Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
bump on the sternocleidomastoid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

bump on the sternocleidomastoid

hi i need someones help to see if i need to be worried. i have a bump on a sternocleidomastoid. it has been there for about 6 months,it is not painfull to touch but sometimes i have a shooting pain comming from that area. i can't see it, i can only feel it. it is about 8mm in diameter. its on top of the muscle, close to the scull. it is hard to touch and immobile. i have not had any previous injuries and i don't have any fatigue, weight loss or night sweats. it has not gotten any bigger. please help me out. i know i have to go to the doctor but i would love to have some incuragement before i do. thanks so much
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A lump in that area that has been for 6 months is most likely a lipoma, a lymph node or a neurofibroma (harmless swellings made up of nerves and fibrous tissues). It could also be a ganglion in the tendon of the muscle or a cyst. Watch the lump. Do not touch everyday but once in 10-15 days. If the lump increases in size, becomes painful, changes color, bleeds, changes shape or consistency or more similar lumps appear then consult a doctor immediately. However it would be a good idea to consult a doctor once and reach at a diagnosis. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!