Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Very strange calf pain...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Very strange calf pain...

Hello everyone. For the past four days now I have had a strange feeling in my right calf muscle. Around five days ago I took a short walk, maybe 1/3rd of a mile. I didnt run or jog it, merely walked. When I came home I sat down and when I woke up in the morning, my calf started to act up. It is not a constant pain, and not a severe pain. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 5 when it is at its worst.  It feels as though there is a cramp that appears to throb every so often. It more or less feels like someone is digging their knuckle into one spot on and off.  The area is not red, and it is hard to tell if it is warmer than the rest of my leg. There is no swelling, no redness of any kind.  As I said it is a pain that comes and goes. I can still walk, it is just very irritating.

I have been a smoker for 11 years, a pack a day. I drink alcohol every so often, maybe a few beers a week. I spent a few years, around 3, sitting on my *** playing videogames and not much else, sometimes for 11 or 12 hours at a time laying on a couch. I am beginning to eat better, cut down my caffeine intake, drink more water and milk.  

I have anxiety an have taken 3 or 4 .25mg of Xanax when I felt attacks coming on.  I am not sure what else I can put to inform you better. Hopefully someone can get back to me soon and let me know. I have taken 2 Advil about an hour ago and can still feel the pain a little going on and off, as usual. Thank you everyone!
  • left leg pain (1 replies):
    why is my let hurting all the time? It hurts to walk,an...[more]
  • Calf Pain (2 replies):
    Recently I spent 3 weeks in the hospital with pneumonia....[more]
  • Pain in leg (2 replies):
    Sorry cnt find where to post this!!! Yesterday i had se...[more]
  • Pain in foot (4 replies):
    In the past 3 months, I have been suffering from pain my...[more]
  • calf pain (1 replies):
    I had calf pains for 10 years and nobody seems to know w...[more]
it could be a number of things...but you should probably make an appointment with your doctor just to see what it is...the scary thing is it could be a deep vein thrombosis(blood clot) so if you start feeling funny at all you should go to the hospital ASAP...if you have any questions feel free to ask
Thanks for writing to the forum!
The various causes of calf pain are atherosclerosis, deep vein thrombosis - leg pain on walking (A blood clot in a deep vein), Leriche syndrome (block in abdominal aorta and/or main leg artery), limb ischaemia (low oxygen to limbs), sciatica, spondylitis of lower vertebrae and peripheral vascular disease (arteries of limbs are involved).
In your case it is either strain due to over or unaccustomed exercise or due to deep vein thrombosis or clot. Dopplar studies or angiograms can rule that out.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thank you very much for the speedy responses, much appreciated! I have read up on DVT, yet there is no severe pain, no redness, no swelling, nothing of that sort. I bought a leg wrap and wrapped my calf, left it wrapped for a good six or seven hours while I slept, and then removed it once I woke up. I dont feel any pain now, or if there is any it is very, very minimal.

I have started tanning for the first time in about five years, only this time I am going to a tanning salon, got tired of being pasty.  Now the inside of the same leg, up in the thigh area feels a little burning sensation, towards the groin.  The high up inside of my right thigh isnt burnt though, which is odd.

I am without insurance so going for an ultrasound or anything like that test wise is out of the question for the time being unfortunately. Since I have been diagnosed with anxiety problems, do you think me thinking it is something serious can increase the frequency of these throbs in my leg? Thanks again for the responses!