bone fractures and chronic fatigue
My 31 yo son has been suffering from chronic fatigue and spontaneous bone fractures for the past 9 months. His ferritin level is low normal, 47, up from 7, 9 months ago. He's been on remeron for 3 months and his depression and fatigue continue, making life unbearable. He's had multiple tests including a bone marrow to rule out cancer. Most of his labs are in the normal range. He traveled to Indonesia 10 yrs ago and was tested for parasites. We have not been able to figure this out and hope there is some type of expert out there who is able to help us.He was a heavy drinker for about 10 years but stopped 11 months ago with a method of IV amino acids used over a 10 day period. No one seems to think that the Amino Acid treatment could have triggered his current problems. I don't know what to think. I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Ferritin is the total amount of iron stored in the body. If ferritin is low there is a risk for lack in iron which could lead to anemia.Ferritin stores are the last to deplete in anemia.So if ferittin is low,it means that there is severe iron deficiency anemia.

There are three possibilities.First ,it can be due to any disease concerning the liver,spleen or bone marrow(all three store ferritin in them),secondly,it can be due to chronic anemia ; thirdly it can be due to fibromyalgia(a disorder classified by the presence of chronic widespread pain and tactile allodynia(pain even on touching)   or chronic fatigue syndrome(often manifests with widespread myalgia and arthralgia, cognitive difficulties, chronic mental and physical exhaustion)  ,polymyositis (means 'many muscle inflammation').

I feel that an evaluation by a hematologist would be the best.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your son is doing.