Upper Arm Pain mid arm between the elbow and shoulder
I have been looking everywhere for an answer, maybe someone here can.

About 1 year ago I began having pain in my right upper arm, between the shoulder and elbow, about mid arm where the biceps brachii muscle or brachialis muscle is.
I went to my Primary Physician who said it was a torn brachialis muscle.  Since I was working at a 2nd job, I thought it might be job related so I went through the whole Workman's Comp issue.  They sent me to 4 doctors who did nothing for me, finally the case was settled and my lawyer got most of the money, but I still have the pain.  It is an extreme ache down to the bone, that is unbearable at night.  Even with pain medicine and sleep aides, I get about 2-3 hours a night.  Finally, I went back to my own doctor and asked if he could help me, he said yes.  He sent me for an MRI, and then to an Orthopedic Surgeon.  The Surgeon said the MRI revealed a cyst inside the humerus bone about 1 cm by 5 mm, that would have to be "watched" to see if it grows, if it does, it could weaken the bone, and the slightest mishap could break the bone.  However, he said it could NOT be causing me so much pain.  He checked out my arm and noticed a hard soft tissue knot, and suggested removing it through surgery and it "might" relieve my pain.  So, 3 weeks ago I had the said surgery and it was removed (a hard soft tissue mass about the size of a marble).  No, this was not the cyst inside my humerus bone.  Anyways, I still have the pain, and it is extremely terrible at night (on a scale of 1 to 10, a 20 at night).  I even have the same pain, in the same place, in my left arm, but to a much lesser degree (maybe a 5-7 at night, but bearable).  I have tried many unsuccessful web searches, trying to find something that might lead me to an answer for what this is, so here I am grasping at cyber straws.  I have this incredible pain, that is extremely painful at night, no idea what it is, therefore  no idea how to cure it.  Please, if you have any ideas of where to research, I am definitely open and also AWAKE.  Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation in this matter, I deeply appreciate it.
I have finally found my  answer.   I have a very severe case of bilateral thoracic outlet syndrome. We will discuss treatment next week.  Don't give up my friends. My pain is bad but actually got some rest last night sleeping in my lazyboy.   Gl and hope you all get answers too!!
Ask to be checked for thoracic outlet syndrome. I was diagnosed this week and you are right...the pain is excrutiating especially at night.. Plz keep me informed and GL
I've only read a few responses here but what many of you are describing sounds to me like Triggerpoint pain referred down from the scalenes muscles in your neck.... I would suggest you find yourself a highly recommended Remedial massage therapist with Trigger point qualifications
I tried the scalene massage and that helped a bit.  What I was finally diagnosed with was frozen shoulder.  I did PT with the first one which is basically pushing it through range of motion.
When I got the second case of frozen shoulder I knew what to do.  There are examples under Frozen Shoulder Exercises
I hope people find relief.  There is nothing like this pain.  It feels like something is broken ripping.  
Why haven't you had an MRI? That is probably what you need. Are you seeing a good orthopedic surgeon? Good luck.
I also wonder if being on the computer too much could contribute to this pain that everyone seems to have.  Frozen shoulder is insidious, one day you can't lift your arm to brush your teeth.  It is so slow, people don't even realize it is happening.
Good luck to everyone
i have 42 years my right arm is sore inside its been 2weeks now
i would to know what is rong to my arm
Neck impingement can cause pain in arms, how do you sleep, when you do? Are you hunching up your shoulders? If so the neck can start to get pinched nerves, sending pain to your arm.
I am wondering if it is my tablet use! I must do something else. I don't know if I can live without it!
I believe if we sleep with our shoulders up by our ears, we get pinched nerves. I found out mine is from using my tablet too much plus the way I sleep!
I believe most of this is sleep neck posture AND using tablets.I have it as well.
I have the same problem I used ice hot on my shoulder and I take mobic for the pain it really helps
I have the same symptoms. My right arm (upper) has a unbearable pain. Specially at night and sleeping is very difficult.  It just started about 3 weeks ago. I just work up with my shoulder muscle and right are tight.   The doctor thinks it is muscle spasm. Had several different pain killers.  I don't like to take pain killers as I have a hard time going to work and concentration on my daily tasks.
Went to see the Chiropractor and he think that I have a pinch nerve.
He aligned my neck bone and applied electric pulse. so far no change on my pain. Also my index finger is sort of numb. Please if someone found a good treatment that we dont have to take pain medication, please post.   I will update my status next time.  Thank you all.
Just browse about frozen exercise : and find the one that's  fit for you: Its really help me a lot  gain control of my arm without any more drugs.
I have exact same thing. My index finger numb. Been told about pinched nerve in cervical spine c-7. Not going to chiro yet. Too afraid he may make it worse
I had it too and it was horrible. The pain was epic. Both of my shoulders locked up. Everyone said it was frozen shoulders, but no physical therapies worked. Xrays and ultrasounds showed nothing. Blood tests showed nothing. Finally, a radiologist told me that my shoulders were not frozen. That did not explain the pain and why I could not lift my arms, but it did help me to feel like someone understood. HERE'S WHAT HELPED: High doses of acyclovir (the medicine for shingles and cold sores) stopped the pain immediately. After nine months, I tried manual lymphatic drainage and after ONE time I could lift my arms above my head. I discovered both of these things myself and doctors were very resistant. I have also discovered that the underlying problem for me is Addison's Disease. If you want information on how I got Acyclovir and what dosage worked, my email is .
how did you get acyclovir and what dosage I should get
I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency too. That's not it. It's shingles without a rash. You need high-dose acyclovir. I 100% promise you it will work. My pain stopped. In my case, the illness had progressed to point that I could not lift my arms. This persisted even after the acyclovir. It turned out it was because of lymph blockage. After nine months of being unable to use my arms, I had just one Vodder method manual lymphatic drainage massage and overnight was able to lift my arms above my head. See a certified professional.
Is it worse at night? Feel all over your body very carefully, especially your upper arms where the pain is. Do you have any lumps?
It's shingles without a rash. You need high-dose acyclovir. I 100% promise you it will work. My pain stopped almost immediately. In my case, the illness had progressed to point that I could not lift my arms. This persisted even after the acyclovir. It turned out it was because of lymph blockage. After nine months of being unable to use my arms, I had just one Vodder method manual lymphatic drainage massage and overnight was able to lift my arms above my head. See a certified professional. I was also diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency and that was not it. Feel free to email me. .
I have had a similar experience last year.  It seemed to start after my flu vaccination.  I've had them for years, but this year my arm where I had the shot was sore for weeks.  Then it started to get worse in my arms while working above my head.  I work in a bowling center as I have for the last 40 plus years.  All of a sudden it seemed as if someone flipped a switch and the pain started.  I tried  to see my regular doctor. but he was booked up for a month,  So I went to the walk-in clinic to get checked out.  She immediately thought I sounded like I had some pneumonia.  So after three chest x-rays and a ct scan over a months time the arm pain was put on the back burner,  After about three months later we started working on the arm pain.  One of my older customer and friends told me he had similar problem years ago.  He had a hard time closing his car door with his left arm.  His doctor gave him a large injection of prednizone and he was playing golf the next week.  A month later after seeing my regular doctor, he suggested I see a neurologist.  Well he checked me out and suggested trying Prednizone intraveiniously over three days in large doses.  It definitely has made a difference, but I wonder if it would have been better months earlier.  I still have my suspicions about the flu vaccination starting this.  I still get the pain in my biceps when I lie down.  I am also on arthritis pain medication.  Your story reminded me of my own.
What is this?  I have this EXACT same thing.  It is scaring me.  I am a 60 year old female.  This started a few weeks ago and the pain is about all i can handle.  Now it is in my left side as well.  Please, if you have information?  
Trigger points, probably subscapularis.. massage therapist who does  trigger point work
I have had this same pain for around 7 years following a broken elbow. Dread being hugged and sit up late rather than lay on it. So painful. I take naproxen which give a bit of relief for a bit. Doesn't stop it altogether though
HI, I'm having the achy right upper arm feeling. I seen your post and was wondering what it is that you tired and worked. Thank you :-) it's been a while since this post but I figured I would give it a shot.
I've having the pain between the shoulder and the elbow that most people describe here. Unbearable pain! I discovered that I tend to rest my arms on my head when I watch t.v., when I'm at work reading on the computer, when I'm having a longer informal conversation, or when I sleep, etc. I also noticed that in that position my arms did not hurt as much. So, I thought that maybe such position was irritating my arm's tendons. I have been very aware of the position of my arms since, and avoided resting them on my head. The pain has subsided noticeably. I'm not out of the woods, but it has certainly helped quite a bit. I can move my arms, get dressed, etc without much discomfort so far.  I've been doing this for 1 week only, so let's see what happens in the days to come.

So, if you rest your arms on your head, a lot, try not doing so. You'll be surprised about how much you tend to be in this position, and you may also be surprised about the advantage of not doing it.
I cannot believe I just read this. The exact same thing is happening to me. Although, I have  I cannot believe I just read this. The exact same thing is happening to me.  I am scheduled for an x-ray tomorrow. However, no one should have to deal with this excruciating pain in the mid section of an arm.  I am at my wits end. But I will be going to see a specialist sometime this week and definitely have an MRI.  I have a very stressful job. I noticed that you said you have two jobs. Maybe this is something that is stress related. But the pain is so excruciating that I can't sleep at night either. And I am normally very good at dealing with pain. Someone please help us!  It is my right arm between my elbow and my shoulder. The soft/hard tissue mass seems to move.
What did you find out from the xray cause im having the exact same problem as you guys.
I don't have an answer but I do have the same pain. I also work two jobs. I have alot of stress. I woke up Wednesday morning and my arm was aching and I made it through the day, but it it 3:15am Thursday and the pain is unbearable. I will be going to the doctor in the morning. Help me please.....
If you have pain, especially a deep severe aching, from shoulder to elbow you should get an MRI. Xrays never showed my rotator cuff disease. It's like the worst "tooth ace" pain in your upper arm until you want to cry!.
My husband has the same pain in both arms. I am thinking it is most likely thoracic outlet syndrome, where the nerves exiting the vertebrae in the neck are pinched (osteo stenosis, or muscle tightness can do this) and causing nerve pain. He needs a neck x ray to begin with analyzed by an orthopedic doc who can assess whether you have muscle tightness leading to pinched nerves down the arms, or narrowing of the necks's vertebral openings through which the nerves pass to the arms. There's also a simple test for thoracic outlet syndrome that any doc can do in office - checking the pulse in the wrist with hand by your side and then as the arm is lifted (pinching the brachial plexus). If the pulse stops in the upward position it's indicative of thoracic outlet syndrome.
I'm experiencing a sharp shooting pain in my right arm between the shoulder and elbow but closer to the elbow. It is by far the scariest feeling because the pain is very sharp and intense and it just hits me without any warning. I've never experience any pain like this before. Please advise.
All I know is when that started in my right arm I had MRI & found rotator cuff disease. Now I have
in left arm, too. It starts in my shoulder, goes to the elbow, and my arm aches like a very bad toothache!
I too am having the same issue with both of my arms...the pain is so bad that i cannot sleep on neither side. I wake up in the middle of the night unable to move my arms. Or even in the mornings when i get up for work. My job requires me to lift things and the pain make it worse on me. I don't know what to do anymomre. Dr wants me to gonto vascular surgeon say abi is not normal may have blockage in arteries. But i don't think that has anything to do with the deep down pain that goes all the way to the bone. Someone please help...if you have found out what it is.
Hi i recently had a seizure 2 weeks ago and my children had to situate me on the bed after I fell.  I started out with mild shoulder and neck pain but it has been increasing as the days go buy. Raising my arm up high actually gives some relief but it increases depending on the position I am in. I have not been able to read all the post but if anyone has any suggestions for relief please let me know. I have not been able to return to work due to the pain. TIA
I have an answer!! I went to a physiotherapist and he told me it was a result of years of bad posture! He gave me exercises to do and how I am pain free! I urge you to try it! I suffered 3 years with the pain and finally I can move on!
I highly recommend seeking a chiropractor, this sounds more like a nerve issue and you could have swelling in your brachial plexus. A chiropractor can manipulate muscles and nerves and at times relieve a great deal of pain! Good luck!
The problem may be that you and your doctor are focusing on the arm and not that shoulder. There is a condition called "frozen shoulder" or adhesive capsulitis, which feels exactly like what you describe. I have had it twice. It feels like it is in the arm, but it is actually caused by the shoulder. It is extremely painful and you will lose all use of that arm if you don't do some physical therapy with the shoulder to break up the adhesions there. Have you lost the range of movement in that arm? Unable to scratch your back like you can with the other arm? Lie on the floor and move your arm in a big circle like a hand on a clock. Does the shoulder catch or crunch? Are there some positions that hurt, especially with the arm over your head and close to the floor? It takes 1-3 years to heal. The longer you let it go the longer it will take. You have to do range of motion exercises to force your shoulder to break the adhesions. (Yes, through the pain.) Also, I was not able to heal mine until I made myself sleep on my back with my arms down every night. This made a huge difference. It allows the correct blood flow to the shoulder. Best of luck!
I started having the exact same arm pain first in my right arm then a couple months later in my left arm.  I thought I tore my bicept in half it hurt so bad.  I was already getting acupuncture for other things so started having needles done on my right arm.  When they really didn't have an effect I went to my reg dr. and he ordered an xray to be done of both arms.  They didn't see anything on the xrays but something funny in the left arm so he ordered an mri.  After the mri  I went to a specialist who told me I had shoulder impingements.  The bursa sac in my shoulders where inflamed and they were also pinching the nerves running down my arms.  They told me it was caused by sleeping on my side.  They told me to do pt to help.  I went twice and what they had me doing hurt worse than the arm pain and I have slept on my side my entire life so it didn't just start hurting at age 57.  I did however get invisiline braces 2 years ago so my jaw was changed quickly.  My acupuncturist and I both believe that this has led to the shoulder movements.  I now go to a doctor of osteopathy and my right arm is feeling much better.  My left arm is still giving me fits but not as bad.  I get needles in it probably every 3-4 weeks and then the dr of osteo works on it once a month.  I don't take anything for pain.  If it really hurts I use ice for 20 minutes then off for 20 then on for 20 and take otc pain reliever.  I haven't had to do this for months so I am hoping I am on the road to recovery with the left arm like the right arm is.  Hooking my bra is the worst and I saw someone else say reaching out the car window, yes that hurts still.  I can feel the bursa sacs and the fluid in them.  I also will hold down on the points that hurt until the pain subsides.  I don't rub I kinda push through it.  Hope this helps.  I highly suggest acupuncture, but please find a medically trained acupuncturist.
I have had the EXACT same symptoms for approximately 2 years now...not only is it extremely painful at night while lying down trying to sleep, but it basically aches most of the the time and sometimes makes it impossible to bend my arms back or up to reach for something...the docs wouldn't send me for an MRI and I too, cannot find any answers on the web.....
I cannot believe IBut  am reading all these comments that many of them I could have written ver batum.
My right arm pain started about 4 months ago, and has been with me nearly every day since.  I went to chiro and he told me it was tendonitis. Told me to use ice on for 20, off for 20, yada yada....but I started losing strength in my arm and now, since I have started "favoring" it, and lifting, vacuuming, etc with my left arm, the bicep is beginning to atrophy.  I swear, my right arm used to be the strong arm.  Now, looking in the mirror, it has definitely deflated and my left arm looks like I am a body builder in comparison.  THIS scares me.  I am to see my PCP in 3 weeks and am going to ask for MRI.  It's almost like my muscle has died.  And it KILLS me at night....
But....I really think it started with poor posture sitting in bed typing on my laptop.  But who knows?  I have considered trying to exercise it...ie, lifting things....wrong...only makes it hurt worse and depresses me because now I am afraid to pick up my grandbabies.  I am 61, female, and have always been in good physical shape. But now, my right arm, right bicep, right shoulder that I can hear crackling in the joint, has me really worried.  OTC pain meds don't help and even stronger ones don't help.  I just hope this can be diagnosed and I can get my strength built back up with no more pain.  The night pain is unbearable, but when I wake up, it's gone...but it comes back quickly after I get up.  I have read some very good things on this thread.  Going to write many of the various diagnoses down to read to my doctor.  Hurting RIGHT NOW as I type!  Good luck to us all with this annoying and frightening (to me) aillment!
I don't know if this is the best answer but I use Topricin every night to get sleep and have been taking black cherry juice Evey morning and the pain is getting less after a year of unbelievable pain!!!!My right arm was damaged at work and I went to using my left arm to do most anything but I would still use my right arm even though the pain would make me cry.I will try the exercise with full motion but I still use my left arm to even drink with my right arm. Try the Topricin it isn't cheap but it has been a life saver!!! I don't just back up anything unless it really works and it does and I can get some sleep. Make sure you do the arm and the shoulder. If you have gout or arthritis black cherry juice concentrate works wonders doctors don't want you to know but if it works you will know very fast that it is working. Thanks and I am going to sleep!!!
I have had the same pain between my shoulder and elbow for about a month and a half. First it was just my right arm but now its both. Just last week my lower arm muscles are in pain also. I can not lift my arms very high and some days its hard for me to even lift my coffee cup to my mouth. Any info on what this might be would be greatly appreciated!!
Hi I'm having this problem, and its so rubbish the pain is awful. But for me in 2 weeks it will be sorted. I am having my gallbladder taken out and the side effect of gallstones is upper arm pain. So it might be worth investigating this idea. Will check back after my op and let you know if it has sorted it, Fingers crossed.  Carrie.
I know it's only been a short time but did the pain in your arm go away after getting your gallbladder removed? My wife is having the same issue with her arm but also her gallbladder isn't functioning at 100%. I forget the number the gave her after the test.
I have the same in both arms - exactly the same areas in both arms for this 3 months - excruciating pain especially at night time disturbing my sleep  - did anyone find a prognosis or cure ?
I have the same problem having a steroid injection tomorrow, apparently it's something called an inflamed bursa
I will tell you what it is I just found mine last night.  check your elbows and if you have a mass in there it is probably scar tissue thing is mine radiates down my forearms like a broom and pushed my tissue up into my arm causing me to have ripples around my arm like an armband.  This has been going on for the past 40 years.  I too have lumps under my arms the tissues are tangled with the elbows growing out of place changing the alignment in our ENTIRE BODIES creating diamonds of connective tissue because it is being separated

I have been to 21 doctors the last 2 months hunting down my pain in my shoulders that are being pulled off the tendons but told it is in my head

********

The doctors have refused to examine me nor touch me.  When I say I have shoulder pain they should examine and palpitate the arms

We don't need more xrays we need our tissues imaged yet you say scar tissue/tissue/fascia and their eyes glaze over with stupidity

Damn right I am mad simple fixes yet lifelong problems with lazy rich doctors who think they are God whom are really Satan in disguise micro slowly killing us

What the hell are doctors studying these days????

NOTHING

Making a dollar off of us and refusing proper healthcare

We need a fully body scanning machine that indicated where we are locked up and printout appropriate doctors to choose from depending on the insurance you have

IT IS NOT THAT HARD

************/madscientist
It's because you are on the computer with your back hunch over in the same position it goes from your shoulder to your elbow and makes your fingers numb and it hurts really bad right if your on the computer everyday try and do this stand straight up and bend over and make your head touch your nees to stretch out and try not to sit in same position with your back hunch over so much and if it still hurts maybe you should lay off the computer for a while Hope this works for you it did for me it takes time but it work and I still stretch out so it won't come back thanks
Just lay off your computer for a couple of days and stand straight up and the bend over and with your head touching your knees so you stretch your back but you have to stretch everyday the reason it hurt is because your kneck and back are hunch over in the same position I hope this works for you it did for me and when your done stretching out your back stretch your kneck put your left arm straight out side ways and with your other are grab the side of your head and bring down on the right side so you stretch your kneck but start off easy it will work after a couple of days you should be able to sleep right after a few hours of stretching out and the pain will slowly go away but you have to stretch everyday okay let know if this helps you, cause it did for me ok.
I went to my chiropractor and he adjusted my first rib on the bad side where i was having pain.  Issue solved! He said that daily stretches after that should keep the rib in place so it does not affect any nerves.  Hope this helps.

********

NOTHING

IT IS NOT THAT HARD

fb/madscientist
Seems like there's a similar issue among many of us. My pain is in the left upper arm. The pain occurred after a hospital stay for a kidney stone which was two months ago. The other day my chiropractor provided some exercises to try at home and then suggested that if they didn'tt work to get a script from my doctor to see a physical therapist. However, today I had a massage and the therapist said that it's the tendons in my arm that seem to be really tight. She spent a lot of time massaging that area and suggested that I continue myself to loosen up the tight tendons. That has already helped A LOT!
Brachial Neuritis (Parsonage-Turner Syndrome) - Spine-Health

********

NOTHING

IT IS NOT THAT HARD

fb/madscientist
I had the same issue. Pain, weakness. In the arm and shoulder on the right and just the arm on the left. Mentioned it to my neurologist who suggested having blood work done. My primary had me tested for inflammation/autoimmune disease and referred me to a rheumatologist. Bloodwork did show some positive results. I was given a shot in the shoulder for the bursitis, which really helped, and given Celebrex for the osteoarthritis, which is what I was diagnosed with. Wear and tear. PT helps he said, especially swimming. Unfortunately, I was sleeping much better until a week ago. I don't know if I'm having a "spell" or injured my arm when I slipped on ice, but I see my rheumatologist today, so we'll see. Ask for bloodwork to be done! I wish you luck.  It's terrible getting by on naps.
I'm experiencing the same problem. Seriously aching pains I'm both arms. Originally started in my left right to the bone which was barely bearable & now it has travelled to my left shoulder & upper arm: unbearable. I'm kinda worried because I'm 17 & to be experiencing this sort of pain at this age could be a symptom of numerous of problems:(
THIS disease is not about the arm muscles but about nerves in the neck and brachial muscles

********

NOTHING

IT IS NOT THAT HARD

fb/madscientist
I have same thing, only in right arm...night is worse. Just been a few weeks, I'll let you know if my docs find something but I will say I have lupus and 5 other auto immunes.

********

NOTHING

IT IS NOT THAT HARD

************/madscientist

********

NOTHING

IT IS NOT THAT HARD

************/madscientist
Sounds like you have injured your alner nerve (not sure of spelling)in your arms. My mom had this same issue doctor after doctor couldn't figure it out chiropractor or physical therapy wasn't working. She finally seen a doctor the did an extensive nerve test and found she had injured the alner nerve and needed surgery to fix it after her surgery it is alot better. She was off work for a year on workmans comp because of all the pain. She had surgery on her alner nerve and it has helped her alot she was able to return to work she's a CNA so she uses her arms alot. Good luck hope this helps you all.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.