Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Why do I get unexplained chills with no fever or infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 201-241 comments:
Like u say your completely healthy, it could be as simple as getting blood drawn to check for hormonnial imbalance. Don't let everyone spook you out.take care god bless.
I had the chils last week just before I was getting ready for bed.  I felt like lightening bolts of chills travelled up and down my body and then the tremors started and the shaking and teeth chattering.  I actually think I passed out because when I woke up, I was radiating so much heat I could feel it a foot away from the top of my head.  I actually turned on the light to see if my skin had been burned.  The soles of my feet ached for 3 days like someone had beaten me with a cane.  I now sleep with a heating blanket at all times, even now, in August.  I was so weak the next day, I couldn't even get out of bed or eat.  I hope I never go through that again, and I hope the rest of you get to feeling better!
I was having these same symptoms for a few years. Seemed to get worse and more frequent when fatigued. Something I read made me decide to stop taking low dose aspirin regimine. I have not had these chills for almost a year. Have my fingers crossed that the aspirin was causing it and this will not happen again. Hope this helps someone.
You really need a thyroid scan and uptake.  I fought drs for a long time because all blood work came back normal.  When they finally did scan and uptake guess what it wasn't normal.  There have been no good thyroid studies done since the 1940's which is one of the reasons that thyroid disorders is one of the most undiagnosed problems in this country
Something interesting you may want to try....believe or not, some licensed psychologists can help you 'train your brain' to increase blood flow to your extremities. Usually, this treatment is for people with poor circulation or a lot of stress that leads to them having cold hands or feet all of the time. This training is called "biofeedback training", and is fairly common. It probably will not be able to cure your chills.
     If your doctors confirm your chills are not due to something like a viral or bacterial infection (the most common cause), or other causes, you might want to try to alleviate some of your symptoms with biofeedback training. If you can increase blood flow to certain areas of your body, you may feel warmer and subside your chills a bit.
     Usually this is accomplished in only a few sessions. You may even be able to find some videos online. It can help keep you calm in stressful situations too :)
I was shocked to read your post as I have very similar symptoms.  I am a 48 year old male and had this for about 15 years now.  Take blood pressure meds, low dose aspiran.  I seem to notice more when tired, end of week usually Fridays.  Doctors tested thyroid and other items, no luck.  Doctor suggested I get blood drawn when chills begin...not sure as this happens at night and no one can touch me, let alone stick a needle in my vein.  If anyone has idea, please respond.  
I have had the  sudden severe chill syndrome for the last 45 years, usually a few episodes per year, that are not related to any illness. Last night I had a rather severe one, so did a web search for the first time and came across this one.
There are always a few common factors for me. Most often after eating at a restaurant, then going outside when the temperature is around 30 to 40 degrees, often with humidity higher than 50%.
Usually at night
A few years ago, it got hit after leaving a restaurant with my older brother who drove that night. While shaking uncontrollably, I notice he did not start the car, because his hand was shaking too badly. It was the first time we knew the other had this problem. So maybe they will find a genetic root cause some day.
I have had these same symptoms starting in June.  I have also been to numerous doctors and blood tests - all normal.  The chills feel as though they are inside my body and not skin surface - although I do get those as well.  I have needed to wear a jacket in a restaurat or move theater because I get cold - when others dont because they are not.  But the chills, feeling warm and flushed - all with no fever, happen frequently. I have generally low body temps in the 96 to 97.5 range is my normal.  Have you learned anything further?
Hey, I understand your frustration, experiencing the same syptoms (symptoms) too but no one can tell exactly what's going on inside me.   Something has to come through, there has to be an answer out there, hopefully sooner than later, I trusting God to help us,  He hasn't fail me yet.  Will let you know the results whenever it finally happens.  

Best Regards
Clif
Its frustrated to read about this problem. I started to look for answer about this problem because my husband has bad chills and it seems to happen only at night when he is in deep sleep. But what I studied is chills only happen when the body is trying to tell you that you have infection, you have to find it, you got to examine your body and think if there's anytime in your life you got hurt and it didn't cause any pain, the infection is inside anywhere of your body. I am on the way to prove I'm wright because I found my husband's problem, the infection is in his three toes, so I am waiting for the doctor to do toe surgery on my husband. I will get everyone update to see if I finally found the problem. Hang in there everybody make sure to think hard and examine your whole body. God Bless everyone....
I am not alone! First time i got these i was 17. I am now 46 and it seems to be getting worse. I am having these more oftrn, almost every night during the colder months. They hurt, i cant move,i scream, and the only thing that help is getting into a hot shower when i can get myself there! No doctor knows what it is, blood tests come back ok. What are we suppose to do? This is crippling...
I get these after being out in the sun all day and then it's cooler in the evening.  Also, if I am outside for an extended period of time, and touch (or sit in) something cold.  Once it starts, I need to immediately get to a warmer place, usually lasts at least an hour.  No correlation to being sick, just happens all of a sudden.
I have same problem as all of you. I have a condition called dysautomia. Its a problem with the autonomic system. My body doesn't regulate my temp or blood flow correctly. You need a GOOD neurologist.
Maybe this can help
I had my knee replaced 8weeks ago and about 5 weeks ago I started having chills for hours. I drink hot tea or hot chocolate lay under blankets with a heated mattress pad nothing helps the chills I cant take a bath yet because of the knee surgery. It my be my body still healing the knee.I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I am so miserable. Md took blood tonight to check thyroid.
Hi this is unbelievable but seems more and more people are suffering with this and i am now one of them. It's almost like the nervous system is giving up...but in a physical way. I started suspecting t.b. shot for work, two shots of HALDOL (nasty stuff) that I received as part of a weird paranormal experience (they thought I was going crazy), followed by a spinal tap to rule out meningitis, followed by a Benadryl shot for a life-threatening allergic reaction to the Haldol...oh and all this within a short time, preceded by super stress. I have been following the chronic fatigue theory and this crap is worse than a real disease because I believe it is just caused by toxin/stress overload
I also have this non stop 24/7 however you might want to see if any of you have taken the antibiotic cipro or levaquin with or without predsione. It causes cns and autonomic nervous system damage. I can barely move anymore, severe pain everywhere.. started as shoulder tendon, then spine, stomch issues.. can be a nightmare. pins and needles all over.. The pain is tremedous.. Alot of people have a delayed reaction, if it is not too severe this will get better but if you are like me it may stay. I have to walk with a hot water bottle inside my shirt to stop the shivering..
If you suspect you have these issues go to Levaquin wall of pain on facebook and read the stories... I hope NON of you are suffering this.. but it will not show up in blood work or anywhere...
Visit a neurologist!
I had a sinus infection that seemed to linger for months, but doctors told me that I didn't have infection. They recommended neurologist, but I didn't see the point, right. But I didn't have any other option left so I went. Turns out a nerve problem was causing it, and I can suppress the nerve with just a small amount of medication. Then the nerve should heal on it's own.
I get these chills all the time, have been like this ever since I was little, so for about 27 years.
Sometimes taking IB Profin makes it go away.
I have the same issues-always comes on at night too. Do you or anyone out there get a uncontollable urge to stretch right before the shivering starts?
What pain medication did your doctor give you for the Fibro?
Hi ... Have read all the mails on this thread & found the symptoms very similar. It is quite frustrating since all the CBC shows negative of any infection. My symptoms as follows :-
1. As evening approaches 7:30pm onwards it doesn't matter even if the enviroment is warm I start feeling the chills & flu like fever sysmptoms.
2. Joints pain like a severe flu symptom & if I check my temperature it is around 100-101 deg.
3. This follows night of chills and sweating, even if I cover with 2 comforters.
4. By morning all the symptoms vanish as if it never existed.
5. The chill and joint pains symptoms start around at 7:30pm and grow in intensity from 10pm to 12midnight till I fall asleep.
6. By the way I also suffer from Rheumatic Arthritis so the Joint pain is extreme when the flu like symptoms persists with the chills ... i was wondering if there is any connection between the two.

Have you had any luck as to know why you were getting those symptoms? Have you managed to get yourself cured of it?
I cant believe I've found this forum! I've been have these symptoms for years now, maybe 3-4 a year. Happen out of nowhere, usually at night either before bed or they wake me during the night. Cold to the bone, uncontrollable shivering, tensing of my body, due to shivering so bad. Nothing helps! Lasts an hour or so then I gradually get warm again and am left feeling completely drained the next day. Was thinking it could possibly be my BP dropping really low, but I don't know. Have decided that during my next attack I'm going to go to the ER to be checked while having one. Had a particularly bad attack last night.
Anyone had any answers from their doctors??
Greetings,  I know you posted a comment about a year ago.  I too am having these unexplained symptoms.  I guess I have had them before and never paid it much attention thinking it was the airconditioner.  But lateley it has become obvious that there's something to this.  Last month I had an episode where I had gone to be and early the next morning between 1 and 3 woke up freezing cold, shaking cold to the bone.  I piled on more covers that didn't work I got up and put sweats and socks on.  Wrapped up in blankets in a mink blanket only to wake up agin sweating like a pig.  I was exhausted.  Well, last night the same thing happended.  I also before the freezing cold issue.  I awake about midnight choking my lungs were full of mucus and I couldn't breathe.  Have you been diagnosed of have a clue what this is? I have a Dr. appt on July 15 and I want to have done some research before my new Dr. diagnose me.  Thanks for you comments I don't feel so along anymore.
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth. Chills accompanied by cold sweats are your bodies way of getting rid of toxins, bacteria etc. You don't have to get a fever but whatever your body is trying to get rid of, it wants to get rid of it asap. Also, sometimes hormones play a huge part (menopause etc).

Cheers and all the best.

P.S. I too used to get these chills, so I know how mich of a nuisance they are. They hurt too sometimes!
I have the same symptoms....I believe it's menopause.  I have friends who have same things:  cold freezing chills, and then hot flashes that turn their face and neck red.  My hot flashes are less red-skin and more smothering/ claustrophobia and hot..need a fan.  And the transition between one and the other is split second.  Have you found out anything about your situation yet?
No I haven't found any answers. I don't think mine are menopausal. I've been getting them on and off for years, since early 30's. I seem to get them worse when I'm really tired and they only happen late evening/nighttime. Sometimes I can get 3 in a week, other times I can go 4-5 months without one. My BP drops low during these 'attacks'.
Did you have other symptoms other than chills / cold when you received your diagnosis of Dysautonomia?  I have been told by one dr. that I have POTS yet "passed" the tilt table test.   Looking for a 2nd opinion.  
I have these same symptoms! I just was researching it to see what is wrong with me. I had one last night before bed and then did not sleep well all night even after the coldness passed. I got the headache you talked about too. I have been getting them at night now for about a year or more. I do wake up though and I am freezing and can't get warm. This was the first time I got the headache along with it.I am on a beta blocker med for SVT for my heart. It will race at times so they put me on that to lower my bp. I don't know what is wrong with me as I've gone for physicals and they have never said anything was wrong. I have mentioned it to my Dr once and she said maybe from a hot flash but I said I don't wake up sweaty. Just thought I'd share that. And last night I never felt hot right before getting so cold.
I have had the chills for about 25 years.  The first occurred while walking in Chicago in winter.  I was in college - age 22.  It was like a trigger went off in my body, and a cold that I had never experienced before.  It took many hours before I stopped shaking.  During the next 10 years I had the chills only at night.  I would awaken from sleep freezing with them.  I saw doctors, but they only wanted to give me lexapro and zanax.  After the 10 years, they started happening at any time, but always when I am feeling cold.  They do get worse when I am nervous or had lack of sleep.  I went to Mayo Clinic and had a full check up, but all the doctor said was that I have "unexplained spells" and gave me zanax to use when they occur.  When they do happen, they do not go away for 8 -10 hours.  It has made me very afraid of getting cold.  I have currently found no answers.  
Now, at age 48,  I am really trying hard to figure this out because I feel like if I have these chills when I am very old, they will kill me.   I am seeing a world renowned neurologist and a Chinese medicine doctor.  The neurologist is trying, but cannot find anything yet to help me.   The Chinese doctor says I have "deep cold in my body"  and I take acupuncture, herbs and moxibustion to try to restore my body to a warmer state.  That seems to help a little so far.  But still no great answers.  I thought I was alone in this because I have never met anyone with this problem.  I am glad to know that I am not crazy, and other experience this.   I have no other health problems and am very mentally stable.  When this happens, though, some people think I am crazy and having a panic attack.   But all my doctors say this is not so.  They say it is physiological, not psychological, but they cannot do anything to help me.
You and I have the SAME issues...  The chills feel like they are inside my body, and can travel.  They can be in my back then go to my legs and feet, even in my head.  During these "spells" I feel almost like I can't move, exhausted, just being in a stupor until they pass.  I think it may be related to toxins in my body.  i also have gluten intolerance and digestion issues.  They get worse if I don't drink enough lemon water daily.  It is hard to go through or explain to someone who has never had it!  You do feel scared or worried because you don't know what it is. These toxins can be related to food intolerance or chemical overload, etc...That is my opinion. I do see a chiropractor that uses Applied Kinesiology.  You might want to try that!  It helps identify the CAUSE.  Then treatment can follow.   I have an appt. on 11-20-13.  i will let you know what I find out.  take care!  Lisa in MN
Most threads that I read you have had all your medical tests and those with ailments are being treated. Yet the chills still persist. These are some considerations that you can try:

1. Drink lots of water on a regular basis (preferably filtered or bottled water).

2. Consider your electrolytes and trace minerals that are being diluted.

3. Take Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) supplements. Research CoQ10

4. Acidophilus supplements – take periodically for a few weeks or months.

5. By far the most important – striking a balance in your body of Sodium, potassium and calcium.  

You might be eating the right foods or taking the correct supplements, but your body is not absorbing these in the correct balance that your body needs. You would need to experiment which one is making you out of ‘balance’. Try taking an extra potassium tablet. Give it some time for your body to absorb it. Drink lots and lots of water (preferably filtered or bottled water, with or without added electrolytes). If not, then try calcium, and then sodium. Again you might be taking these, but your body is not absorbing these, and also not in the quantities your body needs to be in balance. In addition, if you are sweating profusely or foot cramps, this will also help these.

Let us know if you try the balancing in your body of sodium, potassium and calcium and if and how it worked, for the chills, sweating and foot cramps.
I recently had, last night had to go to the er with the same issues as u all. I dint ynderstand wht we are havung these symotoms and the doctors cant tell why? Some mention excersice so im giung to do just that and eat well and see if it changes. I pray that all if us will know whats happening to our bodies and get treated
Extract:
http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/symptoms-of-low-potassium-6174.html

Potassium is an electrolyte with symbol K and a mineral having 19 protons and 19 electrons.

It aids in maintaining water balance of the body.

Potassium is an important nutrient that is required for the proper functioning of nerve impulses, prevention of excess fluid retention, metabolism of carbohydrate and protein, functioning of the nervous and muscular system.

Low potassium in the body can lead to a potentially fatal state for the body, called ‘hypokalemia’. In order to correct the low potassium level in our body, it is very necessary to recognize the symptoms that are associated with it. Go through the following lines, to explore the symptoms of low potassium in detail.

Some:
Signs Of Low Potassium Levels In Body
• Weakness and tiredness
• Constipation
• Tingling or numbness
• Fatigue
• Chills
• Salt retention
• Low blood pressure
• Irregular heartbeat
• Muscle Fatigue, cramps and weakness, sometimes severe enough to cause inability to move arms and legs (similar to paralysis)
• High cholesterol levels
• Insatiable thirst or passing large amounts of urine
• Palpitation
• Abnormal drying of skin
• Abdominal cramping or bloating

Treatment Of Low Potassium Levels

I have been getting these for years now, except now they are worse than ever. Temperature change from warm to cold usually is the trigger. I get a 2 second warning, then all hell breaks loose!!! I literally am under attack by what I refer to as a "cold spell"...AKA "the Devil". I feel like I'm freezing from the inside out and the gripping feeling is usually located in my core. It is so intense that i physically can't move during an attack or it will get worse. I usually (if I'm lucky enough to be home when it happens) have my daughter grab the space heater and coats and blankets for me, It is relentless...It calms for a few minutes and if I move a muscle, it grabs a hold again, and again and again lasting as long as 8 hours and sometimes as short as 15 minutes.( but always by the end, I'm a sweaty mess and I feel like I've been run over by a truck). I have been keeping track of them for over a year, to see if there may be a pattern...The only thing I've learned is if a small one gets me, I'll get another one again and again until the big one gets me,( this is why I refer to it as evil/the devil... then it's usually a couple of months till the next one. But in the mean time I'm constantly afraid of getting one. I'm scarred and don't have any insurance , but soon will...But according to everyone on this sight, even the best doctors can't find the correct diagnosis. I'm a bit over weight but my blood work is good...Other than that, I';m healthy...HELP ME, Someone!!!  I've even written to DR. Phil...To no avail sadly.
hey people,
my dad has same problem,
drink a glass of milk with a spoon of sugar and pinch of PEPPER...it really helps when you get sudden chill/shivering.
maybe its  electrolite imbalance. Buy electrolite  or  rehidration salts in a drugstore  or ask for it behind the counter. This may be causing the chills as its probably shortaage of either sodium or potassium. Try licking  some good quality celtic or Hymalayan salt  to see if that helps. Theses salts come in a single package dose  .If that helps make your own salts by following a formula on internet. Its less costly. Measure your blood sugara which will tell you if yo are low . Low blood sugar will give chills . I have type one diabetes and if im low I get terrible chills sometimes not always so do your own blood test at home . Its good to test it anyways to be sure its not hormone related .. Learn to do Breath of fire . Its a yogic  breath thata warms up the body and moves all abdominal organs and diaphram. Not when when struating though
i think you may be right with regards to toxins, im beginning to think this may be related to gas, sounds daft but im going to get my fire checked out, its like im being poisoned, only had it fitted recently and i get these shivers at night more so in the cold when the fire is on, i only say this because my mum years ago had a gas leek and she has all the symptons of what you guys are saying, headaches, shivers that start in her legs, freezing cold etc etc .anna
I have been having these chill symptoms for about eight months now. I'm always freezing, and get the chills up my body, sometimes only in certain parts of my body like one leg at a time. I have seen three doctors and have had several blood tests done. They all tell me that it is stress related. The symptoms that prolonged stress may give you, in return, create anxiety, and sometimes panic attacks. If you search on the web "stress and chills" or "stress and being cold" you will find a lot of the same answer. This has helped me to not freak out when it happens, but I still get it. In addition to seeing a chiropractor, I have just started seeing a psychologist who says the same thing.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/cold-sensations-chilliness
I have begun experiencing chilling at night, it wakes me up and lasts at least a half hour. Blood pressure goes up-no surprise, because it's upsetting. I'm 75 years old and it's new to me. Reading other notes on this site I've seen the possibility of nerve damage caused by taking the antibiotic Cipro, which I did late last year. Also low-dose aspiring which I take every day because of atherosclerosis and a 35-year history of cardiovascular problems. I also get an drip infusion of Remicade for Psoriatic arthritis every six weeks.
I'll take it up with my medical people and see if anything turns up.
I also have episodes with chills, they suddenly come on and i am completely debilitated, have to go to bed, chattering, can't even get up to put a pair of socks on. the episodes have been going on for about 4 years and are really bad, last about 2-3 hours, when i feel better, by evening i fall into a deep sleep and wake up ok next day. i thought these episodes  could be panic attacks, but i have absolutely no anxious thoughts etc. I also have headache and nausea when these attacks strike. the only thing that i have been able to identify is possible chill eg getting out of bath/not drying hair and possible dehydration too. like everyone else here i would like some diagnosis as the episodes are really seriously debilitating and can strike anytime.
I am not sure how long this has been going on but I experience extreme chills every evening.  Last night it was so bad I grabbed a blanket, turned the heat up, put it on emergency heat, and laid over the vent for almost a couple of hours to attempt to get warm.  I have extremely painful joint and muscles aches.  I had a bad fall several years ago and have had pain since but this has grown in intensity.   The joint aches have got to the point of not being able to tolerate it.  The chills already started this evening...my laptop is helping me get some warmth right now  I am not sure what to do at this point. Quite a few tests have been done including checking for metapause or peri-metapause...thyroid...and others...all come up ok.  I feel everyones agony for sure.  And as the chills come on every evening, the aches are severe to the point I can barely walk.  Wish we could all get answers to tell us exactly what it is....until then we research and become our own personal doctors.  Luckily I have a doctor I can ask to do blood work if I need to get something else checked.  So I see a couple of things I need them to check for now.
I am grateful to all of you who have shared your experiences. The chills just started for me about a month ago. My chills mostly come in the night, and get worse with the lack of sleep, but the onset seems to happen within 30 minutes of me eating.  My tremors start at my waist and radiate down both legs.  Tonight was the first night I timed how long this went on and I had the chills for about 30 minutes; subsided and then went for another 30 min; subsided again, and continued for about 3 hours.I too have had my blood work done and all is well. I am in pretty good health and 46. I have controlled BP taking triamterene 37.5mg/HCTZ 25 mg daily.  I will be looking at my potassium closer. Nothing has changed in my life dramatically, or otherwise, over the past 5+ yrs.  This is all a mystery to me.  I too, will keep posting, should I find any answers. May God bless each of us as we walk this test.
what was the diagnosis ? Im having the same problem ,Ive been off work for a month now .
I went to the doctor after dealing with these uncontrolable , crippling chills only to find out its simple...everyone breath!!! The doctor says its low iron. People have these symptoms and unexplained symptoms due to the little things such as not having enough iron in our diets, lack of sleep and also just not feeding our bodies at all.try iron pills and see if the problem goes away...its not easy for a doctor to test due to the fact our iron level can rise and drop and unless u have a doctor as a spouse then good luck having the test ran during an episode....gl to all!
You have described what I have been experiencing for 25 long years.  Have you found a solution?
It seems like this blog has not been updated for a while, but I am so happy to have stumbled upon it.  3 years ago, I contract a UTI that would not go away.  Since I have been treated repeatedly with antibiotics and seem finally to have gotten that under control but since then have had a slew of other infections all that have been treated with antibiotics many of which now no longer work on me.  2 years ago, after the (then) most recent round of UTI; s I also developed allergies (first time) and then a severe sinus infection, during which I had my first round of bone chilling chills (w/o fever).  Since they have discovered that my Chronic UTIs may not have been UTI's and that my sinus infection may not have been that either, but they cannot figure out what I have. I am so frustrated!  So here are my symptoms (which seem to be common ones on this board).  I have bone chilling chills every afternoon around 3-6 (at times the only way I can eliminate them is to get in a scalding hot tub for 3-5 hours to warm up and stop shaking), I have severe sinus area headaches (comes and goes), I at times get pin prick like pain into my ears, I have back pain every day that is interfering with my life (lower and mid back).  I have hypothyroid and am under treatment for such.  My test results for thyroid all come back fine, my blood work is generally fine but I often have blood in my urine without having an infection.  I have not had a day without some or all of these symptoms now for 2 years.   I have been to my MD multiple times, have blood work drawn often, have a urologist and an ENT I am working with, have been through every test with my ObGYN possible.  Have had cat scans and ultrasounds...everything always comes back fine.  But I am not fine.  I think my MD's think I am loony tunes, but I am not.  Have a wonderful life, wonderful friends, low stress, work from home, I have changed my diet, added a full complement of acidophilus and other remedies but still I am not getting better.  HELP!  Is there anything new out there on this chills and aches syndrome.  If so, please post and let me know.  
Viewing 201-241 comments: