Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Upper Arm Pain mid arm between the elbow and shoulder

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 801-895 comments:
Well, add another name to the long list of arm pain sufferers. This has been plaguing me for several weeks now. It's gotten progressively worse. I went to my GP who said "bursitis" gave me ibuprofen and ordered an X-ray, which I didn't do. I knew there was no injury. After the ibuprofen didn't do a thing I tried this antique "magic mud", Antiphlogistine stuff I had. It's a poultice that's supposed to draw out inflammation. It did seem to help for awhile. I was about to cave in and get the X-ray when I found this blog. Seems everything is a waste of time and money. The pain pills I have don't even take away all the pain.

After reading above I did try the massage suggested from the neck to the shoulder. I found I had two very tender spots. One next to the cervical spine and another in the lower shoulder. It really helped a lot but then something happened. I got painful swelling and heat in those two spots. That night I iced them down and they're better now. That night I woke with the worst pain so far in my left arm. So yesterday I took pain pills and kept heat on my arm. It's better again. We will see what happens today but I am sick of this. Normally I'm very healthy and active. This is putting me down and depressed.

I got this iPad for Christmas and have just been addicted to it. Is that the culprit?  It does "add up". I've really been limiting myself now. Who would have thought?
I have done so many google searches in regards to this pain that I have and as many I thought that I was alone. It started off gradually, and finally gotten to the point that my husband took me to the ER. They, of course, did a x-ray and could see nothing wrong, so they sent me off with a script for a pain killer and back to work. Although the pain killers did help me get through the day at work, my pain in my shoulder has only gotten worse and now jolts down to my elbow, now to the point that I freeze up in pain. I've read so many posts talking about a vitamin D deficiency, to pressure points, to every thing else. Nothing has helped me thus far, and I don't have a vitamin deficiency. So now, I'm at a loss and no idea what to do next ... any suggestions ?
This may sound weird and unconventional but I go to a holistic dr and have the same pain.  He said it is from my diet.  So I started taking sugar out of my diet (no artificial anything) and absolutely no white sugar and the pain is subsiding and several other ailments I have been living with for years seem to be going away also.  My pain was in the front of my shoulder (not the joint) but the muscles and moved down the upper part of my arm. I certainly don't know if this is your problem too but it is making a world of difference to my issues.  
So good to hear I am not alone. I have been suffering with the same pain few weeks. First in right arm than it began to move to my neck and left arm. Went to doctor after blood work he told me I had thyroid problem. Told me it was symptom of the under active  thyroid. Three days on meds for thyroid. Pain in arms still very bad. it is the worst at night. Hopefully it will help.  Can't sleep either. Just curious are all you people you suffer from this women? Will let you know if it works.
The same thought crossed my mind while my pain is in both arms it is more severe in my right arm and right part of my neck. I use my right arm for the iPad.
i have the same symtoms (symptoms) as most people on this site .. i am 48 years old and have been a furniture removal man for over 10 years and prior to that a coal roundsman .. the trouble first startedaround  3 months ago ... every morning i woke up with my arm and hand feeling numb ( i thought i had been lying on my right arm when i was sleeping ? ...more recently the numbness has stopped and i just wake up in pain ...i was told by a trackside doctor that i had a repetive strain injury - tennis elbow ... my right shoulder is also sore and when my arm is outstreached i have no power to squeeze anything with myright  hand the pain is a dull ache untill i try to use my hand to do anything and it becomes a shooting pain ...any ideas guys ..any help would  be appreciated ..
Get an MRI done.

I'm a 59 yo male.

For several months pain, numbness, sometimes pins and needles always the left arm.. not always the same spot in my arm.. mornings are the worst.. Finally had an MRI done and found a collapsed disc in my neck.. C6-C7

Just knowing what it is, was a huge relief.. I'm doing PT now, it helps some. Maybe a cortisone shot in my neck soon, and if it continues to interfere with my lifestyle I have to be operated on .

Not the best situation, but better to know than to imagine the worst
can you tell me what brand you purchased?  I see several different and prices

cervical traction unit
I have suffered left arm pain between my shoulder and elbow for about 3 years now.  I am a 55 year old woman who slouches on the sofa with my laptop way too much.  I don't stretch or exercise so this makes sense.  I will start stretching now and hope that it's not too late to make a difference. It certainly can't hurt.  
The pain is now starting in, the same area, of my right arm, not happy about that!  I've also been experiencing burning sensations, itching and crawling sensations all over, from head to toe.  Neuropathy?  I was worried about MS, but had an MRI and not showing any lesions.  I had no idea that this pain in my arm, all these years was nerve pain!  It makes sense now because sometimes the pain is not so bad, but other times it can be extremely painful.  I thought I had hurt it somehow and blamed it on old age.  I have a hard time holding a baby without a pillow under my arm, and changing my clothes at night and in the morning is the absolute worst!  I'm going to start stretching and strengthening.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll share results.  
Thank you. Just tried this and it works, practically immediately. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Just reading this in desperation as I am so fed up of the pain in my upper arms and shoulders. I am 42 and have had this for 6 months. Nothing showed up on blood testes apart from slightly low in vitamin D. I am on medication for that, they have given me muscle relaxants that made me feel ill and sleepy and didn't help at all. No pain relief helps. I can't sleep, I can't undo my bra and it hurts to get dressed/undressed. If my little boy pulls on my arm i'm in agony. I'm just so frustrated and nobody seems to know what to do next :-(
My right outside arm just below shoulder at night feels like a knife is scraping the bone, Pain from one to ten is a 20 with occasional finger tingling and numbness along with the forearm rock hard. I've been to many doctors who with out any tests say there's nothing they can pin point but an excuse to get pain meds. WRONG. This all takes place while laying down to sleep and not after being up and on the move even though I have had 2 neck MRI's that say bone spurring, narrowing of spinal canal disc degeneration and arthritic changes. But with all that I'm told my arms don't show anything to be causing my type of arm pain. I was once told by a doctor that you only get treated as good as your insurance is and due to being unable to hold employment I only have Medicade might be my reason to why. Please give thoughts or advice. Thanks to all and I hope you all get the help and relief you need and deserve.
Please look up and read about CRPS. complex regional pain syndrome then try and get your doctor to do a whole cervical MRI. I hope you find help and get relief. Good luck
I have exactly the same symptoms....pain in the bone, can be excruciating at night and  virtually un-noticeable during the day even a few minutes after waking. Came on about 8/9 weeks ago... no change in habits or aware of any trauma that could have caused it. Xray of shoulder was clear. I've read every post and discussed with my quack. She dismissed Carpal Tunnel,Rotator Cuff, Vitamin D3 deficiency, Bursitis, Frozen Shoulder,Callific Tendonitis, Brachial Plexus Neuritis, Cervical Radiculopathy, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Radial nerve  and the use of a Cervical Traction Unit. After examination and giving resistance to raising my left arm she diagnosed a problem where the Deltoid muscle joins the arm bone between shoulder and elbow and given me Shoulder mobilising and strengthening excercises to do for a few weeks and recommended  taking Ibuprofen before bed and for pain relief during the night paracetamol so I can get some sleep. If no change I will be referred to a muscular skeletal specialist.
it is coming from the brain....as crazy as it sounds. I have it in both arms and have had for a few years now. Believe me i'e tryed everything. This is gona probably be a little hard for most to get your head around but do the research and the dots will join up. Google haarp frequencies effects on nerves in shoulders/arms. This is fact and is happening all around the globe

I landed on your website because my mom has what you have. But it comes and goes based on how much she raises her arms. Three weeks ago she moved a washing machine by herself and now she is in agony. I have worked for very reputable chiropractors and holistic doctors, one who is known globally. Google Dr. Datis Kharrazian in Carlsbad, California, USA. Get in touch with his office.
Rub the tendons on the back of your neck for a good 3 minutes. This saved me so much pain. I wished I would had discovered it years ago
Massaging gently the scalene muscles, then massaging deeply my neck tendons for a few minutes did incredible things for me. The pain slowly decreased, and I did it every day, and switched to a clean diet, and now I only need to rub and stretch once ever few days, and I feel amazing.
Most of our pains stem from the neck/spine! Massage your scalene muscles gently, and then your neck tendons firmly. Three minutes for three times a day. It literally fixed me. I shout it from the rooftops now lol
I have the same pain. 44 year old stay at home mom registered nurse. Recently I went on a liver detox through my naturopath and the pain went away in a week. (I didn't even tell her about the arm pain- I just thought I had been sleeping on my right side too much). Some supplements and eating only veggies, limited meat, and a little fruit. No potatoes, bell peppers... (Paleo autoimmune diet). She said stay away from toxic people. Well one visit from a special family member and back to standard American diet with a slight sugar binge and now the pain is worse than ever. (Thank you to those that mentioned sugar- I may not have put it together.) I think the pain comes from inflammation of the nerves- which diet can cause, and those of us typing on a tablet probably aggravate it. Also computer mouse too. I will try pt, massage, yoga too.
Good luck to all- you are not alone. Thank you for the posts.
I too suffer from this excruciating pain in my upper right arm.  I'm thinking it's stemming from work and reaching up for the keyboard and mouse a min of 8 hours a day.  I've BEEN taking Vitamin D3 for a few years for lower Vitamin D3 levels (totally unrelated) and can tell you first hand, I've started suffering while I've been taking, so it's doubtful in my opinion taking Vitamin will offer little to no help what so ever, but I wish people luck if it does for them.  This pain is unbearable and *****, I wouldn't wish on anyone.
I have been suffering from pain in my right arm for almost 9 months and has been having physio but not helping at all. Am relieved that I am not alone in this suffering and I try the neck exercise. I am in the caring profession and I do not spend a lot of time using computers but perhaps it is more the strain i put on my muscles which has all built up through the years. My xray and mri results showed nothing. My physio is thinkingof referring me to a ortho consultant for further test.
Senga
I've just started have these pains but they only hurt me at night. I'm a stay at home mom so I know it's not a work related issue. Can anyone give advice?
I KNOW the PAIN your DESCRIBE and I do not SELL MSM!  

This information and RELIEF of pain came from a BODY BUILDER after I suffered 24/7 for 4 years of pain from right side of body, fingers to right side of neck, arm muscles spasms endlessly 24 hours a day!  I tried acupuncture, VIOX, huge needles shoved into the palm of my hand (it was 2.5 inches thick) writing was now impossible.  I was told to use MSM in tablet form.  2 capsules in the morning, 2 capsules at bedtime (use 3 times a day if needed).  RESEARCH this product that is mostly sulphur.  YOUR BODY will tell YOU how much you need by the reduction of pain.  My body took 6 months until ALL the pain was GONE.  I was hit by a truck, so I have Deep Tissue damage that will be with me for the rest of my life.  I take MSM as needed.  I hadn't taken it for a long time and I now have the same debilitating pain on the top of my right hand, muscles (or tendons) in right arm between elbow and shoulder - pain has travelled up my right shoulder (bursitis area) and into my neck.  At the time of diagnosis after the truck hit me, I was told I had TENOSINOVITIS.  Inflammation is basically the issue.  Look at your diet.  Are you eating break, dairy or other foods that CAUSE inflammation in YOUR body?  My pain is worse when I try to sleep.  I am once again taking the MSM and rubbing TIGER BALM on the skin location of pain.  You can also grind the MSM and mix with any cheap lotion and the pain will subside by osmosis.  If you want faster results, ask for DMSO (oil that smells fishy) but works.  This product was discovered by the Health Sciences Dept. at the University of Oregeon.  They were trying to discover another method of pain treatment via OSMOSIS for Cancer patients, other than by needles.  DMSO was discovered, but because it smells fishy, further testing was done.

RESEARCH MSM or look for the book, "The Miracle of MSM."  Hope this is helpful for some.  MSM is good for any type of INFLAMMATORY DISEASES.
I am 21 and am having the same symptoms. It hurts so bad I am not sure what to do. I go to the cyropractor but that doesnt seem to help right now with the pain.  
I had this problem 2 weeks ago every time I sat at the computer I would get this throbbing ache most people on here have been describing,was okay when not at the PC,but gradually become more frequent even through the night,and especially driving the car,about 5 days ago was unloading a bag of very heavy shopping  from the car and for some reason decided to carry it to the house with my painful arm  (Left one, and distance of about 100ft),went indoors put shopping down and realised the pain had gone! Tried to work out why and could only think that the heavy weight pulling down on my arm and because it was so heavy and been leaning away from it,This I assumed had stretched something between my elbow and spine.After a hour or so pain came back so loaded heavy duty shopping bag to similar weight as the one I had carried,and walked roun the living room few times with it.pain went away.Had the pain slighltly through the night so got up and repeated this excersise.did this 3 times a day for about 3 days,pain has now completely gone,but don't sit at the PC anymore I use my laptop on the sofa and lean back.
Avatar n tn
My mother went through all of this for over a year! Numerous rheumatologists and doctors along the way. Drove 2 hours to see a Lyme literate research MD in NY. Treating her symptoms of Lyme even though she tested negative on blood work. Most doctors will downplay Lymes Bc most are not informed of the late stages Lymes disease truley has on your body! Upper arm pain down to the wrists, worse at night and early morning until she got going. Was diagnosed with osteoarthritis, PMR, fibromyalgia... You name it she was treated for it. Only markers that were elevated in bloodwork was her CRP and sed rate..please Google upper arm pain and late stage Lyme disease!!! There's a small community of doctors and forums that agree people will think you're all going crazy but you are not!! For answers DanielCameronMD.com..watch his videos and research...
I am 43 and I have tgecsame pain day and night it feels like someone has punched both my arms it hurts when I reach out my car window at a fast food place I can't figure out what is causing this I could use any ones help please
me too
Avatar n tn
I also have almost word for word what you are experiencing. I have just started trying to figure out what is going on with my arm. Talked to my doctor and he said it could be the nerve that lies just below the muscle
Avatar n tn
I have the same feeling in my arm. Ortho says frozen shoulder and I have had 2 cortisone shots. The first was more in the shoulder area, and the 2nd was more at top of arm in the shoulder. Neither seemed to help. MRI of shoulder showed nothing. I go back for recheck in a few days, but can't imagine what's left to do, since I've spent weeks doing PT as well with 2 different therapist. If you find something that works, let me know please! Good luck
Thank you so much for your post about Atorvastatin.  I had tried several things for the increasingly painful ache in both my upper arms, but nothing worked.  Then I read your post.  I, too, was taking Atorvastatin at night.  I switched it to morning and it has made all the difference in the world.  I am now sleeping well at night with no pain!  Thank you!
Sounds like what I'm dealing with !  Recently I started to apply pressure to the area with my finger tips ... It hurts but no pain .. No gain ... Right ?   So the next day I noticed the swelling go down and less painful ....  I'm going to continue to apply pressure to the areas ... Use cold/ heat therapy ... Stay away from all GMO Foods .... Avoid sugar .... I think it might be inflammation .... Not sure but applying pressure is working !
So are u still taking Atorvastatin? I take it also and have for about 5 months at night. I was on Pravastatin. Last nite this pain started under my left upper arm into my elbow and it's on my shoulder blade in back.
Hi. I've been to the ER and they find nothing so I took the meds they gave me and it made things worse. I still have the pain in my right forearm. I apply bengay before I go to sleep, in the am and this has helped me with the pain. Have someone massage your neck, shoulder and than apply it to your arm where the pain is and it works. I bought bengay extra strength and so far this is the only thing that helps me sleep and throughout the day.
April last year I got sick because of Influneza. After that I felt  pain with my both  arms. between the shoulder and elbow. First I ignore it.Then after 3 mos. I Went to a doctor for check up. beacuse it getting worse I can´t lift up .i can´t reach my bra, and the worse is if I wear my jacket it is very pain..My right arm is worse   than the left arm.My doctor gave me a 500 grm.  tablets.I take it 2xd..after 2 week  nothing happened. I Always felt pain specially at night.and I can´t sleep either  after 1 month I  went  agin to my doctor. he gave me a Voltaren gel but  the pain is not subside. I talk to a professional trainer, he said that   my muscles have a problem. He teach me what  I suppose  to do with my muscle pain..I exercise  3x everyday.but . I still felt pain. I stayed at home for a 1 month. but there is no difference. I think its getting worse..as usual  I back to work..I did 4 sesseion with Laser therapy but the pain is not subside. I talk to my trainor. he sent me to a doctor for Cortison injection.. I got 1 shot cortison on my shoulder.. I did not felt so much pain now on my shoulder. but  I still have muscle pain on my both arms. next week  I have time to my trainor. and to another doctor.. I need an XRY or  MRI. I want try an Acupuncture or Pressopuncture. Im affraid of surgery..
I'm so glad to see this thread so I know I'm not crazy! I share the same symptoms as you and several others on here.   I did have pain in both upper arms; now it's only in the left, and it's getting worse.  After I started taking serrapeptase, the right arm is completely normal now.   However the left upper arm, which started with a dull overall ache, has now changed to stronger pain that radiates up into my shoulder/neck area and down into my forearm area sometimes.  The worst pain is still in the upper arm, but sometimes now it also wraps all around to the underside of my upper arm.   Night time is the worst.
FYI, the only prescription medication I’m on is for low thyroid.  Ibuprofen definitely takes the edge off my pain, but I don’t want to be on that every single day and ruin my liver!
Finally I have found someone else that is going through what I am going through. Monday I go to the Pain Management Dr & hoping for some relief because the pain sleeping from side to side is so hard to at night. plus putting on my clothes ugh it feels like my muscles are twisting up that I have to rub it until the pain pass. Everything that you had describe I am going through the same symptoms but it seems to be spreading to my lower arms also near my hands . But when the weather is cold or rainy it is at it's worst some times. But if you find out what it is please tell me . Because I am telling family & friends about thins they think I am faking this. I need a diagnose..
Avatar n tn
https://youtu.be/hKXxlyYpH4w
What worked for you?
I am suffering from the same thing but do not have access to good healthcare. Has anyone tried chiropractic? I cannot try it at this time because I am out of work but have wondered if it may help. I cannot sleep with my spouse in the same bed because I need to lay my arms out to get any sleep. I have had this for years! Thanks so much.
I was just going to suggest an MRI of the cervical spine.  Could be a pinched nerve due to changes in the spine.  Similar to sciatica but in the arm due to the location on the spine.  (Neck)
Like so many have said, finally I find I am not alone!  I think this is a blessing in disguise, as it is making me re-evaluate my diet and (lack of) exercise and stretching.  Am getting a massage this Friday, so I'll discuss what I'm experiencing with her.  Thank you, all, for your comments
I  have found help with this same problem at http://www.sportnetdoc.com/arm-upper/rupture-of-the-muscle-on-the-back-of-the-upper-arm   I have followed the stretches Hope this helps someone else Good luck!
Update went back to chiropractor today after two weeks. The first time of going to him i was very tight and protective of my shoulder  it could not be adjusted But today after two weeks of stretches and working it we came to find out my shoulder was dislocated so he reset it hurt VERY BADLY Have absolutely NO idea how i did this to myself.So what was thought to be a ruptured M. triceps brachii was a dislocated shoulder. Best to always find out from a medical professional and could save you a lot of worry and pain.
The cause of the pain might be due to sleeping and hands behind the head
release your hands while sleeping and you will be fine after few nights
Let me know if that works with you
:)
Hi all . . . in 2002, I endured '6 weeks' of relentless, excruciating pain in my right arm & shoulder blade, day AND night.
GPs, physios, orthopaedic surgeons, and acupuncture gave me no answers nor relief.  'Very' strong painkillers did not help.  I lost 12kg in weight, had dark circles under my eyes through lack of sleep, and started losing strength in that arm.
I ended up in ED one night in agony, before an MRI of my neck 'finally' showed spinal cord compression.  I had bony overgrowth of a vertebrae and a partially slipped disc in my neck.  Immediately after a 5 hour operation, THAT pain was gone - after 6 weeks - I hope NEVER again.
I had NO pain in my neck at any stage.
Something for you all to consider if you've not found answers re your particular pain.  Good luck.  Karen
I also have the same pain you have described & have had Neurologists check out nerve endings etc to no avail. Pain meds are just a cover up as well as Advil. I too spend a lot of time using a wireless mouse & have noticed that my  upper arms esp the right is aggravated by that, however, it seems like it has been worse at night. In fact the pain keeps me awake. If you find anything that helps I'd love to hear from you. Thanks & good luck..Diane
I'm sorry, I looked for your original comment that described your pain, but I couldn't find it, so, just on the topic of a chiropractor:

I had a pain mid-arm between the shoulder & elbow, the best way to describe it was like the bone was broken & it was off-set, like bone hitting or grinding on bone, BAD pain, hurt to use it at all no matter what position it was in, hurt every night & day, made sleeping almost impossible.

I saw my chiro, & it took about two adjustments, but it helped 100%.  I also wound up with some pain in my chest (probably from holding that arm funny) & he was able to give me some stretches for that, too, & it's totally gone now, too.  It did come back about 6 months after, I made a chiro appt, right away & that time it only took ONE adjustment.  I've been without that pain for months now.  I'm sorry, I don't remember what term he called it, but I think it's very much worth mentioning it; the right chiro will feel around, make some arm movements, & at the very least, attempt an adjustment & maybe offer you some stretches (although they DO have to be done regularly, if they help the pain, it's worth it).  The right chiro will even work on any knots you may have there, too.

For the last two months straight I've had knots all through my left arm from my elbow on down, & my chiro has been diligently trying to work them out, but he says it's like gravel, or traffic bumps in there, just one after another, & they won't go away, so he thinks it's time for a doctor appt. so they can scan it.  It hurts so bad that sometimes, I have to move my arm with my other hand, and the pain can get pretty severe, it wakes me up at night & changes my daily activities.  I want to see a doctor, but I'm not sure my current one will be effective, so it might have to wait until I find another doctor.
I have this to. It started in my right arm now it is in both doctor said I have 2 frozen shoulders. I have had this for 6 months painkillers and anti inflammatory drugs. Did you get a diagnisus
Ask your physician if an angiogram is warranted to see if it is due to an blockage if the pain is noticable due to activities like you experience after going up and down the stairs.  Insist on it as the simple x-ray will not reveal the problem and it may go undetected until you have a heart attack.
I am 67 and have had this pain on my RIGHT arm - around the elbow joint and some time at my biceps - for about four months. The pain seem to be progressively getting worse. The pain is more intense at night as I rarely feel it when I am up and about. My physician wants me to do an X-ray, see a Therapist and take some pain killers but I haven't done any of  that. Two things that give me temporary relief so far are:

1) Exercise. Running and push ups give me relief.

2) I cut the end of some long socks that I have and wear it on the arm. It giver me instant relief, especially at night.

I have read somewhere which says that pain in the hand is related to cancer, liver problems etc.  
Hi there Im going through this pain aswell have been for several months now and feel like ripping my arm off its that painful. Has anyone been to a&e as I want to go but dont want to waste the time but I think its best I do ? - please respond back to me with (Ollie) cheers
I  have this pain as well...both arms and worse at night
OMG I feel as if you just wrote my story.  Though my pain was off n on for 7 years and the last 12 months it's 24/7 in eat about 6 ibuprofen every 5-6 hours and and in that 5th hour the pain starts creeping back in and withing 10 mins after its a 20 out 1-10.   NOBODY GETS IT.   This is ruining my life and don't what to do as every Doctor says the same things.  It's most likelynndacyr@************ from my arthritis that I do have in my hands .   See I have severe arthritis in my hands and I know the difference.   This is NOT ARTHRITIS.    Sometimes I feel like it's inside my bone marrow it's so deep.   It's not nerve pain .   Please help.
Hi Bernadette,I just read your comment on this page. Has the pain in your upper arm improved. Sounds exactly the same symptons that I have. I am going to try cut out my sugar, I have far to much sugar and I know it is not good, but till now has been difficult to cut out. I am focused now am seriously going to try achieve my goal to stop all sugar. I have the pain in my right upper arm between elbow and shoulder
I have been dealing with this pain for over a year.  This week I was asked to come see a vascular./neurology Der. next week. I have has carpal tunnel surgery on both hands with little or no relief...went to an orthopedic surgeon who thought I might have a  problem with the rotator cuffs. A cortisone shot gave me some relief but short lived. The new Dr, said he knows what I have is thoracic outlet syndrome and is recommending surgery. He also said this syndrome is aggravated by using the computer. I will discuss my options further with him next week.  You might want to be checked for this syndrome.  I am in terrible pain as well and am losing all my strength in my arms.  Hope we all get an answer soon
Plz refer to my comment..  Ask to be checked for thoracic outlet syndrome
ask to be  checked for thoracic outlet syndrome
Have your dr check you for thoracic outlet syndrome. I just found I have it on both sides. I will see the surgeon next wed. He did say all the computer uses is aggravating the condition and the disease  is on the rise
Have your dr check for thoracic outlet syndrome.  I was just diagnosed after over a year of dealing with this pain.. See the surgeon wed
I have finally found my  answer.   I have a very severe case of bilateral thoracic outlet syndrome. We will discuss treatment next week.  Don't give up my friends. My pain is bad but actually got some rest last night sleeping in my lazyboy.   Gl and hope you all get answers too!!
Ask to be checked for thoracic outlet syndrome. I was diagnosed this week and you are right...the pain is excrutiating especially at night.. Plz keep me informed and GL
I've only read a few responses here but what many of you are describing sounds to me like Triggerpoint pain referred down from the scalenes muscles in your neck.... I would suggest you find yourself a highly recommended Remedial massage therapist with Trigger point qualifications
I tried the scalene massage and that helped a bit.  What I was finally diagnosed with was frozen shoulder.  I did PT with the first one which is basically pushing it through range of motion.
When I got the second case of frozen shoulder I knew what to do.  There are examples under Frozen Shoulder Exercises
I hope people find relief.  There is nothing like this pain.  It feels like something is broken ripping.  
Why haven't you had an MRI? That is probably what you need. Are you seeing a good orthopedic surgeon? Good luck.
I also wonder if being on the computer too much could contribute to this pain that everyone seems to have.  Frozen shoulder is insidious, one day you can't lift your arm to brush your teeth.  It is so slow, people don't even realize it is happening.
Good luck to everyone
i have 42 years my right arm is sore inside its been 2weeks now
i would to know what is rong to my arm
Neck impingement can cause pain in arms, how do you sleep, when you do? Are you hunching up your shoulders? If so the neck can start to get pinched nerves, sending pain to your arm.
I am wondering if it is my tablet use! I must do something else. I don't know if I can live without it!
I believe if we sleep with our shoulders up by our ears, we get pinched nerves. I found out mine is from using my tablet too much plus the way I sleep!
I believe most of this is sleep neck posture AND using tablets.I have it as well.
I have the same problem I used ice hot on my shoulder and I take mobic for the pain it really helps
Avatar n tn
I have the same symptoms. My right arm (upper) has a unbearable pain. Specially at night and sleeping is very difficult.  It just started about 3 weeks ago. I just work up with my shoulder muscle and right are tight.   The doctor thinks it is muscle spasm. Had several different pain killers.  I don't like to take pain killers as I have a hard time going to work and concentration on my daily tasks.
Went to see the Chiropractor and he think that I have a pinch nerve.
He aligned my neck bone and applied electric pulse. so far no change on my pain. Also my index finger is sort of numb. Please if someone found a good treatment that we dont have to take pain medication, please post.   I will update my status next time.  Thank you all.
Avatar n tn
I had it too and it was horrible. The pain was epic. Both of my shoulders locked up. Everyone said it was frozen shoulders, but no physical therapies worked. Xrays and ultrasounds showed nothing. Blood tests showed nothing. Finally, a radiologist told me that my shoulders were not frozen. That did not explain the pain and why I could not lift my arms, but it did help me to feel like someone understood. HERE'S WHAT HELPED: High doses of acyclovir (the medicine for shingles and cold sores) stopped the pain immediately. After nine months, I tried manual lymphatic drainage and after ONE time I could lift my arms above my head. I discovered both of these things myself and doctors were very resistant. I have also discovered that the underlying problem for me is Addison's Disease. If you want information on how I got Acyclovir and what dosage worked, my email is .
I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency too. That's not it. It's shingles without a rash. You need high-dose acyclovir. I 100% promise you it will work. My pain stopped. In my case, the illness had progressed to point that I could not lift my arms. This persisted even after the acyclovir. It turned out it was because of lymph blockage. After nine months of being unable to use my arms, I had just one Vodder method manual lymphatic drainage massage and overnight was able to lift my arms above my head. See a certified professional.
Is it worse at night? Feel all over your body very carefully, especially your upper arms where the pain is. Do you have any lumps?
It's shingles without a rash. You need high-dose acyclovir. I 100% promise you it will work. My pain stopped almost immediately. In my case, the illness had progressed to point that I could not lift my arms. This persisted even after the acyclovir. It turned out it was because of lymph blockage. After nine months of being unable to use my arms, I had just one Vodder method manual lymphatic drainage massage and overnight was able to lift my arms above my head. See a certified professional. I was also diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency and that was not it. Feel free to email me. .
Just browse about frozen exercise : and find the one that's  fit for you: Its really help me a lot  gain control of my arm without any more drugs.
I have had a similar experience last year.  It seemed to start after my flu vaccination.  I've had them for years, but this year my arm where I had the shot was sore for weeks.  Then it started to get worse in my arms while working above my head.  I work in a bowling center as I have for the last 40 plus years.  All of a sudden it seemed as if someone flipped a switch and the pain started.  I tried  to see my regular doctor. but he was booked up for a month,  So I went to the walk-in clinic to get checked out.  She immediately thought I sounded like I had some pneumonia.  So after three chest x-rays and a ct scan over a months time the arm pain was put on the back burner,  After about three months later we started working on the arm pain.  One of my older customer and friends told me he had similar problem years ago.  He had a hard time closing his car door with his left arm.  His doctor gave him a large injection of prednizone and he was playing golf the next week.  A month later after seeing my regular doctor, he suggested I see a neurologist.  Well he checked me out and suggested trying Prednizone intraveiniously over three days in large doses.  It definitely has made a difference, but I wonder if it would have been better months earlier.  I still have my suspicions about the flu vaccination starting this.  I still get the pain in my biceps when I lie down.  I am also on arthritis pain medication.  Your story reminded me of my own.
What is this?  I have this EXACT same thing.  It is scaring me.  I am a 60 year old female.  This started a few weeks ago and the pain is about all i can handle.  Now it is in my left side as well.  Please, if you have information?  
I have exact same thing. My index finger numb. Been told about pinched nerve in cervical spine c-7. Not going to chiro yet. Too afraid he may make it worse
Avatar n tn
Trigger points, probably subscapularis.. massage therapist who does  trigger point work
Viewing 801-895 comments: