Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
bloated stomach and inconsistent bowel movements

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am 40 yrs old and take no medicine or any drugs , I also do not drink alcohol. I have never had a nervous stomach or any digestive problems, that being said........out of nowhere for about 3-4 weeks now I have had a constant bloated feeling. Bowel movements have been inconsistent but daily. Usually not floaters with normal brownish color , no blood or mucas that I can tell. My stomach aches sometimes in the morning after sleeping 6-7 hrs (feels like I did a 100 situps) but tends to go away as i get up and move around. I have noticed stool shape is sometimes flat but not always. I would like to take something over the counter to alleviate the bloating but I don't want to compound or aggrivate the problem either. Any suggestions I appreciate - I'm trying to avoid the docter and the time that will involve if possible.

Thanks,
Steve
Might be irritable bowel syndrome. I've had symptoms very close to your's.  Any burning in the stomach or acid reflux?
No burning or acid reflux (assuming thats heartburn)....I've never had heartburn or any indigestion at all that I can remember. Thats why it puzzles me cause there is no history of any problems at all and this came from out of nowhere.
I have had soreness below ribcage on left side that comes and goes and soreness in lower back also that comes and goes. I think my whole insides are inflamed from whatever this is. It' pissing me off, I'm not use to having any physical problems.

If it is IBS, and your probably right cause all the reading i've done leads me to that, what is it i could take over the counter to give my stomach some relief from the bloating, maybe if I relieve the bloating the rest will subside as well.

Thanks for the reply
steve
Hi Steve

It definately sounds like IBS. I have the same symptoms. I just had a colonoscopy 3 weeks ago and got back the results yesterday. I was diagnosed with IBS - thank god it was just that!

Anyway, my doctor recommended for me to add more fiber to my diet. My IBS is on the diarrhea side. I also have the flat stools sometimes. Also the bloated stomach and horrible stomach pain. It feels just like you described - feels like I did 100 sit-ups! Are you sure sometimes your stomach doesn't feel like it's burning? Mine felt this way only once.

If you are concerned just see you doctor.

Bloating is any abnormal general swelling, or increase in diameter of the abdominal area. As a symptom, the patient feels a full and tight abdomen, which may cause abdominal pain sometimes accompanied by borborygmus.

Common causes for abdominal bloating are:

* Overeating (gastric distension)
    * Lactose intolerance, fructose intolerance and other food intolerances
    * Food allergy
    * Aerophagia (air swallowing, a nervous habit)
    * Irritable bowel syndrome
The symptom of bloating can be well managed through dietary changes that prevent the over-reaction of the gastrocolic reflex. Having soluble fiber foods and supplements, substituting dairy with soy or rice products, being careful with fresh fruits and vegetables that are high in insoluble fiber, and eating regular small amounts can all help to lessen the symptoms. Foods and beverages to be avoided or minimized include red meat, oily, fatty and fried products, dairy (even when there is no lactose intolerance), solid chocolate, coffee (regular and decaffeinated), alcohol, carbonated beverages, especially those also containing sorbitol, and artificial sweeteners.

Hope this helped. Let us know if you need any more help.
Miralax each is great. My Dr. told me to take even if I have the runs. I take it to even out the water in the intestines and that helps with it a lot.
I eat a lot of fiber each day ( insoluable fiber is very important). I eat All Bran Buds which is new and VERY good each day and an All Bran bar in strawberry too. All this has helped me a lot.
Hope that this helps you too.

Susie