Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Viral infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viral infection

I developed a rash early last week on my feet and underarms.  Within 24 hours, it had also developed on my thighs, lowers back arms, and hands.  It did not itch or anything.  Last thursday I noticed a sore throat and a sore lower back at the same time.  On Friday night I developed a fever and when I woke on Saturday morning I have sever pain in both feet and hands.  Saturday night I dveloped a fever again.  On Sunday morning the rash began going away or slowly disappearing but the pain in the joints of my hands and feet had spread to my shoulders, hips, and knees.  It is so uncomfortable that I can barelyt walk.  My hands and feet also are swollen.  The swolleness goes down throughout the day and by mid afternoon the pain is dramatically less and the swelling has gone down somewhat.  By each evening it comes back and is so unfcomfortable I can barely sleep.  The next morning it starts all over again.  My doctor told me I have a "viral infection" and I have to let the body run its course to get rid of it.  Is this true?  He gave me Motrin for the pain and some anti-hystamines for the rash.  Do I have to just wait this out?  Is there anything I can do to speed the process?
Have you been checked for Lyme disease.  I know that Lyme can present in different ways and the rash doesn't necessarily have to be a bullseye rash.  It can also come and go.  The joint pain goes along with it as does the swelling.......as well as disturbed sleep.  I would definitely have a Lyme disease test done.  Make sure you get the Western Blot test done and not just a lyme titer.
Good Luck,
Connie
That sounds like one nasty virus! Did he do any bloodwork, like CBC (complete blood count)? This could tell him a lot. You should just be sure it's a virus, and not something else. Also, I agree with the previous comment. If you are really miserable, go back to the Dr. and ask for some tests.
Also, the rash isn't like Lyme Disease.  It looks like razor burn but on my hands, thighs, feet, inner leg.  It has improved and almost vanished.
Yes, he did do a CBC test it came back sith slightly elevated white blood cells, that is it.
Lyme disease rashes come in all kind of designs......it certainly wouldn't hurt to be checked.....rule out the possibility.  Where do you live?? Some places have many more ticks than others.
ConnieMK
sure thing, i will keep you informed
slightly, the achieness in the joints does not last as long
Can you get in to see an infectious diseases specialist?  Even if it's a virus, it's an odd one, and there might be some additional care available.  Even if an ID doctor doesn't think it's an infection, they should know where to point you.  Even if it clears up, I'd still want to get more info in case it has longer term effects... (maybe that's just me).
The elevated WBC definately shows that it is an infection, but it doesn't prove it's viral. The rash may have been viral, and then was compounded by a bacterial infection causing the other symptoms. Have the other problems improved at all?
i had something happen to me. i had a viral infection called herpangina. im really sorry for not remembering but he said if i had a rash it would have been something different. you should get yourself checked out again. it could be something different from what your doctor says. i no i dont' always agree with my doctor.
Hi, have you found anything out let?  It was such a puzzling sounding virus...I am sorry to know that you have had to go through this.  Hope you had good new!   - Cheri
Still wasn't sure.  He said it was a viral infection of some sort.  Living on an island and being in the Air Force, we don't have the best doctors available.  I received Naproxen last week and the aches went away and I am feeling mucch better.