans were marginally okay.
Three weeks ago she underwent surgery to remove a soft lateral meniscal cyst on inner side of right knee (larger than a ping pong ball).
A week ago Dr put her on Vit. D 50,000 IU x1 per week and daily calcium supplement.
She was getting better until the last 2 days. Last night, after a short visit to the mall she was crying in pain.
Recent MRI of her spine has revealed disc problems in L4 L5.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
for the past 6 weeks i have developed pain in the ligaments of my right knee which feels like i am straining my calf muscle and ligaments when i bend my knee and find it impossible to kneel down due to the extreme pain. I can walk no problem and stairs are no problem, but as soon as I rest my leg either by sitting on a chair or the leg raised, it is very difficult to straighten or walk on for a few minutes. It seems like the back of my knee can not straighten or lock into standing position. If standing and I transfer my weight onto the right leg, the pain is continuous from the back of the knee, down the calf and into the foot. It feels like a muscle/tendon strain, but I have not injured the leg in anyway. I do suffer from sciatica from a slightly compressed disc, but the pain usually goes down the left leg and is a different pain altogether. I am seeing my GP tomorrow afternoon. I do not have any swelling or numbness or tingling sensations. I have had chicken pox as a child but never experienced shingles. I have been told it might be a tendonitos of some kind, but i am still worried. I am 41 yrs old female and concerned that so many of you suffer with the same / similar problem and no-one knows what it is.???
Many of the same symptoms over 12 year period. Am a 52 yr old female w/ training as massage therapist, so I know about the body and mechanics. Had chicken pox @ 28. Abt 10 months ago felt pain in lL foot on lateral edge near toes. Squeezing my foot sent me through the roof. Went to 2 podiatrists with no explanation. Xrays showed no arthritis, but I do have a situation w/ bunions. Bones on L foot so spread that surgery is necessary. Decided to wear orthodics from 2nd dr. only wore athletic shoes prescribed. Dr scheduled foot surgery and to my shock my R knee blew out on me while I was pre-op. Had to cancel as R knee could not bear weight.  After 5 weeks of “wait and see” MRI showed some tearing to lower lateral meniscus, but dr said not enough to worry abt, that pain was probably arthritis. I scheduled arthroscopic surgery anyway, because I can’t function. Then THIS MORNING L knee showed same symptoms as R knee did 6 weeks ago! Today I am moving around my house in tears, either on crutches or scooting on my butt on the floor because I am scheduled for R knee surgery tomorrow. Now my L knee can’t bear weight! I have a very healthy lifestyle of good food and regular exercise (only helath issue is hypothyroid—use low dose synthroid). I also have a spiritual life and a devoted husband and loving adult children. My pain is real and intense, yet drs are wishy-washy. Today I searched the web thinking I must have some tendon/ligament ailment. Still looking for logical explanation, after fully meditating on the mind-body thing w/ no epiphany.
Knee pain and numbness....Pain is like someone tearing the skin back off my bones....Doctors are clueless, but let me ask this: Have any of you been diagnosed with  "Lichen Planus" ?   RM
My apologies for the rather lengthy span since my original post.  I had expected to get email notifications whenever someone replied to my post, but apparently not, so I assumed no one was commenting on it.  I'm rather shocked at how many others have the same or similar issues.

To bring you all up to date and to answer a question or two that has been posed, since my original post I have continued to add to my growing list of places where this affliction occurs - knee again (this time the doctor said it was an inflamed bursa sack just below the patella - take ibuprofen, didn't help), outside edge of the left hand from the wrist down to the tip of my pinky finger (didn't even tell my doctor about that one) and currently the top of my left foot from the ankle down to the first joint of my big toe (due to the limited flesh between the skin and bones in the foot, I can actually touch the affected tendon along most of its length and get a painful reaction, in addition to the pain caused by extension of my foot).  The one in my foot began about a month ago, but I don't have my next doctor appointment until next month.  After seeing so many of you post similar experiences, I think I'll press the issue a bit more with him this time and see what he has to say.

To answer the question about chicken pox, I did have CP when I was about 5 or 6 years old.  I've never had shingles.

As for back pain issues, I do have middle back pain that was X-Rayed about 6 years ago and described by my chiropractor as mild arthritis.  I've also seen a neurologist for the past several years for an unrelated sleep issue.  As a result, I've had a brain MRI (nothing abnormal) and an EMG of my legs (all normal).  Recently I mentioned my back pain to him (I hadn't mentioned it previously because I never thought it relevant to insomnia).  He sent me for a lumbar spine MRI to rule out nerve issues that may result in restless legs.  The MRI was normal, although I wish he had ordered the MRI for higher up my spine because it stopped short of the vertebrae where the x-ray indicated arthritis some years ago.  Anyway, the suggestion above about lumbar nerve issues seems to not be my problem.  

So, as you can see, I continue to be afflicted with no real answers to offer anyone.  But I will make it more of a point to keep tabs on this post in hopes that one of you may one day get a satisfactory answer from a doctor and help cure us all!  Thanks everyone.
This is really illuminating to find so many others suffering almost identical symptoms. I am a 58 year old male pretty fit and in generally good health. My problem is the intense tearing pain I get in my right knee when I bend at a certain angle and at a certain time. I can't define either because it's so uncertain. I can do situps now with no problem. We all seem to refer to this pain as a tearing pain as it feels like a wound that has been stiched together is tearing apart. I look for blood and there is no sign of it, nor is there a swelling in the knee to indicated any hematoma of any kind.
I haven't had any medical opinions on the problem yet but intend to visit a GP who I expect to refer me on to a specialist. It appears from this forum that a GP will have no idea anyway. Perhaps my particular circumstances offers a clue: About 11 years ago I had to give up Karate because of a pain in my right knee. I had extreme difficulty in having this diagnosed but eventually my orthopedic surgeon sent me for a MRI. They discovered what he termed a "bruised bone" which had only been recently at that time been added to the list of possible injuries because of the newfound ability to detect this through MRI. This is similar to a bruise on tissue but bearing in mind that it is to bone where there is little blood flow the injury does not repair itself easily. The explanation that I recall is that the bone is made of a lattice like structure which has some week points caused by the "bruise". It's in fact torn and further effort on it just excarbates the wound.
I have given this detailed explanation because the tearing I am experiencing is in the same spot as the bruised bone and perhaps the tearing we all speak off is the tearing of the lattice like structure of the bone. How do others feel about this explanation? By the way my original injury to the knee, I believe, was 10 years before the time I had to give up Karate. Maybe some of you can relate your injury to some injury going back 20 years or so. If so I would love to hear your stories.
Thanks for contributing a possible avenue to explore.  I know I can certainly say that I've had my fair share of banged-up knees from various sports in the past, so that would seem to correspond with what you're saying; however, in my particular case, the various other locations where I've experienced this exact same type of pain have never been injured in any way.  Plus, in my case, most of my pain has certainly been in my ligaments and/or tendons because (as is the case currently on the top of my foot) I can actually touch the tendon and case a mild form of the pain.

Please do post a follow up of what your GP has to say and, if you see a specialist and/or have any tests done, what the outcome of those are.  I figure the more collective information we all have on the subject, the more we might be able to help guide our doctors to what the true cause is.

Thanks very much!
A related discussion, recovering from surgeries was started.
Good to know I'm not going out of my mind or at least not the only one that is.  Just the other day I was kneeling down to clean a toilet and felt this tearing sensation on the left side of my leg just below my knee.  As someone posted earlier, I expected to lift my pant leg and see blood like my skin had torn.  That ripping sensation  was then followed by a period of numbness.  I do not have any pain any other time and found this one quite by accident.  However, now any time I kneel on that leg (which happens more often than one realized) I have that tearing sensation followed by marked numbness.  I am on my feet all day and have no trouble walking or anything else - it's just when I kneel and my leg gets put in that bent position.  This is very unnerving and quite painful when you're not hurting and forget and kneel down and there it is!  I have had lower back problems for some time and I'm wondering if there isn't a connection there.  I am not one that will rush to the doctor to give such ambiguous symptoms or complaints because I know it will get me nowhere.
Am anxiously waiting to see if anyone comes up with a diagnosis!
My recent GP visit suggested that the teraing feeling i''m having (under knee cap, right outside of foot, periodically in heels, 1 spot at a time, for 3 - 6 motnhs each location) - could be from the muscles separating themselves from the bone.  She could not provide explanation as to why this would happen or how to possibly stop it from happening so I am in the same unknown as the rest of you but will keep trying to find out what it is.
I am a 63 year old female that started having the tearing feeling on the right side of my right knee about 6 weeks ago.  It only happens when I am on the floor playing with my grandchild or climbing into bed.  Running presents no problem.  
I was interested in what Hiltonio said about an injury.  About 2 weeks before my symptoms started, I was on the floor in the kitchen and accidentally banged my right knee on the floor.  I still remember the pain it caused.  Then one day I actually thought my skin was being sliced or pulled off (tearing feeling).  It comes and goes.  Right now it is having the numb feeling because I just accidentally stretched it playing with my granddaughter.  Boy does it hurt when it "tears".  
Has anyone come up with any answers???
I was just at my GP yesterday and she scheduled an x-ray and if that shows no arthiritis (which I'm sure it won't after reading all these posts) then I go to a orthopaedic surgeon to see what he has to say.  I will check back in and let everyone know what I find out (if anything)
I am amazed at how many people have this with no answer.  I have had the same symptoms for a few years now.  It started in my heel, moved to outside of my foot. It would go away for a while but leave numbness in the area.  Now I have it in my right knee.  It is unpredictable as to when it will happen.  

I do a lot of biking.  I thought it had to do with the biking because I only get it in my legs.  It never hurts when I ride.  It only hurts if I move it a certain way...  Seems like a lot of people posting are pretty active... I thought maybe it has to do with proper stretching and recovery after training?... I have no idea.  

I did have shingles last year.  I thought it was something older people or babies get (I’m 35).  But the doctor said it was probably because of the amount of riding  and training.  He said sometimes endurance athletes can get shingles because their immune system is down do to all the training.  Maybe it’s related somehow?  I’ll look on some endurance type forums and see if there are any posts...
I have been living with this for at least 6 years now...the pain initially moved around...Big Toe, left knee, right knee...then it decided to take up full time residence in my left knee.  Like most of you, I have NO problems with activity--it doesn't slow me down at all.  But when I kneel on it the wrong way...the burning, searing pain is unbelievable...it goes away as soon as I relieve the pressure, but the numbness stays and has been spreading.  I can touch the outside of my left knee and barely feel anything.  I had an MRI done of my knee last year...came back negative.  Doctor thinks I have nerve damage from some long ago injury...my knees did take a beating 30 years ago...I am 51 now.  Nevertheless, most recently I am having the same problem in my left elbow.  When I lean on my forearm at my desk, I've literally yelped a few times due to the same pain symptoms.  I am clueless as to what this is...and it sounds like we are all looking for answers.  I am concerned that this is getting progressively widespread.  I did have a cyst on my achilles years ago that is still there, and I have noticed one in one of my fingers that also has the symptoms.  Keep the thread going and please report back with any news...thanks
I was just curious, after reading this thread, if anyone has been on a quinolinine antibiotic, that is man-made?

I too, at age 40, experience terrible pains, in tendons, ligaments, joints and muscles.  That has been since 4/2008.

At that time, my youngest, (7 at the time) and I had the most bizarre, virus go through us.  Bizzarre as in the many ways it quickly morphed into yet another symptom.  We both were a massive wreck for a good month, and while my husband and older son had it too, they did not experience it to the extent that we did.  We both experienced similar symptoms, and yet many different ones too.

The thing that is pertinant to this discussion is that the tendon and ligament things really did not begin for me until this past summer(2009 confirmed), I was experiencing allergic reactions to the synthetic antibiotics that were given to me - over, and over again, for my never ending sinus infections.  Samples, and numerous different names.

Before the "Virus", I exercised at least 1hr a day, and was doing quite well, as was my son.  Since then, I am lucky to make the absolute necessary things happen in my house, let alone any leisure!  HAHAHAHA.  I recently went to a podiatrist, and received the electric shock therapy, to my heel, for my body to self repair, and it went so wrong that I feel like I need a HOVER ROUND to get around.  He said that he only ever had one other patient have the reaction I did.  Funny thing was, that a ganglyion cyst, I had for quite awhile, did heal, on the other foot.

I keep pulling more tendons, and suffering, and am so worried about my son, now 9, who loves sports so much and has a natural tallent for them all.  I am scared he isnt telling me all he is feeling.  

I have had every test possible, rheumatoid wise, blood, allergy, neuro, Brain, and even sleep studies.  I just want my active life back, and my son to be okay.  I feel in the dark, suffering massivly from this.

Best of luck to the rest of you folks.  I hope you all get well, honestly.  Shorrocks
I just wanted to check in and say thanks to everyone who has contributed their own experiences and findings to this thread.  I started this thread nearly 3 years ago (WOW!) and people are still coming forward with the same or similar symptoms.  I wish we had a definitive answer to help us all by now, but whatever this affliction is, it seems elusive (or our doctors are just reluctant to look beyond the typical "physical strain" causes, despite there being no correlation to those causes).  Anyway, I happen to be in a pain-free period right now, but given past history, I expect something to start hurting any time now.  So let's not give up looking and sharing what we find.  Every little bit of information can help.  Thanks again.

Shorrocks, from what I can recall, I don't believe I've ever been prescribed a Quinolone antibiotic for any reason.  I'm generally very healthy and, on the rare occasion that I do get an infection worthy of a trip to the doctor, I am usually given the standard antibiotics like Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Erythromycin, Zithromax, etc.  Based on your description, you're almost certainly afflicted by the more serious Quinolone side-effects (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinolone), which are known to cause actual tendon ruptures.  It sounds like you're already aware of this, but just figured I'd throw it out there for everyone to check out in case it pertains to them.  If anyone is taking a Quinolone antibiotic and you're having symptoms similar to Shorrocks, you should discuss this with your doctor right away.  For many of us, though, I think the type of pain and how it is triggered is different.  Thanks for your input and best of luck to you and your son, Shorrocks.
At 35, for the last 4 years, I can associate w/ all of the above... along with many, many other symptoms. One thing I would like to add that I didn't seem to see here is that my tendon/ligament/joint problems seem to be hormonally related. The pain is at its worst during ovulation & menstrual cycles - when a lot of other symptoms flare up as well. Late '07, I was diagnosed w/ a pituitary tumor that also displaced my hypothalamus gland... though I've yet to find a Dr. that will agree that the tumor has anything at all to do w/ any of my symptoms. I've been diagnosed w/ Fibro, yet I don't personally feel that my symptoms are consistent w/ Fibro & I was turned down for a Fibro clinical trial because the docs running the study weren't convinced I have Fibro. Anyone else notice any hormonal influences?
Thanks so much for your post!

Yes, I too have been prescribed Cipro (a quinolinine antibiotic) several times before & after my symptoms began. My symptoms had been getting much better over the course of the last year but a few months ago, I kept getting recurring UTI & vaginosis and after several courses of antibiotics, went on Cipro.

Lately, my joint/ligament/tendon inflammation & pain has been getting worse. I would have NEVER associated it w/ the Cipro. Leaves me w/ something to research further & ponder...
I too suffer from the same problems. I can't even remember where it started. I just wish I could remember when it has stopped. (Never) It is in both my hands, on the wrists int the joints of my pointer finger allthe way down the thumb, between the ring and middle fingers on both hands. Swollen nodules can be seen between them. You can actially see my finger swelling. The pain is sharp and consistant, like someones drilling in my joints, muscles, and tendons oh yeah and pinky. My elbows, my shoulders joints and bicep muscles, neck. My knees the back of them feel tight and swollen. Pop when I bend them and hurts! Where your foot creases and bends with your leg burns, tearing. Nthing in my toes yet Thank God. Its so bad I cannot even lift up my two yr old with my hands I have to use my forearms thats only if my shoulders and elbows don't hurt at that time too. I am a 29 yr old female, active, thought I was healthy. Symptoms started after I took some antibiotics for a cyst on my ovary, Doxycycle. A softball size lump appeared on my left bicep area. It started going down and noticed severe pain in both elbows hands wrists and fingers. I went to the dr. he checked for RA, Lupus etc. Nothing. Gave me some anti-inflammatory  meds. They don't work. Went back three times still the same thing "You don't have blah..blah..blah...blah.." but they never told me what was wrong and why this is happening. Then, was prescribed Tramadadol. still hurting
Used to spend hours on computer with my foot resting on the side rail of my bed and knee pressed against the mattress.  After a period of time doing this, one day while out running the mountains I noticed immediately that I had what is called 'drop foot'.  This is when you take a step and when your heal hits the surface, immediately the rest of your foot comes down uncontrollably, also associated with this was a tingling sensation.  I noticed it most when running down steep hills when that same foot would slam uncomfortably on the ground.  At the time I felt this is the beginning of the end of a very healthy life I had lived, and now it was over.  But wait,  could it be something else that caused this?  Could it be the way that I was sitting?  
I bought a new comfortable chair the next day, and by the time I went running again the problem was gone.

Now, move ahead to the present.  As I have written about 2 years ago (?) concerning this burning ripping feeling on the outside of my left knee as described by many here,  could it be a similar problem I wondered?  Then I realized that whenever I drive, as I am sure many of you do, I tend to rest my left knee against the door, which may or may not have something protruding against or into the knee area.  I really think that is what is going on with us all here.  The commonality is simply a compressed nerve!  Yes or no?
Wow - I have found others with the same problem!!!

I am female, 54 (so no hormonal problems) and T2 diabetic (dx 2004 after probably having it for a year)

I have asked on my diabetes forum - http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/forum/Blah.pl? if anyone else has experienced this and a member gave me this link.

Not sure how long ago but I knelt and experienced a hot burning ripping pain on the outside of my left knee on straightening the knee this pain subsided and was immediately followed by numbness, after that whenever i knelt there was tenderness behind the patella and pulling on the side of the knee.

I thought I had ripped the nerves off the underside of my skin - went to the gp who ordered an xray. Nothing was found and I left it at that knowing that each time i knelt and sat right down on my feet it would happen again although to a lesser extent . So I just stopped kneeling on that leg. A few months passed and as I was not kneeling on that leg the issue seemed to subside although I was left with a small area of numbness.

In the last few weeks I have become aware that the area of numbness is spreading and at times I have an odd feeling down the outside front quadrant of my lower leg.

No loss of use of the knee although it feels "different" to my other leg lol

Some years ago (7/8?) I did have a problem with the same leg - I had piriformis syndrome affecting the nerve running down my leg - it was caused by the piriformis muscle in my buttock impinging on the sciatic nerve. It was "cured" by deap massage and exercise. - No problem since.

I do wonder if the 2 issues are connected though - no other similar problems on my body that I am aware of (I have an area of numbness on my left thimb but that was caused by a deep wound damaging the nerves.)

I had intended seeing my doctor but not sure if it is worth it now......
Wow!  Reading your original post (and the relevant posts following it) was a breath of fresh air. The words you use to describe it were perfect, and therefore this was the first hit on my Google search!  It is all that you said: Tearing, ripping, heat, and numbness.  Mine was in my left leg, just below and to the left of the knee.  It seems this is a common area of attack.  It only hurts when bent at extreme angles, and doesn't bother me during regular activities.

I did have Chicken Pox, but no shingles.  The tearing started about a month ago, while I was doing some flooring.  I have a lot more flooring to do, wish me luck!  Any follow-ups to doctor's visits?  MRIs? Still no diagnoses??!!!
Ok...I have burning sensation, tenderness, a little numbness, some little stabbing pains in both calf muscles now for the seventh month in a row. It started with a tearing feeling while snowshoeing last winter. It was ok for a while, a little sore, then it got worse as the weeks went by. I'm starting to think that this is not a physical injury but there's some kind of virus at work  here. Three years ago, during winter, I started getting a burning sensation on certain areas on my bottom legs at night. It would turn on suddenly and last sometimes 30 minutes sometimes a couple of hours and shut off like a switch and the sensation would be in a different location on my legs every night. This lasted 4 months and suddenly went away. I'm still hunting information on these symtoms (symptoms) to find out what it is! Doctors don't have a clue! I'm on my own....
Yep, sounds like the same thing.  Unfortunately I have yet to find anyone with a definitive answer.  I know several people in this thread have indicated they were going for various tests and would post results, but I haven't seen any.  I can only assume that means no answers were gained from the tests.  I hope your symptoms don't "spread" the way mine did and this is an isolated occurrence for you.

About the best I can offer is to try some NSAID pain relievers, like Advil, Tylenol or Aleve (as appropriate for you) and hope that works.  Other than that, a trip to your doctor might be in order.  Maybe yours can be the one to finally figure this out.  Let us know how things turn out for you.  How did the floor turn out?  :-)
I'm getting an MRI next week. I will post the result here.
I am a 33 year old female with psoriatic arthitis.  I just started NSAIDs about 2 months ago.  I recently went to put my 1 year old in the tub when I felt the same tearing pain just below my right knee.  I honostly assumed I had cut myself; it hurt so bad.  I experienced the same numbness afterwards.  Today, I knelt on the floor to pick up toys and had the same tearing sensation.  Please let me know if anyone gets any answers.  I am so tired of feeling bad.  I go to my rheumatologist Tuesday and will mention it to him then.
My son is 12 and a few weeks ago injured his right knee after landing a jump badly during a Freestyle Dance competition. It popped on the floor which he pushed back in and carried on! since then he has been in alot of pain, especially when the knee pops out (forward) has pins needles down the leg and sometime his leg muscles go into spasm. There are audilbe cracks and graunching from the knee. He had pain in the knee a few weeks before the injury. He has had a knee brace and crutches for the last 3 weeks and all was going well until today, when his knee popped out again. He has seen an orthopedic dr who diagnosed loose limbs (hypermobility) and is back at hospital in 2 weeks to see him again and then going for physio. What I want to know is if any of you know of similar prob and how long it will take to mend? and if it will be something that he will always suffer with.
Sorry, I have no experience with this type of injury or condition.  Best of luck to your son.
Yup, that's the one!  Pain so sharp and intense that you think you've cut yourself!  It started with just kneeling at extreme angles, but now it will start when I bend my knee to crawl into bed or pick something off the floor.  Please people, keep posting if you find any answers!  Maybe I'll just have to break down and see a doctor.... ugh!
Sounds like a whole lot of people have the same problems and no answers! I have the same thing. But, I also have a feeling as if the tendons have contracted and I have to pull (mostly on top of feet) the toes down (it hurts!) to get the tendon/ligament to stretch back out. I pick up a coffee cup and my wrist drops down - like the tendon just can't hold my wrist up - and when it does, BAM! That tearing feeling and pain, then the numbness/pins & needles. I've had my knee snap backwards on me when walking (don't dare run - too wobbly) and I get that same pain. I am a 57 year old female and this has been going on since I was 45. I've been told I have Fibromyalgia, but I don't have the diagnostic criteria for it. I've had shingles 3 times. I'm sick of going to doctors who tell me, basically, it won't kill you so get out of here.
Wow! This was great to hear that I am not alone. I have had the burning pain/tearing and numbness in both knees. My heels have tingling stabbing feelings.  I have seen an ortho and was told that it might be nerves waking up???? I did have a fall about 2 months before it started. I twisted my ankle and when it got better the knee started.  Xray showed nothing. Nothing, Nothing, Nothing. It is good to hear that someone else is having the same problem but I am sorry for all of you.  I am 51 year old female with some simple low back problems. I have been told I have fibromyalgia also. But very active and in good health. I would love to find out the cause if any of you find one!
Looks like I'm about to "join the crowd." I have the same tearing, burning pain--so far, always just below the outside of my right knee, and only when I kneel and bend it to its full extent. I'm afraid of it spreading, after reading all of these posts. . . . I'm 50, have mild fibro, had CP (no shingles), and take no other medications, except a mild antidepressant to help with the fibro. Wonder what this could be? I suspect something nerve-related rather than muscular/structural, as it feels like nerve-type pain. Maybe something is pinching? Not going to waste my time with MRIs, but I will mention it to my GP and to my sister, who is a PA. I'll let you all know if I find out anything. Thanks for helping me realize I'm not alone in this; wish none of us had it at all, of course.
Same here ....
Left Knee .. just below to the left ...
if I twist the skin jusssst the wrong way, it's like those arm burns we used to do to each other as kids ... severe burning, almost like an electric shock .... I can touch the tendon on the right side which sends a shock of strange pain to the left side ... some odd numbness after ... it's all the same .... will watch this feed .... have had this for some years, noticed it first time when kneeling ... just about went through the roof ... which is kind of funny as I was about to pray .. :)
Amazing postings! I'll join the group. Just tearing sensation and pain on the outside of my right knee on the lower leg part at full flexion and weight bearing.  I'm 49, white, female, overweight, exercise regularly, had chickenpox, no other diagnosis or antibotics or places of pain. Wow, I was sure I must be unique. Glad to join the group.
I have the same tearing & burning sensation on the left side of my foot. It started about 3 or 4 yrs ago. The whole side of my foot & bottom of my heal are now numb. The day before yesterday I started having the same thing happen to the top of my right foot above my big toe. It is burning pretty bad today and is going numb like my other foot. I sure hope someone can find a reason for all of us. I think most people just think we are crazy. :-(
I have had this just above the ankle, the heel, just below the knee and to the left ... each at different times over years. They usually last months and then slow go away for like up to 6 months or more. It's almost like there is a nerve damage that takes place and doesn't repair quickly, an inflammation like tendinitis or the like ... yes, would be great to get a real diagnosis ...
Wow, this group is getting big!  That's a good thing...I think??  Now if we could only get some answers.  You're right, Doot4, that's how I felt when this all began years ago - like my doctor thought I was crazy and therefore didn't want to be bothered to really consider what might be going on.  I think my doctor has taken the easy way out by calling it tendinitis, despite me insisting it's not (I've had real tendinitis numerous times in the past and I know what it feels like and how long it takes to heal...and this ain't it!).  I understand initially going with the easy answer because, according to Occam's Razor, that's usually the right answer, but still....after repeated occurrences and symptoms that (to the best of my knowledge) don't fit the diagnosis (duration of affliction, no known trigger event, lasting numbness, etc) I thought he'd dig deeper.  Sadly, he refuses to.  Granted, I could go over his head and see a specialist of some sort, but based on what I've heard from all of you, I guess I reckoned it might be pointless.  I sort of hoped I might get lucky enough to have a doctor see this post and perhaps take up the challenge of figuring out what other conditions might fit the bill.  Then maybe some of us could direct our own doctors where to look next, rather than getting the cliche "take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning" answer.  Anyway, welcome newcomers to the group and, if any of you "old-timers" are still listening and have any test results or updates, please let us know.  Thanks!
Hello everyone!  I am a 39 year old female with the same ailment/s.  I became pregnant last November (2009) and around May (2010) began experiencing numbness in both legs (no pain) when sitting.  I was told by my OB that this was caused by the baby pressing on the sciatic nerve.  By late June I was no longer able to drive and had to begin my maternity leave.  Around that same time I started getting a burning/tearing sensation in my right heel when I bent to the right side and downward (couldn't bend at the waist by this point because of my big belly!),  At this point my right hip was entirely numb all the time, as were the fingertips of my right hand.

I had prenatal massage and chiropractic adjustments every other week for the last two months of my pregnancy and the symptoms would be relieved for a couple days, then come right back.  By August my right hip was no longer responding to massage or adjustment and my right hand felt like I had a compression glove on, with a tingly numbness from the wrist down.  The heel pain continued as well.  I was diagnosed with loose shoulder joints several years ago wherein my shoulders tend to slip out of socket slightly and compress the nerves going to my hands, so I attributed the hand symptom to that and the rest of  the symptoms to pregnancy.

After I delivered on August 18, the heel pain disappeared completely and the hip began to wake up; however, my right hand was not responding to the exercises I had been prescribed in physical therapy.  Four weeks after delivery I saw my chiro for a regular adjustment, after which both my hand and my hip returned to normal feeling and have remained that way since (now almost three weeks).  Since then, though, the outer side of my right knee has been experiencing that old burning/tearing feeling and has been about 50% numb (as others described).  Now when I flex my right foot, the tearing feeling in my heel is back, but no numbness.  I plan on returning to my chiro with the symptoms for her opinon.

I really believe this has to be a nerve compression problem and am hopeful that chiro adjustments and strengthening exercises will help, if not cure it completely.  I will update after my next chiro visit.

Side note - I overextended my right knee at age 20 while on a weight machine at the gym and ever since it has been "touchy", but never to this extent.  Also, my baby was delivered via emergency c-section.  I had to have a full spinal block as an epidural wouldn't take on my left side after three attempts at increasing the medication.  My right side remained somewhat numb long after my left side "woke up", though I did have enough sensation to walk within six hours of delivery.

Good luck to everyone!
Just stunning!  

Right pinky finger ligiment/tendon burn, right elbow, knee bent/kneel tearing burn pain, right ankle, left pinky hand edge,  left calf middle back about kidney burn/pull, right achilles/ankle .  (btw I am left handed so it seem my less active side/limbs are affected???)

One comment that i saw, but not too many replies which suprised me.  I had a very definite Allergic Drug Reaction (ADR) to Cipro, as well I have been on Leviquin before that.  this last time was the last when it left me really foggy, depressed for no reason, and after I stopped a few months later came the knee, achilles tendon pain/symptoms.

i bleeive this junk (quinolones ) actually got me "floxed" I beleive is the reaction term.  And these symptoms I am feeling are cause by a degredation or acceleration of some type in our tendons/ligiments.

Cipro, Levequin, and etc.  http://www.antibiotics.org/   and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinolone will show almost 32 drug variants prescribed VERY frequently for almost anything you can think of?  

Explains a lot fo the issues I am reading here including my own......have not heard of a remedy or solution btw.  

Seems outragous allanybody wants to order are tests and time wasters???  Aren't there any real knwoldegable doctors out there?
anybody here?  not too many folks around it seems?
Hi, I too am suffering from these pains.  Started in my fingers 3.5 years ago when I was pregnant with my first daughter.

It pretty much went away within a few months of delivery.  However, it came back during my second pregnancy.  

It's been 7 weeks since I delivered my second daughter and it's been gradually getting worse.  Told the doctor today who looked at me blankly.  She suggested anti-inflammatories, but as I'm breastfeeding, can't take them.

The tearing/burning pain is in every finger bar one, left knee, top of right foot, around half of my toes and down the outside of my left foot.

My knee does seem to be getting better, but no change in the other areas.  I think that's probably cos I can rest that easier (at least not bend it as much).

Would be great to be able to stop this!

PS, I am a 39 year old, not very active female.  I had chicken pox as a child, but never shingles.
Well, welcome to the crowd (not that anyone really WANTS to be welcome in this crowd).  I'm always saddened to learn that there are others suffering from this affliction, but also encouraged that with each new person there is additional possibilities for an answer to emerge.

Thomas, I've never (to the best of my knowledge) taken any kind of quinolone medication.  That said, I don't exactly have a full written record of all meds I've ever taken, so I can't be 100% sure.  I am 100% sure I haven't taken any of them recently and certainly never as a long-term med at any time in my past.  So if I did take such a med long ago, it would have to be proven that the med has a very long reach damaging effect on the body.  The more likely answer (for me, anyway) is that quinolones are not the culprit.  But each person on this post has to look at their own circumstances and quinolones may be to blame for their ailment.

Donna, so am I understanding correctly that you are currently afflicted with this pain in all of the areas you listed at once?  If so, wow, you have it bad.  I'm so sorry to hear it.  Not telling you what to do, but if I were you, I'd certainly be pushing your doctor to dig a whole lot deeper into his/her bag of tricks to try to find an answer for you.  Telling you (or any of us, for that matter) to take an NSAID is pure laziness, IMO.  

Anyway, best of luck to you both and please, if you do find an answer or any potential clues, share it with the rest of us.

Thanks.
Hi, I came across this site when trying to find out what was causing the incredible searing tearing pain just below my left knee any time a I kneel. It started about 6 weeks ago and I am now getting similar but milder symptoms in the same pace under my right knee. I am a male. 60 years of age and was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about 6 months ago. I am currently having genetic tests to see if it is Charcot-Marie-Tooth Syndrome. I will try and find out if there is any connection with this and the pain and keep you posted. All the Best. Michaelgs
Thank you, Michael, that would be nice to know.  Best of luck to you.

Wayne
I have had the same problems for all the above that have written, from my feet to my left knee to my hip and my arms for years. I was told it was Neuropathy being that I am a diabetic. However, I found out I was a diabetic 6 years ago at the age of 37 with no history of diabetes in my family. I have had this problem for at least 25 years, the instantaneous ripping for no reason and the numbness that followed for month’s even years. It first started when I stretch my arms when I yawn and my shoulder ripped and I was in extreme pain. I was told it was bursitis however I don’t know and can not be proven. I can not feel my left knee still to this day from 15 years ago when it first ripped. The numbness recedes and then increases in the area.  About 6 months ago I had ripping in my left hip which turned numb that is a numbness that is topical but feels like burning needles when touched. It moved to my abdominal where I feel the ripping to this day and numbness, recently 2 weeks ago I woke up and felt numbness in my right forearm this is the same place I had ripping 20 years ago and became numb but the feeling slowly came back has of late last year it is too painful to describe if I extend my arm straight or even close it rips from my wrist to my elbow however the constant pain it goes all the way up to my shoulder but deep inside as if my bone is screaming the numbness is back and I can not even put my shoes on or extend my arm without a screaming pain this will be the third time that I have gone to the hospital and told that I need to see a specialist I have no insurance and from what I can tell Neuropathy consists of pins and needles and numbness not a ripping, burning bone scraping pain from what I can tell there are more like me with no answer if I find a doctor who can give me an answer not an easy one that blows me off I will post it until then if anyone can answer this burning and painful question we need it.
thanks for the response PSU Wayne

as i am sure we all feel like we need to begin every sentance  or discussion with a doctor with "well not to sound like a hypochondriac (notice how the medical field even makes that word difficult to spell or communicate?)  

So to fill out my past symptom sheet so that maybe somebody else will see a similar trend.  I just got diagnosed with Retinal pigment epithelial detachment (P.E.D.) and had this in the same eye a few years ago.  fluid buildup or something thathopefully will reslve itself.

I have had digestive issues (of course IBS is the catch-all non diagnosis) however over the previsous 2 years i have had to be hospitalized for diverticulitis, on iv anitbotics, pain meds, and no food for a week until it cleared, subsided.    

I run about 10 miles a week.  so the right knee works good, feel good, i have some cartlidge issues from a 1978 ski accident and aggrivated it 2 xmas ago from a fall over my kids laptop on the floor on the tiled basement floor.  So the right knee thing is really weird, slow bending or kneeling to a point is just a bizarre rippinging burning down the side of the knee and up a few inches to the leg.  you can almost massage the tendon/ligiment right were it hurts.

Same with the right elbow.  (i am left handed, so its not like i play tennis or really do much at all with that arm.  The right hand from the big joint on the pinky finger along the outside of the palm to the wrist is also "tight" and painful under use.   The left hand pinky finger same thing?  

So admittedly over the 100,000 of business travel miles and over 700 nights staying at Marriotts since 1983, I have been out at a few dinners and business meetings or been hangin at loby bars or concieerge lounges.......what i am getting at, i would say i have had an "above avergage" alcohol consumption.  On the weekends this would continue.   So for a variety of reasons, but on of whihc is to better wash my system with healthy liquids like water or decalf tea or etc.   i have recently knocked off the booze and coffee.  

this "pain" or burn is caused by the nervous system.   I am not sure it is being caused by an injury or an "impending" injury by movement or what we are doing?  

It seems "false" so i am experimenting with it being a nervous system problem.

So stimulents, and depressents are OFF my list for the forseeable future?

Okay, so maybe i am a nut and a hypochondriac but at least I have a game plan, which the doctors and others have not come up with?  

Its like the diverticulitis and this eye issue.  They keep telling me what DOESN'T cause it or what it is?  Seeds and nuts don't cuase the diverticulitis they now say with authoiroity,that's and unproven old wives tail?  So what DOES cause it doc?  CRICKETS!  they don't know.  1 of the over 10,000 diseases we ust take tests and drugs and pay a co-pay to find out nothing?  

Well enough rambling, I will check back and let you know if anything improves or goes away?
and another new member joins the long list of sufferers...... Hello, I am a novice - my symptoms started a few weeks ago on the inside of my right foot. At first I thought the tearing/burning was an injury I must have missed! but gradually over the last few weeks it has got more intense, seemingly random and I have not made any connection to any triggers. Like some of you, it was severe enough to make me yelp, and I had to check my foot for blood/gaping wounds etc as it really does feel like your flesh has been parted in a painful and unpleasant way. I am selfishly comforted that I am not alone, but a bit downhearted to hear I may expect it to spread, leave numbness and I will be left without any explanation.......  Oh yes, I am 51, reasonably fit, not too overweight, no serious medical problems and on no medication. my best wishes to you all - Elfy
I've got a neurologist appointment upcoming (sleep issues), so I think I will mention it to her and see what kind of response I get.  Who knows, maybe it's neurological?
I'm currently a 37 Yr old male
I first mysteriously experienced a numbing sensation on my right leg on the front right side of my shin bone, just below the knee by several inches.  The area affected was about the size of a half dollar coin, being mostly circular as to the affected area.  This happened about 4 years ago.  I study a more traditional martial arts, and its a style that keeps one on their feet, rather than into the air or on the ground.  I had traveled to Costa Rica with a group and discovered the numbing sensation the next day.  I did not have any pain for about a week.  I participated in a tournament and this didn't appear to affect me at all.  When i returned back home i soon discovered that the slightest pressure against this small patch of skin was painful.  From time to time i leaned against a car bumper while in the garage and was greeted with incredible amounts of pain.  Normally pain will subside after 15 seconds or so, but this kept on and on for much longer.  It did feel like i was tearing something perhaps my skin and all the nerves in it.  I learned over time that i couldn't kick very high or i would feel something similar to a snapping sensation, that wasn't altogether painful in itself.  I tried a few treatments of acupuncture but this did little to help.  After about 6 months or more it finally subsided on its own.  I also aggravated the snapping sensation when climbing stairs.  This sensation appeared to travel down my shin on the outside not quite to the ankle.  This is different from the chronic numbing i experienced the rest of the time.  The numbing sensation never traveled or grew any larger.  One day it was gone.  I am on this forum today because i may be experiencing a relapse some 4 years later only this time i have the chronic 50% numbing on my right hand. To pinch the skin is to not be able to feel the pinching.  I did notice that after my heart was pumping after a work out, that i pinched the area on my hand and could almost feel the pinch like normal.   It seems centralized in the joint area between the fore finger and the thumb, on the back side of the hand.  There is no pain as yet, but it could become a repeat issue in perhaps a few more days.  I'm not excited about this.  When i extend my arm as if to reach for something and turn my wrist in the right fashion i feel that same snapping sensation i experienced in my right leg.  The sensation may be described as a sudden sharp but not painful sensation that has a tingling followup until it dissipates.  I now consider this to be perhaps genetic instead of the result of some mysterious bug bite from Costa Rica.  Like everyone else, i have no solution other than time and the notion to avoid causing the snapping sensation as this may be prolonging the area's sensitivity which when pressed will hurt considerably.  
Well, just checking in again.  The pain in my knee has largely subsided.  I didn't do anything extraordinary to make it go away (just some regular stretching etc.).  But by some accounts here, it may return.  It is interesting that those who were going to check with doctors, get MRIs etc. have never come back to report.

One thing I did notice is that some posts are off-topic.  They describe numbness or some pain, but this is a symptomatically distinct event.  There is no other way to describe that initial pain other that "tearing" "searing" and "burning".  It was so intense initially that I thought I had kneeled on a razor blade, I actually checked for blood!  And then the entire area was numb afterwards.  Maybe we can just post this URL to a doctor who cares? Surely if we can build up such an impressive list of common sufferers, then there must be something in the literature somewhere?!?!
Yes, I agree with you.  Some posts are obviously unrelated to what I originally wrote about and many others have subsequently added to, but that's OK.  I'd rather hear about 50 people's unrelated experiences than to miss out on a single potential breakthrough.

As for reporting back on doctor/test findings, I also agree, I wish more people would check back in with us.  Although I have to assume that no news is probably indicative of bad news (as in nothing useful).  The neuro appointment I mentioned got postponed for a few weeks, but I will definitely report in with any findings, good, bad or indifferent.
I went to see my doctor this morning about the tearing pain, 'weird nerve thing' on the top of my left foot that I've had for a few months. Like many others, I get the tearing pain between the bottom of my big toe and half way up the foot. Also, if when for example I'm putting my socks on, it feels as though the sock is full of pins when I go pull it over the toe (it's not!) - anyone else get that?? I realise a while ago it seems to stem from a nerve half way up the top of the foot - tingles if I touch it gently. Weird. Not noticed any numbness though. I've also had tearing pain (no numbness) below my ankle on the inside of my foot - but that's gone away now.

I went to the my GP though because in the last couple of weeks I've noticed numbness and - more occasionally - tearing pain on top of my right hand - in the fleshy 'v' between my thumb and index finger. GP said it didn't sound symptomatic of anything but asked if I was scared it was MS. I said I hadn't been - but now I am a bit nervous about that...but I know I am Captain Paranoia too, so should bear that in mind! She booked me in for a blood test to see if it's a vitamin deficiency thing. Will let you know outcome.
It will be interesting to see what they test for .. let us all know ...
I have had the same symptoms, tearing, burning, etc.  I have to add that sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain, sleeping on my side with legs bent a little and a terrible pain, if I would stretch out my legs slowly the pain on my knees would start to go away and it felt like you said, like its numb in that area but you can still feeling the pain.  It all started in 2005, I went in the army and with all the extreme exercises from the trainings gave me all this pains.  It started on my left knee, sometimes I would be running and the pain would attack me, left kneee first then right knee, it would start hot and would take my whole knee, i don't know what felt worse if keep running or stopping, they both hurt really bad.

I have had MRI, X-rays, bone scan and everything came out fine, no serious damage or any diagnose.  Doctors thought it was arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and after a long period of time being in treatment for arthritis the pain still going and going, the cold makes it worse, and now the last thing the doctor said it is Fybromalgia, that I need it to take anti-depressants.  

I refuse to think this is all on my head, I sure know this pain is real and that I am not crazy.  The pain is now on my wrist and some fingers, I have the numbing, tingling sensation as well.  

I see that I am not alone but sure we would all like to have an answer to what is happening to us.  by the way I just turned 24 and I am a woman, so we can disregard menopause, and I am not pregnant so they can't blame it on the pregnancy either.  

Thanks if you all know find an answer please share it we all need to figure out what is happening to us.  
Another person searching for answers. I was super healthy until being diagnosed with Graves disease (hyperthyroid/fast thyroid) so I obeyed the docs and had radiation treatment to slow/destroy my thyroid. Bad idea. Within two months, the burning, searing pain in my feet made walking difficult - and I had been walking 4 miles per day wihtout issue for 20 years. Then my wrists began to ache.

I went on thyroid replacement hormones (T4) but did not feel better - pain and other symptoms continued to worsen. I developed a fatty lump on my bicep (another poster mentioned same). Doctors said it was nothing. I've never had chickenpox, never taken any meds in my life.

But doctors don't listen if they cannot code a claim form with your symptoms. I have done a lot of reading about thyroid and think it may have to do with the impairment of my thyroid, making me hypothyroid and miserable. I read that many hypothyroid patients have joint pain with just T4 replacement therapy - you need all 4 thyroid hormones. So I went out of the USA to get more inclusive thyroid hormones than just T4 and like a miracle, all pain disappeared within 48 hours. Last weekend, after awkwardly lifting something heavy, searing pain returned to the tendons in my hands.

So I don't know if I am injured - or just returning to the weird pain I experienced since my thyroid slowed down. When I read this post, I was familiar with the description of pain and heard some mention of thyroid so I thought I'd share my experience and lack of answers with you. I will also share that testing normal for thyroid function is just an average of everyone who gets the lab test - and folks would be surprised at how lousy you can feel with "average" labs.
I almost called the ambulance tonight. This (the ripping, the searing, the tearing.. then numbness) keeps happening. For me, it's in the inner calf into the back of the knee of my rt leg. I even wondered if this is shin splints. According to google, notsomuch. But, as someone else also mentioned, this might be peripheral neuropathy?

For me, also, the tearing seems deeper than skin level... yet, I check for blood out of reflex. Stops me in my tracks and it has alarmed me into wondering about clotting (but no redness or heat to touch). Thankfully, reading all of your messages assures me to no longer panic, but to alert the Ortho guy next week. I will be seeing him because an MRI found a Labral tear in my rt hip. Hmm, does that tear "travel?" Likely not... but I will talk to him about our common ailment.

I have had Lupus and osteoarthritis for a number of years, so degeneration to that side is a factor. I know that I will learn something (might be akin to asking God... the answer may not be NOW or it may not be what I want to hear) although, I intend to at least keep my word and report back. Ironically, this is my first post to begin with. Until then... does anyone find any OTC creams such as Icy Hot or Aspercreme (for example) do any good? Do you apply heat or ice packs? ..... geeeeesh, I honestly thought this forum would've had some interaction with a physician of some kind. "medhelp .org" is a little deceiving.... but, I wouldn't trade the community for anything at this point. Thank you, PSU Wayne for starting something:) xSher
Hey everybody.  Surprised I've never stumbled on this discussion in all my google searches until now.

A few years ago I began to have twinging pains in my upper left abdomen. It felt like it was just below the skin. It escalated to if I stretched too long of sometimes when I coughed I experienced a severe tearing sensation in the same spot followed by numbness.

Several hundred dollars of doctors visits later (which I just finished paying off) and many tests like colonoscopies, mri's, ct's, xrays, the works and all I got was "I could set you up with a pain specialist who will help you control the pain.  I got the same tests and same responses from three different doctors and specialists.  At one point they found a lump on my liver, but it turned out to be fatty tissue (thank goodness).

Eventually the pain subsided to the background, though it still pops up every now and then.

What brought me here, though, was about a month ago I started having pain in the bottom of the heel of my left foot.  My mom has planters aphasia, so I went out and bought some Dr. Scholl's shoes since the insoles helped her tremendously.

That's pretty much gone, but literally the day after I started wearing the shoes the back of my right heel started feeling like the skin was tearing when I flexed it.  Same symptoms others have described here.  It "tears" then goes numb for about a minute or so.  I've found that if I flex my heel slowly and gently a few times before I start walking then I only feel some of the pain while I'm flexing it right away and not the excruciating pain when I'm walking.

It's worse when I go down stairs.

What's strange is that if I flex it a few times I stop feeling the sensation in one area of my heel, but if I turn my foot a little another area of the heel hurts until I stretch it some.

If I sit motionless for long periods of time and then start walking the pain is horrible.  Getting up in the middle of the night I nearly collapse.

I don't want to go to the doctor because of my previous experiences.  My GP thinks I'm a hypochondriac and has resorted to just agreeing with whatever I say and cutting the visits short, so I haven't been back to him for pain in over a year.  But maybe my experiences with minimizing the pain will help.
Hey, I did promise to report back (and I think the consensus is accurate... many don't because they hadn't discovered anything new) in my case, after seeing the Ortho for degenerative arthritis and a labral tear. Turned out, he found 5 cysts on the bone, but more importantly: he only had the time of day to go over the fact that I need a total hip replacement. When I asked him if it affected my calf or numbness after the SEARING pain, he replied: You're here for your hip I thought? I see it as an example of the generalized apathy we all seem to be encountering. I'm sorry I couldn't be of help. YET! Never give up =]
My Goodness! What a long list of folks having difficulty. To understand what's taking place here, we need to cover a few points. First of all, if you'll note the common theme among locations for the problem, you'll see that virtually all instances involve an area near to a joint, ie the knee, the ankle, the toes, the elbow and so on. Note that I said near to the joint and not actually the joint itself.

As the body ages, small imperfections exist in the manner in which the body regenerates certain tissues. If you'll think about all the muscle, tendons, nerves and other tissues near your joints which must elongate or compress, depending upon how the specific joints move, you'll realize that things have to stretch a good distance in some cases from their static position. This is especially true for tissues at a certain distance from the joints that must sometimes stretch a good distance. In other words, the closer you are to the joint itself, the less movement or stretching of the tissues is required.

Realize that very small injuries can take place within the body all the time which produce little or no awareness. This might occur when walking, bending, stretching or other activity and it most often goes unnoticed. Even constant compression can produce an injury like this, ie certain shoe architecture or sitting on a chair where the edge would induce compression of the back side of the knees. This is not the sort of injury that causes you to wince in pain or even take note, yet it happens in all of us because due to aging, flexibility in all respects is degraded. What sometimes happens is that at the site of the actual insult, small amounts of fluid develop at the site causing tissue compression and regenerative functions attempt to make repair. Most often this healing function proceeds uneventful, but in some instances, the mechanisms which collectively work to regenerate healthy tissues goes a bit awry or is interfered with by things like continual motion or compression, ie tight-fitting shoes, clothing that bundles up at the joints, etc.

Connective tissue repairs can sometimes cause fiberous adhesion or scarring along the nerve proximal to the injury location, causing the nerve sheath to become affixed at a junction among tissues where some flex at one rate or distance and other tissues at another. At any later point where these joint-proximal tissues are flexed to their maximum or beyond, the nerve itself can become both stretched and compressed at a focal point, producing a searing and burning effect that results in an immediate paresthesia or numbness at the site. Touching the area with a hand or finger reveals a cutaneous numb sensation, although it must be remembered that the numbness is somewhat countered by sensations you alternatively sense with the finger or hand being used. If you apply a foreign object such as a cotton swab, you'll see that the numb sensation is slightly greater than it would be using your finger or hand.

This effect is quite similar to the common accidental striking of the median nerve as it nears the outer realm of your elbow and proceeds downward along the forearm to the hand. A sharp blow to the nerve produces an immediate and almost unbearable pain, often described as burning, aching or throbbing and which produces transient paresthesia or numbness along the forearm and most prominently in the hand. A similar consequence is taking place with the injuries being described in the postings by various persons, with the exception that the injury in these cases results from stretching tissues adjacent to the affected nerve whose mobility within those tissues varies from point to point. In other words, by example, if you take a rubber band and merely stretch it from two points, you'll see that it's fairly flexible from an overall standpoint. If you take that same rubber band, however, and compress one point upon a hard surface while stretching the band near, but not at the point being held, you'll realize that far more tension takes place between these two points than the overall rubber band itself. The affected nerve is much like the rubber band and can stretch easily when moved along with other tissues from one point to the next. Likewise, if the nerve becomes affixed to tissues that move at variable rates or distances, it is quickly stretched beyond its normal elasticity and the result is considerable pain.

Depending upon how far the affected nerve is stretched, the subsequent paresthesia and any damage to the nerve is variable. Sometimes, resolution is complete and other times a slight numbness persists. While anti-inflammatory or analgesic medications can work to relieve immediate discomfort, there is no pill or procedure to correct or prevent the problem from recurring or even occurring elsewhere.

Also realize that throughout this entire thread, some descriptions are actually indicative of other conditions altogether and because symptoms are being interpreted differently, a sort of universal picture has been suggested that in actuality does not exist.

The condition I've specifically described is not associated in any way with peripheral neuropathy such as that experienced with diabetes, nor one of the classifications of neurological diseases such as MS.

It is a limited and focal manifestation and is most often encountered in the lower extremities. Realize that sitting in office chairs where people tend to adopt variable positions of supposed comfort such as tucking the legs back up under the chair will produce the kind of prolonged compression and subsequent tissue injury I'm speaking about here that ultimately forms the basis for the symptoms being described. It is worsened by the often habit of leaning forward to relieve back discomfort or merely flex the body while seated, placing even further compression upon the area directly behind the knee and sometimes further up the thigh to some extent. It's also important to stretch your limbs at regular intervals because as we have penetrated into work environments with characteristics of reduced mobility, the variable levels of stress and muscle tension work negatively to raise the potential for this type of injury to occur. Understand here that it's not the initial injury itself, nor even the subsequent action that produced secondary injury to the nerve, that is the problem. It's the timeframe in between that produces elements necessary for the nerve tissues to become improperly affixed within the site of original injury.

You'll all be fine. Again, while resolution is variable it's important to become aware of causal factors and take steps to consider sources which are placing you at high risk of re-inury or injury at another location prone to this problem.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)
Thanks very much for your summary ... it's very helpful to understand better the situation and therefore the knowledge to make changes in activity to help the healing process and prevention .... thanks again ... Mark Biech (Romania)
Wow! Just in time! I, too, was becoming quite frustrated and am now quite relieved upon reading your very thorough and enlightening response to our group, Dr. R.R. Although, who wouldn't wish that, at the same time, what we are (those with what you described) experiencing had news of a treatment or cure... isn't it always a relief to simply no longer be in the dark? I know that I can speak on behalf of everyone when I say thank you for your input! We've had no one from the medical community weigh in, from what I could see, as I read through all of the comments since PSUWayne began this a few years ago.

I certainly don't look forward to having this to contend with for the rest of my life... and who knows, maybe with paying better attention to how I put stress on that part of my leg now, I might not have to endure the burning, tearing, and subsequent numbness as often. It's interesting that with this particular pain, we can consider it BOTH chronic and acute. Chronic, as in, some of us get the sudden 'attacks' everyday.

Again, I do thank you. Just wondering before I close... do you have recommendations for while it is occuring? I had asked the group if they used any creams or rubs to help during an episode, though no one weighed-in on that. I read where you agreed that analgesics and anti-inflammatories are of some help, yet they often take awhile to set in. I'm not sure if rubbing the affected area exacerbates the pain/numbness or helps. Are hot OR cold packs good? Perhaps there are some little tips that people might try for some quick relief... as this can shut a person down, stop you in your tracks!

Thanks again, it's been so great to have "a doctor in the house" eeek, sorry;)
Sherrie  
Wow.  Great feedback.  Knowledgeable and concise.  So here I am, untucking my legs from underneath the chair where I work 8 hours a day, and making New Year's resolutions to stretch more often and be kinder to my poor abused limbs in general.  Thank you.  I do believe that you hit the proverbial nail upon the head.  Thank you very much for taking the time to write it all out.
Dr. Rane,

My sincerest thanks for your input.  I began reading your post and was immediately transfixed.  I think I actually heard angelic singing behind me as I became both relieved and finally (after 3+ years) satisfied with an explanation I've been given.  I truly don't understand why the myriad of doctors that I and the members of this "community" have consulted could not give such a satisfying answer.  Once again, THANK YOU.

To everyone else here who has taken the time to join this long-standing community, thank you for your input and support.  Perhaps it is the sheer volume of recent activity that attracted Dr. Rane to see if he could help.  So, a big round of applause to all of you.  I realize the answer we've been given is not a "cure" for what ails us, per se, but at least it's ultimately good news.  There's something simple we can be cognizant of in order to avoid future "attacks" and we can rest assured that these "attacks" are nothing to worry about if they do occur.

Wayne
So we should think of this as an "injury" and then treat it as such until we recover?  

1) treatment & pain: one questioned asked - if its and injury than what is the short term treatment - ice, warm, etc.

2) prevention: is there any like stretching, warm compress and yoga.  or easy strengthneing.  seems like sedintary activities like walking or sitting are causing - maybe sleeping in a bad position?  

Dr. Rane simply a clarifiying post?  sadly out of the hundreds of $$ in co-pays and test just this group recommend it woudl have been nice for somebody to have gotten anything as close as your explantion.  Nobody even reported on the 3rd possible resolution to the 2 above?  3) Hope?  

Thanks again PSUWayne for the opening, and Dr. Rane for looks like the close of this thread?
I feel compelled to add that I have been instructed to take a prescription strength Vitamin D supplement by my Rheumatologist for my deficiency and to help with all of my joint issues. I've noticed fewer 'episodes' with the "alien in my leg" and I'm beginning to wonder if there really might be a link. So, food for thought? As the research on Vit D shows to be important in joint care...

Happy Holidays and bless us, everyone!
Hello once again. As a follow-up commentary, I will make the following response.

As to how to correct the present circumstances, it's an inquiry that can be compared to asking a similar question about the appearance of one's skin after years of indulgence to direct sun-exposure. While we can take measures to prevent further insult to the body's tissues elsewhere, the nature of the present condition is rather static. On the more positive side of the matter is that in most cases, the rather dramatic initial experience and discomfort associated with the condition will wane over time and while some mild paresthesia could persist, like many other concessions made with age, this too will become less distracting.

You might have also noted that attempting to isolate the precise origin or point where the problem is located is somewhat difficult and that pressing or prodding the area will seldom reproduce the circumstances. This is due to the fact that the tissues and nerves affected are subject to one specific motion which causes the dramatic contrast in variable movement or stretching and results in the pain and anesthesia. Ligaments and tendons play an important role in the architecture of this malady and the inappropriate fixation of tissues very near to, or even upon, the external surfaces of tendon/ligamental tissues is more precisely where the problem originates. Again, these sites of subsequent injury are relevant to regions in the body that largely experience disuse for extended periods but that are often subject to instances wherein significant flexion is produced, ie the back of the knees, the tarsal/metatarsal regions of the feet, etc. The timeframe for these regions among others to become affected is not immediate but rather insidious and asymptomatic for extended periods. So, for example, when you stay seated at the computer for long hours each day and night over days, weeks to months and then you have a single occasion to kneel on the bed to reach the light socket or otherwise engage in actions which significantly stretch these specific areas having undergone changes by patterns of use or disuse, the moment of injury is all too evident by anyone experiencing the pain associated with the event.

Realize also that curative effects are somewhat of an illusive issue. Try and imagine a surgeon attempting to locate and relieve a site of injury and pain that is extremely difficult to stereotaxically locate. The result would more likely be the development of scleral (scarous) tissue in the region which only serves to increase the likelihood of further insult to the present circumstances. Again, the ability to diminish the problem is contemporarily relegated to preventative measures. The entire premise is counterintuitive to what humans normally practice. In other words, who would have thought that simply sitting still for long periods could have any negative physical impact? Well, although it's less well known, you have but to examine the lives of persons like quadraplegics to get a more firm understanding of what is taking place with the localized injuries being discussed here. If you've ever had occasion to become familiar with an individual suffering cord damage to the extent it is paralytic, you'll observe them over time to become further incapacitated by a rather insidious retraction of tendons in the extremities that results in sometimes gross disfigurement, a consequence of mere disuse. The same sort of thing is taking place with the injuries we're discussing but on a very small scale indeed.

Again, preparation for a life more exposed to a solitary activity that is void of most physical movement has the capacity or increased risk to produce the type of injury were speaking about here. By example, if you had been a cheerleader or gymnist in your youth where you demonstrating sometimes dramatic displays of flexibility and subsequently at a later point in life attempted to perform an arching leap with a resounding leg split on the ground at completion, you'd likely find the consequence to be less than what you recalled from your earlier days. I'm sure you see the relevance to our discussion. It's purely a matter of aging as it pertains to continuous influences being imposed on the body of particular types.

While I realize the frustration which develops from knowing a cause for which no cure exists, it is awareness that will permit insight into avoiding further complication as you proceed with daily life. Depending upon your approach to the issue and subsequent diligence, you will experience anything from reduction in instances, relapsing or remitting patterns of present injuries, to continual progression. It is unlikely that medical science will become centered upon the problem, the nature of which lies beyond the attention as a major concern in the realm of human injury, illness or disease and subsequently being relegated to symptomatic treatment.  

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)
Greetings!
I checked back in today after posting initially last fall. Thank goodness I did--and thank goodness for your lucid and enlightening explanation, Doctor! I only wish your explanation could be broadcast to the in-the-dark physicians and other clinicians that all these people have consulted. It would no doubt save many people money and time and relieve them of some of the pain (both physical and mental) they have been suffering and may continue to suffer. Is there any way to make that happen? That is, is there a journal or other medium in which you might publish this explanation for the benefit of anyone who suffers from this problem and for those medical experts they consult?

I have started doing yoga to help keep my body flexible and I am also starting to take Vitamin D (having read of its benefits to my other condition--fibromyalgia). I'm an editor who has to sit a lot in my daily life, so I want to try to be as proactive as possible to prevent recurrences of my specific manifestation of this condition (which occurs below the right knee). I don't, however, plan on trying any of the cheerleading or gymnastics moves I did in my youth, being of a realistic mindset about the aging body!

Thanks again for taking the time out of your retirement to address this "burning" issue for us all!

Lisabelle
I'm glad I found this thread! I am experiencing the same symptoms - a burning, tearing, searing pain when I stretch followed by numbness. The pain subsides when I stop the stretch. Only my pain is in my lower back on the left, and the pain is brought on when I bend over and to the right.

I have been experiencing this pain for five months and it is driving me crazy. I play roller derby, and the pain is worst when I extend my left leg out behind my right leg to do a cross-over. I can no longer skate due to this injury.

This is the first place I have found any information that could explain the injury. I have been to my doctor three times, seen a physical therapist, and had several massages, all to no avail. Muscle relaxers did not work and I was not able to get the anti-inflammatory patches my doctor prescribed because of my insurance.

It's a little disheartening to find that there's no treatment, but it's nice to at least have some more information.  
A most interesting thread.  I experience the same sort of joint pain yet it is more transient in its occurrence.  I do have the dx of osteo arthritis yet I would be hard pressed to relate this odd description of pain to that situation.  For example I will have the tearing sensation on knee flexion.  I can stretch it out, tolerating the pain, and it will dissipate.  Then it will recur in the same joint bit in a different location some weeks later.  It occurs quite frequently in the finger joints but not in the knuckles.  It seems more related to a tendonitis but could certainly be the nerves located in those tendons.  I just find it odd that it is so transient.  It is as though something decides to adhere and does so in a matter of hours.  Then once that adherence is relieved it moves elsewhere.  But only a select few joints are impacted (so far anyway).  Curious indeed.

I have researched peripheral neural entrapment papers and they do somewhat echo what our good Doctor described.  Yet one thing is uniformly missing and that is the unique description of a 'tearing or sheering type pain'.  Typically they describe numbness, tingling paresthesias and aching/stabbing./pulsing type pains.  As our Doctor notes there is no common cause and no recommended treatments other than eating right.  Still I do have to wonder about the nature of this pain.  Have I just not found the proper references?  Could it be that others simply describe the same pain in differing ways?  I will also advance that I too made mention of this peculiar pain to my hand surgeon and he had not ever heard the description before either but he is quite willing to amputate my left index finger.
I am 58 year old man with same type of moving foot pain. Been diagnosed with gout over the years and treatments were somewhat successful, but started to reoccur more frequently. Been tested for lupus and R. Arthritis with negative results.  Took anti inflammatory pills until stomach bleeding and hospitalization. Now cannot take any anti inflammatory pills. Had uric acid testing and found levels to be within normal range. Took steroid injections and oral packs with little prolonged success. Taking tylenol with codeine to sleep and deal with foot pain concerned with dependency so backing off taking that. Now suspect chicken pox or some other immune disorder. Have Spots on back similar to pox with low grade fever. Going once again to general doctor to look at spots on trunk and back to see if any correlation with foot pain.
I have been reading through many of the replies and realized there are many similarities to an annoyance I have been going through recently. I am a 34 year old male. One day about 3 months ago I was getting into bed and felt a sharp intense in my left foot in my big toe just behind the base of the toe nail. Ever since then if I stretch straight while laying flat in bed. When I point my foot straight out and bend my toes. I get a feeling like the is a piece of string glue to ack of the nail of my big toe. The string extends up my shin and into my knee. When bend my toe it feels like the string is being pulled tight and the string is being torn away from the nail. Almost to the point where if I could just stretch a little more it would tear away completely. There are no signs redness bleeding or inflamation (inflammation). After it feels like its been torn as far as I can get it, I feel no pain or numbness for at least several hours. Unfortunately lately the pain has become a bit more intense and I can no longer stretch it out.  
Wow, this is interesting to see so many people experience the same thing I am experiencing. I am a 35 female and I just had my daughter two months ago and after I had her is when I started experiencing these pains in my knees and my feet!! I really would like to know what caused it or what the DR's call it! I have 4 other children and never had these problems after I had given birth to them. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me. Thanks a bunch ;)
I have had same symptoms for some 4 years.

Started with left foot, then right, then both hands and knee.
Extreme burning under tension, with scarr tissue like sensation in effcetd area.

Have seen specialists, Physician, pediatrist (initially for foot), nearologist (says he found some sign of nerve damage, but this has subsequently repaired which seems impossible), neuro surgeon, MRI (no sign of damage of MS). End result after extensive analysis was that nobody could find a cause or solution.

The symptoms point to a form of inflamation (inflammation). Iether of the tendons or tendon sheeves or nerve sheeves or something.

Embarked on process of elmination. have found the following:
Excercise helps. I am assuming it is the increased circulaation assisting with reduction in inflammation. The more excercise the better it gets, but it takes time to subdue.
Anti-inflammatories help - not the strong chemical ones that will cause more harm to the body than good, but something completely natural and herbal that can be taken regularly.
Coffee, chocolate, caffeine etc etc - high acidic foods exascerbate the situation.
A homeopath subscribed a treatment of sulphur - this did seem to have a poisitve effect, although I am unsure as I am still convinced the main relief came from my added exercise.

The symptoms are back in my right knee.
I have not beenas acyive as I should.
I will increase my excersize routine again and will pick up the supphure again.

We will see.

Still convinced it is some form of inflammation that simply needs to be controlled.

Hey there PSU!
Have you had a doctor evaluate this condition? What you describe
is similar to a tendon tear. The most important tool in the evaluation
is an open minded specialist who is an Orthopedic Surgeon. His tools
for diagnosis will be Xrays Ultra sound and a very detailed MRI. I had
a similar situation which led me through an extensive  process of ruling
out the possibles until we came up with a rock solid diagnosis. It was a t
orn Meniscus. The pain was a burning excruciating ,shooting pain after
hyperflexion of my knee in an Indoor soccer game. The pain shot from
the interior of my knee at the Patella (knee Cap) clear down the back of
my leg to my achilles tendon insertion at my foot. After a series of novacaine /Hyaline injections the DR decided that surgery was the best case scenario
It has improved but Soccer is now a past memory. Tis better to walk than wheel myself around the rest of my Life..

What an enlightening group.  Many thanks to the good Doctor for his salient and thoughtful dissertation.  It is as good an explanation as I have come up with.  As a medical provider (PA) and one who has suffered with this condition for more than 25 years (multiple areas, but always on the extensor surface of peripheral joints-heel, great toe, knee, elbow, small finger, thumb), there are some very specific symptoms that are associated with the specific condition originaly described by PSU.  First, the hallmark of this condition, is the universal description and elicitation of the pain, excellently described by PSU.  I liken it to being cut by a red hot razor blade.  I can only immagine this as it is not in my personal experience.  Second, this pain can also be reproduced time and again with the same input (stretching the area or pressing on it) at any time while symptomatic.  Third, the "numbness" is also universal.  I have found that the acute phase (when pain can be felt) lasts several weeks to months.  After which the effected area will remain numb for years to decades.  (I have some areas that are still numb and show no sign of improving.)  Fourth, commencing of the pain is not readily associated with any precipitating injuy, ie. random.  Lastly, no one knows for sure what the heck causes it!  I have consulted numerous collegues and educated guesses are the norm.  I truly hope Dr. Ranes' explanation is the holy grail for this condition, however I suspect some influence, other than not-so-gracefull aging (my first bout with this affliction was in my twenties) is an associated metabolic problem (vitamin deficiency or thyroid) or some kind of auto immune condition.  If I had to take a stab at naming it, I would call it Idiopathic Migratory Neuralgia.  The closest named malady is Wartenburgs Syndrome.  I know what it is not.  It is not Peripheral Neuropathy (associated with dibetes) nor Fibromyalgia.  Neither is it the foot pain of Plantar Fascitis described by the woman that experiences pain rising from bed or the leg pain described and caused by radicular back syndromes.  For all the things that are unknown about this, one thing is certain-the pain is excrutiatingly real albeit transient.
K2PA - thanks for your additional insights.  I think you pretty well nailed it.  I like the description of "being cut by a red hot razor blade".  

On one hand, it's good to know that our nameless condition is a mystery to so many medical professionals - lending credence to my own doctors' inability to diagnose it, but on the other hand, it ***** knowing that without a definitive diagnosis and putting a real name to it, guaranteed relief for the future is just a dream.  So far, knock on wood, I've been symptom-free for a while now.  Since Dr. Rane's excellent explanation, I've been trying to catch myself doing certain things (sitting awkwardly, sitting with my leg under me, leaning on my elbow, contorting my foot, etc) in an effort to alleviate future outbreaks.  Only time will tell...

Thanks again to the many contributors and, by all means, keep the discussions alive.  I still welcome any other medical professionals to weigh in with their opinions.  I'm a firm believer that you can never have too much input.
Amazing.  I have the same symptoms and have observed some of the same behaviors in the progression of the symptoms.

I'm 48 and a pretty active person when it comes to exercise, however 2 months ago, over the course of a week I was regularly kneeling work on a home improvement project.  A few times it was directly on the hard floor.  Afterward I noticed a stinging sensation in my left knee, then slight numbness in the soft tissue on the outside of my knee cap (not sure I'm explaining this well --- sorry).  Next thing I noticed that when I bent my knee to its furthest extent (i.e. when stretching) I would get this searing, ripping sensation just like others have described.  This sensation would go away in a very short time once I straightened up but then it would be numb.  After about a week, the symptoms spread to my right knee.  The left knee has healed somewhat; still not completely back to normal, but the right knee is giving me fits.  It seems that sometimes even the slightest bending of the right knee can result in the ripping/tearing sensation and even when I'm doing nothing some times it can hurt (burning, tingling, tightness).  And my right foot seems to be affected as well, namely if I move it in a manner where I am extending it (like a ballerina is the best way I can describe) sometimes it is stiff and the tendon on the top of my foot feels like it's ripping/tearing.  Luckily I haven't had any numb sensation (yet) with the foot yet, just the knee.  I occasionally have a stinging sensation on my heel or right where the Achilles tendon joins the heel when I flex/stretch it.

Another thing I noticed, along with inflamedtendons001, is that exercise seems to help.  My first inclination was to slow down and even stop all exercise to see I could heal, thinking maybe that something I was doing was causing it.  However, I can tell you that even after sitting around the house for 3 weeks, it was not getting better (maybe it was healing very, very slowly --- I can't wait for 6 months; I gotta move!) so I started my exercise routine again, just trying to take it easy on those activities that put pressure on the knees (e.g. tread mill, elliptical) and I feel better.  BTW - swimming is a great alternative to the exercise machines!

Another observation (again inflamedtendons001 is correct): coffee really gets it irritated.  Yesterday I was enjoying an afternoon with the family, sitting around not doing much, very few symptoms.  I decided to have a cup of java.  Wrong move.  Even just sitting on the couch doing nothing, after drinking the coffee my knees began to sting, burn, itch, very annoying.

Other tidbits:
* Never had the shingles.
* I took Cipro for 7 weeks 18 months ago and had some tendon irritation while on it and for a couple months afterward, but it subsided after 2 months.
* I take Omega3/6, a men's formula vitamin and a baby aspirin once per day.  I tried getting off these for a few days to see if one of them might be causing or irritating the symptoms - no change, so I got back on them.
* Sometimes the tendons just feel like they don't want to stretch/flex.  Like they are tensing up; not willing to move.  I can be sitting down one moment because it flares up on me and I'm rubbing my knees hoping the tissue will heal someday and the next minute I'm up and walking normally like nothing happened.  Other than the numbness that is, which persists pretty much constantly.  So, even though I can recall the moment that suspect starting this hole mess (namely after kneeling) it seems to be manifesting itself more like an "attack" (i.e. it comes and goes).

If someone finds out anything about this malady (cause, treatments, etc.) please post.  It is greatly appreciated.

Good luck!
I came across this forum today as I was searching for answers. I have to admit, I have only scanned the posts since I am at work but I will be coming back to read them more carefully.
I am a 42 yr. old female.  I did get diagnosed with hypothryoidism last Fall and I am currently taking Levothryoxin.  That is the only medication I take and am otherwise healthy.
About a month or two ago, I stretched out in bed and got this burning sensation along the outside of my big toe on my right foot.  I immediately quit stretching and the burning lasted for about ten more seconds.  Then that area felt sort of numb to the touch.
I thought it was just some fluke that would go away, but ever since then, if I kneel on the floor, or stretch a certain way, I have the same experience.
All I could remember is having something drop on that big toe about a week or so before that.
Lately I have been getting numbness and tingling in my right hand at work but not the burning sensation.
I do sit at a desk all day and work at a computer. I have thought that was probably carpal tunnel issues.
I don't know if the two are related. I would like to find answers because I enjoy getting on the floor and playing with my kids and being active.
I appreciate hearing about all your stories.  It helps so much just to have some knowledge about what is happening.
Wow, I am 32 and I have all/most of these symptoms. I have battled with severe sciatica since I was 14. I have needed several corrective procedures from pawpaw enzymes to basic CT guided nerve root injections.

In the last 3 years I have noticed RLS, numb/ripping heel, numb left thumb, ripping numb knee, painful and stiff recurring neck problems.
(these where all patched with further injections)

I had no relief until I was treated for a completely unrelated problem, Hyper Tension.

I was given SSRI's (Cymbalta) which fixed not only my Hyper Tension but also all my symptoms. It wasnt until recently under extremely high stress that I noticed my symptoms coming back.

I just put myself in a situation where I couldnt get stressed and continued my medication and my symptoms went away. Since then I have been reading up on the fascinating TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome) which I believe is my problem. Please have a read of this Syndrome and give it a good chance as I did, you may find it useful.

I really hope this helps someone as I have suffered for most of my life and now enjoy only temporary relapses.
Following up from an earlier post...

The further I read about the condition the more baffled I am as to why there is no clear name for it.  The tearing sensation followed by numbness is particularly perplexing.  I'm not 100% certain but what I think is going on is not a tendon condition at all but it's the infrapatellar bursa that is inflamed or injured.  This bursa (there are actually two of them --- one's called a deep infrapatellar bursa that's underneath the tendon and another called the superficial infrapatellar bursa that's on top) is supposed to cushion and make it easy for the patellar tendon to flex and slide, however when it is inflamed or swollen (even in the slightest) and you try to flex your knee, instead of sliding you get a momentary tendon-against-sandpaper sensation.  This would explain why you think there should be blood but when you look there is none.  It's just two internal body parts rubbing against one another that normal slide easily but because of the inflammation there's no sliding happening.

What helps?  RICE - rest, ice, compression and elevation.  Especially ICE, lots of it.

When applying ice you need to press it firmly just under the knee cap so the cold can penetrate deep and do it on both sides of the patellar tendon, not just on the side that's numb.  When I ice it this way this I get anywhere from 4 to 6 hours of relief.

How long it's going to take to finally heal is unknown.  I'm going on 2 months now with this condition in both knees.

Good luck!
update - just today I experienced the symptom in my right heel. I must have bent my leg the wrong way or too far bc it feels like the Achilles tendon or something near it ripped or tore. Within 20 minutes I had numbness in that area.  Knowing the ole RICE regimen, I immediately put ice on it and I'm glad to report that feeling has mostly returned. I say mostly because it is still a bit sore and weird feeling but I thought you guys would like to know: ice is a miracle drug for this condition.

Take care
Wait there's more....

Just found out that there's a series of bursae that cushion the achilles tendon. See my earlier post about my theory re bursitis.  

Starting to see a pattern.

Later.  
I have the same exact symptons of 'burning' 'tearing' pain on the top right side of my right knee, the top of my right big toe and the top of my right hand.  Very painful with stretching my hand to scratch my back for example, kneeling on the floor, and the numbness has remained since it started about 8 years ago.  I am a healthy, active 62 year old woman, work full time, had chicken pox, as mentioned in earlier comments but have not had shingles. Anyone ever find out what this is?
Same symptoms here but just in the right side of my heel area. I thought I was getting hairline cracks in my heel but then after having it checked there were no cracks. It doesn't hurt except when I try to stretch and I also experience numbness once the pain goes away. Over the last 2 years I have had extensive problems with tight fascia all over my body from my feet to my head. It has caused problems in my hips and neck. I am a normally active, healthy, nutrition conscious 32 yr old woman. I don't know what to think of it. Not sure what to do.
Same symptoms here but just in the right side of my heel area. I thought I was getting hairline cracks in my heel but then after having it checked there were no cracks. It doesn't hurt except when I try to stretch. Over the last 2 years I have had extensive problems with tight fascia all over my body from my feet to my head. It has caused problems in my hips and neck. I am a normally active, healthy, nutrition conscious 32 yr old woman. I don't know what to think of it. Not sure what to do
I am a 32 yr old healthy woman. I found this link when I googled ripping pain in heel. I am responding to you because 2 years ago I had an unexplained sprain in my right hip that lead to severe stability problems in both my neck and hips, which then lead to problems with very tight ligaments, tendons and muscles. All undiagnosed. Seeing a couple of Specialty Chiropractors, my regular internal medicine dr and a natropath. I've gotten much better but still deal with instability and tight fascia from head to toe.  About 6 months ago, my hips would go completely unstable 2-5 days before my menstrual cycle. They are guessing that my hormones are somehow causing that because after a couple of days my body straightens itself out. But not all the time. It will skip one month and then the next it will be there. So, they can't find the hormone problem but they recognize it might be related. I don't know if that helps, but sometimes it's just nice to know you're not alone.
Would like to join this community as I've been experiencing the tearing sensation in my upper left calf when kneeling for a couple of months.  Also have the pins and needles feeling followed by numbness.  
UPDATE

I mentioned that I had that tearing/ripping sensation in my right heel and afterwards applied ice to it.  It now feels better but it seems to "want" to happen also in my left heel.  In other words I sometimes feel a tightness when I flex that foot and a little pain but I always catch myself before it "rips".  I'm now wondering if I would be better off going ahead and letting it "rip" and applying ice.  Get it over with as it were.  My right heel feels better since it happened.  See post from 6/20.

This could be a further clue to what's causing it.  Is it possible that for some of us (not everyone) the problem is with an overused ligament or tendon that has rubbed something raw (bursae?) inside and that tissue is swollen now and on the verge of bursting, almost like a boil but internal and small.  After periods of rest the swollenness reduces but never fully goes away and when you do the activity that causes it, the swollenness returns.  When the ripping/tearing sensation occurs it is in fact tearing (or popping) the tissue that it is rubbing against and taking a chunk of nerves with it, hence the subsequent numbness.

I will let you know if it happens and what the result is.  I'm too chicken to make it happen but have the feeling it will occur anyway over time.

Good luck!
could be proximal tibiofibular glide problem where the fibular head gets misaligned. i have suffered for 9 weeks and just had chirpractor use activator tool and manipulation. 4 days no pain. had the same tearing/ripping/burning sensation whenever i would get into bed, put on pants, get into car. very limiting, very painful.
I have received help from my burning/tearing/tinging sensation in my left upper shin area from a friend who is a chiropractor.  Here is what he diagnosed and treated me with.  It's a bit technical but here is what he said:

"You had a peripheral entrapment syndrome of the lateral sural cutaneous  branch of the fibular nerve in the fascia behind and around the knee. I performed manual deep tissue fascia and muscle release, electrical muscle stimulation and low level laser therapy using 635 nm light beam. I would Ice and heat the whole area 5 minutes each, twice each, twice per day."

After receiving these therapies, the burning/tearing sensation when kneeling has disappeared.  The area still feels numb on the surface, but I am hopeful that with continued deep massage and ice/heat as he recommends, the numbness will eventually disappear too.
I was poking around, trying to find out if someone else had a similar issue with the area laterally and just below the knee.  It seems it hit the mother lode!  I'm very excited to read all these postings at this time because I found many people with the same problem and the good Dr. Rane who seems to have given us the answer.  I have learned in my brief 54 years that if I have a problem, lots of other people have the same problem.  I want to thank everyone who posted.  I still have the problem, but there is some comfort in knowing I'm not alone.
I came across this forum when I was looking for answers to some of the symptoms I have been experiencing and was surprised to find people that were experiencing the exact same symptoms as me.  I am 29 years old and eight months pregnant with my first child.  A couple months ago I suddenly felt a ripping/tearing feeling in the inside of my right hand thumb.  It felt like I had tore something.  I continued to feel these rips and tears for a week or two which was extremely painful.  Finally the ripping and tearing ended but the entire inside of my thumb is numb now and has been ever since with no sign of it going away.  I asked my obgyn about this, assuming it was a pregnancy symptom and the doctor told me that it sounded like carpal tunnel syndrome which apparently is common during pregnancy.  The doctor said it would go away after I had the baby.  I should also note that although my thumb no longer has pain, when I touch a certain spot on my wrist I get a tingling feeling that goes up my wrist and thumb.  I assumed that this was carpal tunnel until I just recently had the same ripping/tearing feeling on the outside of my left foot from my little toe almost to my ankle.  This area is now completely numb.  I have also been having the ripping/tearing sensations on the tops of both of my feet and on my right knee, although I have been careful not to exacerbate these rips and so far these areas have not become numb, although I still have pain in these areas if I move then in certain specific ways.

I have discussed the problem with some people to determine whether this was a symptom of pregnancy.  I was told by a couple people that it sounds like a nerve problem and that it is probably due to swelling/inflammation from the pregnancy (interestingly, the tearing/ripping in my feet began when my feet started to swell excessively) which can cause nerve problems.  

I will be waiting until after the baby is born to see if any of the symptoms go away but I am nervous that this is not a pregnancy problem and that the numbness is going to continue to spread.  
Hi, I am having a similar situation with the heal muscle. If I stretch it or stand  a certain way it feels as if my heal muscle is tearing off the bone and it takes about a minute for the pain to fade. I have never injured my feet but I do a lot of standing and walking. I hope I don't have some sort of bone or connective tissue disease... I seriously need to stay healthy as I am head of house hold and my family relies on me. I sure hope I can find out what it is and  if I do I will share the information. If someone out there has any idea what this may be I would love to hear from you.
Thanks,
Mistyella
Hi there,

So sad to read through, so many people having same problem and still no proper diagnosis or cure yet.

Just then my wife started having same burning feeling in her right knee. All of a sudden, there is  a small red macule (patch) on it.

In her childhood, she used to play lots of outdoor games which involved running, sprints. Also she used to bang her knees on hard floor, or on sand just for fun. so wondering this current pain, is it related to her past activities?

The interesting thing is. 1st time, it was very severe. but 2nd time its bit mild. There is a gap of 4 years in between. One thing I noticed is. Both pain occurred during end of winter and start of summer. (spring). So I am wondering weather is affecting the pain?

Doctors were not sure for the cause and just advised nothing but to put knee-cap. No drugs. No balm. No other prescription was given.

Best of luck to you guys.. I wish your pain goes away soon.

Regards,
Ausie Mate.
Ive had something similiar I'm 35  semi active. a lil overweight, It started about 2 years ago in my left hand and up to my elbow, Doctors said i had Brusitis and the treatments never really helped any. Then a year ago, It moved down to my hips then to my knee's and then more recently to my ankles. I've since switched doctors my new doctor called it "snapping tendons" some muscles are not developed and thats why it snaps, best thing is to exercise those muscles do side leg raises. for 15-20 mins each day. Could stand with a chair facing tv and hold it from the back and raise your leg to your side hold it for 10 seconds and repeat I do about 10 on one side and switch and switch again for 20 mins.And To squats. Where you stand straight up and go up on your toes for about 10 seconds and back down. you need to focus on the muscles around your affected area. If its your knees sit with your legs outstretched in front of you and work focus on moving you knees without moving the rest of your legs, It Its your hips sit on the floor spread you legs out like a "V" and stretch your arms across one leg and again to the other side, also the leg raises help with this aswell. If its your ankles rotate them around each time to stretch them and you can sit at your desk or table or on the couch and do ankle to toe stretches by pointing your toes outward as much as you can and holding it for 10 senconds. There are many exercises that can help rebuild muscle that are underdeveloped. talking to a Physiotherapist or weight trainer at your local health spa, going to a physical therapist or even checking online. Also Drinking lots of water. Water keeps your muscles hydrated. After the first week Ive noticed a great difference the pain and burning and tearing feeling was a lot less of a burden and by the second week, I didnt limp any more, and by the third I had no problems at all. Hope this helps.
I have a recent injury which i've observed for a month now along my tibialis anterior where if i am rubbed, not bumped, the wrong way my muscle feels like it is being torn. i have complete mobility of my foot and leg and do not cramp up at all. It's only when i am rubbed along my shin or just below my knee i feel like im on fire. how can i recover from this and what is my diagnostic?
I too have had a recent injury.  I was involved in a car accident a few days ago where I was the passenger in a car that rear ended another car at approx 115-125 Km/Hr.  There was no air bag on my side of the car so the seatbelt held me in place but my head violently flew forward from the impact.  It's only now that I have noticed that burning tearing feeling just below my left knee cap, but as you stated, I as well feel no pain until it is rubbed,touched, moved etc.. and I have no marks or bruises on my legs.  Any info or diagnostics would be greatly appreciated.
Burning sensations are usually due to a pinched nerve. But, can also cause a lot of other symptoms.  I chose to mention the burning sensation because everyone has mentioned it. The easiest and probably the least expensive would be to go find a good chiropractor and have them do the thermal heat imaging, I might have the name kind of mixed up, but they will be able to tell you if there is a nerve that is pinched they will also be able to tell you what part of the body that the specific nerves runs to. It's pretty cool. I had a back injury when I was very young and have a specific area that gets pinched if I move wrong or to quickly.  The nerve when pinched gives me the burning sensation up my neck, behind my left ear and the left side of my head and very sensitive to  the touch, also make me a little irritable.  You would be surprised what a little pinched nerve can do. The longer it is pinched the more permanent the damage could be.
36yo male, had the ripping and burning start in my left knee (left hand side) about 3 months ago. Figured it was an actual physical injury. Came with associated numbness thereafter. It happened at the time I was kneeling on the floor changing a nappy, knee bent to maximum - bugger me i moved quickly to stop that feeling. Seems now I feel remnants of the event on a daily basis, but it's more a curiosity than an annoyance (hence my stumbling into this thread).

I have a large scar on the inside of the same leg from an event when I was 14 (fell from a tree onto some no 8 wire on a fence that acted like a cheese wire and cut through to the bone left me with 40 stitches). Very severe injury, but also fortunately very clean! While I have surface numbness on the actual scar I have fully recovered from that (did so in about 3-6 months) and it's never been an issue. I don't consider it to be a contributor to this.

I haven't visited a doctor about it but will mention it next time I have an appointment (and I bet they love it when you start saying "I was reading about this on the Internet and ..."). Good luck to all.
I've had the pain off and on in my right leg for years.  Then for another year or so it subsided.  Now the pain has returned mainly to my right big to on top of my foot there is burning and tenderness to the touch the front (shin) of my right leg and the back of my right leg.  I'm not taking ibuprofen every morning in order to get thru the day.  Sometimes at night to sleep thru the pain.  I'm very tired of it.  I thought it was my weight as I had lost 40 pounds and gained back 41.  Not proud of that, but it puts me in the 241 zone.  I wish there was a complete answer.  I'm going to my chiropractor tomorrow.  I pray for an answer or a relief.  
I came here my chance on google to read about related problems with my joint and tendon and nerve pain. Im 32 Female caucasian. For the past id say 3 years im slowly getting progressive what i feel is almost a deterioration/degeneration of some sort related to my tendons and nerves thats debilitating. problems described as follows: slowly oncoming but getting worse , severe pain and weird numbness deep inside my right arms and hand sometimes upper arm mostly on my right but sometimes left as well. it can feel like  a dull dry achy ice cold numbness like someone is choking my nerve somewhere along my arm. ts now after sometime has started my knees too like around the knee bone , again feels like the tendons. doctors dont know what to say ive been seeing all kinds of them, treied chiro, even went to a therapist in germany while i was there who was the only one who pointed out that something is not right with my tendons  along with pointing out hypermobility (double jointed) which i was born with but seemingly getting looser i feel. in  i feel like all of my tendons throughout my body  are slowly now getting more painful mainly on my right side. i went for an mri recently of my lower spine and on top of all this which is unrelated, i have a herniation disk at L4-L5 and S1 (bulging) and i need a microdiscectomy which i keep putting off but think i have to get that done very soon because the sciatica is killing me. i went for a brain mri came out fine. however i never had my upper spine checked which i think i have something going on up there ( i was into all kinds of sports and fell many times snowboarding which i think is what did my herniations but not entirely sure) anyhow i want advice on the micro if anyone had it since some docs say to do it while others say i can treat the nerve with nerve blockers and continuous epiderals which i dont think is a good thing but im scared of surgury. so i have a few things going on but this tendon thing is getting much much worse where now i have weakness on right side along with recurring numbness some days i can barely get up and although it started with one arm and around my hand , fingers and elbow its now attacking my knees and right foot. i can almost pinpoint it to my tendons like its deep inside near the bone but my right hand and foot get very shaky and weak much weaker than the left , anyway just wanted to share. the meds that seem to help me are the xanax i take twice daily to keep my nerve endings at bay, found this helps the best and anti inflamation (inflammation). also i passed the burning phase along time ago that i would get all over the body in different areas,. anyway none of the docs and neurologists seem to have a clue on whats going on except for the herniated disc in my lower back but all the tendon issues along with numbness that slowly started in my right  arm  and now in my right side of the face, hand and leg even, i have no idea whats going on. My appetite has also gone down significantly.
IV got diagnosis of fybromyalgia 5yrs ago.Supposedly its in mostly females and in upper back.I've also pull muscles, tendons in skeletal muscles mostly in feet and shoulder blades! I alternate ibuprofen with aleve but still doesn't help but a little! I've always been very athletic but @38 its getting terrible! Any answers!
Sounds like you all have fybromyalgia
Check Dr Ranes useful comments from Dec12th & Dec 24th 2010.

I am 47 yrs, male, exercise alot (swim & cycle), and just started having the burning sensation on left side of heel at base of achilles tendon.

Guess it just the body telling me I'm not as young as I used to be...
I too have been dealing with pain, burnig, numbness for years mainly in my right foot, ankle, thigh and behind my knee . I am 32 yrs old and female. They are thinking I have lupus or rhemithoid arthris, however I also have sezuires have now lost my sense of smell, have constant headaches and am seriously tired all the time. This is after yrs of doctors saying pretty much it was in my head and pinched nerves and all that crap. Finaly one doctor took me serious and ran a blood test I have a positive ANA  which is a good start to finding the real issue you might start there  
PSUWayne,

Have you been tested for Lyme Disease, Babesiosis, or other infections that can cause joint inflammation?
i guess i am the newest member of the *medically challenged* club!
i am a 35yo female who like most above described have been suffering since my teenage years with the burning tearing pain numbness etc.
as i only breezed through the years of comments as you all know they are pretty much the same worded differently i noticed i have a few extra "bonuses" than some
I have problems with the tendon that runs from the heel to ball of your foot both feet - was told it was plantar fasciitis
both my knees - after over ten years of hounding drs i was sent to a knee and hip specialist had both mri'd and discovered i had a slight tilt of the patella of both. i get tearing and burning pains in my Achilles just walkin  
hip/pelvis doing some things i found i was getting pains like a cramp u cant massage out just by walking or bending etc - was told my pelvis was popping out of place required physio regularly or to get popped back in
my back i have bulging discs from L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1. they say no damage to nerves but get the sciatica both legs to toes and the evil pinch in my bottom area (first disc to go was L4-5 created chain reaction since 98)
hands- dr first suspected carpel tunnel both negative and 15yrs later dr told me it is tendon that runs from thumb up arm which i apparently keep  re-injuring but i get numbness in my little, ring and middle fingers
elbows i have broken both so it may be just tendonitis as i did extensive damage but none the less its an effected area
last but not least between my shoulders and neck i get the burning tearing pain as well
now the drs have said they are this n that over the years when u push n push because you know your not imagining it and that it is real but i just wonder if maybe its not an "injury" problem but maybe a tendon defect that effects all the tendons but just at various stages in our lives.. my shoulders were first i remember that back in 88 and was always very active sports wise from when i was a kid to 98 when i injured my back.
the bonuses i speak of i also get extreme fluid build up for months at a time it doesnt matter what i drink or do when my feet legs and hands are at their worst i am holding loads of fluid to which i am put on fluid tablets but no relief than one day the fluid is just gone after a few months. this time dr did large amounts of tests to make sure it wasnt any problems from the organs which it wasnt.
as for chicken pox i have had that 4 to 5 times (lost count) as i only had small doses
cant take amoxacilian or however you spell it or antiinflammatories
i am going to be speaking to my dr about it more deeply next week to find out if by chance it is an all tendon thing it just seems weird that most of mine are affected will let you know of his opinion good luck to all x
had ct scan on both knees the mri was on the spine sorry
You know I saw the date on the first one and was stunned to see one only a few days ago. I first felt the tearing sensation about 2 weeks ago squatting down to put the groceries away I though something in my jeans scraped me. I rolled up my pant leg and there was nothing there but skin. It happened again and i just kneeled to do the rest. It has been happening more frequently since then. I hoped to be able to find something there but apparently this is just something that I am going to have to get used to. My doctor is a pill guy so there is no point going to get a script. I am a 31 year old female and have had the chickenpox but not shingles (for statistics sake). I am fairly active and have suffered no injuries of my knee in about 5 years. At least I know I'm not alone!
Excellent article on tendonitis vs. tendonosis and treatment options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan13.htm
I am 34 and male... I've been diagnosed with chronic pain before this similar occurrence...

I too have had very similar tendon/ligament ailments as many of you have mentioned.   I have "loose joints"... as well as chronic pain in my back.  I saw a few others mention they had "loose/hyperflexive" joints- with an early diagnosis of ADHD,  though I was NOT hyperactive.   My pain doctor suggested that it might be Marfan's Syndrome.  It comes with those symptoms,  look it up if you're interested.  

I too have had:  Chicken pox,  and was prescribed Cipro back about 9 months ago.  I first noticed that I was waking up with foot/calf spasms.  Like a 'charlie-horse' in my leg... it was excruciating.  It felt like the muscle was ripping loose from my leg!  Then I began to develop arm problems after "breaking" the end of my elbow/funny bone.  The muscles tore loose from my arm,  and I was in terrible pain for months.  Eventually had to pull fluid off the joint, and given a steroid injection... as it had set up Cubital Tunnel syndrome,  or something similar.  Was getting pins and needles in my arm hand,  with bursitis on the muscle pinching off the median nerve.

Then I had an old running injury in my right knee that started acting up again.  It would occasionally act up,  but not this bad!  I think I tore the right part of the tendon that connects my patella to my shin bone.  Not all the way torn,  but enough to somewhat impair my ability to use my leg.  I've been having to limp around in a bandage for a couple of weeks.  It had grown back,  but some little kid ran in front of my in the store and I heard another POP right below my knee cap.  It seems like it's swelling around the knee cap.

For all you with similar problems in your legs-- I didn't notice that my knee was really hurt at first.  I began to feel a burning sensation/cut feeling on my knee or around it... later.   I think sitting 'indian style' made my hyper-flexive knees (that I've had since a kid) perhaps tear something else.  Maybe a tendon.  Because ligament tears make you feel like you're going to faint.  I broke almost all 3 of the main ones in my right foot landing on a curb,  I saved one of them (saving surgery for me!) but I have a flat foot that gives me much pain now.

A suggestion I learned from my arm... it seems like when you injure a tendon,  your body begins to get bursitis,  or swelling of fluid in the muscle.  This can pinch off the nerve... and cause some positions to feel better,  and pinch the nerve off in others.  I have had sciatica before,  but this seems like something else in the leg instead... maybe around the knee.   I usually wrap the knee and try not to over-extend the knee... and then do slight walking after it gets a bit better... to increase strength lost and to compensate with other muscle groups-- which i would recommend.

It sounds like many of you are describing either a misaligned joint and/or tendinitis or ligament tears.  This would explain swelling in the muscle with pain when flexing.   I truly believe this became MUCH more worse since Cipro.  I've been taking Advil and it somewhat keeps it at bay... but I've noticed my right big toe (of the right knee hurt) seems to be going numb.  Or feels like it's gone to sleep.

I've heard about tendon tears with Cipro before... i didn't want to take it because I already had back issues-- but they insisted on it.

BTW,  has anyone checked your kneecap (patella)?  Mine was somewhat out of alignment,  and was painful around the area of the knee.  Look up about the knee,  and you can see just how many groups of connective tissue make it up.   Sit with both legs exactly in the same position,  and then feel and see if all the edges feel exactly the same.  Make sure you're at the same angle with knee/leg and everything.   This might point you in the right direction.

Also-- many of you seem to be describing bursitis of the leg/knee which definitely could affect the nerve,  as it did with my arm and presently leg.  My whole foot feels stiff and seems to be popping more frequently.  Sometimes it feels like my whole lower leg "relocates" into socket.  It feels good,  as it tends to ache with the colder weather and swelling.

Hope you all find this to be helpful!  Feel better soon.  Would immobilize the joint,  NSAIDs,  and/or ice then heat after the injury is "fresh".  And perhaps wrap knee or other joint with ACE bandage, not too tight as it could cause more circulation problems.  Best of luck!
i can't move my right leg is paining and my left hand is gone short cant put it straight and now my right hand going like that !
I have had left thigh pain and a burning feeling behind my knee for several years that is now chronic. I get gout in my feet and shin splints.
Both my knees,both ankles crackle and pop. Any old injuries seem to be coming back as phantom pains.
My doctor told me it is not diabetes, but I had gestational diabetes with both of my kids.
It is not Fibromyalgia, but 2 of my sisters and a brother have it.
It is not osteoarthritis, but my grandparents on both sides had that and
It is not drug related since I refuse all pain meds and do not drink.
I am on a low salt diet and low sugar because I expect to present with one of those disorders later in life.
I have many symptoms of the same things my siblings have. I do what I can to prolong my own health, yet it seems the past few years to have krept up in me.
Recently I had a bunch of tests done to rule out blood clots,vitamin deficiencies etc.
I feel chonic pain in many parts of my body that are not exercise related.
I am having numness and even lost 4 toenails a year ago.
The last two on each foot. Now I am getting MRI and CT scans.
This seems insane to me. So many doctors cannot pinpoint any one thing causing my distress.
I took antidepressants,bloodthinners and such. I have a child with autism I cannot afford to be doped up on pain meds or made disfunctional on antidepressants that made me angry/violent.
I notice if I lay off gluten and corn syrup,salt and sufates my symptoms reduce.
   Hello!!!, I am a 40 year old woman. When I was quite young, on the out side of my right leg by my knee, I had a small hole that if i squeezed it a white chalky              
like substance would come out. It was weird because when I would squeeze it would send a sharp like pain straight down the side of my leg. Now this went on for some years, it eventually healed left a small pin hole and never had any pain. For many years I have been super active work on a ranch and eat as good as possible. I threw my back out picking up a desk (you know like the desk our teachers had) and it was full. I was stuck in bed for a week along with a terrible toothache. A week later had the tooth pulled afraid to go, knowing I would have to lay there in pain. The funny thing was I walked out like nothing ever happened to my back. Thinking my back was fine my back pain came right back(It also caused my back to go out more often than planned and left a swollen mark on my spine?). Also I have had many problems w/my wrist,elbows shoulders that came along from my job, broken blood vessels on the right top of my arm right below my wrist started to appear. Now sometimes this would swell, get more broken blood vessels then go away and still continues to jump back and forth. Now w/this also gives me a sharp pain from the wrist up to the armpit shoulder neck pain. OK lets get back to the point. For years I could not touch my shins especially when someone else would touch them. (Wondered if it could have been from being kicked in the shins almost everyday from a friend as a little girl it seemed liked I had lived w/the bruises for years.) For years when ever I would bend my knee or kneel on it I would have to straighten it right a way to make the sharp burning pain that would shoot down the side of my right leg to stop. About 10 years ago I hit right above the knee real bad, it felt like a burning fluid feeling, in the knee. I also get paralysis in my legs and then it goes away like nothing ever happened. Just about  a week ago I kneeled on my knees and when I tried to get up I got stuck because I tried not to put pressure on the right knee and did just that, I felt a pop, twist, painful stingy, fiery like liquid shoot down the right side of the leg. It was very hard to walk because you can feel the burning fluid stinging electrical like feeling in the leg. Then I noticed the next day my knee was swollen and bruised on the other of the knee. Now when I rubbed  right below the knee cap it would send a pain in the side of the leg. Its like a nerve thats running along the side of thigh all the way down. A few more days later the spot thats swollen on the spine is even more swollen and cant lay sit or stand. Also when I was born being a twin my sister and I both had been buckled at the knees and had to where a brace for sometime. Now as an adult I LOVE walking, standing and sitting penguin toed. I have been taking some homeopathic for it and thats does help a lot. I do ramble on quite some but hey this was really cool sharing this and reading all yours thanks so much Im trying a Ayurvedic doctor  there wonderful, there all over and you should try too. Have fun you know we also can heal ourselves One thing I do love doing is Labeling your water by faceing the words saying what ever you want, (everything has a frequency, so do words) face them towards the water the water reads it and bam it works now I done it w/my animals and daughters while they were sick but no I have not done it for myself but hey now that I mentioned it I better get on it. Also if my back is herniated where on the sciatic nerve I've heard their are good exercises to do don't jump in and have surgery. Thats what I think!!!! Have a Great Life and enjoy yourself and others as much as you can I know we hurt but thats what make us stronger. Plant something!!! Dragonfly~ 11-16-11-1:52am :)
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and answer this.  It makes sense.  As I was reading your post, I realized I had my feet back on my chair.  I brought them right down.  I think I will spend less time here and see it that helps the tearing feeling in my foot.  God Bless you.
Hi all, I have been experiencing the same problems in my elbow, left knee and now right knee. Exactly as described by others. A burning, tearing sensation when kneeling. The onset of my problems seemed to coincide with me starting to take statin drugs to control my cholestrol. Through my own research on the internet I see that tendonitis is one of the side effects of statins. I have stopped taking the statins but 2 months later am still experiencing problems. I would be interested to know if others on this forum are also taking/have taken statins.
Although the comments of the doctor are highly appreciated, I find it hard to accept that this is purley part of the aging process. I go to the gym most days and am in reasonably good shape for my age (51). In my case I believe the statins caused my tendons to become succeptable to damage through the depletion of a key enzyme. Even though I have stopped taking the statin, the damage has infortunately been done and it is unclear to me how long it wilk take (if ever) for the damage to be repaired. Obviously many people posting here are too young to be taking statins and there must be other factors that have caused problems in their case. Hiwever,t in my case I am convinced that taking statins has been a causal factor. Any comments welcomed.
Hm, that's an interesting theory.  I've been taking statins (Lipitor then Vytorin) for many years now (genetic hyperlipidemia).  I've never heard of it causing tendinitis.  Something to look into I suppose.
Hi again, if you google 'tendonitis and statins' there is plenty of information online which supports this theory. Take a look at the following links:

http://m.theheart.org/article/846295.do

http://www.spacedoc.com/tendonitis_statins

http://mdredux.blogspot.com/2008/03/statins-and-tendon-problems-signal-or.html

I would be interested to know if any others posting to this forum feel there may be a link between the reported problems and the use of statins.

Wow I'm surprised there are so many threads on this and there doesn't seem to be no real answer.I have been experiencing the same exact things for quite awhile now and I'm not sure what to do.I have lost all feeling on the top of my little toe but not the bottom also the front of my big toe and occasionally on the back of my heel all on my left foot.also on both hands between the index and middle finger running along the top of my hands back to my wrist.the numbness has become constant with the same tearing burning sensation on a regular basis.I'm a 35 y.o. male and have been experiencing this problem since I was 31.I've had similar experiences with my Dr as I've read above except after about the 4th attempt at trying to fix this problem I was told I was a hypochondriac.this was very upsetting as all you can imagine as this is a very real problem.hopefully someone will get the answers we need.
I am in a terrible state. My muscles are killing me with the burning and cramping. I don't know what to do? I have been dx as having a severe vitamin D deficiency, pre-diabetic and Cholesterol pretty high.
I just wish I could understand what is causing all of this. I am taking a high dosage prescription of Vit.D and wondered if that is what is making me so miserable. I do have some good days that are far and few between, but when it is bad, it is bad. I have to lay in bed for days sometimes and I don't understand what in the world could be doing me that way.
I do have some herniations in my Thoracic (T8-T11 with hypertrophy in T10-T11). Although, the Doc that dx'd them, told me that whatever it was in my back, was out of his area of expertise. I am confused. Do I have herniations or could this be some kind of cyst back there.
I do have a lot of brain fog, but thinking it is bc of the medicine that I have been prescribed.(Neurontin-but I take the generic Gabapentin 3-300mg 3x a day) I do better when I do take it, but the Docs(NS & NL) both have not said anything @ nerve damage, just Carpal Tunnal Syndrome on both hands.
I truly believe this was all due to the surgery that I had in '06(ACD & F spinal diskectomy of my C5-C6). Ever since the surgery my body has gone completely downhill and the pain is excruciating at times. My pain level usually stays around 5 or 6...I have just adjusted to it and believe u me...that is not fun to do. IT is just downright hard.
Anyone got any idea why are LEGS are killing us. MY KNEES hurt if I stand (legs buckle and give way),if I sit(go numb) or if I lay(my legs cramp up). THey bother me no matter what and this has got to give. I am so tired of it and need an answer.
I pray that we do find the reason that we are in so much misery. Don't forget to pray..that is where it is at. He, at least, gets us through another day.:))<3 Karen

Dx: DDD of Cervical, lumber, Hip/Joint, Spondylosis, Fibromyalgia(I think this one is just a label for something far more complex), CRPS, Chiari Malformation(but later said it was Tonsilar Ectopia), Venous Anomally( earlier said it was Venous Angioma-misnomer), Spinal Stenosis( they don't know if I have this or not...I guess, they are unsure..why?) ,Migraine, T3-T4 compressed fracture, T8-T11 disk herniations, fractured right rib(don't know how I got that exactly and would like to know)
Surgery: Endometriosis(2-laporoscopies), Hysterectomy, Bone Spur removal in left jaw, ACD & F spinal diskectomy C5-C6
How many of you are watching what you eat?  There are a lot of chemicals in our food / water supply.  Anything you put in or on your body can have negative effects and symptoms. The reason the doctors don't know is there are just to many possibilities.  Fractures, weak bones, weak joints, loose joints, tendon slip, tendinitis, micro-tearing, stress, and on and on.  Some things to think about which may or may not help, physical therapy.  I had a joint out of place once for 8 months, the pain was almost gone but I still couldn't really use my arm much.  3rd doc sent me to physical therapy, after 1 visit it popped back in and I was able to use the arm.  but if you guys are popping out and then back in place, you won't see anything, but it will be quite painful.
eat lots of raw veggies / fruits.  eat lean meat / fish.  do not consume pesticides - ie eat organic or holistic if possible.  high potassium vs calcium.  milk and dairy products are known to cause mucus buildup and inflammation.  eat more cucumbers.  - my elbow is the same way right now, only hurts when full bent, especially if fully bent AND force applied sideways - no other pain, not when twisting or extending or anything, no swelling, no discoloration.  I DO have many back issues and have thought that a possibility.  I do believe it is the tendon / tendon connection.  I start medical school next year and if I discover something, I will try and put it on here.
Did you do any research on statins and their possible side effects? I discussed this with my doctor and he said that tendon damage was not normally associated with taking statins. However, I still believe there may be a link - any comments from others on statins as a possible cause?
There is a condition called alternately RSD or CRPS. RSD= Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, or Disorder- not real sure which one. CRPS = Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. This is a neurological condition that causes pain and sometimes injury in soft tissue areas. It most commonly appears after an injury but is not limited to this scenario.

An orthopedic is the best person to diagnose this and one question they will ask is if the skin is ever cool to the touch and discolored during the episode. If it is, then that is a strong indicator of this condition.
This is exactly the same problem that I have experienced starting 9 months ago.  I'm a 60 year old, very healthy and active woman.  It started on the top of my right foot and spread to my calve, then also  egan in my left foot and has spread to that calve.  My toes are numb and the pain is worse upon rising in the morning, although I can ride my bike with little pain.  I know how debilitating the pain can be, and it's always there.
I have had chicken pox as a child.  Curiously, before the pain on the tops of my feet started, I began experiencing an intense itching on one area of my arm.  There is no rash noticable, but the itching is very severe, and usually happens at night.
I am 39 yrs old male diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease.  I am very athletic and active though i have put on more weight that I should.  my waist line still 37-38.   have this reoccuring pain/ sometimes just discomfort on my foot usually starts under the metatarsal/phalanges bone and moving to the top of the foot itself. after a day there will be stiffness surrounding the fibula and tibia while the pain increase on the top of the foot.  if this happens i will really struggle to put weight on my foot and will have dificulty walking.  after this the right foot follow.  My father and brother who suffered the same PKD never had any symptoms like this.
Hi everyone,

this comment might throw some of you for a loop!

I'm 23 and have been actively seeking health for a few years now. i'm right at the line just above underweight. i was a gymnast for many years and now ive been doing yoga for about 7 years.

one year ago, while i was in mexico i fell down the stairs and landed on my tailbone. the impact was strong enough to knock me unconscious. when i woke up i couldnt see, hear or move my limbs. for about 15 minutes i thought i was paralyzed, until slowly all the sensations came back. nothing was broken, but i really smashed it and still have some pain today when i sit for too long.

my first 'tearing, ripping, numbness episode' started a few weeks after this injury and was only in my right wrist. it lasted a few months. i still havent regained full feeling.

now im out of the country again, this time in india! im having this same issue again but now its in my left thigh and can trigger if i take too large of a step, so its several times a day and i have to always be conscious of it. the pain and sensitivity (because it triggers with a smaller range of motion now) has grown over the last three days. i can't do yoga or walk very fast.

the weird thing is that over the 3 months i was in mexico i didn't get my menstrual cycle at all. now being in india for 3 months, once again the same situation.

so... because of my coccyx injury and the missing menstrual cycle... i think in my case it could be either hormonal or neurological.

before the injury and still today ive been experiencing small patches of numbness in my spine. i had a brain mri 1.5 years ago to rule out MS and everything came back fine.

ive never taken antiobiotics, never had chicken pox or shingles.
I've just started experiencing the tearing sensations in the last few weeks. I noticed it first in my left leg, just below the knee and down the left side of the shin. When I kneeled down i experienced something akin to kneeling on a pin cushion. At the same time I also noticed that if I straightened my left leg and pointed my foot and big toe, i would get the ripping sensation people have spoken of here. I honestly thought the skin was pulling of the nail of my big toe, but inspection showed nothing. With the knee, when I initially kneel on it I get the pin cushion sensation, but if I lift it up and kneel again, it disappears. Having diligently read most of the posts on here, it appears that Dr Ranes has pretty much nailed the answer. I am 49, and notice that the majority of the posts are from people around this age group. Also I have recently had a flare up of a sciatic nerve problem which I first experienced over 10 years ago. I am also aware that my posture can be poor, I work in an office and over the last year or so, spend a fair portion of my evenings with a laptop on my, yes you guessed it, lap!  I think all these things have been contributary and agree with Dr Ranes that the best remedies are more stretching and more awareness of bad posture. I see my chiroprator every 3 months for maintenance to my lower back area. Sadly, none of us can get away from the age thing and the lack of elasticity that it brings. I have noticed my symptoms lessening recently and hope this will continue. I must thank PSU Wayne for rasing this group and Dr Ranes for his/her invaluable comments. I now feel assured that I can treat this and that it may well subside.  
Are you, or have you ever taken statin drugs? If so, when and for how long in relation to the onset of these symptoms?
I have been fighting the symtoms (symptoms) from 40mgs of Lipitor and I had muscle aches, weakness, muscle cramps, and now burning tendon like feelings in my knee when bent, big toe when streched. I haven't seen the doctor yet to change my drug, but some say Ease a trol is my next try. I had these same weakness with 20mgs of Crestor. 10 mgs did not bother me.
I have the same thing in my right knee, this has only been going on for three weeks but that is three weeks to long. I had a mri and my results came back fine. Soo mad and wanted to know if you have found any more info to share. I am 35 Female   Thanks Tammie
I have the tearing burning sensation just below and to the outer aspect of my knees with some maybe slight swelling and numbness but no long term pain when I try to kneel.  Some times when I get up and start walking, I feel like my knees are not well connected for a second.  I too feel this could be related to taking statins.   I have been on Crestor this time for about 5 months and take CQ10 with it. The tearing sensations started about a month ago. I stopped taking 2 other statins for various knee and joint problems over the past 4 years.   I think more studies need to be done on statins and wonder how many who have posted these problems with tearing sensation are on them.
Crikey, one more to add to the list of sufferers here!  Sharp tearing pain just below and outside the right knee when under full compression.  No more kneeling down to get the children dressed for me!

40 yr old, male, competitive cyclist.  I generally train 6 days a week and mercifully, so far, this isn't affecting my cycling.  I mentioned it to my physio last week & he couldn't think of an obvious cause.

It started approx 1 month ago.  I *think* that it roughly coincides with some trauma to my lower back that meant I struggled to walk for three days.  That's the last time I heft a huge mattress up a steep flight of stairs!  The back pain went away after a few days, though it was really nasty while it lastest.  

A number of others on this thread have alluded to a possible connection with nerves around the lower back.  At the moment, my money's on that, although I do intend to see my doctor about it soon.  In the meantime, I'm avoiding any kind of full compression of my right knee, and have started some lumbar extension exercises to target the lower back.

Best of luck to all the fellow sufferers.  I'll post back here if anything changes.

Cheers.  Mark.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the numbness below & outside the right knee as well :-)
There are a lot of people posting here who are good candidates for Lyme Disease.  Lyme Disease is epidemic and terribly underdiagnosed in the US.  The CDC says there are probably about ten times the reported cases of 30,000.  At 300,000 cases a year, that's more than Breast Cancer!

Many many people go undiagnosed for years because doctors do not recognize the symptoms, and do not know that up to half of patients test negative on standard blood tests, especially if you've had antibiotics that were insufficient to kill all of the spirochetes.

There are dozens of possible symptoms, but in the US, muscle and joint pain are very common.  A classic feature of Lyme is that the symptoms seem to move around and/or come and go and/or vary in intensity.  Many people with Lyme are misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia, as every symptom of Fibro is on the Lyme symptom list.  Note: Fibromyalgia is not a disease, but rather a collection of symptoms with an unkown cause. Lyme is a known infection caused by a Borrelia spirochete.

This document contains a thorough symptom list.  It's designed for doctors, so you can skip the more technical parts.  
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Note: Lyme Disease is controversial.  Most doctors were taught that is is hard to get and easy to treat and that's it's identified by a rash and swollen knees. Many won't diagnose the disease unless you went to a hyper endemic area right before symptoms started, regardless of your symptoms and test results. Other doctors, called Lyme Literate Medical Doctors have become familiar with the many symptoms of the disease through experience and will treat you untill you are well. Most Infectious Disease doctors will tell you that a month's worth of oral antibiotics will cure you, and your remaining symptoms might fade with time, or that you have "post Lyme disease treatment syndrome" and they'll give you drugs for your chronic pain.  Do your research and choose wisely.
Same thing, it started in my left knee, Dr had nerve removed, then it moved to big toe lasted for months. Then moved to right knee and is now in the left hand index finger on the right side of the finger.
The burning, tearing sensation with numbness is constant. Have a Dr appt on monday for my hand, but I'm thinking of cancelling it,  just might be a waste of time. I have asprin at home.
@ Carla707 I have been suffering very similar symptoms, sudden onset of pain in my right knee and now in my right foot on the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals. I have had the herpes virus and this makes complete sense taking into consideration the type of pain caused, but it also feels like a nerve, tendon and bone problem with the additional problem of tense muscles.  I also have a lack of vitamin D which may be the cause but has not been completely diagnosed as yet.
Add another with same symptoms.  I get the described tearing/burning pain in my right hip when I bend over to my left side.  This started just a few days ago and then I noticed today it has spread to my right quad.  When I plant my right foot and step forward with my left foot like an over exaggerated "bigfoot" step it feels like my quad is going to snap.  What I don't understand is I have been running miles a day, going to football practice, and mma practice for the last 3 months and have only just now experienced the pain.  None of my activities cause the pain, only when I move my body in specific ways. I have had chicken pox but never shingles.  The only other thing I can add is I agree with the suspicion it may be lower back/nerve related because I had a lower back injury in the gym 3 years ago while doing squats.  Hope someone.e can find an answer.
Unbelievable!!  I'm amazed at how many people are experiencing the same issues and not one doctor can come up with a true diagnosis of this problem!  I, too, have had (and still have) issues with the tearing, burning, numb areas:  both hands, both knees, left shoulder, left elbow, left hip, lower back problems...the familiar set of issues.  I was found to be vitamin D deficient a couple of years ago and have been on high dose vitamin D since.  I have a ruptured disc L4-L5 that happened about 12 years ago.  I had chicken pox as a kid (40 or so years ago).  I've had MRI's done of both knees, left elbow and left ankle; all of which came back with issues, but nothing that explained the tearing, burning, numb stuff.  Some of the doctors I've seen say to completely immobilize the area until better (which I've done and it takes WEEKS to get back to close to normal) and I've seen some doctors that say that you should continue using the 'limb' to keep it from stiffening and worsening.  Unfortunately, continued use just keeps it hurting.  Sounds like someone should really start researching this very common issue and come up with a solution!!!  HOPEFULLY SOON!!  Good luck to all of you!!!
Thanks for this info about lyme disease. It is something I have wondered about. I will do some additional research.
I almost cried when I found this and started reading what you wrote back in 2007.  You nailed all of my symptoms.  I was so glad (that sounds strange...I don't want anyone to have this) other people have this same issue.  I am a 33 year old female and I have had issues since 2006....my right knee, then heel on outside of right foot, then they went away for about a year.  Then the heel started up again, top of my left foot between big toe and second toe, inside of left heel.  Right knee started up again.  I now have numb spots all ove the lower part of my body.  I have seen a podiatrist (Cortizone shots and varouis creams...nothing), orthopedist, neurologist....had MRI's, nerve study's....nothing....They just told me to see a physical therapist.  Now just this week my left elbow is starting for the first time and I am so fed up!!!!  I wish I had the answer, but I'm hopeful someone on here will find one...
I have Fibromyalgia. I also suffer from a tearing sensation along the right side of my index finger on my left hand. The area becomes numb and will remain numb for days to weeks at a time.
A couple tendons popped off the knee. Would ace bandages help them all work together and lessen the  tearing and pain? I take a lot of non narcotic pain stuff, anti inflammatory neuron tin cymbata and  others Had epidural but the tearing is worse than anything. I will put bengay on as it is distracting even.My legs compete in shrinking so I have been dieting so the weight of the trst of my body isnt overwhelming. They dont grow bigger once they shrink. I have lost
I have similar problems to yours. I have symmetrical inflammation of most tendons in my body: both knees (patella tendon & medial aspect), both elbows (medial & lateral), one shoulders, Achilles heel, lower and upper spine and tendons in my feet. I've been to many doctors of various specializations. I've taken antibiotics for three months. I've been on reumatholgical drugs for half of year: methotrexat, sulfosalazin, cyklosporin etc.. with no improvement. So far only NSAIDs help to manage the pain. My doctor says is autoimmune disease but I don't fit to any reumathological diseases because I don't have swollen joints, only inflamed tendons. As most of you I don't have a proper diagnosis and my health is getting worse. I'm trying change of diet now, no gluten, meat and diary, mostly veggies and fruits. Had little improvement but nothing spectacular. If some of you have some ideas about our state, please share.
A related discussion, PSUwayne was started.
Just found the list. Same story, tearing feeling when stretching a couple of fingers, followed by numbness.
Faded out of the fingers a couple years ago, but now my big toe is starting up.

I haven't been to a doctor about it, now I see it wouldn't have helped.

I once saw the "bodyworlds" show, and was interested to note that the nerves look like wires strung out to each extremity, via their own paths through bones etc.

I'm wondering if for some reason these are getting caught up and stretching out too much, which you would think would hurt like hell, and then cause numbness in the area that particular nerve is supposed to monitor..

Don't know how that idea helps or not..
I have a similar story and several suggestions for people to research; In my mid teens I started getting persistent toe pain and some stiffness that after a month or so moved up my legs to both my knees and not much later hips and then centralized in my low back.  One of the many Doctors diagnosed AS( Ankylosing Spondylitis) an inflammatory autoimmune disease involving the deterioration of the spinal Column among other joints in advanced stages however after over a year of tests and medication changes/combinations, it was confirmed I don't  have inflammation so that diagnosis was removed.  Fast forward, pain continues spreading to my upper back, hands, arms, neck and I also experience numbness, tingling, pins and needles. Numbness below mid shin and in my hands and   cold hands and feet, and I will feel pins and needles often in a hot shower in addition to tingling when I get too hot.  'sensitivity to direct light and heat or cold. '  On two occasions I have had spontaneous  numbness in my mouth the first time it was just the left half mainly in the tongue and check and lasted for a few days, a week or two later it happened again with my whole mouth. Other symptoms lnclude Gi problems.. nausea, dizziness, mental fog and excessive fatigue The pain has been widespread severe and almost constant, as others have mentioned it is almost 'random' and I agree but for me at least it is also linked to movement and especially over use. It is often in and around joints like hips, shoulders, and arms/hands, knees also affecting muscles and tendons. Currently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and chronic pain. Fibromyalgia is in the autoimmune family, it's a chronic widespread pain 'syndrome' technically since like many other autoimmune diseases there is no definitive test for it. That being said it can take a long time to get a diagnosis and even longer to get the most accurate one.
I should also note that my sister, first cousin, and grandmother all have similar conditions. Sister is currently diagnosed with systemic lupus  but hasn't had severe symptoms for a few years and has been able to continue working, grandma has fibromyalgia, and cousin has undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy, and recently diagnosed  with Rheumatoid arthritis and fibro and just finnished college.  Note, one or more of the diagnosis are likely wrong or will be replaced/added too. However I suggest everybody do reading on fibromyalgia and different trigger points also on some other related autoimmune diseases like inflammatory arthropathys.

I hope this information helps
Did you find out what was causing your problem because I'm having the exact same problem and don't know what it is. Thanks
My ripping and pain started on the side of my right knee when I was pregnant. After almost a year I have feeling there but now my other knee is having the problem and my left big toe and some other spots. Did you find out what this was?
Last year I was around 6 months pregnant and one night when getting into bed I felt this horrible ripping feeling on the side of my right knee in the skin that was excruciating and became numb. For several weeks I couldn't bend my knee because it would feel like something was ripping in it so I finally went to the doctor. He thought I had bursitis so he gave me a cortisone shot. After a few weeks the pain and ripping feeling went away but the numbness stayed. I would say it was numb with no pain for almost a year and finally started getting feeling there again. After I had my son I noticed that I had numbness on my outer right ankle (no pain) and the lower left center of my back. Now lately I bent my left big toe and had a little bit of that painful ripping feeling and numbness and the left side of my left knee is now numb. I have seen a lot of posts saying they had the same thing with me but I haven't see any real reasons for it. Does anyone know what this is? I went back to the doctor earlier this year and he thought it sounded odd and wondered if it is neuropathy and said if it gets worse he wants to check for that but really he was just guessing and only said that because my mom has neuropathy.
I would suggest that it's tendon inflamation (inflammation) that occurs for a number of reasons ... In time it settles down and disappears for years .... Then pops up for a few months and disappears again .... Doctors don't have a solution ... Heat or ice the area based on how you best respond to either and wait it out
A related discussion, Extreme random pain in calves or feet was started.

I am having pain in foot, calf muscles, hand and shoulders. They do not come at the same time. I also have blocked ducts. Were you able to find an answer to your problem? Pl mail me at ar_chitra***@****

Regards
Chitra
India