burning in chest after neck surgery
a month ago I had surgery on C4-C5 and C5-C6 with an incision in the front. My throat felt like it was swollen inside and like it was closing up so the Doctor put me on steroids the day after surgery and was on them for a week. Four days ago the pain came back worse than ever. I have a burning pain in the sternum that goes up to the throat. My throat feels like it is closing and the pressure above the chest area feels as if someone is standing on it. When i eat or drink anything it gets worse. Lying down makes it worse and so does walking. Because I went through 15 yrs of seeing doctors because of the tremendous amount of pain I had from my neck with headaches causing seizures and was always told I had fibromyalgia or suffered from depression, I am burnt out from seeing Doctors. Over the years and after having surgery on my kidney, bladder and other organs I was still in severe pain but constantly thrown medication. I started losing all feeling in my hands and arms and couldn't get myself out of bed anymore. Finally, a diagnosis @47 yrs old...I had spinal compression and after the Doctor performed surgery  was told my neck was that of a 90 yr old. I still have other problems but the feeling in the throat and chest is taking over everything. can something have gotten damaged during surgery? I can't take living in pain anymore. I've suffered for so long and now when i thought I had a chance of being pain free, I have this to deal with.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
It is difficult to assess if something went wrong in surgery or the pain is due to acidity and reflux. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. See if this helps.
Also repeated abdominal surgeries can cause adhesions which can in turn cause pulls from different directions. This can cause a lot of pain. Unfortunately, this can only be diagnosed by laparotomy.
If a nerve injury is causing your symptoms, then only a neurologist or your surgeon can ascertain that after examining you. Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, anemia (which can again cause chest pain due to increased bone marrow activity and strain on heart) all worsen after surgery—hence need to be investigated as the cause. Take care!