What is the treatment for a broken sternum?
The Xiphoid process broke on my husband's sternum.  He is getting a bone scan this week but we realize we left the doctor's office without finding out how they are going to treat it.  Does anyone know what is done when the Xiphoid process gets broken?
what is the healing process for my sterunm and ribs,  broken in auto accident.

Isolated sternal fractures are associated with low morbidity and mortality but do require management of pain. Often, they serve as a marker for cardiac and concomitant injuries. When confronted with a sternal fracture, it is important to access the heart via an EKG and cardiac serum enzymes and have the patient evaluated by a cardiologist. Although an Isolated Sternal Fracture has a good prognosis, careful evaluation and clinical observation are useful.

Management involves treating associated injuries; people with sternal fractures but no other injuries do not need to be hospitalized. However, because it is common for cardiac injuries to accompany sternal fracture, heart function is monitored with electrocardiogram. Fractures that are very painful or extremely out of place can be operated on to fix the bone fragments into place, but in most cases treatment consists mainly of reducing pain and limiting movement. The fracture may interfere with breathing, requiring intubation and mechanical ventilation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternal_fracture

So if there is no damage to the heart, then a wait and watch policy is adopted.OTC pain killers like brufen can be taken for pain. Moreover movement is restricted for some time so that union takes place.

In case you need more information,pls do post us.

Take care and God bless.

How are you?
Blunt force trauma is almost always the cause of sternal fractures.
Depending on the severity of injury it may take 6 weeks to 6 months to heal. Treatment includes immobilization of the broken sternum. Physical therapy is recommended in some cases.
The general rule is the faster the treatment starts the quicker is the rate of recovery.
Keep us posted!
I am Dr. Arch S. Miller and am on the reconstructive surgery forum. The sternum should be fixed with rigid fixation. It is can be repaired with a device called the talon. You can see this on the web site rapidsternalclosure.com. There are now hundreds of sternal repairs with this device, and it yields rapid repair, and excellent recovery to return to full activity. You amy also call my office for further information and referrals. Dr. Scott Levin of Duke University in North Carolina and Dr. James Spann  in Tuls are also eperts in this reconstruction I hope this helps you, respectfully,

arch s miller ms md facs
I fractured my sternum about 10 yrs. ago.Now every 2 or  3 years it seems when I am doing some kind of physical labor I reinjure it with all the same symptoms of the original injury.The pain is awful.Will this happen for the rest of my life?
Dr. Miller's suggestion was right on the money.

One question which arises is why the fracture took place? A normal body does not develop such an injury. That question should be addressed by your physician.

A long long time ago I accidentally fractured a person's xiphpoid process performing CPR. Actually it was a mental patient who was faking a cardiac arrest, and I was a bit too enthusiastic with what was then called the "precordial thump". I was in too much of a hurry to be a hero, and did not use my thinking cap.

In any event, I followed him up, because I felt terrible, and he was in quite a bit of discomfort for about a year, but it eventually healed completely.
A related discussion, xiphoid process was started.
I have a non displaced fracture of the outer cortex of the sternum resulting from a car accident I was in on April 24, 2010. It is now November. I had another ct scan yesterday and it showed that the fracture has not healed at all. My doctor says it's stable, but because of the amount of pain I'm in he is having me see a pain management specialist. Will the fracture ever heal? Can I go the rest of my life with my sternum fractured? And can I anticipate being in pain like this forever???