Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
What is wrong with me?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

What is wrong with me?

It all started about 8 months ago when i started feeling extremely tired,dizzy, disoriented, light headed upon standing and generally feeling unwell. After a week of this i got a blood test and discovered i had mono. After several weeks of resting at home i began experiencing panic attacks at the thought of returning to school or going out of the house. It was not convenient that at this time i was also expected to complete my final exams. But some how through counseling I was able to return to school yet still having troubles leaving the house afterward. Months later, when the mono was long out of my system, i still continued having this awful disorientation and fatigue. It felt like i was in a dream, like I was going to fall over or pass out at any moment. My concentration suffered tremendously, which made it very difficult for me being a student to concentrate during classes. I also have been experiencing horrible insomnia for the past couple of years in which i will not be able to sleep for days. This mixed with everything else has made my life unbearable! My family doctor believes that there is nothing wrong with me except anxiety. Her only suggestion was for me to get some exercise which mixed with my tiredness and dizziness is extremely difficult. So with that useless help i continued to suffer daily unable to make this horrible thing go away. I have had blood tests( all came back fine) and an EkG(came back fine). A month ago i was diagnosed with agoraphobia and depression.  The only reason i have these things is because I feel so awful all the time. I wouldn't be agoraphobic if i didn't feel like i was going to pass out all the time. Please if you have any ideas as to what may be wrong with me please let me know.
Welcome to the forum!
There is a chance you have a disturbed sleep pattern which is causing you to be disoriented, lethargic and fatigued during the day. This could also cause poor concentration. Hence it is important to consult a sleep specialist. Consult your PCP regarding referring you to one.
Post viral fatigue syndrome is another possibility and this is a very common disorder. Also there are no magic pills for it. This can be treated patiently with exercise, good diet, work out plans and multivitamins. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables and proteins should be taken along with a multi vitamin supplement. Eat 5-7 small regular meals every day. Drink plenty of water. Do deep breathing exercises. Join a good trainer and start an exercise program that will help you build up stamina. Try doing an activity a day that interests you. Try to remain calm.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you doctor. Do you think that I could have Post viral fatigue syndrome because of the mono?
Thanks for keeping me posted!
Yes, it is possible to suffer from post viral syndrome after mono infection. Take care of simple things I mentioned earlier and you should be fine. If things do not improve discuss with your doctor. Sleep studies may be required.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
i was also thinking about chronic fatigue and Epstein bar infection. Is it possible to have any of those? Because I know that mono is caused by the epstein bar virus.
Yes it is a possibility you cannot rule out completely. Poor sleep patterns can aggravate it. It could also be a case of poor diet and anemia among the other possibilities mentioned earlier.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Take care!