Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Why Am I Falling?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Why Am I Falling?

I have been having falling down episodes for the last year. I will be walking down the street and then I feel like I've tripped and then am on the ground. I fell in November and hurt my ankle pretty badly. I just fell again yesterday (always falling forward) and hit my face on the concrete. I have fallen when walking with my 7 year old son and he gets very concerned and upset. This never used to happen and I don't know why it is now or what I should do.
How slick was it? Some people just don't have coordination- LIKE ME. Unless you are 50+, I wouldn't be concerned. Take a multivitamin daily and get a source of calcium.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There are many causes of unexplained fall. One is that the proprioceptive receptors of foot are at fault and they are not able to take in the variation in the floor. The other possibility is an internal ear problem. It an also be due to pinched cervical spinal nerve. Brain injuries, tumors, transient ischemic attacks and bleed have to be ruled out in your case. It can also be a vasovagal attack.
The best thing would be to consult a general practitioner or PCP and try and assess what is the cause of your problem. Then proper referral for concerned specialist can take things further and get you proper treatment. Take care!
As doctornee stated, one of the possibilities is a malfunction of what are called proprioceptive receptors in the feet. These are sensors that provide feedback to the brain that determine when the human body is "level".

The "system" to maintain balance involves the receptors, the nerve pathways to the brain, and the processing circuits in the brain. A deficit in any one of these areas can lead to loss of balance. There is a "back-up" which involves the visual portion of the brain. Paying special attention to the surroundings can help. Try walking a bit more slowly and deliberately. Do not fall into the habit of looking at the sidewalk - pay attention to where you are going. Holding someone's hand when you walk - even a child's hand - will provide feedback.

Purchase "soft shoes" that are flexible, such as sneakers that enable your feet to feel the contour of the ground.

In your apartment, paint the walls in two contrasting colors - such as cream and brown, with the darker color extending halfway up the wall. When the eye views this wall it provides feedback to provide balance. A thick "stripe" along the wall can accomplish the same thing.

In a home of an elderly patient I installed handrails from stained oak, similar to thosem on a stairway along her hallway. Simply sliding her hand along the rails provided her with a sense of being "level" without leaning on them for support.

If you feel you are going to fall, IMMEDIATELY drop everything in your hands, no matter how expensive, and protect yourself. Many injuries are caused by people who don't want to drop their precious laptop. Protect your face. Avoid falling on something sharp. Take special care in walking near places where a fall could be fatal - such as an elevated train platform. Use a bannister or handrail whenever possible.  In addition avoid carrying anything in your arms. Let your arms swing as you walk. There are receptor sites in the shoulder that provide feedback to being "level" when the arms swing slightly.

Visit an opthamologist (not an optometrist) and obtain an evaluation for depth perception. If they are reluctant to do so, tell them you are thinking of taking up flying. The depth perception test is required for the pilot's license.

If all else fails, consider wearing a protective bicycle helmet starpped on when you walk. This may look "silly", but it is far better than getting a concussion from a fall.

Finally, you should probably have both an MRI and an MRA - just to rule out structural abnormalities such as a growth within the brain.