Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Weird bouts of abdominal pain...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Weird bouts of abdominal pain...

I really need some suggestions and advice.

I'm a 40 yr old female with acid reflux and myofascial pain - supposedly. I was also born with a hiatal hernia, hence the acid reflux. Since I turned 30, I've been having these weird symptoms only happening several times a year... but it really hurts and it's getting annoying. This is NOT menstrual related. I get such severe abdominal pains, I crawl up in a fetus position. So far this has only happened in the evenings, but lasts throughout the night. The feeling of bad gas/bloating/cramping and feeling like I had to go to the bathroom would accompany symptoms that I normally felt if I took too hot a shower - sweats, queasy, light headed with the room spinning/rocking effect. I would try to go to the bathroom, and nothing, over and over followed by cold showers to bring the overheated feelings down. By early AM, I would finally go a few times- if you consider a rabbit pebble 'going'. Then, I would have 1-3+ runs of diarrhea... almost all water. Let me just add, the abdominal pain is almost unbearable until this.

Thinking it was food, I cut out certain ways of preparing ingredients for meals. I cut out dried chopped onions, then I was terrified of garlic and garlic knots for years, eggs, and the list goes on. After noticing that it doesn't matter what I eat because it was always different outcomes, I had a garlic knot... low and behold, no night of pain. I'm still scared to have a scrambled egg though. I'm also constantly thirsty so I'm always drinking liquids (water, juice, ice tea) so dehydration is not on my mind until after the episode. I'm not a fan of bacteria either... my food is handled and cooked well by me.

I'm asking about this now, after all this time, because last night was the first time I ever collapsed. 'Fainted' even. I was out cold for 5 mins at least. I hurt a prior surgery area on my elbow pretty bad as well - I think it hit the foot board on my way down. I live alone so for me to just go down like that is a bit scary. The one thing is... I didn't have anything yesterday that would even suggest gas or intolerance and nothing that was on my lists of possibles... not even a soda. It was also the shortest episode to date... lasting maybe 3 hours instead of a full night.

Just a last addition - I know some issues can be carried through race and ethnic background - I'm white, Polish/Irish. That may rule out some things and rule in others.
just a note - my left side below the ribs is very sore. it starts mid front and works it's way down and over. The area in question is about the size of my hand. I'm not sure if it's related since I was helping dad with the garden. I also forgot until it just started happening again - I do tend to get what feels like little internal muscle spasms in the abdominal region...
have you tried cutting gluten?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Other than IBS or spastic colon you could be suffering from Celiac Disease/Ulcerative Colitis/ Crohn’s disease, H pylori infection, diabetes, food intolerance, malabsorption syndromes, constipation, gallbladder and liver problems, pancreatic dysfunction, or taking a diet rich in sulfites. Cancers of the gut and in female ovarian cancer too could be a cause. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your doctor. Take care!