Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Varicose veins / phlebitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Varicose veins / phlebitis

I’ve had varicose veins on one of my legs for some time and as a result a lump had developed on the calf just below the knee.  I had no knowledge about the veins (shame on me), until one day when the lump became red and painful and I started to educate myself after a doctor’s visit. I don’t know if this was a coincident or not, but it became inflamed after my dental appointment where I was given some anesthetics in order to remove a 4 unit bridge.

My PCP wasn’t available that day and I was seen by a new doctor at Kaiser. I told him that I’ve got varicose veins. He didn’t do nothing, just scheduled an appointment for me in surgery the same day. The surgeon did an incision in that inflamed lump and showed me that he took out a blood clot. I don’t know if that was a wise decision, because a day after I got another lump, this time above the knee which was painful.  I called the surgery and had an appointment with another surgeon. She said that is not the way to deal with it by cutting and taking the blood clots out. It was apparent that the clot started traveling and as she said, it could go into deep vein and cause problems.  She scheduled an appointment with my PCP and sent me for ultrasound. Ultrasound showed a pretty big lump and my  PCP put me on 800mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day and 81mg of aspirin once a day. I’ve been taking the medication for over 10 days now. She suggested taking it for 2 weeks.  I can still feel two and see one of the lumps in my leg.  I don’t know what my options are after that. Do I go and strip the vein, laser surgery. Please advice and suggest a good specialist in Bay Area. Thank you very much
1 Comment

Thanks for writing to the forum!

Varicose veins can be treated medically and surgically by the options you listed. However the course of action and treatment can be advised by a vascular surgeon. I am providing you with a link through which you can locate a vein clinic in your area. After noting them, please discuss about a good vascular surgeon with your PCP.
http://www.veindirectory.org/
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!