Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
What causes frequent hunger pains ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

What causes frequent hunger pains ?

I am a 63 year old female. I am 5'4" and I weigh 195 lbs. Size 18.
I gained fifteen pounds the last six months because I spent most of the day and night lying in a twin bed next to my mother who was ill and wanted me contantly at her bedside. She passsed away July 29 and now I am active again.
Question: Could my thyroid be causing me to have a slow as molasses metabolism? I eat when I am hungry
which is every two-four hours dring the day and evening?  It seems I am always hungry.
I drink plenty of water.  ***@****
Given your age combined with inactivity, stress and frequent eating, I think that is why you have gained weight.  I would have your blood sugar checked in relation to the frequent hunger.  I don't think this is your thyroid, but you can ask your PCP/Family Physician to check it out.    
Hi...u deff should be checked by ur dr, frequent hunger pains can also be from reflux....the stress of losing ur mom could have affected u as well as the weight gain...ne change in weight can cause reflux.

Ur inactivity could be the reason for the weight gain, if u do have a thyroid issue, it is best to have ur levels checked as well.
My deepest sympathies at the loss of your beloved mother.

"selma"
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You will be surprised to know that stomach ulcers and severe acidity can result in hunger pangs. Even GERD presents with similar symptoms. At times the hunger pangs due to acidity wakes up a person in the wee hours of night. Omeprazole is a good drug to combat this. Along with it you can try over the counter antacids. However I would recommend you see a doctor and take medication under a doctor’s supervision. Avoid heavy meals and take frequent small ones. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food. Take a late night snack and keep lozenges or crackers beside to bed to be eaten when the  pain starts. If you are on contraceptive depot shot then this can cause acidity and make you feel as though you are hungry due to lot of acid. The other possibility is diabetes, hyperthyroid states and worms in the gut. All can keep you hungry 24x7. Though a rare disorder, pancreatic insulinomas should also be thought of in your case and have someone check your blood sugar while you have an anxiety *** hunger attack. The hypoglycemia in this is transient and there is a quick increase in blood glucose once you eat.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!