Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
What does a regular blood test tell you?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I didn't know where else to post this so I thought this would be a good place.

When you go to the doctors and they do a regular blood test, what does it all tell you? Are there certain things it tells you, but not everything? Does it show diseases..etc?

Im just wondering because I've done a bunch in July when I went to the ER and everything was normal, and I did one with my physician a couple months ago and that was normal as well, but im STILL always paranoid that something is wrong with me. Probably because of my anxiety..but I've always wanted to know what a blood test tells?
Tags: test, glucose
A couple weeks ago I took some blood tests during a regular checkup. My doctor told me that these tests can tell you which vital organs (kidneys, liver, etc.) are or not acting normally. Its like using a thermometer to take your temperature but instead these tests check your blood levels. Hope this helps.  

CBC is normally the blood tests done.  It will show white blood cells, red blood cells, iron, potasium, gluclose & a couple of other things.Urine is usually taken too.  If you white bllod cells are high that could mean you have an infection somewhere (I THINK). What are your symptoms and what sends you to the ER?  How long have you experienced each symptom?  The more you can tell us the better we can make suggestions on which way to go or where to look for info.
I went to the ER back in July for having a really fast heart rate along with numbness, and hyperventilating. Then back in November and December I went to the doctors because I thought I had the flu but I didn't and they took a blood test and said that I might have a high billirubin. They told me it might have looked that way because I wasn't eating due to me not feeling again so they gave me another test and it turned out fine.

So a regular test does show your glucose? As in diabetes right? I don't know why but I've been so paranoid lately about that. Even though I've had tests done. I think it's just my anxiety kicking in again.
what do you mean chemistry labs? lol

is that a certain test?

for instance I went to my doctor and it was either get the tests done there or go to a lab a couple streets down from me so I went there and got them done in the lab and thats where they researched it. is that what you mean by chemistry labs? so did they check my glucose, potassium, and everything else?

I am all confused. lol

It really depends on the blood test your physician ordered. Usually blood tests performed during a physical will include a CBC/DIFF --- (white cell count, hematocrit, platelet count. The differential part looks more closely at your white cells -- i.e. lymphocytes, monocytes, etc.)

Chemistry labs look at your electrolytes (potassium, sodium, etc) --- glucose, renal labs & liver enzymes (ALT, AST)

ahh I see what you mean. thanks for clearing it up. :)

Nobody here can tell you which labs your physician ordered on you, except your physician's office.

Chances are though, they did a CBC/DIFF & Chemistry labs (Chemistry is the department that does those labs I mentioned -- other than the CBC)

I hate to say this but I think that your anxiety is kicking up. It can cause feelings of a heart attack, nausea, blurred vision, hyperventalating, dizziness, numbness of the face and other body parts, feeling faint and more.  Get some help for that and stop worrying about the blood tests. If you are worried about diabeties or something then just look up the symptoms and see if yours matches.  There is a gluclose test done over a 6hour period for diabeties among other tests that can be done.  Doctor choose what kind they want according to your symptoms and history etc.  Good luck & feel better
can the physical blood test or urine test tell you if you are pregnant or not?
A related discussion, why am i so swollen all the time was started.
This may be a silly question or obvious but Can a standard blood test performed reveal signs if someone has HIV? Or is there seperate testing all together?