Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Upper Arm Pain mid arm between the elbow and shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 601-693 comments:
I have the same pain as you are experiencing. The pain in my right arm is worse than the left and if I hit a doorway with my arm or my hand hits something in my path, the pain is so devastating, I scream out and cry very hard. I have contacted a naturopathic doctor and will see if she can help me with this terrible situation. If I find out anything, I will let you know. Traditional doctors are useless here.
Obviously from the amount of input about pain in the humerus this condition is far from being an isolated case. I am astounded at the amount of people who suffer from this pain and how little information has identified the problem or given any relief. My doctor was very thorough after blood tests, x rays and exact radiology he has diagnosed an impingement syndrome in the shoulder even though the pain feels like a tooth ache in my humerus bone. It's not sore to touch and I have no lumps but a shot of steroid injection reduces inflammation for a period of time before it comes back within weeks. My left arm is far worse than my right. There's no tingling but getting dressed can be very painful since I have to raise my arms at an angle that causes pain. It takes time to get to sleep because I have it in both arms in the same place but the right side is not as bad so I sleep more on that side. I can tolerate the pain but it's hard to believe that so many people suffer from this and hardly anyone knows what causes it or how to treat it. Very strange.
Hi. I have the same exact pain, in my humerus, both arms, one worse than the other. Wakes me at night. I take IBU profin that seems to help....and a lot of hot yoga. I have read so much on this site and from what I see, people say it's Carpel Tunnel. I did read about a bone disease called Osteomyelosis, but it says, 2 in 10,000 get this Bacterium Bone Disease that is very dangerous and can eat your muscle away, but I highly doubt all of us have that, too many people have the same exact symptoms. I just want it gone. Im thinking of an xray, mri and blood test. Feel Better.
Did this work again, Im afraid my DR. will laugh at me.
omg, I have the same problem... shingles, never thought of that.... no rash, but everything u said, plus my neck lymph node is swallen also...  Would my Gyn or Thyroid docctor could look at it? I've only been to a MD one time, do I have to go to him more so? Did the meds help when u laid down...?? MJD
Thought I'm the only one having this problem it's been 3 months now and my arm is still in pain. I got this from constant using of my ipad. Just so sad.
were you able to get any relief from seeing the naturopathic doctor.?  I have had this upper arm pain for nearly a year. Physical therapy didn't help.  I was on a high dose anti inflammatory and that helped for a while, but it is back when I was out of pills.  And I don't want to constantly be taking them.
Anybody have any relief yet.  If it is frozen shoulder doesn't that go away on it's own after a period of time?
Just wondering if any of you fellow sufferers have tried acupuncture. I appreciate that this wouldn't cure either a frozen shoulder or rotator cuff tear but maybe it would help with relieving the pain.  It's not something I would like to try without a recommendation hence the question.
About 5 months ago, I wrote a post here and told you about my taking Vitamin D3. I'm now 99.9% pain free thanks to Vitamin D. I suggest you read the book "The Vitamin D Solution" by Dr  Michael F. Holick. He suggests we take 2,000 IU a day. It does't matter if you take 2,000 IU a day or 10,000 IU a week.

PS
I am unemployed and don't have insurance so I didn't see a doctor. I'm now glad I didn't.
I want to say this to most of the people here: "Just shut up and take 2000 IU of Vitamin D3 a day for 6 months and see what happens. Then write back and tell".
I had acupuncture Monday and it made it worse.  And this was done by a Chinese doctor that is excellent and cures my back pain all the time.
Since dropping all the devices are you back to normal. I have the same problem i am going to try to stay off all devices for a week to see if this is the culprit. out of no where i suddenly could not put on my jacket without
screaming out, reach without a yelp. I can't lift my arm out to the side or rotate my arm in certain ways.Can not get where it all came from i am a couch potato not at all active. i have pain in upper and forearm even twist pain other wise
i have been reading the upper arm pain and i am experiencing the same.  hurts at night and feels "heavy" when i turn over.  i cut fruit for a living and use my right hand/arm frequently and raise the arm to display on shelves above my head.  the pain doesn't hurt too much while working...hurts when i put on a shirt and tuck it in, reaching behind and twisting.  it all started when i spent 8 hours dipping caramel apples and holding them up while the stuff dripped off..it got heavier and heavier.  pain meds don't help, hot water in the shower does, but sometimes i wince in pain just reaching for my bottle of water.  haven't been to a dr yet, will prob go when it really goes out at work (as i am sure it happened there) and take plenty of vit d5000..thanks for reading!
My pain started in the bicep tricep area, I think, then I felt as if there were lumps in my arm.  Then one day I could not reach in front of me, it progressed over the next 5 months until I could no longer sleep at night, put a shirt on or a belt, could not reach behind my back or wash or brush my hair.  I finally went to an Orthopedic Doctor and found out I had frozen shoulder also called adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder
Collagen slowly builds up and ties your arm to your shoulder so that you can not raise your arm without your shoulder moving.  It is very insidious, you don't even realize you have it until one day you can't reach into your back pocket.  No one knows why people get it except that they are older and many have diabetes.

I had PT for 8 week to help break up the bands of collagen and now I am so much better.
I found an article that explains the stages, how it comes on slowly
http://www.moveforwardpt.com/symptomsconditionsdetail.aspx?cid=00661806-1fa0-4fc0-ba17-ea32751d7412#.UxhtRs47EbY
Thanks for sharing everyone. I have been battling with my arm and shoulder for over two years now. I realize exercise and rest when needed is the only way to avoid frozen shoulder.! A book called treat your own rotator cuff by Jim Johnson, PT helped me more than the actual PT appointments at the dr office. I believe acupuncture has helped but it takes 4 to 6 treatments to get true relieve. Ice helps to relieve inflammation pain before bed. The hardest thing is complete rest. I had to rest my arm for 4 weeks strait, it helped for months. The moment you over use it the Saga begins all over again!
Could you please describe what physical therapy helped? I mean like did they do some kind of massage or deep tissue work or ultra sound or laser or have you do exercises or what?
I am having the same problem. Will try this solution. Thanks!!
Went to the ER today with upper right arm pain. Many common factors with other bloggers. However, I am left-handed. Anyone else  left handed with right arm pain? I was given steroids, muscle relaxers, and pain killers which has helped dramatically. Will it help permanently? Next step is to see a specialist.
I am having exactly to same problem for months now.  Had an MRI on my neck and they found bulging disks. Going to the pain clinic next week but pain has been unbearable. I purchased some DMSO in roll on form from Amazon. It has helped me at least get use of my arm back in the meantime.  
Ive got arm pain had mri emg testsshowed nothing, my doc doesnt know whats wrong.....cant do my hair or shave my underarm, my husband has to help dressing me. If I reach out it becomes SO bad!...Started researching. found out about, myofascial pain sydrome, don't think its my problem, cause heat makes me worse. but might appy to some. going to have doc test for vit D, but going to try while waiting, my pain is going on for 7 months, tried pt but made it hurt more. I am SO tired from not sleeping through the night, I am at my wits end. but I am glad i'm not alone.
Hi there,i also have right upper arm pains,the pain is unbearable at times,today i went to my gp,he thinks it could be related to nerve damage,i told him the pain wakes me up at night.He as put me on Gabapentin  a pain killer,also im going for another x ray tomorrow.I also have arthritis in my neck and spine,i had a bone density scan,where discovered i have Osteopenia,which means im lacking in calcium,Not nice getting old .Anne.

I have found the cause of all these "Arm Pains". It is actually the "Hardening or Injury" of the tendons beside our neck.

Use the knuckle of your pointer finger to massage the muscle "1 finger width" from the neck vertebrae. You should experience some pain on the muscle or tendon. Press as hard as possible (bearable pain) on pain area and stroke up and down. Do it from the top (just below the bone of the head) to bottom (end at the shoulder). You should feel immediate relief of your arm pain.

Watch this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLtaaCd1Hs&index=5&list=PLBxQ0nLKmyOLRzJoOv-cZgqSoQOYsdYCm to learn how Dr. Chang massage the "Origin Points" of the neck.
I'm in my 6th month with pain in my left upper arm - exactly  the same as so many of you have stated.  It started for no reason I could think of except perhaps sleeping on it, or wearing my handbag across my body.  It started a few days after I had a flu shot.  Range of motion very limited, the most difficult part being curling my hair at the back.  As for clothing, the easiest way to take off my clothes is to bend forward,  put my  good hand over my head, and haul the clothing over my head the way men do (I'm female!).  The extreme pain at night eased off a few weeks ago - a hot water bottle was and still is so soothing.  I varied where I slept for quite a long time - my bed was the worst place to sleep.  Sofa was good, also sleeping on a quilt on TOP of my made-up bed - no sheet to tangle with, just a blanket, and my arm resting on the hot water bottle.  Also, Tylenol Nighttime I find is great for insomnia.  I gave up on babying the arm about 3 weeks ago, because that has always worked in the past with tendonitis, i.e. use it or lose it.  When I have my shower in the a.m. I run very hot water on that side and do some low arm swinging exercises at the same time.  A doctor at a walk-in clinic said it was bursitis, which I thought was odd because it seemed more like adhesive capsulitis or rotator cuff, which I had researched.  She reckoned it would be better in a week after a regime of Naproxen.  That didn't work.  Another doctor that I saw a few days ago thought  it was  adhesive capsulitis (as I did).  He sent me for an x-ray which subsequently showed that I had  osteoarthritis, that is, "mild degeneration of the AC joint" (where the clavicle meets the tip of the shoulder blade).  The other joint (glenohumeral) is "well-preserved", not a problem.  Nothing to do now but get the joint moving as much as I can.  I hope this account is somewhat helpful to other sufferers.
Hi, Please massage the muscle or tendon on your right side 1-finger width from the neck vertebrae.

See my reply to annipanni above.

You should feel some immediate relief after the massage.

Keep doing it for afew more times and you should feel beter and better.
Hi, I am sorry. Since your pain is on your left arm, therefore you should massage the left side of your neck.

Thank you - I will try that...
I TRY RUBBING MY NECK BUT IT SEEMS LIKE IT JUST DOESNT WORK IT GOT TO WHERE I CANT DRIVE (i can but it makes it worse) i had double by pass surgery 2 mths ago an sometimes the sharp pain goes in the right side of my chest ive tried heat an ice an a tens unit what else can i do
I have the same problem, pain in my upper right arm and limited movement for 3 months!

The doctor gave my Ibuprofen cream and suggested physio.  What an idiot!

I'm back to the Docs again on Friday, May 2nd, 2014, after 3 months of pain and sleepless nights; when it feels worse!

I for one will not let this rest.  I'm at War and need answers!

Will post on Friday May 2nd.

I have had the same problem with upper arm and shoulder muscle pain for months. Has anyone looked into the effect of statin drugs on the problem? I took Lipitor for 2 years and had the problem, so when I quit the pains went away. Now years later they are back. I take Red Yeast Rice supplement for my slightly high cholesterol and wonder if it has some of the same ingredients as statins. I use my computer, tablet and phone hours a day with my right hand, but it's my left upper arm muscle that's the most painful. I take 1000 units of Vit. D and will double it after reading posts. I'll check out the neck possibility next.
What a coincidence!  I went to the Dr yesterday saying that I wanted to come off Lipitor (20 mgs);  This is because of another problem I have (which I won't go into here) and I want to see if Lipitor is the culprit.  The doctor and I have agreed I will stay off Lipitor for a month to see if the condition will go away.  A month isn't a very long time for a trial, but still... The arm pain I have is on the mend now (going into the 7th month), so even if it does improve whilst I am Lipitor free, it won't be conclusive.
i have this, sometimes at night, the pain is 20/10 but not taking it as such big deal..

- Allopurinol 100 gave me a short relief.. eat two or three tablets..
- Put a pressure on your upper elbow, like belt or something just to make sure blood pressure to your left arm going only it's half
- Wait for tomorrow to feel the difference
I have same issues as you. The best I can find are essential oils: equal amounts of Chamomile, Helichrysum, Lavendar, Peppermint, Tree Tea, and Wintergreen rubbed onto sore areas. Its amazing and all natural.
I have had the same in my upper left arm & as you, it's the muscle. I had issues with my legs for the the 6 month , until 2 months ago, same thing had blood work , all good, X-Rays, clear. nothing over the shelf  for pain helps. I take herbs & vitamins,  nothing is working. I just bought a Tommy Copper full arm sleeve had it on for 2 days, not helping yet.  :(
Hi I have sore muscles of my upper arms and they are very weak...I don't use a laptop but I am on my iPhone a lot ...surfing Facebook and posting all the time and my neck gets very stiff.....this has been getting worse in the last few months...I have been under tremendous stress also...family problems and my mom just died ...her service was on cinco de mayo and then Mother's Day was the worse.... I was not allowed to her home after she passed....I'm thinking all of this is affecting my body in way I have never felt...what are your opinions ??? Thank you I have always been very healthy and I'm concerned...
My symptoms are exactly the same as yours, isn't it unbelievable that there are so many of us suffering and the doctors can't get it right. I've had this for over 9 months now, steadily getting worse. I'm type 2 diabetic , age 58, I've never felt anything like this before. I went to my Dr this week and had to force him to send me for an MRI scan as I cant deal with not sleeping, in constant pain and depressed with it all too.
Eventually, I got to see a Great Doctor.  Took a few months but...

Usually these symptoms (which are quite common) are due to a 'frozen shoulder' or and in my case 'shoulder impingement' these symptoms are treated via exercises or physio or in an extreme case, a mild operation.

Though I might add, this was diagnosed via an X-ray searching for Tendinitis, Osteoarthritis & Frozen Shoulder.

Hope this helps :
NB:
I might add also, that I was living and am living with unbearable pain for 6 months and sleeping was a nightmare.

So I can empathize with others that have suffered with the same symptoms.

I am also doing some exercises through documentation received from my doctor and due to start physio next week.

I actually feel better just knowing what the problem is :

Regards to you All

I know this is a long shot, but I know that personally my daughter, who has Celiac disease or gluten allergy, has had horrific joint pain after eating gluten (usually accidental ingestion of course). Her situation is completely normal as long as she completely eliminates wheat, rye, and barley gluten from her diet. I know that for me it has led to a damaged thyroid, and nerve calcification (cerebral and skeletal). I also have Celiac disease. Before you run out and get tested know that only half of the blood tests are accurate, that the only true test remains a small intestinal biopsy, but since it is only a dietary change, a test is irrelevant in this case, if it makes you feel better. This gluten is in everything, modified and hydrogenated starches, artificial everything (sweeteners, colors, and flavors), natural everything (sweeteners, colors, and flavors), all preservatives, textured vegetable protein, all camel coloring. Check your: lipstick, lip-balm, toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, soda, and even who you kiss.... The bottom line is that the allergy is a case of mistaken identity; your lymphocytes think that the gluten molecule is an invading virus, hence I like to say, how much of a virus would you be willing to lick until it affected your health... this allergy does cause nerve damage and they think that it may be directly related to fibromyalgea, and some other serious diseases and syndromes, that is why I am writing this....I really, really hope you find health and well-being <3 my heart gos out to you in sympathy <3.
I am just as relieved to know that there are sufferers like me.  I have this soreness in my upper left arm and it throbs during the night.  It is so hard to roll during the night.  I noticed this since January this year and so around March, I could not take it anymore and went to see a doctor.  It was injected with cortisone.  It helped for sometime and now it is back.  I have been taking 2000 i.u vitamin D for two years way before this happened and so I don't know if increasing the dosage would help.  I have osteo arthritis.  I have been going irregularly to the gym since January and now I am back.  The pain is still there.  Please keep posting whatever you are doing so I can learn.  Thanks.
I have had pain in my upper left arm for about 5 or 6 months now.  It came on out of nowhere.  No injury or anything.  Its between my elbow and shoulder, but doesn't hurt on the underside, only frontside hurts.  Its just a certain spot too, not the whole area. But its a big enough spot.  It is worse when my arm is still and that's the side I sleep on and I CANNOT sleep on that side anymore.  It hurts 10 times more to lay on it. When it first started it would come and go.....but now it hurts more often than not.  It's very very painful and feels like the pain is deep down in there if that makes any sense
what u described is how mine is!!!  did u ever find out anything?  this is driving me nuts.  now its constant and the pain just keeps getting worse!  
Also the pain feels like someone is hitting me in that spot with a sledgehammer!!!!!!!!!!  It also feels like someone is "frogging" me over and over and over in the same spot.  OTC's don't help at all....and ive tried all the creams too...nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Ive had pain in my upper left arm for about two months now.  I started using   a TENS machine ,  heat, massage and Advil every six hours.  Finally I feel improvement!!

okay, I happen to have one of those too, so I will try that!  Thanks for the info
Since a few months when I attempted to restrain my wife who was an invalid when she dropped to the ground suddenly.i suffered extreme pain in shoulder and upper arms and restriction of arm movements due to pain . It has been getting better although still hurts when put pressure on arms when sleeping sideways. Still hurts when I bicycle on my road bike due to low position of upper body and pressure on arms.
Did anybody here gave the advice to go to an acupuncture doctor?  to me it started of with the arm pain as here prescribed by so many. I also had a stiff neck. Then one day my whole body became stiff and I could not mover anymore.  An old neighbor  gave me the address of an acupuncture doctor.  I went and was patient enough to go for several  months, little by little my whole body became like it was before. He even healed everything else  that was wrong with me and I stayed that way till I moved to far away from him and I must say that not all acupuncturists are as good as he was.
That is how my arm feels, but sometimes my hand and arm feels like its asleep, it tingles and hurts so bad, even waking me up in the middle of the night. My Dr sent me for xrays, but says she doesn't see anything wrong, she wants me to go to physical therapy.  Moving my arm in certain positions hurts a lot and then the muscles tremor, or shake.  It doesn't make sense.
I have had the same problem as described for almost two years now.  I have had an xray and ultrasound.  The ultrasound showed now tears, but the xray showed a calcification in my shoulder.  The calcification shards can tear the tendons, etc when the should and arm are moved, thus causing the pain ... so it was explained to me.  Before my tests, I went to a PT.  We tried muscle strengthening, range of motion exercises, yoga, acupuncture and deep tissue massage (wow did that ever hurt!).  After my calcification diagnosis, I saw a second PT who tried shockwave treatment.  This is like a finger poking you repeatedly, like a jackhammer  (started at 3000 pokes) in the same spot.  It is supposed to break up the calcification.  We did six treatments, not a lot of improvement.  My third PT tried dry needling.  This is sort of like acupuncture, using the same needles, but aiming for trigger points.  The needles are inserted and jabbed about then removed.  This is supposed to freak out the muscle and get it to relax.  Well, as you may have guessed, I am still in a great deal of pain.  I have an appointment to see a surgeon next week.  I will try the Vit D idea though.  Thank you for sharing what worked for you.
there are many medical site of solder pain but it is different from other because It is discus with all the bone and joint pain, how it is starting, causes and how it is prevention for more information click here
shoulder pain
thanks.
There wasn't a link in your post.  Please try again and I will read it.  Thanks.
Okay people, most likely all of your arm pain is coming from your neck! Go to a chiropractor and get checked out. Medical doctors are not nearly as good at figuring this condition out. I had pain in my upper left arm for months. I had many tests, MRI, Ct Scan, blood work, meds, steroid shots, nothing made it go away.My friend insisted I go to her Chiropractor. He told me it is all coming from my neck. The discs in our necks get out of line and can cause the pain to radiate all the way to the fingers. Many doctors make a diagnosis of carpal tunnel, when it's a bulging disc in your neck!
I have had a frozen shoulder and muscle pain in right arm and right shoulder for over a year now ,I had surgery in March but didn't work am now having surgery again in few weeks,I can't lift my arm above my head or behind my back getting dressed is a nite mare, I'm on a controlled drug which does help, I work on computers and lifting things but is difficult .
did you get a diagnosis and or relief from this pain.. I think it is caused from using my ipad too.. but is there a solution other than NOT using it..
Same, only in my right arm though, when I'm using my ipad at night it hurts the most. I have arthritis is my hip but I don't know if that is the cause...
I have similar condition as yours and i have been to doctors and hospital they ran tests and couldnt find anything wrong.  My orthodopaedic just injected me on the points where i felt the pain then suggested for another appointment with the physiotherapist for a massage and i honestly feel helpless at this point, all i need is to know the condition of my sickness cause doctors real dont get it.

If anyone could have an idea of this sickness may be they will know how to treat.  My both shoulders sore but the left is worse, it is so hard to put on clothes cause i have to raised them.   When i have to sleep is a mission cause that is the time where the pains come the most.

Please help i am out of my mind trying to figure out this.

Thanking you
Bongi
Hi, I have a frozen shoulder too and know the difficulties of dressing, hanging clothes out, finding sleeping positions, and pain doing everything, really. I just found a you tube video called 'How to Relieve Shoulder Pain'. Mine's mostly on the mid arm. A Dr Ackerman gives instructions for a stretch/exercise 6/7 times a day for a few seconds which will stretch the chest muscles which pull the shoulders forward, and strengthen the upper back muscles which pull the shoulders back. Everything we do, we do in front which pulls the shoulders forward. Strengthening the back changes the posture so the impingement doesn't occur  when we raise our arm. and so, NO INFLAMMATION referring pain to the arm.Worth a try. Back in a month.

relieve
Further to my previous comment. I'm just waiting on receipt of Vit D3 and magnesium oil because most of us are depleted in both and D3 is essential for bone health and magnesium is for muscle pain. I'll let you know if they help me. I take no pharmaceuticals, believe in self-help, am done with doctors because only alternative therapies have done anything for me in 74 years and doctoring has done plenty TO me so I continue to heal myself as things crop up.
I take 5000mg of Vit D daily and it sure hasn't helped me 1 bit.
I can not believe the amount of people that have this! I have been going through it for 2 1/2  years now. I could write a book on it. I have been to Regular doc, Rheumatologist, Neurologist, several Ortho's and Ortho surgeon's. During this time they decided from testing that I had severe nerve damage in the C5/C6 area. Had steroid shots in neck and back. Nope, didn't work just put me through a little more agony. I am taking controlled narcotics, muscles relaxers, Keppra and Lyrica to help reduce the pain but NOTHING helps. I was taking vitamin D 50,000 units per day as prescribed by my doctor but that didn't help either, I do have diabetes and take insulin shots for that. I have done PT, bought a tens unit, an Aqua Relief system and a Ultra sound. Have tried exercises per PT but the pain is to intense. I am also taking mega doses of sleeping med's as I can't sleep due to the pain. They did a sleep study on me and found that due to the pain I really "never went to sleep" not good for my diabetes or my heart problems! Some nights it is so bad I never even attempt to go to bed. I went to a new orth surgeo and this is it which I made very clear to him. If he can help find the cause of this pain I am done with doctors. Most of them just say its Fibro. To me that is just a cop out cause they don't know what it is. If it were Fibro people would be jumping off bridges every day.....All I can say is good luck to all of you and I hope and pray they find out what this is. I what to hold abd carry my grandson so bad... God Bless!
Have you tried eliminating gluten?
I posted earlier about how the triticeae allergy relates to the pain and symptoms you describe, which are/were the same as my daughter.

Eliminating gluten was/remains the complete solution,
it is hard to do but it works. As long as triticeae gluten is not ingested my daughter no long has any pain.

Please take my advice seriously, as I see that you have not added it as something that you have tried.

<3
Thank you so much, I have arm pain just as you describe, which is what brought me to this website to begin with. I have been doing what you suggest with great relief! Knowledge about stretching and exercise has given me this opportunity. Thank you <3
I walk for 1 1/2 hours every alternate day, to absorb vit D, but my upper arm pain, seems not to be getting better. I too do not have insurance, and have to save my monies for my heart and sugar medication, which is life long!
This sounds like the same pain I'm suffering from and I've been taking vit D3 2000 for a long time.  This pain came about after and I'm hoping it goes away on it's own, but it seems to linger.  It's worst in the morning when i'm putting on a shirt.  I sure hope we all can get this licked.

I'm going to keep an eye peeled to the "what's goings on"

Thanks for listening.
This is good information. Thank you.  I am now suffering with my second frozen shoulder in less than a year.  I am miserable.  I have gone back to the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by clair Davies.  He talks about the certain places that will affect your arm pain.  It is not where you feel the pain, it is refered.
I am just sick about this.  I am told that frozen shoulder is common yet I only know one person with it.
Thank God I was sent to an Orthopedic doctor who specialized in shoulders.  He diagnosed me, gave me a cortisone shot, got me into PT
I am sure there are illustrations of exercises on Internet.  I will try to find and bring back here.
The main thing I have been told is not to guard it but to try to continue to move it freely, which is very counter intuitive to what I want to do.  If you stop moving it , it will be useless for many many months.  It is a process of stiffness, awful pain, then complete loss of movement, then thawing.

I hope that this helps someone.  The stabbing pain takes my breath away.
Take care, Dee
here is one exercise, it is one of the first ones I was given during PT

http://www.wussu.com/various/frozen_shoulder.htm

Gentle stretching of the arm is recommended at first, then as they see improvement they will give you bands to work with.  It all has to be  done very gently because the muscles will spasm if they are pulled on too fast too much at one time.
I have all these symptoms that have been described here on this form and I'm glad that the steroids worked for you. I went through 10 shots of steroids directly into my shoulder and no relief. I have what is called an Endocondroma in my right humerus and rotar cuff disease also in the same shoulder. I have had surgery for the rotar cuff, with NO success, if nothing made it worse. I have put up with this pain for now on 5 years with no relief and I am on constant pain relief daily. I am a type 1Diabetic from the age of 8. I too don't sleep due to pain. I am miserable. I'm am currently trying yoga with the slow and gentle stretching. Only been 4 times but is helping a little. I don't think it is diet related nor is it related to vitamin D.
Anyone with orthopaedic knowledge please help us as this is not an isolated issue. A lot of people suffer with exactly the same pain and conditions.
I have had the same thing as everyone here for the past 5 years.  It comes and goes.  I can go months without pain until this year, and now it wakes me up at night.  I have mild pain during the day but much worse pain at night.  My doctor said my insurance would not cover an MRI so I should learn to live with it which I have decided to do.  The doctor thinks it could be small tear in a muscle or a tendon and that surgery on it would sideline me for months and is no guarantee that it won't happen again.  I was shocked when I saw how many of you have this problem.
Amazing how alike your problematic situations are to my Lady friend.  She just over shingles on her left side and within a week arthritic type pain has begun in her right upper arm,  Exams results are do this week   She cannot sleep but does so on her couch better than in bed,  .  From what I have read here  vitamin d & magnesium Drs have never mentioned that nor Tylenol as a sleep aid .  For those who want excellent exercise without effort yes it is indeed possible,  THE SWINGMASTER is fantastic it's like jogging a mile while lying on your back normally it is a side to side movement but and this is important moving your legs above ankles pressing against curved footrests sends your legs up and down  as if jogging.  I mention this because of amazing circulation throughout your body from carotid arteries thru arms legs fingers   no need to wear out knees or brave the temperatures might even help arms you'll sleep well also do to painless exercise. look it up.  That vitamin D &  Tylenol  seem to be a good combo. Great site most helpful glad I stumbled accross
I, like many of you have had the same pain. In 2010 I had it in my right arm, at the time I had carpal tunnel syndrome and was told that maybe it would go away after my carpal tunnel surgery, well it only got worse after the surgery, So back to the doc I went and had surgery on it- the doc never really said What the problem was but did say what he did during surgery- he cut off some of the clavical and cleaned out some junk inside the shoulder- That arm has been fine ever since healing from surgery but now I have the same exact thing going on in the left arm
i am a male of 68 years...i also have this problem ...a few ears back i had a frozen right shoulder ... which lasted about 8 months..but in the last few days i now have come up with sort of the same thing in both my right and left arm...
the right one being worse. my movement in both are restricted by quite severe pain when i reach down or back with my right one...this makes it quite hard to do things around my computer room but also it is sometimes causing me terrible pain at night. i try to sleep on my left side but even that is not working now as last night i moved to my left side but instantly got a horrible pain in my right upper arm. i know i have  back problems (all my life) with bouts of siatica from time to time once doing ostyopathic  therapy which helped that several years ago... but this ...i'm just not sure my back problem is causing this new double frozen shoulder pain.... maybe bursitis ? i also take d3 2000 every day ...for several years now... and nothing else but a one a day vitamin. i am   scheduled to see a specialist DR next month ...but until then i am trying to figure out a good safe pain killer to use while sleeping.  i have heard good things about Aiieve  so i may try that .... last night i took napracin but it did not help at all.  oh one other thing i take from my doc is a stomache acid reducer- Pantoprazole   ... it works well but i hear it can cause many other problems .... with bone and joints... but i have only been taking it for a month so i guess maybe if i have an mri next month they can figure it out ....   thanks for all the comments here ..... i didn't know so many are going through this ....and so young .....                        shalom    
If you place a can of something (I grabbed pumpkin) under your pillow, directly under your head, it takes the weight of your head off of your arm and alleviates much pain.
When there is numbness and tingling in the hand, and loss of strength,; occurring in both arms, 'radiculopathy' is often the cause.  I've had it shift from the right to the left arm but stays mostly in the left.  Impossible to lay on right side without extreme pain.  Likely 'radiculopathy' in my case.
I just Googled (upper arm pain) and found this site. I have had upper arm pain for several months now. Have been waiting for it to improve. However, it just seems to get worse. At first it was only bothering me at night.Now it is throughout the day. Sometimes if I turn my arm a certain way the pain is almost unbearable.I have to be careful what meds I take since am on Coumadin. I use my computer mouse all day at work and I am wondering if this could be the problem.The pain is and tenderness in worse in my mid upper arm, although, I also have pain in the shoulder area. I just hope there is someone out there who understands just what I am going through and will post your thoughts on this. Brenda
Doctors haven't helped. just more bills. Will try, thank you.
Wow, Im with you. Type 2 diabetic, neuropathy in feet, and horrible upper arm pain. Doctors have not helped. have had arm pain for four years. this past yr. has been the worst though. Im only 48. this *****.
Yesterday I did some sweeping and mopping around the house, I was crying the rest of the day and evening, and still so bad today. I have had an MRI about four yrs ago, done physical therapy, I try doing gentle exercise's, Ice it and then warm heat on it. But doesn't do a lot . Its so exhausting.
Like so many others, I am amazed at how many people have this problem.  I have pain in both arms, from the shoulder to the elbow, my right arm hurts way more often than my left.   I have seen a few doctors - internal and 2 orthopedic doctors.  I've had steroid shots, vitamin D pills ( prescription  high dose 1x wk.), physical therapy, compresses - nothing helps.  The pain will wake me during the night and be so bad I can't go back to sleep.  I have not "over used"my arm, I didn't bang it, I don't use electronic devices except for my computer a few times a week and not for hours at a time. The orthopedic doctor convinced me it was my rotar cuff that needed to be repaired. HA! The pain is still here and hurts more than before.  Maybe we'll all get lucky and doctors will finally have an epiphany as to what is causing this.
I have been dealing with this for about a solid year, I feel horrible for the ppl here that have been dealing with this for years and years. I cannot hang clothing up because it hurts to lift my arms. I have to brush my hair with my head tilted to the sides. Getting dressed I take a deep breath and whimper while I'm getting on my tops. Let’s not even talk about the pain of getting my bra on.
My mother thinks that it is arthritis and someone else said bone cancer. (Freaked me out of the thought) I feel like if I force my arm above my shoulder then it will snap. The pain that radiates down the bone to my elbow hurts so badly. I hate that others are dealing with this, but on the other hand I am glad to see that this is not me being a “hypochondriac”. I am not a “picture” of health but I am making great changes in my life and am improving my life.  
I am 39 and my Dr. at the beginning of this year (new Dr.) didn't listen to me and said that I just pulled a muscle or bruised the bone.  I was thinking of finding a new Dr. but if this is as huge of a mystery to all these other Dr.'s maybe it will not matter what Dr. I go to. I hope that we all find some answer very very soon.  
It is amazing that so many people have this type of arm pain. I have had the same pain described here in both upper arms, in the right shoulder and arm for about 7 months and the left arm for about 3 months. I am a Type 2 diabetic which I have had for 3 years. I have mentioned this to my an endocrinologist at my last appointment 6 months ago to see if this might be the start of a frozen shoulder but she said probably not and suggested I see an orthopedist. I work with a lot of orthopedists who all had different diagnoses. I have had no testing done but have been consistently using both arms although it is difficult to dress and reach overhead. I have also had numbness and tingling of the right hand although not the left. And pain only at night if I happen to roll over on either side. I am also a nurse so I tend to want to try to diagnosis myself but I think it is time to start with my PCP and go from there as it is not getting any better with trying Vitamin B12 and exercises on my own. Hope we all get to the bottom of this soon!!
I do take 2000 IU Vit. D3 daily for over a year now, never missing a day and it has NOT helped with the pain so vitamins may not help everyone. I'm glad it was able to help you, I wished it worked for me.
Same problem. I am also going crazy with it. Loss of sleep. Pain between shoulder and elbow. Sometimes so bad I want to pass out. Have you had any luck?
Hey everyone like a lot of other people here, my symptoms mimic many others on this forum. My right arm started having sever pain (almost like someone punched it really hard) only when I lay down at night. Pain killers, muscle relaxers, prescribed topical pain creams, and heating / ice pads do not help (only but for 2-3 hours of sleep at night). Here's everything else I've tried: Deep Tissue massages (which makes everything but my right arm feel great), seeing the doctor several times, and an MRI (which came back fine).  I've got another appointment for the doc scheduled on Monday and will report back. What I am going to try are the wrist braces someone suggested. I'll also report how that goes.

Yes, this helps  me. Only I use cooled soda-pop cans in the fridge under the curve of my neck and sometimes under my right arm pit and along the top of my  right forearm.  I did have my heart checked out--right arm pain and chest pain can be signs of a heart attack in a female.

#1 trick: Check with doc FIRST; if okay; warm sore arm and shoulder and keep shoulder movements show and try to keep full range of motion for your shoulder so it does not "lock-up". I have diabetes, too. Type 1. I don't know if there is a direct connection--but there is at least a correlation.

#2 FORGET "no  pain no gain" all you want to do is warm the muscles involved; move them in ROM exercises so that your shoulder does not lock up--check with doctor and get permission and ROM excercises. You may have to use Ice or other inflammation controls (per doc for POTENTIAL pain-sometimes there is no extra or extended pain).

#3. Your pain is real--like that should ever be doubted. But some might. I used to cry in my bedroom; and inadvertently call out when a movement or just nothing caused a blinding, crushing pain assortment in my forearm, wrist shoulder andabout three inches above my elbow in my upper arm. I can't work now. Although if I do avoid wheat and all grain products, keep m bs down and keep doing the warm stretches--the pain seems to level out.

#3Trick: Use tube socks to help prevent skin to cool metal contact and sometimes you can tuck the socks so that you can place the cool cans on other sore parts of shoulders and arms. I hope this helps.
My husband got a Kindle for Christmas and spends a lot of time playing Candy Crush.  Since about that time he has now developed pain in his right arm from the shoulder down.  Days that he plays more, the pain is worse at night and disturbs his sleeping.  I am wondering how many others are spending a good deal of time on an IPad, Kindle or Nook!  He is going to "try" and refrain from using but it is a problem because he also gets his books on the Kindle and reads in bed.  We can report back.
Googled to find this. I started with pain in right shoulder early June this year when easing myself up the bed using my hands either side of me on the mattress. At the time I was on holiday at our place in Spain. Back in the UK I saw a Dr. at our surgery, she gave me 2 wks anti inflamms, no joy, then xray. Results said "almost completely normal, just minimal sclerosis under the tip of the acromion which could be from rotator cuff disease".

Then, because it was still painful & I couldn't dress easily like put my bra on, get into & out of tshirts, I need help getting down into bath & getting out, Dr. gave me cortisone injection, no joy. She said she'd refer me to a musculoskeletal clinic though that was going to be around 6 weeks or so. My husband & I had an imminent flight booked to return to Spain on 1st September for 11 weeks which is where I am currently till 19th November so won't be seeing anyone in the uk till after then. Dr. gave me Feldine gel to rub on affected areas. A week before I left the uk I banged my right elbow on the fridge,door, at the time it didn't bother me, it has done lately, it's very painful at times.

As soon as I arrived I went to see a physio 2nd a September,who told me I had a lot of inflammation in my shoulder. She used acupuncture needles into the inflamed tendon that caused me to shout out, it was incredibly painful. Over three visits in 8 days I've had many needles stuck in the front of my shoulder, the back of my shoulder, my elbow too. Physio has pressed deep into clavicle area, kneaded my arm like she was making bread. She told me I need to place an ice pack on my shoulder 3-4 times daily & I've had to also do same on my elbow. I don't know if I should continue going to this private physio as the treatments excruciating sometime, is it doing any good, I'm thinking? I'm going again tomorrow for more physio.

I'm thinking is this bone cancer? My friend had very much the same, was told she needed physio then they found too late she had bone cancer. From when she started with the pain to her dying it was only a few months. I told the 1st Dr. I saw of these fears but she just said it was rarer than hens teeth! I told another Dr. who said just because my friend had this doesn't mean I have it. Sometimes the pain wakes me around 5am then I take a paracetamol/tramadol prescribed by my UK Dr.

I sympathise with each & every one of you. Thank you for letting me share this with you.

I too cut fruit for a living and my pain sometimes is just terrible especially doing small things like cutting strawberries, or even reaching for something overhead, last time this happened i got a cortizone shot i guess i will have to get another one but thanks for the vitamin d suggestion.
I started suffering with acute pain in my right upper arm a few months ago.  After a recent x-ray, my doctor suspects I have something called Pagets disease.  There is quite a lot of info on the web about this disease, and it certainly sounds as if this could be the problem.

I am a 60yr old female with no other major health problems.  This pain affects me most at night and is getting worse.  I am having a blood test tomorrow to try and confirm his diagnosis.  At the moment, I would like to chop my right arm off and throw it out the window.

Viewing 601-693 comments: