Upper Leg - Muscle Tear??
I feel I have a torn muscle at the top of my leg, it throbs and is painful enough that I have no chance of sleeping (should really get some pain relief!)

I'm sure I did the same a few months back, from memory it hurt for a day or two and then disapeared over night (making me think it may have been a trapped nerve). I'm not so sure about this and fairly confident it is a tear though.

It feels like it's right at the top of my sartorius, however when prodding the muscle I can only really make it hurt when I press firmly and directy toward my femur, this makes me think it may be a psaos tear (which I know are tight and week, so susceptible).

Any way I can diagnose without the help of a doctor?

Help, I'm really in a fair bit of pain :-S :-D
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
It could be a nerve compression. The nerve compression is superficial in this case (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve), that comes from the hip area and gets pinched. This condition is called meralgia paresthetica and is often due to weight gain or wearing tight clothes and belts. Losing some weight or wearing loose clothes and belts often helps relieve the pain/numbness/tingling. You can apply local analgesic and see.
It can also be a clot in deep vein. Yes, muscle injury is a possibility.
However you will need to see a doctor for confirmation. Take care!
Blimey, meralgia paresthetica symptoms do see to match it very well. I rang the doctor and he said it sounded like a tear and just R.I.C.E.

So cheers, now I can go about treating it in the correct way! I have just started at the gym and gained a bit of muscle weight (not fat, thank you very much), I suppose extra muscle or tightness could be pinching the nerve?

Thank you again!