Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
blood in saliva

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

blood in saliva

In the morning when I wake up and spit there is blood in my saliva and the saliva is very dirty. During the day when I spit the saliva is dirty yellow and when I put water in the mouth and again spit then thers is sometimes little blood. What is the cause?
1 Comment

Well, from the description I am not really certain whether the blood is coming from the gums or from the sputum. If it is coming from the gums, then you need to consult a dentist. It can happen if someone is suffering from gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) and it can also occur in the case of Vitamin C deficiency (scurvy) but when it comes with the sputum/phlegm, it is known as Haemoptysis in the medical world. Haemoptysis should be taken seriously and I sincerely advise you to get yourself examined by a chest specialist and you may need to undergo certain tests to find out the exact cause of it. You may need an X-ray of the chest or may be a CT scan of chest. Some common causes of Haemoptysis are tuberculosis of lungs, chronic bronchitis, lung cancer etc.

Well, I don’t want to scare you but simultaneously I don’t want you to be too casual about it. I hope that helps. Pl do keep me posted.

Kind Rgds.