Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
VERY red, swollen labia minora immediately after intercourse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am so baffled by my condition, which started a couple months ago. Was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis first. Then a yeast infection which was treated with Diflucan. My nurse practictioner told me to not have intercourse for about 10 days to allow the yeast to clear up. So, I waited the 10 days. Then, after intercourse, I would feel so uncomfortable - itchy, burny, just not right, but the most alarming thing was that my labia minora (especically one side) would turn bright red and swell up like a balloon. Very hard, and swollen and would take several hours for the swelling to subside. This only happens during sex - other than that, I have no symptoms, and no swelling. I went back to a different doctor thinking maybe the yeast infection hadn't cleared up - got another dose of Diflucan, lab results showed NO YEAST, and waited another 2 weeks before trying sex again.

Same thing. Swelled up literally like a balloon - bright red, hard labia, uncomforable feeling at the base of vaginal opening. I have no visible sores, only feel this after/during sex and chlamydia/gonorrhea test are negative. I have not changed partners, have not changed soaps, lubricants, sheets anything different.

Any ideas? I am going for a second opinion with an MD in a couple weeks - but in the meantime, I am freaking out.
Are you using latex condoms, or any type of spermicide?
No -
well, it is not that difficult to not have sex, try doing that for the couple of weeks before you go for the second opinion.  I am sure that it will not be that difficult.  Then do it again before you go that way they know what they are looking at.  It is hard to diagnose something when you can not see the problem.  Do you know partner's sexual history? he could have given you something too.
Hi it is a great possbility if your not using a condom that your partner has a yeast infection  that they keep passing on to you and that person might need to be on medication themselves to stop giving it back and forth.  good luck
I think you need to see your doctor. I had a similar problem and eventually found out it was a bartholin cyst. It was hard to diagnose because it only happened when I had sex and the swelling would go down by the time I got to the doctor, but finally they figured it out.

It could be a million things, but bartholin cysts are aggravated by sex and they swell up because the bartholin gland is the gland ( we have quite a few in our vaginas) that secretes the fluid that makes you "wet" so it happens when you have sex.

They don't go away on their own and can get increasingly painful and problematic. See your gynecologist.
Also check on semen allergies.  Just reading about that recently.
Thanks for all the input - went to the doc today - should know something soon, hopefully.  In the meantime, you bet...I'm taking a break from intercourse.
hi, my name is CV. I experience the same symptoms you described (hard, swollen labia during and after intercourse, yeast infection diagnosis, I've taken the prescribed medication and the symptoms would still come back). I've got the Pap test  done and the results were   normal. I've also taken the chlamydia, gonorrhea tests - negative. I've seen  2 gynecologists so far and none of them was able to solve this problem (they prescribed the yeast infection medication but... no results). SO, please let me know what diagnosis you've got and how you solved the problem. thank you
hi, about three years back, I experienced this aswell, immediately after intercourse one side of my labia minora and sometimes both became very red hard and swollen like a balloon, then after a few hours it would go away. Soon after I was diagnosed with bacteria vaginosis, but i had forgotten to mention the swelling and discumfort after intercourse to the doctor, however I treated the BV, and everything was fine there after. this is now three years later and randomly after intercourse the same thing happened again, except this time the swelling and redness and pain hasnt gone away and it has been almost 24hrs, I am going to see the doctor sometime hopefully within the week but just to give me a piece of mind for now, could you tell me what your diagnosis was and how you got rid of it, if that's the case?, i am terrified!
I am relieved that I am not the only one that has had trouble with this situation. I have the same exact symptoms, but by the time I go to the doctor, the swelling disappears.

I hope all goes well, and we can find the source of this problem, untilthen...no sex.
I have the same problem.

After sex my labia swells up. It is swollen all the way around except the front toward my clitoris area, the rest of the labia is swollen, hard, extrememly uncomfortable I have a hard time walking. It is very frightening to me.
Do any of the rest of you have pain or any bleeding during intercourse?
I do and I wonder if it's related to this.
This problem has been ongoing for me for about a year however I just let it go away on its on...
at the gyno I mentioned the pain during intercourse but forgot to tell about the swelling i guess because it wasnt affecting me at the time.
I agree its hard to make it to the doc while the swelling is there...
If anyone finds out what our problem is....please let me know!

Good luck to all
wow.
good to know i'm not alone on this one.
i've had the exact same problems. it was so bad, i couldn't walk for four days. it didn't help that i kept having to leave the house and try to walk around and not tell anyone why i was wobbling.
but yah, the first time it happened was with a condom, which i don't usually use, so the doctor thought it was just a latex allergy.
the next time was without so then i started getting freaked out.
i did the whole yeast infection treatment, and it didn't help.
i even tried seeing a naturopath about it, and they said that there are tests that aren't normally done, that are much more in depth, but you have to pay out of pocket for them (i'm from canada. health care is usually free) and she told me a story about a girl who had similar symptoms, tested negative for everything, got the test, and it turned out she had some small, unusual bacterial infection that doesn't come up on standard tests. they treated her with borax and she was fine.
i opted to just get the borax treatment, because they told me that's what the treatment would be regardless of the diagnosis. so i did that (2 weeks borax suppositories, 1 week vitamin E capsules, 2 weeks acidophilus) and unfortunately, it didn't help.
2 doctors and a naturopath all gave up on me. they started saying that maybe it was psychosomatic.
i think that's ********.
after 7 years of having sex i decide to mentally make my labia swell up until i can't walk?
anyhow, my current boyfriend has a smaller penis and we use coconut oil as lube (no creepy chemicals, and it helps kill yeast!)
and i only get mild swelling and discomfort, most of the time.

so... like everyone else,
i hope someone figures this out for us :P
oops!!! i didn't mean borax *duh*
i meant boric acid.
hahaha. sorry bout that
well i to have the same problem except this is the first time it ever happen to me.....after sex my labia became very swollen and red, when i touch it, its a little painful im so scared and dont knov what to do can some one help me please
I have been having the exact same problem for 2 years now. I have had the same boyfriend for 3 years and it makes me sad that we cant make love anymore without me feeling pain. I have been to too many doctors to count and I feel like giving up. I have even cried in the doctors office but they still cant figure out what it is. Please if anyone figures it out, let us know whats really wrong. I wish so badly to have sex again. I am only 22, there should be so many more years of good sex left for me! Help!!!!!

P.S. I usually either shower or put ice on myself afterwards and it makes the pain subside a little.
this just happened to me tonight not the first time but maybe third and its really bad i started freakin out because the guy was very! little very very little. and i didnt see a reason for it to have happened and this is the worst of all times. but i also wanted to let you guys know that i heard that it could have something to do with one of the glands that make you wet was damaged during sex so its gettin agervatated and not produsing enough Wettness for your labia to not get raw. and also if anyone has any idea why one would get boils on the outside labia. my doc is freakin stupid first she told me in was a gland and then an ingrown hair and then after it was boils and there was nothing anyone could do about it but to not shave and iv stopped shavein as much but their still comin and going as they please so if anyone has any idea let me know
Hi everyone, its me again. I think I may have figured it out!!!! There is no guarantee yet, but I think we may have a condition called vaginismus! I finally found a doctor that told me about this and I've been reading up on it........This is the closest Ive ever come to finding something with all the right symptoms! Aaaaand you can cure yourself!!!

I highly recommend looking up vaginismus on the internet and checking to see if you think that this might be what it is. Here is a good site that I liked, just copy and paste the link in:

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=1804&channel_id=7&relation_id=25710

Let me know if you think this could be it.......I really hope it is and we can all go back to having good sex!!!! Good Luck

Oh no...... I didnt get the whole link in so maybe try this one instead:

www.vaginismus.com

Happy reading!
yeah i seem to be having to the same problem. it started out as an itchy irritation tha began swelling up one t\side then the other it started yeasterday and it seems to be getting worse i have a hard time walking and spend most of my time in the tub the swelling has not gone down can anybody help
Hi all, i have had this problem for the last few years, i have taken upto a year out of sex, left my partner, been tested for everything you possibly can and then i decide to attempt again only a week ago with an ex from 15 years ago and bob's your uncle, swollen, red, sore... sheer hell. i have seen gynae's galore, sex clinics, doctors and no-one seems to have any answers for me. I had a child 4 years ago after being told i wouldn't and then developed this issue when he was about 18 months when i regained a relationship. I put it down to his birth causing this as it was pretty traumatic down there.

I wish us all the luck out there to resolve this problem as i cannot face even seeing my ex again as 15 years ago i was a nymph and enjoying every second now i can't handle a second!
Reading this makes me really concerned about if this is fatal or life long. It happened to me for the first time last night and I'm only 17! I noticed pain because I wasn't as "wet" as usual so I wanted to stop, but then I went to see what was wrong and I noticed these same exact symptoms that everyone else is talking about. I'm really worried!!! Has anyone discovered a cure?
OMG this happened to me last night too! Im 26 and 8 weeks pregnant- Ive had the same sex partner for 3 years and all of a suddenly after sex my right labia swelled up like a balloon- i iced it and its back to normal- but im scared to have sex- because that freaked me out!! I think it might be because of some wetness gland- because it seemed like i couldnt get wet- but we had had intercourse anyway using natural lube- (saliva) lol
Never again! If anyone can come up with a cure- please share-
wow guys it is amazing how many of us share the same symptoms and no one has figured out what it is yet! to be straightforward i have had alot of sex and this never happened to me until about a year ago and it completly freaked me out! it didnt happen again until about 2 weeks ago and then again last nite..it is really frustrating. The only difference in mine is that i never experience any pain, only severe swelling. Has anyone else had just swelling? and i also noticed that i am not as wet down there either so maybe it does have something to do with the glands..has anyone had that proven?
It's weird. I've had a lot of sex over the past couple of years. I was with the same partner for 1 1/2 years and never had this problem once. After we broke up I had another partner, never had the problem either. I had then slept with someone else and the swelling occurred and I freaked out., It ended up going away a couple days later. The next partner I had was for a while, and this never happened again. Then recently I had a new partner and two times this has occurred. I wish I knew what was going on.
Hey everyone. The same thing is happening to me. I have been with my man for a year and never had any problems. However, now my vagina is getting swollen immediately after intercourse. Everything is fine in the beginning im wet and wanting him, then while we are "making love" everything is still great, then when we are done i go to the bathroom and clean myself and there it is my vagina is swollen!!!  It does not hurt at all but its scary to see my vagina so swollen. After a few hours its back to normal. Also my man has noticed bleeding when he is penetrating me(barely any but its there) I'm going to my doctor this week.Once i find out what is going on I'll let everyone know. Wish me luck.

Forgot to mention that i used to use the lubricant KY warming liquid and had to stop because it would cause irritation and swelling. Now i use a water based lubricant which is great no irritation or swelling (doesnt last as long) but it does work.
Look at NVA (National Vulvodynia Association) on line.  Sounds like you have this and need a "special" gynocologist that specializes in this problem.  Good luck.
I am not sure if this will help, but I had that problem a few years ago before I started shaving my pubic hairs on a regular basis. This stop all the yeast infections and cutting the labia with the hairs. If you do not shave, consider it but be very carefull !!!always shave down not up!
Everything you guys are talking about is exactly what is happening to me! it has been so uncomfortable for me to have sex and i notice i am not getting that wet and a couple days ago i just thought it was swollen from having sex. I had my kid over two years ago and it got really swollen after having him and this past month has been the first time for me having sex again! i just looked at it earlier today and it is swollen on the right side of my labia minora and it is really red. I am really worried! it isn't painful but the feeling feels like how an ingrown hair would feel or something, but of course i know it isn't. I haven't read every single post on here yet but i will, and if nobody knows what this is please help! thank you!!
Hi it's Blossom i went to the doctor and he did a million test and everything is negative. the reason why my vagina would swell up was because of the KY lubricant I am allergic to. The doctor did a test on my vagina with the KY lubricant and immediately it swelled up. He told me to use only water based lubricant. My vagina has not swelled up since November.

I wish you guys all the best. Good luck! Hope this nightmare ends for all.

could it be that we are all sensitive to food additives or something like that, as in my case, i had the same problem for so long, tried all home remedies, live on my own, so no sex for ages, so the person who says no sex, forget it, live plain yoghurt helps to soothe, some medications actually cause even more pain.
I do not hane the swelling problem that most of you are mentioning but i have an irritation and redness on my labia minora all the time. I have been treated for BV and yeast infections many times over the past 5-6 years and continue to have the same problem. I go to the Dr and they tell me that my tests are neg yet it is still persistant. I have been with the same guy for the 5-6 years and he is beginnig to believe that i am not interested in him because i can't have an orgasm due to the discomfort. It takes me at least 10 mins to get wet enough on the outside to relax and get used to the pain. i was given a steroid to put on the area but i discontinued use of it because it seemed to make it worse and more raw. i feel like i have tried e-thing ( changed soap, underware habits) and nothing works!! I am so frustrated and it is causing problems in my relationship physically and mentally. I am only 29 and no one has an answer for me.
Hey Ladies, you may want to try looking at your undergarments and I am sure you will find your problems. This was happening to me also and as soon as I started wearing 100% cotton undergarments made in the USA my problems dissolved. I also stopped wearing very tight jeans and went to the looser jean style. I was wearing only Victoria secret items and this is what was causing my yeast infections and pains. The price we pay to look good for our guy.
THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME TODAY..I HAD SEX WITH THIS GUY FOR THE SECOND TIME TODAY! THE FIRST TIME IT HURTED BUT IT WAS BECAUSE I HAVENT HAD SEX IN LIKE 8 MONTHS AND HE WAS KINDA BIG, BUT WHEN WE DID IT TODAY..IT WAS A LIL PAINFUL TOWARDS THE END AND IT HURTED WHEN I WALKED..WHEN I LOOKED DOWN THERE. MY LABIA WAS 3 TIMES BIGGER AS THE OTHER ONE...IT HAPPEN TO ME ABOUT A YEAR AGO BUT IT CLEARED UP...I AM GOIN TO THE DOCTOR FRIDAY IF ITS STILL REMAINS..I SCARED BEAUSE I DONT KNO WAT IS WRONG...HELP
i have the same problem every time i have sex it didnt start until i had sex for the 5th or 6th time. but now it happens everytime.
i dont know what to do and my parents can not know that i am having sex again!
i dont know what to do help me please!!!!!!
the same thing happened to me last night, sex hurt but i didn't stop and when i finally did my labia looked like a ball and it was hard and extremely painful, i was so scared i looked online right away and came across thing, i iced it like some of you said and the swelling went down overnight, but has anyone figured out how to prevent it from happening again during / after sex?
What the annoying thing is the person who started this thread in 2006 has never replied back to anyone with a cure or any details of how to prevent it, whereas when they started this there was loads of people willing to help them.  I have been to the doctor and done numerous urine samples, i've now got an appointment to go to the hospital to have my uretha stretched.. doesnt sound good but maybe this will help, who knows..
I'm relieved and astonished to find out that i'm not the only one with these symptoms. like most of you I've tried everything to help myself get on with a normal sex life.
Most doctors dont know about this condition because there is not alot of information on it.
im having the same problem-- i had sex with my ex boyfriend last night and my right labia lip is swollen and red.  I cant walk and todays valentines day so im going to visit my current boyfriend at college. i cant go there wobbling...and i cant have it swollen he will know! HELP PLEASE!!!! i need this gone PRONTOOOOOO...ugh=[=[
hiya girls, i get exactly the same thing more or less everytime i have sex with my boyfriend of 4 years. Its happend for the past 2 years, even when im very wet. Sometimes when i get it,
after the swelling goes down it turns into thrush, itchy etc...its ruining what i have of a sex life due to me panicking about it and sex hurting because of it, i really dont know what to do anymore
i am so happy to have found this active conversation, less a hour ago i was masturating and after finishing i noticed that my labia minora had swelled and gotten extremly hard i ran to the bath room to wash up and put cold water down there hoping it would help it didnt do anything. Around this time The swelling has started to go down and it's getting softer..i almost cried until reading everyones comments who seem to share the EXACT same symtoms (symptoms) as me. i think im going to take ashley 6561's adivice and stay out of the victoria secret's underwear section ( i recently tried wearing them for the first time earlier this week and i had a pair on today), other than that i cant think of anything else that may have caused this problem.. im still terrified that something may be wrong wih me. please continue this conversation, it's nice knowing that everyone with these symtoms (symptoms) havent experienced any extreme health problems..
Here's my story:
Last Saturday, valentines day out of all days....i had the same problem... swollen labia (all the swelling was external), i had a lot of pain towards the bottom esp on the left side, excess discharge (more than normal), and skin changes that turned red. I haven't had sex for almost 2 months. I had no clue what was going on so i soaked in a HOT bath for about 45 min to ease the swelling. Obviously it didn't work. So i went to the ER. They said I had an allergic reaction to one of my bath products. (which is BS) I've never been allergic to anything in my life, food, ointments, lotions, creams, anything...and all of a sudden allergic reaction...i don't think so. I had a conversation with my mother (she's an nurse practitioner) and she and i had come to a consensus on the underlying symptoms ...well for me. All of the symptoms I had are related to the Bartholin's Gland. Which is the gland that makes you "wet", any kind of blockage from that gland itself regardless usually it will give you all the symptoms.

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/bartholins_gland_cyst.jsp

The blockage can be for many different reasons...the most common are an abscess, cyst, or just "natural" blockage of fluids.

This is my self diagnosis for myself until i see my Gyn. in 4 days. I hope maybe it might give an insight to someone else on their problem as well. :-)
I'm soooo glad to see I'm not the only one with this and yes... it's a shame that the one who started this didn't share her solution :-( ...anyway... this is a first time for me with this and it's the same... red, hard, burning and swollen like a balloon....
If anyone gets an answer PLEASE!!! share it!!!!
thanks!!
edelweiss, you never told us what your doc said, hopefully all is well. I too suffered these baffling symptoms last night following sex. My husband had been on a buisness trip for 5 days& was, uh, happy to see me...(create your own speculations here,lol) anyway, upon finishing, I noticed the same symptoms, we had snuggled up in bed & of course I was sore & had a slight burning sensation "down there". I thought it was just due to "lack of use" when he was out of town, but when I went to roll over, I thought, something doesn't feel right. It felt like I had swelling down there and so in the dark, I felt & was shocked. So shocked I did my own little inspection. I am assuming it is yeast due to an antibiotic I had started mid-week due to sinus infection. I immediately put an ice pack upon it, & swelling was reduced in under 15 minutes, however the burning feeling remains to the level of just being a nuisance. I started taking Diflucan this AM & am eager to see what happens.
Hello Ladies, My name is Matt I am a nurse and have had this happen to my partner. I have a few theories on the causes; Bartholin glands are paired glands are approximately 0.5 cm in diameter and are found in the labia minora in the 4- and 8-o’clock positions. Typically, they are nonpalpable. Each gland secretes mucus into a 2.5 cm duct. These two ducts emerge onto the vestibule at either side of the vaginal orifice. With that said numerous conditions can cause blockage of said orifice in turn causing swelling; pick your poison.... I have noticed after prolonged missionary intercourse my partner will swell up immediately after, my thought is my penis is the blocking agent. Another time she recently finished a yeast infection, again prolonged missionary... same results. If the intercourse is a hodge poge of position with out prolong vigorous penetration she has no ill effect. Further more I would suggest looking into a possible cyst in said gland, which are common and cause the same results. This is just my thoughts and idea's, I am not a  doctor so please seek medical attention where applicable.
I am amazed at how many people have experienced these symptoms with no "real" answer .... I too have had the same things happen.  I am 50 years old and a registered nurse of 28 years.  This has been very frightening for me and like the rest of you ... have speculated and been fearful of many things ... especially an STD.  I have been treated for bacterial vaginosis, yeast infections and have had every other STD ruled out.  I have tried ice, heat, baths, creams .... you name it.  And still, there is no explanation.  Bartholin's cysts are a possibility ... however not usually in the labia minora ..... any input/answers/ideas would be FANTASTIC!!!!!  
I THINK I CAN HOPEFULLY HELP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have had many of the same symptoms as everyone here and have desperately been trying to find an answer to my problem as everytime i go back to my doctor he gives me antibiotics and treats it as an infection and i have given up on him. Just tonight i have found a detailed article on "Bartholin Glands". I had no idea what these were but i read about them im this forum n decided to research. The article will explain them to you but they can cause cysts abscesses or just blockages in these glands which can cause SWELLING*** (key word) of the labia minora. this website describes how to treat it how it happens EVERYTHING!!! the treatment describes having a bath twice a day to clear blockages or let the abscess empty itself. I don't have an abscess but the blockage idea sounds hopeful as the glands aren't able to secrete fluid that produces when the labia are touched resulting in the labia to irritate and swell. There is also a list of medication that helps this problem!!!!!!

i am going to print the article and show my doctor see what he thinks but for now im going to go and get in the bath and get rid of this sh*t.

Really hope i could help at least someone!!!

Will get back to you on results
ok im an idiot.... i forgot to paste the web address ....re: above

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/777112-overview
I found that with a certain partner I was having the same symptoms everyone else described. This hasn't happened before with past partners and my current partner this doesn't happen with either. The difference with these partners is the one I had the problem with was an avid smoker and meat was the main part of his diet. Past and current partner/s are/were non-smoking vegans or didn't eat much meat. After research I found that the symptoms are similar to SEMEN ALLERGIES. There are different proteins in semen that you can have allergies to giving you these symptoms. Smoking and eating a lot of meat will have different proteins in the semen obviously and that is where my allergy comes from i believe. My current partner doesn't smoke and is vegan and I do not have this problem what so ever anymore. So talk to your partner about his diet if you are having this problem maybe for you it won't be smoking or eating a lot of meat but hopefully that can give some of you an answer.

here's a website with more information:
http://coolnurse.healthology.com/sexual-health/article1664.htm
I am getting the exact same thing you are all describing... SWOLLEN LABIA pretty much right after sex, and it usually lasts upto 10 hours, which is all good if i have sex with my partner at night, but if we have sex in the morning or during the day, i am left with a swollen labia for the rest of the day.....

I have had a few sexual partners and the partner i am with now i was having sex with him for over a year before these symptoms just started out of no where.. and now for FOUR months i have had to deal with a swollen labia after sex... and even if i don't get swollen, i am worried i will be during sex... which takes the pleasure out of sex..

The only thing that i have found that helps is lube.... my OBGYN suggested Astroglide, although i have been using something else and have had ok results with not swelling..

My OBGYN who i just saw yesterday didn't really know what it was, she tested me for a yeast infection and i was totally fine, she suggested it could be an allergic reaction to soaps etc that my partner is using... so i am going to try showering before sex..... but then after reading this page... it would be weird to develop a allergic reaction to sperm after a year..... it would have happened from the beginning of our relationship right??

Also, when i have masturbated i have NOT had swelling.... which brings me back to an allergy... rather than a blockage of my gland..... but i think i need to do a few more trials on this first just to make sure... don't want to blame my partner for nothing..

I will update after playing with myself a few more times, as like i said, that would rule out the blockage... and maybe we all have an allergic reaction to our partners soap, laundry detergent or sperm??

hey , uhm .. i feel really weird writing on this because ive never done this before but anyways. im so scared because this has only happened to me twice . i thought it was my one partner so me & him split up . but the first time it happened with him , my labias got really swollen , red & it hurt a little bit when i walked. it went away a few hours later. But then i just had sex last night with a different boy, and i wasnt getting ' wet ' or anything . and then right after we had sex thats how it got again. im really nervous like a few girls said because i wanna know if i have to live  with this the rest of my life or can this go away forever? & im only 16 , im so young. and im just freaked out. and i cant tell my mom because she will flip ? should i take me & a friend to a hospital or something ?

if somebody can write back to me , id appriciate it.
thanks x33
& right now i just like ' played ' with myself to see if it would happen and it did .. idk what to do i feel like crying because im so scared now .
well its happened to me just now, and its happened a few times before.. over about 5 years it's maybe happened 4 times. it normally happens if ive had sex just after ive finished my period, and my theory is that it's just a bit more tender down there than normal and that's why it happens. i find the swelling is normally on one side more than another (not actually sure why, that seems a bit strange!)
i just go to to toilet with an ice cube after and sit there for about 15 minutes untill i feel better. if you do ice yourself make sure you dont put ice directly onto your skin, it's got to be covered with tissue or something or you might end up with it sticking to you (eek...haha)
i dont think its anything serious to be honest. but im no doctor
it does always seem to be just after my period's finished and if i'm "dryer" than normal. and the missionary position..
i certainly dont think it should stop anyone enjoying sex cause they're worrying so much about it.. that would probably stop you getting wet and increase the chance of it happening again
just my ideas here
yes of course i have it to {otherwise id just be a freak reading all this **** for nothing}. this is about the third time its happened, i thought  it was just because i wasnt wet enough or something like that. NOW im worried about a whole mess of things that could be wrong. im 16 too and it ***** because women much older than me dont know whats wrong with them either. for me, i figured it could be the gland thing(makes sense), the allergy to my boy (hes a big time smoker and one of these posts related it to his semen), or the underwear (seems unlikely but i do wear victoria secret aside from boxers). im not too worried about it, i mean i am but apearantly stressing over it doesnt help cure us and at least it doesnt always happen.

i was really only looking for a short term fix: stop the swelling cause i cant walk and its pretty obvious why; but i ended up finding out alot thanks to these posts. i figure ill try ice or maybe ointment.

thanks ladies..and some dudes, means alot. hope someone can help us all out some day soon. till then, happy *******.
This currently....(about an hour ago) happened to me. My boyfriend and I were worried so he made me some ice in a wet towel and we read almost everyones entry. Glad to say that my swelling has already subsided a large portion. Of course it may do it again the next time I have sex but until then I am hopeful. Good Luck to everyone:)
my situation is slightly different. i'm in a long distance rel'p and hadnt had sex in over a yr. my bf is back and we had sex twice 2 days later my right labia is swollen, reddish purple and hurts alot. i'm waddling like a duck cuz it hurts to walk.

this happen the last time we saw each other but i think i got a small cut on my labia during penetration and it was swollen for days, it got infected then the abscess ruptured and drained out, i took some antibiotics then i was fine and having awesome sex.

this time around i see no cuts, no abscess, no lesions (thank god) jus a swollen right labia. i want it to go away soon, i cant take this much longer.
yep i consulted with my cousin who is a GP, apparently before i figured out my symptoms i gave her the wrong info so she diagnosed me with a yeast infection 2 days ago. i called her today and told her everything i've read and properly gave her my symptoms which were fever 2days ago, swollen right labia, pain when sitting and walking and she confirmed that i have a bartholin's cyst. she was also very pissed for causing her to misdiagnose me in the 1st place. she said i need a particular type of antibiotics which i cant remember right now and i need to see an OBGYN to have the cyst drained and flushed. she also said there is the possibility that it will recur. i hope not. i'm making an app't with an obgyn for tues cuz monday is a holiday.

i hope this helps the rest of u. u should read up on bartholin's cyst/abscess for urselves. may answer alot of ur questions.
Ergh i feel your pain ladies. i have this problem...not so bad as some but ever since i got UTIs (which have stopped) ive had nothing but discomfort when having sex...its mainly my urethra but afterwards my vulval area burns and looks very red and a couple of times its swollen.

I saw a gynae but the symptoms wernt present so she couldnt help me at all. but i had a doc app on thursday (new gp) and she suggested an irritated vulva syndrome, and to stop using any soap on that area (i use femfresh cause it helped my itching during the uti problems) the burning isnt as bad after sex but its still there. i wont give up till i find out the problem tho! and my urethral problem too! its frustrating me to hell and now im at the point where i dont care what they do to me to find the solution, i just want answers so i can get better!
I have the same problem, but its not always straight after sex. its not a yeast infection but my right labia minora is swollen red and hard usually after sex

i dont know what is it but i have a short term treatment when it appears..

it was so painful and itchy that i used TCP. i have to warn you that it really hurts to start with for about 3 minutes. this is  because its swollen but dilute it with water a bit on cotton wool. and gently wipe the swollen place. dont over use the cotton wool because this can spead anything . change the cotton wool about 3 times.  if it hurts to much get a cotton wool pad with water and wipe this over.

it does hurt for about 3 minutes though.

thats the only think which has worked for me.

hope this helps.
Hello Ladies.

Have a developing story to share, bear with me: my boyfriend recently had a burning, swollen **** after sex and went to the clinic. They told him they thought it was his first herpes outbreak. (!!) We had already had unprotected sex, thinking we were both clean so... I'm going to the gyno on wednesday. I found out it is very hard to test for herpes if you have no outbreak -- you basically have to get a blood test done. I am really scared because that is a lifelong virus and right now there is no way for me to know if I am infected -- I have never had an outbreak! And his test results don't come back until next week.

After *protected* sex this morning, I had the same symptoms as everyone here for the very first time. Not to scare anyone, but HSV2 hasn't been mentioned at all in this forum. Many doctors treat it differently than other stds for some reason, and its easy to mistake some of the symptoms for just a yeast infection or something else... for those who have access to it, maybe its time to get a blood test done!
so this has happened to me ALOT...
it started out about 2-3 months after i first had sex last year, then it kinda quit, and i stopped having sex, then i started dating my current boyfriend in december and we were fine until about feb/march(i feel like i started taking birth control around then... possibly something?). ever since that time, one side would swell up... then the other side kinda started up too... and on a few occasions, both of my labia minora AND the opening to my vagina swelled up. NOT FUN! i know that this current boyfriend didnt give me anything because he was a virgin, and i recently got my first pap which tested for a few things. nothing showed up. i havent talked to my doctor about this certain issue but i plan to.
UNTIL THEN, HERE ARE SOME THEORIES!!!

-VULVODYNIA... this sounds pretty close, but it says minimal swelling... and swelling doesnt seem to be that major of a symptom. but check it out. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vulvodynia/DS00159

-BARTHOLINS CYST (eh im kinda skeptical about it for myself), but hey bring it up to your doctor so they can check

-SEXY PANTIES... ladies, i know we like to look good but... our lady parts dont appreciate the leather, lacy, skin tight sexkitten stuff. ive heard that 100%cotton panties reduce the risk of bacteria and alot of infections. the cute things are good for special ocassion but for every day use go forr something simple with room to breathe

-SOAPS... after recently gettin my belly button pierced(and alot of researching on cleaning it) i dont know why in the world i ever bought the body wash with all the nasty added moisturizers, scents, dyes, chemicals, etc. those are so bad for our skin!!! LOW PH, ANTIBACTERIAL SOAPS are very good to use, just plain bar stuff like Lever or (ive been using Safeguard) gets the job done without those nasty additives

-ROUGH SEX.. we all get a little crazy in bed and i know that my boyfriend and i have back to back sex... alot. and i think the girl just a little bit irritated after a while. lube helps, but make sure its WATERBASED. once again, all the bad additives.. also, rough sex can cause little tears in your area, which can lead to swelling and pain.

try out this website, it asks you everything and could possibly get some answers
http://www.diagnose-me.com/ta-qf-p4.html

my boyfriend has been in mexico for a month and we still have one more month to go, so im hoping to clear this issue up before he comes back because it definitly puts a damper on our would be amazing sex life...
CANDIDA: causes symptoms such as...
    * abdominal gas

* headaches

* migraines

* excessive fatigue

* cravings for alcohol

* anxiety

* vaginitis

* rectal itching

* cravings for sweets

* inability to think clearly or concentrate

* hyperactivity

* mood swings

* diarrhea

* constipation

* hyperactivity

* itching

* acne

* eczema

* depression

* sinus inflammation

* pre-menstrual syndrome

* dizziness

* poor memory

* persistent cough

* earaches

* low sex drive

* muscle weakness

* irritability

* learning difficulties

* sensitivity to fragrances and/or other chemicals

* cognitive impairment

* thrush

* athlete's foot

* sore throat

* indigestion

* acid reflux

* chronic pain
Main point is vaginitis. Yeast infections (the most annoying of the symptoms)!!! reoccuring and many times cannot be picked up from pap smears.

I have many of the symptoms you all describe. The list above only really made sense after i found that I had Candida. How to cure you ask....very intensive diet and natural remedies! Go see a naturopathic doctor. They get down to the core of the problem=the digestive system. It will be pricey and VERY time consuming. I am at month 3 of no sugar, alcohol, and many other foods drinks are restricted. I am starting to feel alot better. still feeling some symptoms but they are subsiding. I have been dealing with this problem for about 1.5 years. All docs kept prescribing yeast medication, which never worked. GO SEE A NATUROPATH and STICK TO IT!
Hi guys,

I'm surprised to find that so many girls have this problem. I have been sexually active for years with several partners and this never happened till June (last month). I had sex with this guy. I was very wet and ready and it was all good. By the time i got home, i realized that my right vulva was swollen (about 2 times its natural size) and it was very painful too. I ignored it because i thought it was due to reason that he was very big down there. About a week after, i had sex with this same guy and behold, my right vulva was swollen again, but this time it was about 4 times its natural size. I freaked out! It was painful, uncomfortable and i couldnt work or sit normally. Since then i havent had sex. I'm so scared, i wish i know what is happening and how to manage it. Please help.
i had the same problem last week after having sex with my partner.  i was lucky enough to get into the dr the next day and he prescribed  hydrocortisone cream to put on and took some swabs as well.  This helped immensely and the swelling went down within the day.   we have had sex a number of times since but no repeats of the swelling yet.
Am 18yrs old and i have barely lost my virginity on the 7th of august and it had hurt lik hell but after the sex my vagina was veri swollen and i just thought it was beccause it was my first time experimentin sex but after a couple more times of sex it stil hurt while going and the swellin still occur so my partner and i thought i was allergic to the condoms so we stop using them but the swellin stil occurs after sex and i am veri soar dwn there, i also leak alot of clear liquid after sex and my partner and i are veri worried idk wat is goin on wit me and i dnt want to tel my mother because she would be veri disappointed in me and i jus dnt know wat to do AM SOOO SCARED!!!!! SOMEONE PLS HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!
this just happened to me today and i was freaking out. i noticed something was wrong while we were in the shower, and then i checked it out and my right labia minora is huge! i can't walk or sit without some mild discomfort. i found i wasn't getting "wet" during the sex and we used spit first, (sorry if this is too graphic, i just want to cover all bases) but after we used a water based lube and it was fine, but when he touched down there i had to make him stop it was such a sharp pain. i'm at college so i can't get to my regular gyno, so i'm waiting for the swelling to go down but i'm freaking out that it will happen again.  is there anyone who it's only happened to once?

help! i want my natural lube back and non swollen labia!
the same thing happend to me twice!!! I've had 3 sexual partners but i only get swollen after having sex with one...the other 2 don't cause swelling. the swelling goes away in about 24 hours but its still really uncomfortable.  the frist time we hav sex i didi not swell but the following 2 times i did. we did not use a condom at anytime.  sometimes i think it might be due to a lack of lubrication but i'm not sure...it seemed pretty lubricated...we've never used protection so im not sure if that the issue...im afraid to have sex because of the pain and discomfort...what should i do???!!!???
im pretty sure the post about Candida was correct, at least in my case. I eat nothing but sugars an carbs, i am the worst eater ever actually..i starve myself and then i eat the worst foods immaginable then starv myself again. I dont doubt that theres prob millions of bacteria in my body hah soo im going to the doctor ! I'm reallllly pissed cuz he should have figured this out, i have all the symptoms. I hope this is what i have so i can cure it finalllly. Good luck ladies if it wasnt for this forum i wouldnt feel so releaved.
A related discussion, swollen labia minora was started.
I know your pain!! I to have the same problem and went to the doctor and found out I have strep b. Its a bacteria you have all the time just some girls it over rides your down stairs. There's nothing you can really do to get rid of it but there are somethings to help it. What I find helps for me is take acidophilous daily and rub with tea tree oil were the swelling occurs.
A related discussion, Extreme swelling and discomfort of labia minora was started.