ball in neck
i have a ball in my neck just under my ear on the left, i feel pain when i move my neck and it hurts to the touch. what could this be and should i be worried?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
The ball like mass could be a swollen lymph node or an abscess or a folliculits. It could also be a neurofibroma or a lipoma.
“Lymph nodes can become swollen from infection, inflammatory conditions, an abscess, or cancer. Other causes of enlarged lymph nodes are rare. By far, the most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is infection.
When swelling appears suddenly and is painful, it is usually caused by injury or an infection. Enlargement that comes on gradually and painlessly may, in some cases, result from cancer or a tumor.”
Refer: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003097.htm
Ear infection, dental caries and scalp infection should be looked for.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. A fine needle biopsy of a CT scan can tell for sure what the lump is. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.