Upper Arm Pain mid arm between the elbow and shoulder
I have been looking everywhere for an answer, maybe someone here can.

About 1 year ago I began having pain in my right upper arm, between the shoulder and elbow, about mid arm where the biceps brachii muscle or brachialis muscle is.
I went to my Primary Physician who said it was a torn brachialis muscle.  Since I was working at a 2nd job, I thought it might be job related so I went through the whole Workman's Comp issue.  They sent me to 4 doctors who did nothing for me, finally the case was settled and my lawyer got most of the money, but I still have the pain.  It is an extreme ache down to the bone, that is unbearable at night.  Even with pain medicine and sleep aides, I get about 2-3 hours a night.  Finally, I went back to my own doctor and asked if he could help me, he said yes.  He sent me for an MRI, and then to an Orthopedic Surgeon.  The Surgeon said the MRI revealed a cyst inside the humerus bone about 1 cm by 5 mm, that would have to be "watched" to see if it grows, if it does, it could weaken the bone, and the slightest mishap could break the bone.  However, he said it could NOT be causing me so much pain.  He checked out my arm and noticed a hard soft tissue knot, and suggested removing it through surgery and it "might" relieve my pain.  So, 3 weeks ago I had the said surgery and it was removed (a hard soft tissue mass about the size of a marble).  No, this was not the cyst inside my humerus bone.  Anyways, I still have the pain, and it is extremely terrible at night (on a scale of 1 to 10, a 20 at night).  I even have the same pain, in the same place, in my left arm, but to a much lesser degree (maybe a 5-7 at night, but bearable).  I have tried many unsuccessful web searches, trying to find something that might lead me to an answer for what this is, so here I am grasping at cyber straws.  I have this incredible pain, that is extremely painful at night, no idea what it is, therefore  no idea how to cure it.  Please, if you have any ideas of where to research, I am definitely open and also AWAKE.  Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation in this matter, I deeply appreciate it.
HAVE YOU GOTTEN BETTER YET? IS THERE A SURGERY FOR THIS IM TIRED OF PAIN
rhabdomyolysis
Myoglobin is a protein component of the muscle cells that is released into the blood when the skeletal muscle is destroyed in rhabdomyolysis. Creatine kinase is an enzyme (a protein that facilitates chemical reactions in the body) also in the muscle cells. The level of each of these proteins can be measured at   in blood to monitor the degree of muscle injury from rhabdomyolysis. Myoglobin can also be measured in samples of urine.

Just another possibility.
rhabdomyolysis

Just another possibility to test.
Both doc and physical therapist had warned me that shoulder injury can exhibit pain in mid arm instead of on the shoulder itself.

After five months of struggling with excruciating mid arm pain (and after six weeks of physical therapy) my doc finally ordered an MRI.

Diagnosis: complete rotator cuff tear. Treatment: surgery.

Rotator cuff tears can happen either from aging (general usage) or from a singular event.

ugh!! I have this as well, except mine feels better when I lay on it. Mine also on top and very deep feeling.
I'm so glad to see this thread so I know I'm not crazy! I share the same symptoms as you and several others on here.   I did have pain in both upper arms; now it's only in the left, and it's getting worse.  After I started taking serrapeptase, the right arm is completely normal now.   However the left upper arm, which started with a dull overall ache, has now changed to stronger pain that radiates up into my shoulder/neck area and down into my forearm area sometimes.  The worst pain is still in the upper arm, but sometimes now it also wraps all around to the underside of my upper arm.   Night time is the worst.
FYI, the only prescription medication I’m on is for low thyroid.  Ibuprofen definitely takes the edge off my pain, but I don’t want to be on that every single day and ruin my liver!
Thank you it helps that another person knows just how painful this is.I don't remember any injury to bring this on although years ago I did fall out the back of a truck and other people fell on top of me.I was so hurt I could not remove my clothing and did go to the hospital.This developed 20 years later.My arm is so bad I put it up in a make shift sling,to take the pressure off the arm.I am using a massager with a heated red light on the end of this machine.Seems to help.I am waiting to see a specialist.I am 53 year old female in good health except for this pain.I can't find any medication that helps.I use Oxycodone 40 mg 2 times daily.Baclofen 10mg 1 tab 2x daily.Naproxen 375mg 1 tab2x daily as needed.Bromazepam 1 tab 2x daily as needed.non of this works but helps to some degree.
Well, add another name to the long list of arm pain sufferers. This has been plaguing me for several weeks now. It's gotten progressively worse. I went to my GP who said "bursitis" gave me ibuprofen and ordered an X-ray, which I didn't do. I knew there was no injury. After the ibuprofen didn't do a thing I tried this antique "magic mud", Antiphlogistine stuff I had. It's a poultice that's supposed to draw out inflammation. It did seem to help for awhile. I was about to cave in and get the X-ray when I found this blog. Seems everything is a waste of time and money. The pain pills I have don't even take away all the pain.

After reading above I did try the massage suggested from the neck to the shoulder. I found I had two very tender spots. One next to the cervical spine and another in the lower shoulder. It really helped a lot but then something happened. I got painful swelling and heat in those two spots. That night I iced them down and they're better now. That night I woke with the worst pain so far in my left arm. So yesterday I took pain pills and kept heat on my arm. It's better again. We will see what happens today but I am sick of this. Normally I'm very healthy and active. This is putting me down and depressed.

I got this iPad for Christmas and have just been addicted to it. Is that the culprit?  It does "add up". I've really been limiting myself now. Who would have thought?
I have done so many google searches in regards to this pain that I have and as many I thought that I was alone. It started off gradually, and finally gotten to the point that my husband took me to the ER. They, of course, did a x-ray and could see nothing wrong, so they sent me off with a script for a pain killer and back to work. Although the pain killers did help me get through the day at work, my pain in my shoulder has only gotten worse and now jolts down to my elbow, now to the point that I freeze up in pain. I've read so many posts talking about a vitamin D deficiency, to pressure points, to every thing else. Nothing has helped me thus far, and I don't have a vitamin deficiency. So now, I'm at a loss and no idea what to do next ... any suggestions ?
This may sound weird and unconventional but I go to a holistic dr and have the same pain.  He said it is from my diet.  So I started taking sugar out of my diet (no artificial anything) and absolutely no white sugar and the pain is subsiding and several other ailments I have been living with for years seem to be going away also.  My pain was in the front of my shoulder (not the joint) but the muscles and moved down the upper part of my arm. I certainly don't know if this is your problem too but it is making a world of difference to my issues.  
So good to hear I am not alone. I have been suffering with the same pain few weeks. First in right arm than it began to move to my neck and left arm. Went to doctor after blood work he told me I had thyroid problem. Told me it was symptom of the under active  thyroid. Three days on meds for thyroid. Pain in arms still very bad. it is the worst at night. Hopefully it will help.  Can't sleep either. Just curious are all you people you suffer from this women? Will let you know if it works.
The same thought crossed my mind while my pain is in both arms it is more severe in my right arm and right part of my neck. I use my right arm for the iPad.
i have the same symtoms as most people on this site .. i am 48 years old and have been a furniture removal man for over 10 years and prior to that a coal roundsman .. the trouble first startedaround  3 months ago ... every morning i woke up with my arm and hand feeling numb ( i thought i had been lying on my right arm when i was sleeping ? ...more recently the numbness has stopped and i just wake up in pain ...i was told by a trackside doctor that i had a repetive strain injury - tennis elbow ... my right shoulder is also sore and when my arm is outstreached i have no power to squeeze anything with myright  hand the pain is a dull ache untill i try to use my hand to do anything and it becomes a shooting pain ...any ideas guys ..any help would  be appreciated ..
Get an MRI done.

I'm a 59 yo male.

For several months pain, numbness, sometimes pins and needles always the left arm.. not always the same spot in my arm.. mornings are the worst.. Finally had an MRI done and found a collapsed disc in my neck.. C6-C7

Just knowing what it is, was a huge relief.. I'm doing PT now, it helps some. Maybe a cortisone shot in my neck soon, and if it continues to interfere with my lifestyle I have to be operated on .

Not the best situation, but better to know than to imagine the worst
can you tell me what brand you purchased?  I see several different and prices

cervical traction unit
I have suffered left arm pain between my shoulder and elbow for about 3 years now.  I am a 55 year old woman who slouches on the sofa with my laptop way too much.  I don't stretch or exercise so this makes sense.  I will start stretching now and hope that it's not too late to make a difference. It certainly can't hurt.  
The pain is now starting in, the same area, of my right arm, not happy about that!  I've also been experiencing burning sensations, itching and crawling sensations all over, from head to toe.  Neuropathy?  I was worried about MS, but had an MRI and not showing any lesions.  I had no idea that this pain in my arm, all these years was nerve pain!  It makes sense now because sometimes the pain is not so bad, but other times it can be extremely painful.  I thought I had hurt it somehow and blamed it on old age.  I have a hard time holding a baby without a pillow under my arm, and changing my clothes at night and in the morning is the absolute worst!  I'm going to start stretching and strengthening.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll share results.  
Thank you. Just tried this and it works, practically immediately. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Just reading this in desperation as I am so fed up of the pain in my upper arms and shoulders. I am 42 and have had this for 6 months. Nothing showed up on blood testes apart from slightly low in vitamin D. I am on medication for that, they have given me muscle relaxants that made me feel ill and sleepy and didn't help at all. No pain relief helps. I can't sleep, I can't undo my bra and it hurts to get dressed/undressed. If my little boy pulls on my arm i'm in agony. I'm just so frustrated and nobody seems to know what to do next :-(
My right outside arm just below shoulder at night feels like a knife is scraping the bone, Pain from one to ten is a 20 with occasional finger tingling and numbness along with the forearm rock hard. I've been to many doctors who with out any tests say there's nothing they can pin point but an excuse to get pain meds. WRONG. This all takes place while laying down to sleep and not after being up and on the move even though I have had 2 neck MRI's that say bone spurring, narrowing of spinal canal disc degeneration and arthritic changes. But with all that I'm told my arms don't show anything to be causing my type of arm pain. I was once told by a doctor that you only get treated as good as your insurance is and due to being unable to hold employment I only have Medicade might be my reason to why. Please give thoughts or advice. Thanks to all and I hope you all get the help and relief you need and deserve.
Please look up and read about CRPS. complex regional pain syndrome then try and get your doctor to do a whole cervical MRI. I hope you find help and get relief. Good luck
I have exactly the same symptoms....pain in the bone, can be excruciating at night and  virtually un-noticeable during the day even a few minutes after waking. Came on about 8/9 weeks ago... no change in habits or aware of any trauma that could have caused it. Xray of shoulder was clear. I've read every post and discussed with my quack. She dismissed Carpal Tunnel,Rotator Cuff, Vitamin D3 deficiency, Bursitis, Frozen Shoulder,Callific Tendonitis, Brachial Plexus Neuritis, Cervical Radiculopathy, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Radial nerve  and the use of a Cervical Traction Unit. After examination and giving resistance to raising my left arm she diagnosed a problem where the Deltoid muscle joins the arm bone between shoulder and elbow and given me Shoulder mobilising and strengthening excercises to do for a few weeks and recommended  taking Ibuprofen before bed and for pain relief during the night paracetamol so I can get some sleep. If no change I will be referred to a muscular skeletal specialist.
it is coming from the brain....as crazy as it sounds. I have it in both arms and have had for a few years now. Believe me i'e tryed everything. This is gona probably be a little hard for most to get your head around but do the research and the dots will join up. Google haarp frequencies effects on nerves in shoulders/arms. This is fact and is happening all around the globe

I landed on your website because my mom has what you have. But it comes and goes based on how much she raises her arms. Three weeks ago she moved a washing machine by herself and now she is in agony. I have worked for very reputable chiropractors and holistic doctors, one who is known globally. Google Dr. Datis Kharrazian in Carlsbad, California, USA. Get in touch with his office.
Rub the tendons on the back of your neck for a good 3 minutes. This saved me so much pain. I wished I would had discovered it years ago
Massaging gently the scalene muscles, then massaging deeply my neck tendons for a few minutes did incredible things for me. The pain slowly decreased, and I did it every day, and switched to a clean diet, and now I only need to rub and stretch once ever few days, and I feel amazing.
Most of our pains stem from the neck/spine! Massage your scalene muscles gently, and then your neck tendons firmly. Three minutes for three times a day. It literally fixed me. I shout it from the rooftops now lol
I have the same pain. 44 year old stay at home mom registered nurse. Recently I went on a liver detox through my naturopath and the pain went away in a week. (I didn't even tell her about the arm pain- I just thought I had been sleeping on my right side too much). Some supplements and eating only veggies, limited meat, and a little fruit. No potatoes, bell peppers... (Paleo autoimmune diet). She said stay away from toxic people. Well one visit from a special family member and back to standard American diet with a slight sugar binge and now the pain is worse than ever. (Thank you to those that mentioned sugar- I may not have put it together.) I think the pain comes from inflammation of the nerves- which diet can cause, and those of us typing on a tablet probably aggravate it. Also computer mouse too. I will try pt, massage, yoga too.
Good luck to all- you are not alone. Thank you for the posts.
I too suffer from this excruciating pain in my upper right arm.  I'm thinking it's stemming from work and reaching up for the keyboard and mouse a min of 8 hours a day.  I've BEEN taking Vitamin D3 for a few years for lower Vitamin D3 levels (totally unrelated) and can tell you first hand, I've started suffering while I've been taking, so it's doubtful in my opinion taking Vitamin will offer little to no help what so ever, but I wish people luck if it does for them.  This pain is unbearable and *****, I wouldn't wish on anyone.
I have been suffering from pain in my right arm for almost 9 months and has been having physio but not helping at all. Am relieved that I am not alone in this suffering and I try the neck exercise. I am in the caring profession and I do not spend a lot of time using computers but perhaps it is more the strain i put on my muscles which has all built up through the years. My xray and mri results showed nothing. My physio is thinkingof referring me to a ortho consultant for further test.
Senga
I've just started have these pains but they only hurt me at night. I'm a stay at home mom so I know it's not a work related issue. Can anyone give advice?
I KNOW the PAIN your DESCRIBE and I do not SELL MSM!  

This information and RELIEF of pain came from a BODY BUILDER after I suffered 24/7 for 4 years of pain from right side of body, fingers to right side of neck, arm muscles spasms endlessly 24 hours a day!  I tried acupuncture, VIOX, huge needles shoved into the palm of my hand (it was 2.5 inches thick) writing was now impossible.  I was told to use MSM in tablet form.  2 capsules in the morning, 2 capsules at bedtime (use 3 times a day if needed).  RESEARCH this product that is mostly sulphur.  YOUR BODY will tell YOU how much you need by the reduction of pain.  My body took 6 months until ALL the pain was GONE.  I was hit by a truck, so I have Deep Tissue damage that will be with me for the rest of my life.  I take MSM as needed.  I hadn't taken it for a long time and I now have the same debilitating pain on the top of my right hand, muscles (or tendons) in right arm between elbow and shoulder - pain has travelled up my right shoulder (bursitis area) and into my neck.  At the time of diagnosis after the truck hit me, I was told I had TENOSINOVITIS.  Inflammation is basically the issue.  Look at your diet.  Are you eating break, dairy or other foods that CAUSE inflammation in YOUR body?  My pain is worse when I try to sleep.  I am once again taking the MSM and rubbing TIGER BALM on the skin location of pain.  You can also grind the MSM and mix with any cheap lotion and the pain will subside by osmosis.  If you want faster results, ask for DMSO (oil that smells fishy) but works.  This product was discovered by the Health Sciences Dept. at the University of Oregeon.  They were trying to discover another method of pain treatment via OSMOSIS for Cancer patients, other than by needles.  DMSO was discovered, but because it smells fishy, further testing was done.

RESEARCH MSM or look for the book, "The Miracle of MSM."  Hope this is helpful for some.  MSM is good for any type of INFLAMMATORY DISEASES.
I am 21 and am having the same symptoms. It hurts so bad I am not sure what to do. I go to the cyropractor but that doesnt seem to help right now with the pain.  
I had this problem 2 weeks ago every time I sat at the computer I would get this throbbing ache most people on here have been describing,was okay when not at the PC,but gradually become more frequent even through the night,and especially driving the car,about 5 days ago was unloading a bag of very heavy shopping  from the car and for some reason decided to carry it to the house with my painful arm  (Left one, and distance of about 100ft),went indoors put shopping down and realised the pain had gone! Tried to work out why and could only think that the heavy weight pulling down on my arm and because it was so heavy and been leaning away from it,This I assumed had stretched something between my elbow and spine.After a hour or so pain came back so loaded heavy duty shopping bag to similar weight as the one I had carried,and walked roun the living room few times with it.pain went away.Had the pain slighltly through the night so got up and repeated this excersise.did this 3 times a day for about 3 days,pain has now completely gone,but don't sit at the PC anymore I use my laptop on the sofa and lean back.
My mother went through all of this for over a year! Numerous rheumatologists and doctors along the way. Drove 2 hours to see a Lyme literate research MD in NY. Treating her symptoms of Lyme even though she tested negative on blood work. Most doctors will downplay Lymes Bc most are not informed of the late stages Lymes disease truley has on your body! Upper arm pain down to the wrists, worse at night and early morning until she got going. Was diagnosed with osteoarthritis, PMR, fibromyalgia... You name it she was treated for it. Only markers that were elevated in bloodwork was her CRP and sed rate..please Google upper arm pain and late stage Lyme disease!!! There's a small community of doctors and forums that agree people will think you're all going crazy but you are not!! For answers DanielCameronMD.com..watch his videos and research...
I am 43 and I have tgecsame pain day and night it feels like someone has punched both my arms it hurts when I reach out my car window at a fast food place I can't figure out what is causing this I could use any ones help please
me too
I have the same feeling in my arm. Ortho says frozen shoulder and I have had 2 cortisone shots. The first was more in the shoulder area, and the 2nd was more at top of arm in the shoulder. Neither seemed to help. MRI of shoulder showed nothing. I go back for recheck in a few days, but can't imagine what's left to do, since I've spent weeks doing PT as well with 2 different therapist. If you find something that works, let me know please! Good luck
Thank you so much for your post about Atorvastatin.  I had tried several things for the increasingly painful ache in both my upper arms, but nothing worked.  Then I read your post.  I, too, was taking Atorvastatin at night.  I switched it to morning and it has made all the difference in the world.  I am now sleeping well at night with no pain!  Thank you!
Sounds like what I'm dealing with !  Recently I started to apply pressure to the area with my finger tips ... It hurts but no pain .. No gain ... Right ?   So the next day I noticed the swelling go down and less painful ....  I'm going to continue to apply pressure to the areas ... Use cold/ heat therapy ... Stay away from all GMO Foods .... Avoid sugar .... I think it might be inflammation .... Not sure but applying pressure is working !
So are u still taking Atorvastatin? I take it also and have for about 5 months at night. I was on Pravastatin. Last nite this pain started under my left upper arm into my elbow and it's on my shoulder blade in back.
Hi. I've been to the ER and they find nothing so I took the meds they gave me and it made things worse. I still have the pain in my right forearm. I apply bengay before I go to sleep, in the am and this has helped me with the pain. Have someone massage your neck, shoulder and than apply it to your arm where the pain is and it works. I bought bengay extra strength and so far this is the only thing that helps me sleep and throughout the day.
April last year I got sick because of Influneza. After that I felt  pain with my both  arms. between the shoulder and elbow. First I ignore it.Then after 3 mos. I Went to a doctor for check up. beacuse it getting worse I can´t lift up .i can´t reach my bra, and the worse is if I wear my jacket it is very pain..My right arm is worse   than the left arm.My doctor gave me a 500 grm.  tablets.I take it 2xd..after 2 week  nothing happened. I Always felt pain specially at night.and I can´t sleep either  after 1 month I  went  agin to my doctor. he gave me a Voltaren gel but  the pain is not subside. I talk to a professional trainer, he said that   my muscles have a problem. He teach me what  I suppose  to do with my muscle pain..I exercise  3x everyday.but . I still felt pain. I stayed at home for a 1 month. but there is no difference. I think its getting worse..as usual  I back to work..I did 4 sesseion with Laser therapy but the pain is not subside. I talk to my trainor. he sent me to a doctor for Cortison injection.. I got 1 shot cortison on my shoulder.. I did not felt so much pain now on my shoulder. but  I still have muscle pain on my both arms. next week  I have time to my trainor. and to another doctor.. I need an XRY or  MRI. I want try an Acupuncture or Pressopuncture. Im affraid of surgery..
Finally I have found someone else that is going through what I am going through. Monday I go to the Pain Management Dr & hoping for some relief because the pain sleeping from side to side is so hard to at night. plus putting on my clothes ugh it feels like my muscles are twisting up that I have to rub it until the pain pass. Everything that you had describe I am going through the same symptoms but it seems to be spreading to my lower arms also near my hands . But when the weather is cold or rainy it is at it's worst some times. But if you find out what it is please tell me . Because I am telling family & friends about thins they think I am faking this. I need a diagnose..
https://youtu.be/hKXxlyYpH4w
What worked for you?
I am suffering from the same thing but do not have access to good healthcare. Has anyone tried chiropractic? I cannot try it at this time because I am out of work but have wondered if it may help. I cannot sleep with my spouse in the same bed because I need to lay my arms out to get any sleep. I have had this for years! Thanks so much.
I was just going to suggest an MRI of the cervical spine.  Could be a pinched nerve due to changes in the spine.  Similar to sciatica but in the arm due to the location on the spine.  (Neck)
Like so many have said, finally I find I am not alone!  I think this is a blessing in disguise, as it is making me re-evaluate my diet and (lack of) exercise and stretching.  Am getting a massage this Friday, so I'll discuss what I'm experiencing with her.  Thank you, all, for your comments
I  have found help with this same problem at http://www.sportnetdoc.com/arm-upper/rupture-of-the-muscle-on-the-back-of-the-upper-arm   I have followed the stretches Hope this helps someone else Good luck!
Update went back to chiropractor today after two weeks. The first time of going to him i was very tight and protective of my shoulder  it could not be adjusted But today after two weeks of stretches and working it we came to find out my shoulder was dislocated so he reset it hurt VERY BADLY Have absolutely NO idea how i did this to myself.So what was thought to be a ruptured M. triceps brachii was a dislocated shoulder. Best to always find out from a medical professional and could save you a lot of worry and pain.
The cause of the pain might be due to sleeping and hands behind the head
release your hands while sleeping and you will be fine after few nights
Let me know if that works with you
:)