Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Vit D deficiency, Elevated TSH and WBC

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Vit D deficiency, Elevated TSH and WBC

I am 40 years old and my condition came on suddenly. One day I woke up and could barely walk. I couldn't stand up straight and shuffled my feet..feeling as if my hips were locked up. I have been to Neurologist and Neurosurgeons and a Chiropractor daily for 8 weeks. I am walking better but pain is daily. I do have herniated and bulging disc in my neck and lower back but the Dr. stated this should not cause me this much pain. I just saw a Rheumatologist who stated my Vitamin D level is a 26 (put me on 50,000 1x week and 2,000 Vit D daily), my TSH levels were elevated, and my white blood count is elevated. These doctors are in no hurry to diagnose me. It will be a month before I see the Endocronologist and 6 weeks before I return to see the Rheumatologist. I do not feel that I can work. It's like waking up every day with the flu. I am getting very depressed. I am not crazy..I am in pain. I am on week 8 of constant pain every day. Can you please help me? Give me some advice or your opinion please?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A high TSH with normal blood thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) means a subclinical hypothyroidism. In such a setting, Hashimotos’s thyroiditis should be tested for which is an autoimmune disorder. However in 10-15% cases of Hashimotos the test comes back normal. Hence other thyroid antibodies such as antithyroglobulin (anti-Tg), and to a lesser extent, TSH receptor-blocking antibodies, thyroid-stimulating antibody and cytotoxic antibody should be tested for. Also the tests should be repeated after 3 months. As of now you may not need treatment.
Also since the pain is persisting, I would suggest you take a second neuro opinion about neck pathology of bulging disc. Take care!
47 i have the same..spineit sreions narrowing of the spine they want to do surgery  i get injection in my back i clicking when i walk
Thank you so much for your help!
TSH level fluctuate for various reasons but one is due to illness. This is called euthroid sick syndrome and is reversible.  Retest TSH levels in a few months. Vitamin D deficiency is one of the most common deficiency states worldwide. Deficiency symptoms include bone and muscle pain, depression, and chronic fatigue.

As you live in the US, a possibility is Lyme's Disease. I've read various blogs on Lyme's Disease and patients mention barely being able to walk when getting out of bed as one of the symptoms.  Lyme's disease is commonly misdiagnosed due to false negatives.  In the US, there is a specialist Lyme lab called Igenex which is highly recommended.
Very informative..Thank you. You have given me some things to look into.