burning sternum pain
About 6 weeks ago, I started getting a sharp burning pain behind my sternum when I tried to jog - the burning pain radiated to my back between my shoulder blades.  When I stopped trying to jog, the sharp burning pain would stop, but a dull pain there (sort of like a chest cold) would remain for several days.  After this went on, I went to the Dr. and had a treadmill test, endoscopy, and the scan with dyes of my upper and lower gi tract.  All tests were clear.  This problem is getting worse and now I can't even bike 1/2 mile without getting this sharp pain and having to stop activity  I am a 55 year old female, not overweight and fairly active.  My Dr. seems to think we have looked at all the possibilities, but with the problems getting worse and aching for days after I try more activity, I don't think so.  Any help would be appreciated.

The various lab tests that you have undergone have ruled out cardiac causes and upper gastrointestinal causes like GERD or dyspepsia.The other possibilities for your symptoms are costochondritis (an inflammation of the joints in your chest. Costochondritis usually goes away on its own. Try an anti-inflammatory medicine to relieve the pain. Heat compresses may also help) , Tietze’s syndrome (a benign, painful, nonsuppurative localized swelling of the costosternal, sternoclavicular, or costochondral joints, most often involving the area of the second and third ribs) , thoracic outlet syndrome((a group of distinct disorders that affect the brachial plexus (nerves that pass into the arms from the neck), and/or the subclavian artery and vein (blood vessels that pass between the chest and upper extremity) ,arthritis of the sternal joints and various lung disorders.

Since you are a female,a breast examination and mammogram are also required to rule out any breast tumor or malignancy.

Without examination,it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis.So I sincerely advise you to consult a physician and discuss these possibilities with him.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing or  if you have any additional queries.