Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Wake myself up scratching, but when im fully awake i dont itch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I'm a 20 year old male. Slightly overweight. I've been noticing a lot lately that I wake myself up scratching like crazy, and the itch spreads all over my body, but when I wake myself up enough to be coherent, I don't itch anymore. Then I go back to sleep only to wake up again scratching an uncontrollable itch. I'm not sure if the two are related but I've also been having a lot of trouble focusing, and short term memory loss. Things like sitting something down in a weird place so that when I look for it moments later,I cant find it. (Spent 4 hours looking for my key yesterday only to find I had placed it in my backseat.) Whenever I do get a good nights sleep the next day I will be really tired. Also probably completely unrelated, I have a tiny lump behind my ear that hurts when I push on it (not on the outside like a pimple, but on the inside.), and it seems to be giving me headaches lately, which I've gone like 3 years without having too many headaches but I've had several in the past month. Sorry for going back and forth so much, just trying to get as much as I can just in case they are indeed related. Any ideas what could be causing the itching? is it my subconscious?

thanks,
matt
I get itchy while I'm asleep from circulatory problems. I feel itchy because my extremities don't get enough oxygen while I sleep because I'm laying down. In my case, it's related to an autoimmune disease. In your case it could be because you're a bit overweight. The memory problems could be just stress. Are you in college, and is it time for finals? Also, you could have sleep apnea. It is more common in males, and especially those who are overweight. Your best choice is to write it all down, or even print out your post, and go get a standard physical. This will let you know if it's anything serious.
Some of the symptoms sound a lot like sleep apnea - the test requires staying overnight at the hospital or clinic where they make measurements and observations. If you have apnea (either obstructive and/or central events) you would then go in for a second test where they decide on the air presssure you need to keep your throat open when you sleep. Although it does nots sound like it there is also the possibility of restless leg syndrome - which requires medication.

By the way - if it is sleep apnea you will likely be surprised how fast your memory problems and tiredness disappear once you are on the CPAP machine.

I also suffer from itching when I lay down ... I usually take an antihistamine and 1 Advil when I go to bed and that usually helps.