Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Very deep lump on back of neck on spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Very deep lump on back of neck on spine

I recently found a very deep lump on the back of my neck on top of my spine and extending to the right.  At first I thought it was a muscle not because I noticed it while sitting at the computer for a long time doing a project and it began to hurt.  It has not decreased or increased in size within the week that i have noticed it.  I am having some tingling sensations on top of my shoulders, and am guessing that this is related.  I am quite nervous about this, and am beginning to think I should go to the student health clinic at my University, but doubt they will be able to tell me much of anything except its a swollen lymph node.  I have never had a lymph node swollen this big, or in this part of my neck, especailly not one that causes tingling sensations.  Has anyone ever had a lump such as this?  If so, was it just a lymph node or a cancer or just a cyst of some sort?  I am young and healthy, with little family history of cancer.  I am nervous.  Should I be?
1 Comment
My son has a lump that sticks out and can be easially felt.  It is at the lumbar section of his back and on the spine then to the left. His MRI showed a huge herniated disk. He has had it for a long time and it really didn't respond to steroid injections or anti-inflammitory meds.  He needs surgery but has no medical insurance. He does have pinched nerves which do give the symptoms of numbness,pain,burning,pins & needles.  I would suggest that you see a neurosurgeon.  You may need to see your reg. dr. 1st for a check-up and x-ray,then a referral if nothing that the dr. does for you works.  Good Luck.  Either way try heat packs or ice -you can alternate; and try Advil type medicine for the inflamation (inflammation). It could be a pulled muscle with a huge spasm knot at the very least.