Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Vaginal itching around time of period?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Vaginal itching around time of period?

For the past 4 months, I've developed a terrible itch/redness in the vaginal area about 5 days prior to my period; it goes away 2 or 3 days after I 'start.'  

I've never had a yeast infection before, but the first month it happened I assumed that's what it was.  I treated it OTC to save a trip to the doctor.  Since then, I've just lived with it until it passed.

I have an annual exam coming up within the next month, and this problem is top of my list for discussion.  However, if anyone has any advice or personal experience with something similar, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

P.S.  I'm married and both of us are completely monogamous - it cannot be an STD of any sort.  Haven't changed laundry detergent, body soap, lotion, perfume, or anything else I can think of in quite some time.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Hi.  The same exact thing is happening to me.  The doctor really doesn't know what it is.  He said it's something with my cycle and to continue using vagisil for the itch.  I am frustrated.  It's very uncomfortable and leaves me extremely sensitive.  I actually know when it is coming on because I start to get very sensitive, then the itch starts, then my period begins a couple days later, then the itch goes away about two days after my period begins.  Even after my period ends, I am still left extremely sensitive.  Even hurts to wash and forget about intercourse, it's extremely painful.  Vagisil does help with the itch, so I use that, but I can't stand knowing what is causing this.  It's definitely happening as part of my cycle, but why all of a sudden?  I just don't get it.  I've never had this my whole life and now it's been happening practically every month for the past nine or so.  It's not an STD because I have yearly paps and I've been with my husband only for ten years.  Like the doctor said, it's obviously part of my cycle just the time that it comes on and how it goes away after I start.  So weird.  Anyways, if anyone has any advice or has talked to their doctor and gotten some better answers than me, please write.  Thanks.
Me too! I get it exactly 8 days before I. Due and then the relief of getting my period is so great because the itching and soreness stops. Think it must bacterial imbalance made acute with hormonal changes. I'm goignto start taking lots of B vitamins, evening primrose oil and of course lacrobacillus to see it it makes a difference next month. It's such a nightmare and has definitely just got worse recently ( have just turned 41). Vagisil makes it worse. Resorting to sleeping pills so i can get to sleep... Arghhhhh....Good luck all and it's comforting to know Im not alone...
I am having the very same thing. It's not a yeast infection but it's as bad if not worse than one. What's interesting is that I started getting this after my fertility returned having my third child (I nurse her and my period did not return until 18 months after having her) so I thought, it must be some hormonal thing. I've had it every month since then, except one, so I don't know what I did differently that month (if anything). It's driving me nuts. I've got a physical in April so hopefully they can determine what it is. Hope you all get some relief.
Has anyone solved this mystery? I have been experiencing the same thing since about two months post-partum (seven months ago). I am also nursing. My symptoms (abnormal discharge, swelling, and burning) tend to last all month long, but are greatly intensified in the days right before my period and the only relief I get is in the few days after my period. And I've only had two periods post-partum, so that's not a lot of relief! I saw the doc this week and am waiting on test results but am getting impatient. :-)
This recently started happenening to me. It's driving me insane. i feel better reading this knowing im not alone and its nothing to be worried about, i hope...

Anyone found a reason, a way or even a helpful hint!?
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, ITCHING AND A BURNING FEELING RIGHT BEFORE MY PERIOD, A WEEK BEFORE IT HAPPENS WITH THE OTHER SYMPTOMS, I WENT TO THE DOCTOR TRIED ALL THE CREAMS, NOTHING IS WORKING!!!!    HELP  US!
I am experiencing the same thing. Does it ever go away permanently? I am currently 13 months post partum and am still nursing. On day 17 or 18 of my cycle I get itchy and sore and it hurts to wipe. Sounds like the same as the rest of you.
Anyone find a reason or a cure yet?
this is just because of hormonal changes in our body n ph balance change of the vaginal discharge occuring before the periods..have curd n drink lots of water,avoid sweets,n yes stop taking birth control pill.it will help.i m doin the same thing and i guess its working...
I have the same issue... Does anybody got some relief? It drives me nuts this itching feeling.
A related discussion, Same Question...as above was started.
I have the same thing and I am 42.  My mate and I refrain from having relations when I am this itchy.  ( She has the same problem).  I had this itching even before I was a practicing lesbian so I know it is not that.  And we are very clean when we do have sex.
I just make sure that the vagina stays clean, and make sure air is getting there at night. Cortizone cream does help, once you gently clense the vaginal area.
I'm 26 and I've developed the same problem about two years ago. It starts coming back during the last few days of my period and I actually get up in the middle of the night due to this **insane** itch. Post-period it lingers on for at least 3 days until it soothes down with vagisil. But it leaves me so sensitive to washing and even sanitary pads. Forget sex ... i'm sore for a good week after my period.
My husband's a doctor and he tends to take it lightly; says it's just one of those things that have to be symptomatically treated with creams like Vagisil. Canestan cream helps too but the itch takes its own time to leave. The problem was much much worse when I was on the pill; I quit it and resorted to the barrier method more than a year ago. At least that has restricted the itch to the days surrounding my period and thereabouts. It's little relief but it's better than living with it round the month. My heartfelt sympathies to all those suffering from the same. xx
Thank GOD I am not alone! I am 26, have never been pregnant, and have had a hard time finding a pill that did not make the issue worse. I have now been on the same pill for over 7 years, and in the last year, it has been getting worse.  
I ususaly take my pill for longer time, getting my period every 2-3 months instead as the itching is SO unbareable!! But the last year my body seems to just start itching and menstrating regardless if I keep taking the pill....
I started using the vagisil wipes - a god send! I dont like the creams as much as I once had a VERY bad, painfull reaction to them years back....I could not walk for DAYS!  

I am glad to know I am not alone!
I am married and my hubby works all the time, so the odd time we do see eachother he wants to have intercourse, and it always seems im either itchy or on my period when he is home, its taxing at best on him, but he is very understanding, but sexually frustrated to say the least!
I am 20, and I have the same problem.. It started around the time of my second period after I had a miscarriage. I have never had a yeast infection or any other problems before this started happening. I have been having sex with only my fiance (father of the baby we lost) for about a year and a half now. Now that I see I'm not the only one that this happens to, I don't understand how this condition doesn't have a medical term for it.

I really don't think that this condition is caused by allergies. It must be something related to the cycle. I'm going to try drinking more water, pumping vitamins, using vagisil, and taking evening primrose oil. I'll keep everyone posted.
I've had the same itch for about a month now.  The first time it appeared it was really bad.  I kept waking up in the middle of the night.  Finally I made an appointment with my gyno and she ran a bunch of tests.  I did not have a std (which I already knew) but I did have a minor yeast infection coupled with an increased amount of bad bacteria.  My doctor put me on flucozale (the one day pill, not sure if that's how you spell) and a 7 day suppository.  The itch came back about 10 days before my next period.  I tried the monistat 1 day cream, but that burned so badly I have sworn off monistat products.  Recently my mom introduced me to acidolphillus GG.  I have been taking the pill form made by Culturelle (can buy at GNC) for the past week and my itching has decreased by about 85%.   I really believe that the itching has to do with the overgrowth of bad bacteria.  The acidophillus GG helps bring the ph levels back into balance so that the good flora is able to counteract the bad bacteria.  I also started drinking unsweetened cranberry juice to flush out my urinary tract.  When I do have itching I use vagisil silk anti-itching cream.  It relieves the itch without burning.  Since I started the A-GG I have been able to have sex with my fiance w/out pain or burning.  He has not come down with anything, so I know my itching is not contangious or spreadable.  One thing I would recommend to everyone is seeing your gyno at least one before using OTC or home remedies.  You should get a diagnosis from your doctor first to make sure nothing serious is going on down there.  Good luck everyone!!!
The product is actually called Lactobacillus GG.  It contains acidophillus, the same active ingredient in Activia.
I just added myself onto the list of poor sufferers like US. I have this recurring condition every month too, worse before my period comes, and subsides after period goes! I been to my GYN and she diagnosed as yeast infection, given cream and antibiotics but nothing helps. It just goes and comes back again...I tried taking live culture yoghurt with acidophilus and it helps relieve the itching...but on times when I do not take it regularly it just itches like mad! Can someone tell me does this condition require some immediate and detailed examination? Am worried its something worse than just a hormonal imbalance that causes some sensitivity! It is so worrying! I am 29 this year....and i hate to keep running to the gyn as she will just keep doing pap smears and ultrasound scans! :(
I went to my doctor yesterday for the same thing everyone has posted about. She said it wasn't a yeast infection, but a bacterial infection. She gave me a prescription for Metronidzole Vaginal 0.74%PRA - which is a cream you insert with an applicator each night before bed. I feel relief already! She gave me a running prescription because she said this often reoccurs in women due to a pH imbalance - starting or ending your period is the trigger. I also use vagisil only on the affected area, and that helps alot. She suggested taking acidophilus chewable tablets to get the pH in balance. I started taking it yesterday and hope that it will help. I hope this will offer relief to the many sufferers that are in the same boat with me.
Just wanted to report back that I have not experienced itchiness in over a month.  I hope everyone finds relief.  I know first hand how frustrating this can be.  Good luck everyone!!
I have been experiencing the same problem for a year. I would have gone to the dr I usually go for my annual but my husband lost his job and we have no health insurance. I usually start getting itchy about 4 days before my period. REAL ITCHY!!!! its at the opening. Its awful. I am going to have to go to a free clinic. I have used OTC relief but it comes back every month. I will start taking the acidophilis and hope that and the clinic help me out but I never had this problem. I have 2 kids but after the 2nd one my body is wacko!! Has anyone had any relief???
same issue here. went to the dr she ran all types of tests, took swabs, took blood, they don't know what it is. she seems to think its in my head. i'm going to go back to the dr and back again and again until i or they figure out what is wrong.
i actually have this same thing and its the fact that the lactobacillus are higher than normal and it causes some pain and itching before your period, and i was told to just use pads during it and it should cure itself, if not there is not much any doctor can do to help it. I would suggest going to your doctor and asking about this as well. i was told it was called "cv" and i did find information on it before but i can't seem to find it now. suggestions i got were douching with baking soda because this can help regulate the ph down there but before any of you try this please speak to your doctor and find out if it is the same thing. hope this help!
to all of this forum, i have found the page that explains this condition and i was told by my gyno that this was a common problem that often is diagnosed WRONG. please read and print out and bring to your doctors. you may have other things but i really think this may be the cause for most of your problems. http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/Cytolytic%20Vaginosis.pdf
the name of the condition is cytolytic vaginosis, from what i have learned it is nothing serious, more just something annoying. but please, again, talk to your doctors first as there may be things accompanying this as well. let me know if this helps!
first off your doctor is probably wrong it isn't in your head, number two stop taking all over the counter meds and take this paper  (http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/Cytolytic%20Vaginosis.pdf) to your doctor and see if this is it. i really hope this helps because it helped me. i was also told that during my period i should not use tampons and stick to pads because this also helps regulate the ph down there.
I had the same problem...vagisil made the area RAW...I was prescribed Fluconazole and the suppositories...the GYN said DO NOT use vagisil it makes it worse...my relief from the itching was soaking in the tub with a cup of white vinegar....(dont fill the tub all the way, just enough to cover your privates and sit in it for about 10 minutes)  this was how I was able to sleep all night without wanting to take a brillo pad to scratch.
try applying organic , plain yogut topically. it stopped the itch almos immediately.
Thank God I am not alone. THis just started happening a few months ago. I am 43. I thought it was a a yeast infection but there is not any discharge. I have had yeast infections in the past and this is not the same. WHen it finally gets sooooo bad that I have to call the Dr, it subsides. Kind of your hair finally looking great the day you have a hair appt.
Any other suggestions besides the plain yogurt and vinegar? I welcome all help.
Thanks girls.
PS THe only good thing about sex during these episodes is that the only pleasure I receive is my husband actually "scratching" me and temporary relieving my itch. Sad I know but it gets that bad!!!
I'm 36 and I've been having this issue for a while now after discontinuing the pill last year and getting an IUD. I tried OTC yeast infection meds- didn't help. I tried eating yogurt/kefir more regularly to no avail. I did the OTC pH testing and was in the normal range, and didn't know what else to do. This month, of course, it came back again.
After finding the name "cytolitic vaginosis" here, I did some more searching and found this article from an online nursing journal: http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijanp/vol6n1/vaginosis.xml
Print it and bring it to you doctor- it tells them EXACTLY what to look for, and how to tell the difference between several similar issues.
So, if it is cv, the burning certainly makes sense if the vagina is producing too much acid. I tried the baking soda sitz bath, and felt some immediate relief. I hope it continues; I don't have money to go to the doctor.
Good luck!
thank god im not alone.  I have been on the pill since i was 16 im now 21.  This problem has only started plaguing me the past 2-3 months. and yes im awake at 530 am because i havent been able to sleep at all tonight due to the terrible itch.  The ONLY excuse i can come up with is that i own and ride a motorcycle frequently and we had a hot spell that lasted for a couple of weeks during the month this started, and i was trapped in jeans and underwear drenched in sweat (i know you coulda lived without the visual) but i think that could be the only thing to have upset my PH.  Sex is no fun anymore, cause i am somewhat sensitve all month long and get supremely itchy only days before my period.   I hate to admit it, but i have itched myself raw.  I am a nurse and have tried every at home and OTC i can think of, I havent done lactobacillus because it irritates my stomach but that seems like the only thing i can do.  Id rather have stomach cramps than an itchy private.  It is really embarrassing cause i feel like i could just rip it off.  I contacted a GYN i work with and he belives it is CV like you have all said and he told me that treatment options are somewhat limited, because its up to our bodies to get back on track!  While home remedies may work and help give relief he said it may not "cure" the problem, and that most women with this problem resume having the issue if they stop treatment (which is basically whatever home remedy he said worked for you)  He said to not use yeast infection treatment stuff because it can make the PH further off, since this issue is cause by too much bacteria using yeast killing products will make it worse!  He also said to not waste money on the home PH test kits because what is "normal" in that test may not be normal for us.  Some women have a more of a basic vaginal PH and others of you could run fine on a more acidic PH. He said to use our home remedies that "work" for two periods and stop if it returns the next month (after you stopped home remedy) your body isnt in order yet.  He also said if you wind up on oral antibiotics for unrelated issues to see if that decreases the itch too, because it will help you better determine if its yeast or bacteria.  He said the metro cream is an option, but if we can remedy it on our own without prescription help our body will be less suceptible to re-occurring episodes.  One final thing he said... if they treat it with vaginal antibacterials it is very likely we'll end up with a yest infection after treatment cause now there is TOO MUCH YEAST and not enough bacteria.  Just sounds like there is no winning in sight.  Im suffering with you girls, and i hope my medical advice has given some solace to the problem.  Also he said this is happening a lot more frequently now than it ever used to and he thinks it has to do with changes in contraceptives (pill, patch, sponge etc etc).  He said while our prescriptions we had for years may not have changed sometimes how a company manufactures its product changes, and can affect the consumer (us).  and he said that my company has changed its forumlary (drug maker) recently and that can really explain it.  The company my brith control comes from is Watson, I hope this helps you guys even a little.  It was watson or my bike that did this to me!
sending love to my itchy sisters <3
*As a medical professional please dont use my advice as gospel, see your doctor first to be sure you do not have other problems.  If you are in the boat i am in *currently uninsured* try home remedies at your own risk, weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself. *
I am so glad that I stumbled across this page. Just the last couple of months I have noticed that right after my period I itch SO bad. Someone stated something about itching so bad wanting to use a brillo pad to scratch.

the first time I just thought it was because towards the end of my period I use a pad but when it kept coming back for 2-3 months I got concerned. There is no discharge no foul odor just intense itching and of course raw feeling.

I got a mirror out and noticed like two VERY tiny red bumps that look just like my vaginal tissue just inflamed sorta like the bumps you get on  your arm if you scratch really hard. I have never Looked this intently at my "area" so who knows these could have been here forever LOL and I am only noticing them because of the itching.

Well when I started researching because of the bumps everything pointed to an STD. My husband and I are in a monogamous relationship and have only ever been with each other so I know its not this. Also I looked at pictures and the bumps I am speaking of are NOTHING like this.

I am thankful to find that I am not alone, and know that when I go to my doc it will be all gone. Like a car you take it to the mechanic and the shudder that you were talking about goes away....just long enough for you to get home and then it starts back
I am 37 y.o. and actually started having an issue with burning and itching in the vaginal area this year in May. I noticed it didnt start until after I started taking Seasonique to regulate my cycles. This itch is horrible!!! I wake up during the nights sometimes with this itch. I had cultures done and they were positive for yeast and staph aureus. I was put on antibiotics for the staph and diflucan for the yeast. The symptoms went away for a short period of time. The following month when I started my period, the nightmare started all over again and has been recurring every month since my treatment. My doctor gave me a prescription for metronidazole, which is acutally for bacteria vaginosis. I noticed the burning and itching went away after taking this medication. I dont want to continue taking this medication without knowing the underlying problem.
This was very informative. I am 40 and I have had this problem for a while. It is much milder now, thank God. I used to itch so bad that I would scratch cuts in my surrounding vaginal tissues. I am definitly going o try the acidophilus tablets and other suggestions. I do believe it is cause by a ph imbalance. I have a heavy amount of discharge,  at times. So much that I have to I wear panty liners everyday. Thanks everyone it's always good to know you're not alone.
It's called Bacterial Vaginalis and I've been suffereing from it also.  It ***** horribly and true enough with all the prescription of fluconazole and metronidazole it goes away and comes back.  I alos use Vagisil but I'm uncomfortable knowing that I would have to use this for the rest of my life.  I'm afraid to be intimate and that bothers me.  I've been told the same that its a pH imbalance and a lack of good bacteria (Lactobacillus).  I've tried douching with hydrogen peroxide as once recommended, or inserting tampons filled with regular yogurt but still nothing has worked.  After further investigation adn being a medical student I found out that it is caused by Bacterial Vaginalis yet it doesn't have a cause but describes the ithching, burning, smelly fishy curdy discharge all the same.  I don't know why no one has found a cure or has possibly found a way to control it but i think that the best advice is to avoid taking so many prescriptions of antibiotics to prevent resistance, not to douch but I tend to use baby wipes dipped in hydrogen peroxide and to insert and remove some of the discharge (just don't lose it in there...lol) and lastly find a good/great acidophillus and take it regularly.  If anyone else has any advice please join our community so we can all find a way to fight this.
I just wanted to say a big Thank You to all the ladies here for sharing the information. I have been suffering from this wierd itch problem for the past few months and I just found my cure here. I used to eat a lot of plain yogurt and I stopped a few months ago out of laziness! So that might be one reason in my case.
After reading the comments here I started eating yogurt again. I also rinsed myself with a cup of water and 1 tea-spoon of baking soda. (I am just not a douche person.) The itch is almost completely gone after only one time of rinsing ....
so THANK YOU ALL
I'm 28 and have been suffering with the same problem for 4 months. I have a lot of history with autoimmune problems and have had cancer of the thyroid in the past. Because of these reasons they have looked into these new symptoms with greater detail.

i went to the doctor about two months ago. she noted the usual symptoms (itching, burning, soreness, pain during sex, the timing etc). On a visual inspection she noticed that the sore areas had tiny fissures and even ulceration had occurred on one side of the labia minora (its quite hard to inspect yourself in that area so i hadn't noticed!). I also described pain when passing faeces. She noticed fissures in that area too. The doctor sent me to a gynaecologist.

Due to my worry having previously had cancer i opted to see a private consultant asap. Of course, having that appointment in the middle of my cycle was no use as i had no presenting symptoms!!! He wrote me off completely and guessed  i had some sort of autoimmune vulvitis. He assured me i was fine.

But i was not fine! I was not happy with his diagnosis and so i kept my nhs appointment and went a month later. Thankfully i had my period at the time of the appointment which meant i had symptoms (see above). He was amazing! He took his time to listen and made some great observations. He said that the vulval skin was hyperestrogenic, which was unusual seeing as i had my period. He was unsure about the diagnosis but suggested a possibility of it being lichen schlerosis. Because there not a hundred percent sure and because of my history they have taken the following action. For the first month (now) i am taking Trimivate. If i have no success (which i'm not at the moment) i will have to go on an oestrogen cream for one month. If we have no luck with that i then have to have a biopsy of the vulva skin to see what the cells are doing. i will keep you posted.

The gynaecologists wife just happens to be one of the top experts in this field up in oxford and apparently she would really like to meet me. I will also keep you posted if i find out anything from her.

it was really good to find this site and nice to know i'm not alone. speak soon x

I too am soo glad I stumbled across this site, im 20 and have been on a pill called Logynon for about 3 years but have started to suffer from this problem for about a year I thought it was towels that were causing it as I figured it must be similar to nappy rash with babies ive even put nappy rash cream and in fairness it does soothe the area but only a short while. I was put on the pill because I suffered from unbearable period pains so im hoping the pill isnt the cause as it will be a lose lose situation. Im very shy about facing problems down that area but after reading this its lifted a load off my mind and im going to visit the doctor very soon and discuss this with him. You all have great advice, thankyou :)
I am so glad to stumble on this site. I have had this itching for two years and its gets terrible prior to my period. i have been prescribed Fluconazole, Flucin, Canesten, Aciclovir all to no avail, it keeps coming back.
I have decided to let my body fight it and regulate itself back to normal, however I found out that changing my undies twice a day preferably before going to bed and washing with a mild toilet soap and patting dry with soft tissue helps.
I have found that RepHresh has helped with this a lot.
ive had the same problem for over a year, but kept testing negative for BV and Yeast. I finally saw a gyno who could give me a diagnosis: cytolytic vaginosis (aka too much good bacteria, and a vag that's too acidic). I saw some other ladies here have mentioned it. It's pretty common, despite a lack of awareness in the medical community

my dr. told me to douche with baking soda, and thats helped a lot (i have a severe case). he also prescribed me cleocin, (sometime prescribed for BV, but it kills lactobaccili too so it can help with cytolytic vaginosis). in addition, in going to cut down on acidic foods, avoid probiotics, and wear pads instead of tampons. Im hoping i can eventually cure myself permanently with these treatments (he said some women have a chronic imbalance, and need to continually self-treat).
It is not called Bacterial Vaginalis as mentioned above. It is called CV (Cytolytic Vaginosis). It started some 6 months ago. I searched  for a cure because nothing OTC worked. It is caused by high levels of Lactobacillus (a friendly bacteria). So please don't over kill it. All you have to do is bring your vaginal pH to normal. There is a Vagisil Screening Kit for Vaginal Infections available at CVS or walgreens. Baking soda is one of the best home remedies. Make a watery paste and apply to vulva with a clean cloth. Sitz bath is another remedy. check out the article and follow other links.

http://www.probiotics-lovethatbug.com/cytolytic-vaginosis.html

Click here if you really wish to read more on the topic.

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Article/Cytolytic-Vaginosis-And-Lactobacillosis.aspx
Don't feel alone I have been having this problem for 2 years now since I stopped taking Ortho Tricyclene. I stay itch the whole entire month and it tends to get worse before my cycle. Sex is out of the question very painful. I have tried everything nothing seems to work. I have been tested for HIV, and I have had a colopscopy done due to abnormal pap smears still nothing. I will try the baking soda douche hopes that helps also still taking Acidophilus tablets. Very Frustrating we need a cure....
I am so glad to hear that I am alone.  I am 30 years old got married 3 months ago a virgin as that.  Few months before my wedding I had my first yeast infection was so scared went to the emergency room there I saw an obg who gave me a 3 day manistat treatment there I also had a cultured done which came back with everything negative.  Since than I  noticed during my period I get itchy since than it has gotten worse. Went to see my obg gave me the 1 time pill for yeast infection but really Im not enjoying my marriage cause it get very frustated to my and my husband who has been very supportive with this issue.  Sex is a no no. my concern right now is how this thing will affect me bcause I want to have kids.  anything new please keep it posted
oh ghosh i nvr knew so many ppl having da same prob as me....

i started getting it 5 months ago...da burning sensation, and itchiness starts 5 days before my menses, n 1 day before it starts to burn even more n that area feels hot..

than rite afta i get my menses, it slowly gows away on da 2nd day of my menses. afta that im totally normal until da next cycle come agn..i will definitely knw that im goin 2 have my period da moment i hav ethis itch... on top of that even my mouth will feel sore during da same time, it will burn n have small cuts in my mucus membrane...am i allergy 2 my own hormones??

its so confusing, im 23 yr old n nvr had sexual intercourse before...!!

any1 having any suggestion plz do rep...
It's good to know I'm not alone as well. I'm 39 and have been having same issue for about a year.  Itching is worse right before my period, almost unbearable.  My Dr. has done all kinds of tests several times, all show no yeast or bacterial infections.  One Dr. recommended I try an OTC product called Rephresh. It's supposed to help restore vaginal pH.  It does help sometimes but not consistently and it's expensive. I was hoping for a permanent cure for this condition.

But thanks to what's been shared by all those posting I have some new ideas to try and I can show my doctor the info on CV. I've been to 3 different doctors and am surprised that none of them would be aware of this.

Benadryl does help for sleeping also. It seems  to calm the itching some too, although I know it's not an allergic reaction.

thanks to all who have shared their stories here.
*** PRINT OUT THIS ARTICLE AND BRING IT IN TO YOUR DOCTOR ! ***

One of the women on this list posted it and I am bringing it to my Nurse Practitioner first thing Monday morning! It describes a condition called CYTOLYTIC VAGINOSIS that totally matches my symptoms.

I have been having vaginal problems since March 2010. First I actually had bacterial vaginosis, then a yeast infection, and then a bladder infection in October (and the antibiotic treatment for that caused another yeast infection).

Then the past 4 months I have severe itching and burning the 7- 10 days before my period. I've been treated for yeast infections because although the doctor/nurse practitioner couldn't find yeast in my test results (a smear looked under a microscope), my symptoms sound like yeast.

EXCEPT for the monthly CYCLIC nature of my irritation. The burning & itching kicks in the week before my period, and subsides during my period. This is exactly what is described in the diagnosis of Cytolytic Vaginosis - so if this is what you are experiencing, itchy sisters, let's educate our doctors and get ourselves treated right!

I am so psyched to have found this website and to all you awesome ladies out here sharing about a very private issue - THANK YOU. Because of you I found this article, and few other ones posted here, and I am feeling so much better about my chances of getting this issue resolved at the appointment I already had set up for Monday.

The reason I suggest printing out this article and bringing it to your health practitioner is because:
(1) It tells them exactly what to look for under the microscope
(2) It details a course of treatment - baking soda baths or douches first, and if that doesn't work there are some antibiotics that were recommended.

If they are worth their pay, they should be interested in learning about this condition!

Whew! I am going to sleep much better tonight after hearing about this! Thanks sisters! I hope we can all be happy sisters soon instead of itchy sisters :) !!

Best wishes,
Jen

PS
A few other articles listed here were useful to me. They are:

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijanp/vol6n1/vaginosis.xml
OMG, I'm so thankful for everyone's posts & stories! I've been experiencing this unbearable itch for about a week and then when I woke up this morning, there was bleeding. I had been using Vagisil all week but last night I opted not to because I wanted to see if my urine was cloudy looking because of the Vagisil or if something else was going on. I'm thinking the blood is coming from my period (I'm VERY irregular & am not taking any pills to regulate this), so I'm going to wait a couple days and see if the itch continues. I'm also going to set up a doctors appointment after my period, which I'm hoping is causing the bleeding. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.
I have had this terrible itching during and after my period for two years plus. Someone suggested Evening Primrose Oil, I used it and it worked wonders. The itching was completely gone for two months but I felt it three months later. Started using it again and the itching stopped.
I have posted earlier. I am glad the articles are useful to other girls. Here are some other things I am trying. I bought vagisil screening test for testing my vaginal pH which is 5. It should be under 4.5. So I know for sure something is wrong. I bought this Vagisil INSTANT long lasting Relief for intense itch associated with imbalance in pH. It doesn't burn so thats a good part but it is not a cure just relief. I also bought RepHresh VAGINAL GEL 4 prefilled applicators (12 day supply). You use after every 3 days. It is used to maintain a healthy vaginal pH. I used one last night. I feel good. One can use for a long term without any harm. $12.95 from Walmart and $18.95 from CVS or Walgreens. I guess everyone will find a cure by bring the vaginal pH between 3.8 - 4.5. Has anyone got a prescription for Augmentin? If so let me know if the cure happened.
can you guys help me with my question i got my period three days ago like i do but i itch inside my vagina not outside it itchs and at the same time i feel sharp pains it only happens when i get my period.  please do not make fun of me and no mean questions because i have been trying to find anwsers and the people were so mean some were making fun of me and others were jealous because i have my period some made me cry so please help me
Me too... I have been having the same problem for the past few years. it stars 3 or 4 days before my period and ends right when I get my period...very odd and definitely annoying. I am firm believer in natural and alternative treatment and I found this natural product works without any chemicals or side effects. I truly recommend this product :)  
http://www.wellinhand.com/yeastrescue/index.html
i have the same problem. days before my cycle my vagina will itch. it is embarrissing to talk about and i can find myself walking down the hall of my house scratching like crazy. it will be the outside of my vagina as well as the inside and it only starts days before my cycle. i can always tell when my cycle is getting ready to come on because of this.
This is the best day because I have found the answer to my problem.  I thought I was going crazy because nothing seemed to fit my symptoms.  But I KNOW cv is what is going on.  I read the article at http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Article/Cytolytic-Vaginosis-And-Lactobacillosis.aspx and, although very technical, it was very informative.  I am going to begin my treatment with a few sitz baths and go from there.  I sure hope the doctors are reading these types of research so they can begin diagnosing correctly instead of making some of us feel like hypochondriacs.
Thank you to all the women who posted here.  You have absolutely made my day (and subsequent years of comfort to come)!!
ladies it is such a relive to have finally found some answers to my problem.. im 39 and have lived with this problem since the age of 33. Since then ive had 3 kids and it seems thats the only time when this problem goes away. im so irritated by this problem becouse now i have a new symptom its vaginal dryness, i have no lubricant in my vagina and this causes a real problem  with me and my man becouse now he thinks i have no libido.. which i do.. extremly but i just dont know what to do any more. I remember going to a doctor and telling me its becouse of high sugar in my urine all this time im thinking its becouse im getting diabetis but its now been 6 years and i still dont have diabetis, i cant wait to try this douch of baking soda.. today i started my period so now i need to wait but im really thankful that i found this website.. i think we are all too embarrased by this problem and thats the reason its been such a taboo
Hi, Im 22 years old and Ive just started having this problem, so I thought I would look it up tonight... This is the first ever time ive had this down below... I checked myself out earlier on (as we do) Im very red on one side :/ but the other side I have a white lump, just like a spot on your face but its really hard,white and hard... since I had my daughter Ive been getting problems down below and I though I might as well add this to the list the lenght of my arm... but know I know Its just my monthly starting... I cant believe how sore and itchy it is... Thank you for all your help x charlene x
Something that is bringing a cool relief for me is only found behind the counter in the pharmacy so you have to ask for it specifically (I would call ahead to make sure they have it, I get mine at CVS) it is actually what my kids doc recommeded for severe diaper rash, which when my daughter got rashes inside I used it so i decided to try it for this because THIS SUX.. Its called Calmoseptine and has menthol in it which is what cools it off for you.. I have put it on a few times today and it feels sooo much better down there for now.
LMAO Ahhhhh, the joys of womenhood. At least were not alone. Im not on birthcontrol now but I did notice it soon after I started taking it a year or two ago and continue to have it. Hmmm, I've noticed some gals seem to be having it after childbirth. Childbirth- birthcontrol; interesting coralation. Must be a hormone thing. Why? Who knows. Doctors still don't have us completely figured out down there. They're still not even sure about our orgasms. Until then they'll just keep prescribing us drugs. Remember they are doctors of medicine nothing more. So unless you want more drugs search elsewhere for answers ...
in might be herpes simplex 2
I'm 22 and I've had this problem on and off for the past few years–except my itch is just a bit inside the walls of the vagina. I actually feel little bumps (sore to the touch) on the area where it itches when I do itch before my period. I had never had sex in my life–I don't believe in sex before marriage–so I know it can't be any type of STD (whew!). But I was afraid if it was a variation of some kind of yeast infection or something because when I described it to my boyfriend that's what he suggested. I'm SO glad that I'm not the only one with this kind of problem, and it is in fact normal and has nothing to do with how I take care of myself. I'm afraid to go the gyno (I've never been to one) because I'm uncomfortable with the idea of showing myself to a complete stranger. It sounds ridiculous and childish I know but it's probably also because I never showed myself to anyone I know either lol.
Hi, I had the same experiences of itching, uncomfortableness (similiar to a yeast infection) for over a year (after taking birth control for a year which I do terribly on, so I stopped) until recently.  After researching, it is an unbalance acidic in your vagina entrance (outer area but not outside completely).  I read that taking/using a sitz bath (you can buy them online, I could not find at my local pharmacy store) works.  I did mine with baking soda in the bath tub (it is a small amount but if you research sitz bath online, they will tell you measurements). It helped, and it was gone. It is coming back a little before my period this month, so it looks like I need to do it again.  I could not find out what the cause is from this enbalance, it could be diet. But I am looking more into it.  Hope this helps.
Hi, I had the same experiences of itching, uncomfortableness (similiar to a yeast infection) for over a year (after taking birth control for a year which I do terribly on, so I stopped) until recently.  After researching, it is an unbalance acidic in your vagina entrance an outer area.  I read tht taking/using sitz bath works.  I did mine with baking soda in the bath tub. It helped, and it was gone. It is coming back a little before my period this month, so it looks I need to do it again.  I could not find out what cause is from this, it could be diet. But I am looking more into it.  Hope this helps.
I am so glad I found this website, I have recently began to have this problem but more so after my period for about 5mos and it has been very irritating to say the least, I think i will try the baking soda, it only last for 2 days after my period and completly goes away after, glad to know I am not the only one/ thanks for the post
I'm so glad I'm not alone! Mine started about 3 months ago, it's driving me mad! Doc's it is then....
This has been a complete GOD send!!! I have been having this exact thing happening to me for about 6 months and I too have no insurance right now. And was sitting here at 1am, up because there is so much iching and burning I can barely handle it. Am so amazed at how many of us have this! One should be able to go into their OB and get a diagnosis straight away considering all our symptoms are virtually identical! I am going to rush to the tub and sit in a baking soda bath and pray it works. I just really can't handle having this disrupting my life like this. I am a working mother of 6 and cannot handle this anymore...EVERY month! Thank you so much for all you ladies have shared. GOD BLESS!!
I had my last baby 6 years ago and have been suffering with this every month since, I am thinking of trying the ph balancers available from chemists as I think it us related to hormone changes messing with ph balance in this area, anything is worth a try it drives me nuts and am sick and tired if the soreness and itching.
WOW!!!!   It's not just me!!  And it's NOT a YI!  Because the meds for YI work when it is and they are not working for this.  I get this horrible itch right before every period and have since I stopped taking birth control pills. (about 4 months now)  It itches so bad but if I give in and scratch it only makes the area tender and sore which sets me back even further in recovery.  It goes away during my period but it always shows up right before the period.  I was using the external cream for itching that came with the YI meds and it just isn't helping.  I found this site and I am so happy!  I am glad there are ladies who are willing to help each other like this online because I don't have health insurance and I am sure I can fix this one myself now.  Ditching this cream that don't work and not worrying about this anymore.  Going to start sitz bathing or adding the vinegar rinse to my bath once in awhile.  I did notice that when it gets at it's worse that a sock in the tub helped for awhile, but with the added ingredients I am sure it will help more.  Than you all so much!!!!!  :)
Julie
I've had the same problem for the past year and I'm 33, my baby is 11 years old, I don't take ANY birthcontrol, I've only had 1 sex partner in my life, and my gyno doesn't seem to know how to treat this problem correctly :-( but I have found relief with "feminine wash" and "vagisil".. I also think it must have to do with "bad bactaria" and "hormones".. Anyway, my sympathy to ALL! Cause this ITCH is a *****!!!  
wow! i'm glad to run into this place! I also have had the same thing. It started 3yrs ago out of the blue I began to get itching and burning just 2-3 days before my period, it lasted throughout my 5-7 day period then disappeared until next monthly cycle. At first I thought maybe I was allergic to new brands of toilet paper or tampons, or even new pad liners. I thought maybe soap, or body wash, detergent. But no it wasnt none of that. However I did notice a change in my body, which was a lot of bodily watery fluid prior to my period, so I  figured it was ph inbalance possibly with my age- i'm getting "up there" in age. Though i can still pass for 26-30, (wink).
iam 26 going through this about a day or so before my period starts and during! idk what to do about it. it drives me insane and is severely uncomfortable. is there a cure
HI all, i stumbled upon this forum last month and may be able to help some of you with the same problem that i have.  I am 48 and always had a very good straightf forward cycle,never had thrush until this year when first my periods became irregular and the last 5 months i also developed sudden itching about 5/6 days before i am due.  I manage this by taking Black Cohosh and Soya vitamins which help balance fluctuating hormones, in my case i beleive i am going through the change.  Along with this i have stopped washing down below with normal soap and body wash, in stead i use a feminine wash which helps balance the ph levels. I brought this from Boots chemist for £4 which can last more than six months as i just put a little dab of the liquid on to a flat cotton ball and use this to wash the genitial area whilst in the shower. As a precuation II also keep Canestan cream with me whcih i usually use just once a month when the itch first develops.  Now whilst i am not completely cure, i have found doing the above I am able to comfortably manage the itching so it is at least bearable.  I am not convinced it will ever go away completely, but at least if all the sufferers can manage to keep the symtons under control or lessen them it will make everyday living alot easier.  So to sum up keep canestan cream and apply on the first sign of an itch, take Black Cohosh and Soya supplements every day, wash area below with a feminine PH balance wash and finally drink loads of water to help flush toxins from the system.
If anyone tries this, please let me know how you get on..Good Luck!
hi, i forgot to say, my itching now lasts just half a day at the most with the above precautions taken.  I do also develop a mild migraine at the same time as the itch develops, both subside within 3/4 hours to half a day, i beleive this is due to fluctuating hormone levels.  The itching is now  a lot less in serverity than what it used to be like before, I would say more of a mild itch.  The other thing women can use on a tight budget is to apply natural live yogurt to the genitial area if they have itching or Thrush, as this helps. It is messy though so apply at nighttime!!   many thanks.  
I am a girl still 10 years old. I have not had my 1stperiod yet but I jar a feelin it is coif VERY soon an I am shitin myself wot do I do? And yes I have an itchy verdinia and all the signs that my period is coming soon : )
I have the SAME problem, glad I'm not the only one. The pH Balace seems about right, plus I have a thyroid problem which makes it sense, because my hormones can be all over the place. The vagisil anti itch wipes are AMAZING!
I have been struggling with this for about 3yrs now. I took every tests under the sun and all were negative for STDs. No yeast and was told it was bacteria. Of course meds for that did not work. Then I started taking evening primrose pills. Wow, it's stopped instantly and has not been back for a week now. Here is my history; it all started when I stopped the pill and got the IUD. I had it removed within 6 months because I hd gained weight, hd horrible headache, my eyes were affected and then the itch started. I have not noticed it only around my period it seemed to be whenever, I went to my gym and saw all of the drs in that practice and they all said the same thing. Then my gyn did a biopsy and came back with kitchen simplex and sent me to the specialist who gave me a steroid cream. This helped sooth the itch when I put it on but it always came back. I tried stopping the cream because using too much steroid messes with the body and you build up an immunity which make you needing a stronger dosage. My mother had been telling about evening primrose for years and I just never took it, however, I took it on Monday because the itch was unbearable and I near damn scratch myself raw, I took EP 1300 mg that night and I woke up without any symptoms what did notice by day 3 is that I had an internal irritation from the tampon I hd not had this happen I stopped using the tampon and used pads and I am fine. This is a Hugh break thru for me because like said my itching was continuos, even during my period. I am going to continue with the evening primrose because there are so many other benefits but ladies I think if you coupled this withe the baking soda bath magic could happen. I have not had this kind of relieve in years and for a week of taking this pill I am impressed. Do the research it tells of how the EP helps was the ph of your vagina, eczema, and even pimples. I'll keep reading to see if this helps anyone.  
It is such a relief coming across this. I have been having the same itching problem for a year now. At first I thought it was just dryness but then noticed that it itched constantly unless on my period. Its a sad day when you start looking forward to getting your period every month. I itched so bad I broke skin and would bleed from it. I also have a chronic knee pain so between the two sleeping is non-existent. I was afraid I was the only one with a problem and was scared to go to the doctor. I am so glad to hear these suggestions and can not wait to try a few. Thanks to everyone!!!
Well I don't take any modern med so when this started naturally I didn't turn to any antibiotics. What stopped mine was 2 golden seal capsules taken with a cup of ginger tea at night. By the second day it had gone! Also, you can use neem oil as a lubricant during sex, and rinse afterward, that gets rid of the itchy bumps a lot faster actually. Hope this helps! :)
Wel,i hv been experiencing the same problems as well itching before the period.I was advised by a chemist to go all natural, with everything, like body washes, and food.Man thats a pain...aaarrrggghhh
I have the same thing. It's aweful! Mine happens during my period and a few days after. Either way it sounds like we all have the same problem. Hmmm. I went to the doctor and she said that it's a yeast problem during my period, then the other doctor said Ph Balance. I drink plenty of water I take vitimans eat green foods, and still it continues :( hopfully someone knows a cure to our problem, if so please share.
Well girls, there is HOPE! The month after I had our second child, my period returned and so did what I thought was a yeast infection...I treated that month, the next month, then the next.  This went on for nine months!  It's extremely itchy, uncomfortable, and mind boggling since I had never experienced anything like this.  I bounced back and forth between my OB/GYN and family Dr. with no luck, we tested for STD's, my OB would say he couldn't see anything wrong with any of the cultures they took, he finally told me it was in my head???? No it was in my itchy, unbearable crotch, and after 9 months I was desperate!!!  It was apparent at this point that it was cyclical, always happening a week before my period, sometimes going away after my period but sometimes not.  Then I had my Eureka moment.  My Chiro had told me once when I was into see him (when I was still pregnant) that my PH was out of whack, he told me to drink a hot solution of a warm cup of water and a teaspoon of baking soda every morning until it was stable.  Sadly I admit that since I didn't feel bad or know why he was telling me this I didn't do it!  I wish I had...but at least I had something to go on.  I looked into PH balancing and found I was too acidic, the worst culprit for me is COFFEE!  Especially taken on an empty stomach in the morning which I was doing all the time, to try to stay awake to take care of 2 kids. (a note: if you become real acidic you will be extremely tired and foggy headed) I highly recommend getting PH testing strips and testing your urine first thing in the morning (this is a very accurate reading of where your body is, since you haven't consumed food or drink in 8 hours)  I started researching like a mad woman and found food lists of which foods are alkaline and what foods are acidic.  This is extremely important, since most of my favorite foods are acidic.  I started eating A LOT of salads, and even though it broke my heart, I stopped drinking my beloved coffee!  I bought alkaline drops and started using them in my water and any beverages I consumed.  I drink about 90 ounces of water a day, so I think it's a great way to get the alkaline into my system.  I'm not a soda drinker, so if you are, I would try to switch to water.  If you do have to cheat and have a soda every now and then or coffee, just put in the alkaline drops to help balance the acidity. The label will tell you how much to use. (These are sold in health food stores and some grocery stores) My infection cleared up in 1 month!  I resumed using the alkaline drops for about 3 more months.  The problem stayed away until about 6 months later I started sliding back into my old habits and started drinking coffee every morning...then I stopped, started using the alkaline drops and magically it went away again!  I now know how to curb my diet and coffee consumption to keep the problem and bay, when I'm lazy about this and I can feel a problem lurking I can easily control it,  I have actually experimented a time or two to see If I really can control it, and I totally can.  A few other things I do that help If I feel the "twinge" are the hot totties of warm water and baking soda, I will bathe in a bath of warm water and baking soda- or just douche with it,  I do NOT recommend the vinegar since it's acidic, I tried it once and it made it worse!  I increase my acidophillis intake and take quality vitamins and supplements.  I also agree with the advice one reader gave about watching what soaps and lotions you use, I've noticed that soap can exacerbate the problem.  Cotton panties should always be worn.  And certainly give your vagina some time to "breathe,"  although this is hard to do when your on your cycle. One more great trick is to drink lemon water with your meals, lemon is an acid, until it reaches your digestive system, it turns into an alkaline.  If you drink lemonade that's great too, just watch the sugar, since it's a big culprit to acidity.  Also I'd like to say that it's great to get your PH in check so you aren't experiencing this painful monthly itch, but there are MANY  OTHER healthy advantages too, a too acidic body is more likely to be prone to inflammatory diseases and Cancer, since cancer cells LOVE acidity, so please research all you can!  Best of Luck!!!
Well girls, there is HOPE! The month after I had our second child, my period returned and so did what I thought was a yeast infection...I treated that month, the next month, then the next.  This went on for nine months!  It's extremely itchy, uncomfortable, and mind boggling since I had never experienced anything like this.  I bounced back and forth between my OB/GYN and family Dr. with no luck, we tested for STD's, my OB would say he couldn't see anything wrong with any of the cultures they took, he finally told me it was in my head???? No it was in my itchy, unbearable crotch and after 9 months I was desperate!!!  It was apparent at this point that it was cyclical, always happening a week before my period, sometimes going away after my period but sometimes not.  Then I had my Eureka moment.  My Chiro had told me one time when I was into see him (when I was still pregnant) that my PH was out of whack, he told me to drink a hot solution of a warm cup of water and a teaspoon of baking soda every morning.  Until it was stable, sadly I admit that since I didn't feel bad or know why he was telling me this I didn't do it!  I wish I had...but at least I had something to go on.  I looked into PH balancing and found I was too acidic, the worst culprit for me is COFFEE!  Especially taken on an empty stomach in the morning which I was doing all the time, to try to stay awake to take care of 2 kids. (a note: if you become real acidic you will be extremely tired and foggy headed) I highly recommend getting PH testing strips and testing your urine first thing in the morning (this is a very accurate reading of where your body is, since you haven't consumed food or drink in 8 hours)  I started researching like a mad woman and  found food lists of which foods are alkaline and what foods are acidic.  This is extremely important, since most of my favorite foods are acidic.  I started eating A LOT of salads, and even though it broke my heart, I stopped drinking my beloved coffee!  I bought alkaline drops and started using them in my water and any beverages I consumed.  I drink about 90 ounces of water a day, so I think it's a great way to get the alkaline into my system.  I'm not a soda drinker, so if you are, I would try to switch to water.  If you do have to cheat and have a soda every now and then or coffee, just put in the alkaline drops to help balance the acidity. The label will tell you how much to use. (These are sold in health food stores and some grocery stores) My infection cleared up in 1 month!  I resumed using the alkaline drops for about 3 more months.  The problem stayed away until about 6 months later I started sliding back into my old habits and started drinking coffee every morning...then I stopped, started using the alkaline drops and magically it went away again!  I now know how to curb my diet and coffee consumption to keep the problem and bay, when I'm lazy about this and I can feel a problem lurking I can easily control it,  I have actually experimented a time or two to see If I really can control it, and I totally can.  A few other things I do that help If I feel the "twinge" are the hot totties of warm water and baking soda, I will bathe in a bath of warm water and baking soda- or just douche with it,  I do NOT recommend the vinegar since it's acidic, I tried it once and it made it worse!  I increase my acidophillis intake and take quality vitamins and supplements.  I also agree with the advice one reader gave about watching what soaps and lotions you use, I've noticed that soap can exacerbate the problem.  Cotton panties should always be worn.  And certainly give your vagina some time to "breathe."  although this is hard to do when your on your cycle. One more great trick is to drink lemon water with your meals, lemon is an acid, until it reaches your digestive system, it turns into an alkaline.  If you drink lemonade that's great too, just watch the sugar, since it's a big culprit to acidity.  Also I'd like to say that it's great to get your PH in check so you aren't experiencing this painful monthly itch, but there are MANY  OTHER healthy advantages too, a too acidic body is more likely to be prone to inflammatory diseases and Cancer, since cancer cells LOVE acidity, so please research all you can!  Best of Luck!!!
Oh yeah.. Good for us figuring this all out!!!
thank you to you all who have posted!!!
I have a couple comments to summarize ~

I, like many of you, was inspired to search for answers because of the annoying vaginal itching which happens every month the week before my period begins, and eases away as my period comes and goes.  It does keep me up at night and annoys me through the day, and I just noticed by looking at the calendar this starts up bad again every month at the same time for me, exactly a week before my period begins.

It seems for most people who have posted this is a case of CYTOLITIC VAGINOSIS as mentioned by alot of you.  I agree!  Overgrowth of bacteria.  It then makes sense why and anti-fungal creams wont help... they dont help if the fungus isn't your problem.  

I AGREE with the post above me that this is foremost an issue of tissue ACIDITY/ALKALINITY (an acidic environment being a suitable place for bacteria to grow)... and that we have most control over our condition by eating foods that alkalize our tissues, provide them with oxygen and discourage pests (fungi, viruses and bacteria).  It is one of the best things we can do for our bodies, and will solve a whole lot of problems! I also test urine pH in the morning... its so easy to do (and note; you want to be in THE GREEN ZONE on the pH paper..pH 6.4-7.0. yellow is too acidic, and dont be fooled, blue (alkaline, ph around 8.0...) doesn't always mean good, in fact unless you are eating greens like a goat it often means that your body was so acidic that it started to break down your bones to buffer your blood, not good)~ and Google search it or start here: http://www.pureliquidgold.com/acid-alkaline-forming-foods.htm.  Remember to focus not on whether the food itself is acidic but on the affect the food has in the body (i.e. a lemon itself is very acidic but is very alkaline-forming)   Also, to make sense of the fact that for some the itching is relieved by period and others it is not, we should consider how you capture blood during your period- if menstrual fluids are basic(alkaline) and during your period you use pads, then blood is allowed to flow through and coat vagina, which is likely to bring relief.  Using tampons is likely to keep the vaginal lining dry and keep giving mini scratches on the already irritated vaginal lining.  
Ok, off I go to juice some veggies like beets, cucumber, and greens- im not going to use carrots (too much sugar)
Ladies, we've so got this understood.
Doctors seriously **** me off how much they lead us down the wrong paths or tell us we are crazy or tell us its just part of life.  Itchiness and bitchiness don't have to be your life!!! Get five bucks, buy a roll of ph paper ( I recomment pH hydrion vivid 5.5-8.0) and start eating green leafy veggies/cucumbers, not too many fruits are alkalizing, but watermelon is!!, get some wheatgrass shots, and quit sugar for a few days- if you feel better you might have the energy and passion to keep it up!!!. it sERIouslY works- and best of all, lucky you if you learn this now you can't even get cancer because cancer cells wont want to live anywhere in you because cancer cant grow in an alkaline (basic) environment!! Yay!! aren't you glad you're a woman and your itchy vagina taught you so much!
I am!
love you all!
stay well!
I have been experiencing this same thing for the last few years. It gradually is increasing in the number of months that it is occurring.  It happens at least every other month now.
For me, creams make it itch and burn more, making it more difficult to sleep at night. I haven't been on birth control for several years and wonder if it might help to get back on them.
I have talked to different doctors about my hormones. When they test them they say my levels are normal. The thing about that is, they never test the levels while this is occurring. I wonder if they compared the different levels at the different times if it might show something.
I have also wondered if the hormones, possibly causing this problem, could have anything to do with the two miscarriages that I have experienced, at least the last one that was 2 years ago. Since, then I haven't even been able to conceive. The doctors say there is nothing wrong with me, other than having older eggs, and won't do anything else to help unless I am willing to spend $15,000 for someone else's eggs
As many of you have said - I'm thankful to have found this site.  

As many/ several of you indicated, my symptoms also arose after childbirth and after having an IUD inserted.  

Regarding the IUD - I did some research and realized that there are many complaints about the IUDs causing irregular/ unnormal vaginal symptoms (several articles stating that Ecoli can be on the string and remain there b/c of the material).

My itchiness/ redness/ soreness a week or two prior to my period has been going on for abotu 4 years... Since I had my child/ had the IUD inserted.

However, recently I felt the itchiness coming on, as usual, about 10 days before my period.   Of course, as most of you understand, it's unbearable and you have to scratch it or there is no reflief (though the rawness from scratching isn't much of a relief).   The next day I noticed a bump/ sore where I was itching (on my perenial - the area between the vagina and the anus) that stayed there for about a week (until right before I started my period).   The itching and redness stayed until 1-2 days after I started my period.

Has anyone else had this happen?  

I plan to have STD testing done to be sure, but have only had 2 sexual partners this year, one of which I'm positive has no STDs and the other who claims he's been tested recently and has no STDs.  

Just curious whether anyone else has developed sores, and if so... Have they been tested by their doctor and confirmed the sores can result from CV?

Wish you all the best in curing (or at least controlling) this awful, annoying issue!

Oooohhhggggeeee this happens too me a week before I start my period .....so glad I'm not the only one this is happening to .....its weird and extremely irritating.....I try the a'zo pills they kinda help .....I also us and ice pack to help with the itching ....its been working pretty okay for me .....
I'm happy I'm not alone. First I was having an issue with itchiness the day after using a lubricated condom. It would last for 2 days. Sometimes 3 if it was really bad. Using non-lubricated condoms really helped. But twice now, I've experienced itching before my period. I just went to the GYN last week and I do not have an STI or yeast infection. I will definitely be trying some of the methods listed above. Thank you.
OMG so glad I found this. I have been putting GOLDBOND cream on it. I know that sounds harsh but the menthol in it burns and then cools. Again I know it sounds harsh but the burning and cooling is a much needed relief. And wow the brillo pad thing I can totally relate to.

I went to Dr and they said that since I have tested positive for Group B strep during my pregnancies I am more susceptible to this before my period. Got a scrip for amox and diflucan. Even though it isnt yeast it helps she says.

I will report back. Wish me luck! Until then I will be sitting on the edge of my chair trying not to scratch.
I have been having the same problem. But I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was happening during the 3 days BEFORE i get my period, I just thought it was from sex, until i put 2 and 2 together and realized, yes it is before my period. So I put Clotrimazole 3 : 3 day treatment on it, and it got rid of the itch / pain instantly, after the first use. So i have to say, I am relieved to see I am not the only one. My doctor told me he wasn't sure what it was either and that I should just put cream on it. And I get monthly blood work and paps on a yearly basis. So I hope they find a cure for it soon. But until then, at least we are all experiencing the same thing, and non of our doctor's said anything different.
The diflucan helped! Sitz baths also helped.
I'm 17 years old. I recently lost my virginity in July and I didn't use protection. My boyfriend is getting tested on Monday because he has had partners before me. After loosing my virginity a couple weeks later I as itching a lot down there. I thought it was irritation from sex. I have sensitive skin, I went to the doctor and I used vagisil, the same day I started using vagisil I started my period. I get my period for 5 days and on the 7th day of vagisil the itching stopped.

Now I know I'm going to start my period soon, I can feel it. I have itching on my Labia Majora (my "lips") and it is red when I itch and when I'm not flaming it is pale. I did research on herpes and lichen sclerous, it doesn't look like herpes, but it looks like lichen sclerous. I'm not sure. My sister older has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Where she has cyst on her ovaries and it causes many complications to her period. My mom has a hysterectomy and I was just laying in my bed and it popped up that I'm getting my period soon and I'm always late.

I'm scared and I'm embarrassed. I cant sleep at night and I feel that if I go to my family doctor they won't do much because most family doctors don't ( no offense to any family doctors, but it is true)

When I pee and whip myself I get insane itching and I start to cry. Its hard to stay focus in school. I'm hopefully going to the doctors on Monday.
I'm afraid of what might this be, maybe something that it not what I expected. Herpes is warts right? I need answers and I will be sure to update when I get back from the doctors.
hey you guys. Take 1/4 teaspoon of baking SODA every morning and night 1 week before your period to kill the acid in your body. Drink plenty of water as well in btwn. huggzz
Me too I am so happy I found this about two days before my period and when my period is very very light I am in AGONY literally scratching myself raw, wth??  Only happened since I had my first daughter about 5 years ago when I was 35 since then I stopped washing my panties in soap, just really hot water double cycle but still it happens right before my period, what is up with all the doctors that don't have answers for us, obvi this is a problem! I literally thought I was allergic to menstruation!
Me too I am so happy I found this site  about two days before my period and when my period is very very light I am in AGONY literally scratching myself raw, wth??  Only happened since I had my first daughter about 5 years ago when I was 35 since then I stopped washing my panties in soap, just really hot water double cycle but still it happens right before my period, what is up with all the doctors that don't have answers for us, obvi this is a problem! I am going to immediately change my diet and get some baking soda stat! Thank you ladies!!!  
This has been happening to me for a few months now.  I wonder if it's age-related.  It only started happening to me after the birth of my second child. I'm thirty now and off the pill but I am sure it's not an STD since I have this same symptom every month for the past 4 or 5 months and it came completely randomly.  I am glad I looked it up.  I, like a lot of you, can tell when my period is about to begin because of the itching.  And it's a terrible itch.  Feels like a yeast infection and like I read above, I am relieved to get my period just so that the itch will stop.  Thanks so much ladies for being brave enough to post.  
Hi ladies, i'm so glad i found this page, i'm 37 years old and been self treating these symptoms for about 3 years, thinking i was just one of those unlucky ladies with on going thrush.
The itching starts about 5 days before my period and calms by about 3 days after. I recognised the itching was assosiated with my cycle, just not sure why.
I don't take any meds and im not on the pill, canesten gives me minimal relief.
I'm so grateful for all these comments as it's made me realise i'm not alone.
I will be visiting my Gp to discuss CV, thankyou for posting for shy ladies like me to read.
Hello
Have same sore syptoms (symptoms) before a period.  I am 49, 2 grown kids.  I bought myself a zinc cream from the chemist that is normally used for babies to protect the skin against wet nappies. It also has thyme and verbenae in it.  Tend to put it on at night because otherwise I smell a bit funny in the office!! It is like a barrier protection cream against the acidic urine...
Hi Ladies, you have probably got Trich and it is resistant to metronidazole ..... The worst part is ..... the gold standard trich test is less than 25% effective .... Some Australian researchers proved that last year (2010) .....
Guys you all need to to build you all Ph balance.  Go to the health food store and get Ph protector drops read the direction and it should help with you all problem also a woman need the following vitamins: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E,  Vitamin B complex,  Coral calcium, Omega 3,  Vitamin D3
I am only 16 and have been experiencing this for the past 3 or 4 months. After reading this, it's kind of relieved me bc I am sexually active and I don't want to inform my mom bc I know she'll assume it's a STD. I don't know what to do. I've read other things while researching this and it's said itching only makes it worse so I stopped itching and they were correct.. It went away slowly in 2 days. It starts about a week before my period and ends about 5 days after.. It's terrible and no one knows. I told my mom about it and told her that it was probably the tampons I used that month (I used platex sport and I used tampax peral - cardboard) well the next month I went back to using my regular kind and it's still there. I'm thinking this month that it could be healing from being raw from going too long and dry. I'm not sure. Help?
I am 19 and I have been going through this for almost a year now, and I feel everyone's pain. I recently got tested and I was relieved to hear that I did not have an STD. I am even more relieved to know that I am not alone. I find it amazing that this seems to be common in women, however there is nothing specific to help us.I went to a doctor and she prescribed Canesten and it worked very well but right after my period the next month, the itching came back just as intense as the month before. I really don't want to have to use this cream every month for fear that overuse may be harmful to my body. My mother told me that maybe I should cut down on my wheat intake, as well as cheese, snacks and spicy food. I am going to experiment with my diet and see how it goes. Hopefully I will put my finger on the problem and help you all out.
Hello, I have been experiencing the exact same thing, since I had my daughter in 9/2010. I have been tested for all STDS, they thought it was herpes, and it is not. I am so happy to have found this website, and going to make a doctor's aptointment today to discuss CV.  Also, this comes on about 8-10 days before my period.
Hey..this happened to me for the first time 6mths ago and happend for 3mths in a row. A week before my period would come I would feel the same way (down there) I used the 3 day combo pack from canesten (the tablet u insert up inside) and the cream for the outside each time it happened. Hasn't happened since the third time..thank god! They say if u get more than 3 -4 infections like that a year ( or is it in a row..sorry i cant remember) that u shouold def. go see your doc as it could be something more serious that u may need to be on a prescription for. Goodluck to u all and hope the itch goes away for good!
i have a theory , though no expert , i have polycystic overian syndrom (syndrome) , i can actualy feel lots of different hormone fluxes, especialy around the time of my period  , i find i get so itchy an sore , i think when my hormones are out of control it changes my vaginal discharge so it becomes somthing like acidic to my skin down there , your think im crazy but i was thinking aloe vera an soothing , i found a lube at the chemists durex play 3-1 massage gel / lube with aloe vera , it works ladies , just keep reapplying as desired xx
Wow thought i was only one! still trying so idea's but it seems odd that many woman have problem!
Okay so I have had the same problems except now i have sores with the itchy and I have been to the Doctor and had test done..So NO it is not STD'S.  I and my husband are very Faithful to each other. But I am looking to see if anyone has has it advance to those levels? If so what are you using I have tried everything that the Doc has giving plus over the counter! I too do not get sleep because of the itchiness, Sex is out, Help!
I actually have the same problem, about 3-4 days before my period starts I become extremely sensitive down there and then about a day later it starts to itch like crazy, I'm 18 years old and I have a yearly pap done and it isn't a std or a yeast infection, I just want some relief but I can't stop taking my birth control pill because it helps with my ovarian cysts, please help
im 21 and am having the same problem...I HATE IT WITH A PASSION... i have read a lot of whats on here and noticed that many have had kids and a few i believe have had miscarriages...MAYBE i dont know that has something to do with it?? i have never had kids never had a miscarriage ((atleast from what i know of...ive heard a lot of us have small miscarriges before we even can detect anythings going on in there.. i could be wrong)) never been on any kind of birth control pill because i come from a low income family i never really had the option of going to docs office through out my teenage years up until now that im making my own income i will be visiting...BUT ANYWHO... i tend to eat a lot of sweets fast food and CAFFEINE.. do to my job im hardly home. I hardly drink water.. i do not exercise. I have always taken care of my private area though...NEVER EVER had any problems like this and i dont know why this is happening. its actually kinda scary and painful.

my mom has advised sometimes the food we eat and not keeping you body healthy can extremely take a toll on you even your private area soooooooo i dont know if this helps.. you can compare your body lifestyle to mine..IF YOU ARE A PERSON WHO IS HEALTHY YOU EXERCISE WATCH WHAT YOU EAT AND DRINKS LOTS OF WATER DAILY AND STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM LET ME KNOW..that way maybe i can narrow down some reasons why all this is happening all of a sudden... im glad tho that im not the only one and i hope that the docs can figure what all this stuff is before its too late and turns out to be something worse than what we all expected  
I found it!!, I know this is gonna sound uncomfortable to some of you but stop using soap. I had this problem since I was 15 and every time I visit a doctor they would tell me I didnt have anything. I got to the point where I wanted to throw myself of the roof because it would be annoying. I am now 25 yrs old and I stopped having this annoying itch for 2yrs already. I figured when the DR. would say dont use soap with strong smells why not just stop using soap because even the ones that were for sensitive skin didnt help me. Since I stopped using soap I no longer have a itch down there, I feel great. Dont worry, you dont need soap to smell good down there, so you ladies should give it a try.
My goodness, I scammed through the pretty enormous amount of comments here, who are suffering with the same thing I am just now trying to manage with. I have noticed that prior to my periods within the last year or so, I could indeed have a bad case of itching down there, and it will die off once my period begins. However, last night was one of the worst and most painful nights to have dealt with this bloody itching!! I was unable to sleep for more than an hour because the itching was that severe. I feel completely thrown off as to how this came so suddenly and horribly. I did notice it's a bit drier than usual while I attempted to try and understand this itchiness down there through out the night. It's a very stinging itch that fluctuates. I immediately searched for answers via web, knowing that I am a virgin still and it's in no form a yeast infection. I tried applying ACV directly onto the itching part, and it very minimally worked, but was far from stopping the itchiness all together. To my further luck, we just ran out of our tub of organic plain yogurt also. I am literally about to have a breakdown because if it is this severe, where I couldn't fall asleep and remain asleep, how disturbing is this! It's still present as I am tying this, my period is not until possibly the next week or so also. More than likely, it's this imbalance of hormones or whatever that many of you are mentioning on here. I seriously am in pain for all of these hours now, I have been fighting off the urge to continue itching it back as well, but that just worsens the stinginess! I recently really began a much healthier lifestyle just to note. I was not as unhealthy before I began incorporating a few changes to my overall diet either. I am just very frustrated to realize this is almost a helpless disturbing problem for the time being and will I be dealing with this for the entire day today and night all over again and so on?! dear god help and there is far to much evidence that doctors are rubbish these days.
Ladies,

I've been experiencing this itchiness for the 7 years.  I am now 44 years old.  And it usually occurs 2-5 days before and after my menstruation.  What I usually do is get a bowl/small pail of boiling water and sit on it without letting my skin touch the hot water.  I just steam myself, I make sure that the vapor goes directly to my vagina for 3-5min.  After that I felt relieve from itchiness.
     I don't think this is harmful but I haven't tell a doctor about this.  
     If you have any comment on this weird home remedies of mine fell free to comment.
Omg!! I thought I was the only one with this problem. It drives me insane even wakes me up in middle of the night. I wash  every time after using bathroom and put a&d ointment to try and relieve itching. PLEASE HELP!!!
Glad to know I'm not alone. I've been experiencing this for a year now! Thanks for all of the advice and sharing! Bless u all and I pray that we are all cured soon!!
Definitely the food you eat...possibly the soap you use can contribute...use all natural soap...no dyes or perfumes...I use goats milk soap and never had a prob since.  However the holidays....desserts, breads and all together unhealthy carbs have contributed to my similar symptoms coming back.  I have been extremely diligent over the past year....cutting out almost all bread, sweets in order to get fit before my 40th bday.   I have succeded, am at my ideal weight & Lean Muscle Mass...then the holidays came & I let my guard down and am suffering again.   Back to diligence...no more bread or sugar...that doesnt mean never...just not every day!  ....now if that wont keep you diligent eating healthy then nothing will.    
I have had this problem for the past 5 years, it started soon after I had my son, I tried everything and nothing worked the doc had no idea what was wrong. About 5 months ago I started taking vitamin c, folic acid and iron ( one a day of each ) together with a pint glass milk a day and I increased my water intake. Since doing this I have never had a problem again. Saying that I can't be sure which one above has helped. But since taking the things mentioned I have never suffered again!
wow! Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Like many of you, my problem with this started out of the blue, I've been dealing with it for about 8 months. Im 46 and wasn't sexually active, didn't have a clue!  for those who mentioned cytolytic vaginosis, thanks so much! I read up on it and am in the process of restoring proper ph. *Please check before eating yogurts as this may actually increase the imbalance, (I was eating yogurt and symptoms skyrocketed!). I am taking a product to restore my ph and using the baking soda sitz method and it definitely helps! (fyi;the baking soda paste burns, but does ease the symptoms) Thanks sooooo much everyone!!
This is so crazy that so many of us have these same problems! I, like everyone else, have had this SAME problem! I am  irritated and very sensitive down there, but for a few days before/after my menstrual cycle it gets extreme. I want to cry after a few hours, let alone days. It is so hard to live normal because you are so uncomfortable, and like others have said, you could kill yourself trying not to itch yourself raw. It is hard to have a normal sexual relationship with my husband because I am so uncomfortable and I feel like I am just making up excuses to him all the time...but the pain afterwards is not worth it.  I have had it for several years, not knowing what caused it or what to do to correct it.  I have been treated for several yeast infections, but these symptoms seem to come right back. Nothing I have tried works....It actually makes it worse. Some over the counters make it burn and hurt even worse. The only thing that gives me temp relief is to use feminine wipes when it gets very agitated.  I am going to try a few of the ideas listed above and ask my doctor the next time I go in. I wish that this was something that was talked about more and some dr's could have some insight on this...maybe find a 'cure' to help all of us out! I am just amazed at how many of us there are..I came on to search (again) to find any clues to what might have caused this or what to try...and stumbled on this. I feel a lot better knowing I am not alone!
I am actually only 15, ill be 16 in a month and i have this problem too. I get little red bumps down there and they itch really bad like a day before i start my period. They occur every month since i started getting it. I have also been on a birth control pill for three years now. I started the pill to regulate my period and it work for awhile. I used to go 3 months without my period but now i can only go to like one and a half months before i get it in the middle of my second pack. I also used to get horrible migraines and i would be throwing up and sick in bed for 2 days every month and it happened around my period ever time. Now i just get a headache not sick off my butt. But this rash thing just started in, id like to say March? Of this year. I get paps too every year to check for cervical cancer and STD's but i always come out clean. Can anyone help?
I am 43 and have this issue also,  it is frustrating cause I don't wish for this for the rest of my period life,  bad enough the period but another thing to inconvenience me,  really?
This has been happening to me for years. I started having periods when I was 10, and am currently 17. A week before I start my period I have the constant itching and irritation til the day I start. I have asked my doctor and she said its part of my cycle and its jut how my body works, there's bo exact cause an solution for it except the vagisal and wearing cotton panties and looser pants.
This is what I am going through, but I am barley 16 and I am very scared, and it doesn't happen before like everyone else , it is during my period . It is extremley uncomfortable and the itchiness is just like something I have never felt , I cry sometimes because I don't feel normal and it has taken control of me , this is overwhelming . If anybody has any idea , please let us know .
The same thing happened to me for a couple of years. I somewhat figured out what caused my itch by accident. I was routinely taking gummy vitamins & after running out I was not able to pick any up for a few months. I had realized my itch went away but thought nothing of it until I once again started taking my gummy vitamins & for the next couple months my itch would again come up around the time of my period. When I made the correlation I stopped the vites & the itch no longer returned.  A few months later I was craving gummy bears (which give me no effect) & since we had none, I figured one gummy vite would not hurt. Low & behold around my time of the month the itch came back. I have since left those (& other brands I had tried) gummy vitamins &  have not had to worry about the itch ever since. Im not sure what it was in the gummy vitamins that caused it, just know that it was them overall that would spark an itch around the time of my period. I hope I was able to provide clues for other trying to find the answer... I wish you all luck. May your itch subside ;)
http://www.rephresh.com/Default.aspx

This helps restores ph balance to your vagina. I used to bleed during intercourse, and this helped a lot.
omg same heeere. they think its all in my head ):
I am so happy to see this thread.. as I am not alone to deal with this prob.. My vaginal feel itchy before the period starts.. And during the period my vaginal feel pain whenever I want to pass urine.. Consult gynae the urologist before, they said Iam fine, so sad they can't give me any solution.. :(

Is there anyone out there having the same prob as me? I only have this prob after childbirth.. Since then, i suffer every month during the period.. I am perfectly normal during other days.
I have had this problem for the past 2 months, i just had my 3rd child 10 months ago, I am only 22, but I am married and we are both very faithful, so I also know that it is not an std, I am very glad that I am not alone in this, I have always been to embarrassed to look into this issue. Thank you ladies for posting all this stuff, I hope we all can find a cure
I am so happy there is someone same with me.. My baby is 8 mths old. I have this prob when my baby is 3 mths. I am now very frustrated, whenever have my period i will worry pain when urinate.. Even consult few doctors also no solution given. Have u seen doc? Can share with me if you find the way to deal with this?
I've had this problem for about two years now.  I'm only 25, but it started up when I went to college.  Was INSANELY bad pain/itch for two weeks (missed lots of class because of this), thought I had a bladder infection, ended up going to the emergency room one night in extreme frustration and it wasn't that.  Doctor gave me some stuff for infection anyways, took all the antibiotics obviously didn't help.  Got period like a few days later, instant relief.

Ever since then it seems to be doing that.  Week before, insanely painful itching and soreness, goes away when I get my period.  Feels like it flushes out whatever is flaring up.

I will say that about every time I go to the Gynecologist, I have some faint hint of a bacterial/yeast infection.  And it does go away, according to the doctors with what they give me.  It may or may not be relative to this.  Personally, I think I just have some insanely overactive bacterial growth that happens with my hormones.

Doctor acts like its quite common issue, but nothing really concrete to help me.

What I've tried, that seems to offer some relief: Aveeno Diaper rash cream seems to soothe it (wash really good in the shower when using this stuff, obviously its not meant to come off easy with water), I sometimes use Monastat's Itch cream (I've tried Vagisil too) but if its too raw/sore I can't use it.  Thats where the Diaper Rash cream comes in.

I take Cranberry vitamins, and drink cranberry juice regularly to get all my Vitamin C in (stomach can't handle Orange Juice too well).  I have tried Primrose, but didn't take it for an extended time (the month I took it, I don't recall getting any irritation for a couple months afterwards), I will try this again though, and take it for a couple months rather then one.
Yes soaking the area with vinegar or apple cider vinegar really works, also you can insert the plain yoghurt into your vagina. That also helps to increase the good bacteria. for the itching you can use pure tea tree oil, dilute it and rub the area. These are all natural remedies but really work, this is how I get my relief.
I have the same thing and sometimes when I pee it bleeds a little. I went to the doctor awhile ago and they didn't find anything wrong with my pee. But I did notice that it helps a lot to drink water and I'm still on birth control it didn't change anything for me since I started to take it after it started. I use vaginal to help the burning and it does help a lot but beside that drink water and also cranberry jus help too. A lot of people told me it could be due from having a strong and acidic blood which it's why it hurt before and while on our periods. That's all I got! Hope it helps.
I'm not alone...Oh, how I wish this itch would go away. I'm so sick of it. I itch so bad about two days before my period, during the first couple days of my period and then again for a few days afterwards. I use vagisil femine wash, and cream and have gotten little relief. I'm calling my OB/GYN soon and praying he will be able to give me some information and I can get rid of this problem.. I will let you all know.
The same thing happens to me but i started to put vapor rub around and its slowely going away
I get the same thing at night time it seems. Try shaving the day it starts and see if it helps. And don't wear lacy thongs/underwear. Wear comfortable cotton underwear and flannel pajamas. Nothing that would normally make you itch. Shaving bare helps!
Hi ladies, just wanted to post an update.
I have been taking Quantum Ph powder for awhile and it does help, my symptoms weren't entirely gone, but I was MUCH more comfortable. The powder is kind of a pain to mix, it's best if you can blend it with juice in a blender, otherwise it likes to float on top and can be too dry to swallow easily. On advice of another poster here I just got some of the Represh vaginal gel yesterday. Wow!  what a difference!!!  It was almost immediate relief.YES!   It says one applicator lasts for 3 days. I had very slight symptoms tonight so I went ahead and took my ph powder as well. feeling fine now. I actually forgot all about it today and went about my business! Thats how well this stuff works. I got some of the ph tampons as well but havent used them yet. will let you all know.  Good luck gals!  Thank you Rephresh! Heres to feeling healthy again! :-))
I have the same issue its been going on for almost a year and as well intercourse can be painful and it causes it to burn and be uncomfortable for up to 2 hours after intercourse. Glad I am not the only one. I really hope it goes away I am getting married in August and would like to enjoy intercourse and having kids
I am so pleased I came across this page, I have told no one about my itching, but it really p****es me off every bloody month for prob the last 2 years.

I have not gone to the GP yet but I guess I will to see what she can offer, I too use Canesten, it helps for a while, but Sudocrem,ouch!!!!!!

It itches in the same place every month and only one side too, I have tried using non bleached toilet roll thinking it could be that but no.

I have found this site really interesting and feel so normal that so many people are dealing with this condition, by the way my babies are 18 and 17, so I definatley know I have not been itching for that amount of time!!

I will keep you informed if and when i get to the GP, thank you for starting this thread.

Nicola
Something to consider is a Candida diet.  There are lots of sites online that explain pretty well how to follow a Candida diet.  Conventional doctors don't believe in this and think it's a lot of nonsense.  Oh, yeah?  Then, why is the itching and the burning getting better already?  I ended up with a yeast infection that was external and not vaginal, but it explains so much with my own symptoms.  Make sure you look up the whole diet regime, because there are things you don't eat for a few weeks that might surprise you.  Be prepared to give up coffee and green tea during phase one.  Green tea can be reintroduced during phase two.  Green tea is beneficial but coffee isn't.  You will not be drinking black tea.  It is fermented and has lost a lot of the benefits that green tea has.  It is also irritating to the stomach whereas green tea isn't, so it would have to be because of the fermentation of black tea.  Remember, too, that white tea is the same thing as green tea, just younger.  Also, I am talking about making it yourself with a tea bag and not that bottled stuff that has all the additives in it.  That bottled stuff is no better for you than soda pop.
Im glad I saved to my favorites and found this page again. I have had this problem off and on for the past 2 years. It is a very unconfortable feeling. It seems to come on when my period is early. I am on a low estrogen birth control pill that is called Camilla. There is another name for it but I cant think of it right now. Low estrogen pills are suppose to be good for blood pressure. All the pills are the same there are no placebo pills for the day your period is on you are to take every single day! During these months I was off the pill I did not have the problem. Well I have been back on for a month. Unlike some of you as soon as I see a little pink then I feel the itching. The itching is right in the entrance. I have been tested for stds and etc as well and everything is fine. For years I was thinking something is wrong with my blood. I had one doctor tell me that it was some sort of discharge that comes before bleeding. Then I had another doctor tell me that its normal for the whole cycle. I thought it was pads then I switched to tampons. That was the same issue. Then I used vagisil and it made it worse. Years ago I used to use something called Norforms right before period and that worked. I cant find it in stores now and when you ask a clerk they have no idea what you are talking about. I know about them from my mother and I tried one years ago when I seen it in bathroom. Im 39 so maybe its an old school thing. I tried something for 2 months before I stopped the pill and it worked. Late last night when I went to the bathroom to wipe it seems to get worse... seems until you pray it away. Well I just moved and I just tore open some unlabeled boxes to find my homemade remedy that seems to work great and for some friends. Everyone says I use these things for everything! What I do is take 2 prenatal vitamins orally and I take an omega 3 fish softgel tablet or a vitamin e soft gel tablet or mix the 2 by poking a whole and squeezing half of it out and rub in the entrance not to far in. ITSTANT RELIEF! Make sure its gluten free, No artificial color or flavor and most of all yeast free tablets! Now the other thing I know works and it works for this and other issues but it makes you feel self conscious and you have to test it out before on a weekend at home. Chop a clove of garlic at least a teaspoon full ( do half when trying it out) and dont chew just swallow in the early evenings. I know some can not do this because it will go through your poors and even with the fish oil softgel solution you have to be careful with the ones that have a strong odor if you use to much. If you cant use the fish oil then just use the vitamin e alone and it should work.  I ALSO HAVE BEEN ON THIS HEMMOROID CREME KICK FROM MOSQITO BITES TO A MINOR CUT TO A PIMPLE OR SWELLING OF MY EYES AND IT WORKS. A friend teases me about this and she use a dot size she said with the vitamin E softgel and it took away her vaginal itching. She figured thats what I have also done.Well I tried that along with the fish and vitamin E oil this morning and it has given me relief. The oils seem to work for a few hours even if you go to bathroom and wipe. I have told  3 friends and they have been doing it and actually come and bring me small containers to mix it up for them. Give it a try and let me know what you think @***@****.
I hope this works for all of you as well. Nothing beats a try! Oh and Scott tissue is the best thing to use. Charmin will irritate it more and the cheap paper in public bathrooms so keep that in mind!. I do think there is a link for me when I eat yogurt,icecream or cake. It gets worse or I feel it sometimes when its not that tme of month. I think being lactose intolerent is part of it. The best thing for all to do is make a log of all the foods you eat 10 before period and what you eat during. Make sure you put the times and when the itching starts. I ate the doughnut and it was about a couple hours after. If I eat something lets say and lay down I will wake up after 2 hours and itch. If I drink a Mcdonalds smoothie I get this during premenstrual. I do think its what we put in our bodys or for some what our bodys are lacking. Well I have to go for now. Remember my name and maybe I can make it to that show Shark Tank! lol
I just started having this issue for the 3rd cycel now. I have bben to the doc , had a pap and it came back normal. She of course tried to treat me with an OTC yeast treatment, then a few coursed of Diflucan. I seemed to get some relief eventually then it went away til my next cycle. I am tired of this and her telling me it's yeast when I know it''s not. I am a diabetic and have had my share of yeast infections. However this is different, I have to discharge, no odor, and the itch is very concentrated just at the vaginal opening. No sores, no STD's, but just this malicious itching. I did try a month without tampons at the doc's advice, since Diabetics shouldn't use them as they are at a higher risk for infections. First time I had ever heard that one! Anyways last month I bought the screening kit for vaginal infections that Vagisil puts out and my ph is in "normal range" I did however try the REpHresh Pro-B Probiotics for feminine health for 4 weeks and it was gone. Ironically I ran out just about 5 days before my current cycle and guess what , yes it's back! I was wondering if any of you ladies have ever used Lysteda for heavy bleeding during your cyles? I started on this about November of last year as am curious if it could be a side effect that has not been reported. I know that it can cause your body to develop clots and cysts. That's another issue, I just got off those and am trying a natural Homeopathic remedy called Sabina and so far it's working great for the heavy flow. They are tiny little pellets that have no side effects and are all natural. You can find them in most health food stores and at the Vitamin Shoppe. I as a few of these other ladies sometimes experience the itching around my anal area too. This just ***** all together. I was really surprised to see this blog and so many other women out there with similar issues. I know there have to be thousand if not more that are too ashamed to talk about it. If our doc's don;t listen who will? Please let me know if any of you have used Lysteda and have had these issues as well. I wish the best for you all and hope we all get cure! Good luck ladies and bless you all! <3
Hello all Itchy burning sufferers.

I got your cure!!!

I too have suffered this awful condition for the past 4 months.
Every month a week before my period the itch and burning begins.. it lasts through out my period and when my period is done, the itch and burning is done as well.  I get 2 good weeks and then the nightmare starts all over again.  It started with a yeast infection, which I treated with over the counter creams... but I was still uncomfortable after my treatment was over.  So off to the dr to run tests.  We didn't find any yeast but he said I had BV... game me flagylstatin (yeast and antibact - incase the antibiotics caused a yeast infection again) took that.. still uncomfortable... So back the dr again... this time my tests come back negative and Dr can't find anything.  No help.  So I like most of you, scoured the internet, thinking it was one condition after the other... went on the candida diet... (I thought I was going to die! what an awful diet for someone who is 120lbs to begin with!!!)... tried so many "natural products"... Garlic, tea tree oil, baking soda, probiotics, the list goes on an on... I was convinced it was yeast that somehow got deep inside my tissues and thats why drs coudn't see anything.  Then my husband said... What if Dr. is right.  what if its not an infection at all.  I said.. ok.. what else could it be... He said.. I think we are looking at this in the wrong way.. we keep trying to find a gyno syndrom (syndrome) but maybe its just a skin condition.  EUREKA!  Thats it!
So back online... search search search... And I found it...
What saved my sanity and my sex life.  

A Dr in Australia (Gayle Fischer) who is a specialist in gynocology and dermitology.  She created this site to help women cure themselves...
http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide

Women come to her all the time with the same symptoms we have... itching burning a week before period and during menses.. then a 2 week break.  tests come back negative for infections.. Thats me!

She states that most of the time, its not a gyno problem but a derm problem.  Irritation or burn of the skin of the vulva that cannot heal due to the constant moisture, heat, rubbing, friction that takes place 24/7.  Imagine having a rash on your arm.  Now imagine placing a warm wet towel over it that rubs up and down constantly.  Not only would the rash / burn never heal, it would most likely get worse.  Now why do we feel it only for 2 weeks at a time?  I went back to my doctor for more answers.  A week before menstration the PH is fairly acidic.  Its supposed to be.  Then after menstration it becomes more alkaline during ovulation.  The acidic environment helps prevent bacteria to overgrow... the alkaline environment helps sperm survive the journey to the egg during ovulation.  Sperm cannot survive during the high acidic days.  Now imagine this..  Vinegar, a highly acidic liquid.  Imagine pooring it on your arms healthy skin.  You dont feel a thing.  Now imagine pooring it on your arm that has a burn / irritation condition.  OUCH!   This is whats happening in to your vulva and your vagina.  The normal acidic environment burns the irritation.  Combined with other environment conditions (tight clothes, soaps etc) now the burn is so itchy and sore, its driving you crazy.  
But why can't my doctor find the burn / rash?  Imagine looking for a sunburn on someone who has dark skin.  Kinda hard to find.  Same concept.  The vagina / vulva is pinky-red color.   A rash that is pinky red color would be hard to see.  Only a trained gyno/dermitoligist could see it.

So this is what I did..
I started my "treatment" during my 2 good weeks.  I wore loose clothes, no soap down there, changed laundry detergents to die & chemical free, etc, no sex (oral sex for me was ok, but my husband had to be gentle - its not forever ladies, you can do it!).  Then I got myself some hydrocortisone ointment.  Dr. Fischer recommends 1% but my Dr told me to use .05%.  Got myself some good old vaseline.  Dr. Fischer recommends using the hydrocortisone 2-3 times a day for at least a month.  Everymorning after my shower, I would sit infront of the mirror, legs spread and pay close attention to where I was putting it, didn't want to miss a spot.  I let that settle in for 20 minutes or so and then covered it with vaseline - not lots of it but just enough to cover the area.  I continued to use the vaseline anytime I felt anything.  I would then use more hydrocortisone late afternoon and before bed.  I kept up this regiment!  Being deligent never to miss a time.  always wearing lose clothing and cotton underwhere.  Then when my hell days began, they were'n't so bad!!!   I was not clawing at myself or crying or feeling depressed.  I continued to use the regiment during my period and used tampons- pads made everything worse and never any pantiliners.  I continued again during my 2 good weeks.  Then when my hell 2 weeks were about to start.  It didnt!  My skin was healed.  My acidic PH was not burning me anymore.

Oh I also drank lots of water, cut back on caffein (just a little).. and took Evening primerose capsules.  Basically what you would do if you were treating ezcema (eczema) or want healthier plumper skin.

Dont be scared by the hydrocortizone phobia!  
I was at first.  But then I got over it.  My skin did not thin out!  But then agian I used .05%.  

Good luck ladies!
God bless you all!!!
Thank you for all your  post! I feel better knowing that I am not the only one with this problem.

I am going insane with this itching!! it started last year in September when I got sick and took antibiotics. Took vagisil but no help got prescription Terazol cream and worked like magic. After 1 month itching started again before and after my period. I am still itching now!!

I would rather suffer migraine than suffer this itch!! I get mad and sometimes feels guilty because i snap at people around me. :(

Why there isn't a medication for this problem?
Thanks for the update!! Sounds like your have done your home work! LOL I am actually trying the RepHresh vaginal gel inserts that are made to balance the ph and so far so good. I like you have been using  petroleum based ointment that has triple antibiotics. It seems to work pretty good. I started the inserts just after my cycle and am taking the RepHresh Pro-B  capsules in conjunction, since they are best used together. I will let you ladies know how that goes, but so far so good! We have to keep on keeping on!!! Good luck to you all!!  
Wow..... I am so relieved to know this is a common thing. I was so scared and worried that this was something just seriously wrong with me. It started over a year ago and has been happening just about every month 1 week before my period. OMG, its horrible, the soreness and itchiness and discharge is disgusting. I try to take a shower at least 3 times a day and try to clean the are as best as i can but its so tender that I can barely touch it much less clean it. I know my husband must be sick of hearing me complain and deny him of sex every month around the same time because it's as if he has to hold out for 2 weeks every month without sex (1 week because of this irritation then the other week because of period) I have been to doctorS and ran test of all sorts yet no one seems to be able to help. I've been on that pill for 7 days and even gave my husband one just in case it was a bacteria that we kept passing back and forth and the first month after i was fine but then here i am again another month of going thru this all over again. I am frustrated and sick of going thru this. Please if anyone has the secret to this i will pay any amount of money lol.
Good luck to everyone because i KNOW how horrible this is.
Wow so I am not alone.  Had it last night.  Im sore like crazy cause I jusat could not stand the itch.  My periods came this morning - and the itching stopped immediately.  Oh what a itchy night.
I am so glad I am not alone. This itch/burn drives me up the wall. It usually hits about 10 days before my period and it itches all the way from front to back. I tried Miconazole to no avail. I tried hydrocortizone to no avail. Now at least I am learning that it isn't a yeast infection and that the real problem is my PH level. Now at least I might have a fighting chance. Thank you ladies for posting about your experiences and treatments!
I've had this itch for about 3 months.  Started after a yeast infection.  I have rid my body of carbs and sugar.  The only thing that is working is "herbal Aloe Force" skin gel.  It has natural aoe, pau d'arco herb and ionic silver that fights bacteria, virus and yeast infections on skin.  Look for it in a natural health food store.
I have had the same problem and have turned 42.  I know when my period is about to start due to extreme itching.  Vagisil made it worse.  The past three periods have been different though.  Here is what I did:  I found an OTC product called AZO at walmart for yeast infection cure and prevention.  It is a pill.  I take 3 per day.  Before starting the pills I did two different over the counter yeast inserts (monastat one day). (Look at the ingredients).  I also used a cream I got from my dermatologist for something else called Vusion and applied it to the outer area.  I literally coated the area for three days with regular monastat cream after the Vusion. The creams and inserts were done three periods ago.  I have continued with the AZO pills and I hardly itch at all.  It's a vast improvement.  If I miss the pills it returns almost instantly and I have used the monastat cream to get it back under control one time due to missing the pills.  I don't know for sure if what I did is what has caused the itch to decrease but it is getting better.  I don't lose sleep from excessive burning and itching any more.  It has not gone away completely but is not near as bad as it was before when my period is due.  I hope this helps you as well.  I really think the AZO pills and the initial yeast treatments are the reason for the improvement.  One yeast treatment would not work at all I had to do two. I have been looking for a solution for a year and believe this may be my solution and hopefully yours.  I only used the Vusion once so I don't think it is the reason but it is a powerful cream that is used for skin irritations.
I sometimes have the same symptoms. Once or twice a year. But in general I get dry before my period.

Creams and monistat and all that helps, but I heard that garlic, taken first thing in the morning( don't slices it, take a dime size piece)  with a full glass of water, for 15days really kills the candida. Google garlic and candida if you are skeptical.
I am getting my period in a few days and I started taking garlic( i used it before) because this month the itching got back and is just annoying.
Still no re-occurance of the wicked itch! Only using the RepHresh vaginal gel inserts and the RepHresh Pro-B  capsules in conjunction. Seems to be working fine! Had a slight twinge of an itch just in the middle of my cycle but only for a second! Literally!! :-) So much relief so far. I think I will do another round of the gel inserts at the end of this cycle. On my last day now. All is well. Just as a preventative I used a petroleum jelly around the strings of my tamps , to prevent any irritation and it worked a charm! I am hopeful that I have gotten over my issues~ Wish you all the best too! I also know that my stress level has dropped dramatically since I changed jobs! It was keeping under alot of anxiety and as we all know stress and anxiety can put our bodies under so much duress! Hope you all get it worked out! I'll keep you updated as to how it goes!
I found relief!! I've had the itching a week before my period for a few months & I'm a nursing mom. My daughter is 8 months. I dont have discharge though. When I delivered my daughter I was given hydrocortisone itch cream since I got stitches... Last night I couldn't get to sleep because of the itching so I used some cream & even this morning no more itch!! Oh sweet relief!
I too have been experiencing this. The itch begins a couple days before my period & ends a day or2 after. I went to doc a few minths ago, but didnt walk away w/any answers. I was told to use Cortizone 10 to help w/itch. It releaves the itch till night time then I reaply. I have been on the IUD since after having my 2nd child 3 1/2 yrs ago. Not sure if there's a connection or not. Didn't have this after my 1st child though & was on IuD then. I do know that things could simp/y be diff though. Would love an answer as to what has caused this & if there's a way to cure it for good!
Yes, this is definitely a relief.  After reading post from 2009, I finally came across someone with the same symptoms at the same time, lola87, mine happens off and one throughout the last years, but at the END of my cycle.  Like now.  I started on 30th of April and I'm done today, but the itching started yesterday and even worse today.  THANK YOU SO MUCH LOLAJUANIE and INTERIOR MOTIVATOR for the info.  I will definitely be getting the stuff I need to get and STAY better.  I do love sweets, and for the last few days since my husband has been away, I have not been eating as I should.  And since he's been gone for a month, at the beginning I was not eating any vegetables at all, no greens, etc. smh  I think I've learned my lesson. Thanks again loves! abd good luck to the next batch of sufferers.
Hi all and Im so happy I am not alone! I just started this last month and Im usually the one to get things happen that is unusual. I was worried, until now I see its human and I have no other symptoms accept itching... I have no insurance and so havent been to the doc. I just realized, like a light bulb went off in my head, that this is pre-menstrual... Both times it happend about a week before my period! Then when Im off the 3 weeks of the pill, onto the sugar I never take, it stops and I get my period! Its only for 3-4 days and I bought Vagisil and it works just fine. I noticed also its in the afternoon, early evening, for some reason. Maybe after sweatin a little from work ect... I would take my shower and put Vagisil on and am good until the next day!
Im so relieved to know I am not alone.... and I hope you all find some relief that works for you!
Probably it's not but made me think of Erythrasma.

It's caused by a bacteria in the blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrasma

when you are suggested some type of diagnosis try to look up Google Images and compare with your problem!
I hate this stuff! I am already 6 days late for my period so now the itching just keeps on going. I guess usually the menstrual blood cleanses me out and makes the itch go away but since Im late...........This is agony. It seems worse at night. You would think that there would be a cure for this. You want to scratch so bad but if you do then you get really sore.
Hi ladies. As per my earlier posts, I promised I would update and share what's going on. So far the past few cycles have been fine. I have been using the Rephresh inserts after my cycles, using the full course and haven't even had to use any itch ointments thus far. I have found that tampon string can cause a little irritation so I have been using a petroleum based antibiotic ointments or even just good old fashioned Vaseline around the base of the cord. It keeps me from getting irritated. So far stay on this regimen has proved successful and I'm sticking with it!! Besides the monthly treatment of the Rephresh insert, I am using the oral RepHresh Pro-B (Pro-biotics) They aren't cheap but I'm worth it. The good thing is once you buy the inserts and the Pro biotics all the box's come with coupons! Anyways, to make a long story short, give it a try and maybe it's just a PH issue. I am midway through this months cycle and thank God all is well. I have also been doing some meditation and positive affirmations about myself and this issue! Some may think it's flaky but I don't care. It works for me!! We have to understand that so many of our physical ailments or diseases are centered at our emotional level. Once you get that concept and work on other issues in our lives we notice things getting better! I am a diabetic and these things are helping my Diabetes as well. An awesome book to read is called You can heal your Life, by Louise L. Hay. She is an inspiration!! She has helped millions of people all over the world. So many of us don;t even realize that we have issues, but we do!! Good luck!!! Love to you all!!  
It seems to be common? And it really is a horrible feeling. It just  happens to me the horrible "itchy" during my period. I'm 29 married and only been with 1 partner for 9yrs, I have never been on the Pill and never been pregnant, seems that a lot of people think is part of the reason, but I don't fall in that category. But all that I been reading seems that some how or maybe my diet is affecting/consequence. I would try for the mean time and everyone your best to try home redemes chance diet and take Acidophilus to bring the PH in balance or buy Lactobacillus GG which has Acidophilus same ingredient in Activia. And I'm going to take more vitamins maybe I'm lacking. I will of course go to the Doctor but for know I'll take my part, and ill see next month hopefully it doesn't happen. I keep you posted and I'll tell you what my Doc says. Reading all the girls advise helps so Thanks
I've also had this problem.  I thought I was rid of it until this month.  I realized that for the last 4-5 months I had started taking probiotic supplements AND I had been on a huge yogurt kick.  I was eating 1-2 chobanis a day and I was symptom free!  I'm still taking the probiotics, but my yogurt consumption has decreased to about 2 per week and my symptoms have returned.  I think there is a connection.  
try the OTC RePHresh vaginal gel  and increasing leafy green vegetable intake like broccoli and spinach.  I had the same problem and this took care of it  Your PH is most likely not in balance.  
I had the same problem of this vaginal itchiness. Was having it since i was 18 and am 25 now.. i have went to doctor few times and the medicine they prescribed does work but the symptoms was back. so, recently i went to a gynae and after some check up, he said that it might be due to lack of vitamin C. he prescribed some medicines and cream for 2 weeks. now i am sooo relieved and have start to take vitamin c supplement. has been one and half month and i am so confident.. in addition, i am planning to take EPO as well soon coz one of my aunty got relief from this same symptom by taking EPO. but the brand that i am gonna buy is different from her. just to give a try and to prevent it to say "hi" to me again! :-) hope this helps for all of you!
I have been going through stuff since last January 2011.  First I found out I had a vaginal staph infection, then it turned into a yeast infection.  I have done everything with natural suppositories.  I thought I still had yeast but my test came back as I had NO good bacteria in the vaginal area.  I have been doing probiotic suppositories for awhile now.  I also have a candida overgrowth within my body which is what contributed to the yeast infections.  If your gyno says you have nothing then consider the lack of good bacteria and find yourself a natural dr. who can sell these suppositories.  I hope this helps someone:)
You will still have the burning and itching with lack of good bacteria.  I thought I still had the yeast infection but I didn't.
Omg! I'm not alone! I experience this horrible itching 3 to four days before my period. The itching is so intense that I have to sit with an ice pack on my vagina to help with the swolling.  I hate it. I've been to doctors several times to try and figure out what the hell this is.I believe its definitely hormonal and has to be related to being on the pill. My question is the women on here that experience this are they on the pill? Or have they been on the pill at any point around the time the symptoms started.
Omg! I'm not alone! I experience this horrible itching 3 to four days before my period. The itching is so intense that I have to sit with an ice pack on my vagina to help with the swelling.  I hate it. I've been to doctors several times to try and figure out what the hell this is.I believe its definitely hormonal and has to be related to being on the pill. My question is the women on here that experience this are they on the pill? Or have they been on the pill at any point around the time the symptoms started.
I am near 40 and have had three kids natural and one c-section births. Youngest 3 1/2 and still weening the breast but has a bit at night. Cycles came back after 13 months from birth. A month after cycles returned I started these similar itching problems before and sometimes after period. I've treated internal candida but problem eventually returns again. As well as with candida/yeast infection creams in combo. Treat husband as well. Totally do the whole routine to control yeast infections from laundry to food and probiotics. I have read heaps and exhausted the doctors. After reading one of the girls experiences on here I tried something similar and wanted to share it because it has given me relief. FIrstly, I am not on the pill only a copper IUD that does not have hormones. My problem started before that was inserted. I have had trouble with yeast through my life and am aware it is imbalanced when I eat wheat and drink milk. Once I totally got rid of any of it when I removed them from my diet. Although, then it wasn't a problem around my period/cycle. So now after each application of one full course of candida cream, just to be sure, I put a layer of this all natural bees wax balm called Tui balm. It's recommended for baby's bums, skin irritations, moisture, etc. I stopped using tampons during light flow of period and made sure I put the balm on when ever I am going to use any pad. Aloe panty liners if needed. Olive oil or this balm applied externally if going to have sex. Refrained from sex until the irritation or inflammation had gotten under control. I do think that throughout the month the consistency of my vaginal discharge would vary depending on ovulation and hormones. Some of the time it could be a hostile environment for sperm to live so possibly more acidic and therefore maybe irritating to my skin. Other times with too much breast feeding or other dehydrating factors and pads or any friction would cause a problem. But with this routine I have found comfort and no longer have major itching or irritation. My discharge never was stinky or discoloured so I believe it may not have been an infection all along but just an imbalance and dryness. Some people are more sensitive than others. Also the left side was more a problem always and I found it was possibly because I lay on my left side the most and that is where the fluid would get onto. So I keep myself dry of my discharge but with the barrier balm moistened and protected. And it's not needed all month long. So hopefully this helps. I do think it may be leading into menopause or maybe my estrogen levels are being affected by age or breastfeeding.  
I also forgot to mention probiotic yogurt and at least once a day probiotic accifophillus pills. And reduce sugar, and alcohol intake ie. all yeast infection causing foods.
OH MY GOODNESS! Thank God! I'm 22, I've never had any sort of sexual encounter, I was worried that I might have genital worts or herpes, but that didn't make sense because it came and it went & I double checked to make sure that I couldn't catch herpes from a toilet seat. I don't have insurance, so I've been avoiding having to get it checked and I just started taking rePHresh tablets. Since it seems like most of you are saying that this is a pH issue, I really hope this works.
This has been happening to me for a few months now, my GP seems to think it could be allergic dermatitis and has given me a script for a steroid ointment and has told me the usual, wear cotton underwear, keep the area dry and don't use soaps or body wash to cleanse only plain water, hopefully this helps. I'll let you know if it does
Today i started my period and when i went to pee it was burning it would itch then once i would pee it would burn ?? I need help i am  only 16 and this has never happened to me before , my period is really heavy and i have cramps like crazy  what is going on ;(( someone help me ???
I too have been experiencing these symptoms which started to present themselves after the birth of my child 5 year ago and the onset of hypothyroidism.  I haven't found the "cure all" for this; however, I have been using a cortisone cream to help with the itch prescribed by the doctor (over the counter does not work for me).  I actually feel as if the over the counter remedies just cause more moisture which in turns cause more problems.  The only reason I tried this is my daughter, who is 5, is very sensitive in the groin/vaginal area and had to been seen by a gynecologist, pediatrician and dermatologist for itching.  Of all the suggestions, with no real answer, I went with the suggestion of her dermatologist.  Using Dove White soap, no fragrance in laundry, especially undergarments, and the use of a cortisone cream.  The gyno wanted her to use an estrogen cream and I was very skeptical about using it seeing how she is only 5.  I know cortisone creams can cause "thinning" of the skin with over/extended use; however, the dermatologist said it wasn't a concern due to most of it rubbing off and the dosage being low.  This could be something to ask your Doctor about...at least for the relief of the itching which in turn stops the burning and pain. I get about 75-85% relief using the cream.
It could be many things, I would suggest a doctor.  It could be a yeast infection and I believe you can now get tests over the counter to confirm if you have one before treatment.  Or, it could be the onset of a bladder infection.  With a bladder infection, it not only burns but you feel as if you constantly have to use the restroom and when you do go, you don't feel as if you completely emptied your bladder.  Many other issues could be causing your symptoms especially if you are sexually active.  If it is possible you are pregnant you really need to seek medical attention.  See a doctor my dear; I hope this helps.  
I really don't know what it could be, but since it sounds pretty definitely hormone-related (always starts a couple of days before your period, always stops a couple days in), you might try eating 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed for a month (on yogurt, in smoothies, whatever). ...I know it sounds a bit lame, but I had a mildly irregular cycle and wicked-bad PMS for the entire week before and all the way through my period for more than a year, and a naturopath told me to do the flax seed thing. My first period after I started the seeds was five days early (with absolutely zero PMS; I guess it didn't have time to get started), and the next one was exactly 28 days later, with minimal PMS. Same thing the next month: regular cycle, vastly improved symptoms. So it does seem to work on some level, and it's worth a try.

Specifics: whatever's helpful in flax seeds is pretty volatile and doesn't last long after they're ground, so buy them whole (bulk food section of any large grocery store should have them for about $2/lb). Store in a container in the refrigerator. Grind 2 tablespoons in a coffee grinder or food processor just before you want them, then put them in yogurt or a smoothie or juice and eat/drink them. They don't taste amazing, but they're not terrible either. Try it for a month to see if it makes any difference. Hope this helps!
I have started itching in my vaginal area 2 days before my period starts and I am really confused because I'm only 12 and I don't know what is going on with me I just need answers.
I'm taking the generic form of seasonique (the pill that lasts for three months before I get my period). About 1-2 weeks prior to my period, I start experiencing the irritation (swelling, dryness, small cuts).  The first time it happened, my doctor thought it was an allergic reaction and prescribed an ointment.  The ointment didn't seem to help but the irritation did eventually go away after I had my period.  

The exact same pattern has now happened multiple times so I started thinking that maybe it had something to do with the hormone levels of the pills. I originally thought that the irritation would go away when I started a new pack of pills. I did some research and found out that ALL of the seasonique pills have the exact same amount of hormone besides the final seven placebo pills.  Since the problem isn't going away bc I start a new pack of pills, I believe the problem is going away because I had my period.  

Girls, I think the key to solving this problem or reducing the amount of time you experience this irritation... is to force having your period. I asked my doctor if it would be ok to start taking the placebo pills as soon as I experience the irritation.  She said to be careful with this because if you mess with the pills incorrectly, you can get PREGNANT.  For me, she said that as long as I have taken at least 21 consecutive hormone pills, It should be ok for me to move onto the placebo pills. I'm trying this now, and it seems to be working.  So it may be worth asking your doctor about.
I have been having vulvar pain for 8 yrs now. The first time I noticed it was with the first period I had while on Seasonale. The burning comes when blood comes in contact with the skin. It's like I am literally allergic to my own blood. I read your post about Seasonique and am wondering if there is some relation to the BCPs. I am going crazy dealing with this. I have seen many Drs. I have been treated for yeast, BV, etc and nothing works. If i get some sort of relief it's usually back the next month. I just gave birth to my daughter about 3 weeks ago and during pregnancy my midwife is first medical professional to seem to listen to me, and first that had ever gotten it under control for long period of time. It had been gone for about 5 mths. Now all the sudden it is back with my post partum bleeding. Same thing, irritation where blood comes in contact with my skin. Went and saw the midwife again and she even said "it's almost like you are allergic to your own blood." They are sending me to a vulvodynia specialist, but i cant get in for 2 more months. Someone, anyone, same thing happening to you??
I am 44 years old and this used to happen to me a weel before my period and dlast throughout my period. When I was 27 years old I had to have a hystorectomy and it stopped. My Gyno told me that is was a imbalance of my hormones that caused it.

Good luck
Missy, I went to see my midwife AGAIN today, and she mentioned that she would possibly recommend a hystorectomy if I weren't planning on having more children as well. She said the only thing she can think of at this point is that my period causes my pH to go crazy because of a hormonal imbalance like you said. I guess at this point i will wait and see what the specialist says. I definitely will try to bear through the discomfort if it's a matter of us not being able to have more children I guess. Thank you for your response. Although I do not look forward to what seems like is in my future, it's comforting to know finally that I am not crazy and others have had this same issue.
I am 25 and I started having this problem and thank god I am not alone. I was starting to think I was nuts! Since I know for a fact its not a STD or yeast infection. So now I know I am not crazy and I got so tips to help! Thank you ladies!
I have had this and have been told it is Candida (yeast infection). was put on a anti-fungal cream prescribed by obgyn, and was told to eat yogurt. If you can't eat yogurt try Culturelle.
i have the same problem mine started happening  two weeks after i got my paraguard put in, an it happens right before my period an a couple days after , i have tried everything , i do not know what to do , this time before my period i have not got the itch or anything, im hoping it does not come back ..
I am 16 and this started happening like the end of my tenth grade year :O I never had sex or anything! It just started happening out of the blue... D: It's terrible and embarrassing at school when it starts itching! >:(
I started having the same problem.  About four months ago, a couple days before my period I stared to itch really bad.  At first I thought I had a yeast infection, like most of the other women who posted.  I got some OTC medication and it helped a little.  It went away a couple days after my period stared.  The next month the same thing happened, thought it was another yeast infection, but I was starting to wonder because I only had one before, and it was while I was pregnant with my son.  So, when the third month rolled around and yet again I started itching a couple days before my period, I stared to do a lot of research.  I found out it could be an over growth of bacteria (almost like a yeast infection but with out the smell and discharge).  And the reason for this over growth of bacteria is because your pH levels are not right.

So, starting from the day I stared to take two garlic capsules a day and having a small glass of cranberry juice every day to every other day.  So when month four came around, I did get a little itching but not much at all, nothing a little anti itch cream couldn't fix and it only lasted for two days.  I hope this helps.
I am going to follow the steps here and see what happens http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/documents/Cytolytic%20Vaginosis.pdf. Wish me luck
I have literally the exact same thing happening. Only during my period I have unbearable itch. It's sore, dry, and red down there. I'm going to see if I need to switch birth control pills, because that can cause infection. I'm also going to try & switch to tampons next menstrual cycle because I think the pad could be the culprit but its unlikely.
wow i never knew so may person suffer from this. Thanks for that healty piece of information.
This started happening to me about 6 months ago. It starts 3 to 5 days before my period. I know it is not a yeast infection and I know it is not an STD because I have gotten tested many times. Sometimes the itch is so unbearable that I have to rush from social functions to the restroom just to relieve the itch....and then it comes back 10 minutes later. I really wish it would go away but I have no idea what to do about it.
I am having a similar problem. It starts at about the 22nd day of my cycle and stops when the period starts. Its terribly itchy and makes me feel so scared about those 8-10 days before my period. I wonder if there is any cure for this, as this is not a yeast infection or STD. Really feel sad that so many of us have the same problem.. yet no solution :(
I'm a Pelvic Floor Physiotherapist in Montreal and I see this all of the time. First it is important to get swabbed by an MD to ensure it is not in fact a yeast infection. If it is, it must get treated with oral diflucan and NOT canesten or monistat.

If there is no infection present (bacterial or yeast), then it may just be increased sensitivity/irritation at the vestibule, which is the opening at the vagina. Usually related to nerve hyperactivity. We call it 'vestibulodynia' (dynia-pain, vestible of the vagina). Google it :)

If this is the case, find yourself a Pelvic Floor Physiotherapist in the area. They should give you a hand with this :) Applying cortisone will make things worse.

Good luck!!
I stopped using monistat many many years ago as it did the same thing to me as it does to you- felt like i was burning inside.  When I called the company they said they changed the ingredients in the monistat.  I use clotrimazole only (gynelotrimin) now & it helps relieve the itch but comes right back.   I to have the same issue of itching prior to my menstrual cycle which makes it very frustrating.  I am going to try what you tried & see if that helps.  Thanks for the comments...
I too have had this very same problem as the rest of you ladies. I am so happy to hear that I do not suffer alone! I am now 38 yrs old and was diagnosed with BV when I was in my mid 20's. About the time I met my husband 15ys. I stopped taking the prescribed meds for be stupid and a know it all (lol) I have had one more child since then, tuble then a hysterectomy due to sever fibroid. My ovaries where left due to my gyno not wanting me to go into premature menopause.while i was on the meds and my body recovering from the surgery I had no problems boy was I elated to find that the itching had stopped. I thought all was because of the fibroid and everything was cool. Boy was I wrong. At the same time I have been embarrassed to discuss this with my doctor or my husband. Why was I embarrassed to talk with my Dr. idk y I ask everything else. Now with my husband it is what it is, He is a man and just wouldn't understand. Sex for my is horrible and he thinks its him. Like many of you I dig and scratch and dig and scratch until I have very bad cuts and a rash which makes for healing impossible then it subsides. Which means it last well beyond my "cycle". the rash is still there from the itching which means it always itches it does ease up a little which gives me great relief that it is clearing up. Only until recent have I put it together with the time of my "cycle", and remembering what I was told oh so many years ago. You all have been a great help I will be trying the home remedies that you have have discussed here and will be talking to my Dr. about everything.

Thank You All

Nikki
I also have this issue its been happening to me since some time ago in 2008 I have searched and searched.  I do no have health insurance so I have come to realize I'm allergic to my period or something allergic is happening before I start.  

It starts around 2 weeks prior to my period so I get maybe 2 weeks of itch and soreness free.  Its not a lot I scratch till I bleed, I dont think my hair will ever grow back not that I care.  I do not have no std I'm not really sexually active, no yeast infections or nothing like that.  Its the lips that itch and a little around,  they swell up so big its like two hot dogs down there on each side :( I hate it and want to just die when it happens and I think to myself I must be horrible for this to happen to me all the time like this.  I have narrowed it down to my period though.  now just to figure out what I need to do to fix it......... no itch cream in the world can help with this either!!

ps I have also been treated for BV and no success.......
I have been suffering from the same condition for a while before finding this forum. Here is a website that gives you information about his condition which is called Cytolytic Vaginosis. YOU CAN READ THE BELOW ARTICLES, copied from  http://www.cytolyticvaginosis.org/causes

How does someone contract cytolytic vaginosis?

Vaginal discharge is normal for any woman beyond adolescence and puberty, but there are at times some symptoms of the vaginal discharge that are abnormal and suspicious. The lactobacilli are bacteria in the vaginal tract that are responsible for producing lactic acid to maintain the best pH. Some species of this bacterium too produce hydrogen peroxide, which has antiseptic properties. The optimum vaginal pH lies between 3.8 and 4.5.

However, when there is an overgrowth of the lactobacillus bacteria, disaster strikes; too much lactic acid strains the vaginal lining and too much hydrogen peroxide kills even the necessary microorganisms. The pH also goes to as low as 3 or, worse still, 2. This happens when the lactobacilli start converting all the glucose into lactic acid, formic acid, acetic acid, and alcohol and CO2 gas. The vaginal lining gets on the defensive and starts producing too much discharge to counteract the effect of too much lactobacillus. This discharge flows together with the acid and killed microorganisms, which makes it even more toxic. As a result, the patient feels itchy, red and swollen as they continuously pass the thick white or thin colorless discharge. This results to a condition known as cytolytic vaginosis.

Most of the times, cytolytic vaginosis is mistaken, even by medical practitioners, to be a fungal and yeast infection (Candida) or a bacterial infection. The patient therefore ends up taking all the wrong medication while the real condition hides and continues to develop. Cytolytic vaginosis is different from all the other vaginal conditions in that it is not an infection, but merely a condition whose main cause is not really known but is suspected to be imbalance of hormones and of the general ecosystem of the vaginal environment. Main causes of this imbalance include pregnancy, abortions, contraceptives and IUDs, sexual intercourse, sanitary products and hygienic standards and products.

Cytolytic vaginosis usually suppresses during menstruation because the menstrual fluid is basic, which means that the highly acidic pH is raised. However, during ovulation of at about two weeks to the menses, hell breaks loose as this condition worsens. It is often confused with bacterial vaginosis, Trichomoniasis and Candida infection.  However, the microscope test is what helps one distinguish cytolytic vaginosis from the other infections. The epithelial cells are seen to have some lactobacillus attached to them and they usually have unclear cell membranes and a pale cytoplasm. The white blood cell count is often very low, and other microorganisms like yeast are usually absent.

A thing you ought to know before you even begin to treat cytolytic vaginosis is that it is not transmitted sexually. However, you need to avoid any sexual activity during treatment, as this may worsen the condition. You should also avoid any scented sanitary pads, vaginal cleansers, powders or creams. Also, as you treat cytolytic vaginosis, avoid using tampons; many people use tampons in order to keep the odor and discharge away, but it makes things worse. Allowing the menstrual fluid to flow through actually helps in raising the pH. Avoid antibiotics, even if your doctor prescribes them, because they kill all bacteria, whether good or bad. Thus, even the bacteria preventing odor is killed, making the condition unbearable.
I have the same symptoms ! I'm only 22 and haven't had a child ! I've only ever had one sexual partner. It's so painful that I can't sleep nothing seems to be working to relieve the pain
Viewing 1-200 comments: