Why do I get unexplained chills with no fever or infection?
I get these unexplained chills all the time, where im freezing cold with goose bumps all over my body. They hurt and I can barely walk they are so bad sometimes. I check my temp when I get these episodes and its perfectly normal. I do not have a infection or am not sick. Im not even in a cold environment. Everyone around me is not cold. Its the weirdest thing, and I cant find a answer for it. Its like my body is messed up and sending these chills for no reason. Please help.
Its frustrated to read about this problem. I started to look for answer about this problem because my husband has bad chills and it seems to happen only at night when he is in deep sleep. But what I studied is chills only happen when the body is trying to tell you that you have infection, you have to find it, you got to examine your body and think if there's anytime in your life you got hurt and it didn't cause any pain, the infection is inside anywhere of your body. I am on the way to prove I'm wright because I found my husband's problem, the infection is in his three toes, so I am waiting for the doctor to do toe surgery on my husband. I will get everyone update to see if I finally found the problem. Hang in there everybody make sure to think hard and examine your whole body. God Bless everyone....
I am not alone! First time i got these i was 17. I am now 46 and it seems to be getting worse. I am having these more oftrn, almost every night during the colder months. They hurt, i cant move,i scream, and the only thing that help is getting into a hot shower when i can get myself there! No doctor knows what it is, blood tests come back ok. What are we suppose to do? This is crippling...
I get these after being out in the sun all day and then it's cooler in the evening.  Also, if I am outside for an extended period of time, and touch (or sit in) something cold.  Once it starts, I need to immediately get to a warmer place, usually lasts at least an hour.  No correlation to being sick, just happens all of a sudden.
I have same problem as all of you. I have a condition called dysautomia. Its a problem with the autonomic system. My body doesn't regulate my temp or blood flow correctly. You need a GOOD neurologist.
Maybe this can help
I had my knee replaced 8weeks ago and about 5 weeks ago I started having chills for hours. I drink hot tea or hot chocolate lay under blankets with a heated mattress pad nothing helps the chills I cant take a bath yet because of the knee surgery. It my be my body still healing the knee.I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I am so miserable. Md took blood tonight to check thyroid.
Hi this is unbelievable but seems more and more people are suffering with this and i am now one of them. It's almost like the nervous system is giving up...but in a physical way. I started suspecting t.b. shot for work, two shots of HALDOL (nasty stuff) that I received as part of a weird paranormal experience (they thought I was going crazy), followed by a spinal tap to rule out meningitis, followed by a Benadryl shot for a life-threatening allergic reaction to the Haldol...oh and all this within a short time, preceded by super stress. I have been following the chronic fatigue theory and this crap is worse than a real disease because I believe it is just caused by toxin/stress overload
I also have this non stop 24/7 however you might want to see if any of you have taken the antibiotic cipro or levaquin with or without predsione. It causes cns and autonomic nervous system damage. I can barely move anymore, severe pain everywhere.. started as shoulder tendon, then spine, stomch issues.. can be a nightmare. pins and needles all over.. The pain is tremedous.. Alot of people have a delayed reaction, if it is not too severe this will get better but if you are like me it may stay. I have to walk with a hot water bottle inside my shirt to stop the shivering..
If you suspect you have these issues go to Levaquin wall of pain on facebook and read the stories... I hope NON of you are suffering this.. but it will not show up in blood work or anywhere...
Have you ever had to take Boniva? It is once a month pill and the dr. said i have osteopenia so it isn't as severe as arthritis. I took the boniva and every 6 days i get sore bones and chills and i was wondering if anyone has ever had this same reaction.
Visit a neurologist!
I had a sinus infection that seemed to linger for months, but doctors told me that I didn't have infection. They recommended neurologist, but I didn't see the point, right. But I didn't have any other option left so I went. Turns out a nerve problem was causing it, and I can suppress the nerve with just a small amount of medication. Then the nerve should heal on it's own.
I get these chills all the time, have been like this ever since I was little, so for about 27 years.
Sometimes taking IB Profin makes it go away.
I have the same issues-always comes on at night too. Do you or anyone out there get a uncontollable urge to stretch right before the shivering starts?
What pain medication did your doctor give you for the Fibro?
Hi ... Have read all the mails on this thread & found the symptoms very similar. It is quite frustrating since all the CBC shows negative of any infection. My symptoms as follows :-
1. As evening approaches 7:30pm onwards it doesn't matter even if the enviroment is warm I start feeling the chills & flu like fever sysmptoms.
2. Joints pain like a severe flu symptom & if I check my temperature it is around 100-101 deg.
3. This follows night of chills and sweating, even if I cover with 2 comforters.
4. By morning all the symptoms vanish as if it never existed.
5. The chill and joint pains symptoms start around at 7:30pm and grow in intensity from 10pm to 12midnight till I fall asleep.
6. By the way I also suffer from Rheumatic Arthritis so the Joint pain is extreme when the flu like symptoms persists with the chills ... i was wondering if there is any connection between the two.

Have you had any luck as to know why you were getting those symptoms? Have you managed to get yourself cured of it?
I cant believe I've found this forum! I've been have these symptoms for years now, maybe 3-4 a year. Happen out of nowhere, usually at night either before bed or they wake me during the night. Cold to the bone, uncontrollable shivering, tensing of my body, due to shivering so bad. Nothing helps! Lasts an hour or so then I gradually get warm again and am left feeling completely drained the next day. Was thinking it could possibly be my BP dropping really low, but I don't know. Have decided that during my next attack I'm going to go to the ER to be checked while having one. Had a particularly bad attack last night.
Anyone had any answers from their doctors??
Greetings,  I know you posted a comment about a year ago.  I too am having these unexplained symptoms.  I guess I have had them before and never paid it much attention thinking it was the airconditioner.  But lateley it has become obvious that there's something to this.  Last month I had an episode where I had gone to be and early the next morning between 1 and 3 woke up freezing cold, shaking cold to the bone.  I piled on more covers that didn't work I got up and put sweats and socks on.  Wrapped up in blankets in a mink blanket only to wake up agin sweating like a pig.  I was exhausted.  Well, last night the same thing happended.  I also before the freezing cold issue.  I awake about midnight choking my lungs were full of mucus and I couldn't breathe.  Have you been diagnosed of have a clue what this is? I have a Dr. appt on July 15 and I want to have done some research before my new Dr. diagnose me.  Thanks for you comments I don't feel so along anymore.
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth. Chills accompanied by cold sweats are your bodies way of getting rid of toxins, bacteria etc. You don't have to get a fever but whatever your body is trying to get rid of, it wants to get rid of it asap. Also, sometimes hormones play a huge part (menopause etc).

Cheers and all the best.

P.S. I too used to get these chills, so I know how mich of a nuisance they are. They hurt too sometimes!
It's interesting that you say this because I have this feeling like I need to flush something out.  I feel gross and achy and like I need to shed or get rid of something.  Maybe I should try to exercise and sweat it out and drink a lot of water to try to flush whatever wants out to get out.  I also get this the worst right before my period but is not limited to just those days of the month.
I have the same symptoms....I believe it's menopause.  I have friends who have same things:  cold freezing chills, and then hot flashes that turn their face and neck red.  My hot flashes are less red-skin and more smothering/ claustrophobia and hot..need a fan.  And the transition between one and the other is split second.  Have you found out anything about your situation yet?
No I haven't found any answers. I don't think mine are menopausal. I've been getting them on and off for years, since early 30's. I seem to get them worse when I'm really tired and they only happen late evening/nighttime. Sometimes I can get 3 in a week, other times I can go 4-5 months without one. My BP drops low during these 'attacks'.
Did you have other symptoms other than chills / cold when you received your diagnosis of Dysautonomia?  I have been told by one dr. that I have POTS yet "passed" the tilt table test.   Looking for a 2nd opinion.  
I have these same symptoms! I just was researching it to see what is wrong with me. I had one last night before bed and then did not sleep well all night even after the coldness passed. I got the headache you talked about too. I have been getting them at night now for about a year or more. I do wake up though and I am freezing and can't get warm. This was the first time I got the headache along with it.I am on a beta blocker med for SVT for my heart. It will race at times so they put me on that to lower my bp. I don't know what is wrong with me as I've gone for physicals and they have never said anything was wrong. I have mentioned it to my Dr once and she said maybe from a hot flash but I said I don't wake up sweaty. Just thought I'd share that. And last night I never felt hot right before getting so cold.
I have had the chills for about 25 years.  The first occurred while walking in Chicago in winter.  I was in college - age 22.  It was like a trigger went off in my body, and a cold that I had never experienced before.  It took many hours before I stopped shaking.  During the next 10 years I had the chills only at night.  I would awaken from sleep freezing with them.  I saw doctors, but they only wanted to give me lexapro and zanax.  After the 10 years, they started happening at any time, but always when I am feeling cold.  They do get worse when I am nervous or had lack of sleep.  I went to Mayo Clinic and had a full check up, but all the doctor said was that I have "unexplained spells" and gave me zanax to use when they occur.  When they do happen, they do not go away for 8 -10 hours.  It has made me very afraid of getting cold.  I have currently found no answers.  
Now, at age 48,  I am really trying hard to figure this out because I feel like if I have these chills when I am very old, they will kill me.   I am seeing a world renowned neurologist and a Chinese medicine doctor.  The neurologist is trying, but cannot find anything yet to help me.   The Chinese doctor says I have "deep cold in my body"  and I take acupuncture, herbs and moxibustion to try to restore my body to a warmer state.  That seems to help a little so far.  But still no great answers.  I thought I was alone in this because I have never met anyone with this problem.  I am glad to know that I am not crazy, and other experience this.   I have no other health problems and am very mentally stable.  When this happens, though, some people think I am crazy and having a panic attack.   But all my doctors say this is not so.  They say it is physiological, not psychological, but they cannot do anything to help me.
You and I have the SAME issues...  The chills feel like they are inside my body, and can travel.  They can be in my back then go to my legs and feet, even in my head.  During these "spells" I feel almost like I can't move, exhausted, just being in a stupor until they pass.  I think it may be related to toxins in my body.  i also have gluten intolerance and digestion issues.  They get worse if I don't drink enough lemon water daily.  It is hard to go through or explain to someone who has never had it!  You do feel scared or worried because you don't know what it is. These toxins can be related to food intolerance or chemical overload, etc...That is my opinion. I do see a chiropractor that uses Applied Kinesiology.  You might want to try that!  It helps identify the CAUSE.  Then treatment can follow.   I have an appt. on 11-20-13.  i will let you know what I find out.  take care!  Lisa in MN
Most threads that I read you have had all your medical tests and those with ailments are being treated. Yet the chills still persist. These are some considerations that you can try:

1. Drink lots of water on a regular basis (preferably filtered or bottled water).

2. Consider your electrolytes and trace minerals that are being diluted.

3. Take Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) supplements. Research CoQ10

4. Acidophilus supplements – take periodically for a few weeks or months.

5. By far the most important – striking a balance in your body of Sodium, potassium and calcium.  

You might be eating the right foods or taking the correct supplements, but your body is not absorbing these in the correct balance that your body needs. You would need to experiment which one is making you out of ‘balance’. Try taking an extra potassium tablet. Give it some time for your body to absorb it. Drink lots and lots of water (preferably filtered or bottled water, with or without added electrolytes). If not, then try calcium, and then sodium. Again you might be taking these, but your body is not absorbing these, and also not in the quantities your body needs to be in balance. In addition, if you are sweating profusely or foot cramps, this will also help these.

Let us know if you try the balancing in your body of sodium, potassium and calcium and if and how it worked, for the chills, sweating and foot cramps.
I recently had, last night had to go to the er with the same issues as u all. I dint ynderstand wht we are havung these symotoms and the doctors cant tell why? Some mention excersice so im giung to do just that and eat well and see if it changes. I pray that all if us will know whats happening to our bodies and get treated
Extract:
http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/symptoms-of-low-potassium-6174.html

Potassium is an electrolyte with symbol K and a mineral having 19 protons and 19 electrons.

It aids in maintaining water balance of the body.

Potassium is an important nutrient that is required for the proper functioning of nerve impulses, prevention of excess fluid retention, metabolism of carbohydrate and protein, functioning of the nervous and muscular system.

Low potassium in the body can lead to a potentially fatal state for the body, called ‘hypokalemia’. In order to correct the low potassium level in our body, it is very necessary to recognize the symptoms that are associated with it. Go through the following lines, to explore the symptoms of low potassium in detail.

Some:
Signs Of Low Potassium Levels In Body
• Weakness and tiredness
• Constipation
• Tingling or numbness
• Fatigue
• Chills
• Salt retention
• Low blood pressure
• Irregular heartbeat
• Muscle Fatigue, cramps and weakness, sometimes severe enough to cause inability to move arms and legs (similar to paralysis)
• High cholesterol levels
• Insatiable thirst or passing large amounts of urine
• Palpitation
• Abnormal drying of skin
• Abdominal cramping or bloating

Treatment Of Low Potassium Levels

I have been getting these for years now, except now they are worse than ever. Temperature change from warm to cold usually is the trigger. I get a 2 second warning, then all hell breaks loose!!! I literally am under attack by what I refer to as a "cold spell"...AKA "the Devil". I feel like I'm freezing from the inside out and the gripping feeling is usually located in my core. It is so intense that i physically can't move during an attack or it will get worse. I usually (if I'm lucky enough to be home when it happens) have my daughter grab the space heater and coats and blankets for me, It is relentless...It calms for a few minutes and if I move a muscle, it grabs a hold again, and again and again lasting as long as 8 hours and sometimes as short as 15 minutes.( but always by the end, I'm a sweaty mess and I feel like I've been run over by a truck). I have been keeping track of them for over a year, to see if there may be a pattern...The only thing I've learned is if a small one gets me, I'll get another one again and again until the big one gets me,( this is why I refer to it as evil/the devil... then it's usually a couple of months till the next one. But in the mean time I'm constantly afraid of getting one. I'm scarred and don't have any insurance , but soon will...But according to everyone on this sight, even the best doctors can't find the correct diagnosis. I'm a bit over weight but my blood work is good...Other than that, I';m healthy...HELP ME, Someone!!!  I've even written to DR. Phil...To no avail sadly.
hey people,
my dad has same problem,
drink a glass of milk with a spoon of sugar and pinch of PEPPER...it really helps when you get sudden chill/shivering.
maybe its  electrolite imbalance. Buy electrolite  or  rehidration salts in a drugstore  or ask for it behind the counter. This may be causing the chills as its probably shortaage of either sodium or potassium. Try licking  some good quality celtic or Hymalayan salt  to see if that helps. Theses salts come in a single package dose  .If that helps make your own salts by following a formula on internet. Its less costly. Measure your blood sugara which will tell you if yo are low . Low blood sugar will give chills . I have type one diabetes and if im low I get terrible chills sometimes not always so do your own blood test at home . Its good to test it anyways to be sure its not hormone related .. Learn to do Breath of fire . Its a yogic  breath thata warms up the body and moves all abdominal organs and diaphram. Not when when struating though
i think you may be right with regards to toxins, im beginning to think this may be related to gas, sounds daft but im going to get my fire checked out, its like im being poisoned, only had it fitted recently and i get these shivers at night more so in the cold when the fire is on, i only say this because my mum years ago had a gas leek and she has all the symptons of what you guys are saying, headaches, shivers that start in her legs, freezing cold etc etc .anna
I have been having these chill symptoms for about eight months now. I'm always freezing, and get the chills up my body, sometimes only in certain parts of my body like one leg at a time. I have seen three doctors and have had several blood tests done. They all tell me that it is stress related. The symptoms that prolonged stress may give you, in return, create anxiety, and sometimes panic attacks. If you search on the web "stress and chills" or "stress and being cold" you will find a lot of the same answer. This has helped me to not freak out when it happens, but I still get it. In addition to seeing a chiropractor, I have just started seeing a psychologist who says the same thing.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/cold-sensations-chilliness
I have begun experiencing chilling at night, it wakes me up and lasts at least a half hour. Blood pressure goes up-no surprise, because it's upsetting. I'm 75 years old and it's new to me. Reading other notes on this site I've seen the possibility of nerve damage caused by taking the antibiotic Cipro, which I did late last year. Also low-dose aspiring which I take every day because of atherosclerosis and a 35-year history of cardiovascular problems. I also get an drip infusion of Remicade for Psoriatic arthritis every six weeks.
I'll take it up with my medical people and see if anything turns up.
I also have episodes with chills, they suddenly come on and i am completely debilitated, have to go to bed, chattering, can't even get up to put a pair of socks on. the episodes have been going on for about 4 years and are really bad, last about 2-3 hours, when i feel better, by evening i fall into a deep sleep and wake up ok next day. i thought these episodes  could be panic attacks, but i have absolutely no anxious thoughts etc. I also have headache and nausea when these attacks strike. the only thing that i have been able to identify is possible chill eg getting out of bath/not drying hair and possible dehydration too. like everyone else here i would like some diagnosis as the episodes are really seriously debilitating and can strike anytime.
I am not sure how long this has been going on but I experience extreme chills every evening.  Last night it was so bad I grabbed a blanket, turned the heat up, put it on emergency heat, and laid over the vent for almost a couple of hours to attempt to get warm.  I have extremely painful joint and muscles aches.  I had a bad fall several years ago and have had pain since but this has grown in intensity.   The joint aches have got to the point of not being able to tolerate it.  The chills already started this evening...my laptop is helping me get some warmth right now  I am not sure what to do at this point. Quite a few tests have been done including checking for metapause or peri-metapause...thyroid...and others...all come up ok.  I feel everyones agony for sure.  And as the chills come on every evening, the aches are severe to the point I can barely walk.  Wish we could all get answers to tell us exactly what it is....until then we research and become our own personal doctors.  Luckily I have a doctor I can ask to do blood work if I need to get something else checked.  So I see a couple of things I need them to check for now.
I am grateful to all of you who have shared your experiences. The chills just started for me about a month ago. My chills mostly come in the night, and get worse with the lack of sleep, but the onset seems to happen within 30 minutes of me eating.  My tremors start at my waist and radiate down both legs.  Tonight was the first night I timed how long this went on and I had the chills for about 30 minutes; subsided and then went for another 30 min; subsided again, and continued for about 3 hours.I too have had my blood work done and all is well. I am in pretty good health and 46. I have controlled BP taking triamterene 37.5mg/HCTZ 25 mg daily.  I will be looking at my potassium closer. Nothing has changed in my life dramatically, or otherwise, over the past 5+ yrs.  This is all a mystery to me.  I too, will keep posting, should I find any answers. May God bless each of us as we walk this test.
what was the diagnosis ? Im having the same problem ,Ive been off work for a month now .
I went to the doctor after dealing with these uncontrolable , crippling chills only to find out its simple...everyone breath!!! The doctor says its low iron. People have these symptoms and unexplained symptoms due to the little things such as not having enough iron in our diets, lack of sleep and also just not feeding our bodies at all.try iron pills and see if the problem goes away...its not easy for a doctor to test due to the fact our iron level can rise and drop and unless u have a doctor as a spouse then good luck having the test ran during an episode....gl to all!
You have described what I have been experiencing for 25 long years.  Have you found a solution?
It seems like this blog has not been updated for a while, but I am so happy to have stumbled upon it.  3 years ago, I contract a UTI that would not go away.  Since I have been treated repeatedly with antibiotics and seem finally to have gotten that under control but since then have had a slew of other infections all that have been treated with antibiotics many of which now no longer work on me.  2 years ago, after the (then) most recent round of UTI; s I also developed allergies (first time) and then a severe sinus infection, during which I had my first round of bone chilling chills (w/o fever).  Since they have discovered that my Chronic UTIs may not have been UTI's and that my sinus infection may not have been that either, but they cannot figure out what I have. I am so frustrated!  So here are my symptoms (which seem to be common ones on this board).  I have bone chilling chills every afternoon around 3-6 (at times the only way I can eliminate them is to get in a scalding hot tub for 3-5 hours to warm up and stop shaking), I have severe sinus area headaches (comes and goes), I at times get pin prick like pain into my ears, I have back pain every day that is interfering with my life (lower and mid back).  I have hypothyroid and am under treatment for such.  My test results for thyroid all come back fine, my blood work is generally fine but I often have blood in my urine without having an infection.  I have not had a day without some or all of these symptoms now for 2 years.   I have been to my MD multiple times, have blood work drawn often, have a urologist and an ENT I am working with, have been through every test with my ObGYN possible.  Have had cat scans and ultrasounds...everything always comes back fine.  But I am not fine.  I think my MD's think I am loony tunes, but I am not.  Have a wonderful life, wonderful friends, low stress, work from home, I have changed my diet, added a full complement of acidophilus and other remedies but still I am not getting better.  HELP!  Is there anything new out there on this chills and aches syndrome.  If so, please post and let me know.  
Try taking a bath 3 times a week in Epsom salt for about 20 minutes before bed. It sweats out the toxins
If you take three ginger capsules with 16 oz of water at the first sign of chills it keeps them from getting too bad. Wait 30 minutes, if you need to, take three more and again every half hour until you warm up. I still don't know a cause, but now that I have insurance I am making a list of questions that I read in this thread. It is hard to diagnose thyroid with just a blood test, so I plan to ask for a thyroid scan and uptake that someone suggested. Wish me luck.
I have these same symptoms:  late afternoon chills with no fever.   Mine also seem to be accompanied by sinus symptoms.  I get sneezy and I have a smell in my nose (not a phantom smell --- and I've been checked by an ENT for infection, CAT, etc).   I get this about 3 times/week.  A hot bath will warm me up.  But typically I feel like this for several hours before it gets better.  I am on Klonopin and Ativan for anxiety and have been for years.  And I want to get off these nasty drugs as I suspect they may have something to do with these symptoms.  Anyone else also have a nasal smell and/or sneezes with the chills?  And do they seem to come on several hours after lunch?  
so what did u do to stop the symptoms.....please email me at ***@**** experience them every few days, also have severe arthritis in back and hip....I am 56 yrs old female & do not take hormones due to cancer risks
I get these from time to time over the past 25 years and at first I thought it was my body getting rid of toxins in my system, because I live a disciplined life concerning diet and exercise, but do occasionally enjoy myself off of my food plan. Then my son started getting seizures from low blood sugar and  Hypoglycemia. My son had many test and low blood sugar was the only common denominator.

I know I had Hypoglycemia over the past 30 years and had to regulate it with diet and exercise to stave off diabetes which runs in the family. When I get dehydrated or exhausted the Hypoglycemia has worse symptoms which I believe include the chills at night.
I'm so glad I found this blog too, I am a diabetic for years and I have had these chills for the past two of them, I keep wondering if it is a form of neuropathy, not the usual"pins and needles" complaint.  I have the chills almost constantly and when I take a hot shower they will disappear for about 45 minutes.  I'm going to try that potassium pill and see if it helps.  Pray for me and I'll do the same.  

Joan
Some great news for all of you:

I am a med student currently experiencing this condition and am working nonstop to unravel the nature of its painful existence.

Currently i have a few solid theories, and ive reduced some of the symptoms already. Before i give out any advice, i must follow up on all of my studies (this week) seeing specialists and colleagues whilst further experimenting on myself, then i will check back with all of you. There is nothing worse than a "medical proffesional" giving out dangerous misinformation, therefore, i must see to the validity of my work before i continue.

Believe me, there is hope here for all of us.
I just logged on this, as chill symptoms are beginning to happen frequently.  Either right before bed, of early afternoon .  There is not pain or fever during these times.  I do have MS, but I don't know what the relationship is.
I would love to  know what your research is finding.
Your post( unlike the others).  I would love to hear more from you!

I had the same symtoms. Tested for everything and found nothing. I would have to get out of bed turn heat up and stand in front of gas fireplace. I felt like this was my time if I could not warm up. I put on sweat suit and returned to bed. I noticed that when I lay in bed with torso elevated I headed back towards normal. I concluded it was acid reflux. The next time I took a couple good swigs of pepto and it worked. For me I think I nailed it as acid reflux. Changes in diet and other habits all but made it disappear except for Super Bowl sunday night. Took the pepto and slept elevated and woke up fine. Good luck, its a pain to be healthy a feel scared.
I just started having the same thing about needing to stretch, then having chills at night.  I have taken ibuprofen on occasions which have helped, but I refuse to take it every night.  I think stress is part of the problem.  I have a torn meniscus and the doctor wouldn't do surgery.  He said it would not fix the problem, because the tear was in the white part, which has no blood vessels.  It has caused great trauma to my whole body and this is when I started with the symptoms.
I sometimes go to bed and get the chills for about 2 hours.  Then I'm fine.  Then I get so hot.  I am a male age 65
did you have any luck with your diagnosis?  My father is on beta blockers which have just been raised in strength, he is also on 2 tablets for high bp.  He had what the doctor said was a urine infection and has given him antibiotics.  Today is the third day of his tablets and he has just had another chill.  He said his legs hurt and he feels weak and then they go and he sweats.  I am really worried about him.  I don't know if it's related but he has also lost the movement in his arms recently and cannot raise them on his own.  Hope someone can help.
I just started having chills beginning in my face, hands, arms and feet. And the pain is excruciating at times. I have the chills mainly at night and is disruptive to my sleeping pattern. It often feels like severe frosty bite and it last a few hours.
My daughter who was very active started taking a statin drug ( Lipitor) and she progressively got to the point of looking and feeling like someone who had had a stroke. She went online to do research and found the statins do affect people in different way. She was walking with a cane and looked like someone who was 90 instead of 60. Her Dr agreed with her and she stopped taking them 3 months ago.  Is slowly getting better. I WAS taking a statin which I have stopped. Good luck to your father.  Lois
Have you had any results you care to share?
Do you have any medical mesh in you from hernia or bladder ?

The reason I ask is I had a mesh sling put in after hysterectomy and have continuing UTI and constant pain with chills when bad.
How fab to find this topic. Im actually seeing my pysc doc about this on tues,as I have suffered with these for years,its like being in the artic with no clothes on with someone holding ice over my body. Mine start from my head,hair rise then it goes straight through my body to my toes. About 20years ago I moved to a new home and I had a turn as soon as I was in there,Im a spiritual person and put it down to the house spirit that lived there,( lol ok blur me if you like but bare with me) these chills continued for years, eventually the kids left home and the house was empty,suddenly it started to be more often it occurred. I suffered badly with empty nest syndrome and made new plans for my next chapter of life. I bought a hull of a boat and started to build her with the intention of living on her so slowly my 3 bed house which was full of 20years of family life bits and bobs was emptying. 1 sofa 1 blow up bed 1 tv. The chills continued but because my house was empty I put the chills down to the house being empty and cold. I have been on the boat 1 year now and had 3 major attacks of these deep bone chills,the thing is ive been 3foot away from my log burner blazing away.My last one a few week ago my boyfriend was here and I suddenly felt it coming on ran to my bed wrapped myself up screamed at him to get my dressing gown,I couldnt move total agony and it scared my boyfriend. I have PTSD and have had major cont stress for about 20years, I also have bipolar recent diag. I have had a brain scan a few years ago and I have plenty of white matter on my brain,caused by extreme stress.Because I have been next to my log burner and its still happening,now I believe its my body trying to shut me down and repair in my sleep as I have noticed I sleep like a log with no disturbances in the night and the next day I feel bouncy as if Ive had a 2 week holiday in the Bahamas in one nights sleep. I will talk to my personal expert on tues and put my theory to him and see if he corrects me or agrees with me. Saying that I also think something in the mineral comment as I have been deficient in vit D in the past for years without knowing it. 1 year on new head meds and 2 cod liver oils a day and feeling much better,only 3 chills in a year. At the house the chills apeared sometimes 3/4 times a week. 2 chills last year happened when the elec man was doing my elecs and then when the plumber was doing all my plumbing ( mass of stress and mess) this recent chill , I was stressed to the mass because I realised something wrong on my boat,and found her hull was full of water due to the plumber breaking a pipe connector and still fitted it underneath my wash room floor and also cut the wires to the pump i had fitted so he could wire his waste pump up..... Then that weekend the chill blasted me ! I do believe its cause is stress. But very much open to other opinions.
You have heat stroke, it can happen to heat sensitive people during just average temperature days.  Stay indoors during warm weather.
Hi, I'm a 50 yr male, I have suffered from A lot of these symptoms , my 1st recall of bone retching chills when I was a teenager 14 maybe. I get the 3-4 times a year, it would be the slightest thing that triggers it , getting in my car and my pant rub against my hair on my legs and I break out in chills . Nothing seems to stop it , I take hot shower till no more heated water left , I get under the covers and just chatter and freeze afraid to move as it will worsen it ,finally I'll fall asleep and then wake up later soaked from sweat and then chills again and it repeats most of the night , I wake in the morning so exhausted . Durning these my joint will hurt like flu , I always thought it was the change of the seasons . Doctors have checked but nothing just blamed it on the flu and I should get a flu shot .... I get in the ball of my feet tingling, sharp pains. And numbness and my calls will cramp up so  bad I can't release them .. I noticed another post on this wall about patassium and drinking more filtered water , has anyone tried this ?
Has anyone had chills along with muscle spasms or uncontrollable shaking???
I live in Arizona and as its super insanely hot out here I've had this problem as well a year ago and not until now I stopped to think about it.  I was extremely cold that not even two warm and cozy covers did me the favor and the weird thing is it only happened at night and during the day I was perfectly fine.  I want answers too!
Did u find the problem..Was it the toes? im sitting here shking like a leaf,my big toe is black n blue...
I have the exact same symptoms but cannot find the cause.  Alcohol consumption seems to aggravate it as well.
I have been using one of those holistic warming pads with lavender, as you said when I can get up. I bought a large one that covers front and back of my shoulders,so it covers most of the front of me in bed. it takes about an hour to heat my body back up.
I know this thread is somewhat old but I thought I would she'd some light on this situation. I have had these acute episodes of chills for many years. In my explanation I will be brief so you will need to follow upon your own with the key points in caps . Start HERE: HYPOTHALAMUS- is highly involved in pituitary gland function. When it receives a signal from the nervous system, the hypothalamus secretes substances (OXYTOCIN) known as neurohormones that start and stop the secretion of pituitary hormones.  It is misfiring due to sensory nerve signals received ( possibly from the VELLUS HAIR on the body) or on its own. Chills(rapid muscle movement) are the body's defense mechanism for a sudden change in internal or external  temps to generate heat. Typically  this is for brief  periods and may be accompanied with increased  reparations (breathing fast) and a"pin like" felling over the body. This feeling is the body shunting (redirecting)blood to the major organs (for protection) causing cold, bluish like extremities(fingertips, toes,etc.). Again, this is only an explanation of the process. Continue to seek medical attention if needed!!!!
Opaite withdrawal or your anaemic ( iron deficiency
Thank you! This site has been very helpful. My symptoms aren't as severe, but I just don't feel right. I will do further research and discuss with my doctor again.
i was in hospital with this for days and they had no idea what it is so they sent me home and im still getting.
I had almost the same symptoms as you guys had. Except it attack around 10 pm on wards. I started to nice this happened after I got UTI. I'm just 21 years old. Anyone here got a effective remedy for this? please help.
Has anyone found relief and/or a diagnosis?  I suffer from these chills as well and they are getting worse.  I become "frozen" and can't move during an episode.  They happen in the afternoon, for about 2 hours duration.  I have fibromyalgia, dystonia, osteoarthritis, IBS, chronic constipation, and on and on.  My thyroid has been checked out, bloodworm done, no apparent cause.  I see many common symptoms on this blog, but not much in way of treatment.  Any ideas?
I take atenolol. My chills prevent me from bathing-this is when they're at they're worst. Painful and debilitating almost. #luckily I'm not an odorous person
I have had this issue for years. Mine stems from brain surgery in 2001. They ended up wiping my pituitary gland out so I would not have another growth spurt. Having the gland tested could lead to diagnosis and cire
Me too!  Symptoms many others have described:  severe night chills, followed by sweats.  I first experienced this while living in Turkey in the early 90s.  At some point, the symptoms "jumped" across borders, and I had them in Europe as well as the USA.  I gradually discovered that if I kept my head warm, that would control the chills, and if the chills were not severe, then neither were the subsequent sweats.  Now, I keep a ski cap next to my bed at all times, and it helps a lot.  Most recent episode was last night; I've not had another for several months.  I consulted docs in Turkey and USA, but got no answers.
Thanks...This might be what I have. I am having blurred vision, dizziness, elevated blood pressure and heart rate along with sporadic feverish like chills with no fever. No one seems to be able to figure this one out
I'm not the only one suffering from this!
Same here, everything seems fine besides my multiple sclerosis diagnose. The doctors say it's not related to MS I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I've had the chills for over 10 years now, since I was in my twenties. They got a bit worse than at the beginning, but here is what I've learned about my body:
- it happens mostly in the evening, even on summer days when it's hot, my guess is it is linked to the level of fatigue
- it can happen very early in the morning when I drive in to work and I didn't get a lot of sleep
- the chills last until I find a way to warm up such as hot shower or extra clothes. They won't just go away, they get worse to a point where I can't move and I'm all achy.
-it's worse during in winter months
What I do:
- try to get a lot of sleep and exercise when I can, keep a healthy routine.
- I always carry with me extra layers of clothes, especially for my feet: socks and wear shoes that keep me warm.
This is helping avoid them if I feel I might get the chills. I'm also trying to avoid situations when I might get chills, such as ac or late evening patio get together. I do not care what others think of me, but I always have extra layers of clothing with me, the trunk of my car is a closet for winter weather clothes. Lately I've been doing a great job avoiding chills by keeping warm.

All the best.
Just reading more comments and want to add that I am a happy person I am not stressed, I love my job and I am grateful to be able to live a healthy life despite my MS diagnose. My guess is this is not stress related in my case. So far I'm thinking it is fatigue mostly. I occasionally drink a glass of wine or have a beer - 1 drink every other week - and I do not smoke.