Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
What does low white blood cells mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

What does low white blood cells mean?

I have low white blood cell count 3.5 on recent lab work. It indicated an abnormal range but the doctor didn't mention it. What does a low WBC mean?
there can be many reasons why this can happened i had the same thing happened to me but the doctor wasn't worried about it b/c a few weeks later i got more blood work done and it was normal. your body could be fighting an infection right now and if its an infection that just started usually your count will be low at first then your body creates more white blood cells to help fight it. so it should start to go back up within the next few days. if it was something serious your doctor would mention it. now if it doesn't go back up then that's when you need to worry.
Your white count might be low but if your other wbc compnents as the neutrophil,lymphocyte counts are within limits then you are probably okay.Maybe as the other person said it could be an infection.Viral infections will do that.If you are worried then have it redone in a week or so.
Thanks for the response, I am going to look into having it retested as I also think I have something going on with my thyroid. Maybe the problem is related but I don't know.
Thanks for the comment. You might be right and it could have been just a simple infection somewhere. I am going to ask for more bloodwork just to be sure and I wonder if my thyroid also played a part as I just found out I have a low T$4
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A low WBC go more in favor of parasitic infections. Get the stool tested. The other possibility is viral infection, allergy, lupus, hyperthyroid states, hypersplenism, disorders of liver, bone marrow failure, and rheumatoid arthritis. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your doctor for further evaluation. Take care!
Thanks for your time and insight, I look have my doctor look other possibilities as there were other symptoms that were of concern to me.
I've seen more than one thing that says under 4 is low.  I've seen online under 3.5 is low and the lab my doctor typically uses I think goes by that standard.  I had a 2.8 WBC with slightly elevated monocytes during a stomach virus.  I worried needlessly and prayed often.  I got retested a week later and my numbers were completely normal- my WBC was 4.8 and all other numbers of the differential were normal.  I had read that viral infection could cause a reduction in WBC and monocytes & was so thankful to God that's all it was.  I hope it's something simple like that for you too, irishgirl!