Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Upper Arm Pain mid arm between the elbow and shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have been looking everywhere for an answer, maybe someone here can.

About 1 year ago I began having pain in my right upper arm, between the shoulder and elbow, about mid arm where the biceps brachii muscle or brachialis muscle is.
I went to my Primary Physician who said it was a torn brachialis muscle.  Since I was working at a 2nd job, I thought it might be job related so I went through the whole Workman's Comp issue.  They sent me to 4 doctors who did nothing for me, finally the case was settled and my lawyer got most of the money, but I still have the pain.  It is an extreme ache down to the bone, that is unbearable at night.  Even with pain medicine and sleep aides, I get about 2-3 hours a night.  Finally, I went back to my own doctor and asked if he could help me, he said yes.  He sent me for an MRI, and then to an Orthopedic Surgeon.  The Surgeon said the MRI revealed a cyst inside the humerus bone about 1 cm by 5 mm, that would have to be "watched" to see if it grows, if it does, it could weaken the bone, and the slightest mishap could break the bone.  However, he said it could NOT be causing me so much pain.  He checked out my arm and noticed a hard soft tissue knot, and suggested removing it through surgery and it "might" relieve my pain.  So, 3 weeks ago I had the said surgery and it was removed (a hard soft tissue mass about the size of a marble).  No, this was not the cyst inside my humerus bone.  Anyways, I still have the pain, and it is extremely terrible at night (on a scale of 1 to 10, a 20 at night).  I even have the same pain, in the same place, in my left arm, but to a much lesser degree (maybe a 5-7 at night, but bearable).  I have tried many unsuccessful web searches, trying to find something that might lead me to an answer for what this is, so here I am grasping at cyber straws.  I have this incredible pain, that is extremely painful at night, no idea what it is, therefore  no idea how to cure it.  Please, if you have any ideas of where to research, I am definitely open and also AWAKE.  Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation in this matter, I deeply appreciate it.
Viewing 1-200 comments:

has shoulder bursitis been ruled out?  I have copied and pasted some information on this below.  If it is shoulder related (and you have "transferred" pain), the fact you put "pressure" on it at night from lying down could explain why your pain increases at night.

"The Causes of Shoulder Pain Defined
Bursitis is inflammation of a bursa. A bursa is a tiny fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between tissues of the body. There are 160 bursae in the body. The major bursae are located adjacent to the tendons near the large joints, such as the shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees.

The shoulder is the most mobile joint in the body. When a person reaches overhead, the tendons that move the shoulder must glide almost two inches past a bone surface. The acromion is the large bursa in the shoulder that protects and cushions the tendons as they glide beneath the shoulder blade. With repetitive activities above shoulder level, overuse, aging or falls, this bursa may become inflamed, producing noises when the shoulder is moved. Pain coming from shoulder bursitis is frequently felt halfway down the upper arm toward the elbow."

I appear to be suffering from the same symptoms as you are.  This pain has been going on, off and on again, for almost two years.  Asprin or any anti-inflammatories help but I don't want to rely on them forever.  Please let me know if you've had any luck diagnosing your illness.    
Same here.  Left arm... midway between shoulder and elbow.   First noticed it when it woke me up the first night, and each night there after.  It has since progressed to where I can feel it all day... but night is the worst.  Not as bad as yours, but enough to affect my sleep - and is now having a definite affect on the strength in my left arm.

And no, it is not the "shooting pain" associated with a heart attach... nor does it start in the shoulder as in the case of bursitis mentioned above.  It starts and ends in the middle of my humerous, on the outside side (away from my body).

Your posting is the first I have found that offers anything close to a similar symptom.

I am 59, a life time jogger, and have avoided medications at all costs through out my life (because the few times they have been prescribed - 3/4ths of the time they have created worse conditions than the one that led to my taking them in the first place).

Thanks for sharing your experiences... perhaps others will post.

I'm about to visit a sport medicine MD on mine. Mine sounds the same as both of you though and it wakes me up at night - particularly if I sleep with my arm bent.  I ascribe mine (for now) as a "spreading" of my tennis elbow problem.  That was a result of too much remodeling.  Add to that too much time at the keyboard.  Either of you guys have tennis elbow (just INSIDE the knobby bone by the elbow)?
I just registered on here today to see if i could find anything for that exact symptom. I am 21 and having the same syptoms (symptoms) in my right arm I thought maybe it was contributed to being on the computer all day at work and got a wrist brace for when I type, that has not helped, I have gotten to where I have to sleep on my left side with two pillows in front of me to lay my right arm on and it still does not help that much I wake up off and on all through the night. I am also having back pains and numb hand and fingers at times, the numbness is in my left and right hand. The pain in my right arm is more intense when I move my arm away from my body or up at all.
I also have been noticing this sensation in the past while, so that it hurts when I lift my arms over my head or even above level.  The little bit of research I have done points to the LI-14 acupuncture point (large intestine), which may signal something going on in my digestive system which needs correction.  Also, I am starting to take daily megadoses of 4g-10g ascorbic acid (Bronson No. 145, capsuled by me so that the acidity of the Vitamin C doesn't hurt my teeth; must be spaced out during the day rather than taken all at once) to see if that will give my body the assist it needs, whether to rebuild bone (am also taking capsuled monosodium phosphate--about 1/8 tsp. of the pure, food-grade kind horses get fed--along with Algaecal) or to give my immune system a boost for whatever reason.  Not sure if it has to do with fluoride in the water (don't usually drink fluoridated water of any kind) or something else purportedly innocuous.
I have been having the same problem in my right arm. It started out as just a twinge many months ago, but has been steadily getting worse. I was dismissing it as part of my Fibromyalgia, but as pronounced as it is getting to be, I believe that it has to be something different. If anyone finds out anything on this. I would be interested in hearing more on it.
I went to the Dr. on Fri. about this exact problem which woke me up at night 2 weeks ago and every night since. Pain in the upper right arm is excruciating at night and last night it started slightly in left arm.  Have resorted to sleeping in almost a sitting position to keep arms straight because pain is worsened if arm is bent. Pain meds for last three nights did not help.  Dr. said it may be overuse of the muscle due to the physical work I do.  She said pain meds only will help a little, need anti-inflammatory meds which I am allergic to and cannot take. Has anyone tried those?
Omygoodness, I cant believe I found this forum.  I have the exact same pain in my right arm.  I never had any problem until I was recovering from a stroke and emergency surgery.  While in the hospital for two weeks afterward, I noticed a dull aching in my right arm, midway between the elbow and shoulder.  The discomfort gradually worsened over the next month until I couldnt use my arm at all.  An orthopedic surgeon told me I had torn my rotator cuff and needed surgery but, when he got in there, he found nothing.  Weekly deep tissue massage helps a lot, but I'd like to find out what's causing the pain.  
P.S.  My pain is 24/7...not only at night.
I have the exact same pain, it started mid arm on right side and now is there and also inside my elbow, over the past two years I have had three shots in arm and one directly into sholder joint. the doctor put me on celebrex but the side effects will scare the b-Jesus out of you. So I quit taking it, I have found very little relief and it is definately worse at night when I'm trying to sleep and can't find a position to get in where it doesn't hurt. Sure would like to know some way for the pain to go away
Hi all, I just typed "pain and pressure both upper arms" (something that's been happening to me for a few years now; my arms can get painfully numb after 5 minutes of lying on them} and it brought me here.  I am actually having issues with my lower back and just had an epidural last week to relieve the pain. Because the back pain was so agonizing for the past year, I just focused on it and didn't tell the MD that my arms get numb and tingly or the burning pressure and pain I also have.  
I believe is time I tell him about my arms too, just in case, huh?  Good luck to all of you, I'll return for updates.  Thank you.
I wrote about this on 1/28, I recently saw a Dr. again.  This Dr. believes that I may have a pinched nerve in the neck which could be responsible for the pain in my right arm which also makes my hand and arm numb and swollen.  She also told me to take 2 of the Vicoden every 4 hours at night (so I take it twice), I tried this and had the first painless night since this started almost a month ago.  Problem is, I don't want to be on pain meds, I want the problem to go away.  She did have me get a bunch of x-rays of back, neck, and arm.  She also is referring me to a "physical medicine" doctor.  Hopefully this doctor can find the cause.  Will stay in touch...Good luck to all...
My 26 yr old daughter also has this same pain in her upper arm -- she descibes the pain as a pressure that if she didn't know any better she swears her arm is about to blow up.  It also is the worst at night and if the spell was really bad it effects her arm all day.  This pain started two years ago and lasted the first time for three months.  She had xrays, CT scans, MRI's, bone scans, neurological exams and NOTHING showed up.  Her GP was struck and what else to do -- also pain meds did nothing --- possibly the narcotic ones may have but she didn't what to resort them them.  So here we are two years later and it is starting up again ..... we don't know where to go from here either.  When I found this web site --  I told her it wasn't a diagnosis but at least there are other people with the exact problem, so you know that it is not just in your head ----- BUT IS THERE ANYONE WITH ANSERS --- PLEASE -- IS THERE NOT A DOCTOR WHO HAS ANY NEW INFO -- Just out of curiousity have any of you been exposed to wood ticks in the past couple of years ?????

Pennie in Moose Jaw
I cannot believe that so many have the same pain that has plagued me.  I hope someone is able to come up with something that will explain it and or help it.  

Jocie
Well, here I am again.  Saw the "physical medicine" Dr. who performed Nerve Conduction Studies exam on both my arms and confirmed I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms which I knew I had but I was not using the braces because they gave me little relief.  Dr. suggested I start using them again because sometimes CTS can cause pain in the upper arms and the braces can relieve this, so I did.  After 6 weeks of painful nights with little sleep, I am finally free of the pain and am sleeping much better and without any pain meds.  I still have a dull pain during the day and some numbness in my fingers.  Of course the only cure is surgery which is something I will have to think about.  I still have to have the bone scans to rule out any possible tumor in the bone but since the braces are working at night I doubt anything else is wrong.  For now I can live with this condition as long as the excruciating pain at night is gone. Will continue to update, good luck...
I have the exact same problem in both arms between the elbow and shoulder with the pain on the outside away from my body. It showed up a couple of months ago and I was trying to figure out if it had anything to do with me being 4 months pregnant. My obstetrician doesn't think so though. Since I am pregnant, I can't take ibuprophen or get x-rays so I really don't know what to do. I also have a toddler that I lift a lot so maybe that's causing it. Anyway, I'm not so happy that other people are having the same pain, but relieved to know that I'm not crazy. I don't think it's carple tunnel - I don't have any numbness in my hands - at least, not yet.
Hi my names Vince, im 17 and i have the same problem under shoulder above elbow, hurt when i move it hi or behind me, hurts when i sleep or inactive, when i wake up, i cant enjoy V-games anymore because if im not active it hurts, one relief i figured out if keep that arm active and it tend not to hurt, if you have the same problem,
if you find out anything let me know at ***@**** my brother made the account when i was 14 (jerk) now ever one will think im a sexfiend and i am not lol,
thanks sorry i couldnt help, but be active
In October, 2007, I developed an extremely sore throat, accompanied by an abscess on my tonsil.  At the same time, I found that I could not turn my head side-to-side, nor lift my arms forward, sideways, etc.  The Sports Medicine doctor took x-rays, which turned out so poorly, he could not determine whether or not I had a hole in my rotator cuff.  I was sent to rehab., whereupon I was told that the tissue in my upper arms was filled with knots, and that my shoulder joints were not frozen.  At this time, I could not lie on either side of my body, due to intense pain in my shoulders and arms.  Deep tissue massage was done for three days, at which time I developed a fever and lost my voice to the point where I could only whisper.  After two visits to my family doctor, the visit to the Sports Medicine doctor, three trips for rehabilitation, one visit to the emergency room where a swab test was done, two visits to two different ENT doctors, two different antibiotic regimes, one CAT neck scan and the abscess being opened, I could again speak, move my head in better fashion, and had increased motion in my arms.  I can not reach behind my back any longer, and develop extreme pain in the tissues of my upper arms at night, although I am able to lie on my side for longer lengths of time before pain sets in.  The upper arm pain occurs primarily when I am lying on my back.  When the pain starts, I find that I cannot lift my arm, and have to use the opposing arm/hand to lift and readjust the aching arm.  I am wondering just which specialty I should seek when looking for a doctor to diagnose my ongoing problem.  The strangest thing is the fact I had absolutely no problems with my neck or arms before the onset at the first of October.  The swab test done at the hospital was immediately after I had completed one session of powerful antibiotics, so I'm wondering if that would have been responsible for the negative results that the test showed.

If you have any answers pertaining to the above information, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

sorry to hea about your SX,
i do not have this problem,just happened to come across your post,
i am an xraytech and have seen many xrays with bone cysts,
there is a genetic disorder called osteochondroma  (bone tumor) it is a cyst that forms in long bones (femur,humerus,forearm,tibfib)   i don't know what kind of TX there is for it, but your dr can order a bone scan  

they usually occur in children up to adolescent, but if they start growing again after puberty, they usually become cancerous causing pain,

this disease can be hereditary

talk to your dr,i hope it helps
That's a very scary thought. To your knowledge, would it be possible for these cysts to cause equal pain and be in the exact same place in both arms? Also, I would think that the pain would be all day and not just at night if it was cancer. I can't get an xray because I'm pregnant, but will ask my doctor about it. Thanks for your insight.

I have found that forcing myself to sleep on my back with my arms straight has lessened the pain a great deal.
as far as i know they are in the same spot ,
i don't know about the pain,
since you are pregnant ask your dr to do an ultrasound
good idea. Thanks!
Is then busitits possible for a 86 yr. old patient with pre-diabetis, arthritis and atrial fillibration or is this bicep and shoulder joint pain (left arm) a sympthom of a stroke?
Went to my doctor and she tested me for Lyme disease, and did a sed-rate.  I don't know the results yet. I'll keep updating. She thinks it's most likely just a side effect of the pregnancy. It would be nice if it is temporary and goes away when the baby is born.-
Please keep us updated.  I have the same pain only its from the elbow to the wrist and I am also 4 months pregnant... And I also have a toddler that I pick up... wondering if it could be the cause.
I started with this problem in Jan.  Woke up in the middle of the night with pain in right upper arm and some numbness in fingers.  Woke up every night since with severe pain which eventually started in exact place in left arm.  Saw Dr. after Dr. and was referred to a Physical medicine Dr. who diagnosed me with Carpal Tunnel (thru nerver conduction studies) and recommended I wear wrist braces at night.  After six weeks of unbearable pain, I used the wrist braces and the pain went away the first night almost completely and has been getting better every day.  I recommend this to anyone who has not been able to be diagnosed...you can buy these wrist braces in any pharmacy...good luck...
can't believe i found this site - pain is excruciating at night - i have tried heat tonight i will try ice - desperate for relief - the pain started about 2 weeks - now the pain is there every night -
I have this horrible pain that started in my left shoulder blade.  Now it is in my whole shoulder and my elbows are constantly hurting.  I keep worrying that I have some sort of bone cancer as I don't have move movement in my left shoulder and my elbows are restricting me from picking things up.  I smoke, drink alcohol, which I am sure does not help, but I can't get any relief!  Icy Hot every night, but that does nothing.
so many people with same symptoms i have had left arm pain for years on and off and it does make you think maybe is it heart related in some way however for me i noticed this pain is worst when i am under alot of stress and i mean alot then the pain is very unbearable it does help a little when you massage it one doctor told me years ago it was stress related who knows , well someone needs to go one that show medical mysteries.
I have been a hairdresser for 35 years and in 2000 I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel. I wore the brace and it helped a little. I had the nerve test (which was the most horrid test I have ever taken) and my left arm showed more nerve damage then the right. The left hand in my profession is the holding hand, it never does the cutting, blow dring, manicuring, pedicuring it just holds what ever I am working on. But I have complete mobility in the left shoulder, elbow, hand, except for the thumb. In the thumb I had such a pain. The right arm and hand never hurt but would tingle in the night and the thumb on that hand would hurt. The first 'hand specialist' I went to immediatly gave me a shot of corizone which hurt like heck and did absolutly NOTHING except make the joint swell and become more painful.  He told me surgery was the only relief. I was leary of surgery and told him I was interested in options other then the knife. He told me to make an appointment for surgery, or don't come back. I didn't. The second doctor didn't want to hear about alternatives either. I was lucky enough to find a chiropractor who helped me with the carpal tunnel. By abtaining skelatal health it aleviated most of the symptoms. My massage therapist helped tremendously with massage and excercise especially for the affected areas. Then in 2004 I started having pain in my arm between my shoulder and the elbow. I felt it when I lifted my arm out to the side or above my head bringing the arm straight down to the shoulder. It did not interfere with my work until about 9 weeks ago. I couldn't lift my right arm. I went to my chiroprator and he worked on the shoulder. He thought maybe I had pulled the shoulder out of the socket. He gave me excercises to do. Nothing. My massage therapist thinks it's the three muscles that come togather in the middle of the arm, shoulder, bicept, tricept. He thinks they 'glue' togather over the years from repetative motion.I can't get comfortable at night and the pain wakes me up several times a night. I fear I can't keep taken Ibuprofens everyday (which it takes about 12 to take just the edge off!) I use a topical pain reliving cream, a deep heat and still I am in pain. I even bought a product called Miracle Balls from Elaine Petrone who was a dancer and suffered from the same type of pain except in hers legs.You lay on the 4"  semi-soft balls and release the fasha, which in turn helps the muscles work better. Although I find I can work longer periods of time with out pain, the pain at night is terrible.  I finally turned to the internet and found this forum. What the heck is it? why are so many of us suffering from this with no answers? I'll take any suggestions anyone has...
I can't believe I just found this site.  I wish someone had better news.  I have the same pain and can't sleep at night at all.  I do have a terrible pain on my wrist on the bone on the pinkie side.  My ortho said the xrays showed arthritis in my elbow and some in the shoulder.  I have had two shots of corizone and the pain on the inside of the upper arm has now increased almost as badly as the outter upper arm.  Please, someone out there must have an answer, there are too many of us.
I'm with you smgkim .And I too wish someone had better news. But here's my story. It's sorta long but am wondering if any previous conditions tie into this one.

I am a 56 yr young female. Who is a Christian and loves the Lord. Before all this occurred and even after some what enjoyed living, traveling, dancing, gardening, being with friends and family to the fullest. But now I do as much as I can do.

I had a hysterectomy at age 28 in 1980, when I went from delivery to the operating room because of hemorrhaging. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis back in 1998.But it wasn't until I'd broken my arm, my foot, and then a rib that this was found and since then it has only gotten worse not better. And I've broken more ribs. Even being on Calcium, Evista, Actonel, and Boniva, all at the same time.

Also at that time I was diagnosed with COPD( I burned my lungs with ammonia & bleach cleaning a camper in the winter) The more I had bronchitis the worse I got till I only got pneumonia all the time. But I smoked for over 20 years too, a pack to a pack and a half a day. Then they noticed nodules in my lungs and liver in 2002 or 2003 I think. Yes I am not smoking now.

Was sepses in March of 2007 and they found me to have I forgot what they called it but it was like an ulcerated colitis that could have leaked into my system. I also lost the use of my legs at that time and had to keep strengthening them so as to walk again. But I still can't scooch and just stand up. It's an all out effort.

But this all led to having an operation in August of 2007 as I was down to about 109 lbs. could no longer eat without vomiting and severe pain. They thought they were going to be removing 10 to 20 inches, but Praise the Lord (yes I believe in miracles) it was just a really terrible like strangled intestines from previous surgeries causing adhesions and scar tissue.

And now, well it started months ago with an excruciating pain when I went to reach for something. The type of pain that would drop you to your knees and definitely bring tears to your eyes. A gnawing pain in your bones and muscles. This led to pain in my mid upper arm once in awhile. This spread then to my shoulder, collar bone and shoulder blade. And then to my elbow and wrist on occasion. With sometimes numbness in my pinky finger and the one next to it but that only happened twice. Now is constant and still excruciating if I move just right. I am having this severe pain, at night mostly in my upper arms that even pain medication and naprosin won't take away and it is only getting worse and now it is in both arms. I have it in the day time too but the pain isn't as bad as at night. At night it is on a scale of 1-10 it is like off the chart around 20 and waking me several times a night. I'm a side sleeper who can't now and even on my back if my arms are moved just right it's excruciating.  I can't put on my bra or take it off by just reaching behind myself. I have trouble dressing myself; sometimes I can't hold a glass without the pain. I can no longer pick my 17 month old grand daughter up. I can only lift my arms sideways up so far or straight up or behind me. My husband and I have to shower together because I can't shampoo my own hair even. Even combing or brushing is an effort. And so far they are searching for the answer to this one. They have taken x-rays to make sure nothing is broken again. But leaning more towards an arthritic condition or tendonitis I think. I don't know but I'm not so sure. Personally I was thinking more bone cancer as my family is riddled with it but I'm no MD.
I do not have any answers for you.  However, hopefully, I can offer some hope...

I had the pain you describe years ago, except I described it like unto a screw being screwed directly into the bone midway between my right elbow and shoulder.  I had gone to the chiropracter often and he said he had no idea of what it could be.  I experienced it for years, yet for about two years, it receded into a memory.(Therein lies the hopeful part...it can go away!)

I tend to believe it may be originating in the neck because after weekly chiro visits for neck adjustments to no avail, I decided to experiment with different lifestyle changes.  What I ended up doing that solved my decades of shoulder and neck problems, was to use two pillows and sleep on my side in order to keep my neck and shoulders at a 90 degree angle while I slept.  This absolutely cured decades of pain, discomfort and adjustments-including my upper arm pain.  

Lately, I've been staying with my daughter...therefore a different bed and pillows and have begun to revert to tummy sleeping.  I believe this could be why my arm pain is returning.  Therefore, no matter the comfort level of the bed, I am going back to my two pillow side sleeping.

I feel your pain and your frustration.  However, I encourage you to seek an answer for yourself.  Try sleeping in different positions, whatever it takes.  I always think of the old joke about the guy who goes to the doc and says "it only hurts when I do this"...the diagnosis, stop doing whatever it is you're doing!

Same pain as most of you have described started about 10 years ago.  Have been to many different doctors and can find nothing concrete.  About one year ago I started sleeping a few more hours each night and found the pain had lessened greatly.  Now I am back to sleeping only 3-4 hours a night and the pain is back.  Cannot figure out what I was doing to get the sleep level up, but certainly wish I could....maybe diet, stress level or ??????.  Certainly know one thing:  less sleep = more pain.
I have this pain too.....in my right arm halfway up.  There is a lumpy area right in the muscle....and sometimes it feels hot and otherwise very tender.  At night it "heats up" and throbs and is extremely painful.  Lately, the left arm is beginning also.  About 12 years ago I had carpel tunnel in wrist.......though it was called DeQuervain's disease.  I had the survery and it has been fine.  But that was excruciating.  The brace did not help.  The casing around the nerve was so thickened it was putting heavy pressure on the nerve.  This is different.  Does not feel like a nerve thing at all.  2 years ago I had a heart attack so maybe it is related.  Circulatory?  The lump was in my arm before the heart attack.  Each time I have mentioned it to doctors......it gets brushed off as irrelevant.  One doctor told me to consult a rheumatologist.  I haven't done that yet.  I am being tested for Lyme's.  It is so mysterious that we all have this and doctors don't even seem to know what we're talking about.  Sometimes I think maybe it is osteoporosis happening in the bone but it really seems to be more in the muscle mass (though the pain feels "bone deep").   I is just so frustrating.    
I have a severely disabled 15 yr old child that is total care, so I have been doing a lot of lifting for many years.  About 6 mos ago the pain started in my L arm.  At the time it felt like it was the muscle or tendons, kind of like they had been strained or over used.  The pain continued to increase with night time being the worst.  Since then the pain is in my shoulder, collar bone, mid arm (between the shoulder and elbow), elbow and wrist.  My elbow is now very sore after typing or writing if it's not well supported on a desk.  Although it doesn't hurt to the touch.  My range of motion has decreased and I'm losing strength as well as the same symptoms are beginning in my R arm now.  I've had an xray which showed nothing.  Went to PT but wasn't getting better.  I had an MRI yesterday with preliminary results being mild arthritis of the AC Joint.  I have yet to talk to my dr.
I have had this pain in both arms ( much worse in my left) for many years.  Currently it is almost unbearable.   I do sleep on my stomach with my arm bent under my pilllow.  This is the most comfortable for me and the easiest position to fall asleep.  However, I soon wake up to horrible pain.   I have discovered if I sleep on my back with my arms straight beside me propped up on pillows I do not have as much pain and it is somewhat easier to sleep.

I was amazed to find this blog.  I thought I was pain intolerant or something.
I suffered with this excruciating upper arm pain for 6 months which kept me from sleeping, the pain was so bad I was almost suicidal, depressed and crying all the time.  Was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome which they said was causing the pain in my upper arms. The compression of the median nerve can cause pain all the way up to the neck and is not relieved by pain meds because it is nerve pain. I finally caved in and decided to have carpal tunnel release surgery in the right hand (even though the doctor said it was well advanced and may not relieve the pain in my arm if there is damage to the nerve). I am happy to say that the pain in my upper arm and the numbness in my hand is completely gone! It's been a long time since I was able to sleep all night, it's amazing, and no more wearing braces on my arms to bed which did little to relieve the symptoms anyway! I kick myself in the butt for waiting so long, I could have saved myself a lot of pain and suffering.  In a few months I will have surgery on my left hand. For those of you who still have undiagnosed upper arm pain, that feels like it's deep inside the bone, gets worse at night, is not relieved by pain meds, I recommend you see a doctor that will perform Nerve Conduction Studies to see if the pain could be from carpal tunnel syndrome. I wish you all luck...
i am having the same type of pain between my shoulder and elbow. It's only been going on for about a week but the pain is terrible. And just like all of you have said, the pain is the worst at night. i can't extend my arm outward at all, so i can't really use my left arm. I'm only 15, and my parents just keep saying that i slept on it wrong.
I have the same pain in both arms, the right tends to be worse than the left.  II think it is bursitis and on a side note, I have an autoimmune thyroid disorder and through my research, once someone has an autoimmune disorder, they tend to "collect" them.  They can also have arthitis and/or bursitis.  Just thought I'd pass this info along to see if it applies to anyone else.
My doc called me about my MRI.  Said I have insignificant arthritis and need to see an orthopedic doc for injections.  I hate being just blown off like that!  What about the pain in my elbows, wrists and shoulder blades?  It has been suggested to me by my PT and several others that the root of all the problem may be my neck.  I carry all my stress in my neck and since I have to do a lot of lifting (disabled child) it makes my neck hurt too.  I have bad posture ( don't keep my shoulders back and I hold my head too high) so this also causes neck pain.    I'm going to see a physical med doc next.  I can't take this pain!  I don't sleep because of the pain.  It makes it hard to cope with life especially when you have to work and try to focus as well as take care of a child who depends on your for their very survival.  I am also going to have the nerve conduction study as suggested, that's a very good idea.  
Yes, I'm suffering just like most you.  The pain for me feels like the muscle in my upper right arm is being torn apart and always at night.  The pain during the day is mostly a reminder that there is a problem.  I'm a bookkeeper on the computer all day and the cause appears to be related to how I sit at the computer and how much I reach when using the mouse.  My GP says this is very common, that my rotator cuff is inflamed (mostly likely not torn or damaged) and it could take a long time to heal.  My treatment so far has been:  once a week to physical therapy, twice a week to acupuncture, 600mg Advil 3-times a day and ice as often as I can remember. The physical therapy is minimal stretching.  It is the most frustrating thing but it does seem to be getting better - I've been suffering for appx 4 months, I still have pain at night, but it's getting a little better.
Has anyone ever had it suggested they may have fibromyalgia?
MY ARMS HURT SO BAD THAT I CANT BEND THEM ALL THE WAY

IT SUX BALL SAX CUZ I CANT SCRATCH MY NOSE OR FOREHEAD

PLZZZZZZZ HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AND TO TOP IT OFF I HAVE OSHKIN SHLAUTER IN MY KNEES AND I AM ONLY 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

MY BODY IS ******
I have this same pain in my right arm.  I am treating for fibromyalgia with Lyrica and it seems to help other pain, but not my arm.  Pain meds don't help.  I've had two major back surgeries in the last five years and have 3 vertebrae fused.  I think it is worse at night because I'm not distracted by work.  I am a computer system engineer for a doctor company (ironic, eh?).  I've been diagnosed with DeQervains disease.  I'm wearing a wrist brace to see if it helps, 2 weeks and no change.  I can't lift my arm above shoulder height.  Combing my hair left handed is tough.  I'll be anxiously watching this thread for suggestions!  I'm getting my second pillow back tonight, for example.
I am so glad I found this page,  I thought I was losing my mind.  This started all of a sudden a few weeks ago.  First I noticed not being able to move my hair from the back, it hurt my shoulder.  Now all of a sudden, the pain is unbearable at night.  I just want to cry and cry.  I have not seen the doc yet but will call on Monday, but from what I am reading here, I do not expect much help.  It is so painful at night, both arms between shoulder and elbow, excrutiating!!
I have had this pain in my arm in the same exact place everyone else here is talking about.  Sometimes at night the pain is so excruciating that I am in tears.  I cannot find a place to put my arm in that doesn't hurt.  It is strange that it's only when I lounge in a recliner or laying in bed when it hurts.  Sometimes it mildly hurts during the day but that has only been the last week or so.  I too never get much sleep.  

I had shoulder pain last year and my orthopedic said it was calcium deposits and a possible tear in the rotator cuff.  I never went for the MRI because I just couldn't do it.  I think I am going to go the chiropractor route.  He will send me for an MRI as well but I will need to take major valium to do it. (I'm such a baby!)  I don't want surgery, which is what the ortho suggested so he gave me a cortizone shot.  The pain went away but came back 9 months later and now there is no shoulder pain, it's the pain in my arm between the shoulder and the elbow on the outside of the arm.  I too also have a sore or tender spot when touched.

Sometimes when I wake up and the pain is so bad I can't even lift my arm, I get out of bed and I hear my shoulder pop.  Almost like it went back in it's socket.  But that has only happened twice.  I am not sure if it truly was out of it's socket or the muscles are pulling on the joint & maiing it pop.  I am just tired of being tired so I better get it looked at again!

I was taking my husbands celebrex and it seemed to sometimes work and sometimes not.  So at the risk of the side effects, I stopped taking it.  After I have the time to go to the chiropractor and/or get and MRI I will share my diagnosis...if I even get one!

I'm SO PLEASED that I found this forum!  I've had many of these same symptoms of burning in my upper arm and pain in my elbow and shoulder blade. And it hurts terribly when I lie down to try to go to sleep.

I also had the pin/needle test in my arm, which the doctor said that he had to stop because I couldn't stand the pain!

The good news is that MRI's of the neck, C2 to C6, of the elbow and arm, of the shoulder showed nothing abnormal except for normal aging issues.  (I'm seventy, so I'm on the Home Stretch of my life.)

A nice lady from Verizon who was working on my phone lines described to me the same symptoms and said that her doctor(s) diagnosed this as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and they operated on her wrist.  The operation was a success.  Her pain in her elbow, upper arm and shoulder went away!

I don't want to second guess my doctors, but at the same time, the constant pain, the resultant very high blood pressure (even though I've been on bp medication) which I think comes from the high stress of living with this terrible pain in my upper arm, elbow, and shoulder requires that I search on my own, like everyone here is also doing, for an answer that will work for me.

One thing about my doctors, they are very slow to move towards surgery. I used to think that was good.  Now, while I still believe that's good not to rush into surgery, after four months of this torture, I'm READY for RELIEF!

I'll keep you all posted on what the doctors, neurosugeons and orthopedic surgeons, decide to try next.
I have been experiencing this same pain in my upper left arm for about 9 months.  In the last month, it has also shifted to the right side.  I have slept with my arms behind my head for years.  With this pain, that is no longer possible.  When I do sleep this way, I wake up with terrible pain and have to use my right arm to lower the left.  I've felt very "brushed off" by my doctor.  He clearly has no idea what it causing the pain.  After reading this blog, I think I'll contact a neurologist and look into possible carpel tunnel syndrome.  I've worked at a PC for years, so this might make sense.  I've also considered that this pain might be caused by a herniated cervical disc which may be impinging  the median nerve.  If nothing else, I find it helpful to know that I'm not alone in my quest for an answer.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.  Good luck to everyone.
I AM HAPPY TO REPORT THAT AFTER FOUR WEEKS OF HAVING THE CARPAL TUNNEL RELEASE SURGERY IN MY RIGHT WRIST, I AM STILL PAIN FREE!!!!  NO MORE PAIN IN MY UPPER ARM AND I SLEEP THROUGHT THE NIGHT!!! The pain that was keeping my up all night was gone immediately after the surgery.  I still suggest that you have Nerve Conduction studies which are painless and only take a few minutes and confirm Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
I can't believe so many people have the same pain and so few have been diagnosed.  I have been tested for Rheumatoid arthritis and PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica) but the blood work came back negative.  I am having pain in all joints but the nights are unbearable - especially with the upper arms.  Last night I slept sitting up and had a better sleep that I have had for months.  It's difficult to do but I cannot believe what a difference it made - 5 whole hours of sleep!  Anything is worth a try...pain meds take the edge off but nothing stops it completely.  Hopefully, someone will come up with a diagnosis - I hope to be referred to a rheumatologist.
I was so fortunate to find this site and read all the comments concerning " my " symptoms.  It helps to know that others can relate to what I am feeling.  The extreme arm pain at night, that keeps me awake, is driving me crazy. I am 64 years old and never felt a pain like this, it is hard to describe to someone.  My family Dr. discussed bursitis and tendonitis. I am not sure I buy that.  Maybe it is displaced pain. I just want it to go away.  I have had x-rays and have an appointment tomorrow with an Orthopedic Dr. I would like to thank everyone for sharing.
I have had this pain in both arms midway between elbow & shoulder on the outside of the arm also a very painful to touch, with pressure in the middle of the outside of the arm. I have had this for about 3 months in my left arm & about 10 months in my right arm. Sleep at night is erratic to say the least, am going for blood tests in a weeks time so will see what developes
i also suffer from ocshkin shlauters how ever it's spelt, i got that when i started to grow because i grew very fast and i am very tall for my age and i am still growing, but i am strating to get over that after i have to to stop my sports but now i am suffering from arm pain above the elbow and below the shoulder and every where i go they cant find anything wrong and i am also only 14 years old it so stupid. :( i just want it to stop and go away.
pain as described was crippling me got to the stage i couldnt pick my head up off the pillow and loss of feeling in fingers and thumb. dr sent for xray of shoulders and neck within 3 days he told me it was cervical discs pinching nerves,arthritus etc but pain is caused by deep muscle spasms.he prescribed a muscle relaxant tablet (baclofen) and i took 3 per day for 2 weeks it eased off and did the trick. still have problem and have to watch how i lie down etc but when it starts i take the relaxants again for a couple of days.it seems i have a very clever dr who knows his stuff. hope this is of some help
                                 don
Ifeel pain in my left arm, its towards the outside!!!I feel pain in raising my arm and eve feel pain when I touch it!!!  My lef palm also pains!!!
I'm a 50 year old woman, with the exact same pain in my upper arm between the elbow and my shoulder.  But my doctor says my shoulder is shot to hell with ortho.  Ha Ha... How on earth can we all have the exact same pain in the exact same area?  My pain started with me holding my grandson, him napping in the fold of my arm.  Then one day I reached to remove the ladder out of the pool and I almost doubled over from the pain as I tried to lift ladder from water..God it hurt like the Bone was exploding....I'm at my witts end, pain is so bad I can't lift my grandson even to change his diaper..And believe me I know pain I've had 2 total knee replacements over last 4 years.. this pain is in the same range as the knee pain...10 plus !!!!!
Best of luck to us all.  Nana Sue
Best of luck to us all.  Nana Sue
Hello all,
Hope you people are finding relief!
I have the same upper arm pain, I'm 52 in good health otherwise. What a mystery all you have this, well I guess we are all human! I go see my doctor manana for my right arm and will post what happens. It looks as if from this group, that the nerve conduction study is the most prominent?
Thanks all,
Steve
I hope that some more positive results will be posted. My daughter who is 20 is having a similar problem. She just finished a course of antibiotics for an unrelated problem but has suddenly developed pain in her right arm that is continuous and very painful. Because she is a waitress she has not been able to go to work because she cannot carry any trays due to the pain. She also came down with a temperature and has been to the doctor 3 times in the last week. I am really hoping that they will get to the bottom of this. I think at least if we can find out what the problem is and the causes then we can deal with the pain and whatever possible treatment is prescribed.  This is a great site and I will be checking back to see how everybody is doing.  I will suggest that they test my daughter for carpal tunnel syndrome or some other nerve disorder.  At this point I am not sure if we should see an orthopedic specialist or a neurologist.  
Good luck to eveyone with your treatments.
CW
Saw your posting & know how your daughter feels.  I have spoken to many people with carpal tunnel & this is very common among waitresses due to the way they flex their wrists when holding plates/trays. The repetative motion causes swelling & pinches the median nerve.  If she is having any type of numbness or tingling in her hand/fingers, pain in the upper arm at night, she may benefit from using the wrist braces at night.  Unfortunately due to her job the problem is not going to go away but get worse.  She can relieve symptoms by changing her work habits and doing certain excersizes but with carpal tunnel, the longer you wait, the harder the recovery, and also the more damage to the nerve which could mean less than total relief even with surgery. I was fortunate, the surgery was successful, the excruciating pain in my arm disappeared immediately & I now have full use of my hand again after a fairly painful recovery & physical therapy & much excersizing of the hand & wrist. She should see a physical medicine doctor who can do the nerve conduction studies to confirm & then refer her to an orthopedic doctor...Good luck, I wish her the best...
I finally have a diagnosis and the treatment seems to be working after only 2 days!  I've copied below a description of calcific tendinities along with the symptoms.  These fit me perfectly.  After a coritizone shot in each arm on Monday, I'm pleased to report that the pain has signficantly decreased.  It took a little longer in one arm than the other, but today it's all good.  Mention this to your doctor...it's easy to identify with a simple x-ray of the affected arm.  Oh yeah -- I was convinced that the problem was in my arm because the most severe pain was between the shoulder and elbow, but this is symptomatic of the condition and that pain is now gone!!!

"Calcific Tendinitis is a disorder characterized by deposits of hydroxyapatite (a crystalline calcium phosphate) in any tendon of the body, but most commonly in the tendons of the rotator cuff (shoulder), causing pain and inflammation.

Pain is often aggravated by elevation of the arm above shoulder level or by lying on the shoulder. Pain may waken the patient from sleep. Other complaints may be stiffness, snapping, catching, or weakness of the shoulder."

I hope someone will find an answer here....good luck.
Your reply was most helpful to me.  I have had this excrutiating pain in my right arm (between the elbow and shoulder for about 3 months.  I have all the same symptom as desribed by everyone.  At about the same time, I started taking Calcium supplements containing phosphate.  When you described "calcific tendinitis", I am wondering if those supplements are causing this problem.  Anyone have any experience with this?
wow!  I am sooo happy I found this site!  I too am suffering with EXTREME pain in my left arm, just exactly like everyone is describing.  I've been fighting the desire to call the dr for about a month now, but it has become excruciating and it is 24/7 and I am to the point that I cannot function.  I've even considered the ER during the night, as it is completely unbearable.  OTC meds do not touch it!  I had carpal tunnel surgery on the other wrist about 15 years ago, so maybe that's what it is on the other arm.  I will try the wrist brace tonight on the left side.  But if this does not stop I'm going to have to put a bullet in my head, or if the side effect of my bitchiness doesn't go away my hubby will probably do it for me.  A co-worker says that muscle relaxants helped her with the problem so maybe a visit to my MD would help too.  Thanks to everyone who is writing on this site.  I have googled everyday for weeks and this is the first thing I've found that gives me a little insight.  good luck to all of us!
I also have this left arm pain above elbow on outside of arm  , but also over the elbow, and back of wrist.  Started abruptly about a month ago, and is only painful when I lift something, but is everytime I lift.  I kind of relate back to the night I slammed down a stuck window and pain shot through my neck and shoulder.  I thought it was muscle pain the next day, felt like sore muscles.  But instead of getting better, continues just the same today. It also feels stiff and sore to bend after keeping it straight down when carrying my purse.   In past I had severe pinched nerve pain in right arm and shoulder, which a couple months of chiropractor did clear up - that was a horrible unending burning down to my fingertips with tingling.  I cried and cried in pain.  This is different  and although bothersome that I can't lift my one year old granddaughter, not constant.  However, your reports have me worried that this could just keep getting worse until pain is really constant and severe.  I plan to talk to chiropractor and see what he thinks.  
I found this site last night and frankly couldn't believe my eyes when I saw so many people experiencing this problem.  I feel fortunate that I don't suffer any more at night than I do during the day - so no sleep depravation.  I would have been sectioned by now if that was the case - I'm not good without sleep.  But I feel my arm pains are getting worse and does now seem to be affecting the left arm as well as the right.  Are most people affected mostly in their lead arm - I am right handed.

It seems as if there needs to be some sort of way that we can all get data together so that we could work on some facts.  

Does anyone think that is a good idea and do you have any suggestions as to questions we could put to the group?
Wow, I have been dealing with this exactly for about 6 months.  It is getting increasingly worse.  I can't believe so many of us have the exact same pain and there doesn't seem to be a good diagnosis.  I have been searching and searching and just haven't come up with anything.  My pain is in my left arm, between the shoulder and elbow.  Much, much worse in the evenings and night.  I do drink WAY too much caffine, any links to that?  I will be checking back with you guys!
Thanks so much for the Internet - I won't descibe my ailment as you all have defined it exactly. I've been struggling with the same thing for months and many costly treatments to the Acupuncurist to no avail. I've been stressed out and not sleeping weel, and thinking I'm having early warnings of heart failure. I'm 66 yrs old and pretty active kayaking, rock climbing, biking, swimming , etc which all does not help - but lately I have been on the computer a lot which now leads me to this forum - thank god I'm not going crazy. (also aggravates the carpal tunnel). So young gamers and us older folks are not immuned.
The most common thread I see here is that it is the dreaded "Carpal Tunnel" issue - and will start a program of ice and IB for a couple of days to simmer this down, and then use the wrist supports. I'm not volunteering for surgery yet - but medical science has progressed a lot, but they still miss the boat on " diagnosis". One time I suffered over a year with a biking dilemma - a piriformis problem, and my PT called it right in about five minutes, maybe I should have gone to see him for this arm. My mom is 94 and keeps telling me it doesn't hurt to be your own doctor - so good luck to you all and thanks again!
I found this forum because I have been experiencing the same symptoms  after  evaluation my life syle and talking to a friend  we though it could be from aspartane.  I have cut out all aspartane for just two days and already im feeling much better,  just try it for a week and see if it helps  i think it has im not totaly  pain free but its  getting there
I have had these similar arm pains.  I am 30 and they have come and gone since I was maybe 22.  Painful mainly at night.  Used to wake me up.  I get to where it is mainly my right upper arm and it hurts the most if I try to raise it while my arm is bent, like if I had to take off my shirt.  I have to sleep with a pillow between my arm and body and it hurts to move the pillow at night if I change sleeping positions (I sleep on my side/stomach and, sadly, on my arms somehow).  I think this may be due to my working on a computer as my right hand has been getting numb, but these arm pains came long before I was constantly working at a desk.  In fact, one way I used to relieve the pain was to sleep with my arms behind my hed on the pillow, but once my hands started to get numb, I had to keep them by my side and below my heart.  I am so upset over this pain.  Just hoping there is a way to stop it.  I eat a lot of aspertame, I think, so maybe cutting that out could help.  But I mostly have Splenda these days . . .
I went to a pain management MD after not much help from other NDs. She suggests something pressing against the spine -- a tumor, for example, and advised an MRI. Although the pain is unbearable and only at night -- keeps me up, makes me cry, causes suicidal ideation -- the dread of cancer and PTSD issues keep me from going for the MRI. Have any of you been told to check for tumors? Also, I have had this pain intermittently for five years. Months go by without it when suddenly it comes on one night and can last for weeks, the most excruciating pain I can imagine. Then it subsides and comes back after another six months. Not sure what to do.
Like all of you I am suffering this same upper arm pain between the shoulder & elbow.  I am 32 and my pain started about 2 weeks ago. I've been hoping it would go away, not wanting to waste $ going to the Dr (and thinking he probably wouldn't know what was causing it anyway.)  It is upsetting to see that some of you have been suffering for years but like others I am glad I am not alone.   Last couple posts were interesting... I do have a lot of artificial sweeteners...I will cut back & see if it helps any.   Right now I will try just about anything...I'm sitting at work in front of the computer punching & rubbing my arm waiting for 5pm to hurry up and get here...  I don't know when the pain is worse at night trying to get comfortable in bed or sitting in front of the computer for 8 hrs.   Good luck to you all, I hope you find relief!
This is amazing.  I have the same problem!  Severe, persistent pain midway between my elbow and shoulder, right along the middle of the outside of my arm.  At first I thought it was in my shoulder, but by feeling with my fingers when it is really hurting, I have realized it is in my arm.  Feels like it hurts right down to the bone.  I can't lift my arm above my shoulder (in fact, it hurts every time I move my arm or my arm touches something) and it hurts worse at night.  I have had it for months and it is getting worse.  At times, I can do nothing else because the pain almost takes your breath away.  Pain meds don't help.  I have to sleep on my side, because in any other postion it hurts too bad.  I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrom (syndrome) years ago, and did physical therapy to avoid surgery.  I am on the PC a lot.  I don't use aspertame ... switched to Splenda several years ago.  I have also had knee replacements and back surgery.  The Carpal Tunnel thing makes the most sense to me ... it has come up in so many posts!  I am going to try my old wrist splint tonight and see if it helps.  Everyone, please keep posting ... maybe we can figure it out!  Did anyone hear back about the Lyme disease test?
I am shocked that so many people have the same problem. I thought I was making a big deal of nothing. I too have the pain in my upper arm between my shoulder and elbow in both arms(the right is much worse). I've only been suffering for three nights. I've slept on my arm wrong before and its not this painful and dosent last for days.

I am 28 and a hairdresser. I am also pregnant and have a 3yr old who wants picked up alot. At first I thought the pain was related to my pregnancy, but now I'm not sure.

I also have muscle pain in my back. My thought is that pain in my back is pressing on a nerve that is causing pain to shoot down my arms. I will be getting a deep tissue massage. I must be careful since I'm pregnant.

Curious to see if the ladies symptoms went away after she had her baby...
The same as everyone above.  Does anyone have a accurate DX. or treatment for this problem because I can't deal with it much longer and my doctors have been no help at all.
I have a very similar set of issues as everyone else seems to.  I am a 36 year old male, and this first started happening about 3 years ago.  It just came on all of a sudden - starting as a sharp but persistent pain in my upper right shoulder - kind of towards the back, at a point that seems to originate right under the shoulder/bone area.

It rapidly progressed, within a day or two, reaching my right upper arm (and remaining in the shoulder as well).  A few days later it reached my right elbow, and then a few days after that into my upper right forearm.  Never seems to get lower than that.  Eventually, on its own, after several weeks, it cleared up over the course of a few days, all on its own.

While it happened, I eventually couldn't take the pain anymore and went to the doctor.  They didn't really help much.  They took some x-rays and did some blood work to look for some type of disease (don't remember the name of it), and were able to rule that out.  X-rays were fine too.  I never had any MRI or bone scans done - but would have if they would have recommended it.  Anyhow, they put me on some muscle relaxers, but they didn't seem to help that much (no more than various OTC meds, which isn't saying much), so I quit taking them.

At no time is it ever sore anwyhere to the touch - its some kind of deep, internal pain, it seems.  I suppose it could be carpal tunnel, but I have no numbness anywhere, excellent motion/range of the hands/wrists, and the progression is always as I've listed it here, starting in the upper shoulder/back-of-shoulder then into my upper right arm and then into my right elbow and then forearm, and then some arbitrary number of days/weeks after that it subsides and disappears .. until next time, several months later usually.  

After it progresses, when its really bad I can barely lift my arm, having to use my left arm to compensate - that usually ends up making things worse, and in one case I ended up pulling muscles in my left shoulder/arm - that was no fun.  

It just started up again a few days ago, once again in my right shoulder, and has already progressed down into my upper right arm and into my right elbow and is starting into my upper right forearm now.  Its nearly impossible to sleep or to work (mostly computer work), the pain can be so unbearable and persistent, all throughout the upper right shoulder and upper right arm and elbow.

This time around I'm trying something a little different - throwing some special exercises in the mix to see if that has any affect.  It has, marginaly.  About the *only* thing that seems to help is to literally every 15-30 minutes to do about 30 pushups.  But that only works for a few minutes and then the pain comes back.  OTC meds barely help at all - I've tried nearly all of them.  I've noticed a cup of good strong coffee can sometimes help, but not always, and not for very long.  Aleve - nothing.  Ibuprofen - nothing.  Extra Strength Aspirin - marginal at best.  Excedrin - marginal at best, but seems more useful than the rest, but they all pretty much don't help.

I'm going to do more research on the carpal tunnel stuff, after seeing that diagnosis of one of the posters here.  But I was previously told that I didn't have it, so I dunno.  Some of the symptoms seem similar, and some don't.
Yup...I have it too.  Just went to the doctor and she kind of blew me off...said probably related to rotator cuff and told me to take 2400 mg of ibuprofen a day and "avoid the movement that makes it hurt".  My pain gets prgressively worse as the day goes on, but really isn't that bad while I sleep.  Definetly in mid-upper arm, painful to touch and there is a small lump.  Considered bone cancer, fibromyalgia and paget's disease or a pinched nerve.  Specific movements can almost cause me to black out with pain, such as reaching back and picking something up or simply picking up a 13 pound dog and putting her in the car.  Otherwise, the pain is a constant dull ache - primarily upper mid-arm but sometimes radiating to rest of arm and hand.  Will let you know if I come with any solution!   Do work at computer all day...more "mouse" work than typing.  Good luck to us all!
- jobe59
I know that a lot of my clients in the gym suffer from this pain as well as myself in the past. I was informed by my massage and physio therapist that it its excessive tight muscles in the upper trapezius, back and side of neck due to increased tension carried in the upper shoulders. Stretch stretch stretch is what I do and I am fine. On top of that I strengthen my shoulders ever 3-4 days and avoid ALL overhead movements ie. shoulder press.

Jen
I, too, am pleased to have found this site. About four years ago I got tendonitis in my shoulder/upper arms and thanks to physical therapy it improved though it could come back if I wasn't careful. So I thought what's going on now was related to that though it's much more intense and my left elbow is tender to the touch. It's not swollen or bruised though that's what it feels like. The dull, aching pain that is constant really gets to me and now it's on both sides though worse on the left which is the side my tendonitis was on. I blamed it on all the shoveling I had to do last winter but it never went away and now it's worse and winter is on the way again. It's frustrating because I love to garden and that means digging and moving bags of compost and basically using my arms which is now painful. My doctor seemed to think it was arthritis in my elbow and kind of brushed it off (I'm a 56 year old woman so I can understand why he thinks that but it's not the joint that hurts and there is no limit to the range of motion). It's the muscles or tendons that hurt so much. I have to sleep on my back with my arms bent onto my chest, otherwise the ache keeps me awake. But it's not really worse at night than during the day.

It's hard to believe there are so many people with similar, though not necessarily exact, symptoms to mine. I have been putting of going back to the doctor because my insurance is very limited and no longer covers physical therapy. Plus I don't want to be prescribed painkillers that dull my mind or make me feel strange.

I'll keep checking back in case someone comes up with something that works.
Pain in right upper arm/shoulder. For me it's in the wrist. got elastic wrist wrap concentrated on not using the wrist, used that hand minimally. Tough using computer with left hand.

I've had the pain in my upper right arm for many many months. At times I would have to use my left hand to help move my right arm. I sleep on my right side and thought that maybe that could be the cause. Several weeks ago I forced myself to quit sleeping on that side and now the pain is gone. It sounds simple but it's not easy to change sleeping habits. IIt helped me.  
I am 48, healthy, and active. Recently while working on a project on my houseboat, I began to have pain on the outside of my upper arm, just above the elbow. The pain seems to be deep, like it is associated with the humerous bone or the connection of the tendons of the tricep and bicep. The pain is different than most of yours, in that it affects me during activity, and not when I sleep. It seems to subside if I keep my arm inactive. Ibuprofuen in conjunction with 3 beers seem to soften the pain, but as much as I like beer, it gets really old pretty quick. I also don't wish to become an alcoholic, but frankly I dont believe I have that propensity. SO... with that said, I have read every response to this forum, and will continue to seek an answer. I have an appointment with my doctor later this week, and we will be discussing this forum and all of your stories. I also feel that there is something going on that your doctors are missing, and I will get to the bottom of this, even if I have to go to med-school to do so.
;)
Has anyone of you with these symptoms tried, or been on butazolidan (sp?) during symptoms?
I know it's a strong medication for arthritic conditions. I was on it before for tendonitis.
If you have a lump, then you need to find another doctor, because frankly, yours is a retard.
Check out this page:
http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/brachial-plexus-inflammation-arm-pain.html

This seems to point to nerve damage.
It certainly describes the structure better than most I have seen, and it should help us narrow the search.
DD
Sorry for so many posts, but I figure someone should benefit from my efforts. Here's a pretty good picture of the path of the radial nerve. I figure, at least in my case, my pain is directly associated with the radial nerve where it crosses the humerous directly above the outside of my elbow.

http://learn-self-defense.net/articles/radial_nerve.jpg
http://www.spine-health.com/video/cervical-radiculopathy-interactive-video
This shows the relationship with our pain and the C-5 & C-6 vertebrae.
Again, sorry for so many posts.

This article seems to further clarify upper arm pain based upon some pressure / pinching of the C5 nerve root.
http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/cervical-herniated-disc-symptoms-and-treatment

I believe I am pinning my pain down to this cause. I do a lot of computer work, and I have common neck pain at the end of the day. This arm pain may be a symptom of that condition, just taking it to the next logical step.

Good luck all.
DD
I want to thank everyone for their insight on this subject.I am 39 years old, I have been suffering with this problem for several months now. I didn't know what was going on with both of my arms, it was very terrible. I finally went to a specialist, he thinks it is "subacromial bursitis". I tried to tell him that I am not suffering in my shoulders, just my upper arms,but he insist on telling me that was my problem, a big  waste of money going to him. I am now on some anti-inflammatory medicine and some pain medicine,that doesn't work at all, just puts me to sleep. I wake up in the same situation, I appreciate everyone's insight on this problem, it lets me know,that I am not alone in this problem. It is hard to describe to your family, how you feel when they are trying to understand,so they can try to help you.Only the ones who are going through it truly understands what it feels like. I have to go back to that same doctor on 12/13/08, I am debating on going back to him. I don't want to spend the money, if he doesn't have an answers to my problem. He also suggested therapy, that is not an option,I can save money and do therapy myself. They (doctors) are all clueless to our problems,they are trying to stay a float with the economy going crazy, they (doctors)need the money. So they will keep guessing what the problem my be,instead of telling us, the truth and saying they just don't know. I am very sorry for what we are all going through, I will keep checking back to let you know if they find a cure one day. God bless each and everyone of you and stay strong !
I have felt this same pain in my upper arm.  It got to the point where I was up all night without sleeping because of the pain.  I went to the doctor and they gave me a cortisone shot but that didn't work either.  I then began physical therapy, my therapist told me I had tendinitis in my shoulder, the inflammation causes the muscles in your upper arm to throb.  After about three months of deep tissue massages in my shoulder the pain began to subside.  I would ice my should every night, 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off. Once the pain started to go away I began doing some simple exercises with a big rubber band.  Just moving my arm in different directions but with the resistance it was just enough to begin to strengthen my shoulder.  To make a long story short, the pain went away and last close to 3 years I now am experiencing the same pain again.  I am starting the same routine as done before and I am hoping this will soon go away.  I know the pain is unbearable, I hope this post helps someone out there.  
Like everyone else on here it seems, I googled the pain I was feeling and found this!  Good grief, it actually makes me feel better just knowing I'm not alone with this pain!
I'm going to try your 'cure' and see if it helps, then if it doesn't, I'll try some others.
I was and am reluctant to go to the GP with this, as I'm on enough pills already, if he gives me anymore I'll start to rattle.  Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and hope you're all feeling better and getting some sleep soon (me too!).
I wrote in Feb (18th) about my daughter's pain and the pain did go away on its own around the end of March and it was gone all summer and fall but now it is back -- not as bad yet buuuuut it is back and sleepless nights are starting == she is five months pregnant now and is really worried about this happening after baby  comes, also can't really take any meds either right now -- not that they helped anyway.  The nerve stories sound about right === but she has had all the nerological tests done too and nothing has shown up.  It was brought to her attention to go to an acupuncturerist .. so I think we will try that route .. what can it hurt !!!!!   Keep posting everyone someone is bound to get the right answer.

PTee
Have any of you noticed tingling in your finger tips, tips of your toes and lips? I have all  the same symptoms you all are describing except the pain is not usually excrutiating at night. I am wondering if whatever is causing it is also causing the tingling.
I have the upper arm pain too. When I wake up I can't rotate my arm because of the shooting pain!! The best doctor to see for this is an Orthopedic Doctor. I saw mine 2 years ago and he tested my muscles in my arms.

I was amazed that in one exercise I could not push up his hand with my arm (my arms were turned inward). He said I had "muscle atrophy". It is from the nerves (I have mild carpal tunnel).

He said I have to do a certain exercise, everyday, for the rest of my life:
You take 2 weights (or soup cans) and stretch your arms out (keep your arms the same width as your body). Then  rotate your arms inward, completely upside down and move your arms up and down. Do 3 reps of 8. It hurts and first, you might not want to use the weights yet. It takes a couple of weeks for the pain to go away.

I have not been doing the exercises for a few months and the pain is back so I was checking online to see if their were other possibilities. I guess I'll go back to the arm exercises.

I also found this site by Googling upper arm pain, and am so relieved to know that I am not the only one suffering arm pain!  I have been having arm pain between my shoulder and elbow for about two years.  It is precisely the middle of the upper arm that is most painful.  I couldn't tell for the longest time if it was my muscle that hurt or my humerus bone.  I have had an MRI, a nuclear med scan, x-rays, etc.  Nothing. Like all of you, I am very frustrated.  

After reading everyone's posts, it seems some of us are having similar symptoms, but not all of us.  I would venture to say that some do have Carpal Tunnel and it is just presenting symptoms further up the arm.  I don't think that is my problem, but I think maybe we should see if there are common denominators like somebody suggested about aspartame, caffeine, etc.

Maybe if we all post things about ourselves we will find the needle in the haystack.  So here goes:
I am a 50 year old female.
I drink about  6-8 cans of Diet Coke daily---so lots of caffeine and aspartame.
I type on the computer every day at work and many nights at home.  
The arm that hurts is my left arm---and I am right handed, so it is not the arm I use the most, however, I ALWAYS hold the phone in my left hand, and am on the phone at my job and at home quite a bit.  (This tends to make my arm hurt a lot.)
The pain is not worse at night---pretty much the same---which is a deep muscle or bone pain.  (Guess since the x-rays and MRI came back negative, it must be muscle.)  
I haven't tried ice yet, but heat only helps some.  Last year I wore the heat patches quite a bit, but only for an hour or two at a time.
Have tried Flex All, Ben Gay, and other muscle balms--only temporary help.
Have taken ibuprofen---again only temporary help.
I do take two meds for depression, but I have been taking them for awhile and don't think they have anything to do with this.  BUT, for the sake of all of us trying to get to the bottom of the arm pain, they are Effexor XR, and Strattera.
I tend to sleep on my right side because it hurts to lay on my left side because of the arm.  
One other thing that I thought might have something to do with it----when I am playing games on the computer---such as Spider Solitaire or Mahjong, I use the mouse with my right hand---but tend to hold the mouse cord up with my left arm so that it doesn't get in the way.  Maybe holding it up for hours like this is the cause---but I stopped doing this awhile back and my arm still hurts :(
I am interested in others' feedback.  Maybe all of us can figure out what is going on.  
Age doesn't seem to be a factor, as I have seen posts from 14 year olds up to 70's.  Maybe it is because all of us are active on the computer?
Anxious to hear----thanks!

Well, here I am also - pain in the arm, mid-way between my shoulder and elbow. I had no idea anyone else had the same kind of thing! WOW! Just as so many on this site have said,  it makes me feel better just to know I am not "alone" in this. My arm is KILLING ME!!!!! It really hurts a LOT. I have sat at my desk with a heating pad wrapped around it on several occasions. Yes, it is much worse at night - but it never really stops.

What are the exercises someone mentioned? Can you tell us what they are? How to do them? If they might help I would be willing to try them - I would be willing to try ALMOST ANYTHING if I thought it would help!

I have arthritis - so I am on anti-inflammatory meds every day. PLUS I take Osteo-Biflex (with permission from my doc) - and that helps my joints....but nothing seems to help this arm. I really thought it might be that my desk at work is a little too high and my mouse is on my desk (my keyboard is on a movable holder that I can put at the right height) - I really thought it was using the mouse so much that was causing the arm pain. My neck/shoulder muscles are always stiff and sore and hard as rocks....there is a lot of STRESS in my world.....but, even though I have moved the mouse down to the right level, so far, I can't tell a difference.

I'll be watching to see if anyone else comes up with suggestions on what we might try.

Also....is there a way to make the most recent posts come up on TOP of this site instead of the bottom?

Much hope - and many blessings to all who are sufferers of this malady.
My husband can't even type this, so i'm doing it for him.  Obviously he has the same pain as all of you.  Aliens???  It seems strange that it effects the right arm, with most of you here.  We're thinking it seems like Carpal Tunnel.  He has been a chef for over 30 years.  He had a heart attack this past Feb. & is only 49 years old.  Nothing helps the pain & especially at night!!!  It's VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!  I hope he & all of you discover what this truely is, & get help & pain free SOON!!!!!
P.S.  Rooti897...............you really should lay off the Diet Coke!!!!!  Sorry, but DIET in anything is not good for us!  Go back to the natural real sugar.  What was wrong with that in the first place?  Good luck all!!!!!
Wow...what a blessing to find this forum!  I thought I was the only one with this upper arm pain.  Thank you all for sharing your stories. Brief history:  upper right arm hurt; went to chiropractor, who said I had calcified tendonitis. He used an ultrasound tool on my arm to break up the deposits 3X a week for 20  min a shot, for a month--it worked.  A year later, I now have pain in the left upper arm, and have moved too far from the area where I lived--and thought maybe this too is calcified tendonitis, and have been using a massage tool that has two vibrating heads and heat, with a long handle so that I can get that tight spot right by the left shoulder blade on my back.  When I massage that spot, which seems to always be tight, then also massage my upper arm, I am pain free for a day or so. Maybe this will help someone..
Woke up this morning after a painful night of arm ache-age with a couple of thoughts:  first, thanks to ALL of you who have posted on this site; it is wonderful to know we are not alone, and not crazy--how weird that we all have the pains in the exact same place--and the second thought is about printing off these comments and highlighting specific comments when going to the doctor.  We are not nut cases, we are not making this up...thanks again to all of you :X
One more thing: I've been using a massager with two heads and heat, and worked that tight spot on my left shoulder blade; massaging the heck out of that knot--also massaged the upper arm--I use the HoMedics percussive massager, from Walmart...or walgreens, one of those places. Give it a shot--when I dig into that knot, then do my arm, I am pain free for a day or so...maybe this will help someone...
To help you rule out some issues, I am a 45 year old female with no health problems except this arm thing and I was diagnosed with MVP-a mild heart condition- a few years ago. I don't smoke, drink, take any prescriptions or use any artificial sweetners. I do eat too much sugar, have a sedentary desk job and am 20 pounds overweight.
I am so glad I found this post.
I have had pain in my upper right arm for about 13 months now.
It is halfway between my elbow and shoulder, on the upper or outside of my arm.
It aches and sometimes sort of burns.  It is 24/7, but worse at night.

My Dr says it's related to my neck, and won't consider anything else.
I have no health insurance so my choices are limited.

I had an MRI, and asked the Dr to have them include scanning of my arm, but they did not. (Paid for it out of pocket too) His instructions said "suspect C5 or C6, so that's what they scanned.
He did x-ray my arm and saw nothing like a tumor.
I can feel a kind of ropey/bumpy area exactly where the pain seems to originate, and it follows up my arm and around towards my shoulder.

I am at my wits end.

Anyone think ultrasound tell me anything?

Thanks and hope all of you find relief.

My husband has been complaining of pain in his right arm from just below hs elbow to his shoulder. he discribes the pain as shap and stabbing or almost a burning sensation inside his arm. I dont know how to help him. he takes tylenol or ibprophen and says it help while he's sleeping. He works as a tinner for a heating and air conditioning company, he say it hurt more while he's using the arm, to th poin where he can't use is at all. does anyone have answers? thanks so much!
***@****
I just spoke with a chiropractor friend Sunday after church; since he practices several hours from here, I could only give the symptoms of this arm thing.  He recommended activetherapy.com, then put in your zip code to find a practitioner nearby who will be able to help with what he called a nerve issue.  Said I would feel an improvement after the first session, and that it would take 5-6 times to fix things. I am so going to try this..my arm has been hurting so badly I can hardly use it. Again, thanks to all of you for your posts--it's great to know we are NOT making this up   :D
I've had the same pain for about 6 months.  I'm thinking it is related to my guitar playing.  It began this summer when I was playing for some friends for about an hour or more.  Then I did it again the next weekend.  I'm thinking that created STRAIN on the muscles there.

Also, using the computer and mouse all the time doesn't allow things to heal.  I played the guitar for about 30 min on x-mas eve (for the first time since this summer) and the pain has become excruciating again.  In the past I've had muscle knots, the kind where you need to push on them for like 30 seconds at a time for about 5 reps to break up calcium deposits that collect.  That helped eliminate a problem in the past on my upper back.  I've been trying that for my right arm/shoulder pain.  It's very painful giving yourself the treatment but I was taught to do it by my physical therapist so it doesn't appear that I'm hurting anything.  My pain is very much relieved the next day after I give myself the treatment.

STRETCHING your muscles is another helpful thing that I do. I've learned from my PT that people don't stretch their muscles enough.  You have to hold the stretch (no bouncing) for 30 seconds at a time.  The muscle fights you for the first 20 seconds and then it finally gives in to the stretch and releases.  
Had the same pain for few weeks now. Went to GP yesterday, she said it could be either bursitis, rotator cuff tear, or possibly carpel tunnel. She said it is difficult to determine exactly what it is, & it is a process of elimination. Having ultrasound next week to determine if bursitis or rotator cuff, & nerve stimulation to check for carpel tunnel. I have suffered numbness in my hands for some time, so I'm pretty sure I have carpel tunnel, but this is the first time I've had the pain in my upper arm, so not sure if it's related. I went to a naturopath today a she did Bowen therapy & Scenar (Self Controlled Energo Neuro Adaptive Regulator)  therapy on me, working on my back, neck, shoulders & upper arms. When I went in, I couldn't lift my arm to the side above shoulder level. After 30mins therapy, I could lift my arm about 30 degrees higher. I need more treatments, but it looks promising. Still not sure what the problem is, but she thinks it is stress related. I will still have my other tests done, but for everyone suffering from these symptoms, these therapies may be worth a try.  I will keep you posted, & good luck to everyone in getting some answers & relief.  Happy New Year to all!!
Unbelievable - all of you have eathe same pain that I am dealing with.  Mine started one morning when I got up and discovered that every muscle in my body ached - thought it was a virus.  After about 3 days, pain localized in both arms between shoulder and elbow with the left arm having the most pain.  Gradually, the left arm got better but the right has not improved - pain is bad, but have no numbness or tingling.  Primary care Dr. sent me to rheumatologost who took xray and blood tests.  He put my on steroids which has helped the pain a lot - hope I won't need them for long because of side effects.  Blood tests show an extremely low level of vitamn D.  I am taking a high dose for the next 8 weeks & they will repeat the blood tests to see what is going on.  Dr. said this can cause this type of pain.  Have any of you had similar low vitamin D problems?  I'll update when there is more info - Now that my dose of steroids has been dropped from 3 pills to 4, the pain is returning in the right arm.
Update:Had ultrasound done, which showed I had bursitis, & had cortisone injection into bursa. Not sure if it's helped at all, cos the pain was getting better after bowen therapy & scenar therapy anyway.  Had several sessions now with my naturopath, & I can now raise my arm to the side all the way to my head. The pain hasn't completely gone, but it only hurts if I move my arm in certain ways.  It has certainly improved though, & I don't have the constant ache, & I am confidant it will resolve completely after a few more sessions with my naturopath. I encourage everyone to give these therapies a go, as my arm is 75% better after 4 sessions. Hope this helps.  
I am a 54-year-old woman, diabetic (non-insulin dependent), in fairly good physical condition. I have been experiencing aches and pains in joints, as well as the same pain as everyone else in my arms. The pain began in my right arm about a year ago; the left arm started doing the same pain in the same area of the arm about 4 months ago. I used to sleep on one side or the other, with my arm curled up under the pillow and my head. My arms began aching so deeply at night that I could no longer lie on either arm with it curled under the pillow. I am not comfortable sleeping on my back, so now I generally sleep on my side, with the bottom arm lowered, and the top one propped on a pillow or two.

Although I have no problem lifting my arms, and I play tennis regularly, which involves a lot of overhead motion, I get a debilitating pain whenever I twist my arm the wrong way, generally also reaching back; the pain is very sharp, and the arm hurts so much that all I can do is let it hang for a few minutes until the pain eases up. (This is in addition to the general arm aching, which can nag all day long, and will generally worsen at night.)

Trying to rid myself of my multitude of aches and pains, I quit drinking diet sodas and using Sweet'n'Low in unsweet tea (which I now think also cut down on my caffeine intake, as I drank more water), and also stopped taking vitamins that have 18mg of iron in them after reading that, as a postmenopausal woman, I only need 8mg per day, and the body does not throw off the excess, it gets poisoned by it. All of these things seemed to help the various aches and pains I had. The arm problem now comes and goes, but I can generally now sleep on my left side with my left arm curled under the pillow; the right one, I can sometimes stretch out under the pillow while lying on my right side, but generally cannot curl it up.

Has anyone tried acupressure? I have a book that shows how to perform acupressure on yourself, and have used it for many other pains I have experienced. I recently tried it on my right arm during the night when it was aching, and the pain stopped enough for me to get to sleep (but not to be able to sleep on that side).

I have also noticed that it seems the more I use my arms, the less they hurt. Has anyone else experienced this? For example, after playing tennis for 3-4 hours (social tennis :-), my arms felt better than they had before I began playing. They had hurt a little at the start, but got better, to where they didn't hurt at all when I was done playing.

Oh, and I also began doing the weight exercise someone mentioned previously (arms turned inward, lifting weights). That does seem to help also.

I appreciate finding this site and reading all the entries. Several have helped me. I hope someone can find something that will help them in my experiences. I have an appointment later this week with my orthopedist, so I might ask him about my arms. But from everyone else's experiences, doctors don't seem to be able to help with the arm problem. If he does happen to have any useful input, I will be sure to pass it on.
I too have had this same pain in my arm.  It started gradually about a year and a half ago.  It wasn't too bad and seemed to bother me after I crocheted or did some knitting.  My left arm only and I am right handed.  Started getting worse a month ago.  Went to the Dr last week and she thought at first it was rotator cuff until I described how I had to lay and place my arms while trying to sleep.  She thinks it is in the nerves in my neck.  Put me on 10 days of muscle relaxers and Naperson (Prescription strength).  I was able to sleep better but the pain is still there.  Took the last relaxer last night.  She said it could take 6 to 8 weeks to heal.
I too am happy that I found this community. I hate to say what I thought could be the problem.  I do want to say I don't believe this pain has anything to do with carpal tunnel syndrome. I had carpal tunnel surgery last April.  My hand is fine now. My orthopedic surgeon in Flagstaff Az told me that they have discovered that carpal tunnel is an inherited condition and has nothing to do with repetitive movement like we have always been lead to believe.  I am leaning toward the nerve pain maybe from my back or neck.  The nerve pain from the carpal tunnel problem felt the same as this arm pain and is just as excruciating.  I have an appointment with with my GP tomorrow which is probably a waste of time.  I think the Orthopedic doctor is probably the way to go.
I've had this same problem for a long long time. I am 27 however I have had this since I was about 12.

Symptoms are:
Inability to raise the arm away from the side of the body without pain and that 'heavy' feeling.
When lying on your back unable to raise the arm up without pain and the heaviness.
Inability to move the arm forward directly away from the body without pain and heaviness.
There is no pain below the elbow.
The arm can be moved through full rotation etc if the arm is fully supported. (eg. I can hold my wrist with my other hand and move the arm fully - up, down and to the side)

Initially I got this in both arms when I was younger, however now it is only in my left arm. Over a period of a month the ache and pain gets worse until it is very bad, then gradually it will go away again. It can be gone for months and months then begin to creep back.

As far as I am aware - there is nothing to trigger it. I Don't wrench it at work, I don't spend a lot of time in front of a computer (certainly never did when I was 12), not on any mediaction, I have no allergies, not pregnant etc etc.

I have absoloutly no idea what this is or what causes it.

It is ALWAYS worse at night and if I am inactive during the day.

I had suspected a condition called 'Frozen Shoulder' however I have never looked for medical advice about this - I probably will now tho.

One word of advice I CAN give tho is for the pain at night. If you wake up and it is very bad, roll onto your stomach and drop the arm off the side of the bed (so that the edge of the bed is at your armpit and the entire arm is hanging straight down - doesn't work on a futon :P ) This should ease the pain while the arm is in that position.

for more on frozen shoulder:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Frozen-shoulder/Pages/Introduction.aspx?url=Pages/What-is-it.aspx
I began having the same symptoms just after the beginning of the year after shoveling snow. I thought this was the cause. I rested the arm, but after 2 weeks the pain was so intense that not even my left over tylenol #3 tablets from prior dental work touched the pain. I went to the MD who prescribed naproxyn, darvon and more blood pressure medication as my blood pressure had risen. I took one naproxyn and had such stomach pain I initially thought I was having a heart attack. I never filled the darvon as I thought my codeine should be just as effective if the pain is that intense. The doctor also told me don't do what makes the parm hurt. Two weeks later, I was in such pain I was suicidal. My husband tried rubbing my back and arm and located a point between my shoulder blades that was exquisitely tender. He located a chiropractor that day who did an adjustment which took away the unbearable pain. However, the pain still continues at some level all of the time. Heat helps slightly. I take aspirin, but I can't say it does much. When I turn my arm in just the right manner, the pain is so intense it brings me to my knees and makes me sick to my stomach. It feels as though my bicep is tearing or breaking the bone in my upper arm. I also have throbbing pain the travels down my forearm and gives a tingling, semi-numb sensation in my thumb and adjacent finger much like what one experiences when the feeling is returning to a limb after it falls asleep. I am still seeing the chiropractor, who has suggested a part of my problem may be related to carpal tunnel syndrome. I have also had one visit with an acupuncurist with no measurable result from the one treatment. I am scheduled to continue follow-up with her, as well.  I would love to find the answer. The pain in my arm is all I think about. My husband says I exaggerate, but I see many on this site describing the same pain I am experiencing. Could this be carpal tunnel?
count me in too, all the same symptoms. I see an ortho next week. I take ms contin (morphine) and oxycodone for pain of a broken tail bone too, and those dont make this pain go away.
I have pain at night in my upper left arm similar to what you described.

After I get up and active it disppears although if I practice or record for a long period ( I am a piano playrer) I experience discomfort ,but no real pain.

I am 82 years old and have diabetes but control it with diet and exercise.
I lift weights 5 days a week and can do moderate shoulder presses (130 lbs) but can only do flies (lifting weights overehead) with arms outsteched) with 10 lb dumbells withouf pain.  Strangely enough after a good workout there is no pain. But in the middle of the night it starts to hurt.

The pain is not severe enough to deny me sleep unless I don't seriously exercsize for a few days.

I have not been to a Dr. for 55 years and don't intend to start now unless I need a broken bone set or a bullet removed.

I do take a lot of vitamins and supplements to help control the diabetes and now wonder if I'm overdoing some mineral or whatever. You mentioned iron--very interesting.

Coincidence maybe but I injured that same right shoulder in a judo match 50 years ago.

Keep playing tennis and lay of the aspartamine. Try Stevia for a sweet tooth.

Love, Baaska

As anyone experienced the following symptoms. Pain in upper arm but not on movement, only to touch and also get tingling from time to time in fingers. Keep taking ibruprofen and pain relief, helps but returns. Went swimming but could not move arm in water, been told it is muscular but had it over 3 weeks now.

Pauly102
I can't believe that I have finally found someone who understands my pain!!  This has been going on for two years.  No sleep most of the time unless I get in a chair.  I have days where the pain is so excruitating that I feel sick.  I've not found any relief in pain meds.  Night time is the worst!  Putting on shirst,coats and the like is very difficult.  My range of motion is very much affected.  Doctors have not helped.  Need help desparatly.
Your relief at finding a site like this is soooo understandable--we are NOT crazy...I find that altering how I put on shirts etc. helps by inserting the affected arm first.  I have also been exercising both arms, and while it hurts at first, the pain is lessening as the arm is getting stronger.  If anyone wants to know what the exercises are, let me know and I will post them. I also take 3 Ibuprofen at night, and that has really helped.  This will not defeat us! :D
Same symptoms...so glad to find this site. Orthopedic Doc diagnosed  a frozen shoulder...said it was common in women over 40. I began exercises...not much relief and now it's the other arm. Sleeping with two pillows on my side allows me to get some rest. I'll be watching the posts, also.
Wow.  So many people with my symptoms!   I haven't gone to a doctor - why bother?!  They ignored me for a long time ("you're over 50 you're going to hurt") Then it turned out to be spondilolithesis and scoliosis.  I injured my knee running dog agility (clearly not a "sport" to a sports medicine doctor.)  So I didn't think they'd listen to anything this difficult to describe.  The sleeping on two pillows suggestion given by some one here works for me.  Six straight nights of no arm pain!!  To everyone, it can't hurt to give it a try.
I`m glad I found this info here.
I did injured my shoulder falling on treadmill.Now 4 month later and bone healed.I do suffer all night,every night.Pain is on scale 20 at night.
  Going to physio 2x times a weak.Hope one day pain is gone...
A torn rotator cuff can also cause this excruciating pain that wakes you up. My ex had it badly. He found only one solution (i would only recommend doing this under the care of a physical therapist!!!! ) He had to do deep push ups and hyper extend the shoulder. To do that he would do them on a living room arm chair. He put his hands on the arms of the chair and did a push up until his chest was as low as he could get it, (he removed the chair cushion too) this is an extremely DEEP push up.  He also would take a 3 pound weight and slowly work his straightened arm in a complete circle, starting with his harm haging down at the side, moving it straight back and rotating it around to the front, keeping it very straight, he did this several times a day for I think a few weeks.  He said it was horribly painful, but it did heal up after that and he had no more trouble with it.
I'm glad I found this site.  I have been having this pain in my right arm for about 6 months now.  I have tried to exercise, pain medicine (none prescribed by the doctor, yet) and nothing seems to work. At night I do lay with pillows to prop up my arm and it relieves it just enough.  I have been researching and have found nothing that seems to pinpoint the problem so maybe someone on here will eventually find someone who believes us and can help.  The pain now is starting to ache during the day while I'm using the computor at work.
I went to a new pc on Jan 30th for a complete physical.I am a woman 47 years old. Last May I began having pain from my coccyx (tailbone) while sitting. Went to my obgyn in Sept.and mentioned this pain. Also I thought I was beginning pre-menopause. She suggested I take Viactiv a chewable calcium supplement. Darcy 800 Aug12,2008 asked if calcium supplements w/phosphate could be causing the problem. She commented to joyinvt Aug 6,2008.His doc diagnosed Calcified tendentious,a disorder characterized by deposits of droxyapatite (a crystalline calcium phosphate) in any tendon of the body, thus causing the pain and inflamation (inflammation), same arm pain descriptions.I started experiencing the same symptoms you all mentioned,for about six weeks now. Deep pain in my upper left arm,some numbness down to my fingertips,pain reaching backwards,waking from the pain, last night my right elbow started aching,very noticeable today.My new PC sent me for a dexa scan(bone density),arm and neck x-ray, coccyx x-ray,and an echo for my MVP.
Also complete blood work.I just received a call from her office telling me I have vitamin D deficiency,have a review apt. on March 5th. also my cholesterol numbers are elevated. It is good to share our pain, and compare,looking for solutions. The above findings seem to be linking together, vitamin D helps the absorption of calcium,with a D deficiency, adding additional calcium could lead to the calcified tendentious.Pwallis,your dr. said the low vit. D can cause this type of pain.I'll ask my new pc what she thinks.She seems to be very thorough and determined.I have never experienced any kind of pains like these before. I think we may all be onto something.Will be back to post my results. Thanks everyone and God Bless. Donna A
.
,

.
Well, I sit in the FL sun for a good two hours a day, using 50 SPF after a half hour or so of unadulterated sun-age...plus I drink milk...hmmmm...not so sure it's a vitamin D thing with me, given all the sun I get...but thanks for the input, it may be so for other sufferers...
I am also glad I found this website.  For the past 3 weeks I have had upper arm pain in my right arm between the shoulder and elbow.  It's a constant ache, almost feels like I've had a shot in my arm.  It started with a sore neck so I obviously thought I slept on it wrong but the neck pain seems to have subsided but my arm constantly aches.  Nights are the worst, can't find a good position to sleep in and when I first get up out of bed the pain is unbearable.  I've been using ice, heat, ibuprofen but all of that works temporarily and the pain comes back.  I lost my job 3 months ago and don't know if it is related to stress.  I also sit at my home computer a lot and my posture is different then when I was at work on the computer.  I have tried different methods of sleeping and sitting during the day but it is not getting any better, but not worse either.  Hopefully it will just go away as quickly as it came!  The constant aching is getting to me though but maybe I'll get use to it.  It's nice to know that I am not alone with this problem.  I will keep watching the boards and hopefully we can all help each other.

PS - I'm from Minnesota so no sitting in the sun for me!!!
I read several postings about Vitamin D causing problems with arm pain and weakness. I have "googled" the topic to find that perhaps it's a deficiency or an absorption problem. I found this site...not an MD...but someone who has discovered the benefit of Vitamin D therapy. I believe it's something I am going to check in to tomorrow! Here's the link...it's interesting reading.
http://www.cfs-recovery.org/introduc.htm
Lack of Vitamin D Linked to Pain
Study Shows Limited Sun Exposure Has Health Benefits
By Salynn Boyles
WebMD Health NewsDec. 10, 2003 -- There is new evidence that small amounts of unprotected sun exposure could be good for you. Earlier studies have linked vitamin D deficiency with an increased risk for several cancers. Now comes word that it may also be a major cause of unexplained muscle and bone pain.

In a study involving 150 children and adults with unexplained muscle and bone pain, almost all were found to be vitamin D deficient; many were severely deficient with extremely low levels of vitamin D in their bodies.

I'll keep reading and post what I find.

Another Vitamin D article....
People with undetermined muscle/bone pain tend to be severely vitamin D deficient
MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL (Dec. 8, 2003) -- People with persistent, non-specific musculoskeletal pain should be screened regularly for vitamin D deficiency, the leading study in tomorrow's Mayo Clinic Proceedings reports. Research conducted at the University of Minnesota found that 93 percent of all subjects with non-specific musculoskeletal pain were vitamin D deficient.
A study of 150 children and adults at the University of Minnesota found that 100 percent of African-American, East African, Hispanic, and Native American subjects were vitamin D deficient. In addition, all study patients under age 30were vitamin D deficient. Of these, 55 percent were severely deficient. Five patients unexpectedly had no vitamin D at all.

Thank you so much for posting your research results--maybe it is after all a Vitamin D issue for all of us who hurt...we all have the same kind of pain in the same general area...the one study you mention in your last post included a racial breakdown.  Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the breakdown is with this group...I am caucasian...and will check out the links you so kindly provided.  Thanks again.
I also wondered our location, also. I am caucasian and live in the south. As I think back over the past three years of pain...it is only in the winter and early spring. I am a teacher and out of doors a lot during the summer. No pain during that time:) Going to have my level checked now. Let ya know what I find.
Thanks for the input. I will start looking for Stevia. :-) I have managed to pretty much stay away from aspartame and all other artificial sweeteners, as well as iron supplements, and have done much better with my joint pains and aches--they are virtually gone. My left arm is doing better, seems almost back to normal most of the time, but my right arm continues to give me problems (though not as bad as they were).

My doctor (new one; former one retired) took x-rays of my right shoulder. They showed that there was no calcium buildup in the joint, so that is one thing to cross off the list (my sister has that problem, but my symptoms were not the same as hers).

Yes, I will be sure to stay with the tennis. I love it, and it helps with any aches and pains. As another poster said, keeping active does help.
I returned to a different doctor after my attempts with a chiropractor, acupunturist and massage therapist did not result in any lasting pain relief. This doctor took a look at the exact areas around the shoulder blade which sent pain down to my fingers. He thinks I injured the rhomboid muscle used to elevate the arm and assist with breathing. Prescribed muscle relaxers, which were a godsend. They took the pain down to almost nothing. Now I do not need pain medication. He says that these pills, combined with physical therapy and massage therapy should get me back to normal in several months. He also requested an MRI to ensure there is no other problem. I now take aspirin as an anti-inflammatory as, after about 7 weeks of advil, I broke out in an allergic rash. Hard to believe that such intense pain could result in muscle spasms, but it appears that is the case.
Wow! You have got to read this article about pain...I really think I'm on the right track with Vitamin D3!
http://pain-topics.org/pdf/vitamind-brochure.pdf
Thank you so much for that link to Vitamin D--I read the article and it makes so much sense. I am gonna go out and git me some today! This could be the answer we are all looking for... thanks again :)
Hi all. Well i to have very bad pain from the shoulder down to the elbow. But the shoulder pain started very fast. I was turning the steering wheel on the car and bam..the pain was horrible. I to my Rheumatology DR (i have lupus) and got shot up..helped a bit..pain was still there but not as bad. Few weeks late while i was putting on a tee shirt...bam..again. This has been going on since November.. now the other shoulder and elbow are doing the same but not as bad. This along with the lupus joint pain in the hands wrists and feet,i am really frustrated. It wakes me up at night,but keeps getting worse as the day goes on. The pain meds do nothing along with my other lupus meds(steroids). I been going to Pysical Therapy for the past 4 weeks and the other day while she was doing range of motion...lol...bam..again. She even felt the snap in my arm. Im now on disabiliy because of the pain along with the other joint problems. Im having CT and bone scans of the shoulder done next week and hope they can show what is going on. (cant have mri  have a pacemaker) One of the things they are looking at is Avascular necrosis. will keep you posted.
I am also glad I found this forum. I have been suffering from the exact pain that most of your are describing. If got so bad I decided I had to do something so I started exercising with a elastic rubber strech cord device I picked up at a sporting goods store. After living with the pain for about 1 1/2 years I can see some improvement in just 3 weeks. It got so bad I could not sleep more than an hour or so without waking up, that is when I decided I had to deal with this issue. I was also diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency which I see has been mentioned here also. So hopefully I am on the road to finding some relief from the stabbing pain. I will let you know how it works for me.
Please try this!!!  Crazy Pain can go away....

I have the upper arm pain right now along with weakness. If I move my arm it shoots pain especially if I twist my lower arm. After reading all of these posts I am pretty sure this is carpal tunnel since I already deal with some wrist issues from photography and editing in photoshop. This pain is in my left arm though and I am right handed.

I always believe everything is related and if there hasn't been too much damage, that a natural cure can be had. ( I do believe in carpal tunnel surgery once the nerves are twisted ) First thing I noted is if my chair has been adjusted to where I am now holding my arms up stressing that muscle since tight shoulders and the neck all connect to the upper arm. I see a chiropractor and will get an adjustment today as this pain started last night and it's just like how you all describe. I am also being more careful about my posture and slept pretty good using a heat pad against my arm last night and flat on my back with those support pillows and a pillow under my knees. I found my old carpal tunnel wrist support brace and put that on too. No pain while sleeping. The muscle hurts to touch it though this morning.

Now with the extreme pain in the muscles...in that upper body area...here is a God saving possible SOLUTION. I recently ran out of a vitamin powder I have every night in warm water. Without it I don't sleep well and I get extreme pain in my shoulders, my neck and even the cranium muscles. It has been so bad a few different times that I called emergency rooms and cried in pain to where they thought I was a drug addict wanting the strong stuff. You see, the muscles were so tight they were pulling my bones onto nerves and making me insane with pain. I was seeing my chiropractor daily and started getting massage first but by the time I got to the chiropractors office the crippling pain would be back. Finally I asked him did he think this was a vitamin deficiency like leg cramps can be potassium linked....he apologized for not thinking of it sooner and said I was close. He told me that the combination is calcium and magnesium...2 parts mag to 1 part calcium. YAY!!!!

He carried  Natures Vitality http://www.petergillham.com/  
Natural Calm is the product that changed my life and I am hoping that running out recently is causing my muscles to tense up again like they have in the past. When I took this stuff the first time I doubled the dose to saturate my system and on the 4th day I was pain free and slept like a baby. I had not realized it had been about 5 yrs since I slept through the night peacefully and so relaxed. Sleep was the bonus.
http://www.petergillham.com/pdfs/Calm-Organic.pdf   I drink a tablespoon in warm water before bed and sleep within 15 minutes. If I run out, pain comes back usually within 2 to 3 weeks, this time maybe it just came back sooner is what I am thinking as stress is a bad trigger for many things. But this will help all of you in keeping your muscles relaxed and soft and ease your sleeping to get your health back. My son is a cyclist and while at his college for nationals he told me he didn't sleep well and his muscles were hurting from the events. I brought some with me so I would sleep well and not get my own pain and had him try it and sure enough he fell asleep within 15 minutes and the muscle was relaxed in the morning.

Read what the website says about magnesium deficiency....if you are stressed , your cells change and the pain comes due to what is happening with calcium and magnesium and your muscles.
I also have read that mucle pain is included in the hypothyroid smptoms which I have. It's all connected.
I have had these same problems for years now, Along with rotator cuff issues. The arm pain has been for about 20 years now. I use to complain that if I played darts my arms would burn. People would make fun of it. Well I now work on airplanes and have several customers that are doctors and surgeons. One day I was trying to work and both arms burnt from the upper shoulder muscle to almost the elbow on both arms. I asked the surgeon what is in your arm that can cause the burning. I am 38 and was almost in tears of the pain. It hurts to move and rest. this isn't every day but you can always feel it is their. He said after a few moments of checking my arms and questions that its totator cuff. possibly torn. I had a cycle accident at age 18. nothing broken just all torn up. I am self employed so no insurance or able to take the time off for surgery. I am going in the end of this month finally to see about rotator surgery. I am certain its related to the rotator. will keep you posted..

Lou
Well, I started Vitamin D last week, so it's been 7 days on it.  I've learned several things:  the pain has DEFINITELY decreased to almost nonexistent, I am not kidding.  I can stretch out my arm at my side at night in bed and there is no wrenching pain.  I can lift it from an outstretched position while lying on my back without using my right hand to pull up the left arm...plus I have more energy!  Made the mistake of taking the first dose with dinner---had a hard time falling asleep, like a good caffeine buzz without the jitters, so now I take it in the morning..it is working so far--thank you, Wendy40!!
This is my first post.  I too have the pain in the upper arm.  I'm 44 and somewhat active.  I first noticed the pain after my flu shot in the fall (Oct.) and I kept waiting for it to get better.  It may have nothing to do with the shot but that is when I noticed it.  I have also had problems with carpal tunnel and wear the wrist supports at night from time to time.  I have finally made an appt. with my PCP so I will let you know what I find out.
I use only hot pack on my shoulder by my good doctor's advice. I wonder why you used ice unless there is a swell or local fever. I am also streching my arm high by putting my hand to the wall in side stretch position, and try to lower my body to strech shoulder, and I feel much better after a couple of days. I can lift my arm much higher than before, which made a less pain in using the arm. In my case, MDr said I am getting it as I got old (52 yrs). I got this prob, a couple of weeks ago, after lying in bed for a week from a bad flu. My doctor said he had a surgery to fix this prob and very good now, but anyway it takes long to recover.  Kevin
Since my last post on March 11 the pain and soreness is greatly reduced. As I said I have been using a stretching band to exercise my shoulder with and also taking my vitamin D. The shooting pain is gone and I have been sleeping through the night. The exercising takes but a few minutes. If I find a way that I move my arm and it hurts, I use the band to exercise it that exact way. One way hurt so bad but after 4 or 5 repetitions the pain went away. I will still get some occasional pain but nothing like it was. If the prior pain was a 10 this is a 1 or 2, and I still get the occasional pain when sleeping and my arm is in the same position for a long period of time. Once I start moving it goes away rather soon. I am not sure if it is the exercises or the vitamin D or both but my pain has been  significantly reduced. So there is hope!
I am not going to hurry to fix it too much, because in general stiff shoulder problem takes time to heal. I learned first stage is the being freezing shoulder stage with pain lasting 1mon or 1 year, next stage is frozen stage with little pain, and then recovery.  My prob started just 2 weeks ago, so I will just endure the pain, but continue strech exercise moderately to get better shoulder mobility and less pain. I wake up 1 or 2 times at night, but if I sit on bed leaning wall or sit on a chair then I become ok. So far I did not take any pain pills.
  I feel your pain.... upper outside of the left arm between elbow and shoulder. I've been having this problem off and on about three years. I noticed it after a flu shot. I went to the doctor a week later thinking the injection damaged a nerve, but doctor said it was unlikely.
Other doctors have said it could be nerve damage, or a pinched nerve.. who knows.
I've also wondered if the pain was the result of a virus or bacteria from the flu shot or perhaps the enviorment.
  I did notice that the pain went away for a year or so after I saw a doctor who thought the pain was related to a sinus infection. She gave me an antibiotic and it worked. But a couple of years later the pain is back. I've tried antibiotics.. don't work---chiroprator... no luck----
   There may be hope. I saw a doctor today and she thought perhaps there's a linked with the lack of certain vitamins... I don't know which ones. She's also testing for lyme disease.
   I do think there's a vitamin D connection. It was sunny today and my left arm gots lots of sun ( vitammin D) as I drove. My arm did feel better.
  Blood tests results will back in a few days and perhaps there's a link... and a cure. I'll keep you posted.
In my case, arm pain and hypothyroidism developed at the same time. If I take a pill for thyroid then pain got reduced. So this thyroid issue makes the pain greater and seems to slow the healing process on my arm and shoulder which I overused from tennis. Now I take a pill for thyroid, but no pain pill yet.
hi iam pam! thank god im not crazy, for a little while i really did think it was all in my head! i hv hope know, i hv been hurting on and off for about 6 years now, same pain as everyone else have! but i hv hope i am goin to try vitD tonight, and hope like H--- it work!!!
I have the same pain. it was in my left arm for about 2 years, and now it is in both, very painful and wakes me up at night throbbing. aches all the time. now is starting to even effect how i move my arms. I also have mild numbness below my elbows and the pain is in both hands. I have had therapy on it, unsuccessfully, and still no one knows what it is. It aches and i feel i have to stretch my arms and hands all the time.
Like many of you, I was ELATED when I found this post and realized that others have been suffering with my exact same symptoms.  

I'm a very active person, I run and lift weights regularly.  A couple of months ago I noticed some pain that *seemed* to be in my shoulder, and I thought I had done something to the muscle while lifting.  I got a deep tissue massage which helped for a few days, but when I resumed lifting, the pain came back.  It gradually started getting worse, so I finally decided to seek medical attention.  But I'm a grad student and have very basic health insurance through school, so I was only able to see a nurse practitioner at my school's health center.  She said it sounded like bursitis and prescribed a Rx anti-inflammatory.  The Rx was extremely helpful, but once it ran out, the pain gradually came back, off and on.  And it's the same deal as many of you....in my right arm, between the shoulder and elbow rather than the actual shoulder; not painful to the touch but feels like it's deep within my arm like in the nerve or bone; doesn't keep me from doing stuff but is always there, is more noticeable with certain movements, and is worse when I sleep.

I went back to the nurse practitioner last week and she gave me a referral for an orthopedist.  But to see the ortho will be an initial fee of $250.  So much for student health insurance.  I can't afford that right now, and given all of the misdiagnoses that many of you have had, I'm not inclined to pay $250 to have a Dr. scratch his head and shrug his shoulders.  So, the nurse offered to give me another Rx, which I'm going to pick up today.  And I've backed off of a lot of the upper body lifting I used to do to just give my arms, shoulders, and back a break, which is hard for me because I'm used to lifting weights 4-5x/wk.  Now I'm mostly running, I do hot yoga once a week, and I have a total body weight training session 1x/wk with my trainer.  Still a lot of activity, but much less focus on the upper body.  

So in my Internet research, I've come across a lot of sites and posts that point to calcium deposits as the cause of such shoulder/arm pain.  It seems that the most common occurrences of calcium deposits are found in the shoulder.  From what I've read, it makes a lot of sense and seems to be very much in line with what I've been experiencing.  Treatments include ice packs, rest, anti-inflammatories, cortisone injections, and surgery.  The latter aren't options for me right now (don't want injections, can't afford surg), so I'm going to continue with the first few and see how it goes.

To All: Keep posting as you learn more and try new things.  It's really nice to have this community of people with similar experiences, and the information here has been extremely helpful.
Thanks so much for your encouraging remarks!  Yes indeed, it is such a relief to find a place where people understand. I was going to post this anyways this morning, so here goes.  I have been lifting ten pound weights (up from 5 pnds--woo woo!), arm curls, very slowly up then down, for a few weeks now, 2 sets of ten each...I haven't done any for a couple of days, and was in such pain last night I hadda take ibuprofen before bed, and it wore off in the early hours. Made me wonder if there were correlating factors here, IE moderate exercise makes the pain go away, and strengthens an arm that has become very weak, as I seem to favor it (well yeah! Moving it certain ways brings unbelievable deep pain). Yet you've laid off the exercise and that helps you.  Hmmm.  And too, a few years ago I had calcified tendonitis in my other arm, where calcium deposits build up in the tissue.  Their jagged edges rub into the muscle, causing the pain...lots of internet info on it.  This pain feels different, much deeper, but maybe it's the same thing.  At any rate, thanks to all who offer encouragement, especially that WE ARE NOT MAKING THIS UP!  :D
Actually, laying off of the weights hasn't necessarily helped.  As a matter of fact, I think you may be on to something, ElleDee7, because when I do lift or workout, the pain subsides considerably.  So I'm starting to think inactivity is what exacerbates the pain because I'm mostly in pain when I'm sleeping or when my arms are dormant.  Originally I thought that the pain was associated with the weightlifting, which is why I backed off.  But I think it was more that certain exercises (like shoulder exercises) tend to irritate whatever is going on in that area more than other exercises.  Push-ups actually feel great.

ElleDee7, when you had calcified tendonitis a few years ago, how was it diagnosed (x-ray?) and what was the remedy (cortizone injection?  surgery?  meds?)?
Hi, well, I've been going through all that has been described, the exact same pain, dr. after dr. and I finally found a physical therapist who told me I had thorasic outlet syndrome.  I looked it up and do have all the symptoms.  I had also been having a buzzing in my ears on the same side as my arm pain and this is a symptom in some also.  He has used the cold laser on me and I had relief in my arm within a day.  I couldn't believe it!  He is also using some electrical treatments and some very deep deep stretching.  He got me started with a massage therapist who works with thorasic patients.  He also taped me shoulder so that the muscle would be forced to stretch and that has given me relief also.  I know that not all who have posted will have this but it's worth investigating.  I have hurt for so long, about 2 years now and have had so little sleep that I am so amazed to be getting some relief!  He said it would take time but I already have a measure of relief.  I hope this helps some of you.
not sure if i have exact same thing, but i am going crazy at night.  its like an ache that is so deep and so painful that i am literally wandering around the house trying to find a way to get it out of my mind.  its in my left arm and starts in shoulder and stops about the elbow.  I am also having same pain in other arm just to a slighter degree.  i dont know what to do.  Doc is sending me for an x-ray and an ultrasound, he is thinking rotator cuff.  All i can say is it is excruciating.  I am also getting a small amount of the same ache in my left leg.  this is no fun at all.
good luck all
I went to my chiropractor, an excellent holistically-thinking guy who has such a gift for knowing what's wrong and how to fix it.  He poked around on my arm, listened to my symptoms, and told me about the calcified tendonitis.  He then used an ultrasound tool for about 20 minutes a session, three times a week, running it up and down my arm.  I could actually feel little sparks tingling in my lower arm and hand as the treatment progressed..apparently the ultrasound broke up the crystals, loosening them from the muscles.  After maybe two months, the pain was gone and has not returned on that side.  And it's funny about the exercise thing, because while I do not like pushups at all and do the modified ones--I don't think I have the strength in that left arm to hold me up yet--my arm feels soooooooo much better after doing 2-3 sets of 10...go figure!  I have resumed lifting the 10 pounders, doing slow arm curls, and noticed a decrease in the pain after two days back. Maybe we're on to something here...and to mize09, I will look up the thorasic outlet syndrome on google....and thanks to all for letting us know WE ARE NOT MAKING THIS UP  :D
I recently located a small lump closer to the front of my shoulder some months ago.  At first I didn't think anything of it, but now for about the last month, have experienced pain also midway between should and elbow.  Worse at night, but a constant nuisance throughout the day.  It goes on and off from feeling numb to painful, and never fails to wake me up mid-sleep.  I have a no pain tolerance so naturally it is really distracting me from I everyday activities.  Should I go to the doctor? Or is there any natural home remedy that might help?
Ultrasound thing is interesting. Is this covered by heath insurance ?  Did you also get message as well as ultrasound ?
Yeah, insurance covered some of it, but you can buy small ultrasound deals online, and do the therapy yourself.  Granted, it was a professional one at the office, but I have some friends who bought one for deep muscle therapy, and it only ran about 60 bucks..The ultrasound felt soooooo good...and I hear those work on cellulite too!!  Hmmmm..maybe I just do need to buy one!  ;)
I have this pain in both arms, much worse in my right arm. I have had three unrelated surgeries in my right hand, so I thought that had something to do with it, but, it doesn't. What I think you all may have is "frozen shoulder". I have been going to a couple of specialist's and am now in therapy for this. I don't have any pain in my shoulders, but, they say that the swelling around my shoulder is causing the nerve that goes down my mid arm between my shoulder and elbow to cause this extreme pain and it is horrible at night. I feel as though my arm will explode when I first get up in the morning.
   I really hope this helps everyone out. I was really afraid of what it could be, but I hope that it gets better now. They tell me it will last about a year. Look this up on the internet. Frozen shoulder. Good luck and hope this helps.
                  Lorraine

I just started getting the pain a few days ago.I had just bought a new very expensive bra and thought the underwire was poking into my arm.  I was on an airplane and was tempted to pull it off right there!  Went back to old undergarmet but still hurts.Feels like wearing a tight rubberband around arm. Keep pulling at sleeve to loosen it even when no sleeve there. Now swelling of arm ,very sore wrist (feels like when I had juvinile rhumatoid arthritis.) and my fingers are turning purple.  I live in the northeast,of swedish descent,love my diet soda,self proclaimed lactose intolerant, in my 40s ,have a lowerback injury that has had me out of work for 2 years (tried muscle relaxers for back but have severe personality change with them..of course I get the rare bad side effects) and recently found out I am pregnant.(There goes all thoughts of pain killers) From reading this it looks like I should check vit d,carpel tunnel rotater cuff,and calcium build up.The thought of a push up makes me want to cry but I will give it a shot.  Thanks for all the info.Keep posting!
Last night another big pain on the upper arm / shoulder, so I put the electric heating pad around the body part, and I could get a good sleep, but later it seems to be too hot so I turned it off and then the pain came back later.  Tonight I will try to set the heating pad temp a little lower and a long sleep.  Anyone tried this method at night ?
I am also considering to buy an ultrasonic massing tool, but I have to use gel on the skin so not quite convenient, so an electric heating pad seems to be quite good.
Wow sis, you have it pretty tough right now...but regarding the push ups?  I also get relief doing s-l-o-w arm curls with 10 pnd weights, 2-3 sets of 10 each.  I started with soup cans, then went to the Chunky size soup cans, then milk jugs filled half way, then 5 pound weights, then ten pounders.  Relief for me came with the heavier weights....hope this helps...and to v2kkim, the heat sounds good, I have not tried that, mainly because I am a Montana transplant to Florida and still not have adjusted to the heat here!  I'm trying to keep cool! :D
Has anyone figured out what the problem is?  I have the same pain.
doe anyone have a cold feeling in their arm that accompanies the pain-
In Jan I thought I slept wrong on my shoulder... Pain has gotten progressivly worse, and I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours... up ALL night- 1-10 pain scale... CONSTANT 8-10.  I am crawling out of my skin now!  I am going to an ortho dr. tomorrow, and am praying he can figure this out..
My pain started in both arms about 3 months ago.  It gets worse at night when I am trying to fall asleep.  I was complaining to a co-worker a few weeks ago about my problem and he said he had the same thing about a year earlier.   He said it got so back that it started to affect his job.  He asked me if I slept with my arms above my head.  Yes I do.  He said he also slept with both arms above his head.  The pain got so unbearable at night he started to sleep with both arms down at his side.  It took real work to change his sleeping position and was uncomfortable for awhile until he got used to it.  It took about 6 months but, he said he is completely pain free.  I have now started doing the same thing.  The pain in both arms has subsided.  I notice when I try to go back to my old sleeping pattern it starts to hurt really bad again.  Just a suggestion but, I am going to definitely try the Vit. D. I tried to open a jar of sauce the other day and the pain was excrutiating.  I didn't have the strength to turn the lid without it killing me.  Will let you know how the Vit D works.
My living room is cold like 65F which makes my upper arm more painful, then I try the special microwave heat pack then the pain almost go away for a moment at least. The heat pack has many small gravels in a strong plastic back. Before use I microwave for 90 sec then it becomes quite hot. After putting that on my upper arm or shoulder I cover it with a think clothe. The heat last 10 mins or longer. They claim the rocks emit good infrared wave, but anyway it comforts me a lot. I use it at the living room watch TV. Another thing is I raise the living room temp to near 70F then I fell much better, but in my colonial style home the 1st floor is mostly cold in winter or early spring in NY state.
I have been following this thread for several months now. I've had right upper arm pain between my shoulder & elbow, since around Aug/Sep of 2008, going on 8 months. It it worse at night, horrible in the morning.  I've tried sleeping in a recliner, but my arm hurts even more the next morning.

I went to my Dr., who said it was a torn bicep muscle.  Tried excercises, none worked.  Tried chiropracter & acupuncture both.  Some relief, but pain is back within a day.  

About 2-3 wks ago, I accidentally rolled onto my right side & slept on it.  Unbelievably, my arm didn't hurt the next morning.  Now, every morning, 15 min before I get up, I intentionally roll onto my arm & lie on it.  It seems to help the pain.  Has anyone else had this occur?  It makes me think it is a nerve pain instead of a muscle pain, but it's so strange that pressure on the arm helps. I saw something about accupressure treatment?  Can anyone tell me more about that?  Has it helped?

I tried to lying on the arm as you said.  Certainly it was good. I felt my arm got squeezed hard and later felt refreshed, like a deep massage and also seems to have some arm stretching effect. It was a good to know.
I posted way up at the top when I was in agony.  I am now pain free and back to me 100 %.  I went to a chiropracter first off. That helped somewhat but I still had all the pain at night. And no movement at all came back. My PCP sent me to physical therapy where it was determined I had 2 frozen shoulders. I did physical therapy for 2 or 3 times a week followed by hot moist wraps and I used a tens unit for pain.  And I found if I left the tens unit on for more than 30 minutes more like 45 to  60 minutes it helped more. It took several montha and can take even longer but I am now pain free and can move again.I pray this helps some. They were going to send me for shots at the orthopedic doctors office but I'd heard how painful that was and I chose to hold off on that. Glad I did now.

God Bless you guys,
Carole
Forgot to say I am in the Finger Lakes Region in NY state long, dark, cold winters.
For several months I was also on Lryca and naproxen while doing the physical therapy.
I was amazed to find this site and see that so many people are having this type of pain. Mine started in Dec 08 and felt like a pinched nerve in the back of my upper right arm. It got to the point of being excruciating and I went for an MRI of my neck. It showed 4 bulging discs which is causing the nerve pain down my arm. It aches through my shoulder and shoots down my arm to the elbow, occasionally it will also hurt along the top of my lower arm and numbness into the fingers. It also causes the muscles in my shoulder to spasm and feels like a big knot sitting on my shoulder that has to be rubbed out. Physical therapy provided some relief and I've had some luck with high doses of ibuprophen. I am still in pain but not as severe as it was. It is much worse when it is rainy or below 45 degrees outside. I notice the pain alot when I bend my head down or look over my left shoulder, it feels like a pulling or tightness in the back of my neck and shoots pain all down my arm. I have not seen a surgeon yet and do not like the idea of surgery unless it continues to get worse. Just thought I'd share my story in case your symptoms are similar, you may want to have your neck looked at. I know this is the worst pain I have ever experienced and doctors want to dismiss it since it is not an obvious wound and there are so many people trying to get pain med prescriptions these days! Good luck to all and I'd love to hear from anyone who shares my diagnosis.
My husband is seeing doc Tuesday for same symptoms.  Someone early on mentioned Lyme disease, well he was diagnosed about three years ago after being bitten by deer ticks.  Why would that be significant?
I heard Lyme virus can attack nerve system and joint of the body after several years after bite.
Thanks for the info on Lyme, but our doctor thinks it's nothing more than RSI from playing Wii.
So, if there's anyone reading all these comments; have you just started playing games on your TV??
I just happened onto this forum, and I have had this pain in both my arms and shoulders for about a year now.  I have not been to a doctor, but have decided it is something called "frozen shoulder", and it is most likely caused by unusual movements.  During the past year, I have played the WII games with my grandchildren and I have come to believe this has something to do with it.  I use heat, and ice to help with the pain.  Night is the worst, and sometimes hard to get comfortable, and move arms, why mostly at nite I dont understand.Hope this helps someonoe else.  
I think it's more uncomfortable at night because you're body is relaxed and so any 'extra' tingles or pain are amplified.  Your advice on how to deal with it is useful.  The doctor gave my husband some shoulder exercises to do to strengthen them.
I have been having right pain in my upper arm, forearm, elbow and my thumb on top and down to the part that connects to the hand.  I often have sharp pains and burning in my elbow at night.  My wrist doesn't bother me at all.  All I can self-diagnose is either tennis elbow or tendinitis.  I think it relates to picking up a heavy toddler on my right side.  I have been trying not to pick her up as much as much and/or picking her up on the other side.  There is a dull ache right now in my shoulder and I had burning and shooting pains in my elbow a bit earlier.  This seems to happen every night.  It is not extremely painful, just annoying. I go to the doctor on May 13th.  I'll post what he says.
DragDad, thank you for sharing your research. I just logged on tonight, but you hit the nail on the head for symptoms and treatment like mine. All, if you are reading this because of your pain, then please go to the doctor. Chronic pain and exhaustion gave way to depression before seeing an ortho specialist. I live in the San Francisco bay area and am fortunate to have health insurance. After 2+ years of pain and treatment for tennis elbow (which wasn't the case), I was referred to an orthopedic specialist for pain management. I was tested for nerve damage, which showed no nerve damage in my arms, but pretty severe damage in my neck. MRI results showed discs 5 and 6 were bulging/herniated and the nerve damage impacted my neck, shoulders, arms and hands, primarily on my right side (right handed). I take Ibuprofen, Lyrica, and have had the cervical epidural injections for the past year. Ice packs and heat packs do help alleviate pain and inflamation (inflammation) (wrists, fingers, neck or wherever) enough to fall asleep. Massage also minimized the occurence of muscle spasm in my right shoulder and migraine headaches. Advised from doc to take multi vitamin, vitamin D supplement, and Glucosamine HCl 1500mg Chondroitin Sulfate 1200 mg daily. Physical therapy can provide 1) posture tips to improve your sleep 2) exercises to use ongoing to improve posture and increase muscle, and 3) the heat wraps are wonderful to sooth your tired body, if you find you have the same issue. Any surgery should be your last resort. I have heard accupuncture provides good results. I may try that next...
I have had the same symptoms for about 2-3 months, pain between shoulder and elbow, sharp shooting pain if I move my arm a certain way, shoulder pain at night while sleeping. There are a variety of things that can cause this, pinched nerve in back or neck, bursitis, etc, but after doing a lot of research I found it corresponds very closely to a rotator cuff problem. You may want to google shoulder night pain, or torn rotator cuff symptoms to see how it compares to your problem. Rotator cuff tears and pain is very common and can be long lasting and difficult to heal, but if you do some additional research you will find there are things you can do to alleviate the discomfort and get healthy again. Hope this helps someone.
I have also been experiencing the upper arm pain described by many.  I was diagnosed with CREST (autoimmune disease) about 6 years ago.  Everytime I experience a new pain or other symptom I chalk it up to the disease.  However, now I know that this pain is not necessarily associated with the CREST,  I just went to a new Rheumatologist and their diagnosis was osteoarthritis.  I love that....when they don't know what it is they look at a 58 year old woman and blame so much on arthritis.  I know I do have some arthritic joints, but this arm pain is different.  Thank you for all of your posts.  I am going to try some of the vitamin supplements to see if they will help.  Since I am also going through Menopause many of your suggestions can't hurt....especially for a better night's sleep.
I hope all of you find help and relief for your pain soon!  My problem was diagnosed as adhesive capsulitis aka "frozen shoulder" as some of you have mentioned.  My pain is in both arms but much worse on the left (and I am right-handed).  PT was prescribed and I got two cortisone shots in the shoulder joints.  The dr. said the problem originates in the shoulder joint but the pain often radiates and feels worse where the deltoid muscle attaches to the humerus because it gets overworked and strained to compensate for the shoulder problem.  Healing takes time but more often than not, you do heal and feel better.  If you google frozen shoulder exercises, there are some helplful stretching exercises to try.  I wish you all the best!
I posted back in January about this same pain.  I have been keeping up with the posts here and decided to try the Vit. D and magnesium.  I normally take a multi vitamin, citracal, fish oil and glucosemin.  Live outside of Atlanta and do love the outdoors but am fair skinned so I wear sunscreen year round which I did not realize blocked the vit. D absorption from the sun.  I am happy to say that after 5 months of this pain that it is finally getting better since I started taking vit. D and the magnesium.  A friend also suggested B12 as this helps with the nervous system, I bought some today.  My doctor thinks I damaged the nerves in my neck.  I suffered from nerve damage in my right arm about 20 years ago but not near as bad as what I have in my left arm now.  It was from carrying too many at one time of those plastic grocery bags loaded down.  You can stretch the nerves doing this.  I am also trying to exercise my arms though I am not that consistent with the exercise.  I also bought a $70 pillow for sleeping, an Isoperfect.  The pain is there sometimes during the night but I think it is from inactivity, because when I get up and start moving in the morning it goes away.  I still can't move my arms in certain ways, can't lift my arm over my head all the way or hook my bra but it is getting better.

My sister had frozen shoulder, she is a diabetic and they are more susceptible to this.  She tried physical therapy but ended up with surgery.  

My husband has something called Shoulder Impingement.  He has trouble with lifting his left arm and has good and bad days.  At first they thought he had a torn rotator cuff.  I think this is the most common diagnosis.  When I first went to the doctor, the first thing she said was I think you have a torn rotator cuff until I told her that when I slept I had to put my arm in a certain position to get comfortable.  She then immediately changed her diagnosis to nerves.  Anyway, I have been giving my husband the vit. D and the magnesium and he said it seems to be helping him as well.  Its worth a try.  Good Luck to all of you!
I am glad to post better result of myself. My frozen shoulder was caused by over use from tennis and sick from flu etc, 3 months ago but now I feel much better and even working on home improvement project. My favorite treatment is hot pack use on the shoulder. When covered with a thick blanket and sit on a chair, the warmth lasts 15min.s easing the pain and even revitalizing my arm strength. I sometimes do that at night. Somehow changing arm position by sitting on a chair from lying bed definitely helps reducing pain and helps me going back to a good sleep. I apply my hot pack on a T-shirt not directly to the skin or on underwear, and in this way the hot pack does not burn my skin. I am not a salesman but I like my hot pack which has many small gravels in a durable plastic bag, which I microwave for 90 seconds before use. good luck to all.
I have a similar problem. I went to pour a cup of tea last night and had a terrible pain in my upper right arm. I nearly dropped the kettle but it seemed to go away immediately.
During the night i woke to really agonising pain starting in my upper arm but the pain radiated up my shoulder too a bit.
The pain was so bad I got my husband to drive me to A & E (not something I have ever done before - so the pain was very bad)
doctor said he thought i had torn 'something' in my arm but as i did not have a fall could not have broken anything and gave me cocodamol tablets.
i work 2 jobs, both office based and so am always on a computer. I have suffered from CP in the past but this seems a lot worse and in a different place. plus my Cp always stopped after i got out of bed.
If i move my arm about it seems to ease the pain sometimes but then other times the pain will cause me to double up when i move, its not consistant.
I have made an appt with my GP but earliest is next Thursday!
you may think I am over reacting after 1 night's pain, but I haven't been able to go to work today and I can't afford to not get sleep at night and be unable to work, i need to do something fast.
The pain killer the doctor gave me worked for about 1.5 hrs (i even took 2) and pain came back worse than ever. It is hurting now as I type so not sure how long i can keep going.
I googled upper arm pain and found this site. Its both reassuring and not to find so many people with similar problems.
i had my 46th birthday yesterday so am no spring chicken but equally, I'm fairly healthy usually.
interestingly I had a very sore throat and ear ache earlier in the week also on the right side and i think another person also had something similar too. not sure if its relevant though
if there are any doctors reading all these posts, can you shed any light please??? i already feel desperate and ready to cry and i haven't suffered anywhere as long as everyone else....please help.

Thinking it's kinda like gout, drinking more purified water cured my gout pain.
Arm/shoulder pain seems to be fixed by quit drinking coffee.
Switched to decaf a few years ago, cured insomnia.
Quit smoking and coffee about a month ago and in 2 weeks pain was gone, fell off the wagon and pain came back, quit coffee and pain about gone again now.
Also drinking more water, especially filtered water.
NO COFFEE????  {:~O   say it ain't so!  
Right Elle, drank coffee all my life, having withdrawls :-)
My right arm pain starts in my shoulder, travels slowly down to my elbow, and then into the wrist where it is mild.  The area between my shoulder and elbow has pain that keeps getting more intense as the minutes go by.  The longest it lasts is about 10 minutes, and the only thing that takes it away is an ice pack, using it at all three places along the arm.  What is weird is that it ONLY happens AFTER I have eaten.  It is excruciating at the worst, I am in tears and can't sit still.  Once the ice pack relieves it, there is no more pain at all until I eat again.  This has been going on now since 2004 - my doctor at that time said "oh, I don't know what it could be" and turned to his resident in training and said "what do you think."  He promptly replied "maybe it could be a triceps strain" and my doctor then replied, "yep, you're probably right."  That was the extent of my examination and diagnosis.  What could a triceps strain possibly have to do with my eating?  And how could my eating possibly have anything to do with arm pain?  By the way, I had a Roux-N-Y gastric bypass in 2000 and no I have vitamin deficiencies, etc., but can't find anyone in any of the bypass support groups that have ever had this symptom.  Any ideas?  I am confused - and in pain.
OK, now my back is hurting too. Left side lower back hurts to lift left leg at all, even to get in or out of the car. Co-codamol helps with pain but I am lethargic, spaced-out and itchy. I'm having wierd pains all down lower left arm too tho not too intense.
Still seeing GP Thursday so we'll see but I don't have a lot of faith in them, they'll probably say come back in 2 weeks if no better, (what is this magical 2 weeks they always talk about??)
I'm really worried incase its MS or fibromyalgia (my sister suffers and is always in pain) MS is worse though. Doubt the GP will even do any tests, but you never know I may be surprised
Came across this sight, I see I am definetly not alone with this wonderful al-ienating pain in the upper arm area.  I don't know about the rest of you's but I have given up trying to explain this terrible discomfort to anyone.  I just keep waiting for it to go away.....  Actually been on-going for the the past few years thus getting progressively worse in the last 5 months.  It was first diagnosed as arthritis in shoulder, bursitis in upper right arm and show of a calcium deposit.  Told to go home, live with it do stretches and Ibryprofen for pain.  Well last 5 months pain overtook all, sleep is gone, pills do not touch the pain.  So back to the doc, onward to MRI waiting for results, so called calcium deposit has grown double in size in a year.  countdown to hear what results and possible treatment may be.  So best of luck to the rest of you, I know I 'm feeling a little more optimistic that there may be some solutions around the corner.  So here's hoping.  Fingers crossed    
Well I have been reading a lot of the posts here and I really think it is a problem that can easily be treated by the so called doctors who are just not interested theses day. It seems to me all they are bothered about is to save as much money for the government as possible. Maybe they get a bonus for saving money???
I have the pains which make me scream in agony sometimes and especially when I try to stretch my left arm. I have not been to the doctor yet because I do get angry with them because I am sure we all know more than they do sometimes.
As long as your not dying then they don't give a damn.
But I think this problem we all have here is computer operating related and the way we rest our wrists and arms on the corner of the table as well as resting the elbow on the hard arms on chairs.
When I try to stretch my left arm I get very bad sharp pains from the shoulder down to the elbow and then after that it aches and aches all day.  The pain is sometimes that bad I have to scream and I normally I have a very good pain threshold.
I think next week I will go to the doctors and see what he has to say but really I think all of you use the computer a lot and I think it is a circulation problem and if not sorted out by getting aids such as wrist aids and mouse pads with soft cushions I can only think the problem will only get worse.
This is only my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone but can you all say that you are using a computer more than 4 hours a day?

I hope we can get this problem sorted because I know how bad the pain is.
I've had the same pain for about 4 months now, started just after having my gall bladder removed.  I have pain in my right shoulder radiating to my fingertips.  I had a cortisone injection (excruciating) 4 weeks ago and it did nothing, my specialist says I need to have another one.  He also said if this one doesn't work, there's not much more he can do, he is treating me for a severe frozen shoulder but he actually thinks it is something called Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (google it) and if it is, there is no cure only pain management.  I am so over it, I don't remember the last time I had a proper night's sleep, I am up every couple of hours with pain, so much worse at night, feels like my arm is going to explode.
I've found a few things that help - I have a pain that radiates from my rotator cuff (originally) and ends up in my bicep.

1. night time advil - not a long term solution, but works on the worst nights. Still, i hate taking advil.
2. thermacare wraps - the long term heat takes the pain down 90% for me.
3. using a good massage chair really helps loosen the upper back.
4. surprisingly, using an exercise ball at work also helps. no one should sit in an office chair 8+ hours per day.

hope this lessens the pain
Everybody on this "upper right arm pain" needs to look up
"THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME" on a health site like WebMD or Mayo Clinic's website.  It is tightening of the muscles and blood vessels in your upper chest, at the first and second ribs (from the top rib down).  I had to have a rib removed and some chest muscle removed because it was cutting off some circulation in my arm.  "TOS" caused me to have severe pain in my arm and shoulder, with numbness and tingeling in some areas.  It really isn't that rare, and there is some things that can be tried before having to have surgery.  The surgery helped a great deal, but since I also had carpal tunnel, and didn't get it fixed 10 yrs. ago when I had the TOS surgery, I now have recurrent TOS.  I am getting ready to go back to the Thoracic Surgeon that did my first TOS surgery, to see if he thinks it is recurrent.  I have it on the other side of my body as well.  So many of the symptoms you are all describing fits into the TOS symptoms.  Good Luck!
GiGi
Wow I can't believe so many people have this same problem. My pain is in both arms from elbow to shoulder and has been going on for years but is just recently getting worse. It is worse in my right arm because I am right handed. I have great difficulty also raising my arms above my head or behind my head. I have started to have less strength in my arms and also numbness in my hands/fingers.  I was a meat wrapper for almost 20 years and with the constant movement of my upper arms to wrap the meat I thought that was the problem but I haven't worked as a meat wrapper in almost 18 years. I am finding it more difficult to find a comfortable position to sleep in without waking in pain. the pain subsides some during the day but if i decide to knit, write, bake or anything that will cause repeated movement in my arms there is pain. Sometimes i use heat sometimes i use ice doesn't seem to matter which both seem to help a little but not for long. I take Aleve when it gets to be too much but don't like taking it all the time and it doesn't relieve the pain completely. I also have shoulder and neck pain and my husband always says I have a "knot" in the back of my neck this too I believe is from the meat wrapping job.  I would love to know of anything people have found to help them. After reading some of the many posts I am going to google some of the things mentioned and hopefully find some relief somehow. Good luck to everyone.
Viewing 1-200 comments: