Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Upper Arm Pain mid arm between the elbow and shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 201-400 comments:
It's nice to read all of your comments because I am yet another victim of a mysterious pain radiating from the back of my right elbow to my shoulder. About 7 years ago, they discovered a very small osteoid osteoma (bone tumor) on the outside of the bone, so small it could barely be detected on the x-ray and it was non-existent on the full body bone scan. Since then, I'm a broke young professional paying back student loans and haven't "done' anything else about it. But the pain is coming back more intensely over the past year. Especially when my arm is being held still to the side or resting on a desk when I type, or sitting still in a chair or at the movies. It is also painful when I'm trying to fall asleep, but to make matters worse, i have to sleep on the painful side to breathe because I broke my nose a while back as well. I know.. I'm a nightmare! The pain comes and goes, and it's not excrutiating, so i'm always placing it on the backburner, but I would really like to know if the tumor is in fact causing the pain and whether I should risk damaging my arm to get rid of something that might not even be causing the pain. So there's my story. I deeply appreciate any advice.
It does sound like you went in to remission but the tumour could be back.  If this is the case stop putting off seeing someone about this.  You really need to see a professional about this problem.  Good luck!
Hi all, found this site recently due to looking for an answer to what appears to the the same problem...pain in arms, couldn't lift them above my shoulders etc.etc.  At the time when the arm pain started I also was suffering with really bad right knee pain which looks as though it is going to be arthritis, still waiting on tests...but was given a steroid cortisone injection in the knee a few days ago....lo and behold the arms have improved by about 75% as has the knee....very strange coincidence.  So to all you people out there with this arm problem it might be worth checking out whether there is an association with arthritis and whether or not a steroid injection could help ease the pain and the problem.  It may not be a long term solution but the relief of being able to sleep at night and move my arms is wonderful ... it is early days but if I find out any more and if there is a connection I will post the information.  More tests being done next week so will keep you posted.  
bugsiewood
About 6 months passed since I got frozen shoulder. My treatment was the hot pack massage and feeling better.  Recently I had a motive to use my frozen arm for home improvement, like hammering, lifting the arm to hold and reach high ceiling etc, and luckly it was ok.  Looks like motive is also a part of remedy. I think I have to thank God.
I am 10 years into arm pain and today had my first Epidural.  We will see if that makes any difference.  I have had trouble getting Doctors on board with believing me about the severity of the pain as it is always better when I show up  in their office. At this moment I cannot tock the opposite side of my body, do some daily activities related to dressing, etc.  I have a great PT who believe me whe I say I hurt.  Currently out on disability as I cannot function at work on the high amount of medication I am taking, as well as I still hurt.  Best to you with arm pain!
Hi, I posted back in October and my pain had lasted about 6 weeks and as a last resort I stopped doing Yoga.  Since then I haven't had a single day of arm pain.  For me I think it was the upper body weight bearing poses, downward dogs and planks that were causing my pain.   Just wanted to share in case anyone else might have a similar cause of their pain.
hi. further to my comment on 13th June...all tests done, diagnosis..arthritis..have been on steroids and anti inflammatory meds for 3+ weeks and I am back to full health and movement.  Arm pain all gone, how wonderful to be able to shower and dress myself again... had a series of x-rays..all clear, had an mri..all clear, so arthritis it is, although for a while there as talk of possibly having polymyalgia but that has now been dismissed.
Had steroid injections in knee and both shoulders which worked almost immediately ...so for all those out there with strange pains..it may be arthritis...not nice but could be worse...good luck in finding out what is wrong...but keep pushing the docs. they do need a bit of a kick up the backside sometimes to sort things out.  I live in uk and to cheer you all up it is pouring with rain at the moment!! x
I last posted on 19 July 2008 about chronic pain in both of my arms midway between elbow & shoulder, to the point of not sleeping well & I couldnt raise my arms above shoulder height. Well I havent done anything to alleviate this but the pain has almost gone [ 99% ] and I can raise my arms above shoulder height, sleep is back to normal, its a mystery as to what caused this & hope it does not return.I feel for all of you with this condition but cannot offer any advice.

My pain got almost disappeared and began to play tennis, but I became a weak player. I can not hit as hard as before ..well maybe I have to keep stretching right arm more frequently. I am 52.
I've had the same pain since the beginnig of the year.  I thought it was my arm, but the MRI they took reveals my problem is on the shoulder just like my doctor had stated.  It shows that I have a 2cmm lambar tear on the shoulder and a cyst.  The doc says that the cyst was formed due to the leaking of fluid from the tear.  Injection of liquid vitamin B complex on the nerves helped for a while.  Then a cortizone shot also helped for a while, but the pain eventually comes back.  Therefore, I'm going for surgery on October 14, 2009 to repair the tear and remove the cyst.  I hope this info. is helpful to all of you, 'cause I know how miserable this pain can be.
I quit drinking the tap water here and drinking more bottled water, Pain went away almost entirely now. Same with gout symptoms in big toe.
Very hard water here think making coffee with it made the calcium/lime/whatever  more consentrated, over the years body couldn't filter it all out.
Chest pain can be caused by a clogged colon from eating the Stanard American Diet, which is mostly trash for the body.  in 1978 I went to Emergency Room for severe chest and stomach pains...they wanted to cut out 6 inches  of my colon...I said no thanks and went to the drugstore and bought an enema bag...2 hours of enemas cured my and I realized I had to become my own doctor and that means first of all eating mostly fresh, raw fruits and veggies...much of the med gang are frauds and hoaxers and drug pushers...I have not seen a doctor since that day in 1978...superhealthy at 73, my high school body...get natural health books...Green For Life, Greensmoothiegirl.com, books by Harvey Diamond, Arnold Ehret, Norman Walker, David Wolfe...every bite affects the body for better or for worse...every pill destroys health.

I'm fixing to make an appt with a dr about the pain in my upper left arm, so I made some notes to tell him. Following are the notes on my pain and possible causes.

Pain in upper left arm has intensified over the last week. Been going on about 2 1/2 months now.

Noticed tonight that tingling occured down lower arm and into fingers briefly while driving. Driving using left arm has become more difficult.

Severe headaches daily last 2 weeks.

Pain occurs when hiccupping, coughing, sneezing, swallowing, yawning, taking a deep breath, and just turning or tilting head.

OTC pain relievers don't work to knock it out, but OTC powders knock it down some. Took 2 hydrocodones Sunday night after 2 BC powders and 3 Aleve did nothing for it.

Neck will stiffen and "lock up" occasionally since approx some time in 1989. I have to twist neck side to side to "crack" joints to loosen or dislodge neck. Cause of problem? 

Doing research on Internet, came up with these possible causes:
  Brachial plexus? Herniated/bulging disk in neck? Tumor in neck/shoulder area? Thoracic outlet syndrome?
First, Merry Christmas to everyone--second, activity has totally helped my arm.  Lifting weights--we are not talking massive weights, just 10-pounders--then buying a kayak and getting out every day has taken away all but a smoodge of the pain.  In fact, when I don't exercise, the pain comes back in a few days.  Go figure.  So get out there and MOVE it, baby!! Worked for me...hope it does for you, too!
I've had bone scans and MRI's. There was a small edema found on a vertebrae, but  nothing concrete. I can't get dressed without doing it in stages because the pain can be unbearable.
Put on underwear, stop, for a minute, until the pain subsides
Put on socks, stop .
Put on bra, stop.
Pull on pants. stop
Put on shirt, stop.
I think my GP thinks I'm a hypochondriac. At least my Neurologist thinks something is up. She seems to be the only one who wonders
why I can't lift my arms over my head for more than a few seconds without breaking down in tears.
Anyone have any ideas?
I also have severe bone pain in my upper arms its almost unbearable.. for some reason it gets 95% worse when I'm laying down (can't sleep!).  I've been crying every night for the past 2 weeks because I'm in so much pain.  My Dr gave me Flexeril (muscle relaxer) even tho I told her the pain is not in my muscle it is in the bone so obviously it is not helping me at all.  I had an Xray done today so hopefully the results will tell us something so the problem can be fixed :[  I just want to sleep.
I also have the same pain between the elbow and shoulder, have been complaining to my Dr for the last 2 months, Hurts all the time !  I have asked for an MRI to see if they can find anything wrong it.
two days ago a pain in my arm between my elbow and my shoulder began. It felt like a sharp deep pain when I woke up and gradually went away as the day progressed. But here it is two days latter and the the pain will not go away I am worried
Drinking purified water relieves my shoulder pain and gout symptoms in big toe. 3 16oz bottles a day.
Hi I have had this same thing since Oct. Also when i lost insurace. Won't have insurance till this Oct. In the meantime doctor said probably bursitis, without any info to go on, gave me an anti inflammatory which did nothing. advil worked better and said will get X-ray when i get insurance!!!! In the meantime, I went to a chiropractor for the first time, as I would like to sleep without pain also, and after adjustment it seems worse. Maybe just timing but I'm kinda scared to do it again. I feel for everyone as mine hurts like hell. I even offered to pay for X-ray and he still said naw just wait. Easy for him to say. Steph
Same problem here.  I am 60.  In 2007 I reached out the window of my car to pull a parking ticket out of the airport parking gate machine and thought a truck had torn my arm off.  For a year and a half I couldn't raise my left arm above shoulder level without excruciating pain.  I periodically used 15lb dumbbells and occasionally took vitamins and minerals.  I have suffered before (in my 20's and 30's) with muscle pains and found by process of elimination that I was deficient in manganese.  The pains slowly went away and I have full use of my left arm.

Last summer I reached into the back seat of my car with my right arm and zappo.  I have now had exactly the same upper arm pain, outside triceps, when I try to reach behind my back or try to lift something, like a window, with my right arm.  A couple weeks ago the pains came back to my left arm, but went away.  There is no pain at all until I move my arm in the backward direction. When relaxed, there is no pain.  

I have researched the internet and found no proper explanation for these symptoms.  Carpal tunnel may be a possibility as I am on a computer all day every day.

I have not been consistent with exercise or manganese supplements.  I will step up my self treatment and see if this works again.  As you get older, assimilation of minerals,  adequate exercise, and quick recovery from injury become problematic.

Thanks for all the good information here, folks.  I've had pain in the biceps of my right arm for 2-3 months.  I regularly see a chiropractor for back and neck spasms; he's very wellness oriented.  The pain doesn't bother me much during the day at work, but I more frequently sleep sitting up in the couch/ottoman with my arms supported by the big sofa pillows.  I'm very encouraged by those of you who noted that the pain and range of motion improved, whether overnight or eventually.  Thank you!
I should also note that the "spasms" radiate down into my hand.  If you've had any related issues, keep me posted.  thanks!
three days ago i started getting deep sharp pains in my upper arms especially when i sneeze or cough anyone have any ideas im a little scared
I started to  have pain in my right arm below the shoulder.  Certain movements or sudden jerks and a sharp pain that lingers for 5 to 10 seconds.  I also can't lift that arm very far above my head.  It doesn't hurt to lift it it just doesn't go up.
i have the same problem i would sleep with my arm raised under the pillow and woke three weeks ago to alot of pain in my left arm between my shoulder and elbow i thought it was just from sleeping strange but three weeks later i am still in pain and noticed over the last few days my thumb on my left hand keeps spasming i am considering going to the doctor but don.t hold much hope for help or answers other than a muscle pub and pain killers
I, too, have pain in my upper arm.  Diagonsed as sub deltoid bursitis.  The pain started in March.  Not sure what set it off.  I have seen an osteopath, that has helped a bit in keeping shoulder moving.  My GP sent me off for Xrays and Ultrasound. (That's when they picked up the bursitis).  I then had an ultrasound guided cortisone injection into the bursa.  No relief at all.  I am now seeing an acupuncturist.  This has helped the pain somewhat, but movement is still very limited.  My trapezius muscle is getting a workout.  The pain is very evident when I am sitting at my desk, tucking shirts into jeans, driving, etc.  There is not a minute in the day when I am pain free.  I am a 50 something, fit and slim female...this is not the way I intended to be as I got older.
I have right arm pain for 4 years, numbness of the right thumb, first diagnosed as an acute brachial plexitis of unknown cause.  Did a course of steroids, pain meds, muscle relaxants with no help.  After 3 EMGs, 2 MRIs, I was diagnosed with 2 herniated cervical disks, C5-6 and C6-7.  I underwent an anterior cervical diskectomy, fusion, and plating 1 month ago today, had relief for 4 days.  My neck has never hurt.  Now I have gnawing arm pain that begins seconds after lying down.  I do not sleep.  Pain meds do not help.  I too try to lay on my side propped up with pillows or try to sleep sitting upright.  I am at my wits end.
I had pain in my left shoulder a year ago and couldn't lift my arm over my head and my chiropractor said it was my  muscle tightening after receiving an injection in it for vomiting.  One session with him and it was cured.
Now I have the same thing in both arms and I recieved the swine flu vaccine in two injections in each arm, one in October 2009 and the other in March 2010.  I started getting the discomfort in April and now it has spread to my elbow, wrists, palms and three fingers in each hand. My GP said its probably carpel tunnel syndrome as I am a trainee accountant. My chiropractor isn't sure what it is but I am due back for a second visit tomorrow. no real improvement yet. Now I also have a cramp in my right jaw for the past week and can't open my mouth properly to eat. I checked side effects of swine flu vaccine to do with nreve damage but it doesn,t mention arms and jaws. I'm 44 years old.
I'm right-handed, and my dull, chronic ache is located between the shoulder and the elbow.  I've described it to the practitioners as a bone ache, but no one has been concerned that my preliminary tests hint at anything, so nothing more significant or invasive has been done to pursue it.  Of course, I fear cancer.  Today while running, though, I started to piece some things together and have a new suspicion.  I notice it is similar to fatigue, the feeling, though that's not it.  Still, I wonder if it is a "carpal tunnel"-like symptom of my use of this arm almost exclusively for cell phone use and use of my computer's mouse and scroll buttons.  Seems my use of that kind of technology has gone way up in the past year or two.  Think on this.  Anyone else think there's anything to it?
I have had constant pain for the past six months in my right and left arm muscles - with the left arm being worse than the right arm.  I have been seeing a doctor for the last six months and the only solution he came up with is that it may be caused by the blood pressure medication that I am taking and has put me on strong pain medication 3 times a day (which does not ease the pain).  Each fortnight he changes my blood pressure medication to see if there is any change - there isn't.  I cannot see how changing my medication is going to help the pain in my arms.  Some nights it is completely unbearable and I wake up screaming with the pain.  I rub Voltaren on the arms to try and alleviate some pain and it helps a little but not much relief.  Any ideas of how I can get some pain relief please?
Seems I'm not the only one.. however the pain in my left (and sometimes right) upper arm has been going on since a fall 4 weeks ago, x-ray was normal, Chiropractor is fairly baffled and I'm begnning to feel like a hypochondriac...
I started having sharp, stabbing pains that started about halfway between my shoulder and elbow last April. It increased to stabbing pains all around the same radius in my arm (not all at once).  Then in July, I started having a burning sensation in my bicep.  Had numbness and tingling into my hand,  After 9 months, finally caught up to a doctor that said that my problem was that my arm did not heal properly after I broke it several years ago.  Had surgery on my shoulder to allow room for the nerve to pass through.  Numbness and tingling went away right away.  But pain is not. Doc does not want to prescribe pain killers anymore, but pain is terrible, sometime so bad that all I can do is writhe around in bed/on the couch.  Have tried glucosimine/chondrotin supplements - no help.  Waiting to try acupuncture, but would prefer if someone could figure out what was causing such severe pain, and not just treat the pain.
I experienced joint pains five years ago - it got to the point where I couldn't open a can of vegetables.  Talking to doctors, I was soon scheduled for carpal tunnel surgery.  Someone told me to eat orange peels, and for some reason, I decided to do it in the hope of avoiding surgery.  Ate them for about three weeks - little pieces along with the orange - and not only did the pains in my wrists (I had for a year) go away, but pains in my upper thighs disappeared and a pain I had had in my lower back for 10 years - were all GONE!!!  I hadn't noticed the back pain was gone until a few months later.  Altogether, it took 3 weeks to clear the pain in my wrists, another month for the thigh pains to dissipate, but never noticed how long it took for the back pain as I had gotten so accustomed to it. I just noticed that within four months or so pain was gone and it took something as simple as orange peels!  Upon asking a homeopath the cause of this he told me that orange peels contain anti-inflammatories for joints and sinews and that I could also have been lacking Vitamin C!!  
Plz stop using water without oxygen for drinking and bathing. Use the water from open well, river or ponds where the water gets enough sunlight and oxygen. The water from bore well is dead water and so as the water pumped from deep bottom of an ordinary well. Rain water is the best choice. The water in which a fish can survive 24hrs is good for use.
On reading through comments and complaints on pains in the shoulder, I discovered that I have a similar pain in the middle to upper portions of my left shoulder. The pain sometimes extend to the same left side ofmy neck. Can somebody advice me on what to do.
Ambrose
I'm 43, physically fit.  Over 2 weeks ago lifting a 30 lb box I felt a sharp pain between my right shoulder blade and spine.  For 2 weeks it was pretty bad, mostly sitting down and laying down. Very hard to sleep.  I noticed that my right arm is and hand are weak and my index, middle and thumb are not cooperating all the time.  Pain moved to my tricep.  Had thoracic MRI which was fine.  Right arm has become weaker and gets tired easily and starts to ache.  Durng the day I'm OK.  Still a dull pain in my back and sometimes my arm but I can tolerate it.  But at night...I wake up in excruciating pain from my shoulder to my elbow.  There is no position that will relieve the pain.  After I get up it still hurts really bad for 30 - 45 minutes but starts to feel better.  I have not had more than a few hours of sleep in almost 3 weeks and the pain was so bad last night I was crying.  Chiropractor now wants an MRI of my cervical spin to see if I have a herniated disc trapping a nerve.  He also said it could be a muscle trapping the nerve.  All I know is it hurts like hell and I think I'll go crazy if I don't get some relief and a good night sleep.  
Do u drink caffeine? Try getting off of caffeine for a couple weeks straight and taking some calcium supplements during that time. The pain could be caused by caffeine rigor.
I would not advise that you can drink water that fish survive in for 24 hours first of all! Please don't use those standards. Have you heard of the Hudson River in NY? Plenty of fish live a long time in there, but you CANNOT eat those fish. People don't even swim in this water!I don't eat fish in any waterways I don't know,m therefor, I also don't drink it! To be safe, please everyone, do your research before drinking just any water source outside!
Sorry orange, I addressed the wrong person, please forgive me. Veryu interesting about the orange peel thiong though. Will have to look into that!
I meant to address sprak and everyone who may think it's ok to drink water with fish living in it 24 hours.
And yes here is another one complaining of the same pain, between the elbow and shoulder. Can't even scratch my back but the pain gets bad. It's like the problem is deep in the bone. No massaging or rubbing, cream, deep heat. Iv tried the lot. If the doc don't give me sth for the pains I'll tear my arm out of it's socket and beat him with the soggy end.
hi ! im 35.had this elbow pain 3weeks ago. havent stopped till now. painful when i extend my right arm. same pain when i fold it back. it even hurts just to reach my face...do it very slowly because of the pain. have a hard time doing chores w/c i used to do sooo easily. im a plain housewife so the tasks i do may have triggered it too. weird...im left-handed but my right hand is stronger. the bone hurts + a few inches up & down that aching bone. must be that carpal thing or arthritis. been wanting to go to a doc but its kinda expensive.no card/insurance yet. pain relievers are helping sooo little. even the joint pill ive been drinking hasnt done much. :-( hmm..still reading on the posts here...im now on the december posts :-)
As with most of the posts, I've had intense pain in my right upper/outer arm.  It's normally not an issue except when I extend my arm or reach behind my back (as in tucking in my shirt) or reaching for something behind my car seat.  Then, the pain is intense...almost paralyzing!!  Sleeping is problematic, as I'll wake up when I roll on that side.
I had an MRI done, but nothing abnormal in the area was discovered.  
There has to be some commonality to all of us posting the same symptoms.  I started taking Lipitor (high cholesterol) about a year ago, and didn't really pay attention to the little twinges at that time.  I recently heard that Lipitor may cause similar symptoms, and when I asked my doctor (who never mentioned that risk, btw), he said it may be possible.  He switched me to a different cholesterol medicine, but it didn't lower my levels sufficiently....so he switched me back to Lipitor.
Now, I'm taking it upon myself to reduce my Lipitor intake to every 2nd day...in the hopes of reducing this discomfort.  A 45 year old retired semi-fit Army guy shouldn't wince when tucking in his shirt.
Thoughts???
hi ! i just wish i could get a transcription or... (dunno the term in english.ha-ha) for that lipitor med. hmm...wondering if there's something like that here in the philippines... yup, same pain when i reach my back or something behind me. now there's pain from left side of my neck down my back...hubby said it might be stiff-neck...its all connected ! i'll also try to read more about cholesterol medicine...i do hope we are all experiencing just aches & pains...nothing serious...great day & my God heal us all !
my arm couldnt lift up over my under arm and stiff neck and my shoulder muscle keep losing the meat and bone show as easy as wearing the shirt, and it so painful, have anyone have the same problem please share worry and have no insurance....
omg i too have so many of all the pains  you all are having...  Right now sitting here my rt arm elbow and wrist is killing me. Whats Wrong? Iam 40 and i feel like iam 80. I had frozen shoulder back in jan that was the worst pain in the world. It went away for a while but flailed up again a few times since then. It ***** going to see a doctor this week.
For the past 6 months I have experienced stabbing pain in my right arm between my shoulder and elbow. If I had to guess between bone pain and muscular pain, I would absolutely say bone pain. The pain is so deep, I can't massage it or get to the pain at all.  It seems to be a lot worse pre-menstrual. The more I try to rest my arm, the more stabbing pain I experience. I saw my GYN, he thought maybe it was rheumatoid arthritis triggered my hormone fluctuations or some sort of auto-immune condition. My bloodwork was negative for rheumatoid. Pain medication and creams are not working. It seems like it's getting worse every month my cycle comes. I had an ultrasound on my uterus and no endometriosis was found. Any thoughts?
I have been having a very sharp pain in my right arm between my elbow and shoulder , it started after I fell out of a hammock maybe a couple weeks later, I noticed it hurt mainly when I was putting something in the back seat of the car from the front seat but when I went to the GP DR she tested my movements and all was good, so I went to an ortho guy and he did the same and took xrays and found nothing wrong but siggested an MRI and that also was clear. at times it will be a stabbing pain that lasts about 20 30 seconds then goes away. and so far they can't find anything I am on an antiimflamitory but thats not fixing it either. hopefully they can find something to ease the issue. I have full motion , I can bowl, carry heavy items without any pain I just have to get it in a certain position which seems to vary like putting on an undershirt it hurt but putting on a pullover seater just after was fine. its driving me crazy I can't start a snowblower because that really hurts.
40 year old female having the same issue with the pain between elbow and shoulder almost seems to be in the bicep area. Worse at night, can't hardly lift it to brush hair or wash sometimes it's worse and I can't lift it past shoulder height. Nighttime is definitely worse. I am a stomach sleeper so it's not the sleeping position! No insurance at the moment either... Go figure! Any clues??? Anyone?
well at least i know i'm not crazy.  pain started in mid-upper arm, between elbow and shoulder.  felt like i'd been beaned with a baseball or something.  worse at night, bad enough to keep me awake, even to the point of crying, and i have a very high pain tolerance.  over the last two months the pain has increased, and i now also have pain in my shoulder, and down into my forearm and wrist. xrays showed nothing, had an mri done y'day, will have the results monday.  pain meds don't stop the pain, just make me not care that i'm feeling it.  
A steroid injection helped my shoulder but didn't last long. No more of those for me. I researched and the doctor failed to tell me there is a slight chance of Keinbock's disease. It's a very rare disease, affects one bone in me - my right lunate. My wrist is fused together. Anyway... I have juvenile diabetes and Keinbocks disease -2 of the higher risk factors! When I reminded the Dr. when he asked if I wanted another one, he was surprised and said, "Yes, those aren't a good idea for you, no more steroid injections". Needless to say, I'm changing Dr.'s. This pain has been going on for 1 1/2 yrs from a car accident.  My appointment I have to wait a month for, but what's 1 more month... It is my left shoulder, can't do much with it and when I go to bed I have to lay on my right side and gently drape my left arm over a couple pillows(not on back, stomach or bad shoulder side).... so hard to lay down! I'm too young for this!!!
I have had similar pain mostly in my right arm but a little in my left. The pain sounds very similar, in the middle is most painful but I do find it does run down my arm at times and effects my fingers. I had this also while I was recently pregnant and Doctors concluded baby was on a nerve. The pain is very hard to deal with. Another symptom that I have had was a tearing sensation when I would reach for something this tearing feeling was felt in the inner arm where it bends. I ignored it thinking it was just my skin stretching as I gained so much weight with my pregnancy. Anyone else feel this tearing sensation?
I have had upper arm pain in my right arm for several months.  It started as minor but has gotten worse.  It's hard to dress myself.  I am 58.  I decided to re-join the Y, to swim laps.  I used to swim laps regularly.  I haven't been in over a year.  Well, I went 2 days in a row, and the next day, the pain was excruciating.  Went to my doctor the next day - they did x-ray, they were fine.  She thinks it could be bursitis - gave me a prescription for some high powered "Aleve" type drug - it did nothing.  Then changed it to a high powered ibuprofen. It helps a little.  She said if it's not better, she's sending me to an orthopaedic doctor.  It's a little better today - I'm just wondering about "gout".  Any thoughts?
I've had terrible pains in my upper arms, shoulders and hips for the past few months. It was alomst impossible to dress myself, get out of bed or off the toilet. I dreaded going to bed as the pain always got worse. After numerous trips to my GP I was referred to a rheumotologist. By this time all I did was cry and nothing helped the pain.
The rheumo did extensive blood work and my sed rate came back sky high. This is a sign of inflamation (inflammation). I've been diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica, better known as PMR. I've been taking a steriod called Prednisone for two weeks now and the pain has improved to the point where I can function but still in some pain. Please google PMR and see if it describes your symptoms. I thought I was going crazy until I finally found a doctor who knew what she was doing. I hope this helps although I don't wish this syndrome on anyone, as it will most likely be for the rest of my life.
I have been having extremely bad pain in my upper arm, between shoulder and the elbow. I have had x rays, mri, steriods, cort. shots, nothing works.  Last year i had the same pain in the other arm and one day it just went away.  There was no traum to either arm, the pain just came out of nowhere, My motion is very limited, plus activity is almost none, My arm hurts after very little activity.  If i push myself and do somthing, i pay for it later that day and into the next day, the pain is that bad i cry. Doctors dont seem to know what to do or what it is, i think they think i am making this all up.  Wish i could cut off the arm and give it to them for a day and let them see i am not nuts.
WOW, a lot of us have the same problem. I've had arm/biceps pains for over four years now and have noticed that it is worse in colder weather.  As I live in Australia and we're only a couple of months out from winter, I'm not looking forward to the next six months.  I've seen two different doctors and had blood tests from both (for suspected polymyalgia) - they came back "negative", but I've read somewhere that blood tests are not generally reliable.  I do a lot of work on a computer and wondered if perhaps my pains could be related to this.  It is worse when I work on my PC than it is on my laptop.
Cheers,
Same here... 40 yr old female. arm pain between shoulder and elbow. severe at night. throbbing/aching/knife piercing pain. i work on a computer a lot. do you think that's my problem?  the pain is spreading to my collar bones and below my elbow.  went for x-ray today and ortho on monday. i'm going to try and clean up my diet, cut out caffeine, drink more water, add vitamin supplements and hope for the best.  i've found motrin pm to be very helpful for the pain at night.  the pain used to keep me up all night but now i can sleep ok with 1 pill before i go to bed.  

i'll try to keep you posted. i'd love it if someone would post a cure or diagnosis!!!  
forgot to mention, although i feel bad there are so many others with the same pain, i'm so relived there are so many with the same pain.  i've been fearing bone cancer....
Wow, I am not alone. My arm pain has been about 3 years. Ignored it at first as was a caregiver that did a lot of lifting people in a hoyer, and it was tolerable. This past year it started feeling like a lightening bolt mid-arm whenever I moved it past mid-body in any direction. Then the night pain started. It is excruciating and I have been reduced to tears. I have a very high pain tolerance and I don't think my children (18-24) had ever seen me cry in pain, ever! At this point I went to the doctor. X-ray showed minor (so they say) bone spurs and a couple small tendon tears. Nothing that should be causing this much pain. (Yeah I make this pain up because I don't have better things to do???") After weeks of little to none sleep, I went back IN TEARS to the ortho. He suggested cortisone. I made it clear I am highly sensitive to everything and am also very small, so maybe lower the dose. I lost 10 pounds in 12 days and 14 total down to 87 pounds. My adrenal glands were messed up, my thyroid, suddenly I am "severe" osteo ( I ran the Vegas Rock and Roll Half Marathon just weeks before this shot with my arm in a sling) instant menapause, and optical nerve damage (have lost night vision, peripheral and depth perception)...I was given a dose 4 times the FDA suggested amount for a local. The shot also ate all the muscle behind my shoulder blade, on top of my shoulder and around my collarbone. I look like a chicken, my tendon is now frayed and my shoulder is now frozen. Instead of the original pain around my bicep, now I have constant pain up my neck, shoulder, down my arm beyond the original pain, elbow, wrist and occasionally fingers.
I hear you all describing the intensity of this pain, but it sounds like the doctors don't get it. As I am crying I can't take another minute of this pain, they are saying "another 8 weeks physical therapy" blah blah. It hasn't helped and it hurts like hell. It feels like I am just ripping it worse and worse until it snaps off my body! Does this sound familiar???
Charri: Just went to dr today with exactly these symptoms which has worsened over the last 4 months. The dr said I might have hurt a ligament,and suggested I do exercises to strengten my arm muscles. On the loss of certain arm movements in my affected arm he said that the human arm is Not supposed to move to the side of body and up and it anycase comes with old age,I'm 46,when I asked why does the pain become much worse at night and travels down to my elbow he answered that its because when I sleep I cut off my arm's bloodsupply. A voltaren injection and a monyhs supply of the same tablets later, my arm is steadily growing more sore as night approaches. I'll be grateful for any advice,I am fit, healthy, not overweight and free of any other pain.
Sure glad to see I am not alone in this painful madness. I am a long-time nurse, never had back or arm problems before, nearing the end of my career, (64) now teaching, but play multi instruments in a bluegrass band and jamming scenes---have also done this throughout adult life. Have also always driven a standard transmission. In Mar 2011 I moved, and after lifting some heavy boxes as one does in moving, I developed a terrible pain in my right arm, kept me up night after night, no amount of OTCs, including aleve touched the pain. Of course, driving and playing music sent me to the funny farm--I would load up on whatever was in the med cabinet, like ibuprophen or Tylenol etc, just to get through practices and daily 120 km drives for work. Finally last Monday, I was ready to jump from my 3rd floor condo, and went to ER. They know I am a non-complainer, in fact seldom would see a doc unless for a pregnancy, the last of which was 20 yrs ago, and thankfully, that department has been closed by Mother Nature. So I had Xrays, the usual battery of diagnostic tests and the good doctor chalked it up to age, playing music, driving a stick and bursitis combined. He offered me a shot of cortisone in the shoulder with no guarantees--I would haver taken a shot in the pupil if it hinted of any relief to this blasted ongoing pain and immobility. Five days later, I can actually lift my right arm above my head, not step into my bra and put it on like normal women do, and be assured that my clothes are on neatly. I played slide guitar last night with no problems, and look forward to a concert this Saturday pain free for once. I have not taken a medication for pain since the cortisone shot, so I guess that is my remedy. I am told it may be an ongoing thing, and I hope it lasts for at least 6 months, and doesn't waste the muscle tissue. But for today, I applaud cortisone! It has been great to read this blog! I will keep in touch and be back often.

Gloria from Northern Ontaario
Hi I have multiple problems I have five ruptured disks in my lower back, three in my neck, extensive nerve damage and to top it all lucky me get's to have Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (syndrome). Now a couple of weeks ago I had a pretty nasty flare up of the FMCFS, I slept three days straight I couldn't stay awake and I was in too much pain and weak to get up so after just over a week I was able to get up and about, well here it's three weeks later since the flare up and my arms still ache especially my right arm all the time it aches a deep dull ache and the pain runs throughout my arm, sometimes it gets cold to the touch while the other one is normal, it keeps me up at night and pain meds and muscle relaxers do nothing for it.

Well I've also had a DVT in my right leg about 11-12 yrs ago, this reminds me of the same thing, I don't have the "classic" symptoms no swelling all I have is the aching and it getting cold like my leg did I'm really concerned if it's a blood clot or is it just the FM, or is it a pinched nerve? I don't know. Any suggestions from anyone.
Why would I have pain in my right shoulder and four fingers in my right hand when I lie flat in bed at night.  I have had 4 lots of spinal surgery in the past two years for crumbling discs.  I will  see my consultant soon
i had such terrible pain from my shoulder down to my elbow, i couldnt brush my hair some days it was so painful and stiff, range of motion was hardly there at all...  i decided to try something called sallaki, i take 1000 mg in the am and 1000 before bed and now my pain is all gone and range of motion is completely back..  i would suggest all try this for any type of arthritis, it is recommended for all types of arthritis pains, i got it from the lady at nutrition4skin.com, its not listed on her store site but you can ask her for it, it is very much worth it to be pain free and naturally too, it is all natural so no worries of anything and can be used with all medications too, no side effects at all, i do so love it and i wouldnt go without it
Please tell me you were diognosed. Same exact pain. I don't have to even move my arm and it's a constant ache. It started a day after having cervical fusion. I never had these symptoms before. It's been 2 weeks now and I'm on morphine. The surgeon did say that they did use force on my shoulders during my surgery. I'm thinking a torn labrum, slap tear, torn biceps tendon or bursitis. Pain is unbearable!
New to forum. Have almost same exact symptoms as klockie. Acdf c5-6. Thumb now is numb, shoulder and bicep ache that doesn't go away, and is intense at night. I am 37 yrs old and I can't take this pain anymore. Had cortisone shot in shoulder which helped slightly. My shoulder range of motion is relatively normal. I do not know if it's a nerve pain or tendon or muscle tear.
Hah! Cortisone is nothing but a bandaid for this blasted pain. No answers forthcoming from the medical people. I know I am not a complainer nor a whiner, but I truly am ready to jump three floors. My only problem with that is that I might wind up in traction with even worse pain. It has been two solid weeks of upper arm pain, no relief from OTCs, doc appt thurs, so until then I am dragging myself in to work, filling up on the analgesic of the day, and coming home to collapse and moan .This is no life. No music. Haven't picked up an instrument for 3 weeks, which is really bad--this is festival season. so cortisone is not the answer. any wisdom out there. Read my blog entry from last month i think it was, and see if you have any relief you may have tried that worked.
  I cannot put my arms behind my back at all. The pain is so severe that I have tears. It's in the joint. I have been told it's because I was a hairdresser for 48yrs. Baloney!!! It just started about six months ago, and I cannot even hook my own bra. I am allergic to all pain meds, so that's no answer. I'm going to Dr. at 10:30 this morning, a specialist. Maybe he can show me ways to alleviate this pain. Lifting them over my head is no problem, but putting them on the back of my head, forget it. I cannot put on pants that zip in the back, because I can't do it, so elastic waistbands for me . And sometimes, these give me problems. I figured was getting old, lol, but mother is in better shape than I. I also have had 4 heart attacks, so have to be extremely careful with meds. Will be back and let you know what he says.
So I am not a hypocondriac!!  I started this pain in my late 20's Diagnosed with CFS as well ad many other auto immune diseases like hasimoto thyroid and celiac etc, Pain coming and going and usually one side. Many specialist later and not being able to take all most all pain meds, I was given lidocaine 5% patch. Seemed over the last 2 years I have now developed a reaction to patches.

I saw ortho specialist, wanted me to do rehab...I do rehab everyday on Pilates because I could no longer lift more than 3 lbs w/o my shoulder feeling like it just snapped. Last thing I would do is go to a rehab center and catch something from dirty equipment.

At first I thought this last flareup was due to antibiotics that cause tendon problems like levaquin and avelox...but now have not taken either 6 over months so I am back to square one...I had MRI, catscans, xrays over the years and  now at 61 I am in tears throughout the night as it seems to worsen after I stop physical or mental work for the day around 8 to 10PM...seems as soon as I try to relax there it is so it must be present all day & I just push it off. Lately the back of my neck has worsened, migraines much more often.

I am not a whiner or looking for attention but I need to find out how to get rid of it...how come they look at me like I am from another planet when I say it has been present everyday for the last 6 yrs....no joke, prior to that it was weeks then months. I am seeing a RA dr on Monday he doesn't about this pain, I was sent there because my hemotologist thought I may have Lupus. Had some flares on my face from Aug to Feb...figures I get a authorization for RA dr in March and no more burn/rash taking me to ER...is this related...don't know but last two days my legs are feeling the same pain but much less intense.My Lupus ANA came back a 8 so it was indeterminable...10 is Lupus. Today I went for blood work for this Monday appt to see if Lupus is present...however I do not know if this would be the reason for such excruiating pain in my arms neck, sometimes it goes into shoulder blades.

For last 7 years I  am taking sleeping med  or I would never turn off with this pain...it does wake me several times through the night and maybe once in 3 months I can get 1 full nights slee..nothing is worse than waking up in tears from the pain knowing I having nothing to take even tylenol or like, I have reactions to and then its itch all night with the pain.

It is not my diet (take numerous supplements & vits including cal/mag d-3, k2 etc. nor is it my weight (124), whats left?
I am 14 and having pain in my Shoulder. my neck and shoulder ache all day long and when i try to raise my arm the pain is so great i cant move it. The pain becomes worse at night, i cant sleep , and if i do happen to fall asleep i wake up shortly after.

My shoulder doesn't feel the same as my other one. I have been searching the internet and my symptoms match a torn rotator cuff.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME
I experienced severe arm pain a couple of years ago ... it didn't matter what position it was in ... the pain would come in waves and was excruiating!  My doctor could not tell me what it was ... and pain meds barely gave me relief.  In desperation I went to a chiropractor ... and lo and behold ... it was a pinched nerve in the back of my neck!  Good news is ... just by holding my neck and head in a certain position instantly made the pain disappear!  It was such a relief after weeks of pain.  Bad news was ... as soon as he let go ... it was back.  I don't think there is anything they can do for a pinched nerve ... only time will heal ... but if anyone is suffering in silence like I was ... I would highly recommend a trip to a chiropractor.  He was able to teach my daughter the trick he used ... and it did give me at least momentary relief when it was at its worst!  
My mum had something sounding very similar to this infact sounds the same, she is diabetic and it was diabete's related she isn't overweight not sure what type but she is insulin dependant anyways thought it may be worth a mention
* * * It's a little frustrating to read all these posts but not see much in the way of solutions. I too am experiencing pain in my arms, can't hook my bra anymore, reaching and stretching causes bad shooting pain, horrible time sleeping,etc.

I do suggest that if you are drinking green tea or water with floride added to it - to stop. Try this for a week and see if it helps your pain a little. Green tea makes my joint pain so much worse. Last winter stopped drinking soda and replaced it with green tea. The pain got so bad I needed to use ice packs. I decided to stop drinking the tea to see if it would help and two days later the severe pain was gone.

Worth a try, right?

I have a pain between my elbow and shoulder of my left arm. Sometimes it feels hot and sometimes the pain radiates down through the back of my forearm into my wrist and the lower bone of my thumb. It feels like toothache in my joints.  I cannot raise my arm above shoulder height and if I try to put my hand behind my back it will only go about 2cm and there will be severe pain. When I have been playing ball with my grandson if I have reached up suddenly with this arm the pain is excrutiating and I feel as if my arm has been ripped off. I am only 51 years of age. I have been suffering this since summer 2010.
For about the past month, I've been getting an ache in my upper right arm.  This would be fine except when I reach over to wash my left upper arm/shoulder or put deoderant on, the pain turns from aching to shooting.  It also hurts when I try to cross my arms.  The physical therapist thinks it may be my deltoid muscle, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone else have these same symptoms, and if so, do you know for sure what it is?
You are all posting to a very old thread.  I would post your own question rather than putting it on this thread.  Just a thought.  
Just wondering how you are now? I have the same symptoms and just got an MRI. LIke to know what they found with you.
Me too...pain accompanied by itching about 15 cm below shoulder. Worst at night, also started getting a few shooting pains in my back. So sad to see i'm not alone. This is really messing up my sleep patern.
See my earlier post from ArmPains 04/03/2010.

My upper arm pains are almost gone.  It has taken two years to subside.

I think the problem was pinched or damaged nerves.  I used 15 lb dumbells, vitamin and mineral supplements, all very infrequently.  I am 61.

Doctors can't help.
Also, be cautious with dumbells, don't strain yourself worse.  These complaints of upper arm lower tricep pains that come and go, depending on type of movement, radiating down the forearm and causing the fingers to tingle - that is evidence of nerve damage.  There is not much the doctor or surgeon can do about nerve damage.  The chiropractor can sometimes get lucky and find a vertabral pinch, but in the arm it is not likely.  Exercise, vitamins and mineral supplements are the ticket.  Doctors didn't know until this decade that nerve tissue regenerates, including the brain.  The problem is poor nutrition and lack of strenuous and balanced exercise.  Because of over-production of farm land, vitamins and minerals are practically non-existent.  Our sedentary lifestyle causes our bodies to come apart.  
A related discussion, arm pain was started.
ArmPains,

What supplements did you try for your situation?

David
I am twelve years old, I wake up and I have very bad pain in my right shoulder to my elbow, its off and on and I don't want to do anything to my shoulder in P. E. I doesn't hurt when I put pressure on it. Mainly when I lay down on my right side Pllleeeaaasssee Heelllppp me.
I have in the last month began to experience pain in my left upper arm bone. It is worse at night and prevents sleep.  It can sometime, but not always, be controlled with Ibuprofen.  Since it has started it sometimes moves to my left hand and the back of my hand then swells up.  The pain in the hand goes away in a few days.  Occassionally I also get large lumps on the back of my head.  They also go away in a few days.  
         The pain in my upper arm is constant and has been getting worse. I have never had anything like this before.  I am 71 years old. Does anyone have any suggestions?  
3 months ago today I was complaining about the shoulder pain, clavical as well....I now know what  is doing it and it is the same thing that caused it over the last 7 years, possibly longer.

I have had several bad sinus infections for which I was being treated with antibiotic Levaquin. This pain was so bad in 2008 it took me to a pain management dr and since I will not do pain meds at all including tylenol due to gut issues, he had  no recourse but to just do MRI and watch what was going. That was not a pretty site as I found out how much worse my spine (discs) were. He suggested rehab to work my upper arms and shoulders...I said no thank you don't want to submit myself to picking up a bug in dirty rehab. (equipment) I have my own.

A few days later in 2008 I received an FDA warning for pharm and dr's to warn their patients of tendon ruptures due to use of flouroquinolone and much more worse side affects would be those on prednisone at the same time as taking these antibiotics.

I had a revealtion while taking to him in July, this was the exact reason I saw him and he was asking what meds I was on right now. I was taking Avelox in March and then again in June for upper resp. infection. July I needed a root canal and was put on Levaquin since I could not take the drug Cleocin which would be prescribed for an abcess (abscess). Levaquin 500mg we knew I didn't reach to with hives or itchinng. I had  the root canal in late August and oral surgeon gave me Levaquin again when the pain all was so familair.  

I decided to do 250mg twice a day and took it with my cal (2000)/magnesium(1000). Seems from my research 800mg magnesium was the only way to relieve this problem. So any one who has been on
Cipro/Avelox/Levaquin etc there are allot more, you can look them up but here is what I know for sure:

Antibiotics known as flouroquinolones have been associated with some or all of the following adverse drug reactions:

Tendonitis, Tendon Rupture, Tendon, Ligament, Joint and Muscle Damage
Vision Damage, Hearing Loss, Taste Perversion
Peripheral Neuropathy (Tingling, burning sensation)
Insomnia, Nightmares, Anxiety Attacks, Depersonalization, Cognitive Disorders
Brain, Heart, Liver, Kidney, Pancreas, Blood and Endocrine Disorders
Severe Psychotic Reactions, Suicidal Thoughts or Actions
Gastrointestinal Damage

Compounding the problem, there are numerous drugs which should not be taken in combination with this class of antibiotics. There are increased risks of injury when they are taken in combination with corticosteroids (e.g.: Prednisone, Flovent, Nasarel, Azmacort, Advair Disku, Methylprednisolone Dospak, Elocon Cream, Desoximetasone Cream, and Sterapred) and when taken in combinations with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (e.g.: Motrin, Pamprin, Aleve, Advil, and Ibuprofen, among others). Physicians are frequently not aware of these contraindications and prescribe dangerous combinations of drugs which cause severe injuries to their patients. Physicians may also not be able to identify that their patient is suffering an adverse reaction and instruct them to continue to take more of the antibiotic resulting in very serious and perhaps preventable injuries.
This discussion is great info!  I too have been having this dull intense aching in my left upper arm, midway btwn my shouted and elbow, as descirbed. I will say as an ultrasound technician, that I have suffered from an impingement on my right shoulder due to the type of acromium ( the bone that rests on top of the bursar). One may have one of 3 types, my type has a small hook on the end, causing bursitis much easier from the pressure that that "hook" puts on the bursar with repetitious motion
After different treatment attempts, including a cortisone injection, I finally opted for a subacromial decompression orthoscopic surgery.  The rehab was grueling, but the end results were worth it.  Before the surgery, I coundnt perform simple personal task for myself, now I'm fine on the right, but I fear that is the issue on my left now.
I have had the same pain in my upper arm and other areas. Intense at times Athletic and in great shape. It would not go away, back and forth sharp pain, deep feeling. Finally I have to admit I bought that Nopalea juice from the tv ad and it actually worked. Inflamation (inflammation) was the culprit. Feel much better all around. Natural is the way to go. Give it a shot.
I have this same pain in my left arm though not right , its not heart related so we can rule that out and I have had it for about 4 months now , use to have job that had repetitve motion and am no longer there and its been a year since I have done the job. But this pain is killing me shoulder to elbow and when it really flares up its elbow to hand and unbearable , no help for me I have no medical insurance so I am left to search the internet hoping to find an answer. At night it is worse, sleep whats that kind hard to sleep when your in pain!
I am writing this at 3:00 a.m. because an intense, dull pain has awakened me yet another night (this has been going on for 5 months). The pain occurs in the middle of the night and is concentrated in my left shoulder and down my arm. Tonight I noticed that my fingers are stiff as well. The MRI results stated Bursitis and Tendinosis and I have been seeing a physical therapist twice weekly for 5 months. It's gotten to the point where I dread going to sleep at night because I know I will be waking up in the wee hours of the morning in pain. I am an otherwise healthy 63 year old female who walks 4X a week and use to lift 10 lb weights at the gym 3X a week (that's when I first noticed the dull pain in my left shoulder). I have yet to have a cortisone shot but am thinking I'll try one very soon. Finally, anti-inflammatory meds. don't seem to help at all. Any other suggestions? I'd appreciate it.
Wow!! cant believe so many are suffering like me!!!  I was in a lot of pain in my left shoulder, couldnt put my arm behind my back. so begged the doctor to get me xrayed and ultra sound, came back i had a small tear in my shoulder muscle, not much they can do except those cordisone needles which i refused as i have heard so many people say they only help for a smallwhile...so i will just suffer until it heals itself..
I also have terrible aching muscles from my shoulder to elbow, its gettin worse, its waking me up now several times of a night...I am really interested if someone has an answer, i am in tears almost everynight from lack of sleep..
Hi, I've just been looking through this forum for a couple of days looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues. This isn't what I was looking for, now, but as part of recent medical investigations into some of my symptoms which included pain in the upper left arm, pins and needles and numbness, I had an MRI scan on the cervical spine. This showed that the c6 nerve root was being compressed by bulging disc. This explained my severe arm pain & yes, at times mine was worse at night so that I could not lie on my left side & had to sleep propped up initially.

The only thing that I found that helped initially was therapeutic massage which helped release the tight muscles in my shoulder, upper arm and back around my shoulder blade (scapula?).  It was only put forward for further investigation after the physiotherapists treating me did some performance tests - turning my head left and right, tilting my head, & trying to raise my arm - all of which made the pain etc worse & from that they said it indicated a pinched or trapped nerve or disc problem in my neck.
The MRI scan confirmed this, however the consultant said it wasn't severe enough for surgery but an injection might be possible if the pain was too bad or did not lessen through physio.
It may be that this is a possible explanation for your upper arm pain. Hope that whatever it is, you can get some answers soon.
All it does for me is take that part out of the equation for the rest of my problems which are still undiagnosed.
Briefly:
sudden onset of double vision Dec 2010, hospitalised, various tests done, discharged with meds for MG though tests for that negative; but to which I responded 'dramatically' (consultants words)
Speech detioration in Jan, with severe spasms resulting in hospitalisation for 3 weeks, MRIs & other tests negative (arm pain - think violent spasms caused the neck disc problem & with everything else clouded their view so it didn't get checked)
Now 9 months later, I am left with tremors (intention tremors) loss of balance, continued speech problems, am inexplicably tired at times, oh and I've lost my job that I loved. I was referred to psychologist to investigate stress & the session was a joke. His eastern European origins meant that when describing I'd broken my leg whilst in the services he thought services was being on the game !!! Won't detail other stuff but it was a waste of time.

I've just seen neurologist again, this time he was interested & didn't want to go down psychology path after being updated re the neck MRI which showed physical cause for some of my symptoms. He sent me for another brain MRI
which again showed 'normal' no lesions - think neurologist was looking for those as symptoms seem very MS like, but he says not as there are no lesions.
Am being given meds which may lessen tremors, but other than that still in limbo land not knowing what caused this to happen out of the blue. Ok one day, then not the next. I know something happened as my BP spiked to 240/150 back in Dec when I went to GP with my double vision; he checked 3 times to make sure, since then that has been disregarded as incorrect. Now it seems as if it needs another body part to fail or something before they'll investigate further.
You try not to let this unknown thing get to you, but it would be a lot easier if you knew what you were dealing with.
Lynne
Glad I found this site.. Same here but add the fact that my whole arm will also just start tingling like its numb. I'll be sitting at a fancy dinner and have to prop my arm up to stop the tingling. The pain is so sharp between my elbow and shoulder that I can't grip and lift anything. I don't have insurance so please help. Its been going on over a year now.
I have been having extreme pain in my right shoulder, with pain in my arm,wrist and fingers. I cannot do anything with this arm. My shoulder acts as if it is trying to dislocate with any activity. I have gone to see a specialist for the problem. He ordered an MRI for the shoulder and neck. I just had the Arthrogram MRI and a MRI of the neck. The arthrogram was very painful for me and now I seem to be having even more pain. I am now waiting for my doctor to contact me with the results.I cannot find anything to help with all this pain and am losing my mind.
Hi there. Sorry to hear about your problem. I have exactly the same symptoms and was just wondering if you have made any progress in getting it diagnosed and treated. I am going to a specialist tomorrow.
I'm s 36 yr old female & have been dealing w/this same pain for months. It has gotten to the point where its daily & narcotics, muscle relaxers & lidoderm patches don't help. I also sleep w/pillows for my arm & have considered whether or not my fibromyalgia is to blame but I think its something else. My forearm also hurts & the pain radiates to the top of my hand. I too am searching for answers. I have an MRI & EMG scheduled soon. My orthopedic surgeon said it wasn't rotator cuff or bursitis because all of my symptoms were atypical & my Xrays didn't show that. I just feel some relief, though no answer, that I'm not the only one :(
hi ive been having a shooting pain from my armpit to my elbow for about a year now  had mamorgram ultra sound and xray but the doctors are still baffled had steroid injections twice going back to specialist in 6 weeks  keeps me awake at night had tears some nights pain killers dont help
I had a pain in my left upper arm....went to hospital had it xrayed...they found nothing....a lady came in the dentist office where i work and she had marked down Vit D 5000mg a day, and i ask her why.....pain, and upper left arm pain was sign of low vit D.....as long as i remember to take the d it doesn't hurt, if i forget and skip a day or two, its back.....

i had also had bone scan, went to arthritis specialist etc, just $$$$$ and more $$$4 and vit D was trick.....my alk phos was also high, when i took d it  went down.....
Hi, The test results came back normal. They want to send me to yet another doctor/doctors to now treat me in other forms for my pain. I am so very discouraged and very depressed. I have now decided to work through the pain and just work out my shoulder and arm at home. I'm very tired of paying doctors for tests and not being able to recover from this pain.I am trying the approach of mental thearpy. Keeping a positive attitude. But the pain is winning. I am dealing with fibromyalgia and this does not help the problem either.
I have the same problem. It's the nerves in our neck,causing this pain. It makes you feel like there is a problem in the bone itself. It's a muzzle issue too. The problem with some of the meds they suggest to us is they are a double edge sord. Most of the meds that they treat us for pain breaks our muscles down causing us even more pain. So it just keeps causing us horrible pain. People who deal with fibromyliga have this issue too deal with. Meds are not always the answer. Hopefully you will find the right thearpy to treat this pain. Let me know because I am still searching for relief myself.
I have the same symptoms as everyone it feels to me like my arms are being ha pulled out of the socket, the pain is worst at night and if I try to lift or lift strech to put on a long sleeve shirt it is the worst. I went to Mayo Clinic and they gave me a nerve conduction study which is horribly painful, it was diagnosed the Ulmer nerve, braces didn't work , and so far I cannot get medical treatment with out insurance or the surgery. I was diagnosed 4 years ago and I have decided to get the surgery
My name is Doug I have your symtoms (symptoms) also. My email address is ***@****. Please send me an email so we can talk directly to see if we can come up with whats causing this pain.
My upper arm pain started about a month ago. And is worse in my left arm then my right. This pain is unbearable at times and I intend to find answers for all of us. All of us need to put are lifestyles, age, etc... onto a page where we can find something in common that may be causing this. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with our hearts. 20 years ago I was told I have an enlarged heart. Maybe there is something like this or something else we all have in common. Please write to me, Douglas Doyle age 55, to ***@****
I have had arm pain off and on for two years.  A shot of cortizone makes it disappear...   The pain doesn't ususally come back unless I overuse those muscles. It isn't in the bones so I doubt arthritis, I think it is a neuropathy of sorts.  The cortizone does the work...  Now if I would just stop cleaning and painting, etc... my arms would probably stay well. I cleaned my living room carpet yesterday then woke up today with arm pain, swelling and redness. It started itching from the swellling and was painful.   I have done this before, and my doctor says stop cleaning and painting and using my arms... but this time, it scared me. I see him tomorrow.  I hope to get a shot of cortizone again! I am a 61 year old, healthy, white woman.  I don't know why I have this! I love cleaning!!  My sisters or mom don't have it. Could it be Crestor???
As stated above several times, plenty of posts, not a lot of answers ... here is my story with a couple answers. Hope it helps. If you in same boat please contact me back.

5 months ago admitted to hospital with blood vomiting. Diagnosis chronic liver disease. Anyway, I stopped all alcohol and lost 14kg. Feel much better now but have upper arm and shoulder pain (especially when trying to fall asleep).

Here is 1 answer - The liver damage caused low Vit D levels (which off course helps calcium to absorb into bone). I was put on 5,000UI Vit D and the pain started within a couple of days. NOTHING before then. Turns out Vit D (especially if you are low) works to absorb not just calcium but additional moister in the first few weeks after commencing supplement. This causes what feels like bone and/or muscle pain. Exactly what I have.

I will continue with the Vit D as the pain is meant to go after 4-6 weeks. Will advise if this is the case.

colchium aut  30c ....2 , 2 x a day...sub-lingual

This is what herbalist put me on...and it was 2 days...and the sharp pain in middle of arm is GONE!!!...i have suffered with it for so long...

Also..shoulders were absolutely killing me..i couldn't raise my left arm, move a certain way and i cried...so, he has me exercising the shoulder extensively...and taking the meds..with an herbal sub called "relief"...it's corydalis yanhisue,bostwellia serraya,ginger.   3 days now and the arm is still a little stiff..but the exercise has freede it up to the point that i can almost reach over my head, almost around my back...10,000 times better than i was doing.  The exercise hurts...i do it all every hour while awake..
POINT BEING...I WENT TO 3 DOCTORS, GIVEN EXPANSIVE DIAGNOSIS, FIBROMYALGIA..., BRUISED ROTATOR CUFF ETC...I went to the herbalists, and it is beyond my belief that i have come so far in 3 days!..  The exercise is mainly bending over counter...freeing the arm and rotating it in circles wider and wider and back and forth...then some inexpensive puleys attached to the door.  I sit and do passive pulling of the arm up and up and up and up...at first i cried, now so much better.
I have had horrible pain in my upper left arm between my shoulder and elbow. It is not in the bone but in the 'meat'. I cannot raise my arm over my head. I can barely ( can't really) touch my right shoulder with my left arm A friend hugged me last week and the pain almost put me in tears. It gets worst when I lay down  or get still. It pretty much hurts all of the time. I wake up in tears 98% of the time.I am seeing an ortho doctor next week and will probably need an MRI. I am so tired of this pain and just not knowing what is causing it! Week 8 in pain.
Okay....  can't believe I found this.  I have only been suffering for a couple of months with this.  I'm 54 and have 3 young adopted children.  Stress has been high and I came down with this horrible arm pain a couple of months ago.  It has got worse.  The pain is very much like described all through this thread.  It is in my right arm.  I have other aches and pains as well.  Horrible headaches and sore joints.  I can't believe I'm going through this.  I got away from the stress and went to Hawaii for over 2 weeks and felt much better in that warm environment.  Never stiff and sore there.  I came back and got so much worse.  I'm going to try everything listed here.  Maybe vitamin D is the ticket???  Just want to share that you are not alone out there.  This is really lousy.  I thought I tore something and maybe so, but I think there is more to this.  Ugggg.....
ya
Just want to say I am amazed that I have found all these people on this site with the same symptoms!! I have FMS and have had for almost 17yrs or so...But the main thing I really hate is this deep bone pain in my upper arms..mainly the left arm is the worst. I am wondering if this could also be that I am left handed, hence use this arm more than the right? Any way last year I woke with excruciating pain and was almost screaming with it...nothing helped and I was taken to the hospital..the Dr there gave me an injection to relax and numb my arm so that he could ges X-rays and at least move it a bit to see what it was...I was told it was calcium salt crystals in the shoulder socket... this was to be dissolved by injecting saline into the socket and then dissipating the calcium crystasl. Well it was amazing as this did work so well..anyway I now have this pain back in the upper bone again and think maybe another trip to the ultrasound again to find out if this is what the problem is again...Check it out, get an Ultrasound on your shoulder sockets and see if these calcium crystals are your problem..hope this helps some of you.
cheers
Jacqui in Austalia
Did you ever look into the possibility that you had a rotator cuff injury?  This is of the shoulder, and the symptoms are just what you had.  In time, I understand it may heal itself.  I have the same pain; steroids only helped for about three weeks, but I am in therapy at the local hospital and both arms are improving.  Sometimes we cannot tell the cause, but I suspect walking my one hundred pound puppy to be the culprit when she lunged after something and I tried to hold her back.  Glad you worst is over for you.
You know what is sad, today they are quick to put you on any drug they can, and Dr of medicine does not believe in chiropractic care. The truth is there are so many nerves that run between your body and brain like little roadways. And when the road becomes obstructed or blocked there could be many symptoms caused by this, including sinus problems, aches in arms,legs and back etc. No one seems to look into this, instead they take harmful meds with serious side effects. In fact people go as far as having a surgeon cut into them damaging them forever without ever visiting a chiropractor. You might want to get a simple adjustment that would make a big difference, or you choose the knife. Simply your choice.
Eric Mazzi
***@****
My relative was also suffering from severe pains in between the shoulders and elbows for a few years. Now he is OK and showed me he can even scratch his back with no pain. He told me that he bought PULSETRON SS 2000 (foot massager) and used it 3 times per day for 1 month. Each session was 1 hour.

You can search the internet about the PULSETRON SS 2000. It might help you.
i have the same problem im my upper right arm. i awoke to the pain, thinkin i slept on it wrong. i went to the docs, they gave me flexeril, but that only works as long as the effects of the drug. i am now, after three months of this torture, which seems like only in the late eve and early mornin when i'm in pain; my first nite tonite on grocery store celery seed. take a pinch of it bout the size of pinkie nail, chew it well and mix well with saliva before swallowing. twenty minutes later the pain has vanished. i am so leery what docs opinions are any more. the only good thing bout allopathic medicine are the tests. the tests give facts, but dont give up the power to heal yourself. healing works best when used with our will. use nature to heal.
Sami, will this work for anyone? I'm wondering where is your herbalist? Maybe I can contact him or her to see if maybe it can help me. Please contact me so you can give me that information. Much appreciate your comment about an herbal remedy that might be able to help.
for the past 3 weeks, i have this shoulder pain that is there all the time but when i sleep it just gets 3 times stronger(i cannot sleep on my right shoulde or right arm)
if you have any comments please send them to me wilson at ***@****
would really appreciate your comments.
I just started having pain in my left arm a few days ago. I woke up one morning and my left forearm and shoulder were hurting. At first I thought I had slept on my shoulder and arm wrong but it gets worse everyday and today I can barely move my arm from my side without the pain. I have used icy hot and taken ibuprofen the the doctor gave me for my knee pain and it helps some but I don't like taking pills. I am reluctant to go back to the Dr. for this because I know she will take x-rays and send me how with more ibuprofen.
I have exactly what you have. A pain in my left arm tricep. I am right handed so I know it is not from any repitition. I get this pain when I reach backward, like to put on my seatbelt or stretch my arm out to the right. I never injured it and don't workout with it.  I am going to the doctor in January so I'll keep you posted.
Okay, seems like most of the posts describe the upper arm pain I am also experiencing.  For the most part, it is an ongoing dull ache in the upper right arm muscle (triceps?) but not debilitating. However, when I go to reach behind me to put on a long-sleeved shirt, winter jacket, etc., I see stars. With the very dry air in winter I continually get static elect. shocks when I touch any metal. Touch that metal with the right hand (no pain in left arm) and I jerk the arm back in reaction to the shock. From jerking my arm quickly the upper arm pain takes my breath away and temporarily immobilizes me as I deal with the now sharp and excruciating  pain. Also, stretching my arm out brings on the same intense pain.  I started getting mysterious muscle pains when I turned 60 a little over 3 years ago. Last year I experienced a pain in my neck muscle that was very annoying and mildly painful.  Also had a bone spur in my left foot that was absolutely crippling (very painful) in the morning when getting out of bed. I am happy to say that both of these 2 issues resolved themselves in about 10 - 12 months (seems much longer) without any medical intervention, though I did seek answers from the Doc.  He said take Tylenol for pain, exercise, use warm/cold compresses, etc. Never did any of those things and the neck and foot pain is now nonexistent (hoping it stays that way too!)  So, I am riding this arm pain out (its been ongoing now for over 2 months) in hopes it too will resolve itself!  Good Luck to each of you!  If anyone gets a medical advise that works, please post it. THX.
Hi all, i am 28 and i have been experiencing a left arm pain (between shoulder and the elbow) for almost 3 years. The pain is more when i put my hand folded at elbow (especially when i am sitting infront of a computer and typing on the keyboard). Also when i sit in a chair i need to put my left hand straight (if it is folded, the pain forces me to straight the hand). But the worst part is even i am getting the same pain in my left leg too (lower part - between knee and foot). i cannot sleep properly because of these pains. i need to keep my left hand and leg straight always. So friends, please tell me what can be rootcause for these pains and what is the remedy for this. please please suggest me on an urgent basis.
Hello. I am female, 50 years old, diabetes type 2 (no meds, just diet, vitamins and exercise), not overweight.

Three month ago my shoulder/arm trouble started: first discomfort when laying in the bed, then I could not put my arms back to huck up the bra or zip/unzip dress, then pain started mostly at nights. Later on the dull pain during the day as well. Some days are better some worse but the tendency is - the pain and range of motion is getting worse.  My right hand is also doing the same now - painful but has better range of motion.

Some internet research gave me pointers to "Trigger Points" information. Apparently those are the stiffened and shortened portions in the muscles that are tender (painful) when pressure is applied and (!!) they refer pain to the different areas in the body. There are muscles in back and neck that refer pain to shoulder, upper arm, elbow, wrist which can mimic Frozen Shoulder, Rotator Cuff problems, Carpal Tunnel syndrome. When you press the "Trigger Point" you feel the same pain in arm and shoulder which is described in all the posts in this tread. I tried on myself and this is true - I do find those trigger points in my muscles and I do feel referred pain in my shoulders and arms when I press those trigger points.

The interesting point is that massaging particular Trigger Point might help with pain or completely cure the problem. Apparently just one time massage can cure the problem but most likely it needs a month or longer of 3 - 5 self-massage sessions per day (they are pretty simple and take few minutes).

The muscles that are responsible for shoulder and arm pain are mostly the rotator cuff muscles and the neck muscles (there are others involved but with lesser probability).

I have started doing those massages myself, I am only doing them for 2 days but I think I am getting better. After the first massage I was totally pain free the whole day and I slept most of the night w/o waking up. I still feel pain when I move arms behind my back, turn them outwards, reach high, wake at night, but I think my range of motion got slightly better and pain is not as sharp as it used to be. I will continue massages and will update how it affects me on this thread.

Here is where I got the information from: I was searching on Amazon for Frozen Shoulder information and found this book: "The Frozen Shoulder Workbook: Trigger Point Therapy for Overcoming Pain and Regaining Range of Motion" by Clair Davies and David Simons.

Note that the book mentions that you might have actually diagnosed problem (Frozen Shoulder, Carpal Tunnel, Rotator Cuff problem, etc) but actual cases are not as wide-spread as diagnosed by doctors. Especially if the problem "resists" all treatments it is most probably due to Trigger Points.

Here is a bit of information that I just found on internet about relevant trigger points:

Shoulder pain:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Infraspinatus&view=detail&id=004CADC9C94D3874C991FE237105FA513E6A37D7&first=0

Muscles:

Subscapularis (inner scapula, accessible through armpit):
http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/subscapularis.htm

Infraspinatus (back, top part of scapula)
http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/infraspinatus.htm

Supraspinatus(back, middle, lower part of scapula, larger):
http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/supraspinatus.htm

Teres Minor(low scapula to arm):
http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/teres-minor.htm

Scalenes (neck front and sides)
http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/scalene.htm

Not sure I was clear on Trigger Points, so I wanted to add some more information that I learned from the book. I am new to this too and ofcourse that theory might not work, but I feel good about it and hope it will help.

The main idea behind Trigger Points is: the pain origin is NOT where you feel it (not in Shoulder and Arm) but in Trigger Points themselves.

Not always, but in many cases Trigger Points is what is causing that pain in shoulders and arms. Trigger points can be caused by trauma, repetitive motion stress on muscles, bad posture, bad sleeping positions, and so on...  Basically it is a kind of persistent spasm in the muscle which makes it shorter and causes disbalance in the whole system that it is involved in. Sometimes you can feel the tight bump/knot in the trigger point (I do feel them in some of mine, some pretty large ~1/5 inch) when you press/massage it.

The shoulder/arm pain that is actually originating in Trigger Points can be cured by getting rid of those trigger points. Note that they can resolve by themselves or go dormant in which case pain will subside on its own.

im having pain in my upper left arm.. also between the shoulder and elbow,i Googled it and found your comment, not with this situation but others ive seen the Dr. only to feel the way you are like there think your making it up..i mean for real.. thats bad business .what is it they dont have the answer so they switch the blame to us.
I have been for the past month been having pain in both of my upper arms and both shoulders. It aches like a toothache. When I go to lift my arms it is painful. It just happened suddenly one day when I went to lift my arm. I am going to the Doctor because I have no idea what it could be. I am 72 and quite active.
This is EXACTLY what my Mother's Doctor has been doing with her--changing her blood pressure medications!!!!!1

I noticed the date----would you mind e-mailing me and letting me know how you are doing?????

Did you ever get any relief to your pain?  I hope so!!!  I know this can be
very frustrating and discouraging!!!  I want to help my Mom so much,

Thank you.

***@****

12/24/11
I'm only 12 years old and this has been happening to me in my left arm for a few week now. It's TERRIBLY unbearable at night it hurts alot and I'm starting to think the worst. The pain is mainly in my shoulder when I wake up in the morning and at night. At night the pain hurts so much I'm on the edge of crying, my sister says it's just because I slept on it wrong but it's been going on for, like, 3 weeks now. It really freakin' hurts and I can't get rid of the pain. :(
I have the same problem, the soreness and pain in my left arm and shoulder and what I do when the pain is unbearable, I wrap my left arm and shoulder with a hot wash cloth or heat it up with a bottle with hot water and it helps, but just make sure the heat from the wash cloth or the bottle doesn't burn. If you have a heating pad, you can use it too. GOD bless everyone and Happy New Year! Wishing that you all feel better!
Hi Fuzzy, try trigger point massage. Here is the book I bought and followed the technique. It really is helping me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157224447X/ref=oh_o06_s00_i01_details

First of, I felt the relief in pain right away after the first massage. Also I have had excruciating pain when I suddenly jerked the arm or bumped into something - after I have started those massages pain I have never had that.

It may take for a while to completely cure the problem with massages but for me they already definitely helping. Though I also go to physical therapy, but I dont believe that it is what's helping. Maybe combination. I also use heating pad when go to sleep.
Oh... the parts that I am self-massaging are

1) neck - front sides. This is pretty simple but you need to read on technique a bit to do it correctly
2) the muscle that is on inner part of scapula (shoulder blade) which is accessible through armpit. This one is frustrating and I am not sure I am going the right way there
3) the muscle that covers the scapula (shoulder blade) on the back. I am using the "Thera Cane" massager for that which I bought on amazon but it probably is available in any farmacy - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PRMCJU/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details
I get the same pains in both my arms and I take about 20 Tylenol through out the day it's getting rediculous I've been working outta town in the bush so I havnt been able to see a doctor but when I do hopefully he will know and I'll post it if he can tell me!! Cuz I'm sick of the pain everyday all day just like you
i am raju,suffering from left ram plan,at first it was only cramping after it began to pain and at first it was at ELBO only after it spred to shoulder and after it spread to neck (only left side of neck) and doctor done tests and cannot find out the cause,and he suggested for MRI scan at last,now i have to go througt that. can any one sugget me.
I too have this constant mid bicep pain but know exactly what the cause is , I fell last april, 9y months ago, after utra sound and an MrI at my insistence, I have two tendon tears and a labral tear and then developed frozen shoulder, sleeping was impossible for months, sattup at nght just crying in pain, unable to hardly dress, or do many normal activites of daily living, pain has lessened somewhat, able to sleep with the aid of a sleeping pill which I hate to take but nothing and I mean nothing else works, I am booked for a ultra sound guided steroid injection , was supposed to be beginning of Jan, but now has been bumped into Feb, I get the impression from many, including my Dr that this is not something seriious, hello, I have told him I would rather have broken a bone, had it casted , healed and been done with it, this is ridiculous, especially when you get very little help or a look from your loved one that says, Oh come on, it cant be that bad!!! I am off work as I am a nurse, have not yet received any EI assistance, apllied nearly 2 months ago, dont even know if I am approved, just want this constant burning tearing deep aching pain to go away, did physio also for 3 months,just seemed to make it worse as any type of movement does, I desparately want to avoid surgery but if the shot doesnt work I might have to go that route, I am a very healthy fit person , not on any regular meds and this is not the way I want to go into the senior years of my life!
I would recommend the you look back to December 19, 2011, OlgaA524. Regarding "The Frozen Shoulder Workbook: Trigger Point Therapy for Overcoming Pain and Regaining Range of Motion" by Clair Davies and David Simons.  I have had the same pain you and soooo many have spoke of and with certain movements caused excruciating pain. So after reading her information, I actually found a tender spot under my arm and massaged it and the pain in my arm has actually subsided.  I am certainly going to look into the book Olga spoke of. It may just contain the answer we all need.  Good Luck to you young Fuzzy and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!  
I would recommend the you look back to December 19, 2011, OlgaA524. Regarding "The Frozen Shoulder Workbook: Trigger Point Therapy for Overcoming Pain and Regaining Range of Motion" by Clair Davies and David Simons.  I have had the same pain you and soooo many have spoke of and with certain movements caused excruciating pain. So after reading her information, I actually found a tender spot under my arm and massaged it and the pain in my arm has actually subsided.  I am certainly going to look into the book Olga spoke of. It may just contain the answer we all need.  Good Luck to you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!            
I am hoping someone can help me.  I have been having sever left arm pain it started in my shoulder which had been swollen and painful  then radiated down my arm above my elbow I have went to numerous doctors who indicates shoulder tendonitis,  I have been in pain for now going on 3 weeks, had corticosteriod injection about a week ago, I am just a little skeptical has I have been taking vicodin, motrin and lyrica and nothing seems to help me, I am in pain all the time and trying to work with this pain is difficult as well.  I don't know what else to do!!!  seems pain is taking over my life

signed: smo

sounds like when I had herniated discs in upper cervical spine - surgery was ONLY solution - did EVERYTHING else first.  Pain and tingling stopped immediately after surgery -
i have some similiar pain mid upper arm muscle up to my shoulder on my right arm.went to doctor said i had muscle strain and tendinitis in my right shoulder. they prescribed me muscle relaxers and they just knock me out. and makes pain less but as soon as i move and wake up. i can only take tylanol as im pregnant so no asprin ibprofin anti inflammatorys ect... i just was some relief .an help would great
Hi LadieDi,

Could you please copy write a short text of how you find the tender spot and how to massage it?

Kind regards,

davelt
oh my gosh! I didnt think anyone o as many people would have this same pain. Im on 15. I dance most days. I got this pain a year ago which lasted a couple of months and then stopped ad recently its started again. It is so bad at night i find myself punching m arm..
Please let me know if ant inflammitory pillls help anyone..
Hi I hurtsobad,i have those same kind of pain,when i was hit by a hit and run driver in Oct 2011 i felt as my arm was torn out of it's socket, never had a heart attack, don't want one either but the way they describe it it felt like that too, pain don't seem to easy up with nothing the vicodin, and other pain medicine only put me to sleep, when i wake up the pain is still there but i would like to know why the it hurt so bad \. well i do have an appointment this coming monday and i'll talk to him about my arm pain so we can research this matter a little farther
hurtsobad, we are communicated because we face the same problem, we don't need supper-freaks smart behind remark you don't share in out pain keep your oppion thoughs to your self we're looking for help in  our situation
My pain is the same as your.I have pain in both arms,with more pain in the left arm.This has been going on for 2 mo.advil gel caps & icehot helps some
I have the EXACT same problem in my left arm and I havent worked in a year (I just thought my dog pulled something in my arm when I took her for a walk and she took off and ripped the leash outta my hand) my arm kinda twist, turned, and pulled! And its been painfull ever since, but exactly as you described.
Im going to try exersicing my arm (I cant afford to see a Dr so if you figure it out let me know)
My pain is the same (or at least very similar) to what many others here have posted, but what I don't see mentioned much is whether or not others have limited range of motion with the affected arm.

In my case, I can't lift my arm over my head (like if you were going to dive into a pool).  I can't even raise it *halfway* over my head.

Anyone else with this problem in addition to the upper arm pain?
other good books to add to your library, Eat to Live by Furhman

I am 36yrs old and learning very quieckly that, I can provide better medical services to myself, just by knowing which foods to eat and taking advantage of the herbs God provides us.  Of corse I have poor health if I servive of meat and rice with very little fresh food and excercise.  I can reverse damages I caused to myself quicker then any pill can, with very little to no side affects.  God is good!
since december 2011 i have been experiencing sudden bouts of muscle stiffening followed  by a spasm like feel and severe pain and numbness in my left arm. MRI scan reveals nothing serious , only a left cervical spinal problem, the exact technical details not known, nerves test proved ok, blood dtests all normal... though medication is going on, it doesnt seem to have reduced since these pains keep coming ...wonder what to do, have already consulted a neurologist, an orthapaedician ....but of no avail...
I have been doing bikram yoga for years 4 to 5 times a week. I have been having left arm pain and this is the only thing that I have been doing consistently. I have laid off now for about 4 days and I am starting to feel less pain. I am thinking maybe I overstressed it in yoga and need to take a break. I miss it but probably need the break. Thanks for the heads up.
check into chiari malformation...I found out by accident that i have it and it can cause all of these symptoms..worth checking out on the internet...the only way to really find out if u have it, is by a MRI.
Because I have a similar problem I'd like to know how your exam turned out. You can write to me at ***@****

I'd really appreciate a reply. Thanks and I hope that you feel better.
-Steve
I got a TENS unit to help with some back pain, but the shoulder and arm pain seems to be my major problem now.  About 15 minutes with the TENS unit before bed really helps the pain for about 24 hours.  It's fabulous.  
I had a flu jab on 8th October 2011, the nurse was quite robust & jabbed the top of my arm, the instant she did it I felt like I'd been kicked by a horse, usually the tenderness goes after about 3/4 days but this is now 4 months & I'm still in agony, although the pain seems to be centered in my mid upper arm on the muscle  & feels like a I'm wearing a tight bandage, this does radiate down to my wrist & upwards to my neck & has even reached my ear. I've seen 2 doctors at my practice & they've both said it will go eventually. That's not much help as I can barely use my arm, have to support it all the time, keeping it close into my body, not listing things with it. The pain gets worse when I go to bed, I have to make sure my other arm is holding it close in to my body or the pain will wake me up.
what was the outcome of your arm pain? Have an identical problem
I am 55, female and was miserable from the excrutiating pain and sleepless nights.

I read your post about The Frozen Workbook and decided to go for it.  I fumbled about to identify the trigger points and after 3weeks I could feel the difference!   A big YES to try trigger point therapy first.

Thank you so much!
I also have severe pain in right biceps and right shoulder, and some tenderness in my left shoulder . Lots of tests - no diagnosis.

I was taking a high dosage of Asacol (for ulcerative colitis) when the pain started. I wonder if that might have triggered this problem.
I have the same pain; left arm, mid section, 24/7, worse at night.  However, in addition to these symptoms, I have a constant numbness and tingling down my arm into my hand.

Has anyone gotten any useful remedy yet, aside from meds?
I have had this for years, and have always been told it is bursitis (inflammation of the bursa in the shoulder joint).  The inflammation in the joint causes pain to move down your arm along the muscle paths. Anti-inflammatory medications help short term, but a  steroid shot at the site of the pain will often help for 3-6 months. Xray of the shoulder joint will confirm inflammation or not.
I am an Avid runner and woke up last night with the exact same excruciating pain in my right upper arm. Comes in waves.  Any one figure out what this is or what helps?
I've done some experimenting with different treatments and found that increasing my Vitamin D intake was a huge help.  (I'd read about it somewhere and decided to give it a try.)

While it hasn't completely eliminated the problem or restored 100% mobility, it has helped *significantly*.  I was truly amazed.

I have been taking 2,000 I.U.'s of Vitamin D3 (make sure it's D3) three times a day, so 6,000 I.U.'s a day total.  I noticed a difference in about ten days.

If anyone can help would be great,
ive had severe pain in the upper arm for 18 months now but its getting worse ,with pins and needles shootind down my arm to my hand this happens no matter what position my arm is in there is no pain in the shoulder any ideas.
Googled same symptoms , and here I am.  Can barley roll over or pull covers up over me during the night.  Ache always present, however night time is unbearable.  Right arm.  I periodically have the same symptoms on left are exact same location.  Something is obviously wrong with all of us, too many exacts !!! Unbelievable that a good ortho couldn't promptly diagnose .
Your symptoms are very much how I would describe mine, but I started out with left arm pain due to an object falling on my arm. It felt like it was getting a little better, then all the sudden the left upper arm between my elbow and shoulder developed excruciating pain when lifting my arm up or behind my back. Now the pain has moved across my upper back and down the right arm to the elbow! I can't hardly function as far as dressing, grooming etc. Sometimes the slightest movement like tearing off a piece of toilet paper or whisking my hair out of my face will cause breathtaking pain. This has been going on for several months now. All my labs are normal. I did suffer a left small rotator cuff tear and a slight bulge to the C5-6, but did not seem as if was severe enough to cause all this pain, but that's all they could find...did you ever get a diagnosis or did you get better or worse? I am a nurse and it has even me completely baffled... I just cant take this pain much longer...I can't even work as a nurse right now..
can anybody tell me what is wrong when u have a sharp pain on the right side of my right arm 1 inch above the elbow
I have the same problem it seems that if I stretch then the pain comes back   its even woken my up at night
I was put on lipitor a few months back and that started the same first just a little and now a lot !
I think we should do some research into Lipitor as one of the possible side effects of statins is muscle pain !!
Hi folks,

I read this forum one night when I could not sleep.  In fact, I couldn't sleep for two days straight b/c of the intense pain in my shoulder/upper arm that hurt continuously but got unbearable when I tried to lie down and sleep.  I have never before in my life felt pain like this (and I have a high pain tolerance as I have broken bones before and not sought immediate medical attention/collapsed lung).  

The second day without sleep forced me to give in and seek medical attention.  I sat in the emergency room of my local hospital waiting for 4 hours.  Want to talk about torture!  Finally, I was taken back and they took x-rays to make sure nothing was broken (this had to be the most excruciating pain I have ever felt as they manipulated my arm to positions it did not want to go).  The doc finally saw me and told me that I must see a specialist as the x-ray showed nothing (x-rays can only see bone, not tissue).  He did give me an anti-inflammatory and a pain-killer (percocet).  I was able to sleep that night, but in a modified sitting/leaning back on pillows position.  By the next morning, the pain has subsided considerably, but I still didn't have full range of motion in my arm.

Went to the specialist the next week and she said that the bursa sack in my arm had inflated and do not usually go down on their own w/o intervention.  It's like an air bag in a car.  It inflates when there is some trauma or disturbance to the area to prevent injury as the rotator cuff muscle is the only muscle in the body where the muscle is under/in between the bones instead of on top, thus the bursa sack is necessary.

The specialist gave me a cotizone shot in the shoulder.  By that night, I had full range of motion and by day two, the pain was almost totally absent and I had full range of motion.  I have been exercising my rotator cuff muscles and shoulder, which is strengthening it.

Hope this helps someone.  There is hope.  Don't give up.

I hope what I say will help those right-handed people with left shoulder and arm pain.  Mine was troubling me on oand off for the past may be 5-6 years. The "discomfort" was tolerable though stressful as it distracts you from you job.  4 days ago, suddenly the pain became excruciating.  Went to see a specialist on bone and muscles. He  injected something into my left shoulder joint.  The paid was reduced by some 20%.  It also cost me several hundred bucks. Then I realised that if you place your head on your palm with you elbow rested on your table, considerable force is exerted upwards into your shoulder joint.  I have had the habbit of doing that whenever I surfed the web and reading news on it etc.  I am almost certain that it was due to this prolonged (5-10 years) "bad habit" that led me to this problem which could have been avoided so easily.  I now just hope that if I stop resting my head on my elbow, the existing damage will slowly heal. Hope to hear from others who would try this and could tell me the results: ***@****.
Im also new to having this problem im up all nite two nights in a row so far i hav no regular doc or health insurance my upper right arm is so sore a strange sore deep inside and worsens at nite keeping me up in pain also have the tingling and numbness in my fingers and hand i dont know what to do please help anyone im only 27 years old and mostly healthy im so confusef
I have just joined this discussion and agree that computers are the most likely cause of this pain. For me it is in the right arm between the elbow and shoulder. I use the mouse with that arm. However the pain also occurs in the left arm sometimes. All my other symptoms agree with most of the others here. Although I have used computers on an almost daily basis over the last 32years, it is only over the last year that I have sat reading news items all day. I guess this is a modern living hazard and will only get worse as the web-sites chuck out more 'exciting articles' for us to read AND comment on.
I suffered pretty much the exact symptoms as so many here have posted. After many, many hours of research, I tried a combination of things that made a huge difference in my pain and mobility and wanted to share it, hoping that the same combination might help someone else.

I read in my research travels that Vitamin D3 can help, so I gave it a shot and it did help!  Get the 2,000mg tablets and start with 4,000mg's a day for a few days (2 tab's in the morning and 2 in the evening) then up the dose by one tablet (2,000mg) every 3 days until you feel relief.  Then, stay at that level.  It made a *huge* difference for me.  I ended up staying at 8,000mg's since that was the level that brought relief.

In addition to the Vitamin D3 therapy (be sure you get D3, not D2), I used a bed pillow to elevate the arm a bit when I was lying in bed watching tv at night.  Between the two - the Vitamin D3 and the elevation at night, I had *significant* improvement.  The pain is pretty much gone, and my range of motion is much, much better.  Not 100% return of mobility yet, but very close!

I hope this helps someone else.  If it does, please come back to the forum and let me know so that the results can be passed on to others.

P.S. You can also add a gel/ice pack to the mix while you're elevating the arm.  I put mine in the mid-arm area between the elbow and the bicep.

I eat 99% organic foods.  I take no antibiotics or vaccines, and use homeopathic when necessary.  Still I've been experiencing this pain and reduction in range of motion.  As this pain obviously has a variety of origins, it makes sense that pharmaceuticals or diet could contribute to inflammation.  I believe mine from over taxing my arm/shoulder moving something to heavy and perhaps causing a tear somewhere in my shoulder in combination with my under active lifestyle.  I'm thinking of seeing a rolfer or chiropractor.  Surgery is not an option for me.  

Best to you.
My pain is similar to what I'm reading about here.  I will start by saying I'm getting pretty tired of the, "it's not in my book, therefore it's in your head" diagnosis.  This started about seven months ago, not associated with any physical trauma that I can remember.

My pain:
is located in dominant arm/shoulder/elbow/upper back. (for me, the left)

I have damage to my right hand, so perhaps my left hand and arm are more 'dominant' than most.  I too use the computer (laptop with peripheral mouse) every day for hours.

it comes in "attacks".  I usually wake up pain free after half a night of tossing and whimpering.  The moment I move at all, even to brush a hair off my face, that's enough to set it off, after that it just hurts no matter what, sometimes for hours and sometimes for days.

A few motions are especially excruciating during these attacks - making a ponytail, standing straight upright with chin up and shoulders down.  Most motion doesn't seem to affect pain level, though.  And when it's gone, it's gone, the most I will feel is some tingling no matter what position I am in.

The sequence is predictable:  mild tingling in arm and hand.  sit up and the tingling becomes extremely intense, sometimes my hand itches.  Within minutes there is pain between spine and shoulder blade about at the level of point of shoulder. This pain has that pinched feeling like some bone is out of place, I feel compelled to twist and stretch - which does nothing. The pain gradually migrates to outer shoulder, then bicep and tricep, then to just above elbow.  at this point the pain does feel just like a horrid toothache.  It can reside there or move back up to the shoulder.  

Massaging the muscle doesn't do anything except sometimes cause the pain to move a bit.  people talk about bone pain, I feel it's probably nerve - if the nerve(s) controlling the area(s) where there is pain are affected, the phantom ache will travel.  It definitely feels "deep",

I also get a very strange sensation that  feels ... almost like my skin is cramping?  Like the little muscles just below the skin are paralyzed.  This is usually under my armpit and sometimes the front of my collar bone.  Not painful, just really strange.

Pain meds including Gabapentin and Cyclobenzaprine as well as all OTC meds do basically nothing.  One helps me poop and one helps me sleep and the pain goes on and on.  

I have not found anything at all that eases the pain, the attacks seem to be getting longer.  Lying still in a semi-sitting position with lots of pillows behind me is my only marginally comfortable sleeping position, any other will immediately set off an attack.

A few probably unrelated things, but who knows, anyone else share these?

I have asymptomatic endometriosis which i was operated on for last spring. Quite an ordeal, including an epidural injection.

I am taking birth control pills, prozac and wellbutrin, along with a battery of supplemental vitamins including D and E.

I have an odd sore on my shoulder.  It's about 6mm with irregular borders, red, sometimes blistered but painless.  It's been there for months, I think it's slightly bigger than it used to be.  My NP says it's probably nothing, but WTF?  

I had chicken pox as a child.  I know shingles can occasionally occur without a rash, it's called zoster sine herpete.  Could this be a nerve infection, shingles or otherwise?

I occasionally get a strange gurgling/bubbling sensation (and noise) in my throat, often after I've shifted position in bed. The air doesn't seem to be coming from my stomach like a burp, it just sort of appears and I cannot stifle the noise.

I took off about 30 pounds, going from slightly chubby to slightly skinny.  Then between the pills and the surgery and the sedentary recovery and the comfort carbs, I put it all back on.  I'm just at the top of "normal" weight, not grossly obese or anything, but it was a sudden and rather large weight gain.

My doctor is very human; confronted with a barrage of symptoms, she picked the one that's easiest to identify (for me, shoulder pain) and gave me muscle relaxants - i think this is pretty obviously some sort of nerve issue, but anything out of her ordinary experience is apparently also off the radar.  Not a muscle pain and not originating in my shoulder.  helloooo...
My husband, 64, and I, 52, have exact same issue, his is worse than mine. I have been wondering if this is some new issue like carpel tunnel. Ours is both mafe worse when driving our car with consol, where we rest right elbow.  He is a security officer and his cruiser is our same car. Mine is also agravated when I rest riggr elbow on the arm of the chair in my office...maybe we have a new repetitive motion injury.
Hi I am 45 years old and am having same problems with pain in arm , really bad when I reach behind the pain is crippling ..... It's just a numb ache now and tingling in fingers ..... Have you had any answers I am going for X-ray next week
Love
Jan
My Mum has the same symptoms. I am very worried about her.  How are you now and did you find out how to control it?  Many thanks for any info.
Well, xrays have shown that I have "mild to moderate disc compression" in five vertebrae (C3-4 through C7-T1), along with the beginnings of "anterior osteophyte (?) formation"  - bone spurs on the vertebrae.  I'm going for an MRI, but guessing that the major problem is in C7-T1.  It's weird that I don't have any pain in my neck/spine, just to the left of it and the arm, but it makes sense that there's a problem with that vertebra, a major nerve for the arm originates there.
Hello to all. I have had arm paid off and on for about a year now and recently it got worse. This site did help me to relax and realize that I am not alone.

I feel that this blog lacks solutions. Thanks to the stories in this blog, I found a solution through lots of sleep, vitamin d pills and mediation. I noticed that my arm pain was the worse when I was relaxing and I had time to think about it. Working it out and stretching didn't really help and relaxation was worse. I began to meditate and stretch for about 15 in the morning and though it doesn't go away, it does help. Staying warm also helps and sleeping on my arm actually helped too. That is my advice, find out how to help yourself because as you all know, our doctors think we are crazy. Nonetheless, we can handle anything as we are humans and we have life. Something I forget to be thankful for sometimes but I hope you all find your own remedy and if not cure, then way to live/cope with it like i did/am
Yes I would like your out come....I've been having cortorzone shops they don't last long
I had the same pain I drive for a living and has done so for 21years and let me tell you my back my neck my arms hand.....Is very Painful when I sit down I dread getting up its like an thousand pound bricks is holding me down..I want to go out of disability   but afraid I will lose...My job will pay for insurance only if your there 25years....Its so rough...
My dr. told me that my insurance plan wouldn't cover an MRI until I had an x-ray series (much cheaper) to rule out anything simple, although we were both pretty sure it wasn't going to show much. (so yay, extra radiation, just what we all need.)  I have also heard of insurance companies rewarding drs who don't go over a certain amount of billed charges in a year.  I wonder how much of the "well I don't see anything, you must be fine (crazy)" attitude comes from insurance pressure.
This arm pain is a common symptom in Lyme disease.  I tested positive for Lyme disease.  The arm pain was actually the first symptom that hit me.  I couldn't rest my arm on the armrest in the car without excruciating pain.  To this day, I still get this pain though treatment with long-term antibiotics has helped it greatly.  I get flares now and then.  The worst part was burning right along the edge of the scapular bone.  Before I was diagnosed, I episodes where I could not lift my blow dryer to dry my hair.  Though I have improved, I believe the Lyme has caused nerve damage which is what led to the arm problems.  If I use the muscles in the arm too much and they fatigue my arm will shake.  Out of all my pain symptoms, this one was the worst.  From what I have read, some of the things that can do this are the infectious diseases like Lyme, ulnar and radial nerve problems, carpal tunnel syndrome; problems with the cervical spine can cause a radiculopathy down the arm because they can pinch nerves;  problems with the vascular system because it can block circulation into the arm.  You need to have EMG studies done to rule out muscle/nerve issues; vascular studies done to rule out those issues and orthopedic studies to rule out bone-related issues in the spine or arm.  If you have had these done and are provided no clear answers, then you should consider another cause like Lyme disease.  Lyrica does help me quite a bit with my arm pain, though it takes some getting used to at first because it can make you quite tired.  You can wear arm braces at night with the metal inserts to help keep your arms straight and avoid median nerve compromise.  I have done this as well and it does help.  Learn to lie on your back even if you hate it because it is the only position that does not cause abnormal muscle contracture.  Physically therapy can help by strengthening the rhomboid muscles.  I did this as well and it did improve during that time.  Muscle relaxants will help somewhat because pain makes muscles contract which causes more pain.  If it is due to tight muscles then you need the relaxants, otherwise tight muscles can change the anatomy of your bones and cause damage.  Also invest in a physical therapy stick where you can roll your neck muscles, shoulder and arm muscles and any other muscle you want.  Sometimes this stick is one of the only things that worked to temporarily relieve my pain.  There is also a smaller version of the stick called a trigger wheel.  I would get both.  Understand that muscles are supposed to lay flat, not be bunched up.  If you notice that you have bumps rather than flat muscles, you may have a problem with your muscles.  Carnitine deficiency can cause these issues to occur in muscles because they need carnitine to function properly.  That can be assessed by getting over the counter Aceytl-L-Carnitine.  Taking 400 to 800 mg a day will show you some improvement in at least a week, maybe less.  If you do notice an improvement, you should ask your doctor for a carnitine test.  If you have a true deficiency, your doctor will recommend a much higher dose.   Note that you will need to be off of carnitine for 30 days to get an accurate test.  So those are some things that have worked for me or been looked at to help diagnose the problem with my left arm.
Interesting that you mentioned staying warm helps.  Muscles contract more in the cold in muscular dystrophy so it's actually more painful to be cold.  Warmth helps them to relax so yours could be a dystrophy type problem with the muscles.  Carnitine deficiency is what I have and it is a muscular dystrophy.  I hate being cold because my muscles tense up.  I believe it was the Lyme disease that trigged the carnitine deficiency, but there are genetic causes as well as secondary causes in carnitine deficiency.
Well, you could definitley have GERD from your explanation of the gurgling bubbling sensation and that can cause chest pain which can radiate down your arm as well.  You don't necessarily need to have obvious symptoms of GERD to actually have GERD.  Lyrica which is gabapentin works pretty well for me, but if it doesn't work for you then it's probably not nerve pain because lyrica and gabapentin work on small nerve fibers.  I would look into an orthopedic cause and look into GERD.  I have GERD and I get that bubbling sensation when I forget to take my GERD meds.  If you have a variety of symptoms that don't seem related, but no one can explain them, then I would look into Lyme disease.  It's a multisystemic disease so it can cause a variety of different symptoms in different parts of the body.  That odd rash/spot on your shoulder could be the site of a tick bite.  The ticks that spread Lyme disease are no bigger than a sesame seed when adults.  You may have an atypical rash.  The EM rash seen is Lyme is the classic rash, but not the most typical rash seen.  A lot of people don't know that.  Most rashes from Lyme are atypical.
Was the surgery successful? I believe I have the same problem but dare not take the surgery as it is not a 100% cure. What is your comment?
Can't wait til the weekend to catch up and hope to find new friends.
They Tell me it tendinitis
Of all the comments YOURS was right on. About 8 months ago I woke up w/ a "stiff neck"; figured I slept in bad position. But it quickly escalated into a situation where I couldn't move my head AT ALL. Luckly a massage therapist lives down the street & a HARD massage (bruising) TOTALLY "unlocked" my neck...neck being the operate word. Every one says back or shoulders. I knew, very specially, it was radiating from the left side of my neck, almost behind the ear. GONE-----------
until a couple of weeks ago. This time, although it feels like its originating from the same place, my upper left arm is killing me, acheing. It feels like sciatica of the arm. Have you found out anything or solution for the problem?
I have the same pain that staryed just a few days ago I thought it was a pulled muscle and treated it w ice, heat, anti-inflammatory, and flexirel but the pain just won't go away. Unlike some my is worse once I wake up and start moving around it doesn't hurt so much during the night. I know that the pain is so painful I just want to cry.
Well I have pain in my arms the bone not muscle.  I also have strong numbness and tingling under my left arm pit. Before this starting happening I got some buldging veins in the inside of my right hand. The pain at NIGHT IS SO HARD. I take pain killers for diabetes neuropathy and these due not touch this pain. Now the pain in my bones are hurting if i bump my upper arms severe pain that holds on. Also I have found I can not hardly raise my arms above my shoulders now. I am asking for a bone scan to see if I have cancer in the bone.  Scared anyone have these symptoms too?
Cnecki,

Yours could definitely be a nerve being pinched somewhere or a problem with your vascular system.  The numbness and tingling can be due to neuropathy but it can also be caused by a blocked vessel or pinched nerve.  You can get bone pain, or what feels like bone pain, if it's vascular because it is cutting off the flow of oxygen being transported to that part of your body.

I wouldn't panic that it is cancer.  It's always a possibility, but a rare one.  If the worst scenario were true, cancer is much more treatable today than it was even 20 years ago.  People survive cancer and stay in remission for the rest of their lives.  My daughter is now 15 years in remission and in better health than the rest of us.
Your description is exactly what I've had for going on two years now. I thought it might have been a rota tor cuff. I'm 55 now and used to lift a lot of weights, but it doesn't feel like arthritis or bursitis. My arm would make a snapping sound when I reached into the back seat. It helps when I wear a tight band over my upper arm, and take an anti inflammatory, but it has never healed.
I have the same thing in both arms. If I reach behind me a little or  or lift them up(even slowly), I get a sudden severe pain that feels like I just tore some muscles. Then after only a minute or two it's gone until I make another sudden wrong movement like pulling an electrical cord. It's to the bone. I thought it was from mainly reading and sleeping a lot since I'm a student and my muscles were just wasting away and out of shape. I've read on some Paxil site that Magnesium might help since since I do take meds(not Paxil). Anyway exersize hasn't helped but I'm useless if I have to feel like I tore a muscle everytime I do something. Have to figure it out. Mainly shoulder and behind my arms.
hi, you describe exactly what i have had for a few days. I think it is related to computer use and heavy lifting. I swam this morning, very gently, as it aches so much and has no strength, and I am taking anti inflammatory- ibuprofen- and will seek medical advice if no improvement in a week. Strangely I also had a back twinge this morning and felt a bit faint twice, so it may be there is some disc involvement, hopefully not, Jenny (UK)
I have the same problem with both of my arms. Sleeping at night is worse-toss and turn alnight. Sleep with several pillows to keep the weight of my head off my arm. I can't stand to have my blood pressure taken because the bicep muscle is so sore. Dr is treating me for myofascial pain syndrome (muscle pain) until I have a MRI.
Same here dr is treating me for myofasical pain syndrome (muscle pain) until I have a MRI. Both bicep musles on both upper arm hurt. Hurts more at night sleep on several pillows to keep the weight of my head off my arms when I sleep helps. Also I use biofreeze it help for a few hrs.
Hello,What was your diagnosis?
Hi to all.
Been having similar Arm/Shoulder pain as everyone else for over 5 Months. Going for MRI next week. But in the mean time-
I think you will ALL find these MRI images of shoulder bursitis Tendinitis very interesting.
http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/ShoulderBursitisTendonitis.html
My husband started having pain and spasms in his left cervical back area.  He went to the hospital finally after a week of it getting worse and the pain was going down his left arm.  (Scarry) The doctor said pulled muscle or damaged nerve and it was irratating the lining around his heart, which explains the pain in the arm he stated.  Now 2 weeks later my husband is better in his back but the pain gradually went down the arm to his elbow with shooting pain at times up his shoulder, and his hand and figures feel numb.  I will post more as it unfolds.  Thanks for sharing.
Viewing 201-400 comments: