We are 34, 27, 15, and 3. The muscle/joint pain/stiffness is the most bothersome of the symptoms. We find that we can't sit still for very long withought moving or stretching because of the pain & stiffness.
The pain/stiffness is mainly in our lower extremities, however, we have had the pain/stiffness in our arms, legs, neck, and back.
I have been to many DRs and I have had many tests including CBC, thyroid, CT scan, sed rate, chem panels, etc. I had one DR tell me it was Fibromyalgia. I find that odd, though, since the whole family is experiencing similar symptoms.
We feel like we are 80 years old some days. The stiffness and pain is not quite as bad first thing in the morning, but worsens as the day goes on. It actually gets better with physical activity - of course until the physical activity is over - then we ar right back to the same pain and stiffness.
At this point, the Drs are just treating symptoms, but I feel like there must be an underlying cause, especially since we are all suffering.. Please help.
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?
Also it's not unlikely that families share autoimmune symp's, like FMS and Lyme too.
Has this been going on for a long time, or did it come on suddenly? Did your family start eating anything different when the symps started, such as drinking soda's or something that might have a chemical your fam is sensitive too. Artificial sweeteners can cause very similar symp's as you described.
Plateletgal has good suggestions, hope you get answers soon, we know how you are feeling!
I have often thought that maybe it is something in the house, but in my research I have not found anything that is consistent with our symptoms. I have only found that mold will cause allergy type symptoms.
I also should add that the 15 year old is a step-child, so I am not sure that would be a genetic factor. Originally, I thought the problem was just with me - that's why I have had all of these tests done - but the more I would share about the way I feel, the more symptoms we all found we had in common.
I thought maybe it was my weight, since I am about 10-15 lbs. overweight, but the 15 year old is in great shape and very athletic.
My best guess would be something environmental - in the house, or something infectious. No tick bites, no artificial sweeteners, very little caffeine in our diets, we eat relatively healthy.
Mold exposure can cause those symptoms & more.Our whole family was affected with it almost killing my then 12 yr. old.The mold affects the occipital nerve causing headaches.It could be in the walls (like ours)where you can't even see it.
My daug.was diagnosed by a pulmonologist when she started coughing up blood.
Besides the symptoms u mention there can be coughing blood,hair loss,chest pain, dizziness,upper resp. infections,frequent bruising.It isn't easy 4 an allergist to diagnose because when mold gets into your body it turns into a toxin.
best of luck!
There are mold remediators that can test in your walls.We lived in an apt. & they didn't treat it the right way.After getting out of the environment Every one except the oldest daughter was o.k.She had to take high doses of steroids to build her lungs which were damaged.She was on preventative meds until earlier this year.She still keeps an inhaler just in case.Luckily no attacks in almost a year.
If someone tells you there is mold & they can just cut it out,don't believe it.There has to be a ?negative ion machine.And other steps to follow.
Best of luck to you & your family!
Have everyone in the family checked by different doctors - blood, urine, etc. and see if anything turns up. Sometimes one doctor or one lab might not pick up on something in trace amounts. If nothing is found, check with your neighbours to see if anyone who lives nearby has the same or similar symptoms... it could be something in your environment, such as overhead electrical wires, cables, or something in the earth that is affecting your air or drinking water. Moulds are also a possibility, as is old paint that contains lead. Is there a refinery or factory nearby that is emitting toxic material into the air? Try to locate someone in your area who can do tests to detect something in your indoor and outdoor environment for some kind of toxin that might be causing this. Good luck.
I agree with the mold issue. You can have this checked by an environmental agency in your area. The symptoms of mold can be very very mild, or very extreme. And no, you don't have to see it for it to be there.
I've never heard of a 3 yr old w/ fibro. Take the youngest for
blood testing. They are the most prone to show allergy house
problems first. They can ck CO2 gas levels & IG levels for an
out of norm condition. 3, normally has a strong immune system
except to the typical cold/etc. The smaller the body, the more
'unusual' results would come up. You could take the teen if
you'd rather not upset the age 3 to tests. What does the age 3
have? They're sharp & like to mimic adults. Cysts should be
cultured & ck'd by a Dermatologist. The type of bacteria found
may give the answer. Mold usually causing breathing illnesses
or sinus conditions. How long have you been living in vacinity?
Do you work outside home? Sounds like an inflammatory response
& I'd journal good/bad days w/ the teen. He can articulate the
symptoms more clearly since he's closer to adult age & should
have a strong immune system. Dr's tend to say hormones etc. w/
a woman. Evaluate the teen.
My family rented a nice town house for three years we were all having all symtoms above the basment smelled musty but not the whole house and let me add it was a newer home early90's we hierd a mold enspecter to come take samples from each room it was the best 500.00 we spent we had black mold above top floor differnt molds in air in middle floor and in basement 3 dangerouse molds pennicillian also in air we had to move and throw every thing that we could not wash away but we feel great no pain dizziness head and face pain all gone mold can do many differnt things to people it can effect people in differnt ways.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.