Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Violent diarrhea for 4 - 5 days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Violent diarrhea for 4 - 5 days

I traveled from a 3rd world country recently.

Monday night, I returned. I got a fever, chills, extreme difficulty maintaining my balance while walking or trying to sit down, VIOLENT and frequent diarrhea, couldn't think straight. I developed a killer headache & leg cramps, I'm assuming from dehydration.

Tuesday, I was in bed or on the toilet all day. My headache began to fade in the afternoon and the fever was gone or was not as prevalent. I had no difficulty thinking. My had much better control of my balance. My calves were sore from the cramping, but the cramping was gone / improving. I did not eat all day.

Wednesday, I was coherent enough to ask one of my co-workers to drive me to a medic. The medic said that it sounds like traveler's sickness and a sinus infection. Put me on decongestants & antibiotics. Drink 8 bottles of water and 2 gatorades per day. He told me if I had not recovered in 48 hours to return. I ate lunch and dinner. I vomited after dinner.Diarrhea continued throughout the day. Followed Rx.

Thursday, I vomited when I woke up. Diarrhea continues. It was equally frequent until early afternoon, then only one movement there after - no less intense. I skipped lunch. I ate a bland, full dinner with no issues. Followed Rx.

Today, I have had one movement, diarrhea. I ate a mild lunch. I returned to the medic. He asked me to stay on my meds for 2 days, then return.

It seems that my only remaining / main symptom is diarrhea. It has become less frequent, and I am able to return to my day to day functions. However, I am concerned that I am still having diarrhea during bowel movements.

If this continues for 2+ days, what am I looking at?

I have never had diarrhea this severe or for this long. At what point does this become a health risk?

Any other tips?

Please provide your thoughts. Thanks.
It looks like traveller’s diarrhea only. It is caused by E.coli and source of infection is ingestion of fecally contaminated food or water. Drink plenty of water to prevent any dehydration, take some oral rehydration solution and consult a doctor/physician as antimotility agents to control diarrhea and a course of antibiotics is needed. Since diarrhea is associated with fever, so the cause seems bacterial for which antibiotics may be needed.

Hope it helps. Take care and do keep me posted on how you are doing. Warm regards.

The medic has mentioned that the infection may caused by a parasite related at this point, since I just returned from a month long stay in a 3rd world country and I haven't responded to antibiotics.

Is this situation a possibility?

What is the recovery time?

I have also developed a major case of oral thrush while taking the antibiotics prescribed. I do not have HIV or Diabetes.

The doctor has proscribed fluconizole tablets. 200mg on day 1, then 100mg daily for 2 weeks.

Will this take care of the thrush infection?

The oral thrush is due to antibiotic use and is a common side effect of using the antibiotics. You can take the antifungals prescribed by your doctor and regarding the diarrhea being caused by parasites, it can be a possibility but most of the cases of traveller’s diarrhea are caused by E. coli. I would suggest you to get a stool examination done to confirm the diagnosis. Then if the infection is parasitic then antibiotics won’t be useful.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing. Warm regards.