Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Vivid Dreams Make Me Restless

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Vivid Dreams Make Me Restless

I have been having this problem probably for the past year or so, and especially the past few months.

I sleep in a dark room, with a fan running (I can't sleep in silence), it's usually around 65 degrees in my room at night, and my bed is comfortable. I usually get between six and nine hours of sleep a night, and typically go to bed between midnight and 2AM. I realize that my sleeping pattern could be part of the problem, but I want to ask about it anyway, in case anyone has some advice for me.

Every night, I have extremely vivid dreams. Only a handful of times in my entire life, have I known that I was dreaming. I usually am not aware that I'm asleep, but am aware of every detail in the dream. These dreams seem very real, and sometimes even include people and places from my life.

I feel as though I am awake and living these events, no matter how outrageous and unrealistic they are, it all feels very real to me. Because of this, even if I've slept through the night, I often wake exhausted.

Half the time, I remember my dreams down to every detail, the other half, I forget them completely or only remember bits and pieces. I wake up in the middle of the night often, but not every night.

I just want help so I'm not tired all the time. It's incredibly difficult to function throughout the day, and all I ever want to do is go lay down. Does anyone know what's going on with me or have any tips?
I have that problem too. Also sleep in a dark room with a fan even in winter.lol. I have always been a vivid dreamer. Many years of constant nightmares. Since I have been eating better and working out the nightmares have subsided. But still dream too much.

I understand that it is draining. Feels like you been up watching movies all night instead of sleeping. The only thing I find that works is a prescribed sleeping pill that my dad sometimes gives me. But that is only on visits. Don't think my doctor will prescribe me them as they are for people with pain and restless leg syndrome. Plus I don't want to be on meds that could hurt you in the long run or kill you if you have a few drinks. So I too would like to hear some other advice.
i have that problem as well!! especially when its a reoccurring dream! i dont know why it happens and when i wake up i feel like i havent slept in days!but with me in my dreams i never knew or realize that it was a dream! and whenever i can remember the dreams i always tells my husband and he say that i can be dreaming of something that someone else is going through or it can just be my sub-conscience thats making me dream that!or most of the time when i cant sleep i would just pick up the bible and read a chapter or 2 and ask the Lord to help me have a good night sleep! and most of the time it works! hope this would help a little!
I would say go to the doctor and talk to them about it. A mild sleeping pill could help get you past the REM sleep stage (which is where you dream). If you stay in REM, you are definitely not getting good sleep. For some people that is the "deepest" sleep, but not restful because of the dreams.
Of course, you wouldn't want to be on sleeping pills every night, forever. So if you start taking them, get relief, and start having the dreams again after discontinuing use of them, you could probably try talking to a therapist/counselor. They could try to assess if something subconsciously is "bothering" you...
Good luck. I have insomnia, so I feel your pain, but I can't imagine feeling that way after actually sleeping all night. Must be very frustrating. H
Thanks for the great advice! I'll try to get to the doctor this weekend. Much appreciated!
Did you ever get relief from your problem? I have the same...