Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
abdominal and lower back pain, headache, neck pain

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

2/12/07 I had sudden onset of abdominal pain and lower back pain
I had eaten a small meal an hour before

Since this time, I have had nausea in the morning, dry heaves and a feeling something is stuck in my throat

I have also experienced constipation followed by diarhea (diarrhea)

I have been given Nexium, Zegerid and Prevasid which work for about 2 days and symptoms return

My meals have consisted of scrambled eggs, toast, yogurt and my appetite is minimal at best

I have had an abdominal cat scan with no blockage found and an IVP for blood found in the urine  It was not found a 2nd time but a cystology is scheduled for later April

I am scheduled for a endoscopy April 26

The pain is constant with me taking hydrocodone on Saturday I also tried bentyl  It seems to alleviate overnight but with daily movement , pain increases during the day

I am a survivor of breast cancer (2005) and am worried this may be ob/gyn rather than gastro

I can not tolerate the constant pain and the unknowing
I do not have a temp
I am able to sleep
I am afraid to eat
Possible GI causes of the symptoms could include GERD, an ulcer, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, or gastroparesis.  

I would consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy to comprehensively evaluate the stomach, esophagus and small bowel.  A blood test for H Pylori can be considered as well - this is a bacteria that is associated with ulcers or inflammation.

If negative, a gastric emptying scan can be considered to rule out gastroparesis.  Blood tests for diabetes or thyroid function can also be done.  

Regarding the blood in the urine, I agree with the cystoscopy.  An ultrasound of the kidneys can also be done to exclude intrinsic kidney disease.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.  Appropriate referrals to a GI physician or urologist can also be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
This is additional info from me

I am 53 and menopausal , with the help of Aromasin , treating the return of breast cancer
I have very similar symptoms and I have googled these two other illnesses which could be what you and I are experiencing-I had a endoscopy, ct scan, ultrasound, stool and all looked normal yet I feel anything but normal! Do you still have your gallbladder? This might be gallstones  but in my case I had mine removed 9 months ago. Some possibilities which had similar symptoms on one of the web checkers were -hepatitis A and pancreatitis, so you might want to check those out too. I've had ulcers before and this isn't even close to ulcer pain. This is a dull constant pain in my case and I'm tired of it.
good luck to you.
nancy, you might have an infected gallbladder, I re- read your post and thats kind of how I felt prior to having it removed. Get on an antibiotic and go see a GI specialist, All I could eat was yogurt, chicken broth and weak juice. They will need to do an ultrasound to measure to see if your gallbladder walls have thickened, a sign of infection. You need to get this taken care of ASAP because this could be potentially life threatening. I was ill for a month prior to my urgent surgery. I hope this helps you!
When I posted my first thread I didn't inclue the fact that I've also experienced some lower back ache, right across the area of my tail bone.  When I walk a lot of just stand awhile my back gets achey (achy) and "tired".  I don't know if that is associationed with my rib and side discomfort or not.  Also, I am  female,65 and have four children.  I was dignosed with depression about 25 yrs. ago and treated for it off and on since then.