Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
What causes Pain in your upper stomach left side under rib cage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Been to the hospital With Bloating, Sore Stomach, And Severe Stomach Pain Left Side Behind Rib Cage. The only thing that came up was transcending colon left side was slightly swollen. They put me on Flagyl and it didn't work. Dr. said it wasn't Colitis. Did Upper GI didn't see anything, did biopsy and I am waiting on results. Could it be Gastritis? It is a constant pressure under left rib case and the pain is horrible. Ever once in a while I feel this bad burning sensation right under the rib cage area. I can't bend over without it hurting even more, it radiates to my left side (back area). No Diarrhea and no Vomiting but its most painful. Constipation has always been a issue. No Acid Reflux No Heartburn, they put me on prilosec and for a few days my symptoms got better, but after 5th day the pain returned. SO the prilosec no longer works. I have been researching Hydrochloric acid in the stomach some people have too much and some doesn't have enough and I don't know which I am. I just want pain to go away. Please anyone? Could it be bladder, kidney stones? I have tried all types of stomach medicine and natural remedies and nothing has worked.

This discussion is related to RED PALMS.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Sharp stabbing pain under left ribs could be due to acidity with gastric reflux or hiatal hernia. Take a late night snack. Raise head end of bed. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. Walking around also helps clear gas. I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) if these tips help you. Other than that it could also be costochondritis, pleuritis (inflammation of covering of lung) or pericarditis (inflammation of covering of heart). IBS, Crohn’s, chronic constipation, spleen problems like bleeding, cyst, abscess etc can also cause pain under left ribs.
The other possibility is that the pain is no under the ribs but over it—this can be due to shingles or muscle pull.
The best thing would be to consult a general practitioner or PCP and try and assess what is the cause of your problem. Then proper referral for concerned specialist can take things further and get you proper treatment. Take care!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Hi, sounds like it could be a hiatus hernia, I have been experiencing same symptoms, unable to take a deep breathe, etc.. I have had 2 normal endoscopys, yet last one, I was gagging the whole time and it caused the hernia to show up. It has been agony last few days I really feel for you, literally.. hope you get sorted soon.
did you ever consider gallstones?