Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
ankle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

ankle pain

One night while at work I stood up out of my chair and my ankle hurt so bad that I could hardly walk. I have not injured it or had an ankle pain in my whole life. This is very painful and upsetting because I cannot be active like I'm used to being. What could it be? I have no ideas at all, please help me.
Sudden ankle pain can be due to a variety of causes:
Sprain: Very common and you will have a feeling of twisting along with swelling
Achilles tendon rupture: can occur after activities such as jumping and patient will complain of feeling like he was “kicked” behind the ankle.
Tendonitis/Arthritis: Leads to joint inflammation and the pain is accompanied with swelling, stiffness or warmth
Psuedogout : due to deposition of crystals and presents with joint swelling and pain
Infections

There are a lot of other causes for ankle pain. You should consult your doctor for an examination (including xray, ultrasound/MRI) to find out the cause so that correct treatment can be given.

In the meanwhile, you can try soaking the ankle in warm water (if you have only pain), applying ice (if swelling is also present) and try mild pain relieving ointments.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

I was watching TV with my feet on the ottoman. I moved my left foot (just a small movement) and it is like my ankle caught! Big pain, and I felt like I couldn't walk or move my foot! I did try to "walk it off", thinking it could be just a catch in my foot, but it didn't help. I couldn't hardly lift toes off the ground, but I could rotate my foot back and forth from side to side. It has been a week of "RICE" and as much IB as I could take, and the swelling (around my ankle) has gone down SOME, but the pain is still there. I did sprain this ankle about two years ago, but didn't go to the DR. I haven't had any other problems with it until now. Could it have been cracked? Why did this happen without no apparent injury?! I do not have insurance and I am hesitent to have x-rays if it is just a flux that I can treat at home. How long should I put off going to the dr.? Please help! Thank You!
A related discussion, sharp pain below right ankle was started.