Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Vertigo, Pain in Mastoid Bone

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Vertigo, Pain in Mastoid Bone

I have, for the last three months, been experiencing increasing dizziness, nausea, and pain in the right side mastoid bone. I have some pain in my facial bones. The skin over the mastoid bone is sore and somewhat red and slightly swollen at times.  At first i was told it was probably a sinus infection and was prescribed omnicef for 10 days. My symptoms continued to get worse the whole time I was taking the antibiotic. I have had sinus and mastoid xrays and a ct scan which showed nothing. I've been told it is probably a virus and should go away in a few weeks; but it has already been going on for three months and is getting progressively worse. The pain in the mastoid bone is debilitating at times as is the dizziness. I have been told I have a small amount of fluid in my ears. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 Comment
Hi, jpowers

I was diagnosed with vertigo (inner ear infection) a few years ago and had the exact same symptoms (nausea, dizziness outside/indoors/when I closed my eyes). Had ct scan/ct scan showed nothing. The doc diagnosed me with vertigo and  prescribed me some motion sickness pills. I asked the doc at the hospital, what was the cause and she could not tell me. All I can think of is at the time I was going through a lot of anxiety/stress.  I took these pills for about 2 weeks. The extreme dizziness, nausea, ear pain subsided while I was on the meds. It took about 3 weeks for all to go back to normal.  You may want to go to a doctor ask them about vertigo/labryinthitis and discuss your symptoms.  There are meds out there that can help you deal with this if they diagnose you with vertigo.

Hope you feel better!