abdominal lump
i have recently discovered a lump in my abdomen. it is about the size of my fist and seems to have appeared over the last week. it is under the skin, very firm and i can move it, but it does not hurt. it is about in line with my hip and to the left of my tummy button. i am worried as to what this could be and was wondering if you could help. i have recently taken up excercise and was wondering if it could be muscle or something more serious. i do not have it anywhere else.

It could be nothing to worry about - just fat tissue.

Most often, a lump in the abdomen is caused by a hernia. An abdominal hernia occurs when there is an area where the muscles are weak, and this allows the internal organs to bulge through the abdominal wall.

The further plan of management would involve -

'-Blood tests including full blood count, electrolytes, urea, creatinine, liver function tests, pregnancy test and lipase.
-Urinalysis
-Imaging including erect chest X-ray and plain films of the abdomen
-An electrocardiograph to rule out a heart attack which can occasionally present as abdominal pain

If diagnosis remains unclear after history, examination and basic investigations as above then more advanced investigations may reveal a diagnosis. These as such would include

-Computed Tomography of the abdomen/pelvis
-Abdominal or pelvic ultrasound
-Endoscopy and colonoscopy'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_pain

Let us know about what your doctor advises and if you need any further information.

Regards.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.