burning base of skull
I started having pain at the base of my skull that radiates up into the head that sorta burns. It has been happening for months now, It used to happen once everyother week well now it is happening 2-3 times a day. i went to my doctor and told her the symptoms such as of course left base of skull pain, major left eye twitching, eyes going blurry, extreme tiredness, moderte hair loss, pressure, and just over all not feeling well. she ordered blood work which came back normal and ordered a mra/mri of the brain. All tests came back normal, except i have a 5mm pineal cyst. my question is, What could all these symptoms mean? could the pineal cyst be an issue?
Hi! Pineal cyst is unlikely to be the cause. There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Take care!
I got this from WIKIPEDIA: A pineal gland cyst is a benign cyst in the pineal gland, a small endocrine gland in the brain. Historicly, these fluid-filled bodies appeared on 1-4% of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) brain scans, but were more frequent at death, seen in 21-41% of autopsies.[1] But a 2007 study by Pua et al. found a frequency of 23% in brain scans (with a mean largest inner cross-sectional diameter of .43 cm), with an insignificantly higher frequency for women over men.[1]
These smaller cysts (less than .50 cm) are usually asymptomatic, but for larger cysts (greater than .50 cm), possible symptoms could include headache, visual disturbances, light sensitivity, circadian rhythm dysfunction, or hydrocephalus if the cyst impinged on the superior colliculi or caused obstruction of the cerebral aqueduct.
The National Organization for Rare Disorders says that pineal cysts larger than .50 cm are "rare findings" and are possibly symptomatic. If narrowing of the aqueduct of sylvius occurs, many neurological symptoms may exist, including headaches, vertigo, nausea, eye sensitivity, and ataxia. Continued monitoring of the cyst might be recommended to monitor its growth, and surgery may be necessary
It could be Occiptal Neuralgia
One doctor says it is occiptal neuralgia but then i went to the neurologist and he thinks more ice pick headaches and the eye twitching is stress stress or fautgue. He told me to put cold packs when i have the pain for the next 2 weeks. if that doesn't help he might try me on topamas 25mg, (what is this). his exact word are: consideration of an occipital nerve block might also be made during an attack. (say what) if the pain continue further scans such as cervical spin and enhanced brain imaging.(like what). he also said possibilities would certainly include occipital neuralgia although she's not typically tender as usually seen. Okay i am more confused now then ever. can you explain any of this to me?