Unknown and recurring tendon/ligament burning/tearing pain followed by numbness
For the past several years I've had long periods (upwards of 6 months at a time) of  excruciating burning/tearing pain in various tendons or ligaments when stretched.  

The first occurrence was in my right knee.  If I bent my knee near its maximum extent (such as when kneeling, crouching or climbing into bed), I experienced an incredibly painful tearing/burning sensation in the area of my patellar tendon.  I would immediately react and straighten my knee and the pain would completely dissipate within several minutes.  Afterward the area would feel about 50% numb, as if injected with a mild local anesthetic that was slowly wearing off, for several hours.  I mentioned this to my doctor and he just dismissed it as "you probably just strained your knee", but I hadn't.  Normal walking, running, jumping, etc caused no pain, weakness or instability and there was no swelling, bruising or other external indication of injury.  It was only while fully bent that the pain occurred. This episode lasted for at least 6 months.  Then, as quickly and mysteriously as it appeared, it was gone.

Some months later, I went to step up on a curb and I experienced the same tearing pain in my right Achilles tendon when I bent my foot upward near its max extent.  Just as with the knee, the pain subsided within a few minutes and a numbness was left behind.  This lasted several months as well, then suddenly disappeared.  

Next, the same happened in my right knee again, although this time it was in my Lateral Collateral ligament area.  This lasted for several months as well.  During this particular episode the numbness that followed the pain never completely subsided, though.  When the episode was over, I was left with a persisting slight numbness and slight pain sensitivity to external pressure (sensitive to the touch).  

About a month ago my fourth episode began and continues today.  This time it's along the outside of my right big toe and occurs when I extend my foot downward and point my toes, such as when putting on a pair of pants.  Like the last episode, the numbness is not subsiding after a pain attack.  

Overall the pain is short-lived when I forget myself and accidentally induce it.  It's more of a nuisance than anything, but at the same time it's troubling to think that there could be an underlying reason which may be serious.  

So I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this and has a name to put on it so I can either put my mind at rest or get treatment without having to battle the usual "oh, you probably strained it, take some ibuprofen and see what happens" from my doc.

Thanks!!
This is exactly the same problem that I have experienced starting 9 months ago.  I'm a 60 year old, very healthy and active woman.  It started on the top of my right foot and spread to my calve, then also  egan in my left foot and has spread to that calve.  My toes are numb and the pain is worse upon rising in the morning, although I can ride my bike with little pain.  I know how debilitating the pain can be, and it's always there.
I have had chicken pox as a child.  Curiously, before the pain on the tops of my feet started, I began experiencing an intense itching on one area of my arm.  There is no rash noticable, but the itching is very severe, and usually happens at night.
I am 39 yrs old male diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease.  I am very athletic and active though i have put on more weight that I should.  my waist line still 37-38.   have this reoccuring pain/ sometimes just discomfort on my foot usually starts under the metatarsal/phalanges bone and moving to the top of the foot itself. after a day there will be stiffness surrounding the fibula and tibia while the pain increase on the top of the foot.  if this happens i will really struggle to put weight on my foot and will have dificulty walking.  after this the right foot follow.  My father and brother who suffered the same PKD never had any symptoms like this.
Hi everyone,

this comment might throw some of you for a loop!

I'm 23 and have been actively seeking health for a few years now. i'm right at the line just above underweight. i was a gymnast for many years and now ive been doing yoga for about 7 years.

one year ago, while i was in mexico i fell down the stairs and landed on my tailbone. the impact was strong enough to knock me unconscious. when i woke up i couldnt see, hear or move my limbs. for about 15 minutes i thought i was paralyzed, until slowly all the sensations came back. nothing was broken, but i really smashed it and still have some pain today when i sit for too long.

my first 'tearing, ripping, numbness episode' started a few weeks after this injury and was only in my right wrist. it lasted a few months. i still havent regained full feeling.

now im out of the country again, this time in india! im having this same issue again but now its in my left thigh and can trigger if i take too large of a step, so its several times a day and i have to always be conscious of it. the pain and sensitivity (because it triggers with a smaller range of motion now) has grown over the last three days. i can't do yoga or walk very fast.

the weird thing is that over the 3 months i was in mexico i didn't get my menstrual cycle at all. now being in india for 3 months, once again the same situation.

so... because of my coccyx injury and the missing menstrual cycle... i think in my case it could be either hormonal or neurological.

before the injury and still today ive been experiencing small patches of numbness in my spine. i had a brain mri 1.5 years ago to rule out MS and everything came back fine.

ive never taken antiobiotics, never had chicken pox or shingles.
I've just started experiencing the tearing sensations in the last few weeks. I noticed it first in my left leg, just below the knee and down the left side of the shin. When I kneeled down i experienced something akin to kneeling on a pin cushion. At the same time I also noticed that if I straightened my left leg and pointed my foot and big toe, i would get the ripping sensation people have spoken of here. I honestly thought the skin was pulling of the nail of my big toe, but inspection showed nothing. With the knee, when I initially kneel on it I get the pin cushion sensation, but if I lift it up and kneel again, it disappears. Having diligently read most of the posts on here, it appears that Dr Ranes has pretty much nailed the answer. I am 49, and notice that the majority of the posts are from people around this age group. Also I have recently had a flare up of a sciatic nerve problem which I first experienced over 10 years ago. I am also aware that my posture can be poor, I work in an office and over the last year or so, spend a fair portion of my evenings with a laptop on my, yes you guessed it, lap!  I think all these things have been contributary and agree with Dr Ranes that the best remedies are more stretching and more awareness of bad posture. I see my chiroprator every 3 months for maintenance to my lower back area. Sadly, none of us can get away from the age thing and the lack of elasticity that it brings. I have noticed my symptoms lessening recently and hope this will continue. I must thank PSU Wayne for rasing this group and Dr Ranes for his/her invaluable comments. I now feel assured that I can treat this and that it may well subside.  
Are you, or have you ever taken statin drugs? If so, when and for how long in relation to the onset of these symptoms?
I have been fighting the symtoms from 40mgs of Lipitor and I had muscle aches, weakness, muscle cramps, and now burning tendon like feelings in my knee when bent, big toe when streched. I haven't seen the doctor yet to change my drug, but some say Ease a trol is my next try. I had these same weakness with 20mgs of Crestor. 10 mgs did not bother me.
I have the same thing in my right knee, this has only been going on for three weeks but that is three weeks to long. I had a mri and my results came back fine. Soo mad and wanted to know if you have found any more info to share. I am 35 Female   Thanks Tammie
I have the tearing burning sensation just below and to the outer aspect of my knees with some maybe slight swelling and numbness but no long term pain when I try to kneel.  Some times when I get up and start walking, I feel like my knees are not well connected for a second.  I too feel this could be related to taking statins.   I have been on Crestor this time for about 5 months and take CQ10 with it. The tearing sensations started about a month ago. I stopped taking 2 other statins for various knee and joint problems over the past 4 years.   I think more studies need to be done on statins and wonder how many who have posted these problems with tearing sensation are on them.
Crikey, one more to add to the list of sufferers here!  Sharp tearing pain just below and outside the right knee when under full compression.  No more kneeling down to get the children dressed for me!

40 yr old, male, competitive cyclist.  I generally train 6 days a week and mercifully, so far, this isn't affecting my cycling.  I mentioned it to my physio last week & he couldn't think of an obvious cause.

It started approx 1 month ago.  I *think* that it roughly coincides with some trauma to my lower back that meant I struggled to walk for three days.  That's the last time I heft a huge mattress up a steep flight of stairs!  The back pain went away after a few days, though it was really nasty while it lastest.  

A number of others on this thread have alluded to a possible connection with nerves around the lower back.  At the moment, my money's on that, although I do intend to see my doctor about it soon.  In the meantime, I'm avoiding any kind of full compression of my right knee, and have started some lumbar extension exercises to target the lower back.

Best of luck to all the fellow sufferers.  I'll post back here if anything changes.

Cheers.  Mark.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the numbness below & outside the right knee as well :-)
There are a lot of people posting here who are good candidates for Lyme Disease.  Lyme Disease is epidemic and terribly underdiagnosed in the US.  The CDC says there are probably about ten times the reported cases of 30,000.  At 300,000 cases a year, that's more than Breast Cancer!

Many many people go undiagnosed for years because doctors do not recognize the symptoms, and do not know that up to half of patients test negative on standard blood tests, especially if you've had antibiotics that were insufficient to kill all of the spirochetes.

There are dozens of possible symptoms, but in the US, muscle and joint pain are very common.  A classic feature of Lyme is that the symptoms seem to move around and/or come and go and/or vary in intensity.  Many people with Lyme are misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia, as every symptom of Fibro is on the Lyme symptom list.  Note: Fibromyalgia is not a disease, but rather a collection of symptoms with an unkown cause. Lyme is a known infection caused by a Borrelia spirochete.

This document contains a thorough symptom list.  It's designed for doctors, so you can skip the more technical parts.  
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Note: Lyme Disease is controversial.  Most doctors were taught that is is hard to get and easy to treat and that's it's identified by a rash and swollen knees. Many won't diagnose the disease unless you went to a hyper endemic area right before symptoms started, regardless of your symptoms and test results. Other doctors, called Lyme Literate Medical Doctors have become familiar with the many symptoms of the disease through experience and will treat you untill you are well. Most Infectious Disease doctors will tell you that a month's worth of oral antibiotics will cure you, and your remaining symptoms might fade with time, or that you have "post Lyme disease treatment syndrome" and they'll give you drugs for your chronic pain.  Do your research and choose wisely.
Same thing, it started in my left knee, Dr had nerve removed, then it moved to big toe lasted for months. Then moved to right knee and is now in the left hand index finger on the right side of the finger.
The burning, tearing sensation with numbness is constant. Have a Dr appt on monday for my hand, but I'm thinking of cancelling it,  just might be a waste of time. I have asprin at home.
@ Carla707 I have been suffering very similar symptoms, sudden onset of pain in my right knee and now in my right foot on the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals. I have had the herpes virus and this makes complete sense taking into consideration the type of pain caused, but it also feels like a nerve, tendon and bone problem with the additional problem of tense muscles.  I also have a lack of vitamin D which may be the cause but has not been completely diagnosed as yet.
Add another with same symptoms.  I get the described tearing/burning pain in my right hip when I bend over to my left side.  This started just a few days ago and then I noticed today it has spread to my right quad.  When I plant my right foot and step forward with my left foot like an over exaggerated "bigfoot" step it feels like my quad is going to snap.  What I don't understand is I have been running miles a day, going to football practice, and mma practice for the last 3 months and have only just now experienced the pain.  None of my activities cause the pain, only when I move my body in specific ways. I have had chicken pox but never shingles.  The only other thing I can add is I agree with the suspicion it may be lower back/nerve related because I had a lower back injury in the gym 3 years ago while doing squats.  Hope someone.e can find an answer.
Unbelievable!!  I'm amazed at how many people are experiencing the same issues and not one doctor can come up with a true diagnosis of this problem!  I, too, have had (and still have) issues with the tearing, burning, numb areas:  both hands, both knees, left shoulder, left elbow, left hip, lower back problems...the familiar set of issues.  I was found to be vitamin D deficient a couple of years ago and have been on high dose vitamin D since.  I have a ruptured disc L4-L5 that happened about 12 years ago.  I had chicken pox as a kid (40 or so years ago).  I've had MRI's done of both knees, left elbow and left ankle; all of which came back with issues, but nothing that explained the tearing, burning, numb stuff.  Some of the doctors I've seen say to completely immobilize the area until better (which I've done and it takes WEEKS to get back to close to normal) and I've seen some doctors that say that you should continue using the 'limb' to keep it from stiffening and worsening.  Unfortunately, continued use just keeps it hurting.  Sounds like someone should really start researching this very common issue and come up with a solution!!!  HOPEFULLY SOON!!  Good luck to all of you!!!
Thanks for this info about lyme disease. It is something I have wondered about. I will do some additional research.
I almost cried when I found this and started reading what you wrote back in 2007.  You nailed all of my symptoms.  I was so glad (that sounds strange...I don't want anyone to have this) other people have this same issue.  I am a 33 year old female and I have had issues since 2006....my right knee, then heel on outside of right foot, then they went away for about a year.  Then the heel started up again, top of my left foot between big toe and second toe, inside of left heel.  Right knee started up again.  I now have numb spots all ove the lower part of my body.  I have seen a podiatrist (Cortizone shots and varouis creams...nothing), orthopedist, neurologist....had MRI's, nerve study's....nothing....They just told me to see a physical therapist.  Now just this week my left elbow is starting for the first time and I am so fed up!!!!  I wish I had the answer, but I'm hopeful someone on here will find one...
I have Fibromyalgia. I also suffer from a tearing sensation along the right side of my index finger on my left hand. The area becomes numb and will remain numb for days to weeks at a time.
A couple tendons popped off the knee. Would ace bandages help them all work together and lessen the  tearing and pain? I take a lot of non narcotic pain stuff, anti inflammatory neuron tin cymbata and  others Had epidural but the tearing is worse than anything. I will put bengay on as it is distracting even.My legs compete in shrinking so I have been dieting so the weight of the trst of my body isnt overwhelming. They dont grow bigger once they shrink. I have lost
I have similar problems to yours. I have symmetrical inflammation of most tendons in my body: both knees (patella tendon & medial aspect), both elbows (medial & lateral), one shoulders, Achilles heel, lower and upper spine and tendons in my feet. I've been to many doctors of various specializations. I've taken antibiotics for three months. I've been on reumatholgical drugs for half of year: methotrexat, sulfosalazin, cyklosporin etc.. with no improvement. So far only NSAIDs help to manage the pain. My doctor says is autoimmune disease but I don't fit to any reumathological diseases because I don't have swollen joints, only inflamed tendons. As most of you I don't have a proper diagnosis and my health is getting worse. I'm trying change of diet now, no gluten, meat and diary, mostly veggies and fruits. Had little improvement but nothing spectacular. If some of you have some ideas about our state, please share.
A related discussion, PSUwayne was started.
Just found the list. Same story, tearing feeling when stretching a couple of fingers, followed by numbness.
Faded out of the fingers a couple years ago, but now my big toe is starting up.

I haven't been to a doctor about it, now I see it wouldn't have helped.

I once saw the "bodyworlds" show, and was interested to note that the nerves look like wires strung out to each extremity, via their own paths through bones etc.

I'm wondering if for some reason these are getting caught up and stretching out too much, which you would think would hurt like hell, and then cause numbness in the area that particular nerve is supposed to monitor..

Don't know how that idea helps or not..
I have a similar story and several suggestions for people to research; In my mid teens I started getting persistent toe pain and some stiffness that after a month or so moved up my legs to both my knees and not much later hips and then centralized in my low back.  One of the many Doctors diagnosed AS( Ankylosing Spondylitis) an inflammatory autoimmune disease involving the deterioration of the spinal Column among other joints in advanced stages however after over a year of tests and medication changes/combinations, it was confirmed I don't  have inflammation so that diagnosis was removed.  Fast forward, pain continues spreading to my upper back, hands, arms, neck and I also experience numbness, tingling, pins and needles. Numbness below mid shin and in my hands and   cold hands and feet, and I will feel pins and needles often in a hot shower in addition to tingling when I get too hot.  'sensitivity to direct light and heat or cold. '  On two occasions I have had spontaneous  numbness in my mouth the first time it was just the left half mainly in the tongue and check and lasted for a few days, a week or two later it happened again with my whole mouth. Other symptoms lnclude Gi problems.. nausea, dizziness, mental fog and excessive fatigue The pain has been widespread severe and almost constant, as others have mentioned it is almost 'random' and I agree but for me at least it is also linked to movement and especially over use. It is often in and around joints like hips, shoulders, and arms/hands, knees also affecting muscles and tendons. Currently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and chronic pain. Fibromyalgia is in the autoimmune family, it's a chronic widespread pain 'syndrome' technically since like many other autoimmune diseases there is no definitive test for it. That being said it can take a long time to get a diagnosis and even longer to get the most accurate one.
I should also note that my sister, first cousin, and grandmother all have similar conditions. Sister is currently diagnosed with systemic lupus  but hasn't had severe symptoms for a few years and has been able to continue working, grandma has fibromyalgia, and cousin has undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy, and recently diagnosed  with Rheumatoid arthritis and fibro and just finnished college.  Note, one or more of the diagnosis are likely wrong or will be replaced/added too. However I suggest everybody do reading on fibromyalgia and different trigger points also on some other related autoimmune diseases like inflammatory arthropathys.

I hope this information helps
Did you find out what was causing your problem because I'm having the exact same problem and don't know what it is. Thanks
My ripping and pain started on the side of my right knee when I was pregnant. After almost a year I have feeling there but now my other knee is having the problem and my left big toe and some other spots. Did you find out what this was?
Last year I was around 6 months pregnant and one night when getting into bed I felt this horrible ripping feeling on the side of my right knee in the skin that was excruciating and became numb. For several weeks I couldn't bend my knee because it would feel like something was ripping in it so I finally went to the doctor. He thought I had bursitis so he gave me a cortisone shot. After a few weeks the pain and ripping feeling went away but the numbness stayed. I would say it was numb with no pain for almost a year and finally started getting feeling there again. After I had my son I noticed that I had numbness on my outer right ankle (no pain) and the lower left center of my back. Now lately I bent my left big toe and had a little bit of that painful ripping feeling and numbness and the left side of my left knee is now numb. I have seen a lot of posts saying they had the same thing with me but I haven't see any real reasons for it. Does anyone know what this is? I went back to the doctor earlier this year and he thought it sounded odd and wondered if it is neuropathy and said if it gets worse he wants to check for that but really he was just guessing and only said that because my mom has neuropathy.
I would suggest that it's tendon inflamation that occurs for a number of reasons ... In time it settles down and disappears for years .... Then pops up for a few months and disappears again .... Doctors don't have a solution ... Heat or ice the area based on how you best respond to either and wait it out
A related discussion, Extreme random pain in calves or feet was started.

I am having pain in foot, calf muscles, hand and shoulders. They do not come at the same time. I also have blocked ducts. Were you able to find an answer to your problem? Pl mail me at ar_chitra***@****

Regards
Chitra
India
hi there
i have the same thing you are describing about your right knee but for me its in my left and the pain doesnt subside as quickly as you have described and when i kneel down my knee actually feels like its going to snap, altho last yr i was told by a doc that i had over strained my knee from walking up and down a flight of stairs too often and then the pain was only when i went up the stairs as now its only when my knee is at its most bent (feet touching bum) ie crouching or kneeling
from neko
Having just returned from my GP who prescribed codine I thought I'd try my own research.  I have the exact same problem on kneeling (I can run without issue) but in both knees.  I have the same in both elbows and since friday across the bottom of my pelvic bone.  I told GP it felt like the tendons were going to rip!  He chose to mask it with pain relief!  I'm going to look into it further myself and visit a chiropractor.
I'm a 45 yr old male; active/athlete; began experiencing the same "skin ripping sensation" on the outside of my leg just below the left knee.  I does not impact running, jumping, ect.; however, if the leg is bent at a certain angle, it is excruciating -- especially if something is rubbing on it while bent. Like many here have described, it has a local numbness on the direct site of where the pain occurs, but I've noticed that if I rub/bump/brush the opposite side of the knee/leg, it also triggers the painful burning sensation... which leads me to believe it has to be nerve related.  I have experienced a similar sensation in years past in my wrist and shin, but always subsided -- was typically painful when I'm drying off with a towel.  

Hope some medical professional eventually comes up on line to help us all figure this thing out!

- KTP45
I am only 22 and are dealing with pain and a sense of peeling/ tearing pain in both knees this will happen every day as I kneel down my job requires that type of movement . But I will get the pain as described by all of you and then the knee goes numb if someone finds something out please share .
Relief to know it's not just me.  Tearing pain on the top of right hand and left foot when moved to certain positions, followed by numbness.  Doc thought it might be a soft tissue injury but was somewhat nonplussed.
One interesting point, I played golf 4 weeks ago (for the first time in 3 years) and while the pain in the hand was present as I played a shot, it gradually reduced and has not reoccurred (yet).  I am not very good at golf so it got 99 shots-worth of "physio".
Maybe repeated incidents (while very painful) help clear the issue?
Hoping someone will post a diagnosis!
Wow, I have the same thing as most everyone here, started with my knee about 2 years ago, the numbness  did recently go away, and the pain doesn't happen in the knee, (although I try not to kneel anymore).   But now my hand, between the index and middle finger has the tearing/burning pain followed by numbness...when it was my knee, I could avoid bending it that far most of the time, but my hand is different.  It happens just from holding things or moving in a certain way.  It is very sad to see that people have been posting to this for for SEVEN years with no answers.  My doctor actually told me not to bend my knee so far that it hurt....wasn't that a Groucho Marx joke?
I just came down with this symptom myself a week ago -- intense tearing/burning sensation occasionally when bending knee like ripping off a scab or tearing open a wound, such that I want to check for blood --  I had been treating it as runners knee, with lots of stretching and it seems to help, but the good doctors explanation certainly aligns very well with what I have been feeling!  The stretched nerve prognosis sounds right because there is no other physical manifestation, just the unexplained tearing sensation.

I do run lots (hence why I was drawn to runners knee) but I sit at work and have some bad habits with how I rest my leg sometimes, especially driving.  I will fix these and hopefully gain some healing over time or at least keep it from getting worse.

Thanks for maintaining this thread and all those that have contributed so those that need to can find out more!  It has given me peace of mind although I understand any treatment will be very gradual.  I wish this condition had a name but at least I know whats going on.
Found this board some time ago and bookmarked it. I return to post since I think I have found something of an answer. I had the ripping burning in the outside and top of my left foot last year. The pain subsided but it was followed by numbness which I still have. Now my left thumb from the knuckle to the base. There is a specialty of some chiropractics now called ART or Advanced Release Technique. Somewhere there is a nerve entrapment in soft tissue. Inflammation, adhesion, trauma, lesions can be relieved with stretching.
Just starting to get some relief, I think. Google Brian Abelson, he has uploaded pages of videos of "nerve flossing" techniques to free up nerve entrapments
For me the most frequent pain occurs in my knees and most often when i exert force; ie motion through standing up or sitting down, walking up steps, getting out of my car. Also when exercising; jumping, sqauting, leg press, or leg extension. The feeling i experience is a 'ripping' or 'tearing' sensation across the front of my knees which results in a sharp pain that is followed by tingling or numbness. I sometimes get this feeling, although not as often, in my hands, arms, shins, and top of my feet with the most painful being in my knees. I'm 27 years old and I have been experiencing some of the symptoms everyone has mentioned above for over 10 years now. At first, I thought it was due to my height (6 ft 7 in) and that I hadn't grown into my body yet. Then I played collegiate sports (football), yet still the issue persisted. I simply wrote the issue off thinking it was probably a result of muscle growth and attributed it to the fact i had yet to grow into my frame. Here I am over 10 years later still having the same issues.

The issues mentioned in this thread are the closest symptoms I have found relating to what I've been experiencing. I'm young so I'm hopeful there's a resolve for this, but a little worried as this thread has been going strong for 7 years. Please post a reply if you hear anything!

-Brandon
I realize this thread is about 6 years old and a doctor came on and gave an explanation. Over the last couple weeks I have experienced a very painful burning/stretching sensation in the top of my right hand. It feels like every single tendon is being stretched in the top of my hand. This happens when I stretch out to reach for something or I bend my hand.

3 weeks prior I was sitting down at the head of a bed in a hotel room and stretched my right arm out on the top of the head board and wow did it hurt. Felt like someone was applying a torch to he top of my hand.

Now it returns about once every other day when I reach out for something. I'm not a doctor but I believe I just overstretched and with my ever increasing age (an active 48) and the inevitable body breakdowns as you get older I just keep re-injuring it.

I am concerned (which is the reason I googled this symptom and wound up here) that it might be something different like a circulatory issue or some sort of degenerative issue but obviously hoping it isn't.

Just my 2 cents.
I've found this thread after finally going to my doctor about a tearing-skin sensation in my knee(s), and now my elbow, also got something going on with my hip girdle.  All been happening off and on for maybe 15 years or so.

I've put 2 and 2 together thinking that this has GOT to be some sort of muscular attachment to the skeleton issue, but as stated in several places on here, aside from REAL pain when (say) kneeling on the affected area it doesn't affect my joints or movement etc. and generally doesn't casue me any problems whatsoever.  

I have to avoid the over stretching of the area for several months and then it goes, but back to the reason for coming on here is that my doctor is baffled and called it MUPS (Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms), well whoopie doo doc thanks for that!  

If I ever, or any others on here, find out what it is we need to let the medical world know.....as I'm not sure what it is they actually do?  I don't go to the docs very often, and this recent experience demonstrates why, no real attempt to diagnose my problem when there is obviously something amiss.  How many ads are there on the TV expressing the need to catch things early?  Feels like a waste of time hence why I am resorting to the internet, a poor state of affairs.
I have had shingles at a young age, I am 52 now. I have been diagnosed
With fybro, RA (then told years later I had no signs of RA, didn't realize it went away) I too have tearing, burning, numbness in various places over the years.  Never associated shingles..... Interesting concept.
I have tried probably all the "rubs" out there and Bio Freeze was the best.... until I recently found "Fast Relief" from Plexus.  Not because I am selling this, but because I truely believe it works am I posting this for you. I have suffered from Fybro for over 25 years and have all the aches and pains of it as well as the tearing and burning from whatever causes it. I am not pushing it, only relaying that is works for me even on the tearing and burning. If you want to look at my website, feel free.

http://carrierussell.myplexusproducts.com/

look under products and you will find "Fast Relief"  All natural.
this is where mine is too. lower front and side of my right calf, and it radiates down to my ankle. I am in agony if I try to walk at a decent pace for more than a minute or two. Feels like someone is ripping the muscle right out of my body.
I am having the same issue. I didn't see anyone post the likely cause or diagnosis.  My situation is left knee, tearing/ripping sensation in front, just below knee cap sometime when bending my leg - especially when raising my leg and bending concurrently, like when I get into bed or into my car.

Mine can happen just by touching the skin and it sets it off.  But usually it is when I am raising my leg and bending my knee.

It goes kind of numb too for a while afterward.  It is only my left knee.  Been going on for 2-3 months now.

My situation:
- 49 yrs old white male; 185 lbs; 5'8"
- Very active physically - work out 5 days per week and work in yard a lot
- Just slightly overweight - lots of muscle but have a small innertube around my middle
- 40 mg simvastatin daily for cholesterol
- 1/2 ML Testosterone Cypriate weekly for Low-T
- 1/2 mg Anastrazole daily to counteract the Estrogen that can result from synthetic testosterone
- Take Vitamin D pill - 1 per week - 50,000 something
I have the same symptoms its is in my hands now and my right knee and has moved over the years as it has come and gone.  sometimes in my feet.  It seems to be getting worse with each bout and lasting longer I am going on 8 months straight. cannot believe that no one can figure this out.
I have a very painful burning and tearing sensation in my hands around my knuckles when I stretch or make a fist.  Sometimes it is in my feet as well around my heels.  It has also moved into my right knee lately.  I had it once a few years ago and it went way after a few months.  It has been 8 months and it is getting worse and my doc has not been much help.  I am a former marine and am very used to pain but am becoming concerned because it is getting to be intense pain.
I am in the exact same boat becoming more painful as well.
Get the western blot test for lyme.  I have lyme and I have all of the symptoms everyone has on this post. Go to ilads.org for more information and take it seriously.  Most people are misdiagnosed and treated for something else when it is lyme the entire time.  I never had the bullseye.  Thankfully, I went to the right doctor after 4 months of pain.  Good luck everyone.  Anytime there is something "unexplained", get tested for lyme.