Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Why won't eating stop my hunger?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Why won't eating stop my hunger?

For the past week, I have felt insanely hungry.  Eating--sweets, salts, meats, dairy, grains, nuts, beans, salads--does nothing to diminish the sensation of emptiness.  As an example, I just ate a huge bowl of granola cereal with low-fat plain yogurt, low-fat milk, and fresh raspberries, and although I can feel physical distension in my gut, my brain/stomach is saying I must just have picked the wrong food, and should try again (even tho I know there's no room for anything else right now!).  Following up with a couple of slices of prosciutto and a few pecan sandies on top of it didn't do the trick.  I will try a banana next, if I decide to push the limits of what will fit.  I know that greens are obviously absent from this list, but last night's sizeable spinach salad with several slices of tempeh, black beans, kohlrabi, and carrots also left me starving at its conclusion.  I know from experience what the munchies are like--this is a far more intense and insatiable hunger.

Some factors that may be important in making a diagnosis:
*After ~1.5 years of taking Effexor @ 150mg/day, I quit cold turkey 3 weeks ago (not under doctor's supervision).
*I had a lot of pre-surgical bloodwork done in late February, and everything came out normal
*A meningioma that was crushing my spinal cord at T1&T2 was removed in March, which brought back several sensations and functions that were temporarily off-line; however, loss of appetite wasn't one of the issues, so this probably doesn't represent a "return with a vengeance" of stomach awareness.
*Round about the time these symptoms started, I ate an old chunk of cheddar from which I did not thoroughly scrape all the mold.  I'm worried that I may have just pushed my intestinal flora composition too far this time by that, and perhaps some ulcer-inducing bacteria has established a new order in my GI tract.  But then again, it could have been this crazy hunger that led me to indiscriminately eat that honestly otherwise untempting block of cheese (about the size of half a stick of butter--I'd hoped it would sit nice and heavy in there and cure my food urge).  
*I do not have a history of heartburn/acid reflux; however, I have on several occasions in my lifetime felt like there was a giant bubble in my thorax, and I kind of feel like there's one there now.
*Not sure that this would be related at all, but...I've had consistent dull back ache since the meningioma removal (expected), but concomitant with the hunger this past week I've also been feeling a sensation of sternum and rib ache.
*I frequent a dog park with my dog.

Anyone willing to hazard a guess about what's causing this and how best to treat it?  Thanks!
  • nerve pain (1 replies):
    I had brain surgery for on Nov.2003 to remove a meningio...[more]
1 Comment
Doing a google search for "effexor withdrawal" and "hunger" turned up a lot of hits.  Sounds like it's probably the effexor.
My name is Mark. I can't stop this hunger. I've been having the same problem for months. Did you find any answers?i have never used Effexor so I don't think that's the problem.please help me you can email me at
mark-***@****