Why do I get unexplained chills with no fever or infection?
I get these unexplained chills all the time, where im freezing cold with goose bumps all over my body. They hurt and I can barely walk they are so bad sometimes. I check my temp when I get these episodes and its perfectly normal. I do not have a infection or am not sick. Im not even in a cold environment. Everyone around me is not cold. Its the weirdest thing, and I cant find a answer for it. Its like my body is messed up and sending these chills for no reason. Please help.
I have begun experiencing chilling at night, it wakes me up and lasts at least a half hour. Blood pressure goes up-no surprise, because it's upsetting. I'm 75 years old and it's new to me. Reading other notes on this site I've seen the possibility of nerve damage caused by taking the antibiotic Cipro, which I did late last year. Also low-dose aspiring which I take every day because of atherosclerosis and a 35-year history of cardiovascular problems. I also get an drip infusion of Remicade for Psoriatic arthritis every six weeks.
I'll take it up with my medical people and see if anything turns up.
I also have episodes with chills, they suddenly come on and i am completely debilitated, have to go to bed, chattering, can't even get up to put a pair of socks on. the episodes have been going on for about 4 years and are really bad, last about 2-3 hours, when i feel better, by evening i fall into a deep sleep and wake up ok next day. i thought these episodes  could be panic attacks, but i have absolutely no anxious thoughts etc. I also have headache and nausea when these attacks strike. the only thing that i have been able to identify is possible chill eg getting out of bath/not drying hair and possible dehydration too. like everyone else here i would like some diagnosis as the episodes are really seriously debilitating and can strike anytime.
I am not sure how long this has been going on but I experience extreme chills every evening.  Last night it was so bad I grabbed a blanket, turned the heat up, put it on emergency heat, and laid over the vent for almost a couple of hours to attempt to get warm.  I have extremely painful joint and muscles aches.  I had a bad fall several years ago and have had pain since but this has grown in intensity.   The joint aches have got to the point of not being able to tolerate it.  The chills already started this evening...my laptop is helping me get some warmth right now  I am not sure what to do at this point. Quite a few tests have been done including checking for metapause or peri-metapause...thyroid...and others...all come up ok.  I feel everyones agony for sure.  And as the chills come on every evening, the aches are severe to the point I can barely walk.  Wish we could all get answers to tell us exactly what it is....until then we research and become our own personal doctors.  Luckily I have a doctor I can ask to do blood work if I need to get something else checked.  So I see a couple of things I need them to check for now.
I am grateful to all of you who have shared your experiences. The chills just started for me about a month ago. My chills mostly come in the night, and get worse with the lack of sleep, but the onset seems to happen within 30 minutes of me eating.  My tremors start at my waist and radiate down both legs.  Tonight was the first night I timed how long this went on and I had the chills for about 30 minutes; subsided and then went for another 30 min; subsided again, and continued for about 3 hours.I too have had my blood work done and all is well. I am in pretty good health and 46. I have controlled BP taking triamterene 37.5mg/HCTZ 25 mg daily.  I will be looking at my potassium closer. Nothing has changed in my life dramatically, or otherwise, over the past 5+ yrs.  This is all a mystery to me.  I too, will keep posting, should I find any answers. May God bless each of us as we walk this test.
what was the diagnosis ? Im having the same problem ,Ive been off work for a month now .
I went to the doctor after dealing with these uncontrolable , crippling chills only to find out its simple...everyone breath!!! The doctor says its low iron. People have these symptoms and unexplained symptoms due to the little things such as not having enough iron in our diets, lack of sleep and also just not feeding our bodies at all.try iron pills and see if the problem goes away...its not easy for a doctor to test due to the fact our iron level can rise and drop and unless u have a doctor as a spouse then good luck having the test ran during an episode....gl to all!
You have described what I have been experiencing for 25 long years.  Have you found a solution?
It seems like this blog has not been updated for a while, but I am so happy to have stumbled upon it.  3 years ago, I contract a UTI that would not go away.  Since I have been treated repeatedly with antibiotics and seem finally to have gotten that under control but since then have had a slew of other infections all that have been treated with antibiotics many of which now no longer work on me.  2 years ago, after the (then) most recent round of UTI; s I also developed allergies (first time) and then a severe sinus infection, during which I had my first round of bone chilling chills (w/o fever).  Since they have discovered that my Chronic UTIs may not have been UTI's and that my sinus infection may not have been that either, but they cannot figure out what I have. I am so frustrated!  So here are my symptoms (which seem to be common ones on this board).  I have bone chilling chills every afternoon around 3-6 (at times the only way I can eliminate them is to get in a scalding hot tub for 3-5 hours to warm up and stop shaking), I have severe sinus area headaches (comes and goes), I at times get pin prick like pain into my ears, I have back pain every day that is interfering with my life (lower and mid back).  I have hypothyroid and am under treatment for such.  My test results for thyroid all come back fine, my blood work is generally fine but I often have blood in my urine without having an infection.  I have not had a day without some or all of these symptoms now for 2 years.   I have been to my MD multiple times, have blood work drawn often, have a urologist and an ENT I am working with, have been through every test with my ObGYN possible.  Have had cat scans and ultrasounds...everything always comes back fine.  But I am not fine.  I think my MD's think I am loony tunes, but I am not.  Have a wonderful life, wonderful friends, low stress, work from home, I have changed my diet, added a full complement of acidophilus and other remedies but still I am not getting better.  HELP!  Is there anything new out there on this chills and aches syndrome.  If so, please post and let me know.  
Are you always at home when the onset happens? You may want to have your home tested for either a small carbon monoxide leak from stove or heater or walls or floors tested for mold or black spore. Seems like your body may be fighting being slowly poisoned, since you work from home I would imagine the symptoms are getting steadily worse. Before going to any great expense for tests on your home, try staying somewhere else for a few days and don't go near your house, see if your symptoms subside or even cease. If upon going back into your home they return, your home is the problem not you. At least then you will know where to focus your energies in solving issue. I hope you do this test on your exterior environment to figure out weather it is a contributing factor to your symptoms or not. It certainly can be. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Try taking a bath 3 times a week in Epsom salt for about 20 minutes before bed. It sweats out the toxins
If you take three ginger capsules with 16 oz of water at the first sign of chills it keeps them from getting too bad. Wait 30 minutes, if you need to, take three more and again every half hour until you warm up. I still don't know a cause, but now that I have insurance I am making a list of questions that I read in this thread. It is hard to diagnose thyroid with just a blood test, so I plan to ask for a thyroid scan and uptake that someone suggested. Wish me luck.
I have these same symptoms:  late afternoon chills with no fever.   Mine also seem to be accompanied by sinus symptoms.  I get sneezy and I have a smell in my nose (not a phantom smell --- and I've been checked by an ENT for infection, CAT, etc).   I get this about 3 times/week.  A hot bath will warm me up.  But typically I feel like this for several hours before it gets better.  I am on Klonopin and Ativan for anxiety and have been for years.  And I want to get off these nasty drugs as I suspect they may have something to do with these symptoms.  Anyone else also have a nasal smell and/or sneezes with the chills?  And do they seem to come on several hours after lunch?  
so what did u do to stop the symptoms.....please email me at ***@**** experience them every few days, also have severe arthritis in back and hip....I am 56 yrs old female & do not take hormones due to cancer risks
I get these from time to time over the past 25 years and at first I thought it was my body getting rid of toxins in my system, because I live a disciplined life concerning diet and exercise, but do occasionally enjoy myself off of my food plan. Then my son started getting seizures from low blood sugar and  Hypoglycemia. My son had many test and low blood sugar was the only common denominator.

I know I had Hypoglycemia over the past 30 years and had to regulate it with diet and exercise to stave off diabetes which runs in the family. When I get dehydrated or exhausted the Hypoglycemia has worse symptoms which I believe include the chills at night.
I'm so glad I found this blog too, I am a diabetic for years and I have had these chills for the past two of them, I keep wondering if it is a form of neuropathy, not the usual"pins and needles" complaint.  I have the chills almost constantly and when I take a hot shower they will disappear for about 45 minutes.  I'm going to try that potassium pill and see if it helps.  Pray for me and I'll do the same.  

Joan
Some great news for all of you:

I am a med student currently experiencing this condition and am working nonstop to unravel the nature of its painful existence.

Currently i have a few solid theories, and ive reduced some of the symptoms already. Before i give out any advice, i must follow up on all of my studies (this week) seeing specialists and colleagues whilst further experimenting on myself, then i will check back with all of you. There is nothing worse than a "medical proffesional" giving out dangerous misinformation, therefore, i must see to the validity of my work before i continue.

Believe me, there is hope here for all of us.
I just logged on this, as chill symptoms are beginning to happen frequently.  Either right before bed, of early afternoon .  There is not pain or fever during these times.  I do have MS, but I don't know what the relationship is.
I would love to  know what your research is finding.
Your post( unlike the others).  I would love to hear more from you!

I had the same symtoms. Tested for everything and found nothing. I would have to get out of bed turn heat up and stand in front of gas fireplace. I felt like this was my time if I could not warm up. I put on sweat suit and returned to bed. I noticed that when I lay in bed with torso elevated I headed back towards normal. I concluded it was acid reflux. The next time I took a couple good swigs of pepto and it worked. For me I think I nailed it as acid reflux. Changes in diet and other habits all but made it disappear except for Super Bowl sunday night. Took the pepto and slept elevated and woke up fine. Good luck, its a pain to be healthy a feel scared.
I just started having the same thing about needing to stretch, then having chills at night.  I have taken ibuprofen on occasions which have helped, but I refuse to take it every night.  I think stress is part of the problem.  I have a torn meniscus and the doctor wouldn't do surgery.  He said it would not fix the problem, because the tear was in the white part, which has no blood vessels.  It has caused great trauma to my whole body and this is when I started with the symptoms.
I sometimes go to bed and get the chills for about 2 hours.  Then I'm fine.  Then I get so hot.  I am a male age 65
did you have any luck with your diagnosis?  My father is on beta blockers which have just been raised in strength, he is also on 2 tablets for high bp.  He had what the doctor said was a urine infection and has given him antibiotics.  Today is the third day of his tablets and he has just had another chill.  He said his legs hurt and he feels weak and then they go and he sweats.  I am really worried about him.  I don't know if it's related but he has also lost the movement in his arms recently and cannot raise them on his own.  Hope someone can help.
Tigerbear333

I just left the following comment for someone else but I feel like it may be something you should look into in your father's case as well. You do or do not reside at the same house, I'm thinking not. Does anyone share living space with him? Do they get any similar symptoms? Does he spend most of his time in a particular room, is there a gas heater or vent blowing air into room? Is there a mildew-ish smell or odor in the bathroom, closet, attic, or basement?if you do live elsewhere, perhaps have him stay with you for a few days and see how he feels while at your house. If these symptoms fade or vanish, and return upon going back inside his home, then it will be time to start disecting and testing house, floors, walls, air quality, water quality, something that is poisoning the people that dwell in the house. The problem doent stem from inside the body, then it will never show up on any test, especially since the body is away from the poison while your at the doctors office. The body is telling you there is a problem, but it's around you not inside you or your father in your case. There is a frighteningly large number of homes in America with toxic black mold spores in them. They will make you very sick and often times can be fatal. Carbon monoxide poisoning still a very real silent odorless killer. Please check, test, and report back. Take care of yourselves and eachother. I hope you find some answers and relief.  God speed.

____________________________________

Please everyone who is experiencing these physically unexplainable symptoms (which happen to be symptoms of a body fighting against being poisoned) go outside your own body and check your living environment. Do symptoms onset when your in a specific place, be it a room in your home, your home in general, when the heater or gas fireplace is on, or use the stove, start taking environmental notes at time of onset. Find common thread. Take time away from the place you are when on sets occure, enough time 2 or 3 days min completely away, don't go back during that time, did your symptoms occure while you were removed from that location? When you went back, did the symptoms return? If so you now know your body is not the problem, it is reacting to the problem, strongly because it trying to save your life. It is definetly telling you there is a problem, that doesn't always mean the problem is stemming from inside you. Test your environment, please. This could save your life and it simple to isolate by noting where you are and what is on, what you just did when your symptoms set in. All the people here who have the sinus and chills and feel like their bodies are trying to flush something out but are otherwise healthy need to do environmental notes, and a physical removal from location where on sets occure most, if it's a room in the house, I don't mean don't go in that room for a few days, I mean get out and away from the house for a few days. This could very well lead you to your answer and solution. And I hope it does.

_____________________________________

Are you always at home when the onset happens? You may want to have your home tested for either a small carbon monoxide leak from stove or heater or walls or floors tested for mold or black spore. Seems like your body may be fighting being slowly poisoned, since you work from home I would imagine the symptoms are getting steadily worse. Before going to any great expense for tests on your home, try staying somewhere else for a few days and don't go near your house, see if your symptoms subside or even cease. If upon going back into your home they return, your home is the problem not you. At least then you will know where to focus your energies in solving issue. I hope you do this test on your exterior environment to figure out weather it is a contributing factor to your symptoms or not. It certainly can be. And in several of these cases id be willing to wager environment is tge problem not their bodies. The bodies are doing what they are supposed to do, alerting you of a problem, shaking volently, giving pain, telling you it is under attack, help it fight back and find out where thd attack is coming from-which is not from within. Keep us posted. Good luck. and
God speed
I just started having chills beginning in my face, hands, arms and feet. And the pain is excruciating at times. I have the chills mainly at night and is disruptive to my sleeping pattern. It often feels like severe frosty bite and it last a few hours.
My daughter who was very active started taking a statin drug ( Lipitor) and she progressively got to the point of looking and feeling like someone who had had a stroke. She went online to do research and found the statins do affect people in different way. She was walking with a cane and looked like someone who was 90 instead of 60. Her Dr agreed with her and she stopped taking them 3 months ago.  Is slowly getting better. I WAS taking a statin which I have stopped. Good luck to your father.  Lois
Have you had any results you care to share?
Do you have any medical mesh in you from hernia or bladder ?

The reason I ask is I had a mesh sling put in after hysterectomy and have continuing UTI and constant pain with chills when bad.
How fab to find this topic. Im actually seeing my pysc doc about this on tues,as I have suffered with these for years,its like being in the artic with no clothes on with someone holding ice over my body. Mine start from my head,hair rise then it goes straight through my body to my toes. About 20years ago I moved to a new home and I had a turn as soon as I was in there,Im a spiritual person and put it down to the house spirit that lived there,( lol ok blur me if you like but bare with me) these chills continued for years, eventually the kids left home and the house was empty,suddenly it started to be more often it occurred. I suffered badly with empty nest syndrome and made new plans for my next chapter of life. I bought a hull of a boat and started to build her with the intention of living on her so slowly my 3 bed house which was full of 20years of family life bits and bobs was emptying. 1 sofa 1 blow up bed 1 tv. The chills continued but because my house was empty I put the chills down to the house being empty and cold. I have been on the boat 1 year now and had 3 major attacks of these deep bone chills,the thing is ive been 3foot away from my log burner blazing away.My last one a few week ago my boyfriend was here and I suddenly felt it coming on ran to my bed wrapped myself up screamed at him to get my dressing gown,I couldnt move total agony and it scared my boyfriend. I have PTSD and have had major cont stress for about 20years, I also have bipolar recent diag. I have had a brain scan a few years ago and I have plenty of white matter on my brain,caused by extreme stress.Because I have been next to my log burner and its still happening,now I believe its my body trying to shut me down and repair in my sleep as I have noticed I sleep like a log with no disturbances in the night and the next day I feel bouncy as if Ive had a 2 week holiday in the Bahamas in one nights sleep. I will talk to my personal expert on tues and put my theory to him and see if he corrects me or agrees with me. Saying that I also think something in the mineral comment as I have been deficient in vit D in the past for years without knowing it. 1 year on new head meds and 2 cod liver oils a day and feeling much better,only 3 chills in a year. At the house the chills apeared sometimes 3/4 times a week. 2 chills last year happened when the elec man was doing my elecs and then when the plumber was doing all my plumbing ( mass of stress and mess) this recent chill , I was stressed to the mass because I realised something wrong on my boat,and found her hull was full of water due to the plumber breaking a pipe connector and still fitted it underneath my wash room floor and also cut the wires to the pump i had fitted so he could wire his waste pump up..... Then that weekend the chill blasted me ! I do believe its cause is stress. But very much open to other opinions.
You have heat stroke, it can happen to heat sensitive people during just average temperature days.  Stay indoors during warm weather.
Hi, I'm a 50 yr male, I have suffered from A lot of these symptoms , my 1st recall of bone retching chills when I was a teenager 14 maybe. I get the 3-4 times a year, it would be the slightest thing that triggers it , getting in my car and my pant rub against my hair on my legs and I break out in chills . Nothing seems to stop it , I take hot shower till no more heated water left , I get under the covers and just chatter and freeze afraid to move as it will worsen it ,finally I'll fall asleep and then wake up later soaked from sweat and then chills again and it repeats most of the night , I wake in the morning so exhausted . Durning these my joint will hurt like flu , I always thought it was the change of the seasons . Doctors have checked but nothing just blamed it on the flu and I should get a flu shot .... I get in the ball of my feet tingling, sharp pains. And numbness and my calls will cramp up so  bad I can't release them .. I noticed another post on this wall about patassium and drinking more filtered water , has anyone tried this ?
Check your environment, Corbin monoxide, mold, black spore, odd odor. What you were doing, what room, you were in at onset of symptoms. Start taking notes. Leave completely for a few days, how do you feel away from house? Better? What about upon coming back? Worse again? Your environment maybe attacking you and slowly poisoning you. Your body is trying to tell you it is under attack but from the outside in, not inside out. Look into this posibility if for no other reason than process of elimination. Everyone on this site looking for answers to unexplainable symptoms in an otherwise healthy body needs to start looking outside their bodies for the culprit. These are symptoms of a body the is being poisoned slowly. There is an astronomical amout out of homes with toxic issues in hem in America, be it carbon monoxide, mold, black spore, gas leak any number of contributing factors can make lethal over time results. I hope you all find the answers you need to improve your quality of life. Don't over look the environmental factors in contributing or being responsible for your symptoms. If you figure it to be your case and you fix it post your results, I would be thrilled to know I helped someone find some peace from this. God speed
Has anyone had chills along with muscle spasms or uncontrollable shaking???
I live in Arizona and as its super insanely hot out here I've had this problem as well a year ago and not until now I stopped to think about it.  I was extremely cold that not even two warm and cozy covers did me the favor and the weird thing is it only happened at night and during the day I was perfectly fine.  I want answers too!
Did u find the problem..Was it the toes? im sitting here shking like a leaf,my big toe is black n blue...
I have the exact same symptoms but cannot find the cause.  Alcohol consumption seems to aggravate it as well.
I have been using one of those holistic warming pads with lavender, as you said when I can get up. I bought a large one that covers front and back of my shoulders,so it covers most of the front of me in bed. it takes about an hour to heat my body back up.
I know this thread is somewhat old but I thought I would she'd some light on this situation. I have had these acute episodes of chills for many years. In my explanation I will be brief so you will need to follow upon your own with the key points in caps . Start HERE: HYPOTHALAMUS- is highly involved in pituitary gland function. When it receives a signal from the nervous system, the hypothalamus secretes substances (OXYTOCIN) known as neurohormones that start and stop the secretion of pituitary hormones.  It is misfiring due to sensory nerve signals received ( possibly from the VELLUS HAIR on the body) or on its own. Chills(rapid muscle movement) are the body's defense mechanism for a sudden change in internal or external  temps to generate heat. Typically  this is for brief  periods and may be accompanied with increased  reparations (breathing fast) and a"pin like" felling over the body. This feeling is the body shunting (redirecting)blood to the major organs (for protection) causing cold, bluish like extremities(fingertips, toes,etc.). Again, this is only an explanation of the process. Continue to seek medical attention if needed!!!!
Opaite withdrawal or your anaemic ( iron deficiency
Thank you! This site has been very helpful. My symptoms aren't as severe, but I just don't feel right. I will do further research and discuss with my doctor again.
i was in hospital with this for days and they had no idea what it is so they sent me home and im still getting.
I had almost the same symptoms as you guys had. Except it attack around 10 pm on wards. I started to nice this happened after I got UTI. I'm just 21 years old. Anyone here got a effective remedy for this? please help.
Has anyone found relief and/or a diagnosis?  I suffer from these chills as well and they are getting worse.  I become "frozen" and can't move during an episode.  They happen in the afternoon, for about 2 hours duration.  I have fibromyalgia, dystonia, osteoarthritis, IBS, chronic constipation, and on and on.  My thyroid has been checked out, bloodworm done, no apparent cause.  I see many common symptoms on this blog, but not much in way of treatment.  Any ideas?
I take atenolol. My chills prevent me from bathing-this is when they're at they're worst. Painful and debilitating almost. #luckily I'm not an odorous person
I have had this issue for years. Mine stems from brain surgery in 2001. They ended up wiping my pituitary gland out so I would not have another growth spurt. Having the gland tested could lead to diagnosis and cire
Me too!  Symptoms many others have described:  severe night chills, followed by sweats.  I first experienced this while living in Turkey in the early 90s.  At some point, the symptoms "jumped" across borders, and I had them in Europe as well as the USA.  I gradually discovered that if I kept my head warm, that would control the chills, and if the chills were not severe, then neither were the subsequent sweats.  Now, I keep a ski cap next to my bed at all times, and it helps a lot.  Most recent episode was last night; I've not had another for several months.  I consulted docs in Turkey and USA, but got no answers.
Thanks...This might be what I have. I am having blurred vision, dizziness, elevated blood pressure and heart rate along with sporadic feverish like chills with no fever. No one seems to be able to figure this one out
I'm not the only one suffering from this!
Same here, everything seems fine besides my multiple sclerosis diagnose. The doctors say it's not related to MS I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I've had the chills for over 10 years now, since I was in my twenties. They got a bit worse than at the beginning, but here is what I've learned about my body:
- it happens mostly in the evening, even on summer days when it's hot, my guess is it is linked to the level of fatigue
- it can happen very early in the morning when I drive in to work and I didn't get a lot of sleep
- the chills last until I find a way to warm up such as hot shower or extra clothes. They won't just go away, they get worse to a point where I can't move and I'm all achy.
-it's worse during in winter months
What I do:
- try to get a lot of sleep and exercise when I can, keep a healthy routine.
- I always carry with me extra layers of clothes, especially for my feet: socks and wear shoes that keep me warm.
This is helping avoid them if I feel I might get the chills. I'm also trying to avoid situations when I might get chills, such as ac or late evening patio get together. I do not care what others think of me, but I always have extra layers of clothing with me, the trunk of my car is a closet for winter weather clothes. Lately I've been doing a great job avoiding chills by keeping warm.

All the best.
Just reading more comments and want to add that I am a happy person I am not stressed, I love my job and I am grateful to be able to live a healthy life despite my MS diagnose. My guess is this is not stress related in my case. So far I'm thinking it is fatigue mostly. I occasionally drink a glass of wine or have a beer - 1 drink every other week - and I do not smoke.
If u suddenly got really cold an lying in bed with a water bottle it's because you are You are tired or stayed up all hours last night, get a good sleep an you'll wake up feeling normal, don't worry just get some sleep
      Thanks for sharing your comments. I would not wish this on anybodyelse but I'm glad I'm not alone. It's scarey and I feel for all of you. My body seems to be having issues regulating temperature swings. I'm very prone to heat stroke in hot weather and have to be careful to drink lots of water and add electrolytes. During one heat stroke, I drank and poured an entire case of water on me but it was two cans of Coke that got me going again. Night sweats can leave me soaking wet then leave me freezing on sweat soaked bedding.
       The chills are the worst; they come from my core and lock me up in pain if I try to move. Lots of blankets help but sleep is the only respite.
       After reading this I'm going on a mold hunt.
Hi everyone. I am 29 female and have been dealing with this for as long as I can remember. I am so happy I am not alone. When I describe how I feel people look at me like I am crazy, my family  too :(  I have great news to share that I hope reaches everyone. So I have seen some doctors this is what they have said.  It is most likely not neurological related if the chills happen on both sides of the body at the same time. Bad news is I forget why :( doctors say mostly due to stress. Also I just found this website that may help others too. I have extream painful chills right now at 3am. I get them when I wake up, out of the blue during the day and at night. I feel like I have to get under blankets or get sweat pants on, get in warm bath tub or some place warm or I am gonna go crazy :(

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20932713,00.html
I have an answer for several people on here. I've read through a few pages here and can confidently say that ALOT of people replying to this have a particular problem with a part of their immune system that some researchers and only a few doctors have discovered and studied the last few years. It was considered a rare thing but it is becoming more and more apparent that it is likely fairly common. It is called Mast Cell Activation Syndrome/ Mast Cell Activation Disorder. Theres a thousand different flavors of it, so i suggest reading from several different sources to get a good idea of what it is and what it can be like. For instance, some people can get migraines and chills, others brain fog and bad fatigue, some fibromylgia like symptoms with foot/calf/joint pain and uti like symptoms, ibs is quite common for many as is asthma, while others might get chills and restless legs, anxiety or rashes/flushing. That is not an exhaustive list of symptoms either. It just depends on what group(s) of mast cells in whatever part of the body is effected and the types of mediators they decide to release.

Different triggers can cause different symptoms in different people. Just about anything can potentially be a trigger, common ones are foods, environmental exposures to things like scented perfumes/soaps, v.o.c.'s, heat or sun exposure, even excercise for some. It can be difficult to make the correlations but truly amazing what proper avoidance can do for the symptoms once they are rooted out.

It appears that one can be genetically predisposed and common things that are being reported to kick it off are infections, acute or chronic (smoldering lyme infection is a very common and hard to find one, this was the case with myself and i had to go to a lyme specialist and have a few special tests done that all came back VERY positive after 3 tests using standard labs failed to produce a proper positive result. I wouldve never guessed had a doctor i saw not been vigilant about that being a possible cause), toxic environnments (think moldy house, chemical exposure from natural gas wells nearby, pesticide exposure, new house sick building syndrome, toxic water supply, etc), even the bacteria/microbes that live in your gut, and many report their problem arising very soon post-vaccination. I would like to point out that im not making an anti-vaccination argument at all, just reporting peoples accounts.

Treatment consists of avoiding triggers, which can include treating infections or detoxing, and various medications to stabilize the mast cells and combat the effects of the released mediators. The sooner it is caught and treated the better as it can get much worse if not propetly taken care of. Odds are high that your doctor has never heard of this and there are various online sources of guidelines to test for and treat this written by the specialists.
Would you mind sharing the name and city of the dr you saw? I know someone whos little boy is struggling with a mass cell issue.
Malibudave, when you say lyme specialist, are you referring to an infectious disease specialist, or "lyme literate" dr.?  I was recently diagnosed with lyme, never got the bullseye rash, believe I've had it for years, was treated with doxycycline for 3 weeks and 2 months later, I've relapsed. I was trying to figure out why I have freezing chills in my spine and came across your post. Any additional and specific information you could give to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!  
I was experience this chill twice...it elevates my blood pressure too to 140/90 but not feeling signs just the chilling effect and I tried to take paracetamol to subside my chills and after a few minutes chilling is gone and my bp went normal to 110/80...I'm really puzzled..
anyone with unexplained chills all the time and no infection present should go ask their doctor about Bone Marrow Diseases, there are many that cause that