Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Worried about possible transmission to 11 mo old grand daughter :(
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Worried about possible transmission to 11 mo old grand daughter :(

Am telling myself chance is very slim, but still fear persists...  About a wk ago while bathing my 11 mo old grand daughter I forgot for just a sec that I had a bandaid (with dried blood on it) on my left hand, was bathing her poor little diaper rashed bottom when I put my left hand in the water for just a second or 2 til I remembered my cut, at that point I snatched mt left hand out of the water and washed her bottom with antibacterial soap ( I don't know if it has any antiviral activity, rinsed her and quickly got her out of the tub. After drying her I applied zinc oxide diaper rash cream and tried to forget the incident.(Not too successfully obviously!!!)  I wouldn't worry so much if her bottom hadn't had such a nasty rash with broken skin.  Am I worrying needlessly? God I hope so!!! Anyone have any input?
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
I'm no expert, but.......unless you have some sort of illness (and I'm thinking HIV or something) that could be transferred to your grand-daughter through your blood I don't see any need to worry.  Blood by itself is not harmful to anyone.  Are you worried about transmitting something specific?
Blank
Im not an expert either, but I would say transmission of anything would be pretty near impossible!
Blank
HIV is a blood borne disease, transmitted via blood. If we are talking blood transmission of HIV, then transmission to the child or anyone can be done only if the blood was fresh and the child had an open wound receptive to that blood. Fresh air will kill the HIV virus in a short time. I have never heard that HIV, even in fresh blood, being transmitted via water.  HIV is easily killed outside the body and cannot live on surfaces once it dried up. If the problem is HIV, it was probably dead already if the blood is dried up.  Hep C can be transmitted even if the blood is dried up, but again the child would have to have an open wound herself.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank