Upper Arm Pain mid arm between the elbow and shoulder
I have been looking everywhere for an answer, maybe someone here can.

About 1 year ago I began having pain in my right upper arm, between the shoulder and elbow, about mid arm where the biceps brachii muscle or brachialis muscle is.
I went to my Primary Physician who said it was a torn brachialis muscle.  Since I was working at a 2nd job, I thought it might be job related so I went through the whole Workman's Comp issue.  They sent me to 4 doctors who did nothing for me, finally the case was settled and my lawyer got most of the money, but I still have the pain.  It is an extreme ache down to the bone, that is unbearable at night.  Even with pain medicine and sleep aides, I get about 2-3 hours a night.  Finally, I went back to my own doctor and asked if he could help me, he said yes.  He sent me for an MRI, and then to an Orthopedic Surgeon.  The Surgeon said the MRI revealed a cyst inside the humerus bone about 1 cm by 5 mm, that would have to be "watched" to see if it grows, if it does, it could weaken the bone, and the slightest mishap could break the bone.  However, he said it could NOT be causing me so much pain.  He checked out my arm and noticed a hard soft tissue knot, and suggested removing it through surgery and it "might" relieve my pain.  So, 3 weeks ago I had the said surgery and it was removed (a hard soft tissue mass about the size of a marble).  No, this was not the cyst inside my humerus bone.  Anyways, I still have the pain, and it is extremely terrible at night (on a scale of 1 to 10, a 20 at night).  I even have the same pain, in the same place, in my left arm, but to a much lesser degree (maybe a 5-7 at night, but bearable).  I have tried many unsuccessful web searches, trying to find something that might lead me to an answer for what this is, so here I am grasping at cyber straws.  I have this incredible pain, that is extremely painful at night, no idea what it is, therefore  no idea how to cure it.  Please, if you have any ideas of where to research, I am definitely open and also AWAKE.  Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation in this matter, I deeply appreciate it.
sorry to hea about your SX,
i do not have this problem,just happened to come across your post,
i am an xraytech and have seen many xrays with bone cysts,
there is a genetic disorder called osteochondroma  (bone tumor) it is a cyst that forms in long bones (femur,humerus,forearm,tibfib)   i don't know what kind of TX there is for it, but your dr can order a bone scan  

they usually occur in children up to adolescent, but if they start growing again after puberty, they usually become cancerous causing pain,

this disease can be hereditary

talk to your dr,i hope it helps
That's a very scary thought. To your knowledge, would it be possible for these cysts to cause equal pain and be in the exact same place in both arms? Also, I would think that the pain would be all day and not just at night if it was cancer. I can't get an xray because I'm pregnant, but will ask my doctor about it. Thanks for your insight.

I have found that forcing myself to sleep on my back with my arms straight has lessened the pain a great deal.
as far as i know they are in the same spot ,
i don't know about the pain,
since you are pregnant ask your dr to do an ultrasound
good idea. Thanks!
Is then busitits possible for a 86 yr. old patient with pre-diabetis, arthritis and atrial fillibration or is this bicep and shoulder joint pain (left arm) a sympthom of a stroke?
Went to my doctor and she tested me for Lyme disease, and did a sed-rate.  I don't know the results yet. I'll keep updating. She thinks it's most likely just a side effect of the pregnancy. It would be nice if it is temporary and goes away when the baby is born.-
Please keep us updated.  I have the same pain only its from the elbow to the wrist and I am also 4 months pregnant... And I also have a toddler that I pick up... wondering if it could be the cause.
I started with this problem in Jan.  Woke up in the middle of the night with pain in right upper arm and some numbness in fingers.  Woke up every night since with severe pain which eventually started in exact place in left arm.  Saw Dr. after Dr. and was referred to a Physical medicine Dr. who diagnosed me with Carpal Tunnel (thru nerver conduction studies) and recommended I wear wrist braces at night.  After six weeks of unbearable pain, I used the wrist braces and the pain went away the first night almost completely and has been getting better every day.  I recommend this to anyone who has not been able to be diagnosed...you can buy these wrist braces in any pharmacy...good luck...
can't believe i found this site - pain is excruciating at night - i have tried heat tonight i will try ice - desperate for relief - the pain started about 2 weeks - now the pain is there every night -
I have this horrible pain that started in my left shoulder blade.  Now it is in my whole shoulder and my elbows are constantly hurting.  I keep worrying that I have some sort of bone cancer as I don't have move movement in my left shoulder and my elbows are restricting me from picking things up.  I smoke, drink alcohol, which I am sure does not help, but I can't get any relief!  Icy Hot every night, but that does nothing.
so many people with same symptoms i have had left arm pain for years on and off and it does make you think maybe is it heart related in some way however for me i noticed this pain is worst when i am under alot of stress and i mean alot then the pain is very unbearable it does help a little when you massage it one doctor told me years ago it was stress related who knows , well someone needs to go one that show medical mysteries.
I have been a hairdresser for 35 years and in 2000 I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel. I wore the brace and it helped a little. I had the nerve test (which was the most horrid test I have ever taken) and my left arm showed more nerve damage then the right. The left hand in my profession is the holding hand, it never does the cutting, blow dring, manicuring, pedicuring it just holds what ever I am working on. But I have complete mobility in the left shoulder, elbow, hand, except for the thumb. In the thumb I had such a pain. The right arm and hand never hurt but would tingle in the night and the thumb on that hand would hurt. The first 'hand specialist' I went to immediatly gave me a shot of corizone which hurt like heck and did absolutly NOTHING except make the joint swell and become more painful.  He told me surgery was the only relief. I was leary of surgery and told him I was interested in options other then the knife. He told me to make an appointment for surgery, or don't come back. I didn't. The second doctor didn't want to hear about alternatives either. I was lucky enough to find a chiropractor who helped me with the carpal tunnel. By abtaining skelatal health it aleviated most of the symptoms. My massage therapist helped tremendously with massage and excercise especially for the affected areas. Then in 2004 I started having pain in my arm between my shoulder and the elbow. I felt it when I lifted my arm out to the side or above my head bringing the arm straight down to the shoulder. It did not interfere with my work until about 9 weeks ago. I couldn't lift my right arm. I went to my chiroprator and he worked on the shoulder. He thought maybe I had pulled the shoulder out of the socket. He gave me excercises to do. Nothing. My massage therapist thinks it's the three muscles that come togather in the middle of the arm, shoulder, bicept, tricept. He thinks they 'glue' togather over the years from repetative motion.I can't get comfortable at night and the pain wakes me up several times a night. I fear I can't keep taken Ibuprofens everyday (which it takes about 12 to take just the edge off!) I use a topical pain reliving cream, a deep heat and still I am in pain. I even bought a product called Miracle Balls from Elaine Petrone who was a dancer and suffered from the same type of pain except in hers legs.You lay on the 4"  semi-soft balls and release the fasha, which in turn helps the muscles work better. Although I find I can work longer periods of time with out pain, the pain at night is terrible.  I finally turned to the internet and found this forum. What the heck is it? why are so many of us suffering from this with no answers? I'll take any suggestions anyone has...
I can't believe I just found this site.  I wish someone had better news.  I have the same pain and can't sleep at night at all.  I do have a terrible pain on my wrist on the bone on the pinkie side.  My ortho said the xrays showed arthritis in my elbow and some in the shoulder.  I have had two shots of corizone and the pain on the inside of the upper arm has now increased almost as badly as the outter upper arm.  Please, someone out there must have an answer, there are too many of us.
I'm with you smgkim .And I too wish someone had better news. But here's my story. It's sorta long but am wondering if any previous conditions tie into this one.

I am a 56 yr young female. Who is a Christian and loves the Lord. Before all this occurred and even after some what enjoyed living, traveling, dancing, gardening, being with friends and family to the fullest. But now I do as much as I can do.

I had a hysterectomy at age 28 in 1980, when I went from delivery to the operating room because of hemorrhaging. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis back in 1998.But it wasn't until I'd broken my arm, my foot, and then a rib that this was found and since then it has only gotten worse not better. And I've broken more ribs. Even being on Calcium, Evista, Actonel, and Boniva, all at the same time.

Also at that time I was diagnosed with COPD( I burned my lungs with ammonia & bleach cleaning a camper in the winter) The more I had bronchitis the worse I got till I only got pneumonia all the time. But I smoked for over 20 years too, a pack to a pack and a half a day. Then they noticed nodules in my lungs and liver in 2002 or 2003 I think. Yes I am not smoking now.

Was sepses in March of 2007 and they found me to have I forgot what they called it but it was like an ulcerated colitis that could have leaked into my system. I also lost the use of my legs at that time and had to keep strengthening them so as to walk again. But I still can't scooch and just stand up. It's an all out effort.

But this all led to having an operation in August of 2007 as I was down to about 109 lbs. could no longer eat without vomiting and severe pain. They thought they were going to be removing 10 to 20 inches, but Praise the Lord (yes I believe in miracles) it was just a really terrible like strangled intestines from previous surgeries causing adhesions and scar tissue.

And now, well it started months ago with an excruciating pain when I went to reach for something. The type of pain that would drop you to your knees and definitely bring tears to your eyes. A gnawing pain in your bones and muscles. This led to pain in my mid upper arm once in awhile. This spread then to my shoulder, collar bone and shoulder blade. And then to my elbow and wrist on occasion. With sometimes numbness in my pinky finger and the one next to it but that only happened twice. Now is constant and still excruciating if I move just right. I am having this severe pain, at night mostly in my upper arms that even pain medication and naprosin won't take away and it is only getting worse and now it is in both arms. I have it in the day time too but the pain isn't as bad as at night. At night it is on a scale of 1-10 it is like off the chart around 20 and waking me several times a night. I'm a side sleeper who can't now and even on my back if my arms are moved just right it's excruciating.  I can't put on my bra or take it off by just reaching behind myself. I have trouble dressing myself; sometimes I can't hold a glass without the pain. I can no longer pick my 17 month old grand daughter up. I can only lift my arms sideways up so far or straight up or behind me. My husband and I have to shower together because I can't shampoo my own hair even. Even combing or brushing is an effort. And so far they are searching for the answer to this one. They have taken x-rays to make sure nothing is broken again. But leaning more towards an arthritic condition or tendonitis I think. I don't know but I'm not so sure. Personally I was thinking more bone cancer as my family is riddled with it but I'm no MD.
I do not have any answers for you.  However, hopefully, I can offer some hope...

I had the pain you describe years ago, except I described it like unto a screw being screwed directly into the bone midway between my right elbow and shoulder.  I had gone to the chiropracter often and he said he had no idea of what it could be.  I experienced it for years, yet for about two years, it receded into a memory.(Therein lies the hopeful part...it can go away!)

I tend to believe it may be originating in the neck because after weekly chiro visits for neck adjustments to no avail, I decided to experiment with different lifestyle changes.  What I ended up doing that solved my decades of shoulder and neck problems, was to use two pillows and sleep on my side in order to keep my neck and shoulders at a 90 degree angle while I slept.  This absolutely cured decades of pain, discomfort and adjustments-including my upper arm pain.  

Lately, I've been staying with my daughter...therefore a different bed and pillows and have begun to revert to tummy sleeping.  I believe this could be why my arm pain is returning.  Therefore, no matter the comfort level of the bed, I am going back to my two pillow side sleeping.

I feel your pain and your frustration.  However, I encourage you to seek an answer for yourself.  Try sleeping in different positions, whatever it takes.  I always think of the old joke about the guy who goes to the doc and says "it only hurts when I do this"...the diagnosis, stop doing whatever it is you're doing!

Same pain as most of you have described started about 10 years ago.  Have been to many different doctors and can find nothing concrete.  About one year ago I started sleeping a few more hours each night and found the pain had lessened greatly.  Now I am back to sleeping only 3-4 hours a night and the pain is back.  Cannot figure out what I was doing to get the sleep level up, but certainly wish I could....maybe diet, stress level or ??????.  Certainly know one thing:  less sleep = more pain.
I have this pain too.....in my right arm halfway up.  There is a lumpy area right in the muscle....and sometimes it feels hot and otherwise very tender.  At night it "heats up" and throbs and is extremely painful.  Lately, the left arm is beginning also.  About 12 years ago I had carpel tunnel in wrist.......though it was called DeQuervain's disease.  I had the survery and it has been fine.  But that was excruciating.  The brace did not help.  The casing around the nerve was so thickened it was putting heavy pressure on the nerve.  This is different.  Does not feel like a nerve thing at all.  2 years ago I had a heart attack so maybe it is related.  Circulatory?  The lump was in my arm before the heart attack.  Each time I have mentioned it to doctors......it gets brushed off as irrelevant.  One doctor told me to consult a rheumatologist.  I haven't done that yet.  I am being tested for Lyme's.  It is so mysterious that we all have this and doctors don't even seem to know what we're talking about.  Sometimes I think maybe it is osteoporosis happening in the bone but it really seems to be more in the muscle mass (though the pain feels "bone deep").   I is just so frustrating.    
I have a severely disabled 15 yr old child that is total care, so I have been doing a lot of lifting for many years.  About 6 mos ago the pain started in my L arm.  At the time it felt like it was the muscle or tendons, kind of like they had been strained or over used.  The pain continued to increase with night time being the worst.  Since then the pain is in my shoulder, collar bone, mid arm (between the shoulder and elbow), elbow and wrist.  My elbow is now very sore after typing or writing if it's not well supported on a desk.  Although it doesn't hurt to the touch.  My range of motion has decreased and I'm losing strength as well as the same symptoms are beginning in my R arm now.  I've had an xray which showed nothing.  Went to PT but wasn't getting better.  I had an MRI yesterday with preliminary results being mild arthritis of the AC Joint.  I have yet to talk to my dr.
I have had this pain in both arms ( much worse in my left) for many years.  Currently it is almost unbearable.   I do sleep on my stomach with my arm bent under my pilllow.  This is the most comfortable for me and the easiest position to fall asleep.  However, I soon wake up to horrible pain.   I have discovered if I sleep on my back with my arms straight beside me propped up on pillows I do not have as much pain and it is somewhat easier to sleep.

I was amazed to find this blog.  I thought I was pain intolerant or something.
I suffered with this excruciating upper arm pain for 6 months which kept me from sleeping, the pain was so bad I was almost suicidal, depressed and crying all the time.  Was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome which they said was causing the pain in my upper arms. The compression of the median nerve can cause pain all the way up to the neck and is not relieved by pain meds because it is nerve pain. I finally caved in and decided to have carpal tunnel release surgery in the right hand (even though the doctor said it was well advanced and may not relieve the pain in my arm if there is damage to the nerve). I am happy to say that the pain in my upper arm and the numbness in my hand is completely gone! It's been a long time since I was able to sleep all night, it's amazing, and no more wearing braces on my arms to bed which did little to relieve the symptoms anyway! I kick myself in the butt for waiting so long, I could have saved myself a lot of pain and suffering.  In a few months I will have surgery on my left hand. For those of you who still have undiagnosed upper arm pain, that feels like it's deep inside the bone, gets worse at night, is not relieved by pain meds, I recommend you see a doctor that will perform Nerve Conduction Studies to see if the pain could be from carpal tunnel syndrome. I wish you all luck...
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.