Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Upper Stomach Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Upper Stomach Pain

Is it common for Pancreatitis to reoccur in people who have type 2 diabetis?  I have pain in my upper stomach and am not sure if it's GERD or pancreatitis.

This discussion is related to Upper stomach problems.
I found one study that could help. It was done in Tiwan, but showed that people with Type 2 are very prone to pancretitis. Here's the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21577242

If you Google it, you find more recent studies.

Now, you said just the general upper stomach. Usually with GERD, you'll also have what feels like heartburn, and burning up the throat, as well. It feels sort of like you want to throw up. (Both my little sister and myself have it).

I would like to know, where in the abdomen is your pain? (Right or left) because that could help.

I don't know a lot about what to do about this issue. My suggestion is that if you have Type 2, go to the doctor. Get this fixed right away so that you can get better. The pancreas isn't the kind of organ you wanna mess with.

hope you feel better!

~ Em

hope you feel better!

~ Em
I have upper pain stomach too and I have done an ultrasound and they couldn't find anything so my doctor believes it is just stomach acid.
Have you had pancreatitis? If so, does this feel the same? Either way, it would probably be best to have it checked out. Pancreatitis can become chronic and can repeat quite often, especially in diabetics due to already having disease in pancreatic cells. Give your doc a call. If pain, nausea, etc gets severe, go to ER... Better safe than sorry! Good luck!
I have had pancreatitis before and this does feel very similar.  Fortunately, this time it went away but pancreatitis is extremely painful and doesn't go away.  I was kept in the hospital for 7 days, no food, no water, intravenous fluids and strong pain medication every 2 to 4 hours as needed!  I NEVER want to experience that again but I can't help but fear that I will.  My pancreas was damaged by both the diabetes and by the pancreatitis so my chances are high of having this reoccur.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions from last week.
Thank you for your help with my question.  The pain was on the right side of my upper abdomen and it did go away after a couple of days.  I had pancreatitis once before about 2 years ago and this felt very much the same.  The only way to be sure is to have a catscan w/contrast.  I hope and pray I never get that again.  It is extremely painful.  I was in hospital for 7 days with no food or water, just intervenous fluids and pain medication (dilauda)!  I get so scared when I think I feel it coming back!
Lisa
A related discussion, Stomach was started.