Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Upper Abdominal Pain - Soreness - Normal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I hope you guys can help me! My upper abdomen just above my belly button is very swollen. I look like I've gained five pounds, but the area is tight to the touch, not jiggly fat. It hurts to the touch. It hurts to move side to side very suddenly. I have to gingerly stand up or move my sleeping position. Now and then I have sharp pains. Or a very tight knot that moves slowly over hours from the right of my belly button, up and over to the left.

I've been like this now for three days. But it's not the first time I've had this pain this month. So looking at the human body, and the path of my pain, I figure it's my colon. I am not nauseous, but I do lose my appetite from time to time.

Now my bowel habits have always been sllooow. Every three days was 'normal' for me. But even though I am usually slow, I know I've been constipated this month. From going every four to five days, or having dry and hard poop. There hasn't been any blood. But um, sometimes it's shaped like an L.

Is the extreme soreness and upper abdominal bloating normal for constipation? Is it serious? Should I be running to a doctor now? Or is it something I can heal on my own? And what relationship does this have with my last stomach symptom?

Over a month ago I made a trip to the doctor. Not only was I constipated but my stomach was burning like mad. At that time I told the doctor I had two distinct pains. The burning below my rib cage and the soreness above my belly button. But she was only concerned about the burning. All the doctor did was push on my belly, and told me I had gastritis. No other examination was made. Even though she wasn't certainly sure, she quickly prescribed me a $200 medication. I walked out of there feeling I wasted my time, and money. And I did.

For one I couldn't afford the medication. And when I did online research, those who took the medication suffered from a host of other stomach problems. Of which she never discussed over with me. So I went the natural route.

Two, my symptoms didn't match gastritis. But they matched perfectly with duodenal peptic ulcer instead. So I assumed that was what I had, and that's how I went about with my natural treatment.

My ulcer healed up relatively quickly with natural remedies. Within three weeks I had no problem eating salsa and oranges! Since I was already constipated, I'm glad I never took the medication.

My point is, I don't want to visit the doctor unless I absolutely have to!  I don't want to take medications unless it's the only way to save my life. I much prefer natural remedies.

Though my ulcer went away, my constipation never did. I tried to research what these two have in common. And the best I've come up with is lack of water can cause both. But are there other things that can cause both? PS, I had a horrible experience taking a laxative, so I never want to go that route again.

Anyways, I'm sorry to bother you with a long post, but I thought I'd give you as much information as possible. What do you think is causing my extreme soreness? And if my colon is inflamed, what does this mean? Can I still eat regular food? Or is my poor colon too sore to handle certain foods?

What should I be eating? Doing?

Thank you for your time! (and please someone fix health care!)
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Chronic constipation can be due to diet poor in roughage or fiber and also due to dehydration. Diabetes and hypothyroidism, colon disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, diverticular diseases, cancers, severe acidity etc can all cause constipation.  Constipation can cause many symptoms like abdominal discomfort, bloating of abdomen, nausea, fatigue, and poor appetite. Many gall bladder problems too can cause nausea and poor appetite and fullness of stomach.
The other possibility is that you have a peri-umbilical hernia. If the intestinal contents get trapped, then it is possible to have constipation.
A proper investigation is required preferably by a gastroenterologist (a doctor who looks after the digestive system) to know what is the cause. The treatment will follow correct diagnosis. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!