Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Veins on the back of my hands get dark & bulge sometimes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sometime the veins on the backs of my hands get dark and bulge slightly.  It goes away pretty quickly so I never think to ask my doc about it.  It happened again this morning.  Thanks for any feedback.
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum!
This is a normal phenomenon. When the venous pooling occurs the veins bulge with the blood and since they carry carbon dioxide rich blood to the heart they appear bluish. If you are a fair skin person then the veins are more easily visible than in a dark skinned person.
If you have pain, redness, heat in the area of the swollen veins then you need to consult a doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!