Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Why do I get unexplained chills with no fever or infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I get these unexplained chills all the time, where im freezing cold with goose bumps all over my body. They hurt and I can barely walk they are so bad sometimes. I check my temp when I get these episodes and its perfectly normal. I do not have a infection or am not sick. Im not even in a cold environment. Everyone around me is not cold. Its the weirdest thing, and I cant find a answer for it. Its like my body is messed up and sending these chills for no reason. Please help.
Viewing 1-200 comments:

Hi, I'm also in the same boat. Till now I thoght only I have this problem, but looks like some people are there who has same problem what I have. Even I'm waiting for an answer for this question.
Seems there are a few people that have a chill/cold feeling and don't know what is causing it. I feel like the cold is coming from my bones. Every now and then I get a hot flash, but not very often. Blood and thyroid checked ok, still have cold feeling.
No fever, but something is wrong. Nerves maybe?? Sending wrong signals to my body.
Sooner or later someone will figure it out, hopefuly my doc will.
hi guys i think i have the same problem i get the chills without being cold or anything and i can control it i can cause the chills to my self any ideas? Email me ***@****
Very timely.
This has been going on for over a week now. I've been looking all over the net for some relief, anything....
I did find one reference to nerve pinching that may make sense. I can't sleep it's so bad right now- for days. It's particularly the back of my neck and along my spine....
Right now I have on a heavy shirt, turtlrkneck sweater, over sweater, scarf, headband and jacket. I'm laying with a heating pad for my back.
I won't see my doctor until Tues., and I don't currently have insurance. I'm drinking tons of water and urinating like I've been out skiing. Almost painful chilled immediacy. Antihistamines and aspirin don't help!
I REALLY NEED SOME SLEEP TOO.
Hi this is AMIT. I have also the same problem.
one year back i went for a trek. I walked for 21 - 22 km in a heavy rain i don have dry clothes too... as soon as I reached on fort i slept for 3 hrs as i was very tired with wet clothes ... when i woke i felt the same we all are goin through ... from dat day i facing this prob
After visiting nearly half a dozen doctors and none of them knew what I had. Conclusion is that this is more nutrition and this is probably why doctors can't figure it out because they aren't nutritionists.

And so I started experimenting with vitamins and health activities.
Here's how I solved my chill problems.

1. 8-9 Hours of sleep at night. Sleep somewhat relates to my chills because I was often tired when it hits.
2. Well fed. I was often hungry when it hit and it made me feel like I was shaking and cold to the bone.
3. Excersize. If I ran 5 blocks or 1 mile a day I no longer had bad a chill as I would without any.
4. Vitamin B. It somewhat improves my energy and less chills occured.

5. Drink enough warm water. It helps sooth the body and disables the chill effect because it keeps the body well hydrated and warm.
Sometimes being dehydrated and cold causes the body to rehydrate faster than it should and you quickly sweat it all out because you try hard to warm yourself up because of the chill itself.

6. Super Warm Bath every night with a bit of sea salt in water. This helped calm the body and rehydrate it from skin down. Worked for me. Less chills.

These 5 things helped me out a lot. It might not work for you guys because we are all different but it takes some experimenting to see what you lack. For my body it took experimenting but I finally got it right. In my opinion and experience I've concluded that stress, chills, anxiety, lack of excersize, too much excersize, & other hard to pin point problems are all signs of an imbalance somewhere.

I hope that this helped you guys a bit.

***@****
For nutrition I ate enough protein, drink mineral water and ate a lot of fruits such as pears and peaches.
I am surprised that there are other individuals out there that are expierencing these painful chills. I have gone to several doctors, including a pain management doctor, and no one can figure out what is wrong. My primary doctor had every blood/urine test, known to man, completed on me and everything came back normal. This is what I am expierencing:
1. severe painful chills all over my body (throughout various times in the day/night)
2. "goose bumps" feel like a thousand needles all over my body
3. I get very hot and will start to sweat, within minutes of cooler air touching my body, I develop these horrible chills.

What helps: getting into a warm/hot shower and letting the water run over my body.
I am getting this same effect chills at night take a temperature no fever the only thing that helps me is to get into a hot bath as hot as i can stand it and sweat these feelings out . I recently had mono, pluerisy , bronchitis, pnemonia (pneumonia), and had an infected molar and several other problems however i notice that every time this happens to me . my righ tkidney hurts before it starts happening this has been going on for years with me and usually i drink some water and bam i'm good after always so the dehydrration theory and possiable unnoticed kidney infection could be the problem but howver i dont have an md. or phd just sharing my story with the community love Cass Hope u all feel better soon xoxox God Bless You !
It happened to me last night and it was the most horrible experience ever I tough I was having a stroke, now my body aches really bad. I also was diagnosed with fatty tissue all over my liver couple months ago, and of course my first tough was maybe my liver is not functioning how it supposed. Don't know but I'm really concern. I have kids and I don't want them to see me sick.
I too have this happen to me, Mine usually starts at night and my Face begins to get very red and flushed and Im really warm to touch but I never take my temp. I am usually freezing when this happens and start to shake all over because I am feeling so cold. I have no idea why this happens or what causes it, but It scares me really bad. WHen I get this way, I can tell my anxiety level rises really high and I get scared even more. I am a 42yr old Female so I thought it might be my body going through the change of life but My mom says it doesn't do this.
Any help would be great.
My husband gets these chills and he almost screams he is in so much pain.  He shakes all over and moans & nothing seems to stop the "chill".  He often sits in a movie theatre, and upon leaving the theatre, he gets a "chill".  It sounds horrible and it can be long-lasting.  No Dr. has ever even heard of this happening so we have never had any help.  Enjoyed reading your stories and at least knowing there are others who unfortunately, are suffering in the same way.  Sure wish somebody could come up with an answer for everyone.
I get these chills too and it often happens when I don't get 8-9 hours of sleep.I really have no idea why I get them, and I have barely found anything on the net about them except this thread and one other. My chills will usually last all day until I am able to "sleep the chills off" the next night with a full 8-9 hours of sleep. A way of getting a nice, relaxing sleep is that I take a 3 mg Melatonin pill, which helps promote a good nice.

I usually get these chills down my spine, and it often spreads to my arms, legs, and chest. It ***** so much and it often kills my day. I have a feeling the symptoms have to do with a problem with our immune systems, in which our bodies produce extra antibodies and white blood cells to act like our body needs to fight off some sickness when we really don't have have one.

Has anyone tried getting a blood test while experiencing the chills?

I'm starting to get the same effect. as I was reading the comments I saw a comment that said something about being nerve related and I also have lower back problems as well as neck soreness. Last year I went to see a chiropractor and my spine was shaped like and "s" in stead of being straight. I had a six month treatment which help tremendously.
Before I had visited the chiropractor, I was having lots of heart burn and I went to see a doctor for this. The doctor prescribe to limit the acidy foods. Nonetheless that did not help. However, after seeing the chiropractor the heartburn went away.
I'm going to schedule an oppointment with my chiropractor again because it makes sense to me that my spine is probably getting desaligned agian.
Just FYI if follow my advcie make sure you see a chiropractor that treats sublexation. look up the term to get famaliar with it...

Hope this helps and I keep you guys posted.
I too have started experiencing chills without fever. Full blood tests - all negative.
I'm curious to know how many sufferers share some common aspects.

How many people started with the chills following a cold or flu?
How many sufferers are taking statins (Simvastatin)?
How many sufferers are taking Atenolol (Tenormin)?
How many sufferers also get regular kidney infections?
I get this freezing feeling and it is at bedtime and I have an insanely hard time making it stop.  I agree that for some of us it is the body fighting off an infection and almost the opposite of a fever.  I often wake up feeling sick the next day. Sometimes pain relievers like tylenol has helped it and I am doing everything to boost my immune system...elderberry, astragalus,echinachea,probiotics, omega3s...I think these have been helping too.  oddly I have some issues with my kidneys too!
Agree with cybervang.  I narrowed it down to stomach and food related problems.  Constipation, junk food, food and other allergies.  They even say in recent years that an allergy can give you a slight fever.  Anything is possible with all the pollution and weird food nowadays.  Don't let doctors tell you that you are crazy!!  It can be exacerbated by nervousness and stress, but it's not just nerves or all in your head.  Good luck and good health to everyone!!

disgustedpatient1959
For 30 years, I've reported to every doctor, that I get severe cold chills.  The doctors will do routine screens, a complete blood count, TSH and chem profile.  Because the blood test come back normal, they don't look any further.  I am seeing an endocrinologist, with over 30 years experience, and she is also doing the same thing.  She believes it is because I am in menopause.  When I said, that I had the cold chills and cold sweats in my early twenties, she replied "Well maybe you are someone who feels cold all the time."

The medical profession does not know what to do about people who suffer from extreme cold and chills.  And due to health insurance regulations, doctors will not spend anytime seeking answers to our problems.

The nights are worst than the days.  I need an extreme amount of heat to feel comfortably warm.  I can't sleep at night unless the room temperature is above 70.  I sleep with an electric mattress pad set on the higher settings, wearing flannel pj's and a cashmere robe.  

My maternal uncles, aunts and mother suffered from cold chills also.  None of their doctors helped them either.

I spend a lot of time doing web research, that's how I came across this forum.  I believe  the cold chills and cold sweats arise from thyroid or pituitary problems, because these glands regulate the body temperature.  However, the standard laboratory tests are not showing any abnormalities, even though a problem exists.

I worked as a medical technologist in microbiology for 20 years and other idea I thought about is that cold chills and cold sweats can be caused by infections and parasites.  Bacteria, viruses, yeasts, parasites usually cause fevers, but they could also cause chills without fevers.

The cold chills and cold sweats just don't seem important enough for my doctors to seek a resolution for, so I have to find other ways of helping myself outside of the medical profession.  
I have allot of what I am reading.
I have had neck problem starting back 15 years ago (age 16) no one knew what was going on. Tried a chiropractor, physical Doc. Nothing helps  To this day my neck gets so bad I get sick. With very bad headaches. I have tried everything know to man.
Last year I started with my face burning up. Hot to touch and then I feel so cold I couldn't get warm. But when I sleep I get very very hot from head to toe.
I don't get bothered by it. So its not  nerves. But I do deal with thyroid problems....I take meds for that so it normal right now.
Thanks for all your post. After being asked last week if I was ok because my face looked very red...yet I was cold. I thought I would see what I could find.
:)God Bless you all
Chills is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), which is one of the most under-diagnosed conditions in the U.S. Some blood tests might show that you are "normal" when in fact you may be not.

Does anyone have any trouble with their teeth? More specifically had root canals that are failing? I've had 2 root canals, one approximately 15 years ago, which has recently failed (it turns out they missed one canal and the tooth was infected and had to be re-treated) and the 2nd was done a year ago, which never felt right, I'm always in pain and I believe it is infected and failing, even though the x-rays show it is "normal."
I do hope that those of you with these chills will go see a naturopathic doctor. The naturopath will run some blood tests and possibly a saliva test. Some medical doctors are jumping on board with the understanding that what we put into our mouths has a huge impact on our overall health so you may be able to find a MD that will run the same tests....One post was correct in that this can be a major symptom of hypothyroidism.  Hypothyroidism can be connected/caused by diet that is low in nutrients..and/or if you do eat healthy/whole foods your body may not be absorbing nutrients which can be due to food allergies.

You can get simple bloods tests to test for thyroid disorder, test for vitamin/mineral deficiency such as B & D, hormone levels and also get an IgE blood panel for food allergies.  It all seems to come back to our gut.  All of these are fairly simple to regulate!

Good luck to all of you! Hope you can get this figured out!

Best,
Sharon
My endocrinologist and gynecologist supposedly did a routine thyroid panel and both independently claimed the tests were normal.  The chills continue so much that they are seriously interfering with my life.  I sleep at different times than my husband because I use a heated mattress pad, otherwise the chills prevent me getting to sleep.  In addition I use a personal foot heaters to bring warmth to my feet and legs.  However the continued use of these heaters causes first and second degree burns on my feet and ankles.  One thing I have not tried is drinking more water each day.  Maybe dehydration is the cause of the chills.  I will report back if increasing my fluid intake resolves the problem
This happened to me late yesterday afternoon. My neck has been hurting, then of course by back started and I got a horrible head ache. I was away from home for 13 hours yesterday, all over, driving and in a meeting, ferry rides. It got so bad by 6:30 pm I thought I could not make it home off the ferry. I sat by the fire and warmed up, then took a hot shower. I don't feel that great today, but I don't have a fever and I am not sick. I am glad to know I am not the only one with this. I recently had to put my golden retriever down and we just made a major move. Plus, our house now has carpeting which I can not tolerate with dogs. I thought perhaps this was allergy and stress related, but after reading the posts, it could be food related. I keep forgetting to eat, I am so busy. I will keep watching this post.
Thank you,
Michele
I am 38 female; Previous medical history diagnosed with Epstein barr virus(it's more common than you think...look it up) in 2001-- Otherwise, I am perfectly healthy.  Today I seem to get the chills down my arms (I'm wearing a fleece sweater and still feel cold) I also feel weak, tired but unable to sleep.  It is allergy season so my sinuses are bothering me a bit--they slightly ache. Aside from my symptoms today I do NOT always feel this way....I am in shape, eat well.  I have unexplained chills, muscles ache a bit but I've been exercising... (?) Really strange symptoms...any doctors willing to give on line advice, share ideas????
I had those chill for the 4 time now, but only find out yesterday that i do not have fever along.
It make me feel like i am standing in a freezer naked, even hot shower and extra heat and a lots of clothes and blanket didnt help. Its also really painful, it keep me awake all night. I also feel really week and tired. I have seen a docter yesterday, but everythings is fine according the doc. How everythings can be fine when i am missing work because that... I am now waiting blood test result.
Beside that i do have neck pain like other have mentionned (probably du to several fall on my head) and i also have many allergy. I eat a lots and well but i may not hydrate enough. Now i hope this will go away by itself if really nobody know for sure what it is...  
i had most all of the above couple years ago, docs said it was arthritis but i was only 20 and didnt think it was true... later i so a naturist doc and he said i had an infection in my ovaries( he said maybe i got after giving birth) and tread me for it with natural med it help and i havent had any problems since then.

but now my 16 year old sister in-law is having chills and numbness and along it anxiety attacks so they think she is got paresthesias but i doesnt really add up with her....

and she has not just most but i believe ALL of the above

we need help too... (i cant find my old doc that help me) ;-(
Ok, these chills up my spine reaching my neck are driving me bonkers.  I have them for weeks at a time.  I do suffer from UTI's but do not have one at present.  This morning I woke up freezing cold, shaking and then when I moved to get up to get warm and chill went right down my left arm and reached my hand, making it tingle and itch.  This has happened numerous times and I have no idea what causes it.  I am sitting now with a hot water bottle on my back, despite it being a fairly warm summer's day, I go through about 5-6 hot water bottles per day as applying direct heat to my spine is the only thing that stops it.  The rest of my body apart from my feet and bottom is warm.

I have been reading all the above stories and have some of these symptoms but not all.  My chills do not hurt they just make me feel awful because I am so cold.  I do get shoulder and neck pain and suffer from anxiety, taking Paroxetine for this.

Any ideas anyone?    

Victoria
My chills started about 3-4 years ago and they come and go.  My OB-GYN ordered a thyroid test & it came back normal.  Yearly blood tests show my thyroid in the normal range (albeit the low end of the normal range).  My Family Practicioner has blown me off & blames it on "hormones", even tho my OB-GYN says it isn't that. The chills originally only happened in the middle of the night (they would wake me up) but now they happen any time in the day/night.  I never know when they might happen.  I started a journal and can't link them to any single thing.,  My temperature is normal during these episodes.  My entire body is chilled & I wrap myself up in a blanket & cover my head....my body shakes & my teeth chatter.  I become so tense that my body does ache when I am finally over it.  They are seeming to last longer than when they first started.  I don't have an infection that I know about--no glands are swollen.  I am on statins for high cholesterol and take OTC Prilosec for GERD.  I am also on birth control continuously (for the estrogen).  I am in the process of trying to find an internal medicine specialist since my latest blood reports show my cholesterol not improving & a HS-CRP of 10.19.  I wonder if this isn't all related.  
Hello everyone, I have had these exact symptoms for over 3 years now. I have never had any insurance and now owe hundreds of thousands of dollars to medical billing companys for emergency visits to hospitals and doctors... I will never be able to pay them because of the severity of my chills. I currently take methadone 5mg pills 1 or 2 every other day to control it to a certain extent. My gf is prescribed it for fibro mialgia and it helps extremley. these chills and goose bumps are so svere that i can no longer work, have freinds, or do anything but lay in bed everyday. I am a 24 year old male with perfect health according to doctors. nobody will even try to help me and i feel there will never be an answer. all tests for blood, TB, x-rays, cat scans, MRI all come back perfectly normal, when in my mind I KNOW that there IS a problem somewhere. Its frustration beyond belief and has totally ruined my life. I hope someone somewhere figures out how to help us all. I feel that the only escape is death, and nobody wants that. Seems to be no options for us left after researching this for 3 years. I feel it is destroying me and im trying so hard to survive. GOOD LUCK TO US ALL AND GOD BLESS. were gonna need it.
I am a 38 year old male with prostate problems. I started feeling sick 3 months ago (March 1st week) and was diagnosed yet again with prostatis - asked to take anti-b's etc. The fever didn't subside and  I was tested for malaria/typhoid/hepatitis/thyroid deficiency/ TB - all results came back negative. Finally I was diagnosed with EBV (Epstein Barr virus) and mononucleosis. My fever disappeared on April 11th but the chills which started in March were still there. My liver enzymes which were pretty high because of the virus have all come back down to the acceptable limits but the chills persist. I avoided alcohol for a month thinking alchohol was causing the chills but was still getting the chills despite avoiding alcohol.

I have no other symptoms except for these unexplained chills which sometimes make me tired but for the most part are very irritating but don't really get in the way of my life but i get the feeling something's wrong.All those who are experiencing these chills will agree with me when I say it's not normal to feel this way but I feel helpless as the doctors all tell me the test results are fine and there's nothing to worry and they really don't know the reason behind the chills. I don't know if the mono is causing the chills but i'm still suffering!
i have just had bloods cme back today and they think it a viris!(wat ever) they just dnt know! 1 thing i wanted to know tho os how many people with this hav and an opperation where they fill your tummy with gas?? because the pain i get is like the pain of the gas, its up under my shoulder and makes my right arm throb, ( sharp intence pain) i also get very hot but dnt seem to have a temp. thismorning it all seemed to be going away but sure enough its not gone! and i can fully understand when people say it hurt! when i get my chills i can bearly walk im to sceard to get up to go to the loo or anythin in the night because it is so painfull. well looks like we just all have to put up with it because it seems know 1 wants to realy be bothrd investigating it further.
Hello...this is my first post here.  I'm in the middle of an episode of these chills and was searching online for info and am so glad I stumbled across this site as I now know I'm not alone and it's not all in my head.  I've had episodes of chills with no fever for a few years now.  I tell my doctor about it and he always says it must be some sort of infection and to come in for immediate blood testing while it's happening.  Well, thing is, it ALWAYS happens late at night.  There has been no rhyme or reason to this thing, either.  But, the symptoms are always the same:  extreme chills which induce shaking and teeth chattering, cannot warm up, no fever...ever.  It lasts anywhere from one to four hours and insomnia, as you can imagine, plays a part (who can sleep when they're feeling like they're in a deep freeze?).  I have to pile on blankets, etc., even in the middle of summer, until it goes away.

Tonight, I'm also battling an ear infection and can't help but wonder if that or the meds I'm taking for it brought on the chills, although, once again, there is no fever.  Normally, when I have these episodes, my blood pressure and body temp are low.  Tonight, however, my blood pressure was 159/95, the highest it's ever been.  Pulse rate was 80 and body temp was 95.7.

My gyno said it could be related to "the change" in some way, but I've read here that this is affecting men, too, so that supposition just went out the window.

I also read here that someone has had problems with root canals and that's something I've experienced, too, and wondered on more than one occasion if dental problems could be the culprit as the chills seem to follow my teeth cleanings or dental work.  But, I have the chills at other times of the year, as well, so there goes that idea, too, I guess.

Hoping to find some sort of answer here.  Thanks!
I have been watching this forum with interest as i have been having similar symptoms for 5 months now.
In previous years i noticed that if i got very chilled or damp,i would have very these symptoms which would only last for a day or possibly 2 then clear up  completely.
This year ,after a prolonged winter,i get the chills most days and have body aches (noticably and uncomfortably in my feet).I also feel lethargic and very low on the bad days.
What i do not understand is that the feelings can be very bad for a period then seem to ease drasticly and quickly for maybe a day then reoccur just as badly.
I am a normally healthy male who up until this was exercising regularly.
I have had all the tests suggested by my doctor but  now he has given up (great!).
Hoping that this is going to ease  as it is affecting my life (and moods).
heres hoping we can all get some relief soon....
Same here guys, after a protected sex with a CSW one day, I took a bath at 5:00 am and slept with hair still bit wet, when I woke up, I developed soar throat and little feverish. The 5th day, developed into chills without fever, with few sweats going on for a month, it happens in few hours of each day, still have a mild soar throat and ocassionaly dry couch. though dry cough burst for a few minutes once in a day. My stomach appears to be discomfort at times but it does not lead to Diarrhea. my stool is dark. and I am easily prone to motion sickness.

my first two weeks later. CBC test counts from 4800, monocyte 4.0. Then on the next CBC after a week, it dropped to 4,400 and my monocytes down to to 2.0.

after the month, I was tested for HIV and syphillis (syphilis) and it was negative, then two days after my test, I'm experiencing pains from my lymph nodes area in the nect and near my elbow. though My doctor checked twice in my neck. she said, it does not appear swollen.

I'm due to do another CBC two weeks from now, right now, my doctor only gave my anti-histamines.

I have no idea what is going on with me.
I was diagnosed with mononucleosis in August 2010 during which time I had the usual fever, nausea, headache, swollen lymph nodes, etc.  Almost all symptoms went away except fatigue which was very bad until February 2010 and goose bump inducing tingle/chills on mostly my arms but also on my legs/body.  The chills get especially noticeable a week or two before my period, then go away during and a little after my menses, but ALWAYS come back.  I do not have a fever when I have these chills and am not shivering although I do tend to be colder than all my friends/family at any given time.  I have a constant flush or general warm feeling around my face as if I have a fever (but never do).  My doctor doesn't know what it is.  I looked on other forums about unexplained chills/tingles/goose bumps and saw multiple sclerosis blogs about it.  (mono is a common finding in medical history for those who develop MS) but am not diagnosed with MS.  I notice getting sick makes the chills worse (without fever) and makes me fatigued as if I had mono again.  Some things that help me (someone else posted a similar regimen as well which was neat to see):
-get enough sleep
-take vitamins so you don't get sick and exacerbate the chills
-take B vitamins
-eat a lot of food (somehow eating helps the chills subside when they are bad)

Okay, would appreciate any feedback.  Good luck to everyone.  I know it is completely frustrating.
I have been experiencing severe chills for almost 6 months. First off, I am a diabetic and work from home. I have noticed certain variables that may or may not be the cause for these severe chills with no fever:

- I usually am tired or have not slept well the previous night
- I not hungry in the morning and have not eaten
- my blood glucose is not controlled during the episode...rising on it's own.

The chills usually occur a few hours after I awake and last about 2-4 hours. I will lay back, cover up and use a heating pad in order to get warm. I usually experience shaking, chattering teeth and muscle pain. I become so weak that I need to fall asleep during the episode. After a few hours I usually am still weak but no longer 'cold'. The weakness and muscle pain continue for about 24 hours.

Hopefully, a common denominator can be found from everyone's experiences....
This is the first post that I've ever found on unexplained chills.  I have suffered from getting these chills for the last 15 years.  In the past, I have experienced these chills only during the day and noticed that I was susceptible to getting these chills when I was exposed to colder weather, windy conditions, temperature changes (i.e. air conditioned building to very hot weather outside, or if I did not promptly dry my hair after washing it. Now, I made it a point to wear lots of layers all the time and bring a jacket/windbreaker when going out to prevent getting chills.  

When I get chilled , I'm cold all over from my head to my toes as well as extreme gas in my stomach and gas bubbles in my back.  My self treatment (since no MD seems to acknowledge that I have an issue) is the following: taking a hot shower if I am not too achy, wearing four layers of clothes w/ socks and sweating/sleeping it off (anywhere between an hour to 10 hours).  For the gas, I have my DH give me a back rub so that I end up belching out the gas and ginger helps relieve the gas symptoms.  I either chew on candied ginger or even better, I brew my own ginger tea with a few slices of raw ginger in a 4 or 5 cups of water (you can add honey if needed).  The tea has always helped relieve the gas symptoms.

Recently, I started seeing a Nautrapathic doctor for a unrelated issue.  She explained that my immune system was weak and started me on probiotics & vitamin D.  It's been a couple of months and I have noticed that my body feels warmer and the chills spells have decreased.

I MAY have some information that would shed some light.
Gradual body aches that grow progressively worse, turning into chillls that will rattle your teeth.The pain deep in your bones is unbearable. Piling on clothes doesn't help, I've had to sit in front of the forced fan heater, but in the summer this isn't possilbe. A tub full of hot and I mean HOT water, will sometimes stop the chills and aching. The first year it happened only once. Each year thereafter it happened more frequently.The heat would stop the chills but then the aching would rack my body.  I might even take a pain pill and climb into bed. (It always seemed to occur in the evening or nighttime. summer or winter.) my body temperature would rise,around 101, but I figured it was probably due to the hot water or sitting in front of the heater....by morning it was all over...except I was exhausted for the next few days. it might be months before it would happen again...by the end of the second year, I could begin to tell the signs at the beginning of the achy feeling... I went to doctors...????WTF??? they didn't know anything.....
Of course, I was feeling fine when I went....One day after about 8 years of this, I decided that at the worst point I was going to go to the emergency room. Maybe if I showed up with symptoms, they could figure out what was wrong.....I'd gone out with friends, had a drink and a half and started feeling terribly achey (achy)...as the chills were starting and the pain was increasing, I had a friend drive me to the hospital, where they all but accused me of being an alcoholic or a drug seeker. I left totally disheartened.. But I'm not one to give up. a few months later it happened again.....I was out late one night at a friends house and started feeling the 'symptoms'...aching in my bones and the beginning of chills....I drove myself to a DIFFERENT ER.....The guy there was so understanding.I told him the history and my frustration at being told nothing was wrong.....I was shaking like a jackhammer, and I had a temp of 102.....Once they gave me a shot of demerol and piled hot blankets on me, the symptoms subsided including the "fever"....He took blood work and came back and told me my ESR was skyhigh....ESR? I said?.....It tells me "something" is going on, he said....I'm going to recommend a specialist .3weeks later.I finally got an appointment, and he took a Antithyroglobulin Antibody Test....I returned in 2 weeks and he said everything is fine, you have NOTHING!!!!! I was infuriated. I even went to a renowned clinic and had a complete going over EKG Xrays and all....they recommended a psychologist!!!!!!!!  For whatever reason, my life situation changed and I no longer drank any alcohol or smoked......3 years went by.......no symptoms......one night I'm out with my husband having dinner at a restaurant and as I was eating I thought I noticed the faint taste of wine in the food. I asked the waiter, and he said, "oh don't worry ma'am, it gets cooked out, there's no alcohol in it.........that night, I had the chills, though not as severe as in the past..After that, NOTHING.......a few years into my "remission" I read a research paper on "rheumatoid arthritis type symptoms" being triggered by alcohol

......All I can tell you is that another 20 years has gone by, and I have not had a drop of alcohol and I have NEVER had those symptoms again...I've queeried many physician friends of mine to see if they've ever encountered this....NOPE....I guess it would take someone seriously interested in research to figure out what the HELL it is....

I will say that although all my tests came back O.K. I always suspected my thyroid may have been out of wack because of my being so very very thin and having heart palpatations, but they all said everything was fine.... zoom ahead 25 years and strangely, my thyroid goes completely berserk I develope a goiter and lose 15 puunds in 2 weeks.... I get all the tests and scans and then it straightens itself out without ANY treatment....That was 5 years ago......Go figure!

My fiance is experiencing this problem and I have never seen it before until yesterday. He was getting out of the shower and he just stands there and you could see the goosebumps on his body. HE says that he is really cold and he runs to the bed and covers himself with the blankets. That wasn't enough he still wants more blankets. I put them on top of him and then I cover him too with my body. We stay there for a while. He says that he feels the cold from his bones. Im scared but at the same time I want to look brave to him. I don't know why this happens but later that day it happens again but only for a while. It hasn't happened in a long time and until yesterday it came back. All he feels is really cold and gets the bumps. Im doing research on it but have found nothing yet. He is 24 and I want this to go away. I hope one day someone can explain this. Please Help!!!!!
How can we find someone who can actually give us answers? Can we send this thread to someone who can actually do some real research on this?

Age: 23 Years Old.
Location: Sacramento, CA

Saturday...
I came down with what I thought was just a Flu.  I was completely normal upstairs in my bedroom using my computer.  All of a sudden, within 30 seconds my whole body started shivering.  I'm talking from Head to Toe.  I had to cover myself with a blanket although my house was 81 degrees.  Had a fever as well.  Slept it off.

Sunday...
Woke up feeling a little exhausted, but definitely more normal than Saturday.  2 hours later, same thing happens.  The most intense chills I've ever felt my whole life.  I couldn't even hold the cup properly to get water from the dispenser.  Rested for 7 hours until it stopped.

Monday...
Woke up. Same thing.  Intense chills. Taken to the emergency room this time because I knew something was wrong.  After they hydrated me up, it actually stopped and I felt better.

They let me go home that day.  Took a nap, woke up, and the chills came back.  This time less intense and also without fever.  Drank water + Tylenol.  It stops.

Tuesday...
Feeling normal but slight neck pain and minor headache.  Around 7pm started getting the chills again.  Took a Tylenol, drank a glass of water.  It goes away.

Closing...
I noticed that each time I get the chills, a fever slowly creeps up and it triggers a head ache.  It has only been 4 days but I'm scared it's going to keep happening.

I also noticed from other entries who had similar symptoms
  1.) Neck Pain
  2.) Bone Chills
  3.) Headache
  4.) Fever
  5.) Root Canal Issues
For the last three days I been haveing the sweats really bad then the chills and my stomach really upset try to go to the bathroom but can't i go to eat something then i feel really sick i would go into a store and the sweat would poor down my body not a very good feeling when i am sitting i am fine when i get up to do something that is when it starts
I've had the chills, body aches, fever on and off for the last three months. Really no help from the doc. My mom suggested I start taking liquid vitamins and I haven't had any problems since. I pray it stays that way.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1912
I have read all the comments with great interest and my sympathy is with you all.  We seem to have in common the fact that no one has been able to help us.  I'll tell my story and perhaps it will help someone else.  At the end of May my temperature suddenly would not get above 97 and I felt very cold.  Added to that, my feet, legs, and even fingers started to ache very painfully.  Since it was a weekend and this wasn't going away, I made a trip to the ER.  I was tested there for thyroid, anemia, and maybe vitamin B12 deficiency.  All were normal but the doctor suggested I check with my internist about the beta blocker, Propranolol, that I have been taking for years.  I have such bad tachycardia that I can't get along without it.  I am also on a calcium channel blocker for hypertension.

When I told my regular doctor that my temperature wasn't going up to 98.6 any longer, he said he thought I was "obsessing about it" and probably just had the flu.  That was weeks ago and that so-called "flu" is still hanging on.  The chills come on me just about any time even if my house is 80 degrees.  My skin feels cold and I have a clammy, sweaty feeling, even while freezing.  Anyway, that same day when I went to the ER, after I got home I had a bout of diarrhea and right after that my temp finally went up to 98.  I have been dealing with strange gastro problems [including extreme bloating] for over a year and I can't get an answer for that one, either.  My stools are never normal and it is either constipation or diarrhea.  Lately,  I have had a colonoscopy and CT scan of the body and all that were found were partially blocked coronary arteries and a kidney stone that is causing no problems.  Not very helpful with my constant abdominal discomfort and these chills.  It is either the latter or the aching in my feet that keeps me awake at night.

I once had much more severe chills at night when I was a young woman.  This is when I had mono and when the illness finally ran its course the chills went away, too, not to return until now.  I had mono twice, once mildly and once seriously, so I urge you younger people with the chills to get tested for mono as that might be your problem.  But mono doesn't last forever and those of you who have had these chills without fever for a long period of time probably are not suffering from mono.  The gastro guy gave me some Neomyacin the other day.  The first pharmacy I went to didn't have it and so today I will try elsewhere.  My guess is that drug should help with just about any infection that might be in my body.  I'll post back here if it helps with those chills that are just getting worse and more frequent.
Been suffering from these symptoms for some time now. Doctors have no clue what to do. As well I have some gastrointestinal issues flaring up very frequently. I'm on a waiting list to see a specialist in November. It's very painful physically and emotionally. The weird thing I have with these chills is some times they can be all over. Other times it's like in small patches. I can feel as if someone is pooring cold water under my skin in certain spots(triggered by a breeze.) Some times I get it at the back of my neck. The worst is when I begin breathing in and it's as if I'm inhaling freezer air. Some times that's my only symptom. This usually comes on after flank pain. I seem to have a lot of knawing rotting pain in my flank area and lots of gurgling rushing feelings. My stomach can cramp as well.

In regards to the chills though this entire winter I could not sleep with my head above the blanket.
I thinks chills would be only cause if your body is lacking vitamins. A lot of people with diabetes get chills as their body doesn't use full energy or vitamins they consume. I would suggest do a test on liver or pancreatic check then doctor will be able to tell you if your body uses the food you consume with 100% outcome and don't forget to exercise. By the way uncontrolled stress can cause chills (happened to me before so now I have to spend 1 hour in gym)
Perhaps it's no coincidence that the only thing that helps me with these painful chills is Ibuprofen, an anti-inflammatory.  I think it's
possible there's some inflammation in my intestines that has been missed by tests and is causing my body to go haywire.  Otherwise, why would Ibuprofen help with chills where there is no fever??

You can try it, too, but I take Ibuprofen cautiously because it can be hard on the stomach.  Heed the warning on the label!
I promised to follow up on the result of my course of Neomycin, an antibiotic, on my chills without fever.  I took 500mg twice daily and am happy to say that within a couple of days the chills went away.  Whether or not they return remains to be seen, but for now I have to conclude there was, indeed, an infection of some type in my body that responded to treatment.  On the down side, I still have the pain in my extremities.  I have an appointment with a cardiologist in the coming month due to a CT scan showing clogged coronary arteries and will see what he has to say.
I don't understand what it is but for a strange reason I have been feeling cold chills. Just last night I had a horrible dream I woke up frantic. I had tons of cold chills and I had this weird feeling that pressure was building and pushing down on to my body I jumped up and the feeling slowly faded away. But the weird thing was that when I woke up I wasn't able to speak for a few seconds.  I'm guessing this happened bc of the nightmaire I was having idk.  If u know why this happened I'm interested in finding out plz email me at ***@****
My husband is 44 years old and has been having chills, w/o fever, for years.  He always has these episodes very early in the mornings.  Sometimes he makes it up and sits in the recliner in the living room before the chills begin.  The chills last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, before suddenly "switching off" and he goes into a deep sleep for a couple of hours.  He awakes very tired for the rest of the day.  During this episode, he loses the ability to communicate and is unresponsive during the "sleeping period".  However, he says he can hear whats going on around him.  He has had problems with his prostate, digestion, weight gain, and severe anxiety/depression.  He has been tested and examined by 2 or 3 general practitioners and 2 neurologists, but to no avail.  No one has any explanation or suggestions.  I cannot move him during these "spells" since he's unconscious, and he doesn't want me to call an ambulance.  I think he's given up on doctors.  It does interfere with his life, and has missed a lot of work because of it.  Any suggestions?  By the way, his dad has had similar symptoms since he was my husband's age, however, not as severe.  And he never lost consciousness.  He said he felt better after taking aspirin, but felt weak afterwards.  
I get the chills only at night and they go away by 10 or 11 the next day. I wake up in the middle of the night sweating puddles after I had to curl up in a blanket to sleep and shake and shake. My face gets red and flushed sometimes. I go between chills and freezing to chills and sweating and burning up. I have a history of Kidney problems, but not when this happens. It is very painful. It feels like thousands of needles are poking my entire body from head to toe and my neck gets very stiff and I can barley turn it. Everyday every symptom goes away and comes back at night. Whenever the sun is down I am sick. I believe I also have a pinched nerve in my shoulder, but I had it along time before this problem started. The pinched nerve ALWAYS hurts.
Oh and by the way so if you wonder I am only 24 years old.
I am FREEZING!  I've had the chills for 3 hours, now. I have no fever or infection. This is the first time this has happened to me.

I am a 50 yrold female. I just came in from PT, where the therapist hurt my bone, moving it around. It still aches. Maybe injury causes chills?
Hello everyone

Hi My name is Beth and im 26yrs old myself and my father both suffer from these bone chills as we call them.. its been going on for years but with us they turn into seizures.. its starts out with us getting freezing cold then turns to shivering we cannot stop then the shivering gets so violent we go into a complex partial seizure which is a seizure when ur completely awake and aware.. they are horrible!  not one doctor can fiugre it out we have both been to pain management, neurologist, etc.. no one knows what to do.. if anyone have advice id love to hear it!  thanks everyone and good luck to all of you as well!!  
I'm sorry to hear you all are going through this.  I have not had it, but because I have food allergies and food allergies can cause all kinds of symptoms, I think you might want to try the 'caveman diet."  I'd buy organic meats/chicken/fish, fruits and vegetables (organic is more important with some foods more than others) and nuts, and avoid grains and processed foods. Do your own cooking, or eat raw when possible, and cook simply except to use herbs.  Eat lots of greens.  My doctor likes green smoothie shakes for snacks.  He really promotes a simple diet with just meat, veggies, fruits and nuts, and raw as much as possible.  He says it's healthful and antiaging.

Hope you find the cause soon.  Sounds bad.  
In reading these posts, I believe there are two or maybe three causes of the chills such as hormone problems, immune system problems or infection.  If all of us were able to get free and excellent health care, the medical profession would locate the root cause of the chills.  But we don't have socialized medicine in the US, and therefore we suffer because our doctors can not get insurance approval for our health care costs.  We are moving to Canada, I am fed up with feeling bad all the time and paying out money to doctors who can't or won't help.
This is a followup to my original post. I read that others who have responded to this post has slightly elevated  ESR levels as myself.  After going to countless doctors, no one could explain why it was elevated and why I had theses symptoms that included allergies that come and go, chills, sweating, etc.  Since I've been taking vitamins (Pure Encapsulations brand) with no preservatives, I've been feeling better and the symptoms are gradually going away.  A book was brought to my attention by Martin Pall, Biochemist, who goes into detail about the chemical reaction involved when certain chemicals in the body are elevated which causes the body to react in many irregular ways.  I just bought this book and found it very interesting.  He presents his findings and possible solutions.  The book is pricey, but can be purchased via Amazon.com if your interested.
I am a 50 year old female who stopped having her period 3 years ago and never had hot flashes before or anything like that.  I do suffer with PTSD which includes a lot of worry and anxiety; I've had a tragic life with a lot of loss.  However, I can tell the difference between things being "in my head" or not and because I have the PTSD, I have been rejected and dismissed quite often by doctors when I need real help.  I also have type 2 diabetes.  I have an A1C of 7.  I do work out, albeit I am 60 pounds overweight. I do try to eat very healthily.  So, here's the scoop: I have been having lots of sweating for a few months now.  Hot and cold sweats.  I get drenched. Now, for the last week or more, I have these severe chills.  It feels like I have a high fever, but there is no fever at all.  I have a lowered appetite with this too.  I have been to three doctors in the last week who did bloodwork to find nothing wrong.  My primary care doctor acknowledged that I really looked ill, I mean I was shivering.  It lasts all day and night.  The only time it seems to be better is for a few hours after waking up.  Then it returns.  I do take Atenolol, but only about 1/2 pill daily.  I stopped the Metformin, thinking it may be from that, but the doctor checked the lactic acid in my blood and it was normal.  Normal thyroid, normal CBC, etc.  No one seems to know what's wrong.  I had a hurting tooth after a crown and even when to my dentist today, on Saturday (he came in especially for me), thinking that may be the culprit. He took x-rays and nothing was wrong.  Still no answer.  Plus, he shaved down a thousand dollar crown I just got, which really *****.  I am at a loss.  I can't warm up.  Up until this point, I was so hot all of the time.  My GYN tells me it's hormonal.  It's NOT, I can tell that it's not.  Even if that's a part of it, something is wrong.  If you guys can help or let me know of any answers you have found, please tell me.  I cannot get warm, I have these awful chills, no fever, sweats, drenching sweats.  I hope to hear from you all.  I'm at ***@****
Thank you.
I wonder, this is starting to become very common now.  I notice that I get this spell very seldom before going to bed, especially right after getting out of a shower and the vent is on and it's kinda cold. Then I am rushing to get my clothes on. I notice also this happens during the time I am needing to use the restroom, or, take a s***. But i do believe it can lie more with the Thyroid and i believe I might have a problem with mine.  Or low blood pressure but as I was feeling this way I felt my pulse and it was fine, well, it seemed fine. I have woken up in the morning or at night feeling chilly as if I had a fever when the air conditioner is full blast cold. Maybe a combination of all 3, thyroid, bowel and low blood pressure.
DO DOCTORS EVER COME HERE AND COMMENT? i feel the same way but the body aches is worse then the chills. they think i may be a carrier for MRSA. just had testing done wont know till next week good luck to you all.
I used to get these terrible chills and teeth-chattering etc like u have all said, blankets and terribly clod, anxiety all of it from drug overdoses...Hospitals would hydrate me is about all. I quit all drugs many yrs ago but the other night I had a few beers...maybe 6...and couldn't sleep at all and at 7 am those same exact symptoms happennd. Must be a kidney\y deal or ??? I'm afraid to have one drink now.
can sciatica cause chills?
IM A NEWLY GRADUATE GP BUT I GOT THIS CASE WITH PATIENT AND HAD MY INTREST! FOR ALL PEOPLE HAVING CHILLS WE NEED TO DIFFRENTIATE LOT OF THINGS!
1.DO YOU GET FEVER AFTER SOMETIME OF THE CHILS?
     - USUALLY FEVER CHILLS DOESN'T RAISE TEMP OF BODY EXCEPT AFTER SOME TIME LIKE HALF HOUR OR HOUR.
2.HAVE U GOT ANY PREVIOUS INFECTIONS PRIOR TO THE CHILLS?
     -SOMETIMES UR NOT COMPLETELY CURED AND THE FOREIGN BODIES WOULD BE STILL RELEASING TRIGGERING FACTORS FOR CHILLS.
3.HAVE YOU ANY CHANGES IN YOUR MEDICATIONS,DIET OR LIFESTYLE?
    -ALL THESE FACTORS MIGHT HAVE YOUR BODY TO TRIGGER SOME UNEXPLAINED MECHANISM OF CHILLS.
4.HAVE YOU NOTICED ANY CHANGES IN YOUR BODY WEIGHT TOLERANCE AND SO ON?
    -A BIG NUMBER OF CHILS WITHOUT FEVER MIGHT BE THE CAUSE OF HORMONAL CHANGE (THYROID...)
5.DO YOU FAST HEART BEAT,PALPITATION AND UNEXPLAINED CHEST PAIN?
    -I HAD A CASE OF UNEXPLAINED CHILLS WHICH TURNED TO BE HEART STRUCTURE RELATED AN ECHO CARDIO REVEALED IT.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS: STUDY THE ONSET OF CHILLS TRY TO THINK WHAT ARE THE TRIGGERING AGENTS,FACTORS.YOU NEED TO CONSULT AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST(VERY IMPORTANT), NEUROLOGIST TO RULE POSSIBILITY OF GETTING SEIZURES,CARDIOLOGIST AS I EXPLAINED BEFORE.

HOPE I HAVE HELPED A BIT! HAVE  GOOD DAYS CHILLS FREE!
DR.SAMAH ZEINEDDINE

I've been skin tested and am allergic to just about everything (on the 36 ***** challenge I hit on 30).  I have major depression, anxiety, GERD, IBS, female troubles (had a complete hysterectomy), horrible infected gallbladder c/neck stone, tonscilitis with abscesses, constant colds, infections, etc.  I've been tested for just about everything - all either utterly negative or I come out barely within range.  Four months ago I discontinued all my meds - I was so very sick - incapacitated, what was the use?  After med withdrawal I was feeling great, best in years, except for chills and fire hot sweats... all day, all night... the chills come on and as soon as they pass I burn up unbearably, repeat.  Stress makes it worse.  I was eating really well (I've lost thirty pounds), including things I haven't eaten before (sesame seeds, steel-milled flax seeds, lots of fresh fruits, salads) and I think I triggered my allergies big time.  I got a severe ear infection and was eventually given Keflex (which I've had any number of times before).  In a week I broke out in a drug eruption rash, bad enough that when a dermatologist saw it she gasped.  At a doctor's advice, for a week I had been taking Benedryl (around the clock) for the horrible itching (before I knew it was a drug reaction) and when the dermatologist told me she couldn't treat me until a biopsy came back to confirm drug reaction (it looked like a fungal infection.... alll over my body) I got so upset I had a nervous breakdown - courtesy of the antihisimine.  Now I can't take ANY medicine without rebound headache, bellyache, sore back, wipe-out fatigue, etc.  So, be careful about taking medications with a propensity for allergic reaction now.  Ah, also incredible foot/leg/hip cramps all day and night - finally found a "mega multi mineral" supplement (rice-based) that works if I take it four times a day faithfully.  Also, was x-ray'd in August and the discs in my neck are gone!  I SURE could use some sleep.  Chills and sweats, keep me awake until I'm spent, then wake me repeatedly throughout the night.  And have to urinate every 1-1/2 hours through the night, every half hour through the day.  

Finally, with my allergies like this I'm afraid to eat ANYTHING.  Here's the kicker... I bought apples and pears (which I don't like) because they were about the only fruit I hadn't been eating before everything blew apart.  One apple a day, split and eaten half at a time early and late, seems to moderate the chills/sweat a bit, enough to make a difference.  One pear, split and eaten half at a time before bed and in the morning, seems to reduce the urinary frequency.  Weird, but so far true.  

I never get a little sick, it's always wildly bad.  The worst.  I'm still miserable and battling giving-up thoughts, but hanging in there.  

I'm in the midst of getting blood and urine tests through a nutritionist/biochemist who has personally developed (over a lifetime)  computer programs for going from medical history and symptomology to choice of lab tests to compiling the results to provide recommendations, and have hope there.  The fact that the mineral supplement curbs the terrible, terrible cramps suggests to me I may be paying a price for a life-time of avoiding healthy foods.  
There are way too many people that have this same symptom... but we all seem to have more symptoms, some the same and some different. So here is my question...Does anyone have THESE 3 exact same symptoms...

1. Severe feeling of being cold as the main symptom (when it's not cold in the room and there is NO reason for being cold like just getting out of the shower)
2. Chills, shaking, shivering as the second most severe symptom
3. Joint aches
Also....
4. Always happens between late evening and midnight (ie right before bed)
5. Cold feeling does not subside after putting 2 or more comforters on.
6. Only ends when you eventually fall asleep and then you just feel drained in the morning
7. No anxiety, loss of consciousness or memory, or any other neurological symptoms
8. Doesn't happen very often but has been going on for years
9. Rarely take medication
10. Almost never gets sick
It seems a lot of people has it but that does not tell what is the cause
3. Joint aches
Also....
9. Rarely take medication
10. Almost never gets sick

I have all the symptoms from 1 to 10 happening every night for 40 years.  I get so cold at night, that I can not sleep in bed, without some type of heater near me.  I actually place a small space heater, turned on, in the bed to keep me warm, otherwise I would shiver and shake from the cold chills.  I begin to feel warm when the temperature reaches above 90 degrees F.

I've reported these feelings to doctors for decades and they claim I don't have any abnormal thyroid tests.  This is a horrible feeling but the worst part is that the medical profession in the United States has basically ignored or made fun of our suffering.
The chills started for me at age 59.  I am female with no infection that I am aware of however, the intensity of these bone crushing chills makes me think something is very wrong.  I am a little under weight with a hyper thyroid.  
I've discovered that the chills I experience are directly related to my hot flashes (which are near constant).  It's weird, I know, I can't find anything online about this... but if I eat half an apple I get about five hours of relative relief from the hot flashes.  As soon as this reduced the hot flashes the chills began to subside.  Now I only get these chills (I feel cold to the bone!) if I don't eat the apples and get the hot flashes back full force.  I put a half an apple next to the bed so I can eat it during the night, otherwise the hot flashes and accompanying chills ruin the last half of the night for sleep.  (I am so tired.)  

I saw an endocrinologist last week, the blood tests are Tuesday.  Then I don't see him until mid-November.  I'll keep you posted.  

Katrinika
37 year old male had a bad episode last night. I suffer as well. chills that last from minutes to hours, shaking body, chattering teeth. aches all over body today.have suffered for years here and there.I worked with solevents and glues "always in open air" years ago and sometimes swear I can smell them during siezure type episodes. also my wife smokes outdoors and form time to time we might kiss afterward or I will get smoke blown my way could I have withdrawls from second hand smoke or minimal nicotine exposure. no ryhme or reason that I can pin point.feeling fine then bam !!! here come the chills.
My chills came because of very frequent hot flashes.  I've been reading up on hot flashes - the primary component of a hot flash is a rush of adrenaline.  Maybe those of you who suffer chills as the only symptom should have your adrenals checked.  At least, if you go to the doctor/emergency room about the chills, have them test your adrenal hormone (corticosteroid?) levels.  

Just an idea, where so few are available.  
Veeery cold , specially in my back, NO FEVER , and have been  less energetic  and tired, however, I have been pushing myself to go to the gym everyday ,blood tests all okey, I have been wrapped in sweaters , blankets, socks, caps, scarfs, you name it, being in bed all covered up has not warmed me up... this has been going on for more than a week....After analyzing my body  I have come to the conclusion it might be a Virus of some sort, however after having: 3, (THREE)   VItamin "B" Complex Injections, one per day... I am almost normal... after 4 days  I still have a slight cold back but dont need as many sweaters...and am almost back to normal.... And I must say I have been a Hashimoto Syndrome patient for a few years ( it is a thyroid disfunction) but I frankly do not think it is the cause of these chills and coldness.... Hope this info may help some of u out there....  , I am a woman in her fifties, Bless you all

PD... COMPLEX B SOLUTIONS (VIT B1, B6, AND B12) :Aside from their use in vitamin B body deficiencies, they also are used as antineuralgics and antineuritics, Stress situations and many other deficiencies....

Ok...I will try to encapsulate what I have discovered so far....Please share it with others as this is the stuff they just don't tell you in the doctors office. HIPPA hasn't helped us either.

1. A thyroid lab will only be interpreted as a diagnosis if you are so far out of range that it is blatantly obvious there is a problem.

2. If your doc is running a TSH level only FIND A NEW DOC!

3. In current western clinical medicine a diagnosis constitutes an obligation to treat, so diagnosis is based upon a very narrow window of test criteria which completely leaves out both the individuality of each patient and the actual etiology (root cause) of the symptoms, disregarding them as nothing. Lab ranges are standardized to create uniformity between labs not for the patient.

EXAMPLE: If your TSH is within normal range (each lab is different), and you have an elevated FREE T4 and a Decreased FREE T3, you are not converting tetraiodothyronine to tryodothyronine in the body which is the active thyroid hormone thyroxine. The body will then stimulate the thyroid to try to maintain balance by juicing you with TSH which shows as a normal thyroid test.

The moral of this story is that if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it is probably a duck, regardless of the TSH result. You can have "lab normal" TSH T4 and T3 and still have thyroid disease.

Medicine is a PRACTICE not an art. Doctors (particularly western endocrine docs) are not diagnosing thyroid in spite of its growing prevalence in our country due to eating habits (especially non-iodized sea salt). If it goes long enough without EFFECTIVE treatment it can be life threatening in the form of organ damage, heart disease and MI, adrenal exhaustion, and others. In some cases this is as simple as iodine, choline, tyrosine, iron and selenium deficiencies as a causative factor.

If you can find an integrated medicine doc who is naturopathically oriented (i.e. looks at dysfunction rather than end stage disease treatment but is an M.D.) you will be in a much better place. I am not a doctor and can't give medical advice but I can tell you from the trenches, after 30+ years without diagnosis or treatment, kidney damage, heart disease with heart attack and 2 heart surgeries, severe muscle pain and chills, lack of ability to sleep, and adrenal insufficiency (which allopathic medicine doesn't acknowledge or treat until it is end stage Addison's disease) it truly IS a is a matter of life or death.

I am now sporting a body temp of 96-97 degrees (basal thermometer), enlarged thyroid 30+ years,muscle pain so bad I can hardly walk or use my hands, and 4 nodules on my thyroids as well as a tumor on my parathyroid (just diagnosed last thursday after 5 years of screaming to find someone who would write the order for the ultrasound of the glands). NO X RAYS PLEASE AS THIS KILLS THYROID FUNCTION.

If you understand that clinical endocrinology will not acknowledge that you might have a thyroid issue or that your own TSH normal might be at the top of the lab range where they refuse to go, or even that your answer might be treatment with a glandular thyroid hormone rather than a synthetic pharma product, you are already ahead of the game. While many illnesses can have similar symptoms, the way in which thyroid is treated OR NOT TREATED in this country is compounding the problem and is an abomination of the idea of Hippocrates to do no harm (which is an oath NOT taken by doctors by the way).  

I wish you luck...you are here, which means you have the ability to play a game my daughter (on thyroid meds NOT WORKING due to clinical protocols) and I call death by google. Start searching for your symptoms, do a buble search by using one word descriptives and the + sign ...i.e. chills+fatigue+muscle pain+weight gain+hair loss+dry skin   etc. Be as complete as you can about your symptoms even if they are not all simultaneous. This is the way docs look at you if they aren't figuring it out. They do not have the benefit or wisdom of your experience. You are your own best advocate and if you truly feel it is a specific issue such as thyroid hold your ground. Always remember that docs are people too. They are not infallible and function (practice) at the level of the culture they are raised in. If a doc is trained about a drug and the training is coming from the drug company (conflict of interest), the doctor's knowledge of side effects, or actual efficacy of the drug is skewed. HOLD YOUR DOCTOR ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR KNOWLEDGE. Most clinical docs are lucky if they take one semester of nutrition class and it is questionable whether they actually know about the production of hormones or they don't treat due to it being outside their field of expertise.My own doc would prescribe Zpacs for pneumonis several times a year while never telling me about the advantages of using a netti pot...huh...The same applies to labs. Normal ranges apply to a very small demographic of patients and are primarily established for the purpose of uniformity of laboratories.  A NORMAL LAB DOES NOT MEAN THAT NOTHING IS WRONG, it is simply a snapshot of the moment and does not show what the body is doing to compensate for abnormal function. However; a good doc who did his bio chem and physiology should understand the problem. Most of them do not treat it correctly even when they see it. They will dose T4 (Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) or Synthroid to "fool" the body into lowering TSH levels into the low normal range. This does not address the issues of whether you make enough T3 (Cytomel or Armour which provides T4 and T3) which your body needs for homeostatis (balance).

If you are interviewing a doc ask how they treat Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism (which is different) and see if they fall into the "Lab dependent" category. If they do RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. The most prominent marker for an integrated doc is that they don"t take insurance (they spend time with you instead).

After three decades of being told I was a panic stricken anxiety prone woman who needed meds I have finally learned that if you go to a used car salesman you get a used car. If you go to an allopathic rather than an integrated medicine doc you will get a physician who will monitor you ($$$) Practice on you ($$$) and then finally diagnose you when it is too late. The amount of money you spend is the same, the only difference is whether you will survive the practice. If the doc is not actively seeking ETIOLOGY (root cause of the illness/problem) you don't want them.

sorry this post is so lengthy, hope it helps,

blessings
I am a 48year old woman.  I have been getting this 'really cold, chill with goose bumps' for over one month now.  It doesn't come regularly - sometimes it lasts for a whole day and other times it comes at night.  I am on HRT (though I have one ovary) and Liptor (liptor) (statin for low cholestorol).  I also suffer with joint pains in my lower back, hip, right arm and neck. In fact the whole of my right side is extremely painful.  My right foot is constantly swollen and more so at the end of the day I have had several MRI scans and XRays for my back and neck.  All they have found is some degeneration.  I have had injections etc.  My recent visit to the neurologist found that my platelets and folage were low and my B12 is above normal.  I am not sure what is going on but do know that I am at the end of my tether.  What should I do? Please help me.
My husband had a stroke Jan. '09. He is right side weak: no use of arm and uses a hemi-walker, has expressive aphasia. He has experienced chills, clammy sweats, goose bumps, pain on his right side, no fever at least five times in the last month or so. His doctor sent him to the hospital. We have found nothing so far after ultrasound, x-Ray, blood and urine test/culture. Now awaiting schedule for a c-scan. Very frustrated as communication is difficult with his expressive aphasia. His chills are so bad, shaking uncontrollably, and then he sleeps for long periods of time and is wiped out for days. Wish there was a diagnosis. It's very frustrating going through this with him. He takes meeds because of the stroke(celexa, keppra, flexeril, simvastatin, Bayer aspirin, prilosec OTC, norco.  
I have experienced this chill as well.  I have a good idea what is going on in most cases. Herxheimer's syndrome is what happens when bacteria and virus die off too quickly in the body.  I know this because I have experimented with IV silver protein (MSP).  The main symptom is chill beyond belief.  Now sometimes I get this chill on it's own without taking anything that kills bacteria, fungus and virus.  It feels the same as when I have used powerful anti biotic meds or nutraceuticals, only more mild.  However, the other night I had sever chills for no reason.  The herxheimer's chills happen in both cases without fever.  I think we are always fighting off microbes and some of us have developed a sensitivity to mild die off of pathogens.  Also, sometimes season change, hormones and just having been subject to cooler temps will put that bone chill on us and we are just not able to shake it.  I would bet that herxheimers play a role in many of these cases.  If so, the good news is that your immune system is working.  Please, this is all my speculation and I am not diagnosing.  Hope this is helpful
learned a few things regarding my chills. I stay low on Carbs, sugar, coffee, soda. it lessens the severity of my chills.

hope this will help to others...
I wrote earlier about the correlation between menopausal hot flashes (with their adrenaline surge) and the chills that I was experiencing.  Well, my endocrinologist just administered a test that evaluates the adrenal glands' ability to respond to stimulus from the pituitary (called a cortrosyn stim test).  Within twenty minutes of getting the injection the chills hit big time.  I personally suspect that there is an adrenal gland dysfunction at base of the chills/no fever.  (My test results showed my cortisol in the basement with little elevation as a result of the stimulus - adrenal insufficiency he called it.)
Hello, I agree with bennu about the doctors and have had quite a bit of trouble myself with a lot of doctors and specialists as I am on my 5th one now in 6 months (that’s what happens with the horrible medical establishment that starts with a “K”), I believe I can add some more useful information to this posting that would be beneficial as I have learned a lot myself (researching, reading books and googling) over this time. I will also try to condense this as much as possible but I think it’s important you see the flow of events so it makes more sense. I solve problems for a living so deductive reasoning is my friend.

Here are my main points if you don’t care to read all the details below these bullets:
* I think a lot of these problems are either caused by or compounded by bacterial and/or yeast overgrowth in your intestines, many doctors will not even check for this problem and frankly snicker at the idea

* Please stay away from PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors, i.e. Prilosec) and H2 Blockers (i.e. Pepcid), these medications turn off or diminish acid in your stomach which allows a breeding ground for bacteria to grow in your intestinal tract that would normally be destroyed by acid. Try other solutions, Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Calcium, reducing stress, etc…  Or better yet, have the doctors actually run a test to see if you have excessive stomach acid (most people over 40 actually have less stomach acid then when they were younger), most doctors will not and just blindly prescribe the meds, this happened to me.

* Bacterial and Yeast overgrowth is just starting to be understood and addressed. When these their levels get too high they can leave the intestines (google “leaky gut syndrome”) and enter other tissues where they spread and wreak havoc. They live and die dumping toxins into your cells or your body attacks them and also attacks itself in the process leading to over 50 different and terrible symptoms that mimic other diseases.

* Order an ADST (Advanced Diagnostic Stool Test) to check for Bacterial Overgrowth as it can really damage your body as it did mine, it’s not cheap but is your health worth it? I am trying not to sounds like a sales guy here but my test really helped me and was the ONLY one to show something wrong after over 30 blood tests, x-rays, 5 CT scans, 2 MRIs, EKGs, Ultrasounds, 2 Upper Endoscopies turned up nothing, or as they say “unremarkable”.

* I really like this article, even though it centers on autistic children, it is chalked full of information: http://overcomingcandida.com/autism_digestion_101.htm

Here are my gory details….
I am a male in my early 40's and I have similar symptoms with the chills happening for the past 3 weeks now. My other problems, not limited to GI, neuropathy, numbness, Gerd (which I thought was heart related), joint aches and, muscle aches have been going on since May of this year. I have had so many tests during this time it has been sickening.

Since quite a bit of us have some GI problems in one form or another, this leads me to think this is GI related, particularly bacterial. Let me explain through my experience.
I was extremely healthy before May, never had allergic reaction and no other major illnesses. I ended up with Pneumonia that month and was treated with Zithromax which I had an allergic reaction to then was given steroids (Prednisone).  Both of these wiped out the flora in my intestinal tract as I had diarrhea every day and was never told about probiotics and how I should have taken them during the treatment.
From this point, my health went steadily downhill until now.

From everything I have read, these 2 (Antibiotics and Steroids) are the “double whammy” when it comes to killing your gut. Soon after the “double whammy”, I got the worse stomach flu and then 3 weeks of constipation. The antibiotics wrecked my stomach which then led to chest pains which I thought was a heart issue because I never had it before, this led to pepcid and a lot of stress tests and CT scans.  

What ultimately happened were the Antibiotics and the Steroids killed off the good bacteria and allowed the bad bacteria to take over and grow like crazy in my weakened system. The Prilosec made this condition far worse reducing the stomach acid to a level so low that the bacteria flourished even more and also prevented my food from being digested. This all compounded and led to malnourishment and my loss of 25 pounds and stool that came out rigid without the need for toilet paper.

I was prescribed 2 (Flagyl and Bactrim) antibiotics to kill off the bacteria but couldn’t handle it as the die off from the bacteria and the upset stomach was killing me. I tried one antibiotic, Bactrim and survived the 10 days which I feel somewhat better but this may not have been enough to kill them off completely as they recommend 2 antibiotics in tandem to get rid of Klebsiella. I have read where some people try for years to get rid of these little B@st@rds!

I finally stopped the pepcid for a week now (no prescription meds) still have some GERD but close to the levels with the meds and the numbness in my hands is starting to go away, vision is better, pressure in back is not as bad and I am gaining some weight back so I ordered another test to show just what my bacteria levels are at which only costs $100.00, and am waiting for the results.

I take specific supplements now and eat healthy and hope my system will return to normal soon. I will keep you posted about any more information I find as I really think this information might lead you in new directions and maybe allow you to get your health back or at least be healther.
I think that everybody with chills without fever should make kidneys and liver tests
I have been through the mill you've been through, except nobody told me about diet, bacteria, yeast, etc.  Thank you for the info about the ADST and I will check out the candida website.  

But you left out one very important part.  Not only will doctors fail to tell you that their medications are going to destroy your system, if there is a natural way of treating the problem, one that works BETTER than a prescription, they won't tell you.  A) They probably don't know about it, any more than they know what the full effects of the medications they prescribe, and B) Even if they know about the natural treatment, there's no possibility that they can get a financial kickback if you buy the natural treatment.  

Case in point, fresh raw garlic is a fabulous antibiotic.  It stings at first, and it stinks, but it works amazingly well... just try it- a slice of raw garlic wrapped in a bit of gauze placed between the lip and gum over a tooth abscess, within 45 minutes the pain will be gone, with repeated application so will the infection.  Your dentist will NEVER tell you about that one.  

If you want your eyes opened, visit www.naturalnews.com .  If you use Facebook you can "like" their page and you will get regular updates to your home page.  Also www.earthclinic.com, just amazing what natural substances can do!  

I am using regular doctors (M.D.'s are allopathic physicians) as little as possible now.  I can't afford an N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor) so I'm getting my information online, it's easy to find but you have to use your own common sense and do a lot of research before your act.  (Case in point, I didn't read the bottle and used grapefruit seed extract - a natural anti-bacterial/anti-fungal alkalai - full-strength in a politice over an abscess tooth and burned my mouth - the bottle said don't use it full strength in the mouth but at 3am and in great pain I short-cutted the recommendations I found online and I didn't read the bottle.)  Also, natural rememidies in the health food store can be very expensive, so look at the ingredients and see if you can make it yourself using the raw materials - for example, instead of clove oil or extract for tooth pain, get ground cloves and mix with your choice of oil or a little edible alcohol - all easy to find and cheap. Furthermore, if you look closely at the healthfood store you may find that they sell herbs and spices in bulk.  What costs $5 in a glass bottle may be way more than you need and the amount you need in a platic bag may cost only 35 cents.  

I can take ordinary codeine (a controlled substance requiring a prescription - such as Tylenol3), but synthetic codeine (Vicodin and others) give me migraine headaches when they wear off.  I'm finding this to be true of other synthetic medicines.  

The female homones that have caused such controversy... the only way the pharmaceutical companies could patent them was by coming up with a molecule that wasn't natural to the human body.  So all those hormone prescriptions were based on pregant female horse urine... now they're trying to enter the bio-identical hormone market by transmuting natural substances (wild yams, for instance) into molecules identical to horse homones -- in other words, they'll call them "natural" (not "bio-identical") and continue to sell their cancer-causing poison.  Interesting, huh?

I'm really new to this, but I think it's the medicine of the future.  It was the medicine of the past before pharmaceutical companies started getting patents and got the M.D.s in their pockets.  (It really got its boost from penicillin, when they figured out ways to make synthetic penicillins they could patent.)

There's a reason why people who eat highly spiced foods have good teeth and don't get sick as often - it's in the spices.  There's a reason why people (most of the world) who poop in a squatting position don't have colon cancer and other digestive ailments (I just got a LifeStep - worth every penny).  

It's time we took our healthcare back from the pharmaceutical companies and their insurance company and M.D. puppets.  That time is now.  
Hi I am experiencing the same thing.  Unexplained chills.   First time I went to the ER (about 4 weeks ago MD  told me I was coming down with the flu got chest ex-ray which came back normal  and was precribed Motrin.    But i still am having the chills on and off. I had them this AM went away after a  very long time and  the chills are coming back.
Other times I just get the goose bumps with no chills. I went to my MD yesterday and he said it was probably my hormones and ordered some more blood tests.  WIll let you know what happens..
For the first time in 87 years, have this unexplained episodes of chills that last about 15 seconds. No goosebumps,
no pain, just realization that this is out of the ordinary and not due to any external conditions. I seem to attribute it to my nervous system and some sort of inbalance. Anybody else belong to the club?
Unexplained chills... cortisol and other hormones... mark my words.
I, too have been suffering of late with night chills and now day chills with no fever. I'm post-menapausal, eat well but here's my thinking...as far fetched as it may sound I can't help but wonder, with all the secret governmental experimentation such as Chemtrails, the USDA finally admitting that they're diliberately killing birds to help the farmers in the mid-west and God knows what other "testing" is going on in our atmosphere, "WE" may be suffering these unexplained symptoms as a result. I'm not big into conspiracy theories, however, after reading all the postings and keeping apprised of what's going on in the world with birds, fish, crabs, octypus and now cattle dying, can't help but wonder what adverse effects are being felt by humans. These strange reactions may be a direct result of such covert testing and diliberate murders of other species.  Remember how coal miners would have a canary with them underground to keep track of the air quality, well, with all the birds dying in such massive numbers all over the planet....well, you see where I'm heading with this possibility. Just a thought. Weigh in.
Hello all of you who are chilled to the bone like myself!! As I type this, my face is flushed and hot, my fingers are very cold, and I am just coming out of a shivering cold spell. I want to tell you that I feel like I have had some answers regarding this condition for awhile, but the resolution is very difficult to adhere to. I'll explain.

I have mild fibromyalgia, some anxiety issues, am overweight, get blurry vision after eating/drinking too much sugar, have joint and general muscle pain everyday, and get severe chills almost every night, my hair falls out quite a bit, I have dandruff, occassion abdominal pain..the list goes on and on!!

Now, let me get to what I feel the "answer" to this problem is. The condition is called Candidiasis (candida albicans). I am going to post a web address that you MUST read!! Read through ALL of the categories such as: What is Candida? Candida symptoms Candida Treatment Options. The information might lead you to believe that this affects women only, but it is NOT gender specific. This is a condition that can occur as a result of a diet too high in sugar/simple carbohydrates for a prolonged period, taking antiobiotics infrequently, but worse when taken frequently, taking the birth control pill EVER. If you've done one or more of these things....chances are you're having issues with candida.

The website that just might change your life is http://www.candida-yeast-explained.com. Gosh, I hope this helps just one person out there!! This has given me the resolve to work hard at changing the way I eat, so I can get rid of this once and for all!!
It's me again:) I forgot to mention that a doctor can test for candida albicans, aka, yeast in your blood and stools. There is a saliva test you can do on your own as well. You can "google" all of this info. Another tidbit of great info, raw virgin coconut oil is antibacterial, anti-microbial & anti-viral and helps to kills candida albicans. I have a big tub of this in my kitchen. The problem is I don't take it consistently enough and I have a difficult time staying away from sugar and carbs!! Please do your own research on raw virgin coconut oil. It is fascinating!!
When this started happening to me, before any internet research, or even
examining forums such as this one, I did not know this affected anyone else.
I could only explain them to myself as "reverse hot flashes".  Women can
be in a house with a broken furnace in wintertime, actually be cold, but,due
to menopause, still feel heat-flushed on some part of their body, although
all external environmental stimuli fight against feeling warm in any way.
For me, it was always while I was dreaming.  The furnace would be at 22
degrees, and I would be under 5 blankets.  While in the middle of my dream,
I would be feeling relaxed, and complete-temperature comfortable, and
then my back/spine, starting at the lumbar, and then rising to below my
shoulder blades would actually feel an unjustified sensation of actual cold
like my back alone was in ice-water or something, and I would severely
shiver, and wake up.  But as soon as I returned to the waking world, my
back felt normal, and the fake-cold sensation was gone!  However, when
this was happening to me, it was during a time when I was suffering
chemical-withdrawal from a powerful psychiatric drug.  (Which I had to
come off of from side effects that almost killed me-which the doctors
agreed with, so I'm not some hate-all-med ranting quack)   The conclusion
seems to be that these are brain misfiring nervous system problems that
have yet to be fully understood.  After enough withdrawal time had passed
this particular phenomenon disappeared for me.  Seems still to be a
brain error in nervous sensation interpretation.  I cannot say this with
absolute guarantee.  I claim no special insight, and am not a doctor.  I
just hope this write-up may be of assistance to any one of you, past, or
future.  And if you have more info, even on my experience, please, let
ME know.  I am humble enough to listen to all advice/possibilities.  I
hope you all at some point can find the real explanation, or even help
for your individual circumstances.  I mean, they really affected my sleep
for a few weeks.  It sounds like some of you NEVER get relief.  And to
happen all day must be extremely annoying.  I hope I could help you
guys, and if you can.. help/further educate ME.  Although not suffering
now, I am always curious as to what was really going on during that
time.                             Keep Searching...  Jeremy
I've been getting unexplained chills many years. It comes after a shower if I don't get my clothes on quickly enough and every now n then. I've been trying to find an answer to why I have this forever but..... When a chill spell attacks me, my palms turn purple n I just shiver n shiver n shiver like i'm paralysed n my palms really hurt ( like someone cutting them ) Pl can someone tell me where to go to get help?
I also get chills, it happens when I am stressed.  I don't feel stressed but the things occurring in my life at the time it starts would be considered quite stressfull.  THC has the same effect on me.  I believe the chills are caused by cognitive confusion. Just an inability to understand something that is occuring.
Cortisol?  A saliva cortisol test kit can be kept handy and the specimen taken at the time the chills begin (there's nothing to it, easy).  It's not expensive, relatively speaking... hormone testing by saliva is very accurate and may be covered by your insurance if you have it.
so my fiance has been getting these chills to and it really scares me...i mean no fever but severly cold? blankets dont help. someone really needs to look into this because its worrying me and there has to be something wrong if many people have these episodes. I have faith and hope that its nothing bad and its something that can be stopped.
41 year old male been suffering these symptoms 2-3 times a year since I was a teenager:

Begins with feeling extremely cold (for no reason) out of the blue.  Always late night before bed.
Quickly begin experiencing severe tremors, uncontrollable shaking, teeth chattering.
Almost no amount of blankets / heat help.
Lasts usually for 10 minutes to 20 minutes.  Worst one ever might have been an hour.
When they subside, everything is fine but with some fatigue from the intense shaking.

It doesn't occur that often or for very long for me but I always thought it was strange and as I'm getting older I started becoming more curious as to what could be causing them.

I told my doctor about them, he took some fairly extensive tests, bloodwork, etc which showed nothing.  He suggested going to the hospital to get bloodwork performed while I'm experiencing the symptoms but since they always occur randomly late at night and usually only last 10 minutes or so it doesn't seem feasable to accomplish that.

I've tried for years to link the occurences to something in my diet or physical activities but had no luck.  I do feel slightly more vulnerable to experiencing them if I'm already fatigued, been drinking, or recovering from a cold.  But I also experience them when none of the above applies.

I don't really suffer from any chronic health conditions and am a relatively healthy, active person.  I do suffer from back pain when I over exert myself and have frequent heartburn to the point of always carrying TUMS with me but don't really see how either of those could be related.

Thanks to all the others posting here though I don't feel so crazy!  :P

A genuine root cause of these episodes sure would be cool though.
I'm thinking this is some kind of strange flu or bug or whatever.  About 2 weeks ago, my husband was complaining he was freezing and couldn't get warm.  I thought nothing of it since he works outside and it's cold here.  But he was piling on blankets, taking hot showers and hot baths just to get warm.  He was like that for a couple of days.  Didn't realize how bad he was then, till I got it yesterday.  I was freezing to a point my lips were blue and my joints were aching something horrible.  I took some over the counter medicine for fever (which I was not registering a fever) and body aches and piled a bunch of blankets on me.  By the middle of the night, I was sweating from all the blankets.  I still feel a little achy today, but the freezing feeling is gone.  I'm thinking it's a bug, since we both got it.
I have to update my last post, as the day goes on I'm starting to feel like I'm freezing again.  I'm not sure if that's why I have a headache also.  But my legs and my hands are really achy.  I'm still thinking it's some kind of bug.
I have this too. It is beyond horrible. It started after we had an E coli scare in our water source. Our city's water and comes from a groundwater source and they say it is not treated. However when this E coli scare happened the entire city was without water for a week while the wells were drained and disinfected. There was talk about adding chlorine to our water after this, but we never heard if it happened or not, however they did use chlorine to disinfect the wells. Within a week of the boil water being lifted and we were able to drink the water, I started with these horrible bone achy chills, muscle cramps and fatigue. It's been several months since and these episodes are a regular occurrence now. I understand that mild poisoning from both chlorine and fluoride can cause these and other symptoms. I would be interested in knowing the water situation of those suffering with these symptoms. By the way I do not have any major illnesses and am not taking any medications and have a very healthy diet and work out regularly. Just a side not about the medical system here in Canada, it is not all that it is made out to be. We do NOT have adequate medical care here at all. Our doctors are overworked, and underpaid, the wait lists for procedures, surgeries and medical tests are 1-3 yrs long, people are dying on wait lists regularly. Our system is the extreme opposite of the user pay system in the US, and most Canadians will agree it sure does not make it better by any stretch of the imagination. We pay monthly premiums for health care, but this does not mean we are even getting adequate health care. The grass isn't greener over here that is for sure.
So many people are experiencing the same problems, that I currently believe we all have some kind of toxic viral problem or pituitary gland disorder or a combination of the two.  I never get warm and I continually have a lower than normal body temperature.  Thyroid tests come back normal every time.  I believe the only way we are going to get to the bottom of these symptoms is to find a medical professional who wants to conduct a group study in order to isolate the origin of this disease or disfunction.
I agree with raraavis126's comments that you should have a complete CBC, Liver and Kidney tests. I know my liver tests were slightly elevated in the past when I really felt bad and lost the weight, they have since returned to normal.

In all the reading I have done, I have learned that the Liver controls blood flow to organs and extremities, controls hormones and so much more. It is vital for your livelihood!

Here is an update on my condition. Currently I am still seeing some new specialists but they have not found anything yet, which is a good thing but I would still like to know the cause.

Currently, exercise and an alkaline diet seem to be helping me the most. The exercise gets my blood flowing and I always feel better even though my muscles and joints tend to ache, but I do it anyway because the overall body feeling is better. I also avoid greasy food as I found that French fries or any deep fried foods tend to make me feel awful about 2 to 4 hours after eating them.
I am also doing acupuncture which is definitely a weird experience.  The needles can be a bit uncomfortable, but the first time I did it, I slept through the night which was a miracle. The acupuncturist told me she was treating my spleen and liver channels, she also said “less is more” when it comes to taking herbs and supplements, especially when you are trying to heal the liver or other organs. Too much medicine, herbs or supplements can put further stress on these organs so you want to give them a break.

I also cut way down on the supplements I was taking before and only take “Vibrant Health Green Vibrance”. It seems to be helping. I only take half what they recommend so I allow my body to become accustomed to it.

I also think sleep is very, very important. When I was feeling my worst I was lucky to get about 2 hours a night. Try not to stress yourself out thinking about what is wrong with you as this is a vicious cycle that will take you down. Try and be positive (which is not easy, but you have to try) as stress only makes it more difficult for your body to heal.
When I get chills or feel cold, I will use a heating pad with vibration on the back or will take a bath with Epson salts for 20 minutes, I usually feel better afterwards.
I am a 59 year old female that first had symptoms at age 57, unexplained chills mostly at night being one of the worst. I had multiple thyroid TSH and T4 tests that came back normal. However, at age 58 after a cat scan of my neck for neck pain, it was noted in the radiologist report that my thyroid didn't look normal. My doctor then did a thyroid ultrasound which had results of abnormal texture of thyroid. Then my doctor did a THYROID ANTIBODIES TEST and it came back positive indicating I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which would eventually result in hypothyroid results in TSH and T4 tests, as well as the disease would eventually destroy the thyroid completely. Treatment with low dose  thyroid hormone replacement began and alleviated a lot of my symptoms but I still get those darn chills. I'm wondering if something else is going on or if it's just part of my thyroid disease, and that maybe I'm stuck with that symptom for the rest of my life.
I've been going through the comments trying to get some kind of easy explanation for my symptoms, but it seems as though no one gets an easy answer. I also have severe cold chills, that do not seem to be associated with anything, my body will be very hot to the touch but no fever, and when its all done I get extremely tired. That part didn't bother so much as what happened a few days ago.
The severe neck pain and chills started as usual, so I grabbed a few blankets and turned on a movie, however I became disorientated. I was unable to speak, I had conversations with my 12 year old son, and he got really upset and he began to call my friends, I began talking incoherently to them, and I don't remember any of this. A friend of mine drove me to the doctors the next day where I was still half conscious, and still not able to turn my neck, he loaded me up with fluids, said I had no fever but its probably still the flu (test came back negative for flu), however the IV fluids didn't seem to work. On the third day I began to have a better grasp on reality. For the past few nights I have drenched my bed in sweat, still have never ran a fever. I am a 29 y/o female who's been diagnosed with tension headaches a few years ago. I am just not sure what I need to do to ensure this never happens again. I didn't like have my 4 small children in that situation (husband is deployed to Afgh. right now otherwise I wouldn't be so worried), it really scared them as well as me.
I have had chills and low blood pressure events about 4 times in my 48 years. Doctors have not been any help.
My thoughts are that I am having a vasovagal reaction, also known as syncope, or plain old fainting. But I do not faint.

I know this won't work for everybody, but when these events happen, the chills recede when I recline and elevate my feet, which is the standard practice for those who faint.

There are many triggers that cause these types of reactions, and in point of fact there is no real danger associated with them, because I do not faint and am not in danger of hitting something when falling.

For many people, these attacks can come in clusters throughout life. Now I know what to watch for and how to handle these chills, I hope this can help somebody else.

You have hit the nails on their heads. We have an integrative doctor here in Santa Barbara who is a real person, not a demi-god. He does the saliva tests, listen to us with great care and even goes with our suggestions. After 67 years of a very low temp. with cold chills and "normal" thyroid tests, I am finally on meds that boost my thyroid function. He also has me on Iodine capsules. Now my husband has cold chills and fatigue. This after a Dec.,2010  intestinal semi-blockage that put him in bed for 3 days. Thanks for all your good advice. Hope your health improves. Lucy
IHas anyone had a Lymes test? I had at least 3 that came back negative. I saw 44 drs. that didn't know what was wrong. I did have an elevated ESRI finally found a dr that knew something about Lymes. I was told that taking antiflammatories can give you a false positive also, the spirochete cycles and therefore isn"t always in the blood. When I got my positive test, I had  the 2nd highest titer he had ever seen. I was on antibiotics for 4 years (iv and double dose oral).        He said that when a patient presents with symptoms and usual tests come back negative a Lymes test should be done. Specifically an ELYSIA test which is more sensitive and you should be off antiflammatories. Lymes symptoms vary with individuals and no two present exactly alike but certain symptoms are common...chills, headache,fatigue....

husband could have lymes.don 't need to see a tick or have a rash.should have an Elysia test done followed by a western blot. most likely other tests wiil come back negative.  the lymes test may be negative too. best to look for a doctor who has some knowledge of this disease and will treatwithout a positive test.this is what makes lymes so frustrating.
Anybody experience in this female in mid 40s?? Menopause maybe?
Anyone here female in their mid forties? Menopause perhaps?
I found a very good chiropractor and I noticed a difference after my first round of treatments with him. I continue to get monthly maintenance adjustments and I haven't had any symptoms since. Everything connects to the spine. It is always amazing to me how insurance limits the medical treatment that helps the most...keeping your spine aligned and healthy!
I had them bad... buried under covers and chilled to the bone, couldn't get warm.  I quit getting them when I started addressing low cortisol issues (and then began bio-identical hormones for menopause).  I always got them just before a hot flash... I discovered the cortisol lnk when I read that one of the first elements of a hot flash is a rush of cortisol.  I am taking acupuncture and herbs now and hope to discontinue the bio-identical hormones soon.
I have been negative for Lyme twice, have had all the symptoms was bitten by a tick 20 years ago,I just put up with it now I get flares and rest of the time I am okay, recently had a flare' and I had the chills then .in the night, nasty hip /lower back aches and pains , I am allergic to everything ,it seems .I find taking supplements  hard,as I get a reaction, also if I drink a glass of wine .Recently had a huge skin reaction to a drug the Doc gave me called metformin, I am not diabetic but sugar level  than it should be , she gave me metforin for pre diabetes I took it for 4 days then  I had an allergy reaction a really bad rash /hives .on my arms...Now she scared to give me anything ..lol  
i never thought i'd hear/ find that theres so many others like me. I've felt the chills about 5 years ago and i hate it. Especially when its summer and im still feeling them. i dont know what to about them. sometimes when i really think about it, it scares me. I've discussed it with my younger sister....she stated maybe all the people who have that are probably heartbeating vampires...thats why you feel cold.  i laughed about.   does anyone have any suggestions?
Hi, just wondering if any of you also end up very slightly numb in the extremities as a result of the chills? I am ok through summer but all of autumn, winter and spring is hell, I am always cold. Have thought of moving to the tropics.
Its been going on for a bout a year now and no one can find out why even though I have had many tests. My worry is the numbness which is slowly getting worse. These symptoms are not researched well and there doesn't seem to be any set methodologies for diagnosing the chills and neuropathology. I guess I could point to many factors that could have caused it but they are all so sketchy and cannot be undone easily.
Its been two days that during my sleep I get really cold and experience chills. During the above I have two thick blanquets over and I can't explain why im soo cold and experiencing chills.
This happens to me at least once a month.  I have kidney stones and it seems that every time I have a really busy day and forget to drink a significant amount of water, the next day I wake up feeling achy.  Before long I have horrible chills and my joints really ach along with my lower back.  I don't know if it is the kidney stones or just dehydration but as soon as I start drinking A LOT of fluids and it starts to pass through me, my very low grade fever seems to break and I start to sweat, then I get much better.  Usually it doesn't start to get better until I drink atleast 4 or 5 - 12 oz cups of water, herb tea or the like.  I have figured out that when it happens I can't drink caffein.  You would think  I would learn not to let myself get dehydrated, but apparently I am a slow learner.

Anyway...hope this helps.  It definitely couldn't hurt to start drinking a lot of water if you are feeling this way just to rule out dehydration.
Hello everyone. Eye've been reading this forum with interest. I've been having these chills also [started 12 /2010].If I layer my clothing up I'm was still cold but also sweating at the same time. My doctor did everything everybody elses doctor tested with no results and he said he did'nt know what was the problem.[ honest at least] I noticed that when I sat in my chair at work[ slouching and putting pressure on my shoulder blades] that I could simulate the chills.I decide to go see my chiropractor[ had'nt visited him in 10 years] told him my story, he started doing his stuff. After a few visits he started massaging my spine with a vibrating massager about the size of a sanding machine from the lower back up to my neck. I yelled  yikes everytime he passed over my upper back ,then told him he was really activating my chills . He said my neck and upper back were out of whack with c4[a neck bone ]in particular. I saw him wednesday morning and yesterday was the first day since dec that I did'nt have chills. Today they are back but very much reduced. I think he's onto something  here, he says it may take a while to get rid of the chills altogether. I'm down to seeing him once /week now[ only been going for 2 months] I will update everyonce in a while.
ps  on the spine chart on his wall it says for c4 thyriod and feelings of being cold, HHHHMMMMMM!
With a weakened immune system, I often get a sudden chill that quickly escalates to shaking and cold, spreading over my shoulders and chest.
My extremities become blue and layers of clothing have little effect.
Paracetamol always works, but takes 60 minutes or so, for the shaking, teeth chattering, etc, to subside and then there is a several hour period of feeling very hot, often with sweating.
Oddly, at the onset of the chill, my temp falls to 33/34 deg.
I get these chills once in awhile before I fall asleep, but tonight it was unbearable!  Reading everyone's comments it's hard to think what it might be. But, when I saw comments regarding the kidneys, I remembered, just before I went to bed last night, I had a few sharp shooting pains in my lower back. It was on the right side, and I felt through my stomach, so I knew it was my kidney.  So it could be possible, fighting off some kidney infection causes these chills.  I don't have medical insurance right now, so I have to be my own doctor. I know pomegranate juice has been a remedy in my family for centuries, and works great for kidney and blood issues.  Will keep you all posted and thanks for all of your posts!
I experienced chill at night for about 2 years. I was not cold but feel chill from bones and then I might feel extremely hot without changing anything. The good news is that all these seems to go away with my treament for hypothyroidism. I hope my case could be helpful for you in seeking answer.
You could have hypothyroidism even your TSH is normal. I have normal TSH and T4 level, but my T3 is low due to Vitamin D deficiency. I took Vitamin D with T3 and my life has been totally changed. Usually, family doctor only check your TSH. For those we have normal TSH, I suggest look at your lab test results and see if you have your T4 and T3 tested. Vitamin D is critical in activating hormones.
Reading everyones stories gives me hope something can be found. way too common. Anyways Ive had this random chills going on 10 years now. 42 year old male. I live in Phoenix and it could be 115 degrees in the middle of summer, and my chills can be unbearable! Everything is normal when my symptoms suddenly erupt. My "event", which lasts between 3-8 hours, goes like this:

1st- I have a sudden urge to stretch. Not your morning wake up stretch, but a full blown body stretch. Arms, legs...etc. This goes on for about 15 minutes. These stretches feel great!!

2nd- After the urge to stretch ends, the chills begin. Starts off as mild chills, then quickly progresses to violent, uncontrolable shivering and shaking. My entire body shakes, and I can't stop. The chills are overwhelming.

3rd- Intense joint paint throughout my body.

I've found the only way to stop my chills is to take a long hot shower. Then jump into bed and eventually fall asleep. I wake the next morning, completely normal as if nothing happened! Strange.

Anyways, I've now recognized the onset. Once i get the sudden urge to stretch...I prevent my self from doing it. It appears the body stretching begins the chill event for my. I control that, Im ok.

Still wish I knew whats causing these random sudden chills!!
I have been having constant cold chills in every one of my classes. Even when everyone else is "burning up", I'm freezing to the point I have goose bumps. And I sleep with a thick comforter, but I still have major cold chills.
I have had chills for about 8 months, nothing major enough to seek medical help, but enough to be a pain.   I did notice it started with a tooth abscess that got infected, was treated and had a root canal. Some of you mentioned root canals, maybe something there.

I also drink like a fish, love my booze, but will try stopping to see if it is related. I Noticed that was mentioned too.  Never had that happen though before, been drinking for years.

I just can’t see going to the doctor for this as he will do nothing more than blood work, and I get tested every year anyways. Hang in there people.
3 months ago I was treated for acute broncitis and given a 5 day antibiotic. I am pretty healthy and hardly get sick I am a 51 yr old f. and mabe just starting menapolse. no biggy. 4 nights ago I was extreamly tired with my mom in the hospilial, huricane irene coming closing and bording up my barbershop and my house ect.ect, very very VERY tired.. came home and got in bed at 6:30 pm. about 1:00 am I thought I was dying !!! extreme shaking, neck pain, teeth chattering under 4 heavy blankets in the SUMMER. i hurt to the bone my skin was ice cold i felt like i layed in a snow bank for hrs.very painful to the bone. violent shaking i thought i was having a stroke or something.and i for got to say when i went to bed at 6:30 i was freezing. but buy 1;00 it was 10 times bad.i grabed to more blankets and somewhat went to sleep like that. in the morning 7:00 or so i was so achy and extremely tired went to work and felt tired and achy all day. have not had it return. but i have to say when i get tired i get a little cold and i had been extremely tired when this happened. the next day i came home and sleept from 7-7 and felt alot better. but still havent felt like my self since the broncitis and again feel like i am getting a sore throat. i feel like the antibiotics given for my broncitis was not enough to get rid of it totally and being very stressed and tired may had something to do with it? when i get tired i do get alittle cold but nothing like this.and sorry to say but we have some of the lazyist money minded docters in the world here in the usa,,,,,,,,,havent had it again yet  good luck guys
I can't stand it any longer, I've had these chills for 5 months!  The only time that I do not feel them is when I am either sleeping or jogging.  I sit at work all day long with these chills.  What in the world is happening to my body and why has there been no comment on a remedy?  Could this be a thyroid problem????
OMG it get so cold at  night it happens to me 1 or twice in amonth its horrible  I'm literally freezing I  have to put to thick socks on my feet and 2 jackets  plus blankets over me .  I breath hard  underneath the blankets  to get warm It's not even winter its odd.. I did have thyroid cancer back in 2009 so don't have thyroid..so I'm not sure if that's what causing it..I need to go to my doctor hopefully he will have an answer for me please pray for me its very uncomfortable situation.. I have no fever ,no cold,no sorethroat..its weird.thank you marisol
Check your blood iron levels. My doctor figured out my extreme chills that had plagued me for 20 years was due to this. Now i take iron pills and no more cold chills.
Sounds like you might have LISTERIA. It lists those exact symptoms. Check with your doctor. OMG
There are 2 things going on here: Some people are saying they have a fever with chills. That is bacterial infection. You people need antibiotics.

Then, the other people (women) who have low red blood cell count due to monthly blood loss and low iron (ANEMIA) need to get their blood checked  for this. Also, anyone who has had surgery with blood loss (men or women) can have low iron anemia.

These are 2 separate problems. See your doctor.
I am the "Alcazar" who wrote here in the spring of 2010.  By the spring of 2011 I was cured of my chills and wanted to come back here to say what I believe helped me but could not find the website again until now.  If you read my past posts you will notice that I said I thought my chills might be related to some intestinal difficulties and I still believe that's so.  I noticed that when my stools were thin as a pencil I was most prone to the chills.  I looked this condition up online and saw that more fiber in my diet would help.  It did, but I think it was mostly better nutrition and VITAMINS [I cannpt swallow the big ones with all the minerals but the smaller ones without them worked fine for me].  I put vitamins in caps because I think everybody here suffering from chills who has not been diagnosed with some contributing condition owes it to him or herself to try a daily vitamin and to try to eat better.  Believe me, my chills were BAD and would last for hours.  I also had very bad pains in my legs which also went away once I started to build myself up and made sure I my body got all the vitamins.
Good luck to everyone.
I'm sitting here now with most symptoms mentioned I've not got a temp its been going on three days now I'm getting all flu like symptoms but with out a cough or a runny nose just very severe chills that's painful all over my body please someone help I'm feeling desperate! lucie UK
I suggest you all check out this website: http://www.tomlevymd.com

It has been very helpful to me. The 2 main supplements that seem to be helping are large doses of Sodium Ascorbate Vitamin C and normal doses of N-acetyl cysteine or NAC twice daily. You should read up on these for yourself before taking but both can have benficial health effects when taken together. You also need to determin what dose is right for you, my bowel tolerance is 10,000 MG Vitamin C per day but I have heard of others taking much higher doses depending on their health condition.

Here is a link about how to determin bowel tolerance for vitamin C: http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm

I hope this information helps...
I have this same issue. It happened for the first time after I had my 4 year old. I had a csection and when I got home, I felt a little cold air and my body just starting hurting and I got really cold and couldn't get warm. It lasted about 3-4 hours. It didn't happen again until I had my 20mth old. Same thing......same issue. Now it is starting again but coming more frequently. I do sufffer from low thyriod, low iron, and I am underweight. My blood count is usually always low so I figured that was the problem, but now I have something to call my doctor about.
Hello wow I too have been experiencing this odd happing since i was 15.  I am now 50 and still have it but not so often.  When I was young I would be prefectly fine one moment then the next I would have chills, fever and severe achs.  This would last 24 hrs then poof it was gone.  It is a odd happing.
AJ Greenville SC
Hey everyone. My chills don't sound as painful as some of yours so I feel for you. As for me this is the third time it hits me. I'm a 35yr old male.  Seems like when it gets cold and I'm in and out between cold and warm rooms my body can't regulate. My core temp drops and I start getting massive chills where I'm throwing on layers of sweats and blankets.  I'll fall asleep in chills and 2 hours later wake up drenched in sweat with a slight headache.

What cybervang says makes sense. I don't sleep enough and probably lack a proper nutrition. I'm going to give that a shot. Thanks.
Mostly and most likely caused by an internal bacterial infection. Ladies check for urinal infections, Gents check prostate/intestinal infections. E.coli variants is a common cause of internal infection.
I do the same thing. One of my friends saw me shivering in a heated resteraunt and she got worried. Wish i knew what's wrong.
A white count check or a urine check is done easily enough.  But I felt so ill with my chills that I went to the ER because I wanted to find out or rule out thyroid problems, anemia, infection, or even circulatory issues in my lower extremities because my legs ached so badly, especially at night when I was trying to sleep.  All tests came up negative. but it is necessary to have them to make certain.  I also fell asleep half the time with chills and these never went away day or night without me breaking into a sweat.

I wonder if most of us, especially those of us who live alone, know just how badly we eat and how little nutrition there is in the TV dinners we consume because it is too much bother to cook for just one person.  That was practically what I was living off of--but when I felt so generally ill during the months I experienced the chills, I had trouble getting out and began to get meals on wheels.  These may also not be the best--they sometumes include very fatty desserts but at least they are a cooked meal including all the food groups.  Someone else on this board suggested vitamins and I thought--what do I have to lose?  I should have been on them in the first place.  As I wrote above, the combination of these meals and the vitamins did it--no more chills and aching legs.  Now I get around pretty normally again but I still get the meals brought in three times a week as I hate to cook.  You cannot get by indefinitely by not consuming the vitamins the body needs to remain healthy.  I guess my time ran out when I started with those chills.  I actually thought I was dying--but the solution was really quite simple.
I get the uncontrollable urge to stretch as well.  I will say it is exhausting, trying to not stretch as that causes sever cramps in my feet and ankles.  Not much fun, to say the least.

I have had several surgeries over the last couple years and had all kinds of tests for stiffness in my hands,  I found taking MSM really helps for that, 2,000 mgs x 2 times a day.  

My cortisol levels were 4 times higher than the ND had ever seen before in her life.  All the hormone levels were high, Thyroid tests were normal.

Taking Potassium also helps and if I don't take enough my levels are low normal, and the symptoms get worse. We all need to be very careful of taking too much.

I have a bad neck, like many others have, I need surgery on that as well.  C4-C5 area.  I will try acupuncture and the chiropractor.  It has been a while since I have gone as I have had 2 shoulder surgeries this year.

I have found that the urge to urinate does bring on the hot flash with chills.  I am up all night running to the bathroom in hopes of not getting that urge.  I am taking large doses of B12 and minerals and that does seem to help, but I can't miss a day.  Drinking water also helps.  Staying away from anything that effects the liver, ie: fatty foods, alcohol, spicy foods, etc. also helps.

Lecithin really helps, along with Vit. E, B, and D, I also take herbs for hot flashes and all seem to help.  It seems that when I take daily mineral supplements it really helps with the chills, stretches and cramps in my feet.  I just have not found anything to stop them completely.

Thank you all for your input.  

Thank you all for your input.  

hie i am a 32 yr old woman who experienced the EXACT thing/symptoms as u,the stupid seizures started at 10pm and at 2.52am i had to go to a&e, the triage nurse made fun of me then boom the stupid spasms the had to rush me into resus i was a bit tachyie 140, after 2hrs came out still chills/ tingling in my feet had a nasty headache they gave paracetamol, the jnr doc came to see me did all the test for epileptics, asked about my cough which i have had since sept but no product is coming up and since i am an asthmatic own doc had already arranged for chest x-ray and ct scan due to being a hydrocephalus baby but no shunt, the doc asked me to stand oh dear my feet started trembling then my whole body started going into spasms but all the times i m awake. saw Snr. doc who told me that i was having non e fits, asked me if i was being abused or stressed told the stupid man that the stupid spasms are stressing me out and the chronic cough, the left me at 05hrs i was transferred to another ward where they did my bloods and by then my blood pressure was 159/90. nothing was done saw consultant in the morning who told me that he does not have an answer why it happened, was discharged. saw own g.p 3 dayz later explained what had happened over the weekend, told me that my vitamin d results were back and i ve scored 34 which is insufficient so i need to take supplements which are not on the nhs. wed night i started getting chills from my toes right up to my finger tips i feel cold the feeling is horrible it goes rite through my bone, Thurs nite the same that's when stumbled up on this forum now i know that i m not crazy. the spasms have stopped thank god but my body is covered in bruises
im 11 almost 12 and ive been like this for the past 2 weeks and i cant stand it anymore...it feels like somebody is stabing my right hip,and i have headaches that throb,then i also feel like my hearts pounding sometimes and i my backs been hurting alot too.
You need to completely cleanse your entire body. It's very complex, your body is toxic. Go to the website Hypocrates in West Palm Beach Florida or call them and ask what you should do.
You need to go off all sugar, meat, and white processed refined packaged, boxed foods. Also go and do colonic hydrotherapy. You will cleanse by drinking warm water and lime or lemon in the morning, then raw fruits and vegetables in the afternoon then raw nuts and everything natural for about a week. For carbs you will eat only organic stone ground seed breads, millet or quionai or Kumut, "sorry I am not sure the spellings are correct. Buy a book on a total cleanse. Your body is toxic and you need to clean it out. Yes, you will go to the bathroom alot, however it all needs to come out!
Hope that helps!. Oh! NO more Pop/Soda, Gatorade or sugared drinks and no more artificial sweeteners! Learn more and educate yourself, be your own advocate. Many diseases are caused from highly toxic bodies including cancer, so get started soon! Your body is talking to you.
AprilAnne Arwood
Hi MMMMM toooo :( but the sleep thing so try nightqil . that will help with the sleeping also does your head hurt ? ?? try prilosec (OTC) for the pressure I am no doc. but Lic. PT And care ...:) thanks J
My mother will be thrilled to know I'm not as odd as she thought! =)
There are a few different possible causes I've been given for my 'chilling' out.

1. neurocardiogenic (vasovagal) syncope - fainting or near fainting/dizzy spells; my chills/hot flash, accompanied with dizziness would frequently be alleviated once I laid down and 'chilled' awhile until it passed with a hot flash (or sometimes vice versa, hot before cold); I've had since childhood; diagnosed by a cardiologist in 2004

2. migraine - saw a neurologist and my primary dr for this diagnosis; they believe that some of my chill/sweat dizzy/achy moments (which I have to sleep off) are a type of migraine that is actually related to a seizure

*Cardiologist explained that there is a miscommunication between my brain and my heart to regulate body temp-my heart's restricting blood flow to only my brain, as in survival mode, my limbs and parts of torso are out of luck until brain 'reboots' back to normal; hence the extreme painful shivering-to-the-bone chills, head/body ache, sleeping til I recover, if I get warm enough to sleep! Neurologist prescribed a seizure med that is also good for migraines and it helps the full blown episodes to occur less, but I'm shivering as I type now! I will eventually warm up, it just takes several covers and footies.

3. irritable bowel syndrome - can be brought on by food intolerance/allergy or acid reflux, stress, anxiety, emotions; suffer from constipation, diarrhea or combination of both; I get extreme chill/hot flash after IBS flare where I cannot move for hours, I'm laying in a pool of sweat and freezing at the same time, skin is clammy, I'm 'asleep' but awake til my body regulates my temp; there are variety of meds to help with cramping, bloating, gas, diarrhea, and constipation

4. fibromyalgia - which is a combination of many symptoms, most of which have been mentioned in every past post, including GI issues (IBS, GERD), body/muscle tiredness/aches, sensitivity to temperature, tiredness, weakness, restless, insomnia, not sleeping well, allergies, frequent infections/illnesses, flare of one symptom after an illness or virus, other auto-immune diseases or arthritis is common; this is considered an auto-immune disease that effects the nerves

And of course most blood work will come back normal! Except for maybe the  ESR which tells dr there is inflammation-duh!

I'm a 34 yr old female with lots of medical history, therefore lots of medical info =)
hopefully someone will be able find something useful!

Good luck and God Bless!
You can lie to someone else. That's a tracking ID in that link. Which means you get paid for referrals. It's a shame someone preys on sick people.
I too have had Hypothyroidism since 2007 and diabetes since 2009. The past year I have had these cold chills and no doctor has an explanation. I'm sure it's related to one of the two. Diabetes will play with your nerves. It'll usually start out with cold feet for me. Then I'll wake up and my whole body will be freezing and I shake uncontrollably. Once I get up, it will start easing up in about an hour. I'm having an episode right now.

I wish someone can figure it out. By the size of this thread, it's more of a common occurance than one would think. Yet, you tell a doctor and they look puzzled.
I am a 38 year old pregnant woman and I am experiencing these chills every night as well. I have experienced them one other time in my life and that was when I was off of my anxiety medicine.  It's even more odd to me now because as most pregnant women do, I run very hot all day.  I am currently off of my anxiety medicine again (for the pregnancy) and It is happening every night when I wind down for bed.  I feel so cold that they only thing that will help is a very warm shower.  That often allows me to fall asleep.  However, of I don't get to sleep directly after the shower I have to take another one.  I am treated for high blood pressure so, in my case, it's not from low blood pressure.  I am not experiencing any other cold or flu symptoms. It's very troubling that doctors are not researching this more.
Oh boy, I haven't read all the responses, there are waay too many!!  I hope you will check back on this forum - truthfully, I think a lot of people on this forum have undiagnosed Lyme disease and/or one of the co-infections called Babesia, similar to Malaria - they cause shaking chills and other sx including neck pain, general fatigue, pain everywhere, and a host of other sx.  Pls go to www.lymenet.com and see a list of the sx - there are many, and most people don't ever recall a rash or bite.  I am being treated right now for it and I hope after  many many years of useless chiropracters, acupuncturists, reiki healers, naturopaths, blah blah and tens of thousands of $$ later somebody would have told me about Lyme disease.  Good luck and if I get better I'll definitely write about it!!
I have experienced the same unexplained chills.  Most often happens when I am extremely tired and run-down.  I also found out that my Vitamin D levels were below normal, once my MD prescribed 10,000 units of ergocalciferal, the chills when away.  Something to check into....
Hiya, i dont know if its to late but i know whats happening. Its all to do with your kidneys and urine system, basically when your cold you will experience cold shivers to try and pass some heat around the body. When you take your temperature it may say its normal but inside your body is the main problem. Its nothing really to worry about at all and its just to get some heat within your kidneys and main organs:) However, if there painful you might want to get checked out by your GP, just to be on the safe side: D Hope i was abit of help.  
In reading this forum, I see other problems along with the chills and I would suggest another column for those whose only symptom is chills.  My blood tests, including parasites, urine cultures, stool cultures, and other medical test are negative.  I eat totally organic diet including meat, drink 24 oz water per day, take numerous vitamins and supplements and still these chills or spasms consume my life.  I sleep on top a heated mattress cover with small space heater by the bed and still my body shakes from the chills.  If anything touches my skin that is cold, the feel of the cold will cause me to experience more chills. It can be so bad that I have severely burned my skin, requiring medical treatment, trying to stay close to space heater to keep warm.  Only sunlight and radiant heat will cause me to feel warm, other types of heat don't help me.  I am extremely cold intolerant and the only time I feel almost comfortable is when the room temperature is about 80 F.  So when the only main symptom is extreme body chills, without any skin tingling or cold skin, I would like to know really bad how to fix this?  Maybe there are people biologically born with very low body temperatures and can take a lot more hot weather than other people and if this is true, then there is not a fix for us.
hormones--not enough estrogen. but that is good, though. too much of this hormone might cause breast cancer.  this is just a comment.  i  never had chills until i started taking the cancer med to make body stop making estrogen.
The other morning i woke up after my first experience with an evant of flush of night chills and twitching muscles. I to have been to many pt sessions over the last 2 years with no cure. My problem is back pain and sciatica. I'm not sure if this helps but look up Thalamic Storm. When the body cannot handle its problems and pain this could happen. I have found a Chiropractic Doctor who can help me, fingers crossed. God Bless to all. Paula
I have read all your posts! I have the same symptoms as all of u I have had them off n on for years the only thing the doctors are finding wrong is my ana is really really high. But the rhemytologist I see says all other blood work is fine and she see,s no sign of any autoimmune disease. But I have other symptoms besides chills n no fever can any of you tell me if you ever got help or found out what is going on?
So far the most sensible person seemed to be cybervang. Read this person's comments and then answer one simple question: Is your lifestyle healthy or out of balance. YOU MUST BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF, ladies and gentlemen! Westerners tend to look for "medical causes" for there illness and search for pills for their cure when more often than not it just takes putting yourself back in balance and treating yourself nicer(drink enough water, eat REAL food, EXERCISE more than your texting thumbs, get adequate rest, hhmmmmm? You don't need a doctor to tell you what you yourself already know...
Hello Vegeeto,Hope you feel better now.  My Dad has exactly the same symptom like what you had for the last 2 months.  I took him to see all different specialist with no diagnose on his symptom.  He did every single test which came back with normal.  But the terrible chills woke him up the midle of night everyday, now it extended to the day time.  He is suffering with lack of sleep, feels fatigue.  He is 80yrs old and almost lost hope on it... don't know who can help as doctors can't.  So, i searched on line to hope find some solutions from someone who has been suffered and got treated.  BTW, neurologist said he has low in serotonin, prescribed Celaxa, but it makes my dad feel worse after taking it... we gave up.  Now, i run out of ideas on which doctor to see.  Hope someone can help!  Thanks if you can share further information on your situation.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your body might have trouble maintaining homeostasis(temperature wise) OR when you get an infection, you get chills when white blood cells send messages to you brain to constrict your blood vessels to make you shiver and raise body temp. You may have an issue with your nerves, white blood cells, or blood vessels. ALSO: If you really need a good sleep (I've noticed many people comment about this), take 2 Benadryl 45min before going to bed. You will be out cold...no pun intended. **Check with your doctor first to make sure that mixing it with your current medications is safe!!**
Started feeling like I was coming down with a cold during Superbowl sunday and sure enough, had a cold till wednesday. Since I was feeling fine! On Thursday I had a beer right after work and a couple of hrs later started getting the chills w/all symptoms above but they would only last about 3 hrs then I was fine. I thought it was related to my cold but whatever so the next day I have a drink again and the same thing happened. Today is the 3rd day (Saturday) and I had a couple of cold ones earlier and right now I've got the chills even though by now they are subsiding. Will not drink tomorrow and see what happens. Im glad I found this forum.
Paraneoplastic syndrome is extremely rare. There are 9 separate sub categories listed under this syndrome. What many of you are experiencing as chills could possibly be micro-seizures or nerve tingling along the skin. My wife suffered from many of the same symptoms posted over the last few years on this site. However, our neurologist isolated her problem in a matter of months. Every normal and some very expensive tests were run on her and showed nothing. A CAT scan was done from head to toe and one extremely small spot on her left kidney was the only thing which needed investigating. They found a very early stage one clear cell cancer growth. The kidney has been removed but the same symptoms still persist. Our doctor expects many months to pass before we see a reduction of symptoms...if any. This paraneoplastic syndrome is extremely rare and many people do not have a clue until it is too late and cancer has become a major problem or they are missed diagnosed with Alzheimer’s because their memory can be affected.  Do not panic, just look it up and read everything you can. Then ask your doctor about the possibility.
I take MACA from the health food store to balance my hormones.
Have the same symptons--
Has anyone considered that drug companies are creating viruses that keep us buying their crap, and dump them into public places where they thrive and reproduce... in us? Viruses developed in the lab?
A gift that keeps on giving!
Don't get to attached to the Tylenol.
Hi I also get these chills but for me i realized that it would mostly happen when my blood pressure was high.  try taking your blood pressure when you are having these chills.  also i stopped taking anti anxiety medication and i would also get chills so i would have to take 1/3 of the pill to feel better.  b12 deficiency is also another cause.  hope this helps.
Hi have my brother has recently been diagnosed with dysautonomia.

He suffers with chills, high blood pressure and anxiety, and takes beta blockers and blood pressure tablets. The beta blockers help his anxiety. IF he doesnt take them then he gets worse.

CHILLS.....

The autonomic nervous system controls many things, and one is circulation. IF someone is stressed or taking certain medication, or has an underlying disease, virus, auto immune condition, Fibromyalgia, nervous system disease including M.E. this can cause the body to feel FREEZING COLD, even to the point of shivering.

Basically the autonomic nervous system is OUT OF CONTROL. The switch is stuck on high and can affect the nervous system.

I could have MS or M.E. or Lupus, and I get these periods of feeling totally freezing.

Another thing is SMOKING can give you this as it affects the circulation. My husband smokes and sits on top of the fire even in the summer.

Certain medication can cause this.

Hypothrodisim can cause this so can diabetes and iron defiency.

Oh and stress too....

yes, precisely as you list
I'm only 19 years old my bones feel like chillie and I get major headaches abd fever I get it too often it prevents me from talking care of my daughter :( I eat right exercise and drink vitemuns and water :/ idk Wat is but I need help
yes, precisely as you list
I am 38yr old female, I started getting chills about a year ago, they are in my back very strong like I hv ice cubes on my spinal cord. usually more severe fr the area right between my shoulder blades but the chills spread thru mu whole back,so strong it hurts, not much pain really but very uncomfortable, The only thing that helps is lying on my heating pad, I put it right in the center between my shouder blades, these episoded happen anytime but are worse by far at night and  noticed that they come about 7-10 days before my monthly cycle so that leads me to believe it's hormone related, idk?? It's only in my back focused on my spine!.....???
I currently have these symptoms and I have been getting them for some time now. That is the reason I came across this. I feel very cold and my body aches. I also have a headache but with these chills and aches it is now hard to feel. It feels like a fever but I check and there is no fever. Sometimes it will last a week and sometimes just one day. I am at a loss on what to do.
You might have Fibromyalgia.  This just happened to me two days ago - and lasted for about 2 days.  At the same time, I had severe swelling in my ankles and hands/fingers, and a sensation of heat on my face, although I did not have a fever.  It must be a nerve issue....
I have the exact same thing. For the evenings when your face gets really warm and red, have you been outside in the sun (even for a little while) or sat in an office with UV florescent lights? I have this same thing, and I feel very warm like the heat is seeping out of my face -and my husband says I am very red and I feel warm. No fever. I have psoriatic arthritis and my rheumatologist says the red/warm face is a photo-sensitivity caused by either the sun or the UV lights.
The bone aching cold chills - I have yet to figure out. But I see him again in a week and plan to ask. I am newly started on Enbrel and methotrexate and wonder if this could be the cause.
I will try to keep you updated on what I find.
Peace
Laura
i have these symtoms (symptoms) so bad.did yo ever find out what it was. i hope so.
Hi Angellex, how long did it take you to have treatment with the chiropractor before you fell better. I also have bad heartburn and chills. If possible, where and what is your doctor name? Many thanks!
Hello to ALL with the shivers,

2 month ago I came across this forum looking for answers to my incessant shivers. I did not find the answer, so I embarked on personal journey to find one. And I did!

Through self-inquiry I came to realize that I did not have shivers when I wake up; they appeared about 20 min after breakfast and continued for several hours. Then, they would fade and re-start in the early evening.

So, I looked at my food intake (breakfast and afternoon) and what did I have? COFFEE (oh, yes, lovely, organic and home brewed). I eliminated coffee and my shivers disappeared!  Inspired by this success I went on elimination diet for 12 days and this really made a difference; so many nagging symptoms simply vanished. My mood became very stable and happy, no more struggles getting up in the morning, no more afternoon slump, constant hunger. Instead I have increased energy and self-confidence. I also got rid of my angina that has been nagging me for about 4 years. The most surprising, however, is the fact that I had to lower my thyroid medication as my previous dose of Armour Thyroid (45 mg) started to give me hyperthyroid symptoms. I am now down to 25mg.

Through this diet I found out that I am sensitive to coffee, green and black tea, dairy (even my favourite yoghurt and organic butter), gluten, chicken and tomatoes.

I can say with some confidence that in many cases, shivers may indicate allergy or sensitivity to a particular food.

I need to mention that my diet for many years now has been impeccable, with mostly organic, healthy foods and absolutely no junk food of any kind. It turned out that consuming foods that were incompatible with me made me feel very unwell.

Lastly, I  dropped 3 pounds without any effort at slimming.

I followed the book Diet Wise by Dr. Keith Scott Mumby. His elimination diet is easy and pleasant.) I did all the testing but decided to stay on his plan  (with few additions) as I feel great, never hungry and get all the nutrients I need

I looked up this forum again to share with you my success, and perhaps inspire you to try Diet Wise. It really works!
Hi Sweetie!
Your story really touched me- you are waaaaay tooo young to suffer like this. Please - all of you- rent yourself "the secret" on audio, video or book. It will change your symptoms and your life!!! with much love, Laura
Hi I have been taking statins for many years. I have been experiencing the chills for about four years.
I take Atenolol and experience the chills too.  However, I've taken the Atenolol for a year and only started having the chills about 3 months ago so I'm not sure if they're related, although I've suspected they are.
Hello
iam having the same proplem and ilost my jobs my freinds my social life because of this,
3. Joint aches
Also....
9. Rarely take medication
10. Almost never gets sick

Yes, I have been having these same attacks for over 12 years now. Always in the evening or during the night - it never happens once I am asleep
The shivering continues even if I am in a very hot bath. The joint aches are so severe that it fulls as though I am pulled limb from limb and involve a fair amount of body contortions without my being able to control it. The shaking is so severy that I cannot stand up straight or hold anything in my hands.
The attacks happen so sporadically and seem to have no relation to food, stress etc. Sometimes 6 months will go past without one and then I will be hit with 2 in a row. Lately, I have noticed a bad headache while the attacks are taking place and nausea which does sometimes lead to actually being sick.
I have had complete blood work tests - all negative. I have been tested for Malaria, thyroid problems and aneamia - all negative.I am very healthy otherwise and this is probably why the doctors are't too worried - I just feel I am getting older and I don't know if my body can take the strain of these indefinitely.

Any clues you have would be hugely appreciated.
Wow, I am shocked to see how many people here have the same exact thing I have been experiencing for the past few years.  I'm mid-30s female with no children.  It happens only at night in bed, sometime it will wake me up, but usually it's just as I've woken up to get a drink, use the restroom, etc.  It comes on so suddenly, and I'm just incredibly freezing.  I'm shaking so hard my teeth rattle, I have goosebumps, and I just have to pile on blankets or robes and lie as still as possible, just shaking.  I usually stay this way until I fall asleep.  The feeling of coldness is so deep in my bones it literally hurts.  I can go from a perfectly comfortable sleep in a normal temp room, to suddenly so freezing I'm shivering uncontrollably.  It happens once every few months, and I can't find anything to connect it to.  I do have Type 1 diabetes and Crohn's disease, but I don't know how these would relate.  I'm just amazed there are so many other people out there with this exact issue.  Maybe one day we'll know what's happening to us.
wow i cant believe how many people are going through this. I have been suffering this problem for about 4 years now.It started the day i was due to leave hospital with my new born.I felt really drained,my head felt tight and tingly and i started to shake and felt absolutely frozen.I thought it may have been from the severe blood loss i just had and didn't worry too much.10 days later i made my hubby take me to the ER cos i could not stop shaking and thought i may be having a hypo due to having had gestational diabetes.They run a number of tests and found nothing. It subsided for a while and then came back.I find before it comes on that i feel really tired an feel full  and bloated. My neck starts feeling stiff then it moves all over.I feel frozen but yet hot.Like my blood is running cold. I tremble like a leaf in a wind storm for about 10 min then it goes away.Other times i just feel frozen,even when i am in front of the fire and a hot bath or hot bed will calm me down.I have always put it down to hormone changes as i am perimenapause and suffer anxiety attacks due to it as well.I have rheumatoid arthritis as well and know its nothing to do with that.My thyroid is fine,hormones tested fine,blood work is fine so blow me down i have no idea whats going on.I looked up all the symptoms i have and the fact that i had my tubes tied came into the equation and many others said they also had the same symptoms afterwards.If men are also having these chills then the hormone thing can be ruled out unless we have an over production of testosterone.Any one with an answer please help cos i am at my wits end.
...I had the "Chill Problem" on and off for some years.I had Pain in All
Of my Joints,could Barely Walk at times?..(by the way,I am Replying to the Original Post-by Danielle).  So,during a check-up in the hospital about 4
years ago,Doc was sitting in my room,perplexed-all of my tests seemed
Within Normal ranges. So I pipe up and say..."I was reading a story about
A lady (in a Health Digest), and She had the same Symptoms as Me,"
    He said,"What was the Diagnosis?"... And I replied "Fibromyalgia". Doc
Looked Stunned,jumped to his feet, and said,"I'm Ordering Up some More
tests right away!". Within 1 day and a half,I was discharged, and I had my
Pain-Type pills.I Still get Chilled and have a few Frozen Attacks, but I can
Stay on Top of this thing now, because the medication Helps.
Hello:) I started to experience chills last year when i was VERY ILL and had 2 surgeries 10 days apart, i  did have a Urinary Tract Infection as well , so i thought that might be the cause,but i was treated for that in the hospital and it showed negative when all the antibiotics were given and i gave a Urine Specimen.I was SOOOO incredibly cold, freezing when i was in the hospital although i had several blankets on me @ all times..After i returned home after 19 days, i still had the chills on and off for about 1 month or so, then they were gone !! I never had a fever either.They did return a few months later , so NOW i still get them periodically.Tonight they started again, so i decided to go on line to see what information i could obtain.ALL the comments you and all the others made are exactly what i have been experiencing, so now im thinking it could be sooo many things,so im going to start by eating better, going to the chiropractor and drinking ALOT of water.I don't have insurance sooo i can't go to the Doctor,but iam going to start taking vitimins as well.Thank you for your comments, Martha
Like u say your completely healthy, it could be as simple as getting blood drawn to check for hormonnial imbalance. Don't let everyone spook you out.take care god bless.
I had the chils last week just before I was getting ready for bed.  I felt like lightening bolts of chills travelled up and down my body and then the tremors started and the shaking and teeth chattering.  I actually think I passed out because when I woke up, I was radiating so much heat I could feel it a foot away from the top of my head.  I actually turned on the light to see if my skin had been burned.  The soles of my feet ached for 3 days like someone had beaten me with a cane.  I now sleep with a heating blanket at all times, even now, in August.  I was so weak the next day, I couldn't even get out of bed or eat.  I hope I never go through that again, and I hope the rest of you get to feeling better!
I was having these same symptoms for a few years. Seemed to get worse and more frequent when fatigued. Something I read made me decide to stop taking low dose aspirin regimine. I have not had these chills for almost a year. Have my fingers crossed that the aspirin was causing it and this will not happen again. Hope this helps someone.
You really need a thyroid scan and uptake.  I fought drs for a long time because all blood work came back normal.  When they finally did scan and uptake guess what it wasn't normal.  There have been no good thyroid studies done since the 1940's which is one of the reasons that thyroid disorders is one of the most undiagnosed problems in this country
Something interesting you may want to try....believe or not, some licensed psychologists can help you 'train your brain' to increase blood flow to your extremities. Usually, this treatment is for people with poor circulation or a lot of stress that leads to them having cold hands or feet all of the time. This training is called "biofeedback training", and is fairly common. It probably will not be able to cure your chills.
     If your doctors confirm your chills are not due to something like a viral or bacterial infection (the most common cause), or other causes, you might want to try to alleviate some of your symptoms with biofeedback training. If you can increase blood flow to certain areas of your body, you may feel warmer and subside your chills a bit.
     Usually this is accomplished in only a few sessions. You may even be able to find some videos online. It can help keep you calm in stressful situations too :)
I was shocked to read your post as I have very similar symptoms.  I am a 48 year old male and had this for about 15 years now.  Take blood pressure meds, low dose aspiran.  I seem to notice more when tired, end of week usually Fridays.  Doctors tested thyroid and other items, no luck.  Doctor suggested I get blood drawn when chills begin...not sure as this happens at night and no one can touch me, let alone stick a needle in my vein.  If anyone has idea, please respond.  
I have had the  sudden severe chill syndrome for the last 45 years, usually a few episodes per year, that are not related to any illness. Last night I had a rather severe one, so did a web search for the first time and came across this one.
There are always a few common factors for me. Most often after eating at a restaurant, then going outside when the temperature is around 30 to 40 degrees, often with humidity higher than 50%.
Usually at night
A few years ago, it got hit after leaving a restaurant with my older brother who drove that night. While shaking uncontrollably, I notice he did not start the car, because his hand was shaking too badly. It was the first time we knew the other had this problem. So maybe they will find a genetic root cause some day.
I have had these same symptoms starting in June.  I have also been to numerous doctors and blood tests - all normal.  The chills feel as though they are inside my body and not skin surface - although I do get those as well.  I have needed to wear a jacket in a restaurat or move theater because I get cold - when others dont because they are not.  But the chills, feeling warm and flushed - all with no fever, happen frequently. I have generally low body temps in the 96 to 97.5 range is my normal.  Have you learned anything further?
Viewing 1-200 comments: