Xiphoid/sternum
I had adrenal tumor surgery 2 years ago.  Every since the surgery, I have had extreme pain down the middle of my chest.  There is a protrusion at the point where the Xiphoid is located.  I just recently received the results from an MRI of my abdominal/chest.  The test stated that my righ rectus adominis muscle is athrophy and my left rectus adominis muscle is heteregeneous and demonstrates some athrophy.  It also stated that there was some post surgical materials in the subxiphoid and sucanteaneous tissue.  I have been in pain for two years and gone to numerous doctors from city to city.  Does this report mean that maybe my xiphoid is damaged, contains post surgical materials?  Has anyone have this happen after surgery?  If so, what should be my next step for trying to figure out what is going on with my chest?
what you need to first is to get the extra surgical materials removed. Unless they are made of medical grade stainless steel (ie bone pins, etc) they shouldn't be there, and if your muscles are becoming atrophyed, why is that?  you need to figure out what is causing that - I'll bet that is where the pain is coming from!

my 2¢
Thank you so much for your concern and response.  I am in the process of making an appointment with John Hopkins to determine what the post surgical material is.  I have learned since that the xiphoid has something to do with the rectus muscles.  I am thinking that because the area is giving me a problem, it is also causing the muscles in that area to atrophy.  

It has been two long years and a work in progress.  I have asked five surgeons (General and Plastic), three Primary Care doctors, three physical therapist, 2 pain medicine doctors, my ob gyn, my endocrinologist, my gastrologist, two accupuntrist, and a chiropractice and none of them can tell me how or what I should do.

I have taken measures into my own hands and I am scheduling the appointment at John Hopkins.  I spoke with them today.  Wish me well...