Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
burning in my colon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

burning in my colon

I have has a recurring burning sensation in my colon area (lower left abdomen) for a while.  It comes and goes.  For the last couple weeks it's been more often and hurts a little more.  And for the past couple of days, it's been unbearable.  I have IBS and have had some constipation here and there.  I had my gall bladder out about 8 yrs ago. Other than that I'm not sure what to do.  It hurts alot.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
There are many things you can do to lessen the discomfort.
"Keep a stress diary. Persons with an irritable bowel have an intestinal system that overreacts to food, stress, and hormonal changes. "Think of your irritable bowel as a built-in barometer, and use it to help you determine what things in your life are most stressful," “Log in your food and beverage intake, too. Certain foods and beverages, just like stress, can activate an irritable bowel, so it's also helpful to record in your diary the foods and beverages that give you the most trouble.”
“Add fiber to your diet. Many people with IBS do much better simply by adding fiber to their dietsFiber tends to be most effective with people who tend toward constipation and small, hard stools, but it may also help you if you're suffering from diarrhea. The best fiber to add to your diet is the nonsoluble type—found in bran, whole grains, fruit, and vegetables.
Call psyllium seed to the rescue. An easy way to increase your fiber intake is with crushed psyllium seed,
Go easy on the bran. If you are adding fiber such as bran to your diet, add it slowly to give your body time to adjust. Too much fiber, too fast, can produce gas”
Read more on this link: http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/47/86.cfm

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Avatar_dr_m_tn

The various possibilities which present with such pain in the lower left abdomen are diverticulitis, Crohn’s disease, bowel obstruction, ovarian cysts and pelvic inflammatory disease,irritable bowel syndrome , kidney obstruction or pyelonephritis, psoas abscess  and volvolus (twisting of the sigmoid part of the large bowel on itself).In your case,it can be due to worsening of IBS.Are you taking any medication for it?

Investigations like ultrasound abdomen, CT abdomen and colonoscopy are required to confirm a diagnosis.My advise is to consult a gastroenterologist and discuss these possibilities with him.Also start with treatment of IBS if you are not taking any.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.