bump on the sternocleidomastoid
hi i need someones help to see if i need to be worried. i have a bump on a sternocleidomastoid. it has been there for about 6 months,it is not painfull to touch but sometimes i have a shooting pain comming from that area. i can't see it, i can only feel it. it is about 8mm in diameter. its on top of the muscle, close to the scull. it is hard to touch and immobile. i have not had any previous injuries and i don't have any fatigue, weight loss or night sweats. it has not gotten any bigger. please help me out. i know i have to go to the doctor but i would love to have some incuragement before i do. thanks so much
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A lump in that area that has been for 6 months is most likely a lipoma, a lymph node or a neurofibroma (harmless swellings made up of nerves and fibrous tissues). It could also be a ganglion in the tendon of the muscle or a cyst. Watch the lump. Do not touch everyday but once in 10-15 days. If the lump increases in size, becomes painful, changes color, bleeds, changes shape or consistency or more similar lumps appear then consult a doctor immediately. However it would be a good idea to consult a doctor once and reach at a diagnosis. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!