Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Waking up very hot, then vomiting

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Waking up very hot, then vomiting

I am a 28 year old female.  For 3-5 years, I've had random occasions when I go to sleep at night without any symptoms, and a few hours after I get to sleep, I wake up suddenly with very hot skin (to the touch), feeling overheated (but no sweating), and I usually vomit within just a few minutes (if not seconds) after waking up.  Typically, once I vomit my body temperature returns to normal and I can get back to sleep, although lately a feeling of nausea and overheating has remained for a few hours even after vomiting.

At different times, I thought this could be caused by drinking alcohol, overeating, and/or changes in hormone levels (perhaps related to birth control pills), but none of those causes have been present for all of these "attacks".

Any ideas about where I should start with my doctor?  I've had my blood sugar levels tested, and I think my thyroid was tested too (but I'm not sure about the latter).  My doctor recommended taking my temperature when I wake up hot but before I throw up (because my body immediately cools off after vomiting), but I feel so sick and weak when I wake up, and usually vomit so quickly, that I haven't been able to take my temp.

Thank you!
hi, I know what you have been feeling. That happens to me as well and I am not sure of the cause. I know that it makes me feel so tired and so weak. If you find out anything, please let me know, thanks.
hello there , all your symtems seem to be the same thing my 8 year old son has, it is so weird, i am frustrated beyond my mind , he can be fine one minute and the next usually at bedtime he wakes up so over heated he vomits, i feel so bad for him it has been going on for over a yera, i thought at first it had to do with anxiety, but doctors say no, i wish i knew what it was or what to do for him......
Avatar n tn
This is so weird.  I am also a 28 year old female with these exact same symptoms!  It is VERY weird.  At first I thought it was something I had eaten but now that it has happened several times I am sure it has nothing to do with food.  I am also on an oral contraceptive.  If anyone finds an answer or releif please let us know!
Avatar n tn
I'm 40 and have had 3 episodes over the last 8 or so years. I've almost called 911 because I feel like my heart is going to stop.  I feel like I can hardly breathe, but I need to vomit, so I'm afraid I'm going to choke.  The first two times I had been drinking (kinda heavily-partying), so I was afraid I poisoned myself, but this last time I had only had one beer, two glasses of ice water and a diet coke.  When I woke up I was coherent enough to know that I was totally overheated with dizzyness and nausea and went into this anxiety attack in fear of the other symptoms.  I am also on a contraceptive pill.  If I find anything out, I'll let you know, but I wanted to add my stats to see if any doctors could offer info based on these patterns.
A related discussion, My body is to hot and I vomit was started.
I'm a nineteen year old female with similar symptoms. This has been occurring in my life since I was a young child, maybe 7 or 8 years old. Occasionally, about two or three times a year, I will wake up overheated, with severe abdominal pain and nausea. I would feel faint from being so overheated and end up lying on the floor unable to move with my heart pounding. I usually end up vomiting repeatedly during these episodes, sometimes throughout the entire night. I am almost unable to speak coherently due to pain and mental confusion; I remember one time in particular that my sister woke up and found me lying on the bathroom floor, and I couldn't think of some of the basic words to explain what had happened and why I was there. I began sleeping with a fan next to my bed in an attempt to prevent these attacks. That worked for a while, but eventually I had to add a second fan next to my bed because it would still happen. Since adding the second fan a few months ago, it hasn't happened again yet, but I don't know if that is a result of adding the extra fan or if it will happen again randomly regardless.
I forgot to add that alcohol and birth control pills are not a factor in my circumstances.